Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 84 Old 11-01-2013, 03:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 213
what happened here?
This has gotten way off track, I've know you guys from other threads, good guys, seems this has taken a detour.

By AVS std's dedicated space and general space are "fair game", heck are outdoor "T" in the running? rolleyes.gif
I've done that also, full 6.1 surround included on 16' x 9' screen ,http://www.avsforum.com/t/1273036/aug-27-2010-the-big-dipper-watching-over-our-25-group-watching-up , but I'd not consider that a candidate for HT

For many-many candidates, what about this thread?
It's title is .....drum roll here......"Show me your COMPLETED Theater! "
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1061114/show-me-your-completed-theater

I nominate Art Sonneborn's HT
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1061114/show-me-your-completed-theater#post_15147196

I'm going to a HT meet next weekend, I'll nominate that HT after I visit it, review it, see it in person.

Mike R,P.E. clickable DIY hot links:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 84 Old 11-01-2013, 05:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked: 197
You are right Mike. I am not going to argue any more about it.

"Is not love not unlike the unlikely not it is unlikened to?"
- Leon Phelps
post #63 of 84 Old 11-01-2013, 06:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Liked: 622
Send a message via Skype™ to popalock
Unsubscribed.

post #64 of 84 Old 11-01-2013, 08:15 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 90
When threads get sidetracked with contention it can even seem humorous to sideline observers. I don't mean that participant's concerns aren't actual.
Another thread I was reading made me remember this particular Sketch: http://www.mindspring.com/~mfpatton/sketch.htm
post #65 of 84 Old 11-01-2013, 09:39 AM

Liked: 15
Now this is what I'm talking about! Unique and not the same-o same-o.

greighn's HT - The Bridge
photo_2009_002a.jpg

Love The Bridge, but my vote is going to my friend, The Force:

The Force's Gallery
900x900px-LL-af04b099_iso_view_2_better.jpeg
David Susilo likes this.

post #66 of 84 Old 11-02-2013, 02:54 PM

Liked: 13
A newb here...What-the-hell. A relatively modest home theatre (roughly $10 grand) I put in my basement almost three years ago. Still some finishing to do. Other major renos diverted my attention (have to keep the wife happy too!).

post #67 of 84 Old 11-04-2013, 10:26 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Scott, please consider my humble theater as a candidate for some point in the future. Sandman's theater got me pulled into the AVS site and then I was subscribed to Mario's thread and his room (which is jaw dropping) was my main inspiration. I am no pro and am new to the game and I know there are plenty way better than mine and I definitely got some work to do to officially document the room and features in my thread but I've been enjoying my room and inviting friends over for movies. The time I spent over the last year and couple months doing the work myself was all well worth it.
STARKILLER--1138 likes this.

post #68 of 84 Old 11-05-2013, 04:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 45
The style of my cinema is modern, this I modeled from the 1958 Odeon Cinema Auckland City where I was once a projectionist. The size of the room (6M long x 4M wide) lends itself to a minimal “modern design” without too much decoration, it’s timeless and helps create a space which looks much larger than what it really is. The colours I used are dark burgundy walls and midnight blue/black ceilings. Carpets are dark chocolate brown and the wall panels are avocado green. There are four wall panels on each side wall and these are made of MDF with warm white LED tucked in behind each panel. The main curtain is crushed Velvet almond colour, which is lit by RGB LED top and bottom. As the curtain opens it disappears at right angles into the side walls, complicated yes but it does work, plus it allows for a larger ScopE screen. The curtain lighting can be set to automatically change a multitude of colours, slowly dissolving from one to the other over a period of 1.5 mins. With this setup I can do all sorts of “old fashioned” real cinema like presentations, overture, and entr’actes, colour changes and re-create the drama before the main feature. The masking is set with three auto stops, 4:3, 16:9 and 2:37 ScopE and when that is activated the anamorphic lens, sledge and stretch all happen simultaneously. Everything is operated from the ipad at the comfort of my own seat in the back row. This seamless presentation makes the magic of cinema really come alive!

