What Are Your Favorite Headphones? - Page 5 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #121 of 131 Old 12-07-2014, 02:25 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
also can you plz suggest me some good headphones that cost less than 300$ and I can use in studio with mixers and amps
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 131 Old 12-08-2014, 02:45 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 15
ATH-M50 for me......

I've tried NUMEROUS Professional Studio headphones over the years, and even some more "commercial" brands.....
My findings and comparisons are as follows:
My all-time fav in the $200 and under range are the Audio Technica ATH-M50.
These sound BETTER to me than the Sennheiser HD-280 (popular with musicians), far better than those stupid Sony MDR7506 or whatever those are, they KILL the classic AKG-240M, and are superior to a much older Fav, the Fostex T-20.
I've heard the Grado 60 - nice, but, a bit "colored" to my ears (looking for "neutral" sound, I am.) I also had a couple pairs of Beyer-Dynamics, but definitely favor the ATH-M50s over those.
One brand I am excited about for more "casual" listening is "MEElectronics". I have a set of their wooden earbuds (which they no longer make, sadly) and I LOVE the way they sound!
Another "casual" light stand-by is the Koss "Porta-Pro" (though those lack comfort) and the more comfortable Koss "Sporta-Pro".
I will also mention what I use for headphone monitoring on my computers, as I do professional music & Mastering. The Focusrite USB & S/PDIF "VRM" Box (Virtual Reference Monitoring.) You can hear the headphones straight, or, engage the "processing", where you select the room type, and specific reference monitors. A VERY cool and helpful device for audio professionals.

That's all, folks.....

Outlaw Audio Model 970 Pre/Proc (All cabling is exclusively "Simply Physics")
3 Yamaha M-series Power Amplifiers to power fronts and rears
Center Back Rears are AudioEngine A2 powered speakers
Oppo BDP-83 disc player (plays EVERYTHING!)
Aperion Audio Center (5C?) speaker, Aperion Audio 4B for Rear speakers
Front L & R are DIY from North Creek Music Systems, Subwoofer - Prodipe Pro10S
post #123 of 131 Old 12-08-2014, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alinasofia1234 View Post
also can you plz suggest me some good headphones that cost less than 300$ and I can use in studio with mixers and amps
Audio-Technica ATH-M50 - can't go wrong with those in the studio, my friend.

Outlaw Audio Model 970 Pre/Proc (All cabling is exclusively "Simply Physics")
3 Yamaha M-series Power Amplifiers to power fronts and rears
Center Back Rears are AudioEngine A2 powered speakers
Oppo BDP-83 disc player (plays EVERYTHING!)
Aperion Audio Center (5C?) speaker, Aperion Audio 4B for Rear speakers
Front L & R are DIY from North Creek Music Systems, Subwoofer - Prodipe Pro10S
post #124 of 131 Old 12-08-2014, 03:10 PM

Liked: 11
The way I approach headphones is with a right-tool-for-the-right-job attitude. Right now, my stable of headphones include:

• Bose QuietComfort QC15 (my lawn mowing phones. Top-notch noise cancellation saves my ears from motor noise)
  • Philips Fidelio X1 (fun, comfortable, warm sounding. These are purely for enjoying music for extended periods. Big bass and lively treble.)
  • AKG K550 (closed back, crystal clear, incredible soundstage. I use these for listening in bed. They don't leak hardly any sound which my spouse appreciates.)
  • AKG K702 65th Anniversary Edition (analytical, laser precision, revealing, wide soundstage. This is my newest headphone and I'm still getting used to it's sound signature. It's very unforgiving with poorly mastered tracks or underpowered hardware.)
  • Yuin PK1 (my at-work earbuds. Holy cow, I never new earbuds could sound this good. They require an amp though. Matched with a JDSLabs cMoy BB 2.03 and I have a perfect incognito setup for work. These earbuds look like they cost $20 and the amp is in a discreet Altoids tin. I don't have to worry about someone stealing my audio gear from my desk because it looks so un-impressive. If they only knew...)

My favorite headphone depends on what I'm doing at the moment, but if I was forced to choose right now I would say the K550 is my favorite headphone in my collection.

I would love to pick up a pair of ATH-M50x phones, but I can't think of what "job" I need them for.

Last edited by rwpritchett; 01-06-2015 at 12:04 PM.
post #125 of 131 Old 12-09-2014, 09:01 PM

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Sony MDR MA900

why?

http://www.stoneaudio.co.uk/resource...-mdr-ma900.jpg

1. Personally, it's the biggest headphone and yet the lightest headphone I've ever owned ... just 195 grams!

2. HUGE 70mm drivers that delivers convincing speaker-like sound (speaker-like sound in a headphone is rare)

3. what makes the above (#2) sound more speaker-like is its ridiculously large sound-field (for a headphone) that can also maintain a "center-image" of the sound (vocals for example... front and center).

4. "sound separation" is very, very good. Bass is well-controlled, sounds "fast" and does not leak to midrange frequencies

5. It does not need a audiophile-grade desktop amps & dacs to sound as-advertized; but if you want to squeeze like the remaining 1 to 3 cents out of MA900 headphone then feel free to use it with desktop amps & dacs.

Currently this headphone is not available outside of Japan... but you can import them brand new for just ~$200 (street price, on e bay)

Last edited by 34HFX83; 12-09-2014 at 09:14 PM.
post #126 of 131 Old 01-02-2015, 06:10 PM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
In-ear:
Shure SE846 then as a good number two the Sennheiser IE800.

