What Are Your Favorite Headphones? - Page 5 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #121 of 125 Old 12-07-2014, 03:25 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
also can you plz suggest me some good headphones that cost less than 300$ and I can use in studio with mixers and amps
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 125 Old Yesterday, 03:45 PM

Liked: 13
ATH-M50 for me......

I've tried NUMEROUS Professional Studio headphones over the years, and even some more "commercial" brands.....
My findings and comparisons are as follows:
My all-time fav in the $200 and under range are the Audio Technica ATH-M50.
These sound BETTER to me than the Sennheiser HD-280 (popular with musicians), far better than those stupid Sony MDR7506 or whatever those are, they KILL the classic AKG-240M, and are superior to a much older Fav, the Fostex T-20.
I've heard the Grado 60 - nice, but, a bit "colored" to my ears (looking for "neutral" sound, I am.) I also had a couple pairs of Beyer-Dynamics, but definitely favor the ATH-M50s over those.
One brand I am excited about for more "casual" listening is "MEElectronics". I have a set of their wooden earbuds (which they no longer make, sadly) and I LOVE the way they sound!
Another "casual" light stand-by is the Koss "Porta-Pro" (though those lack comfort) and the more comfortable Koss "Sporta-Pro".
I will also mention what I use for headphone monitoring on my computers, as I do professional music & Mastering. The Focusrite USB & S/PDIF "VRM" Box (Virtual Reference Monitoring.) You can hear the headphones straight, or, engage the "processing", where you select the room type, and specific reference monitors. A VERY cool and helpful device for audio professionals.

That's all, folks.....

Outlaw Audio Model 970 Pre/Proc (All cabling is exclusively "Simply Physics")
3 Yamaha M-series Power Amplifiers to power fronts and rears
Center Back Rears are AudioEngine A2 powered speakers
Oppo BDP-83 disc player (plays EVERYTHING!)
Aperion Audio Center (5C?) speaker, Aperion Audio 4B for Rear speakers
Front L & R are DIY from North Creek Music Systems, Subwoofer - Prodipe Pro10S
post #123 of 125 Old Yesterday, 03:47 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by alinasofia1234 View Post
also can you plz suggest me some good headphones that cost less than 300$ and I can use in studio with mixers and amps
Audio-Technica ATH-M50 - can't go wrong with those in the studio, my friend.

Outlaw Audio Model 970 Pre/Proc (All cabling is exclusively "Simply Physics")
3 Yamaha M-series Power Amplifiers to power fronts and rears
Center Back Rears are AudioEngine A2 powered speakers
Oppo BDP-83 disc player (plays EVERYTHING!)
Aperion Audio Center (5C?) speaker, Aperion Audio 4B for Rear speakers
Front L & R are DIY from North Creek Music Systems, Subwoofer - Prodipe Pro10S
post #124 of 125 Old Yesterday, 04:10 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The way I approach headphones is with a right-tool-for-the-right-job attitude. Right now, my stable of headphones include:

• Bose QuietComfort QC15 (my lawn mowing phones. Top-notch noise cancellation saves my ears from motor noise)
  • Philips Fidelio X1 (fun, comfortable, warm sounding. These are purely for enjoying music for extended periods. Big bass and lively treble.)
  • AKG K550 (closed back, crystal clear, incredible soundstage. I use these for listening in bed. They don't leak hardly any sound which my spouse appreciates.)
  • AKG K702 65th Anniversary Edition (analytical, laser precision, revealing, wide soundstage. This is my newest headphone and I'm still getting used to it's sound signature. It's very unforgiving with poorly mastered tracks or underpowered hardware.)
  • Yuin PK1 (my at-work earbuds. Holy cow, I never new earbuds could sound this good. They require an amp though. Matched with a JDSLabs cMoy BB 2.03 and I have a perfect incognito setup for work. These earbuds look like they cost $20 and the amp is in a discreet Altoids tin. I don't have to worry about someone stealing my audio gear from my desk because it looks so un-impressive. If they only knew...)

My favorite headphone depends on what I'm doing at the moment, but if I was forced to choose right now I would say the K550 is my favorite headphone in my collection.

I would love to pick up a pair of ATH-M50x phones, but I can't think of what "job" I need them for.

My ASUS E35M1-I Deluxe + Antec ISK 310-150 HTPC Project: HTPC Nirvana
post #125 of 125 Old Today, 10:01 PM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Sony MDR MA900

why?

http://www.stoneaudio.co.uk/resource...-mdr-ma900.jpg

1. Personally, it's the biggest headphone and yet the lightest headphone I've ever owned ... just 195 grams!

2. HUGE 70mm drivers that delivers convincing speaker-like sound (speaker-like sound in a headphone is rare)

3. what makes the above (#2) sound more speaker-like is its ridiculously large sound-field (for a headphone) that can also maintain a "center-image" of the sound (vocals for example... front and center).

4. "sound separation" is very, very good. Bass sounds "fast" and does not leak to midrange frequencies

5. It does not need a audiophile-grade desktop amps & dacs to sound as-advertized; but if you want to squeeze like the remaining 1 to 3 cents out of MA900 headphone then feel free to use it with desktop amps & dacs.

Currently this headphone is not available outside of Japan... but you can import them brand new for just ~$200 (street price, on e bay)
Reply Community News & Polls

Tags
Bose , Akg K702 65th Anniversary Edition , Sony , Koss Portapro Headphones With Case , Grado Prestige Series Sr80i Stereo Headphone , Sony Mdr V6 Monitor Series Headphones With Ccaw Voice Coil , Grado , Sennheiser Rs120 926 Mhz Wireless Rf Headphones With Charging Cradle , Audio Technica Ath Ad700 Open Air Dynamic Audiophile Headphones , Bose Quietcomfort 15 Acoustic Noise Cancelling Headphones , Sony Mdr7506 Professional Large Diaphragm Headphone , Sennheiser Hd 650 Headphones , Sennheiser Hd800 Over Ear Circum Aural Dynamic Premiere Headphone
Gear in this thread - K702 by PriceGrabber.com