Which Game Platform(s) Do You Use? - AVS Forum
View Poll Results: Which Game Platform(s) Do You Use?
Microsoft Xbox 360 482 25.22%
Nintendo Wii 243 12.72%
Nintendo Wii U 89 4.66%
Sony PlayStation 3 621 32.50%
PC 478 25.01%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 1911. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 218 Old 08-09-2013, 04:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked: 981

Here at AVS Forum, we realize that audio/video enthusiasts do not live by Blu-ray alone—sometimes, they enjoy being more active, so many turn to video games. To address this growing trend, we are ramping up our coverage of this important element in the AV universe with official AVS video-game reviews and new opportunities for members to post their own reviews of games and—coming soon—game consoles in the Reviews section.

To help fine-tune our video-game coverage, we would like to know which currently available game platform(s) you use. In this poll, you can select more than one answer, since we know that many gamers have multiple consoles. What led you to choose the platform(s) you use?

[Irishman] likes this.

Scott Wilkinson
AVS Editor
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 218 Old 08-09-2013, 04:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 89
PC gamer all the way!...nothing beats the higher resolutions, graphics options, mouse and keyboard and overall brute force of a PC...have no intention of buying a console unless the PC dies out
DaverJ, vilfrard, Psythik and 8 others like this.
post #3 of 218 Old 08-09-2013, 04:35 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
PC is my primary platform but i have all of them except the WiiU, for exclusives. Don't have a WiiU yet as i cannot afford it atm.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #4 of 218 Old 08-09-2013, 04:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 276
I game on the big 3. PC, PS3 and 360. and its only because of the games. i really have no real prefrence. I tend to play FPS games on the PC more because of the controls but i also play them on the console mostly because everyone i know only has a console. most people i know don't have a computer, those that do only have one powerful enough to check facebook
vilfrard and xFreshEntrailsX like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 218 Old 08-09-2013, 04:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 205
After not owning a console and only playing a few pc games for years I bought a 360 solely to be a Windows Media Center extender. Now I have about 10 games for it.

Seeing Wreck It Ralph really inspired me to get back into some of the Atari and NES games we had in the house growing up so over the winter I set up the Media Browser plugin Game Browser to launch emulators and I use a Wiimote via bluetooth. I love it.

chirpie likes this.

Integration for whole home ATSC, CableCARD, FM radio, Blu-Ray, HD-DVD, DVD, VHS control & capture, video games, and archived & streaming media playback

Restore the initial MLL on a 2009 Panasonic plasma
post #6 of 218 Old 08-09-2013, 04:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 110
PS3 user here.

I also have a PC and a Wii, but I didn't chose those options. I don't game on my PC and my Wii is mostly for the kids. I do 90% of my gaming on PS3.
TheeGooch likes this.

Stand tall and shake the heavens...
post #7 of 218 Old 08-09-2013, 04:47 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked: 1393
For the guys voting PC....do you usually play connected to your TV/PJ, at a desk, or a little of both?

Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510
post #8 of 218 Old 08-09-2013, 04:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 82
I have 2 PS3s, 2 360s and a high end PC. I like them all.
vilfrard likes this.

Lowell

The MARVELous Home Theater:
post #9 of 218 Old 08-09-2013, 05:05 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 80
I have SNES, PS 1, PS3 and PS 4 Pre-ordered.

I use it for PS3 Media Server, Games, Blu Ray, and NFLX.
vilfrard likes this.

Setups:

post #10 of 218 Old 08-09-2013, 05:05 PM

Liked: 14
PC & PS3 here

post #11 of 218 Old 08-09-2013, 05:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 540 Post(s)
Liked: 818
any console. I currently have the ps3, 360 and wii. and i'm sure in time i'll get one of the new MS or sony consoles as well. although I really hate the idea of a game console being the center of anything.

360 was the first one I bought. I liked the exclusives more, and controllers are still the only ones that don't hurt my hands. it's still my 'go to' platform, and first choice for any multiplatform game.

bought the wii near it's height in popularity. I keep it around because I really think of it as this generations version of twister. as soon as a few friends are over and the adult beverages get opened up, it's the only video game 'normal' ppl can still play and enjoy. it's kind of like the game console for non-gamers in my house

ps3 was the most recent purchase and was bought almost specifically for twisted metal. the decision was make easier by the fact I still didn't have a BD player. it's only used for ps exclusives, and currently I've spent more money on controllers than I have games. still can't find that 'xbox style' controller that works for the ps3. my hands can only take about 10mins of using the ps3 controllers before i'm in pain.

no PC gaming for me, not worth the hassles. i'd end up turning it into a console experience anyway, as I hate the mouse/keyboard thing, and small screen, etc. I like the reliability and consistency of the consoles. it's nice to be able to go to a friends house and get the exact same experience on their console too.

the only gaming I do on the pc is free online stuff to kill time, haha.

in general i'll base my decisions on:
-what games are available for it
-what most of my friends have
-controller/interface

no system is worth a penny if there's no good games to play on it. and most games aren't that much fun to play by yourself all the time, so it's nice to play with friends too. and of course, the WAY the games are played matters to. as much fun as a Kinect or wii game can be, I usually don't play video games because I have energy to burn. it's a lot nicer to sit down and relax.
hyghwayman likes this.

