1Likes

post #31 of 54 Old 11-13-2013, 12:18 PM

Location: 41.7080574, -83.5911255 N41° 42.4834', W083° 35.4675'
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Great job Paul

"Then one day you find ten years have got behind you no one told when to run you missed the starting gun."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 54 Old 11-13-2013, 01:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
You sir, ARE DA MAN!
post #33 of 54 Old 11-14-2013, 09:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Wow. Looking at your lens system makes me realize that I can build a track to slide the lens in front of the projector beam from above instead of only from side to side!!! I was stuck thinking I had to leave the lens in place because I was thinking two dimensionally.** Thanks for the inspiration.

**Mr. Spock would be proud (obscure reference to 'The Wrath of Khan') My wife hates my obscure references but I think a lot of folks here at AVS will get it.
post #34 of 54 Old 11-14-2013, 06:06 PM

Liked: 12
Very impressive, money well spent!

Congrats to your family on such an extended space in the home thats an awe factor.
post #35 of 54 Old 11-15-2013, 05:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: North of Mexico, South of Oregon, Not as far east as Vegas
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 182
Very nice overall. Love the little touches like that wooden projector cabinet. Much functional beauty in this theater. smile.gif

"Bring out yer dead!".."Wait I'm not dead yet!"..(Sound Austrian here) "WRONG !!" (You know what happens next..)
post #36 of 54 Old 11-17-2013, 08:39 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Awesome room! Dig the angles/curves on the columns.
post #37 of 54 Old 11-17-2013, 11:44 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0

Haven't been amazed for sometime until I saw this thread! Well done indeed!

What did you use for the fiber optic ceiling? Is it a ready-made product or you have to DIY?

post #38 of 54 Old 11-18-2013, 07:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisdemello View Post

What did you use for the fiber optic ceiling? Is it a ready-made product or you have to DIY?

Hi Chris,

The star ceiling is DIY using an illuminator from FOSI (http://www.fosi.com/). FOSI can also provide fully built systems if you like although they are quite expensive because of all the labor. My ceiling is approximately 20'x10' and took about 2.5 weeks to build.

The full constructions details are posted in my build thread starting with this post.

Cheers.

My "Old Vic" Theater Build | Screen Build | HT of the Month | Contest Win
My 8 year old daughter: "are contractors the people that mess up your house for money?"
post #39 of 54 Old 11-18-2013, 10:24 AM
wse
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 570 Post(s)
Liked: 371
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wilkinson View Post

AVS member Paul Morgan (Moggie) dreamed of building his own home theater for 10 years, inspired largely by AVS Forum. "It taught me just about everything I know today and was 90 percent of my inspiration," he says. There was only one problem—the best place for it was under his house in Santa Cruz, CA, where a meager crawlspace did not provide nearly enough room for a theater.

How was Paul going to fit a home theater in this crawlspace?

The answer was to excavate over 100 cubic yards of dirt from beneath the house. His family, friends, and realtor thought he was crazy.

Paul loves to combine his training as an electronics engineer, his work as a software engineer, and his hobby as a mechanical engineer and builder, making this the perfect project for him. "I wanted stadium seating with two rows of seats and bar area at the rear where I could eat dinner after work while the family watched a movie," he says. "Also, I wanted it completely soundproofed from the rest of the house given that it is below the kitchen."

Paul started with a detailed floor plan. Note the markings for various fractional distances along the walls, which is important for seating and speaker placement.

Sound isolation from the rest of the house was accomplished using room-within-a-room construction with independent ceiling joists, isolated subfloor, and walls of OSB (oriented-strand board) and two layers of drywall separated by Green Glue sound-damping compound.

The theater is called The Old Vic after Paul's faithful canine companion, Victoria.

And it's still not complete. "I have some miscellaneous work do to on the entrance—framing the equipment rack, for example—and one more big project to build a hidden entrance. The plan is to install a pneumatic sliding ticket booth with signage above. I want the presentation of a ticket to automatically open the ticket booth to reveal the entrance."

The (almost) finished theater is a real beauty.

And the price tag so far? About $55,000 for the theater and another $45,000 for the excavation and foundation reinforcement. Was it worth it? Absolutely—as Paul recalls, "When I reclined into the comfortable chairs for the first movie with my family and watched the motes of dust dance in the projection beam, that's when it sunk in, and I thought, 'Wow, I have my very own home theater!'"

For much more detail about how Paul Morgan's home theater came together, check out the build thread here. He also has a separate thread about building the screen here.

