Review Your AV Receiver, Win an Amazon Shopping Spree! - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 118 Old 11-05-2013, 01:15 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
STARTED OFF WORKING OK. REMOTE NEVER WORKED PROPERLY. MANUAL IS BRIEF AND OF VERY LITTLE HELP. UNIT STARTED POPPING TURNING OFF RESETTING LOSING CHANNELS. VERY HARD TO USE OVERALL POOR QUALITY.
thrillcat likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 118 Old 11-05-2013, 02:44 PM

Liked: 12
Here's my review of my Yamaha Aventage RX-A2000

http://www.avsforum.com/products/yamaha-rx-a2000-7-1-channel-audio-video-receiver/reviews/4555

Current HT components:
Yamaha Aventage RX-A2000
BenQ W1070
Elite Screens VMAX2 106" electric 16:9 1.1 gain
PSB Imagine B fronts, PSB Imagine C center, Boston Acoustic surrounds
Logitech Harmony Ultimate
Custom HTPC
post #93 of 118 Old 11-06-2013, 10:11 AM

Liked: 10
http://www.amazon.com/Kenwood-VR-806-6-1-Channel-Theater-Receiver/product-reviews/B00021TDT6

Kenwood VR-806 In it's day a bargain.. but not w/o it's flaws review.
post #94 of 118 Old 11-07-2013, 09:12 AM

http://www.avsforum.com/products/insignia-ns-av511-home-theater-receiver/reviews

I love my little cheap insignia receiver!  Amazing bang for the buck!

post #95 of 118 Old 11-07-2013, 09:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
post #96 of 118 Old 11-07-2013, 06:50 PM

Welcome to the marvelous Yamaha RX-A 2020, goodbye to the disappointing Onkyo 706.

1) The tiltle says it all. After a very known Onkyo's HDMI bar problems I decided o jump to the 2020.

- It's cool when it's ON, I mean that the receiver is always cold, Onkyo was like a pan, and there's not enough complements to the design.
- It was purchased in Jan 2013, It's a 9.2 but I use as a 7.1 with the wireless adaptor. My plans was for the 1020, but EBay had the 2020 for the same price of the 1020 at Amazon at that time.
- YPAO - Nor good nor bad, it works
- It haves ARC but it's not in use. Strange feature once you have the opticals for the function.
- There's Zones 2 and 3, not used
- Spending time with the resources is the best way to find and enjoy them, but the main breathaking feature is the sound field. A lack of words to describe it.

2) The set up is more intuitive for the Onkyos but it's not that hard or too confuse either.

- At first I use the YPAO for the speakers but I've made some changes at the final for the fronts and rears

- Jamo Concert 607 for fronts and the same brand for the other and Sub. My living room is a 550 sq ft. I don't need more power.
- Oppo 103 with Monster M1000HD and the wireless adaptor.
- Oppo 93 with it's HDMI cable.
- DVD Sony ????? with it's HDMI cable
- Sky TV with it's HDMI cable
- Onkyo IPod dock with video comp and audio standart cable
- Apple TV with it's HDMI cable
- Wii with video comp and audio from Cables Unlimited
- 55' LED Samsung ????? purchased in 2009

3) About the remote, come on, a flip!!!???!!! Too much info but it is what it is

- Couldn't upgrade the firmware. After a few contacts and instructions, the support came with the "pearl" (It must be something because you're out of the US). Better than a stand up comedy.
- Sometimes AirPlay and Apple TV strugles but my internet is below poor grade.

4) The sound is unbelievable. Clear crystal for a blues and rock lover. In a few words, "as good as it gets".

- It's 4k, also with the Oppo 103 but the TV is not, and, there's a lack of content, only a few movies not recorded but mastered in 4K.

- Chris Botti in Boston, probably my best BD in terms of sound
- Crossroads 2010 BD from Clapton. Don't miss it
- Keb Mo, you'll don't find anything better recorded

I hope it helps
JB
post #97 of 118 Old 11-08-2013, 10:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
post #98 of 118 Old 11-08-2013, 08:28 PM

How To Teach An Old AV Receiver New Tricks : 12 Year Old Denon AVR-1802

My 12 years old Denon AVR 1802 has been rock solid with NO problems after all these years. Front Left & Right channels are connected to a 21 years old Adcom GFA 555II also rock solid. Using just the receivers amps for Center and Surround channels helps it run relatively cool for all these years. Now that I have both a Pioneer DVD A & Sony Blu Ray audio Y connected into the 5.1 Analog Audio inputs, the Receiver is HD Audio capable. I use cleverly connected the old Composite video inputs just to switch between the Digital Co-Ax audio outputs of the Blu Ray, DVD, & my HTPC. The Denon/Adcom combo blend well together. My deceased Dual CS 515 used to grace the Phono inputs for many years until the Turntable met its death at my hands! Works great!

