Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 116 Old 11-06-2013, 06:23 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Bishop View Post

"Look at Roku and it's 1000s of channels!" (and they're are maybe 10 that you'd actually use).

One could say the same thing about cable and satellite TV biggrin.gif
thrillcat likes this.

Oppo BDP-105 Blu-Ray
Spectron Premiere MKII 7 Channel Class D Amp (500w x 7)
2 Anthony Gallo Reference SA Amps
5 Anthony Gallo Reference 3.5 Speakers
Sunfire Super JR Subwoofer
Sony Z2 Series laptop as dedicated HTPC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 116 Old 11-09-2013, 03:38 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 24
For local area playback, nothing beats the Boxee Box in my opinion. Yes, they were bought by Samsung and their product is "obselete" but to be honest it's still the most full-featured product out there, especially if you have a NAS with tons of content.

D-Link still sells it for 160$.

It supports all the popular audio formats, 3D, Bluray rips, Anamorphic stretch for projectors with anamorphic lenses, SMB/NFS/AFP file systems, it has a useful RF remote with keyboard, great picture quality, support for Netflix and a ton of other channels, and the list goes on and on.

We have 3 in our house and we love it. Too bad the project didn't take off as planned.
post #93 of 116 Old 11-09-2013, 07:12 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Mede8ter 1000 , love the jukebox and easy use and flawless 3d
post #94 of 116 Old 11-09-2013, 11:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 492 Post(s)
Liked: 992
In my living room for the two apps I use 99% of tthe time, Netflix and Amazon Prime, I use my PS3. Want to build an HTPC soon, though.

"I realize that somebody playing free music isn't as commercial as a hamburger stand. But is it because you can eat a hamburger and hold it in your hand and you can't do that with music? Is it too free to control?" - Don Van Vliet (aka Captain Beefheart) discussing commercial success in the music biz

post #95 of 116 Old 11-10-2013, 06:41 AM

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wilkinson View Post

AVS Forum is planning a series of buying guides for the holiday shopping season, and we need your help. Each guide will include the top picks of AVS members based on reviews, threads, and—most importantly—your response to queries such as this one.

So, what are your favorite dedicated streaming media players? Since this is for an upcoming buying guide, we're only looking for currently available models. Simply post a comment with the make(s) and model number(s) and any elaboration you care to add; we might even use your comments in the final buying guide. Perhaps you love the one(s) you own or those you've seen at friends' places. Either way, feel free to include more than one, but please limit your response to the best you've seen among currently available models. You can also consider price and value in your choices—a particular product might not be the absolute best performer, but if it's very good and its price is relatively low, that makes it an outstanding value and worthy of inclusion.

Thanks for helping us help others find the best AV products available today!

Like AVS Forum on Facebook
Follow AVS Forum on Twitter
Follow AVS Forum on Google+
Pretty loaded question as some of us have different preference's to how we stream. Should make categories for what you are streaming? Offline or online?
I stream everything from my NAS. For Netflix and others I use my smart TV.
But for what I consider the best streaming is my Intel Nuc with XBMC as the front end. Beautiful looking interface with loads of customizations to ones own preferences.

Tux's Elusive 1099 (L/C/R)---Ascend CBM-170 SE (surrounds 9.2)---SVS PB 12 Plus---SVS PC 12 Plus---2 DIY 18's sealed--AVR Denon 4520CI---TV Vizio 70---110" Motorized Screen---Epson 8350 Projector---Unraid 32TB Network Storage---Gateway SX 2370 HTPC with 120 SSD
post #96 of 116 Old 11-10-2013, 09:33 AM

Liked: 12
I have both the WDTV Live Hub and the Popcorn Hour A-400. Definitely prefer the operation and output if the a400. The Network Media Jukebox has the best movie selection, navigation, display and sorting capability I have seen and streaming lossless 7.1 is fantastic. There was a lip sync issue that has since been resolved and now am quite happy. Needs to be rebooted after periods of being left on unused, but that's a pretty easy fix for the equipment.

Wish I could say I was ahoy with the WDTV. I basically never use it. Garbage.
post #97 of 116 Old 11-10-2013, 10:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 74
We prefer our Rokus. We have others also (Apple TV and Google Chromecast) but find the Roku's have the most apps of any and the streaming quality is great.