If you'd like your home theater considered for Home Theater of the Month, or you know of a really cool one, PM me with the details and a link to the build thread if available, or post a comment with this info in the Call for HT of the Month thread.

I want one! Oh my this is beautiful and I am sure it sound great as well! To have this done would have cost a lot more!

post #40 of 54 Old 11-18-2013, 11:27 AM

Liked: 90
This is such a beautiful and inspirational accomplishment. That ceiling looks great. Reminds me of a great Theater in Santa Barbara. (The Arlington)
Well done job. And thanks for your well documented WIP thread.
post #41 of 54 Old 11-19-2013, 06:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Congratulations Moggie. Easily one of my favorite home theaters. The sheer amount of work you put into that room is to be commended.
post #42 of 54 Old 11-19-2013, 06:56 PM

Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moggie View Post

Hi Chris,

The star ceiling is DIY using an illuminator from FOSI (http://www.fosi.com/). FOSI can also provide fully built systems if you like although they are quite expensive because of all the labor. My ceiling is approximately 20'x10' and took about 2.5 weeks to build.

The full constructions details are posted in my build thread starting with this post.

Cheers.

Thanks for the tip! I bet you know that you can start a business doing this. Your work and detailing is excellent!

post #43 of 54 Old 11-21-2013, 06:41 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Saaweet theater man! Im sure all the hard work payed off the first time you sat down to watch a movie. Nice to to see a SC local getting theater of the month!!

My dual sealed LMS 5400 Ultra build
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-di...0-build-4.html
post #44 of 54 Old 11-24-2013, 02:31 PM

Outstanding build, Moggie. Your attention to detail and design are evident in the finished space. Congratulations for crafting it to a level that most can't even dream about. Your skills are admirable. Enjoy!

post #45 of 54 Old 11-26-2013, 01:03 PM

Liked: 11
Now that's called dedication. Respect!
post #46 of 54 Old 11-26-2013, 05:30 PM

Liked: 19

Wow props on the best home theatre I have ever seen. This dude must be rich! Literally. If only I had the background knowledge and money to do this....

post #47 of 54 Old 11-26-2013, 09:15 PM

I love this theater like a fat kid loves cake. An absolute masterpiece.
post #48 of 54 Old 11-30-2013, 09:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 326 Post(s)
Liked: 766

men.. this thing deserves to have the title home theater of the century !

i'm speechless...

Klipsch fronts 2xRF-82-II 150W 33Hz-24KHz
center RC-64-II 200W 59Hz-24KHz
sides 2xRS-62-II 150W 50Hz-24KHz
rears 2xRB-81-II 150W 44Hz-24KHz
Yamaha RX-A3040, YST-SW800 Sub 1000W RMS 6 Ohm 18-170 hz / SVS PB13-Ultra 1000W 14-200hz
Audioquest 1.6mm wire / Samsung UE-ES8000S TV+evo 2014 / Sony Playstation 3/ AC PlayonHD2
post #49 of 54 Old 11-30-2013, 02:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 713
Congrats on a great room. I think thats what we are all pushing toward. Nice to see yet another home theater of the month running klipsch biggrin.gif

Klipsch Pro Cinema KPT-904 L/C/R, Pro Cinema KPT-1201-T2 for sides and Heresy II for backs.
SVS PB13-Ultra, PB12-Plus x2, and Velodyne SMS-1 Sub EQ
SC-55 elite and B&K 200.7 S2
JVC RS-45 Projector, and Seymour CS 125” 2.35 screen
Oppo BDP-103 9 ATS Acoustic panels
post #50 of 54 Old 12-09-2013, 03:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 521
WOW........ best Klipsch HT system I have ever seen. One of the best looking home HT rooms I have ever seen. Thumbs UP.

Klipsch Cornwall I,C7,RS3-II
Klipsch Heresy II, KSB 1.1
Klipsch Sub 12" X3 Hafler P3000,P1000, DH330 DH110
Yamaha RX-V1900, T-1000,A-1000 Class A, GE-20 GEQ CDC-697
ReVox A-77 Mk IV Dolby, Nakamichi BX-100 PL-518X DL103R
post #51 of 54 Old 12-10-2013, 04:46 AM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 33

Amazing theater! This and the Cinemar theater are giving me lots of ideas. Does the ambient lighting from the ceiling and columns impact the quality of the picture? I read somewhere where the blue ambient lighting from some of the palliser chairs impacted the picture quality. 

post #52 of 54 Old 12-10-2013, 09:54 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 642 Post(s)
Liked: 528
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moggie View Post

