Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #1 of 86 Old 10-24-2013, 04:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 348 Post(s)
Liked: 1175

In an effort to find the best home theaters to feature in AVS Forum's Home Theater of the Month, I call upon you, our members, to submit your theater‚ÄĒor someone else's you know to be cool‚ÄĒfor consideration. I'm looking a combination of performance and style, not only in super-high-end, cost-no-object rooms, but also in builds of more modest means. The important thing is great performance in an appealing, dedicated space.

Your home theater needn't be a $6 million extravaganza like the one Jeremy Kipnis built to be worthy of Home Theater of the Month.

If you have‚ÄĒor know of‚ÄĒa home theater you think is worthy of consideration, I encourage you to send me a PM or post a comment here with a couple of photos of the finished room and a link to the build thread on AVS if there is one. If your theater is selected, I'll need some photos of the construction as well as the finished theater, an equipment list, the duration and total cost of the project, and any interesting details about the build, such as the design goals and considerations, unusual equipment or building techniques, DIY speakers and subwoofers, acoustic isolation and treatment, and so on.

I know there are lots of AVS members with great theaters, and I look forward to hearing about them and sharing them with the rest of the community!

Like AVS Forum on Facebook

Follow AVS Forum on Twitter

Follow AVS Forum on Google+

Scott Wilkinson
AVS Editor
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 86 Old 10-24-2013, 04:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 546 Post(s)
Liked: 848
Send a message via Skype™ to popalock
I think Jeff Parkinson's theater is extremely deserving as a candidate.
damelon likes this.
post #3 of 86 Old 10-24-2013, 07:06 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Mine is nice but not in the same league as others.

"Engineers aren't boring people, we just get excited over boring things".
--Anon.

post #4 of 86 Old 10-24-2013, 07:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Snowcarver's Theater for Hobbits 2.0
post #5 of 86 Old 10-24-2013, 07:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 102
I cleared out my subscriptions a while back so I can't find the links to many of the theaters I've admired over the years. Here are a few I was able to track down.

Saga of the Old Vic

Staggered Wall Home Theater

Rawlinsway Theater

Rock Creek Theater

The Grouse Theater

Jim Hollingsworth's Theater

Theater for Hobbits 2.0

Will post others as I stumble across them again.
post #6 of 86 Old 10-24-2013, 07:37 PM

Liked: 10
Tossing my hat in the proverbial ring - why not? Good just to get some feedback.......PICS of others' systems are always what inspired/nudged me to finally get around to our basement project a few years back. Very much a DIY with some help in all the right spots....

Construction

"Finished" product

Take care!
post #7 of 86 Old 10-24-2013, 07:40 PM

Hey Spaceman, good stuff. Like yours a lot - huge transformation - well done!
post #8 of 86 Old 10-24-2013, 07:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Another vote for Saga of the Old Vic as well as Spaceman's. Two of my favorites.

-

Is it solipsistic in here, or is it just me?
post #9 of 86 Old 10-24-2013, 11:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 172
One more vote for Saga of the Old Vic.

JBL Pro Cinema
post #10 of 86 Old 10-25-2013, 10:28 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 354 Post(s)
Liked: 501
I throw mine in there if you don't mind a true DIY theater, meaning it will not look nearly as pretty and it is small. Expect an Imax performance though with gobs of bass!

AVR-Yamaha A830
amps-5 Adcom 555 in 850 watt monoblock mode
sub amp-Sanway FP14K
LCR-Dual stacked BFM DR-250's
Surrounds- Dual stacked BFM W10's
subs-12 SI 18's ported 6hz.
post #11 of 86 Old 10-25-2013, 01:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked: 428
I just want people to comment (both good and bad) on my home theatre (link is in the signature below)

follow my A/V tweets @davidsusilo

ISF, THX, CEDIA, Control4 & HAA certified
Reviewer for TED, QAV, AUVI & DownUnder Audio Magazine

my (yet to be completed) BD list
my home theatre

post #12 of 86 Old 10-25-2013, 03:20 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 375
With humility tugging on my heels, I'm nonetheless going to submit my home theater for consideration.

The reason I think it's interesting is because I could not build a dedicated room for my projection based home theater. Rather, I took our existing main floor living room, used mostly for my 2 channel music listening, and did my best to integrate a whole bunch of reference-level performance parameters both for home theater and 2 channel listening, while being constrained to the aesthetic and practical challenges of using a non-dedicated, existing room.