Ray

"Listen with an open heart and mind."

post #98 of 116 Old 11-10-2013, 04:23 PM

Liked: 17
Apple TV 3rd Gen, Hard Wired --- love Airplay.
TheeGooch likes this.

Dave

Samsung PN64F8500, Marantz AV8801, MM8077, MM7025, OPPO BDP-103, Sony C333ES CD Changer, Thorens TD-190, DirecTV HD DVRs HR44-500 & HR24-100

post #99 of 116 Old 11-11-2013, 01:16 AM

Liked: 10

Hi guys!

I use xbmc, and i think it's the best!

1) i can install it on everything(Windows PC, Linux PC, Mac)

2) i stream the video in high quality to my TV

3) with XBMC i can watch any video(from my hdd or from internet), listen music, watch pictures(with xbmc I can use the TV as a picture frame)

4) The remote control app for xbmc is excellent

5) xbmc have a store with plugins. i can configure xbmc as i need with it

Ilya Markov

Software Developer

iRidium mobile Ltd.

post #100 of 116 Old 11-11-2013, 11:22 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregsdouglas View Post

I have both the WDTV Live Hub and the Popcorn Hour A-400. Definitely prefer the operation and output if the a400. The Network Media Jukebox has the best movie selection, navigation, display and sorting capability I have seen and streaming lossless 7.1 is fantastic. There was a lip sync issue that has since been resolved and now am quite happy. Needs to be rebooted after periods of being left on unused, but that's a pretty easy fix for the equipment.

Wish I could say I was ahoy with the WDTV. I basically never use it. Garbage.

I agree 100% about the WD Live. It does not stream high bitrate BD rips at all without serious stuttering, even over a 1Gb LAN. I returned it.

I have a Boxee Box and I LOVE the interface but it also has a lot of troubles (constantly buffers) streaming BD isos as well as HD audio droupouts. Using Boxee+ Hacks helps a little but not much at all.

I have an old Popbox and while the interface is surely lacking, I have NEVER had any issues streaming BD isos. I have a 200+ movie library. The Popbox can also passthrough Dolby Tru HD and DTS Master with no issues.

Of course this is all related to local streaming.
post #101 of 116 Old 11-11-2013, 09:18 PM

Boxxe Box is a clone of xbmc. There are no troubles with streaming

Ilya Markov

Software Developer

iRidium mobile Ltd.

post #102 of 116 Old 11-11-2013, 10:04 PM

I also own both a Roku (original) and Apple TV. I also have a Sony BDP-5100 and use the Apple TV for my streaming needs.

Why I chose the Apple TV
By far the best interface both aesthetically, feature wise, and ease of use
Reasonable prices and selection on the iTunes store

Why not my Sony BDP-5100
The BDP-5100's biggest asset is also its biggest weakness. It seems to have pretty much every streaming service known to man on it. Navigating the menus to find a particular service is a huge chore. Indeed, some of the 3D services have not been updated in what appears to be years.
Additionally, it is quite slow loading a streaming service

Why not the Roku
I just did not like the interface

The honest truth is that no one is anywhere close to the ideal streaming box. But, I don't know how you design an interface that allows for hundreds of channels, while still making it easy to use.
post #103 of 116 Old 11-11-2013, 10:53 PM

Apple TV 3's presentation format works the best for me - simple, elegant and hidef for the most part; don't have cable so espn and other channels added this year make it a great source for viewing sports new and highlights. And AirPlay allows my family to watch home videos (of weekend outings) on a projector.

