HT of the Month: Theater for Hobbits - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 98 Old 12-13-2013, 01:45 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 244 Post(s)
Liked: 966

With the release of The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug this month, I thought it was especially appropriate to feature this build, dubbed Theater for Hobbits 2.0 by its owner, AVS member David Chiu (snowkarver), as Home Theater of the Month. (This is the second small theater built by David, hence the 2.0 designation.) The starting point was not so much a room as an alcove measuring about 10 x 10 feet in his duplex in Vancouver, BC, Canada.

"I always seem to end up with very small basement spaces to work with," David says. "The goal has always been to maximize use of the space by bringing in as many 'big theater' features while keeping the design clean and crisp. For this build, I first figured out the maximum practical screen size based on the dimensions of the front wall coupled with the available throw distance from front to back. Everything else in the design, from the size of the stage and soffits to the layout of the wall panels and seating, was effectively dictated by those measurements."

The original plan was to put the screen on the short wall opposite the angled opening to the space, but David decided it just felt right to flip the orientation by 90 degrees.

After planning for a 16:9 screen, David discovered that a Panamorph CineVista fixed anamorphic lens costs only about $1000, so he took the bold step of installing an Elite Lunette CineWhite 106-inch-wide, 2.35:1 curved screen, which helps compensate for the pincushioning of such a wide image, especially with such a short throw distance. At a seating distance of nine feet, that corresponds to 2.5 times the screen height and a 42-degree viewing angle, which is just about perfect for 1080p images.

Blue tape marks the boundaries of a 16:9 and 2.35:1 screen; the wider screen won.

The back wall of the basement room had a recessed window, which would be completely covered and provide a bit more throw distance for the projector.

One thing David really wanted—and couldn't have in his previous small theater because of the low ceiling—was a tray ceiling with rope lights. He got his wish this time.

With so little space—and a closet behind the screen wall—David could not put speakers behind an acoustically transparent screen. So he commandeered some of the closet space for the equipment rack in the corner of the room and a subwoofer niche below the screen. The Paradigm Mini Monitor LCR speakers would have to be mounted above the screen, pointing down toward the seating position.

The subwoofer niche was built to fit the SVS SB12-NSD 12" powered sub. Also in this photo is the partial frame of the small curved stage that many home-theater owners like so much.

The LCR speakers presented an unexpected challenge. "I made a minor error when measuring the height of the front wall," he recalls. "After framing, building out the equipment rack, and installing the screen, I realized that I had miscalculated the space to install the LCR speakers above the screen. They didn't fit! I spent several nights perched on a ladder trying to figure out how to make it work. In the end, I completely redesigned the upper and lower shadowboxes to use braced 1/4" plywood frames instead of 1" dimensional lumber to save a single inch. That was all the space I needed to squeeze the speakers in."

Because of the curved screen and the small size of the front LCR speakers, they can be mounted unobtrusively above the screen—that is, after compensating for a measurement error.

The surround speakers are mounted at the top of corner pilasters that are otherwise filled with rock wool to act as bass traps. The sofa is pulled out from the back wall by a few inches, so the surrounds are at about 110 degrees from the front centerline. "Because of the room shape," David says, "I opted to stay with 5.1 and not bother with rear surrounds, which would be much too close for my taste."

The surround pilasters are mostly filled with rock wool, forming so-called "superchunk" bass traps.

David doesn't listen at reference levels, so he didn't go all out with acoustic isolation. Still, the wall to the right of the screen is shared with the other half of the duplex, and although it's already decoupled with two stud walls, insulation, and 5/8" sheetrock, he installed another layer of 5/8" of sheetrock with Green Glue sound-damping compound. Also, the window in the back wall let in street noise and light, so he sealed it with two layers of 5/8" sheetrock, Green Glue, and fabric panels.

Within the room, acoustic treatment was of particular concern, especially bass buildup at the listening position, which is very near the back wall. In addition to the bass traps in the surround pillasters, David installed fiberglass bass traps in the rear soffit (which reaches back more than two and a half feet at the projector) and the space beneath the screen not occupied by the subwoofer and equipment rack. He also lined the walls with Roxul Comfortboard IS insulation, which has similar acoustic-absorption characteristics as Owens-Corning 701, an acoustic material commonly used in recording studios.