The sound quality is superb especially since I use the Adcom amp for L/R duties. biggrin.gif
post #99 of 118 Old 11-08-2013, 09:53 PM

Here is my review of my Denon AVR-4520CI:

http://www.avsforum.com/products/denon-avr-4520ci-receiver/reviews/4567

Dedicated 5370 sqft Theater for Movies, Music and Gaming.
Sony VPL-VW60 @ 110"
Denon AVR-4308CI
Miller & Kreisel (M&K) S-150 7.1
post #100 of 118 Old 11-09-2013, 07:34 AM
Administrator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked: 293

@dnordone, @jorgytex, @Shalimar, @JBfromBrazil, @rajugsw... None of you have properly submitted reviews yet. Only a couple days left to get them in!

Mike Lang
Administrator
Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself.
Join the AVS Club and help support the site. Help Support AVS Forum Sponsors.
post #101 of 118 Old 11-09-2013, 07:51 AM

Here's mine...  :)

Onkyo HT-R591

post #102 of 118 Old 11-09-2013, 11:29 AM

And mine now in the proper place:

Kenwood VR-806
post #103 of 118 Old 11-09-2013, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lang View Post

@dnordone
, @jorgytex
, @Shalimar
, @JBfromBrazil
, @rajugsw
... None of you have properly submitted reviews yet. Only a couple days left to get them in!

Thanks for the heads up smile.gif
post #104 of 118 Old 11-09-2013, 01:12 PM

post #105 of 118 Old 11-10-2013, 01:55 PM

My Elite SC-68 review: HERE

Greg
post #106 of 118 Old 11-10-2013, 07:51 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 22
post #107 of 118 Old 11-11-2013, 07:20 AM

post #108 of 118 Old 11-11-2013, 07:32 AM

post #109 of 118 Old 11-11-2013, 02:16 PM

This is a review by a hobbyist on the Yamaha RX-V675 A/V receiver that was purchased in July 2013.
Been wrestling with this complex yet outstanding system for 4 months and looking forward to more.

WHY an A/V receiver was needed
Began researching A/V systems after my 15 year old Yamaha A/V receiver mysteriously tanked.
Initial requirements and issues were:
- Corral, organize and meld an unmanageable collection of growing MP3 and dwindling WAV CDs
- Have a high quality receiver to not only match up but enhance my beloved legacy 5.1 speaker collection
- Consolidate the herd of manufacturers and third party remote controllers
- Play movies but primarily music hither and thither within/without the house from the kingfish chair
- Meet reasonable spousal ….

WHY the RX-V675 was selected
In order to address the above the new A/V receiver would need to have:
- A bundle of HDMI ports and a variety of legacy device inputs AND outputs
- Networking capabilities such as device sharing, internet apps, remote controller apps, PC integration and Airplay
- High quality amplified speaker drivers
- Music and movie sound programs
- Support for every video and audio format under the Consumer sun
- Zone 2
- Versatile speaker configurations (7.2, 5.1, etc)
- Near infinite system tweakabliity, of course
- Functional front panel that would almost be suitable for framing
- Useable supplied remote
- Decent GUI
- 3D and 4K support in place. Secondary but still a requirement
- To be on sale
The Yamaha RX-V675 appeared to and did have the functionality/features needed along with garnering great reviews.

Site Challenges
Surprisingly, the biggest challenges I had were site related caused by the:
- L-shaped open floor plan that includes the living room (Zone 1) that is twice the size of the adjoining family room (Zone 2).
- All things Zone 2 – see Cons section

Set Up
Set up was fairly straight forward since this was an A/V receiver replacement and not a new installation.
Set up for Zone 2 was a learning experience for me. But I deliberately stretched the system capabilities.
The YAPO automatic speaker setup yielded squirrely results but that can be blamed on my open floor plan.
It seems that automatic speaker tuning is an evolving science on all A/V systems today.