Had the roku2 for a while but returned it; the ATV3's resolution and ease of use was hands down better; might get a roku 3 down the road but from what I've read, apart from a handful of channels the PQ and performance of the other channel apps are grainy and slow.
post #104 of 116 Old 11-12-2013, 09:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
I use the OPPO 103D and AppleTV 3. The OPPO used to be terrible with Netflix so I ran Apple TV through the OPPO for extra darbee video processing. OPPO now seems to have fixed that so I use the Apple TV more for just airplay now. Advice on Apple TV - get a better HDMI cable than the one supplied. A Medialink 1.4 HDMI cable for $12 on Amazon GREATLY improved picture quality - especially black levels.
post #105 of 116 Old 11-12-2013, 11:20 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markov Ilya View Post

Boxxe Box is a clone of xbmc. There are no troubles with streaming

Obviously you do not own a Boxee Box and/or stream Blu Ray movies with HD audio.. There is a huge thread on this forum related to the device which depicts issues with buffering and HD audio dropouts. Being an active owner of the device, I can verify with 100% certainty, the device has its issues.
post #106 of 116 Old 11-13-2013, 10:15 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
WD TVLive for DLNA.
PS3 for YouTube and podcasts.
ATV3 for Airplay.
post #107 of 116 Old 11-14-2013, 02:50 PM

I have had a Roku 2 for coming up on a year now.  I love the thing.  I gave up DirecTV after having been with them for 16 years.  The prices were going up up and away and it seemed not even worth it. 

I use Plex, as well, and I can usually find whatever show I wish to watch within an hour of it being broadcast, DL to comp and feed to Roku via Plex and happy me.

I do not have internet, I pay my neighbor 20 bucks (of the 45 they have to pay) to use theirs, and while the distance is about 75 to 100 feet away, it works well.  I will say once or twice a month Hulu can drag, but to be honest, I just hook the computer up to the giant telly (as I call the Mitsubishi 73inch DLP) if I really need to watch something on Hulu right away.

Netflix has occasional days as well.  For 20 bucks plus netflix/hulu/amazon monthly... it is less than 50 bucks, total a month, still cheaper than $120 for what all I would want on sat/cable tv and much more reliable.

Oh yeah, and Hi everyone :)

post #108 of 116 Old 11-14-2013, 06:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 72
for people wanting local steaming, try a Roku 3 and side load Media Browser 3 onto it. ^_^

Projector: BenQ w1070 v1.06 + Painted N9 Grey 120" Screen
AVR: Onkyo TX-NR636 ATMOS + Darbee
Bluray Player: Panasonic DMP-BDT 321
Speakers: Polk Audio + ButtKicker LFE
Arrangement: 5.2.2
post #109 of 116 Old 11-14-2013, 07:06 PM

Apple TV 3 - It's supports Netfix , Airplay ( for iTunes, screen mirroring of my laptop and iPhone) and PlexConnect using the DNS redirect to get that working. I'm not interest in other services, though I occasionally use Youtube.

I wish that I could merge it into my XBox, because gaming is the only thing that it's missing from the Apple TV.

post #110 of 116 Old 11-15-2013, 01:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betak View Post

HTPC's with Windows (and XMBC). Flexibility and performance for years.

Yeah, this.

Although the Sammy F8000 TV is quite good if you cant be bothered to turn on the HTPC. The Sammy will do DLNA fine from the NAS and also Netflix, Hulu Plus and Amazon as well as various others. The WDTV Live SMP hardly gets turned on any more.
post #111 of 116 Old 11-15-2013, 04:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 203
The original question is actually harder to answer that it might seem. The question is, am I looking for one box to cope with both local and cloud based streaming services? If I am, then that rules out quite alot of options.

Apple TV and Roku immediately go out the window. Although Roku does support Plex you can do some fine tuning in order for Roku to play local media through transcoding on the server, but its far from ideal. AppleTV 3 will play local content, but everything must be converted into the limited formats it supports, so again not ideal.

Then there are the local streamers like Dune, Popcorn Hour and Mede8ter. These are all great at local media, but have limited support for cloud services.

Then there is the htpc's with their front ends like xbmc. These are great for local files, and support a lot of cloud services too, but those plugins are built on a house of cards. At any one moment the plugin is broken because the website of the content may have changed. Not for the faint heated.

So what devices are good at both local and the popular cloud based services?

Well I think we are back to the blueray players and game consoles again .... Oppo 103 + Roku stick, Sony BDP-S5100/S790/PS3, Samsung F5900/F75000. I didn't include any of the Panasonic bluray players because of their poor local file streaming support. Also there's the older WDTV from last year that has a good mix of local file support and cloud services .. but no amazon. The new WDTV live is somewhat crippled in terms of local support for mpeg2 and DTS.