The walls are lined with Roxul Comfortboard IS insulation, which also provides some acoustic absorption.

In keeping with the low-budget nature of the theater, David uses an Epson PowerLite Home Cinema 8350 projector, which doesn't cost much more than the Panamorph CineVista anamorphic lens he placed in front of the main lens on a homemade mount. The projector doesn't do 3D, but with the anamorphic lens and the video processor in the Onkyo TX-NR818 AV receiver, it can do constant image height (CIH), changing the width of the image for 4:3, 16:9, and 2.35:1 content while keeping the height constant.

The niche created by the now-sealed window gives the projector a bit more throw distance. The anamorphic lens is in a fixed position, and the Onkyo TX-NR818 processes the video according to the image's intended aspect ratio.

David is especially proud of the hidden equipment rack. "I spent an inordinate amount of time figuring out how to make the equipment-rack door completely hidden. It appears to be a standard 3/4" kitchen-cabinet door with euro hinges, but it's actually made up of two parts—a 1/2" piece wrapped in fabric and a second 1/4" board glued and tacked to finish the inside. I then mortised the hinges through both pieces."

The equipment can be found behind a fabric-covered door next to the subwoofer niche. The system is controlled via RF, so the door can be closed in operation.

The active planning stage took about three months, and construction took another four months at a total cost of only $12,000, equally divided between equipment and building materials. David already owned the furniture from his previous Hobbit theater, and all equipment except the PS4, anamorphic lens, and subwoofer were used, closeouts, or refurbished. As for the build itself, David did all the work himself—nothing was contracted out.

The Ikea sofabed was brought from the previous Theater for Hobbits and works perfectly well in the new one.

This theater is the perfect size for kids, who are no bigger than hobbits. But adult humans also enjoy the theater very much.

Like most builders, the greatest moment was when David first fired up the projector and filled the screen with a big, beautiful 2.35 image. "I called my 6-year-old son downstairs, and we just sat on the floor staring at it, playing Pixar trailers over and over." No doubt the Hobbit movies will be played more than once in this jewel of a home theater as well.

For much more detail about how David Chiu's home theater came together, check out the build thread here.

If you'd like your home theater considered for Home Theater of the Month, PM me with the details and a link to your build thread if available.

EQUIPMENT LIST

Sources

Sony PS4 (Blu-ray, games)

Apple TV 3

AV Electronics

Onkyo TX-NR818 AV receiver

DarbeeVision Darblet video processor

Projector

Epson PowerLite Home Cinema 8350

Panamorph CineVista anamorphic lens

Screen

Elite Lunette CineWhite (106" wide, 2.35:1, curved, 1.1 gain)

Speakers

Paradigm Mini Monitors (LCR)

Paradigm Atom Monitors (LR surrounds)

SVS SB12-NSD 12" powered subwoofer

Cabling

Monoprice (inc. Redmere HDMI)

Control

Logitech Harmony 900RF universal remote

Smarthome Insteon lighting controllers

Power Conditioning

Belkin PureAV PF60

Seating

Ikea Beddinge sofabed

Like AVS Forum on Facebook

Follow AVS Forum on Twitter

+1 AVS Forum on Google+

Scott Wilkinson
AVS Editor
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 98 Old 12-13-2013, 02:34 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 64
So cosy!
post #3 of 98 Old 12-13-2013, 02:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked: 625
Send a message via Skype™ to popalock
I remember browsing through this one and being seriously impressed with just how professional the end result was!

Absolutely love the minimalist design. Only thing I would have done differently is threw in another sub...or two. That's just me though.

Outstanding job David.
blake18 and imagic like this.

post #4 of 98 Old 12-13-2013, 03:02 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 18
This is one cool, little theater room. Diggin' the thoughtful design for the space allotted. Very well done.
blake18 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 98 Old 12-13-2013, 03:15 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Really well executed! Nice work!
blake18 likes this.

Marantz 8801 Arcam P1000 Oppo 95 SystemDek IIX turntable B&W LCR6 (front 3) B&W in ceiling surround speakers Velodyne SPL-10 Subs (2) Sony xbr65x850a
post #6 of 98 Old 12-13-2013, 03:42 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 41
redface.gif

I have to admit that I was shocked when I found out that my little alcove had been chosen for HT of the Month. Given all the amazing rooms we have on AVS, this was the last one I expected to show up. I guess everyone loves an underdog.