PROs
Sound - Not being an audiophile I can't begin to defend my cavalier opinion that this RX-V675 might just be the best sounding A/V
receiver out there for under $500 or perhaps twice that. But I have listened to similar brands, stayed in a Holiday Inn Express,
ran audio evaluation programs on the system and have had critical listeners help with the tuning of the RX-V675 and speakers.
- With proper speakers attached the clarity, crispness, fidelity etc of this system is just plain fantastic.
- My favorite mode is listening to one source of WAV or FLAC music while the 5.1 speakers in the zone 1 living room are
playing and set to “7 channel stereo” and the zone 2 family room stereo speakers are playing simultaneously.
- Default power on volume levels can be set for each zone

Sound Programs – Yamaha has provided a robust selection of sound programs for music and movies in Zone 1 only.
Find myself using the movie SPs more frequently than the music SPs.

Video – Not much of a movie buff but have noticed that movies appear very clear. There are a multitude of surround sound
programs and all appear to my ears to be a significant improvement over my recently retired legacy Yamaha A/V receiver.

DLNA – The networking capabilities provided by Yamaha’s stable version of DLNA promotes the usefulness of the RX-V675 to a
level usually reserved for the garage door opener and the cell phone. WIN7 resident media players (ITunes) allow the selection
of the RX-V675 speakers in unison with the internal or attached PC speakers – effectively providing synced whole house audio.
Using an attached DLNA Blu-ray device adds video application versatility (Netflix, etc) that the RX-V675 seamlessly handles.

AIRPLAY – is what makes this RX-V675 so versatile. Airplay enables:
- Playing internet apps like Pandora, Rhapsody, hundreds of internet radio stations, etc
- Access to your music library on your computer, external hard drives, smartphones, tablets, outer space, etc.
- Stable use of apps for device remote controllers from anywhere in the house, garage, porch, basement.
- The RX-V675 app on a smartphone to control the RX-V675. Far, far superior to the native RX-V675 remote.

Zone 2 (Family room)
Once understood, Zone 2 is a wonderful feature. So far but after much ado I have been able to:
- Have the family room TV play stereo speakers in the family room powered by the RX-V675 in the living room.
Saved me the headache and expense of having a family room amp.
- The Blu-ray in the family room connected thru the family room TV can play video in the family room and
music in zone2 and/or zone1 – simultaneously or independently. This is great for “watching” Pandora if that makes sense.
- Drive the Bose Wave radio/CD in a bedroom using the Zone 2 line out connection. This allows the Bose to play any
audio internet app while using the smartphone as a controller. Can even remotely turn the RX-V675 on/off.
Have to use the Bose volume control, though.
- Zone 2 line out provides audio even when the zone 2 speakers are being used. And audio zone 1 speakers as well.
- Zone 2 can be “stretched” by adding amplifiers and even cascading amplifiers. Local volume control is required.
- Clever use of zone2 actually eliminates the need for input sources (devices) in zone 2 and the zone 2 extensions.
I really don’t need a Blu-ray in the family room and no longer need an old A/V receiver and cd player in the garage.

RX-V675 system controls
- “On Screen” dashboard on a display device is well laid out and has lots of good status info
- There are many useful tweaks available

Remote Controller
- Supplied remote controller very good at learning commands from other remotes
- Buttons are laid out in a logical but not necessarily intuitive fashion

ECO
- Separate Zone 1 and Zone 2 power supplies
- RX-V675 runs surprisingly less-than-warm in a cabinet.

CONs
Primary CON is there is a long ramp up period required to understand this complex A/V receiver as evidenced by how much
this review would weigh if printed.
Note that If I didn’t employ Zone 2 then there would be very few CONs from me.

Misc Cons
- The supplied remote is practically senior proof. Letters/numbers are hard to read.
- The RX-V675 extra speaker terminals are cheap and difficult to attach speaker wires in a tight space.
The RX-V775 extra speaker terminals are much nicer.
- Party mode is not enabled in the RX-V675. Would be nice to see party mode light up on the front panel
and party mode support added to the remote controller app.

ZONE 2 Cons
- All device inputs to zone 2 are analog. Would be nice to have digital device inputs.
- Almost all zone 2 operations are only present on the supplied remote but not on the front panel.
- The input source combinations and zone 1 features that need to be running are too complex to commit to memory.
Had to create a chart to understand what needs to be running first, zone 1 from zone 2 inputs, etc. Some simplification would be welcomed.
- Originally used speakers from a different manufacturer in the zone 2 family room. When playing the same music source
in both zones the music sounded terrible and just out of whack. Replacing the family room stereo speakers with
speakers from the same manufacture used in the family room solved all those issues.
- Using sound programs in the main zone (other than 2 or 7 channel stereo mode) while also playing the same
source music in zone 2 will result in indescribable and undesirable results. However, using 2 channel stereo mode in
both the main zone and zone 2 rewards you with a fantastic sound. 7 channel stereo mode results in better sound!