Displays: Samsung PN64F8500/JVC X35
AVR: Pioneer VSX-1018AH, 5.1 audio
Sources: HTPC(Mediabrowser), PS3, XBOX360, Wii, Sony DVP-CX995V
Control: Harmony One
post #12 of 218 Old 08-09-2013, 05:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bd2003 View Post

For the guys voting PC....do you usually play connected to your TV/PJ, at a desk, or a little of both?

I have a separate monitor for my PC (24" NEC 2490WUXi-BK)...I like to have a dedicated monitor for my PC with a separate desk
post #13 of 218 Old 08-09-2013, 05:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked: 312
Quote:

PC connected to a Lumagen Radiance video processor to lightly stretch the game image to fit my 2:35 projection screen.  Many games like Call of Duty: Modern Warfare offer this internally, but I prefer to do it at the hardware level. I use an xbox 360 controller.  This offers the absolute best gaming experience I've ever been privy to: the comfort and theatrics of console gaming, but with the visual fidelity only possible through PC gaming.  I can never go back to gaming at a desk (not hating on those who do game at desks, which--I imagine--is likely the majority of PC gamers.)

Trogdor2010 and TheeGooch like this.

The Build:
| The System:
| The Video Series:

Social:
|
|
|
|
post #14 of 218 Old 08-09-2013, 06:02 PM

Liked: 10
Bought a PS3 because it seemed to me Blue Ray was gaining momentum. The PS3 came with it. Seemed like a no brainer. Wasn't much of a gamer since the SNES died in college. But the PS3 and nephew have really gotten me into it.
post #15 of 218 Old 08-09-2013, 06:07 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
Wii U and Xbox 360.

post #16 of 218 Old 08-09-2013, 06:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 45
PC. I skipped this past generation of consoles, though there are a few exclusives I'd like to play.
Quote:

Desk.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrolicBeast View Post

PC connected to a Lumagen Radiance video processor to lightly stretch the game image to fit my 2:35 projection screen.  Many games like Call of Duty: Modern Warfare offer this internally, but I prefer to do it at the hardware level. I use an xbox 360 controller.  This offers the absolute best gaming experience I've ever been privy to: the comfort and theatrics of console gaming, but with the visual fidelity only possible through PC gaming.  I can never go back to gaming at a desk (not hating on those who do game at desks, which--I imagine--is likely the majority of PC gamers.)
I have a couple friends who play FPS titles with controllers on PC (single player titles), but that's unusable to me. The precision you get with a mouse/keyboard is unparalleled. Besides, kb/mice makes compensating for things like recoil much, much easier (not to mention seat/weapon switching etc). I also find it unusable, or rather, impractical, for RTS games and some third-person games (like ME3). I do use my 360 controller for most other games though. wink.gif
TheeGooch likes this.
post #17 of 218 Old 08-09-2013, 06:28 PM

Liked: 31
I understand you chose the poll around systems needing an external console, for obvious reasons, but in the interests of completeness the GameBoy/DS might be mentioned.
post #18 of 218 Old 08-09-2013, 06:50 PM

Liked: 19
2 PS3 and 3 XBOX 360 Till 2 years ago i was mainly on the Xbox but more MS got greedy i feel that was time to give the PS3 a chance and never looked back
post #19 of 218 Old 08-09-2013, 06:52 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked: 1393
Quote:
Originally Posted by moob View Post

PC. I skipped this past generation of consoles, though there are a few exclusives I'd like to play.
Desk.
I have a couple friends who play FPS titles with controllers on PC (single player titles), but that's unusable to me. The precision you get with a mouse/keyboard is unparalleled. Besides, kb/mice makes compensating for things like recoil much, much easier (not to mention seat/weapon switching etc). I also find it unusable, or rather, impractical, for RTS games and some third-person games (like ME3). I do use my 360 controller for most other games though. wink.gif

I personally have a PC connected to both a desktop monitor w/ mouse and keyboard, and a few 75ft cables running down to my HT setup.  I always play anything that supports it with an Xbox controller in the HT, but for RTS and such I stick to the mouse/kb at the desktop.  Still haven't quite figured out a decent setup for mouse/kb on a couch, although I'm not even sure I'd even use it if I could.

To be honest I'm a little surprised there's such a strong showing on the PC front. Glad to see it though!

Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510
post #20 of 218 Old 08-09-2013, 06:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 205
Quote:

Still haven't quite figured out a decent setup for mouse/kb on a couch

If you do please let me know. I'd love to buy more games like Call of Duty for PC instead of 360. It's not even so much about graphics given that I'm using a Trinity A10 - I just love the idea of the all in one box and being able to launch games from the main home theater front end.

Integration for whole home ATSC, CableCARD, FM radio, Blu-Ray, HD-DVD, DVD, VHS control & capture, video games, and archived & streaming media playback

Restore the initial MLL on a 2009 Panasonic plasma
post #21 of 218 Old 08-09-2013, 07:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I personally have a PC connected to both a desktop monitor w/ mouse and keyboard, and a few 75ft cables running down to my HT setup.  I always play anything that supports it with an Xbox controller in the HT, but for RTS and such I stick to the mouse/kb at the desktop.  Still haven't quite figured out a decent setup for mouse/kb on a couch, although I'm not even sure I'd even use it if I could.