Thanks for your compliments, and thank you to whoever nominated me. Long live the small budget build!

- 
One of the smallest-ever (13' x 8' x 6'8") AVS builds!

-
 - This time it's 2.35 CIH in a 10' x 10' alcove!

post #7 of 98 Old 12-13-2013, 04:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 244 Post(s)
Liked: 966
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowkarver View Post

redface.gif

I have to admit that I was shocked when I found out that my little alcove had been chosen for HT of the Month. Given all the amazing rooms we have on AVS, this was the last one I expected to show up. I guess everyone loves an underdog.

Thanks for your compliments, and thank you to whoever nominated me. Long live the small budget build!

HT of the Month isn't only about extravagant builds (though there will be those, too!). I am very impressed by what you did with so little room and money. Truly an inspiration to those with fewer means than dreams!

Scott Wilkinson
AVS Editor
post #8 of 98 Old 12-13-2013, 05:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 408
Very nice and congrats!
post #9 of 98 Old 12-13-2013, 06:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 31
David, great build and I'm especially impressed with coming up with solutions on the fly and you doing all the work yourself.

One reservation: you might regret choosing the 8350 for your display. That and the predecessor 8100 are notorious for premature bulb failure. Yes, Epson covers the bulb for the life of the projector warranty and will overnight new bulbs, but eventually that warranty will run out and you will be on the hook to pay for new bulbs.

I owned both the 8100 and 8350 and the most hours I got out of a bulb was roughly 1400 hours (lowest was 300 hours; yes, Epson took care of me every time but I got tired of going through bulb after bulb). Both were ceiling mounted, well ventilated, filters cleaned, and not abused.
post #10 of 98 Old 12-14-2013, 12:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 260
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowkarver View Post

redface.gif

It's a spectacular inspiration for those of use that don't have large spaces or large budgets. Beautiful work!

Looky here!
post #11 of 98 Old 12-14-2013, 04:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 218
Benchmark to show what can be done with good planning and execution.

Mike R,P.E. clickable DIY hot links:

post #12 of 98 Old 12-14-2013, 06:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 89
Sweet!

Panasonic TC-P50ST60 plasma HD television, Onkyo TX-SR805 and PIONEER ELITE VSX-47TX receivers, Klipsch RB-75(2 pair) and RB-61 bookshelf speakers, Klipsch RSW-10, RSW-12(2), Velodyne HGS-12, HGS-18 subwoofers, PS3 80G, PIONEER DV-525 dvd player, Klipsch RS-42 surrounds, Klipsch RC-52 center channel
post #13 of 98 Old 12-14-2013, 06:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 212
Very nice theater!

October HorrorFest Participant
post #14 of 98 Old 12-14-2013, 12:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Im curious how much will cost with that kind of beautiful ht set up?

Energy RC 70 fronts
Energy RC LCR center
Energy RC LCR surrounds
Rythmik LV12R and Mirage Omni 12 subwoofers
Denon 2112CI
post #15 of 98 Old 12-14-2013, 01:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Hotness.

"I knew you'd say that"...*BLAM!*
post #16 of 98 Old 12-14-2013, 02:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Always a classic and actually one of the most referenced DIY builds. Very inspiring, well done!

My 8 year old daughter: "are contractors the people that mess up your house for money?"
post #17 of 98 Old 12-14-2013, 05:19 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 28

Nice and clean.  I like that nothing was contracted out.

Vizio M551D -- Denon 1613 -- Vizio 3D Blu-ray

I find your lack of schadenfreude disturbing.

post #18 of 98 Old 12-14-2013, 05:41 PM

Liked: 11

Beautiful.  Love the lighting as much as the AV portion :)

"In the end, life and business are about human connections. And computers are about trying to murder you in a lake. And to me, the choice is easy."
~Michael Scott
post #19 of 98 Old 12-14-2013, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalvatronType_R View Post

One reservation: you might regret choosing the 8350 for your display.

I was aware of the 8350's spotty reputation - I actually have a good friend who's been through two himself due to the green blob issue. I got mine as an Epson refurb with full factory warranty for less than $800 however - and on such a tight budget, there simply wasn't any other option even in the same league. Here's hoping I have good luck.