Game Changing A/V Receiver
This RX-V675 is a great leap forward in A/V receivers from my hobbyist view. Here’s why:
- The remote controller apps allow the operation from anywhere in the house. The upstairs, downstairs, the garage, porches,
in the old man’s car, basements, etc. Need to have a strong Wi-Fi router, though.
- Not as many input source devices (CD, BDs, etc) are needed since the RX-V675 allows devices in different zones to be utilized in either zone.
- Zones. I am using this one receiver to operate devices in 3 different rooms. If an amp were added to the zone 2 line out ports
then this receiver will be pushing audio to 5 locations.
- The introduction of networking and DLNA have effectively obsoleted everything CD of mine. Awesome.
- Guest music is easy to play on this A/V. Never was before.
- The internet apps open a whole new vista.
- Controlling media servers, internet apps, etc from a smartphone really does work and puts so much at your fingertips.

Wish List Musings
- More Zones!
- Add a few sound programs to EASILY play the speakers in different zones in clever ways. Maybe select which speaker(s) have
stronger vocals, different speakers having dominant bass or treble. Different instruments more pronounced on selected speakers.
Make it sound like a band is playing in the house!
- Add party mode to the RX-V675
- Raise/lower volume in both zones simultaneously instead of just independently.
- Add support for DLNA downstream zone 2 amps so volume control can be pre-set or modified on the fly
- Add support so downloaded videos (Netflix) can be stored on your PC/NAS and then doled out to the Blu-ray. For buffering purposes.
Make this A/V receiver more of a video receiver. Would like to see connected input devices like a Blu-ray on my smartphone RX-V675 remote app.
- And lastly, would absolutely love to see how 2 of these networked RX-V675s could interact with each other. Can they share
connected input sources and zones? Can you mount a directly attached BD on RX-V675 One onto RX-V675 TWO?

Conclusions
The RX-V675 is a first class home audio A/V receiver and would recommend it to anyone with the patience and time.

End.

post #110 of 118 Old 11-12-2013, 09:55 AM
Administrator

Good luck to all who entered!

Mike Lang
Administrator
Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself.
post #111 of 118 Old 11-12-2013, 10:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 451
http://www.avsforum.com/products/denon-avr-x4000-7-2-channel-home-theater-receiver/reviews/4578

Panasonic 65VT30 | Denon x4000 | Emotiva XPA-5 | Emotiva XSP-1 | Emotiva DC-1 | PSB imagine B's |PSB image c5 | PSB B4's | DUAL PSA XS30 | OPPO 103 | minidsp
my HT gallery: http://www.blu-ray.com/community/gallery.php?u=240707

post #112 of 118 Old 11-12-2013, 03:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lang View Post

Good luck to all who entered!

does that mean the entry period is over? will be get disqualified if we add additional information to our reviews(ie, i just realized that i cant upconvert hdmi signals)

pcm=potato
bitstream=patato
post #113 of 118 Old 11-12-2013, 04:05 PM
Administrator

The entry period is over but you can make edits if needed.

Mike Lang
Administrator
post #114 of 118 Old 11-12-2013, 06:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 717

Thanks to all who posted reviews of your AV receivers! There were many fine entries, but only three could win. By random selection, the winners are (drum roll, please!)...

First prize: Craer

Second prize: bclarkeva

Third prize: sonic debauchery

Congratulations to all three, and thanks again to all who entered!

Scott Wilkinson
AVS Editor
post #115 of 118 Old 11-13-2013, 06:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 55
And the streak of never having won anything in my life continues. frown.gif
post #116 of 118 Old 11-13-2013, 06:54 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wilkinson View Post

Thanks to all who posted reviews of your AV receivers! There were many fine entries, but only three could win. By random selection, the winners are (drum roll, please!)...

First prize: Craer
Second prize: bclarkeva
Third prize: sonic debauchery

Congratulations to all three, and thanks again to all who entered!

Links to their reviews would be nice...

I love my iPhone, but it will never replace my turntable.

