What Are Your Favorite Projectors? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 58 Old 10-24-2013, 12:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked: 976

AVS Forum is planning a series of buying guides for the holiday shopping season, and we need your help. Each guide will include the top picks of AVS members based on reviews, threads, and—most importantly—your response to queries such as this one.

So, what are your favorite projectors? Since this is for an upcoming buying guide, we're only looking for currently available models. Simply post a comment with the make(s) and model number(s) and any elaboration you care to add; we might even use your comments in the final buying guide. Perhaps you love the one(s) you own or those you've seen at friends' places. Either way, feel free to include more than one, but please limit your response to the best you've seen among currently available models. You can also consider price and value in your choices—a particular product might not be the absolute best performer, but if it's very good and its price is relatively low, that makes it an outstanding value and worthy of inclusion.

Thanks for helping us help others find the best AV products available today!

Like AVS Forum on Facebook

Follow AVS Forum on Twitter

Follow AVS Forum on Google+

Scott Wilkinson
AVS Editor
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 58 Old 10-24-2013, 01:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Love my Sony VW1000.

4K, very bright, excellent image quality, sweet price point for higher end. IMO, next best thing would take you to the $60k range.
Freddicus likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Owner, AudioXtream.
Authorized Dealer for Kef, Triad, Bryston, Auralic, Audeze, Grado, Audioquest, Marantz
post #3 of 58 Old 10-24-2013, 01:27 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Send a message via Skype™ to Freddicus
You own a $25,000 projector? Whoa...nice. I also live in New Jersey. Just sayin'... =P

Edit: To keep it on topic - I don't own a projector. I do want one and a HT room one day...

post #4 of 58 Old 10-24-2013, 01:33 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 27
My BenQ W1070 is phenomenal. It's my first projector and I didn't want to spend more than $1000, so for that budget, it rocks my world. I haven't even tried 3D on it yet (and I hear that that is spectacular). I am maybe showing my lack of life, but on the weekends I spend most of my time in my home theater room playing games, watching movies, and watching TV shows. I'm super happy with the ~$900 I spent on it and would gladly buy another one if I had another room that could fit a projector.

Tim S.
Former 35mm and Digital Projectionist @ Regal Cinemas

Currently watching on: BenQ W1070, 82" 1.0 Gain Screen, PS3, with Yamaha RX-V473, SVS PB-1000, a Def Tech CS-8040HD, and 4 Def Tech ProMonitor 800s.
post #5 of 58 Old 10-24-2013, 01:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 24
I have an Epson 8350 and love it. It's still available as an excellent bang for the buck 2D -only projector. Its massive placement flexibility makes this one a winner alone. Factors that make it a good buy if you're not interested in 3D:

1) Cheap
2) Bright, even with some ambient light
3) Good bulb life, backed by Epson Warranty
4) Placement flexibility due to lens zoom and lens shift
5) Epson warranty is very good; Canadians can get a great deal in the US, bring it home and still have a valid warranty
6) Better contrast ratio than the lower end 3D projectors
7) Excellent for gaming - no discernible lag

This is a very good entry level projector for anyone buying their first one.

===========

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 58 Old 10-24-2013, 01:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 524 Post(s)
Liked: 814
my semi-budget pick was the jvc x35. nothing in it's price range came close for picture quality imo.

Displays: Samsung PN64F8500/JVC X35
AVR: Pioneer VSX-1018AH, 5.1 audio
Sources: HTPC(Mediabrowser), PS3, XBOX360, Wii, Sony DVP-CX995V
Control: Harmony One
post #7 of 58 Old 10-24-2013, 01:54 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 25
My favorite projectors... the ones out of my price range. tongue.gif
ctmooregottapee and swarm87 like this.
post #8 of 58 Old 10-24-2013, 01:56 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 73
It really depends on ones budget and what tech they so happen to like. I happen to only have managed to pull the trigger once on a non dlp and now have a dlp again as there is just something about dlps that I like (I presume this is what people refer to as that dlp look). I honestly think in many ways you should be buying by a companies quality control and build quality as much as you are for the picture quality as most of the projectors released now today have good picture quality and all have their negatives.