I wanted:

1. A very large screen with 4 way automated masking, employing a variable size image system to play any aspect ratio at the size I desired, fully masked. (But not at the crazy prices asked by many companies for such systems).

2. A room that was simultaneously warm, bright and inviting by day, but could transform to reference-bat-cave-type non-reflectivity for movie watching.

3. A clean, contemporary look where equipment is mostly hidden and/or fades into the background. (See the rising projector lift as one of my solutions)

4. Great acoustics for home theater and for 2 channel listening.

5. Had to also integrate my love of tube-amp based/turntable based music listening, hence had to be quickly switchable between HT and 2 channel systems in the same room.

6. Had to visually integrate into the room and house, and be super comfy and inviting, as well as be easily accessible.

It was tough as hell, but in the end I got all I wanted.

Since a lot of folks have told me they've been inspired by my various solutions to the problems involved, I figured it's worth submitting.

What it looks like:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1259917/richs-variable-image-size-system

(It's evolved and tweaked since those image, especially in terms of bat-cave solutions for movie watching, see near end of build thread

Build thread:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1254505/rich-hs-variable-image-size-home-theater-build-thread-completed

Cheers,
post #13 of 86 Old 10-25-2013, 08:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 50
be nice if we could have an entry, mid and high end home theaters of the month to give us less fortunate, but proud owners a chance to submit our setups. smile.gif
post #14 of 86 Old 10-26-2013, 04:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 291
Scott;
My HT has evolved into probably one of the earlier adopters of 11.x, I'm at 11.3 here in SE Michigan as of April-2013.
Moving past 7.1(5.1) into 9.1(11.2) upgrade your HT room via AudysseyDSX / DolbyPL IIz / DTS Neo:X‚ĄĘ
HT%252011.3%2520cover%2520off%2520Pano-b.jpg

Held a HT meet 2 years ago, it was "just" 7.1 then.
_MG_6657.jpg

All DIY, click-able links:
acoustic treatments, 130" scope screen, anamorphic lens slide, IB subwoofer, 2 "helper" subs

So I'd be under the "builds of more modest means", as what I have to show is direct result of AVS, evolution of learning and doing, reading books on acoustics, asking questions, and sweat equity.

My latest HT planning document, more "low tech" old fashioned pencil and graph paper....since I was a draftsman 78-83 working my way thru Engineering school this works for me.
HT%2520Plan%25202x4%2520Seats-Riser-acoustics%2520Jan-2013_angles.JPG
post #15 of 86 Old 10-26-2013, 07:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 307 Post(s)
Liked: 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceman View Post

Saga of the Old Vic

+10000000

I had the privilege of meeting Moggie and experiencing his wonderful theater in-person. The level of detail in both planning and execution are second to none. Every aspect of the build is extremely impressive, and I am still blown away with the flawless engineering of a 4-way DIY masking screen. His final result is so good it absolutely smokes professional solutions.
post #16 of 86 Old 10-27-2013, 06:21 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 36
I nominate BizMarkie over in the Goldenear thread. His theater shows so much attention to detail, the ambience is amazing and the amount of thought he has put into his theater is amazing. Looks like it could be in a magazine. Page 59.
post #17 of 86 Old 10-28-2013, 11:08 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked: 141
Home theater for 1.

post #18 of 86 Old 10-28-2013, 05:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 67
My buddy in Deleware whose Batcave Home Theater was just featured on last weeks AMC channel show "Comic Book Men". His walls look like a cave and has a full size Batsuit from "The Dark Knight" in the back corner. Here's a picture of the front (notice the stage is in the shape of the Batman logo and his IR repeater above the screen is Batman themed). He even has a secret entrance to enter the home theater

image.jpg 220k .jpg file

Here's the link to a clip of "Comic Book Men" showing the home theater and secret entrance.

http://www.amctv.com/comic-book-men/videos/talked-about-scene-episode-302-comic-book-men-to-the-batcave

And a YouTube video of the entire Home Theater.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pTM-L8PmMjY&sns=em
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (219.8 KB, 73 views)
post #19 of 86 Old 10-28-2013, 07:26 PM