To be honest I'm a little surprised there's such a strong showing on the PC front. Glad to see it though!
I've thought about doing something similar, but the games I tend to spend the most time in are usually FPS titles (BF3, BL2 and Infnite most recently). I don't know if it's worth the trouble, but it would be nice for the odd racing/fighting game here or there.

I'm also a bit surprised by the showing for PC. O_o
post #22 of 218 Old 08-09-2013, 07:05 PM
AVS Special Member

I own an Xbox 360 controller but barely use it...Kb/M is superior in every way...some games require a bit of creative keyboard mapping but it's still worth it for the extra precision and convenience...the only time I use a controller is for racing games as the driving controls seem a bit more precise
post #23 of 218 Old 08-09-2013, 07:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked: 312
Quote:
Originally Posted by moob View Post

Yeah, I totally hear you; I don't play competitive multiplayer so I don't mind the console-pace of the Xbox 360 controller in single player mode... although when I first entered PC gaming w/ Half Life, I was a hardcore Mouse & Keyboard user all the way through F.E.A.R. *sigh* memories! 

The Build:
| The System:
| The Video Series:

Social:
|
|
|
|
post #24 of 218 Old 08-09-2013, 07:08 PM

Liked: 31
Quote:

The kids are all almost all PC now- everyone playing Minecraft and the PC versions of WoW, etc.

And, like you, I can throw to my HDTV and do for many things, from local file streaming to websites, etc. Browsing Netflix using the remote is the first "smart" function for a TV that actually makes sense to me from an ergonomic standpoint.
post #25 of 218 Old 08-09-2013, 07:16 PM

Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_gt View Post

any console. I currently have the ps3, 360 and wii. and i'm sure in time i'll get one of the new MS or sony consoles as well. although I really hate the idea of a game console being the center of anything.

360 was the first one I bought. I liked the exclusives more, and controllers are still the only ones that don't hurt my hands. it's still my 'go to' platform, and first choice for any multiplatform game.

bought the wii near it's height in popularity. I keep it around because I really think of it as this generations version of twister. as soon as a few friends are over and the adult beverages get opened up, it's the only video game 'normal' ppl can still play and enjoy. it's kind of like the game console for non-gamers in my house

ps3 was the most recent purchase and was bought almost specifically for twisted metal. the decision was make easier by the fact I still didn't have a BD player. it's only used for ps exclusives, and currently I've spent more money on controllers than I have games. still can't find that 'xbox style' controller that works for the ps3. my hands can only take about 10mins of using the ps3 controllers before i'm in pain.

You want the Fusion controller by Power A. Its absolutely fantastic and you can find em for under forty bucks on ebay!
http://www.powera.com/fus1on
post #26 of 218 Old 08-09-2013, 07:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:

Yeah, I totally hear you; I don't play competitive multiplayer so I don't mind the console-pace of the Xbox 360 controller in single player mode... although when I first entered PC gaming w/ Half Life, I was a hardcore Mouse & Keyboard user all the way through F.E.A.R. *sigh* memories! 

I loved the first F.E.A.R. That was on of the last games I ran competition for back in the day.

Equipment

Epson 8350 on a 100" Visual Apex screen, Pioneer VSX-53, Polk RTi A5(x2) CSi 5 RTi A1 (x2) RTi 4(x2), Outlaw Audio LFM-1 EX, PS3, XBox 360 with HD-DVD add-on.
post #27 of 218 Old 08-09-2013, 07:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Lol. I still remember playing Duke Nukem online. On dial-up. Having to coordinate with friends on the phone before tying up the phone line annoying everyone else in the house. biggrin.gif

We've come a long way...
jaymerkramer likes this.
post #28 of 218 Old 08-09-2013, 07:26 PM

Liked: 23
Just got my old nintendo back from the shop and she's running like a top. Mike Tyson's punchout and a case of beer...my night is planned!
post #29 of 218 Old 08-09-2013, 07:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 276
Quote:

desk, i have large monitors running a very high rez and a confy chair

post #30 of 218 Old 08-09-2013, 07:36 PM

Liked: 16
PC for me ( although my buddy has a PS3 connected to his 70 inch Sony, fun to play Tiger Woods golf on it ) I like racing sims, and there are no REAL simulations on consoles. I play rFactor 1 and 2, NetKar pro, GTR2..

Here are a few videos of rFactor 1 and my less than stellar driving eek.gif

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FHMLyit8IVs&feature=share&list=UUDNytAhx7b-iBPXfqsPdOOg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-O2czMkoKA&feature=share&list=UUDNytAhx7b-iBPXfqsPdOOg
Reply Community News & Polls

Tags
Xbox 360 Console , Playstation 3 160gb System , Playstation 3 320gb System , Wii , Nintendo Wii U Game Console 32 Gb Flash , Polls
Gear in this thread - 160gb by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page