Thanks very much to Mr Wilkilson and AVS for featuring my humble home theater. It seems as though there were a few members who pointed him my way, thanks to you too. I'm very honored to be spotlighted. The blood and sweat of the build is beginning to fade in my memory but reading a concise well written summary like this brings back a flood of memories. I almost want to do it again. Almost!
The contractor who did the excavation asked me to be a little secretive about his process. There are more details in my build thread, but the foundation was never left sitting on mud (even the VERY hard clay soil in my case). It was a sequential process that reconstructed an even bigger footing than the original, on top of which was poured the extended foundation. It was hand finished to join the original footing with the pipe jacks left in place. We added an additive to the concrete called Xypex. This is not only waterproofs, it increases the strength. The inspecting engineer was very impressed with the approach and rated the finished foundation as "over built", which makes my wife happy ;-)

Cheers,

- Paul.

Excavated out a spot under the footing and poured a pad in place for the shoring. Then after pads are ready, excavated out a column of dirt and installed the shoring, doing one at a time. Once the shoring was in place, excavated out, between the shoring. Formed and poured footing with shoring in place. Rebar should (sure it was) stubbed out of footing to tie the wall to the footing. I would also imagine that the old footing was doweled, so that the wall was tied to the old footing. Installed rebar for shotcrete wall. Sprayed shotcrete wall and hand finished wall. You had a good residential contractor. This type of work is more in line with what a commercial contractor would come across.

Xypex, was a good choice. It expands when wet, sealing off the concrete. We have used it for swimming pool crack repair.

Have a question. Was any water stop installed between the new footing and the wall? There are a couple types. One is a rubber stop, that is cast into the footing and another type is an expansive clay. The expansive clay water stop is the easiest to install.

Great looking theater and interesting project. smile.gif

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon, DNP & more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Marantz & Yamaha .
post #53 of 54 Old 12-12-2013, 11:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post

Excavated out a spot under the footing and poured a pad in place for the shoring. Then after pads are ready, excavated out a column of dirt and installed the shoring, doing one at a time. Once the shoring was in place, excavated out, between the shoring. Formed and poured footing with shoring in place. Rebar should (sure it was) stubbed out of footing to tie the wall to the footing. I would also imagine that the old footing was doweled, so that the wall was tied to the old footing. Installed rebar for shotcrete wall. Sprayed shotcrete wall and hand finished wall. You had a good residential contractor. This type of work is more in line with what a commercial contractor would come across.

Xypex, was a good choice. It expands when wet, sealing off the concrete. We have used it for swimming pool crack repair.

Have a question. Was any water stop installed between the new footing and the wall? There are a couple types. One is a rubber stop, that is cast into the footing and another type is an expansive clay. The expansive clay water stop is the easiest to install.

Great looking theater and interesting project. smile.gif

You obviously know the process well!! To your question, yes, a water barrier was used and it was of the plastic/rubber variety -- it came of a big roll. I think the Xypex was a really good decision. It adds a little to the cost of the concrete but it really works. You can also use as a slurry to seal damaged/cracked concrete -- I did in a neighboring crawl space to prevent a small water ingress. It probably wasn't necessary but I wanted the entire crawl space to remain bone dry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romans828 View Post

Amazing theater! This and the Cinemar theater are giving me lots of ideas. Does the ambient lighting from the ceiling and columns impact the quality of the picture? I read somewhere where the blue ambient lighting from some of the palliser chairs impacted the picture quality. 

When watching a movie the only lights I have on are the floor lights (combination of incandescent step lights and blue LED rope lighting) and soffits (incandescent and blue LED rope). These are on at a very low level and have not noticed any impact on the picture quality. All the circuits are on separate channels controlled but the Lutron GE so it's easy to dial everything in. When tweaking I did notice that if the blue floor rope lighting was too bright you could detect it on the screen. I added some black insulation tape to the front face of the rope and dimmed a little more to prevent this. The only possible distraction is the fiber optic star ceiling. Generally this is left on for bright kids movies and off for everything else.

Regards,

- Paul.

My "Old Vic" Theater Build | Screen Build | HT of the Month | Contest Win
My 8 year old daughter: "are contractors the people that mess up your house for money?"
post #54 of 54 Old 07-15-2014, 10:42 AM

Awesome Theatre and Wonderfull JOB
Reply Community News & Polls

Tags
Oppo Bdp 83 Blu Ray Player , Jvc Dla Rs40u , Irule , Klipsch Kl 525 Thx Lcr Speaker , Home Theater Of The Month

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page