Murray Thompson

post #69 of 84 Old 11-05-2013, 04:39 PM
AnalysisParalysis Analyst

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 246 Post(s)
Liked: 290
Fantastic build Rapollo! What LED lights and DMX lighting controller are you using? I didn't see it in your equipment listing.

post #70 of 84 Old 11-13-2013, 08:48 PM

Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 114
When does the winner get announced?
post #71 of 84 Old 11-13-2013, 09:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orbitron View Post

When does the winner get announced?

I'd venture a single "winner" is not Scott's intention, rather a showcase of what can be accomplished.

Sorta a state of HT in 2013-2014, with intention to stop this thread after 12 months.

Then, 3 years later, make a new one and look back at this thread.

Via my 32GB iPhone4 using Tapatalk

Mike R,P.E. clickable DIY hot links:

post #72 of 84 Old 11-16-2013, 05:06 PM
AnalysisParalysis Analyst

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 246 Post(s)
Liked: 290
Scott - you have to check out this pirate-themed theater by Forum member Commander Dan! He built an incredible themed theater.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1398841/my-pirate-themed-home-theater-finished#post_23958029

post #73 of 84 Old 11-18-2013, 09:29 AM
wse
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked: 334
Quote:

Home theater for 1.

Very nice but lonely!

My humble Cinema
post #74 of 84 Old 11-18-2013, 10:34 AM

Not quite, the little guy sits on my lap, a real film buff.
post #75 of 84 Old 11-18-2013, 10:45 AM

Liked: 90
Quote:

Not quite, the little guy sits on my lap, a real film buff.
:^D

I imagine it's pretty cool to watch things w/o thinking about whether it is too loud (or not loud enough) for the rest of the audience members. Except for the Ewok.
post #76 of 84 Old 11-18-2013, 09:18 PM

Always interesting watching a movie with barking dogs on screen. We're proceeding along building the infinite baffle subwoofer - if anyone has an NHT X2 crossover they are willing to sell, kindly send me a pm.
post #77 of 84 Old 11-19-2013, 02:03 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by wse View Post

Very nice but lonely!

and then the film starts playing with no one to annoy you. biggrin.gifcool.gif

On a similar note, my cat always seems to stare at the screen when I watch a film and when there are scenes with birds she has had her interest increase more then a few times (the menu for Uncharted 2 had her dive at the screen as well).

post #78 of 84 Old 12-10-2013, 11:45 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked: 959
Quote:
Originally Posted by STARKILLER--1138 View Post

Thanks man. smile.gif

Pretty sure I'm not the only one who thinks an HT can be any room:
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/home%20theater

I would guess you're in the minority, and my opinion is the majority. Still, doesn't make your opinion less valid. I understand where you're coming from, but I just have a broader view of what HT means. For me, home theater has evolved from just movie watching. It's also a place where you can game, listen to music, etc. and not limited to one kind of display. Back in the day when I had my projector, that's what I did, and still do now. I know many who have projector setups who also use their home theater for gaming and other things. Maybe you don't though, and that's fine man. Like FR said though, there's more to HT than that.

Opinions aside, maybe Scott would like to chime in and tell us whether those with HT's that use TV's are eligible.

I have no problem with using a TV instead of a projector in a home theater. But I do want to feature dedicated rooms, not multipurpose family or living rooms. And the TV should be pretty big to achieve a cinematic experience...say, 70 inches or larger. Maybe I will start another regular feature for multipurpose rooms...

Scott Wilkinson
AVS Editor
post #79 of 84 Old 12-10-2013, 11:57 AM

Scott, maybe a thread too on what defines cinematic. As great as a big flat panel is, i find it's not cinematic, which is the look of a projected image onto a screen.
post #80 of 84 Old 12-10-2013, 01:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked: 197
Quote:

Scott, maybe a thread too on what defines cinematic. As great as a big flat panel is, i find it's not cinematic, the look of a projected image onto a screen.
+1 and its crazy the fight I got into about it.