The Cinema 1858 Remodel Thread
post #117 of 118 Old 11-23-2013, 09:42 AM

I absolutely love my Denon AVR-4806. It is 6 years old – I bought it new after the model was discontinued. I had the HDMI upgrade done and the receiver just keeps going. I recently added an Oppo BDP-103 and I am using the dual HDMI setup.

I use the Denon in a bi-amp configuration with a pair of bridged Adcom GFA-555’s feeding Paradigm Studio 100’s. The Denon powers the remaining 5 speakers. I also love the fact that this receiver has a phone input. Great 2 channel and 7.1 channel performance.

I won’t win any prizes but this system makes me and my friends very happy!
post #118 of 118 Old 12-19-2013, 09:52 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillcat View Post

Links to their reviews would be nice...
Here you go:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craer View Post

My review of the Denon 1913: http://www.avsforum.com/products/denon-avr-1913-receiver/reviews/4477

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclarkeva View Post

Here's a link to the review of my Onkyo TX-NR818 that I just wrote. http://www.avsforum.com/products/onkyo-tx-nr818/reviews/4504

In short:

- best combination of power (125 WPC), HDMI, Audessy XT32 at a moderate price (got it for $699)
- sounds great
- used manual configuration to for all setup but Audessy
- only negatives are non-intuitive manual and lack of backlighting on remote

Overall I'm very very pleased with this unit

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonic debauchery View Post

LOTS OF SURPRISES, FEW TRADE OFFS ONKYO'S TX-NR818 http://www.avsforum.com/products/onkyo-tx-nr818/reviews/4542

I have owned the Onkyo TX-NR818 7.2 Channel Receiver for 6 months, which replaced a Denon 3808. Here is what i found......I am using the 818 with a Sony S790 bluray player, Belkin PF30 Power conditioner, Goldenear Triton 2's L/R, Goldenear SS50C Mirage OS1 x4 and Mirage Omnisat Prestige X2 with Monoprice in ceiling speakers and Power Sound Audio XS 30 dual 15 inch opposing subwoofer, in a 2316 cubic foot theater.

I usually like to own a new piece of gear for a few months before I give my opinion so I can get to know its strengths and its quirks. With the 818 here is what I found......

There is a lot of high end for a mid priced receiver. Namely Audyssey's XT32 which woke my subwoofer (s) up. The bass is very low and very tight. I didn't have to turn the gain up past Audyssey's setting. It set my Power Sound Audio XS30 at -1.5db. Funny thing is I could not here a bass null as much as I did on the Denon 3808's Audyssey multi eq xt. You get THX certification. Now I know a lot of people scoff at this. The 818 integrated THX modes very well. With the HQV Vida 1900 video chip and Marvells Qdeo upscaler the 818 is offering a lot for my hard earned dollars. 192khz/24 bit DAC to. The sound seems more robust than my Denon 3808 did like using only a few cylinders in a new V8. You know the extra power is there when you hit the gas.

The 818's high end audio....

I converted all of my 4700 songs to 192/24 .wav on my Hitachi 1 terabyte external hard drive which I have plugged into the 818's rear usb port.

I prefer the SB over FH. I felt FH took away from the Front speakers and liked the fuller sound of surround back. With different source material this might change. For video FH works well with Dolby Digital. I am running 9.3 listening. I picked up an Onkyo m-5010. It was a hundred dollars off and I sold some stuff on ebay. It was $65 out of pocket. I feel now that if I went with 11 channel it would be nice but I would end up shutting the FH off for most source material..

1) [
Tori Amos: Flavor and Winter from Gold Dust. This is a great album for listening to the imaging and nuances of your speakers. Tori is accompanied by an orchestra for the entire album. The 818 seamlessly integrated Tori's piano into my listening area. Each key stroke was easily heard and if I closed my eyes I could almost picture her playing in my theater.

2)
Sade: Soldier of Love: The 818 especially shines when Sade is played. Her voice with a deep bass track that the 818 produces shook the dining room dishes upstairs. My wife made me turn it down and it was only at 60.0. Thank you Audyssey.

3)
Black Label Society: Another Spoke In The Wheel and Just Killing Time.
What can I say Zakk is amazing. The 818's detail let me almost see Zakk's fingers going up and down the scales on the stock of his guitar during ASITW.
JKT allowed the 818 to send super low bass to the sub and pounded my chest. This made me grin widely.

4)
The Cult: Embers. Ian Astbury has the best voice in rock to me. I have seen The Cult Live many times. Embers is one of those songs that not many people will here but once they do they are hooked. The 818 made me get hooked all over again.