How about Google TV boxes. They have decent cloud based support and support local playback too. Yes, but they won't output DTS (other than the old Sony NSZ-GT1) so that in my book is a showstopper.

You really can't win .. you have to buy more than one box !!

I'm currently using a Oppo 103D + Roku streaming stick and I'm pretty much covered but still kind of pricey.
post #112 of 116 Old 11-16-2013, 06:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by apw2607 View Post

The original question is actually harder to answer that it might seem. The question is, am I looking for one box to cope with both local and cloud based streaming services? If I am, then that rules out quite alot of options.

Apple TV and Roku immediately go out the window. Although Roku does support Plex you can do some fine tuning in order for Roku to play local media through transcoding on the server, but its far from ideal. AppleTV 3 will play local content, but everything must be converted into the limited formats it supports, so again not ideal.

Then there are the local streamers like Dune, Popcorn Hour and Mede8ter. These are all great at local media, but have limited support for cloud services.

Then there is the htpc's with their front ends like xbmc. These are great for local files, and support a lot of cloud services too, but those plugins are built on a house of cards. At any one moment the plugin is broken because the website of the content may have changed. Not for the faint heated.

So what devices are good at both local and the popular cloud based services?

Well I think we are back to the blueray players and game consoles again .... Oppo 103 + Roku stick, Sony BDP-S5100/S790/PS3, Samsung F5900/F75000. I didn't include any of the Panasonic bluray players because of their poor local file streaming support. Also there's the older WDTV from last year that has a good mix of local file support and cloud services .. but no amazon. The new WDTV live is somewhat crippled in terms of local support for mpeg2 and DTS.

How about Google TV boxes. They have decent cloud based support and support local playback too. Yes, but they won't output DTS (other than the old Sony NSZ-GT1) so that in my book is a showstopper.

You really can't win .. you have to buy more than one box !!

I'm currently using a Oppo 103D + Roku streaming stick and I'm pretty much covered but still kind of pricey.

I know it's a cheat, technically (because it adds another "box"), but I can (and do) run Plex Server and Client on my iMac, and enable Airplay mirroring to my Apple TV on the big screen. In effect, I can get the Plex interface without having to buy more boxes.

COMING SOONFinding the Ark of the Covenant by Brian Roberts, in the iBook Store on iTunes, a new investigation into the Hebrew’s Most Sacred Relic!
post #113 of 116 Old 11-19-2013, 03:07 PM

The Raspberry PI with RaspBMC /Openelec is excellent. 

$35.

post #114 of 116 Old 11-21-2013, 10:28 PM

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Sonos for music, Apple TV for video (or music where I don't have Sonos.)

Big advantage of Sonos is that I don't have to pick up a remote or turn anything on. I'm always on my iPad - one tap on the Sonos App, a tap on the song or playlist I want to hear, and a second later music is playing. Honesty, since setting up the Sonos speakers, using Apple TV is a hassle! (Don't get me wrong - I have an Apple TV for each of the six TVs in my house. Sonos is simply faster/easier.)
post #115 of 116 Old 11-22-2013, 07:39 PM

Where can I buy 5.1 sacd music / all stereo/ sacd' cd's online?

I am new & not sure how to start a new topic~Cheers~

jazzmann53

post #116 of 116 Old 11-22-2013, 07:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 492 Post(s)
Liked: 992
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzmann53 View Post

Where can I buy 5.1 sacd music / all stereo/ sacd' cd's online?
I am new & not sure how to start a new topic~Cheers~
jazzmann53

Need to be not in a specific thread but rather the subforum that's relevant....try here and look for the new thread button http://www.avsforum.com/f/112/surround-music-formats

Personally if it isn't multichannel wouldn't bother with any special format beyond CD (redbook standards).

"I realize that somebody playing free music isn't as commercial as a hamburger stand. But is it because you can eat a hamburger and hold it in your hand and you can't do that with music? Is it too free to control?" - Don Van Vliet (aka Captain Beefheart) discussing commercial success in the music biz

Reply Community News & Polls

Tags
Roku Streaming Player , Google Chromecast Hdmi Streaming Media Player , Roku , Western Digital Wd Tv Live Streaming Media Player , Apple Tv Mc572ll A , Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page