Liked: 12
all those home theaters are awesome, but I gotta go with the Saga of the "Old Vic", that thing musta cost a fortune

post #20 of 86 Old 10-28-2013, 07:39 PM

Hi this is my build thread. It is on an ATC speakers fan website. I realize probably nobody here will have ever heard of a company called ATC unless you are a musician or work in the pro audio industry but that is OK - I hope you can still enjoy the build thread smile.gif. I finished about a week ago - still have finishing touches to do - so I guess this qualifies for the "HT of the Month". Took me about three months. Coming from a pro audio "purist" approach, I honestly did not think I would like Audyssey XT32 room calibration but I have heard what it can do and I am a believer!

http://atcforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=6271

SeymourAV 132" screen 16:9. 7.1 setup with all ATC speakers. Integra DHC 80.3 DSP. 2 x Bryston 4B-ST driving passive surrounds with other ATC speakers & subwoofer being active. Panasonic PT-AE8000 Projector. I have absolutely NO affiliation with any audio company and do not work in the Hi-fi or HT industry. Long time lurker here and I am amazed by the many awesome setups that I see on AVS forums, as well as the great technical resources/discussions i find available here.
post #21 of 86 Old 10-28-2013, 08:07 PM

This is your basic TV in the living room setup.

The living room in my new house has a very open design. No walls to the back and right, and only windows to the left and front. In the center front is the fireplace. Placing a TV in this room was a challenge. My wife did not want a tall cabinet next to the fireplace, obscuring a window. I did not want a large glass eye built into the stone above the fireplace. And, even with moveable art, I did not want to crane my neck upward to watch TV. It just does not seem comfortable.

So, I decided to hide the TV inside the hearth. The TV, when raised, is located directly in front of the fireplace, which is the ideal viewing location in most homes. I replaced the god of fire with the god of entertainment.

I was fortunate to be building a new house, where this type of project is feasible. I have a five-foot crawlspace beneath the family room. The hearth is raised a foot above the floor, and the joists are running left to right. Lastly, it is a gas fireplace, where I can turn off the heat whenever I want. And, anyway, how many nights a year do you use the fireplace and how many nights a year do you watch TV?

My one absolute requirement was that the results look professional. It must have Wife Acceptance Factor. Also, I did not want guests leaving thinking that I should have hired a professional installer.

And I could not hire a professional installer. I went to the premier AV store in my area and the design engineer turned the project down. I have to agree with him that there were too many unknowns in the project, which made it difficult to give an estimate. The parameters of professional results and profitability could not be met.

So, I struck out on my own. I spent a lot of time reading, talking, surfing, and planning before the first dime was spent. I filled a graph-lined notebook with drawing and notes. I lost sleep. One thing that helped was that the Motivated Design Lift team is accessible and helpful. I felt that if I ran into a problem they would help me figure it out.

I designed an outer box to hold the lift that I mounted in the hearth box during house construction. It hangs down in my crawlspace between the rafters. I built the inner box out of plywood and then gave it to the cabinet company to duplicate in maple. Once everything was in place the granite company measured the hearth for the cutout for the lift.

Notice the grill in the cabinet on the left that hides the sub. I am very happy with the results. The only sign of an AV system to visitors is a thin rectangular cutout line in the granite hearth. When in use the sound is terrific and I am sitting close enough to the 55" Panasonic plasma to have great view. Also, Integra AV receiver and Control 4 remote. This is not nearly as fancy as many of the posts here, but my main goal was to enjoy the technology in my living room.

spend2much
post #22 of 86 Old 10-28-2013, 09:49 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Spend2much,

Nice idea. Looks nice. However, in my opinion the TV could go on top of the center speaker area. It just seems about a foot low for viewing to me.

Good job!
post #23 of 86 Old 10-28-2013, 10:16 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Susilo View Post

I just want people to comment (both good and bad) on my home theatre (link is in the signature below)

Extremely nice, the only thing that I do not like is the bright red walls, but that really is a petty attempt at a negative.
post #24 of 86 Old 10-29-2013, 01:16 AM

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckademic View Post

be nice if we could have an entry, mid and high end home theaters of the month to give us less fortunate, but proud owners a chance to submit our setups. smile.gif

I hear you. As nice as these theaters are being posted here, I like something more unique than just rows of seating with a big screen. Something more personalized whether its a entry level or megabucks. I'd vote for something like this...