My general recommendations for the more budget projectors:
Benqw7000 (for people wanting amazing 3d, the blacks do let this unit down and the dynamic iris is best left off as its transitions are very obvious [though with brilliant color on it is near on invisible], the 1070 is another option that I can't recommend as I have not seen it but apparently performance is similar at an even lower price. Excluding dark scenes nothing can come close to this projector in terms of it's picture quality that is near it in price.)
Panasonic ae8000 (very solid performance but the real standout is the amazing feature set)
JVC x35 (amazing performance and excellent blacks but sadly lacking a CMS)

Personally I am very interested in dlp's that people would be recommending in the under $5000 price range as I really can't see myself buying anything not a dlp (thought I would be more then happy with the panny and the jvc has tempted me, I just fear buyers remorse with them as I know that I am odd in many ways).

Lastly I think any projector guide should make mention of the Darbee Dablet. It will not be for everyone but everyone with a front projector should go out of their way to try one out.

post #9 of 58 Old 10-24-2013, 03:02 PM

I absolutely love my Epson 6020 projector. I love how it displays in 2D and I love how it looks in 3-D. Most 3-D projectors are not bright enough once you put your 3-D glasses on. This thing is a light cannon. Great blacks, Great contrast and overall awesome picture. Especially with the THX setting. You can't go wrong with this projector especially with a three-year warranty. Of course my favorite projector would be the Sony 4K projector but to most of us that can't afford that, this is one hell of a projector.

post #10 of 58 Old 10-24-2013, 05:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Any of the new JVC with eShift3.

Stef
post #11 of 58 Old 10-24-2013, 05:11 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Benq w1070.... my first projector in my first dedicated theater room. LOVE it. Beautiful picture, super sharp, bright, and less than 900.00
fredxr2d2 likes this.
post #12 of 58 Old 10-24-2013, 08:38 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
My only projector so far the Sony HW50es it does rock
post #13 of 58 Old 10-24-2013, 09:09 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 19
My RS4810 is just fine until the 4K becomes available, affordable with lots of titles to choose from!smile.gif
post #14 of 58 Old 10-24-2013, 11:54 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 14
panny 8000 -

post #15 of 58 Old 10-25-2013, 06:38 AM

I like my Mitsubishi HC7800D 1080p DLP Home Theater 3D Projector quite a bit.
The picture extremely clear and even the 3-d is masterful. For the price, I think it is one of the best projectors around. The only down side is that the glasses are expensive.
post #16 of 58 Old 10-25-2013, 07:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Pleased beyond expectations with my beloved Runco Q-750D LED projector and even more so after connecting a Darbee Darblet to it.
Runs an average of 10~12 hours daily for the past two years without any noticeable loss of brightness, LED colors that are a sight to behold often providing an almost 3-D effect, excellent black level and low-level detail, exhaust fan feels very cool to the touch + pretty quiet and a feature that afaik only Runco LED projectors offer : Tri-stimulus sensors for each R/G/B LED that continuously calibrate for optimum 6.500 Kelvins white color "point" before light reachs the DMD chip.
It is humongous and very heavy but built like a tank...
post #17 of 58 Old 10-25-2013, 08:01 AM

I picked up a Mitsubish HC-4000 1080p DLP projector a little over 2 years ago, and I like it a lot. Although I am mildly tempted to switch to one of the BenQ W-series.

PSN ID: RikerMoustache
post #18 of 58 Old 10-25-2013, 09:55 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
My JVS-RS35 works very nicely on my 100" screen in a very dark room. Apart from the limits of the technology (still love CRT's absolute blacks) and display of motion artifacts for some source material, it's more than acceptable. Will take a significant projector at about the same price point for me to move. Have had DLP's in the past (fans are too loud) in addition to CRT (years ago a DWIN). Seems the LCOS type gives me the best balance of quality, features, and with a Lumagen XS and CalMAN license, the best mix to deliver what I need. There's always room for improvement, but it comes at a price. So, watching and waiting to seem something better that's financially approachable.

Steve Schaffer
post #19 of 58 Old 10-25-2013, 11:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 115
May I suggest having Projector/Screen Pairing guide for different kinds of rooms? Bright, indirect sunlight, dark, etc.?

I have no projector at all but I am considering next time around having a hidden motorized screen and projector for every day and movie use.

Trying to enjoy the simple things in life.

Steam: madbrayniak

post #20 of 58 Old 10-25-2013, 02:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimeran View Post

May I suggest having Projector/Screen Pairing guide for different kinds of rooms? Bright, indirect sunlight, dark, etc.?

I have no projector at all but I am considering next time around having a hidden motorized screen and projector for every day and movie use.

That would be very complex unless done very basically as every room and projector/screen combo is different.

post #21 of 58 Old 10-25-2013, 04:06 PM

Started 2 years ago with the Epson 8350: Loved it! No problems!