The Expendables 2 with the 11 channel DTS Neo X mix was why I love this 818. (I have 9.3, the 11th channel was mixed down to one of the other channels I guess) the separation and steering was great for the sound and the picture was superb.

The 818 high end video.....

The HQV Vida 1900 chip does a great job presenting the video. Nice colors and deep inky blacks. The Marvel Qdeo upgrades DVD's nicely as well.

My wife wanted to see Disney's Tangled very badly in 3d. The 818 handled this with professionalism. The 3d was jaw dropping. The lanterns seen in the latter part of the movie popped and were floating around the room. The 818 offers many video enhancement for the money. To tests Marvell's Qdeo I used a Cult concert from their Beyond Good and Evil tour. I like using this as it allowed me to compare black levels and upscaling to near 1080p. It wasn't quite as good as a blu, but that is to be expected. It was damn good though.

I used the Avengers 3d as well as a test disc and the colors the 818 produces is like art work on a wall. I ran the Sony S790 on through and compared. The HQV is the way I am going for now.

The 818 GUI:
I found it very easy to navigate and intuitive. When the 818 is first turned on it takes you through an initial set up wizard with ease. It then leads you to Audyssey's XT32 set up. I did all 8 positions and in a matter of 45 minutes or so I was up and running. Audyssey was spot on for all of my settings except the front speakers. The Goldenear Triton II's have to be ran at full band to get full bass. Audyssey set them at 40hz. Otherwise everything is icon based and easy to follow. Firmware updates are as easy as hitting the home button on the remote. Also the 818 allows itself to be set up for automatic update notification. Insta-prevue is a nice touch. Not something I use because I don't usually have multiple components running at the same time. I suppose if your a sports guy and have multiple cable boxes hooked up this would be ideal for you. Overall an excellent job.

I did not test cable as I watch it upstairs on my Pioneer Plasma. So could not comment.

The back panel: (click to enlarge)

Onkyo like other manufacturers has eliminated some legacy inputs and cleaned the back panel up. I like this a lot. There are 8 hdmi inputs (one on front) 2 hdmi outputs. One with ARC capability and a second sub to hook up another tv. Nice touch. Two game inputs for multi console owners is nice. The speaker binding posts are logical. Left on left and right on right with center above. The classic Onkyo stickers with the name of the speakers and corresponding color are included. I see Denon is now copying with the X4000.

The 818's construction:

Onkyo is the only manufacturer using copper screws on its bus bar. The anatomy of the 818 can be seen best at avland.uk. Which has some of the best reviews of electronics I have seen. Also with the 818 I no longer have the ground loop I did with the Denon 3808. Onkyo's are known for running hot. The 818 has 2 fans for cooling. Mine has yet to get warm. With the 818's 40 pounds of muscle it made me feel like I was getting a lot of quality for my money.

The 818's app:

Onkyo's app is nice but needs some improvement. It gives basic functionality. Where it shines is when running music through usb. The songs can be seen ahead like it would appear on your tv. With a projector I don't want to waste lamp time when I am listening to music. So I like this app. The onkyo troller app would not recognize my 818.

The Remote:

It needs to be backlit. I am sure it does not cost that much to light a remote.
One problem with the remote is the usb. I would have put 2 buttons on the remote. USB (R) and USB (F). The way the remote is constructed now you have to point it in the couch cushion or your leg when switching back from receiver to usb. Otherwise it selects the other usb input (Rear or front). This is annoying. Thankfully the tablet app allows you to choose.

818 Improvements:
Only minor here...Sub EQ HT. Many forum members have educated me on this and I am sure it does its function well. But the step-up to the 1010-5010 is several hundred dollars more. I didn't think my ears would here that big a difference. Wireless capability for those that need it. That's it. Maybe airplay if you like apple products. Gapless audio. Back lit remote.

The 818 offers the high end for prices around $699. I imagine Onkyo has seen its sales of the 818 spike in recent days. The new TX-NR 828 is a step backwards for Onkyo. The TX-NR929 is this years 818, with a higher price tag of course. I did a lot of research in the two years it took me to build my theater. Many of the forum members educated me and answered my questions. All in all i feel that this deserves a 4.5 out of 5. Electronics are trade-offs, I guess like many things in life. With the 818 there are few.

Reply Community News & Polls

Tags
Harman Kardon Avr 1700 5 1 Av Receiver

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page