IMG_0047.jpg

...over what has been posted so far with mtbdudex's HT room being the exception.
post #25 of 86 Old 10-29-2013, 11:12 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Plus one for the division of "classes" shall I say- similar to the early days of Car Audio competitions. 

Maybe along the lines of overall $$ spent (or amount of loan taken to afford it), Did you cut the check, or did you cut the wood ? - How tall is your stack of components? - Overall number of drivers vs: cost ?  Did you buy everything or build ?  Dedicated , or multi purpose room?, etc.

Just spit ballin', since many of us have modest entry to mid level "cost effective" HT's or multi function spaces / rec rooms.

My Home Theatre was one of want and desire. I don't have my "ultimate" (built into the side of a hill, HUGE screen, stepped seating, old school movie hall looking, etc. etc. etc.) but what I have suits me just fine. Aside from hard parts (receiver, amps, drivers, x-overs) I built it all with my own 2 hands. Speakers, screen, seating (just a big futon for now), lighting sconces, outlet plates, trims, etc.

I could have gone the long way too , it  just made more sense like this. It's all pre-wired to flip whichever way if I want to change it. Not seen is the 2' x 4' bump out to the right originally intended for a rear projection set- Snagged a real projector off Craigs List I couldnt pass up, so things changed. The bump out has become the equipment rack housing the HTPC with (currently) 8TB video storage, Marantz SR8000, Audio Control PCA,  21" monitor, and plenty of room for the "subwoofer of the month" The QSC CX502 subwoofer amp is mounted in the room behind (originally a Peavey 1.3K with a VERY loud fan) Not pictured is the 12" ported subwoofers in front R&L corners. I'm toying with the thought of dual 10"subs in every corner, or a bunch of 10's behind the seating for a little more "kick in the pants", or? I have a 15, or 18 to handle the bottom, bottom end - Center is a bunch of "buyout" components that sound fantastic.Front staging and surrounds are Dynavox 6-1/2's w/the D28 tweeter. (another clearance score many years ago) I Love them 3" coils ! - I'll call it good for now - Nicer seating is next on the list, as my time permits, chairs are designed, just need the time to build them. Yes, I build pretty much all my own all the time.    I'm just wired that way.

post #26 of 86 Old 10-29-2013, 12:00 PM

Liked: 90
Hey Stereodave looks great. I hope you post progress pics somewhere. And that center channel speaker looks incredible. I would sure like to hear what that cool looking speaker sounds like. And I imagine the sweet-spot is Everywhere with that beautiful speaker. Do you have any further info you can let us know about it? Specs? Details? Drawings? Really nice work. cool.gif

I have built a few speakers because I like to explore sonic ideas but nothing like you have done. Great work - keeps us posted.
post #27 of 86 Old 10-29-2013, 03:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by STARKILLER--1138 View Post

I hear you. As nice as these theaters are being posted here, I like something more unique than just rows of seating with a big screen. Something more personalized whether its a entry level or megabucks. I'd vote for something like this...

IMG_0047.jpg...over what has been posted so far with mtbdudex's HT room being the exception.

Agreed, I wouldn't also mind seeing a category every now and again for diy home theaters as I have already grown bored off the obvious professionally made rows of seats and front projector. Sure they look marvelous but there is more to home theater then just that. That Tron one really tickles my fancy as well.
post #28 of 86 Old 10-29-2013, 05:31 PM

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmReverie View Post

Agreed, I wouldn't also mind seeing a category every now and again for diy home theaters as I have already grown bored off the obvious professionally made rows of seats and front projector. Sure they look marvelous but there is more to home theater then just that. That Tron one really tickles my fancy as well.

I couldn't agree more! And, yeah, that Tron setup is what inspired me when I decided I wanted to go smaller with my own setup. Love that pic!
post #29 of 86 Old 10-29-2013, 07:05 PM

Yes, that was the original plan. But then I found out that the coffee table would be between the tweeters and my ears. So, the speakers went on top. It turns out that the sound is much better throughout the house now, since the speakers are above the couch back.

spend2much
post #30 of 86 Old 10-29-2013, 07:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by STARKILLER--1138 View Post

I couldn't agree more! And, yeah, that Tron setup is what inspired me when I decided I wanted to go smaller with my own setup. Love that pic!

I would vote for your setup. It isn't what I like per se (which is kind of the point) but it is another excellent example of a unique home theater setup done extremely well.
Reply Community News & Polls

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page