Got the urge to upgrade to 3d!

Epson 5020!
1> Great price
2> Super bright with lots of ambient lighting
3> 3d is awesome to behold
4> Dual inputs: Computer surfing and watching football
5> Highly recommend it!
post #22 of 58 Old 10-25-2013, 04:52 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Bought an Epson Pro Cinema 9700UB two years ago. It still looks great on my 120" screen, and the spare bulb it came with is still in the box.

But after reading all the positive reviews for The House of Wax and the 3D conversion of The Wizard of Oz, I have ordered the Epson Pro Cinema 6030UB. I can't wait until they start shipping.
post #23 of 58 Old 10-25-2013, 07:21 PM

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjschaff View Post

My JVS-RS35 works very nicely on my 100" screen in a very dark room. Apart from the limits of the technology (still love CRT's absolute blacks) and display of motion artifacts for some source material, it's more than acceptable. Will take a significant projector at about the same price point for me to move. Have had DLP's in the past (fans are too loud) in addition to CRT (years ago a DWIN). Seems the LCOS type gives me the best balance of quality, features, and with a Lumagen XS and CalMAN license, the best mix to deliver what I need. There's always room for improvement, but it comes at a price. So, watching and waiting to seem something better that's financially approachable.

Hey, I had a Dwin too! Great bang for the buck back at the dawn of time. smile.gif After that I also went the DLP route, but couldn't stand the rainbows (!) everywhere and the loud color-wheel whine, so for my current projector I went with a JVC RS15 (from AVS naturally smile.gif ).

I'm planning on going with an Epson 5030 or 6030 for my next projector, so I can do 3D, at least until 4K comes down in price (and has actual media available) in 2-3 years.
post #24 of 58 Old 10-25-2013, 07:38 PM

optoma hd33 im using a 106inch 1.8 gain glass bead gray screen which makes the colors really pop.The 3d looks amazing.

chacha
post #25 of 58 Old 10-26-2013, 02:56 PM

After seeing countless pj in different showrooms, home theaters, and reading all the reviews possible, in the realm of "possible and affordable" for the common man, DLP when done right is hard to beat. even now after a good 10 years of solid technology improvements, JVC for best black levels, but there is definitely an image quality superiority to DLP when calibrated well, imo. InFocus was the king of DLP until they bowed out.
post #26 of 58 Old 10-26-2013, 03:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 219
Scott;
IMO you need to break this down along your forum ;

-PJ below $3k; I guess 70% buy here
-PK above $3k; I guess 30% buy here

and I'll add a 3rd category:
-PJ above $10k; I guess 5% from the 30% above $3k buy here

It's so much budget driven, so 1 paintbrush for all PJ's leaves too big

Would be nice to see industry breakout vs my swag

Mike R,P.E. clickable DIY hot links:

post #27 of 58 Old 10-26-2013, 04:30 PM

Liked: 16
Under $1000
Optoma HD25e

- Long manufacture's claimed bulb life.
- Plenty bright in a light controlled room using "Eco" mode
- Quiet when not in "High Altitude" mode.
- Good picture quality using preset "Reference" mode.
post #28 of 58 Old 10-26-2013, 09:24 PM

Liked: 11
I've owned a Epson, Panasonic and JVC. To this day, I'm sold on JVC and don't intend on looking back. Just some solid projectors.
post #29 of 58 Old 10-27-2013, 08:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 20
in the >$3K range, the one I picked is the JVC-RS4810. Incredible value and great performance in my dedicated HT.

The new 2014 line of JVCs seem to have increased performance yet again, so those are what I recommend to friends.

and +1 on the recommendations for the the Darbee.

Jonathan

post #30 of 58 Old 10-27-2013, 09:34 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdrawlins View Post

After seeing countless pj in different showrooms, home theaters, and reading all the reviews possible, in the realm of "possible and affordable" for the common man, DLP when done right is hard to beat. even now after a good 10 years of solid technology improvements, JVC for best black levels, but there is definitely an image quality superiority to DLP when calibrated well, imo. InFocus was the king of DLP until they bowed out.

What is it that give DLP "image quality superiority" over JVC LCoS?

Louis
Reply Community News & Polls

Tags
Sony Vpl Vw1000es Projector , Epson Powerlite Home Cinema 8350 , Benq W7000 Home Projection System , Epson Powerlite Pro Cinema 6020ub 3d 1080p 3lcd Projector , Benq W1070 3d Ready Dlp Projector 1080p Hdtv
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page