What is the AVS Tag Team?
The Tag Team is an elite group of members selected to help organize AVS better by applying tags to discussion threads. Tagging helps link up different discussions on similar topics across the forums, and makes information easier to find. Tag Team members earn points and special privileges for contributing their efforts to make the world's best A/V site even better.
What Are the Benefits for Tag Team Members?
- Earn points and redeem for Amazon gift cards
- A Tag Team member badge indicating your commitment to organizing AVS
- A special edition AVS Forum t-shirt - a Tag Team exclusive
- A free AVS Club membership, which includes:
- Access to the Rumor Mill & AVS Club Only forums
- The ability to disable advertisements on the site
- The ability to hide the right sidebar on thread pages
- Unlimited listings in the AVS Classifieds area, and more!
- The pleasure of knowing that you are helping to organize AVS and make the site better
- Special contests and prizes for tag team members only
What Does the Tag Team Do?
As a member of the Tag Team, you will tag AVS Forum discussion threads with the most relevant products, product categories, and brands being discussed in each thread. This adds context and creates links between similar discussions, helping to surface the best conversations on any subject, across all the forums.
#cool #taggingiseasy #howdoistart
Wait! Tagging on AVS is different. Tags on AVS are not just freeform text phrases. AVS tags are the products, categories, and brands in the site database. Tagging on AVS is about identifying which of those products, brands, and categories are being discussed in each thread.
As a Tag Team member you’ll use our easy search-based tools to apply tags in threads as you read them. It’s not just about typing in #freeformphrases but it is extremely easy, and you can do it as part of your regular routine reading the site. Learn more about AVS tagging tools and good tagging practices.
How do I Earn Points?
Just use the easy AVS tagging tools as you read threads. Here are the points you'll earn for the different kinds of tags you can apply
|Tag an item (aka "product") in a thread||20 points|
|Tag a brand in a thread||5 points|
|Tag a category in a thread||3 points|
|Tag a miscellaneous topic in a thread||1 point|
What Can I do With Points?
- First 5,000 points: Special edition AVS t-shirt - a Tag Team exclusive never to be offered again!
- Every 10,000 points: Redeem for a $50 Amazon gift card.
- AVS will also offer additional special competitions and prizes for the top point-earners on the Team.
Why are Some Tags Worth More Points?
Not all tags are equal. A product tag like “AudioSource AMP 50 25-Watt Stereo Amp” adds more specific context to a thread than a broader brand or category tag, like “Panasonic” or “Speakers.”
Product tags (also called "item" tags) are also special because they add multiple layers of information. Every product in the world has a category and a brand. By adding a product tag to a thread, the system understands that you are implying a brand and category as well. Finally, product tags add special features to the page: when you tag a product, a module will appear in the thread sidebar with current review ratings and prices for that product.
For all these reasons and more, product tags are the most important, and therefore the most valuable. Tag Team members are asked to focus their efforts mostly on product tags.
AVS doesn't just want random tags applied willy-nilly. It’s important for them to be carefully chosen, on-point, and accurate. So note these rules and restrictions:
- Points can only be earned in designated forums (no points in off-topic areas, for example).
- Some threads need multiple tags: for example a discussion where several products are being compared. However, only the first 10 tags in a thread can earn points.
- A special mod team will be monitoring tagging quality. Inaccurate tags will be removed, and will not earn points.
How do I Sign Up?
- First, familiarize yourself with the AVS Tagging Tools and Tagging Best Practices.
- Then jump into threads and start tagging.
- Send a PM to me, Scott Wilkinson, and let us know you're interested in joining the Team.