I am looking forward to seeing who gets it. So far the theaters that have won look great!

"Is not love not unlike the unlikely not it is unlikened to?"
- Leon Phelps
post #81 of 84 Old 12-11-2013, 03:47 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by stereodave View Post

Plus one for the division of "classes" shall I say- similar to the early days of Car Audio competitions. 

Maybe along the lines of overall $$ spent (or amount of loan taken to afford it), Did you cut the check, or did you cut the wood ? - How tall is your stack of components? - Overall number of drivers vs: cost ?  Did you buy everything or build ?  Dedicated , or multi purpose room?, etc.

Just spit ballin', since many of us have modest entry to mid level "cost effective" HT's or multi function spaces / rec rooms.

My Home Theatre was one of want and desire. I don't have my "ultimate" (built into the side of a hill, HUGE screen, stepped seating, old school movie hall looking, etc. etc. etc.) but what I have suits me just fine. Aside from hard parts (receiver, amps, drivers, x-overs) I built it all with my own 2 hands. Speakers, screen, seating (just a big futon for now), lighting sconces, outlet plates, trims, etc.

I could have gone the long way too , it  just made more sense like this. It's all pre-wired to flip whichever way if I want to change it. Not seen is the 2' x 4' bump out to the right originally intended for a rear projection set- Snagged a real projector off Craigs List I couldnt pass up, so things changed. The bump out has become the equipment rack housing the HTPC with (currently) 8TB video storage, Marantz SR8000, Audio Control PCA,  21" monitor, and plenty of room for the "subwoofer of the month" The QSC CX502 subwoofer amp is mounted in the room behind (originally a Peavey 1.3K with a VERY loud fan) Not pictured is the 12" ported subwoofers in front R&L corners. I'm toying with the thought of dual 10"subs in every corner, or a bunch of 10's behind the seating for a little more "kick in the pants", or? I have a 15, or 18 to handle the bottom, bottom end - Center is a bunch of "buyout" components that sound fantastic.Front staging and surrounds are Dynavox 6-1/2's w/the D28 tweeter. (another clearance score many years ago) I Love them 3" coils ! - I'll call it good for now - Nicer seating is next on the list, as my time permits, chairs are designed, just need the time to build them. Yes, I build pretty much all my own all the time.    I'm just wired that way.

That center channel is all wrong. It should be a D'Appolito design with several more tweeters. wink.gif
post #82 of 84 Old 12-11-2013, 05:16 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackHawk1 View Post

That center channel is all wrong. It should be a D'Appolito design with several more tweeters. wink.gif

I can only assume you are trying to be funny ?   It's funny how some people condemn without having experienced. (or researched) Assuming this is a joke I'll laugh along with you hahahahahaha - too funny - 

post #83 of 84 Old 12-12-2013, 01:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbdudex View Post

what happened here?
This has gotten way off track, I've know you guys from other threads, good guys, seems this has taken a detour.

Yes. Let's all agree to un-hijack this thread.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbdudex 
For many-many candidates, what about this thread?
It's title is .....drum roll here......"Show me your COMPLETED Theater! "
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1061114/show-me-your-completed-theater

I nominate Art Sonneborn's HT
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1061114/show-me-your-completed-theater#post_15147196

I'd also like to +1 on Art's theater. One of the originals here. When I first read this forum, I spent a lot of time reading Art's, Moogie's, Sandman's, and BIGMouthInDC's threads. Those are some of the classics!

Also, I also agree and +1 on using the "Show me your completed theater" thread for reference. Already a good consolidated list of people's work.

More recently, the Man of Steel theater and Mario's (Mover and Shaker) were some excellent builds, and I was glad to see them already featured.

post #84 of 84 Old 02-27-2014, 09:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 63
+whatever on Art's room. smile.gif Stunning audio!
Reply Community News & Polls

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page