Isolation on the SE846 is superb. Fits very well (after a frustrating first day for getting used to them). Balanced and open sound with a lot of details in the whole frequency range. Better sound quality than IE800 (but not by much); one benefit of the IE800 on the other hand is the size and ease of use.

Over ear:
Audeze LCD-3 (with Fazor) then Audeze LCD-XC
LCD-3 is better, but LCD-XC is close... Isolation on the closed back LCD-XC is for obvious reasons better (that is why I have both).

HT: CLASSE CA-5300 DELTA - BRYSTON 4B SST2 - DENON 4520CI - B&W 803D2, 2*DB1, HTM2D2, 804D2, Nautilus SCM1, 805D2, SA Talent - VAN DEN HUL - GIK ACOUSTICS - AUDYSSEY Pro Kit
HP: 2*MOON Neo 430HA D, Neo 380D DSD - ISOTEK EVO3 Sigmas, Aquarius - NORDOST Heimdall 2 (all cables) - AUDEZE LCD-3(Fazor), 2*LCD-XC - SHURE SE846 - SENNHEISER IE 800 - BEYERDYNAMIC T5p, T70
post #127 of 131 Old 01-06-2015, 11:52 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Every audio professional needs at least three types of headphones. The cheapest fully satisfying list I have come up with, after months of on and off research, is this.

Mobile - Sennheiser PX100 (nothing to look at, but these things perform!)

Closed - CAL! (amazing value at about $70)

Open - Sennheiser HD 600/650 or Beyerdynamic DT 880/990 (they range $200-400)
post #128 of 131 Old 01-06-2015, 03:57 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 19
My most used (and default favorite) are a cheapo set of Sennheiser CX-300 ear buds. They certainly aren't audiophile headphones, but then you wouldn't run sprints in big cans either. The CX-300s can be had for about $20-30 depending on the time of the year and sound better than anything I've heard in the price range. I also like that they have an asymmetric cable to place behind your neck, which keeps you from violently ripping them out while exercising. Any ear bud recommendations in the $50ish price range?
post #129 of 131 Old 01-06-2015, 04:07 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by funkingitup View Post
Any ear bud recommendations in the $50ish price range?
I've enjoyed the Yuin PK1 earbuds so much, I've often wondered if the Yuin PK3 (or Yuin OK3) earbuds are worth looking into. They run in the $30-60 range and don't need an amp like the PK1's do.
funkingitup likes this.
post #130 of 131 Old 02-26-2015, 11:03 AM

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I own quite a few, I like the immediacy good headphones provide, even though staging always suffers some.

Some of my favorites -

Grado RS-1: wonderfully airy. i have had these for over 15 years and still adore them. very musical, which of course means they color some in the middle, but they are fun, fun, fun. i drive them with a simple Audioengine D1 off my computer, and spend many hours on them when i work from home, which means they're very comfy because they're light.

Grado PS500e: these are typically the ones i use when i listen to music later at night, though the Benchmark DAC2-HGC. the combo is sublime. it is more analytical than the RS-1, but while it'd be easy to lose yourself in irrelevant detail, the warm middle brings it all together and simply glues all the individual and identifiable flows into a whole.

Grado SR225e: clearly i like "the Grado sound". these i use in the office. they're amazingly musical and accurate, irrespective of their lower price point. but they leak sound and let it in, so i may have to go for closed headphones.

Shure SE series - i have a bunch of them - 200s, 300s and 500s. The 200s I use in the gym. the 300s at home when i sit outside reading on my tablet and i stream Pandora or so. the star of the group is the SE-535, which is amazing. it isolates sound better than any noise-canceling headphone i have tried, and sound sublime. my companion for business trip - with some good FLAC albums, a Dragonfly DAC, and the SE-535 i get reference level sound to chill anywhere on the planet... ah.

System: SB Touch -optical-> Benchmark DAC2HGC -AnalysisPlus Oval Copper XLR-> NAD M22 Power Amp -AnalysisPlus Black Mesh Oval-> Totem Element Fire
Other Rooms: 2x SB Boom; 1x SB Radio; 1x SB Classic-> MusicalFidelity M1PWR -> Totem DreamCatcher
Computer audio: workstation -USB-> audioengine D1 -> Grado PS500e
post #131 of 131 Old 03-28-2015, 11:14 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Although we have three Sony MDR V6 headphones for several places throughout the house, I have been tempted by the Sennheiser HD 600/650. What stopped me is these two Sennheisers are open backed and we really need the isolation of closed back phones. Even though another Sony, the MDR 7520, is specifically intended for studio professionals, the 7520 sound quality has garnered high praise, and besides, they too are closed backed phones. Even so, the 7520 would make a useful, clear cut upgrade over the V6. Since the 7520 has been described as useful for general, casual, non-professional listening, we may eventually add the 7520 at our primary listening spot.

Reply Community News & Polls

Tags
Bose , Akg K702 65th Anniversary Edition , Sony , Koss Portapro Headphones With Case , Grado Prestige Series Sr80i Stereo Headphone , Sony Mdr V6 Monitor Series Headphones With Ccaw Voice Coil , Grado , Sennheiser Rs120 926 Mhz Wireless Rf Headphones With Charging Cradle , Audio Technica Ath Ad700 Open Air Dynamic Audiophile Headphones , Bose Quietcomfort 15 Acoustic Noise Cancelling Headphones , Sony Mdr7506 Professional Large Diaphragm Headphone , Sennheiser Hd 650 Headphones , Sennheiser Hd800 Over Ear Circum Aural Dynamic Premiere Headphone
Gear in this thread - K702 by PriceGrabber.com