New Member Introductions - Page 48 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-08-2015, 07:10 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hello, my name's Jesse. I've been lurking on the site for years, but have recently decided to get a bit more involved with my home theater, and since I see myself having a lot of questions in the future, figured I'd go ahead and introduce myself. Currently, I have an ultra low-budget set-up that consists of a Epson Powerlite 710, 106" 16:9 retractable screen, a Yamaha RX-V377BL receiver, a Playstation 3, and random speakers that I've somehow acquired through the years. All of this is in the basement of our new-to-us house, in a room that is 12' x 28' x 6.5'.

I didn't mean to get involved with creating my own home theater. I've always hosted a lot of movie marathons at my houses/apartments, and after doing a weekend-long horror movie marathon before Halloween in 2011, I got it in my head that if I was going to do a second horror marathon in 2012, it'd be better projected on a bigger screen than shown on the 32" TV in the living room. I didn't do much in the way of research at the time and ended up picking up the Powerlite 710 for $600 and screen for $200 at Best Buy, thinking I'd be good. Well, it works and has served the purpose of doing movie marathons with friends (on average, we tend to do about four weekend-long marathons per year and many smaller ones), but once I bought it and put it up, a thought immediately hit me: "This could be better." That notion hasn't left me, though I haven't been in a position to do much about it until recently.

This past spring, I finally upgraded the old Sony STR-D511 receiver I'd bought used for $50 back in high school to the Yamaha. Next, I'm looking to upgrade my speakers and subwoofer, hopefully by the horror movie marathon this fall. In 2016, I'd like to upgrade my projector to a true, entry-level 1080p projector as well as do some work on the room to make it more comfortable when watching films (the concrete floor is painted white and the walls behind the screen are a glossy, faux wood paneling). Long-term, I'd like to graduate college and start working in my field of study (I recently went back, and I've got 2.5 years left before I finish my major in accounting) so that I can afford to put more money into my HT. We have a detached garage that includes a separate, 16' x 24' workshop that I'd like to convert into a permanent space for my HT (the 6.5' high ceilings in the basement of our older home don't cut it for me), but I'm figuring that's roughly five years out. In the meantime, I'll do what I can to improve my current experience and try to learn as much as I can about everything HT-related.

Apart from that stuff, I'm just a guy who really, really likes movies, writes for one of the major Star Wars fan sites, and drinks way too much coffee.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-09-2015, 08:13 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello ! I am from France, I know avsforum for a while but never post ...
Old Today, 02:24 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hello! I am Harshal.
I have been reading up on many topics and by early next year I hope to upgrade my current dedicated HT room with 100" Screen with Usher Audio 5.1 setup (since 2010) to a UHD supporting Dolby Atmos ready 7.2.4 with 135" at least. Lets see how that goes.. long list of items to buy and even before that a lot to learn to make this one perfect.

Tags
Panasonic Tc P60st60 60 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P60s30 60 Inch 1080p Plasma Hdtv