And thanks again to everyone! I really appreciate the kind words.
geoffrsc likes this.

- 

-

post #20 of 98 Old 12-15-2013, 05:44 AM

Liked: 12
i was wondering does the roxul insulation have an Oder that you are aware of?
post #21 of 98 Old 12-15-2013, 06:54 AM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 30
The smiles in those photos are priceless! Congrats!
post #22 of 98 Old 12-15-2013, 07:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 58
Another congrats to you buddy! You really did an awesome job in such a tight space & budget. smile.gif

~ Gary

)

post #23 of 98 Old 12-15-2013, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadliner View Post

i was wondering does the roxul insulation have an Oder that you are aware of?

Nothing that I noticed after a day or two. It's just spun rock.

- 

-

post #24 of 98 Old 12-15-2013, 11:10 AM

Liked: 20

what a nice cozy room,for movies. 

I'm impress with the small space you have there and turn into a "personal theater" good job! :) 

Hsu Research HB-1 MK2
Hsu Research Hc-1 MK2
Hsu Research VTF3 mk4 12" subwoofer
JBL Surrounds ES 20's
post #25 of 98 Old 12-15-2013, 07:01 PM

Liked: 11
Awesome...fully inspired by this build!
post #26 of 98 Old 12-15-2013, 07:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 491
Well Done. Thumbs Up.

Klipsch Cornwall I,C7,RS3-II
Klipsch Heresy II, KSB 1.1
Klipsch Sub 12" X3 Hafler P3000,P1000, DH330 DH110
Yamaha RX-V1900, T-1000,A-1000 Class A, GE-20 GEQ CDC-697
ReVox A-77 Mk IV Dolby, Nakamichi BX-100 PL-518X DL103R
post #27 of 98 Old 12-16-2013, 01:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 164
This a such a cozy lil theater! Amazing what can be done in such a small space. Congrats man!

JBL Pro Cinema
post #28 of 98 Old 12-16-2013, 08:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Congrats! Excellent results for such a small space!

post #29 of 98 Old 12-16-2013, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moggie View Post

Very inspiring, well done!
Quote:
Originally Posted by landshark1 View Post

Another congrats to you buddy!

Paul, Gary, thanks for the comments. Both of your builds are right at the front of my sketchbook and were consulted often!

Quote:
Originally Posted by caloyzki View Post

Im curious how much will cost with that kind of beautiful ht set up?

I've received several comments and PMs from folks planning their own "underdog" rooms, so here's my take on budget, having done this twice.

Within reason, the smaller the space, the easier I think it is to achieve a professional finish. Why? Because the amount of expensive stuff you need to get it - wood trim, acoustic insulation, wall fabrics, screen material, amplifier watts, projector lumens - goes up exponentially for every foot you add in each dimension.

For "AVS style" results in a Hobbit-sized room of say 800-1500 cubic feet, you're looking at $10-15K to transform and outfit your previously finished space, roughly split between equipment and materials. This is if you shop hard for minimalist gear, and aren't afraid of used, refurb, or clearance stuff. The lower end of that will be 16:9 and 5.1, as speakers and lenses are obviously expensive. If the space is unfinished or you're looking for any kind of acoustic isolation, count on at least doubling the build half - which takes you to around $20K.

At the start, I think it's smarter to splurge on things like wall fabrics, the right insulation materials, and a good screen rather than the latest projector or a top-of-the-line AVR. Electronics are unbelievably easy to upgrade, and this is part of the fun as your theater ages. Ripping out carpet, redoing fabric panels, or trying to retrofit acoustic absorption - not so much. Also, when you have a Hobbit-sized room, you'd be shocked at just how little power it takes to light up a 100"+ screen or pressurize the space with bass.

From this point, you can look to the budgets for more "normal" AVS rooms (2 rows of 3-4, sometimes with another half row at back) to get an idea of where you fall. DIY everything and I see figures around $50-60K. Contract some stuff out and it goes up to $70-80K. Get fancy from there and you're into six digits and another league.

- 

-

post #30 of 98 Old 12-16-2013, 07:39 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
wow...looks very nice but as he mentioned these things cost some real dough.
Reply Community News & Polls

Tags
Home Theater Of The Month

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page