AVS Forum banner

What Do You Want To See From CES 2014?

Tags
ces ces 2014
16K views 206 replies 100 participants last post by  Orbitron 
#1 ·

CES 2014 is right around the corner and I'm really excited about attending what's sure to be a great show. Scott Wilkinson and I will be there for the entire duration, covering the latest AV-related innovations. The thing is, the variety of products on display is so vast that the two of us could never hope to cover all of it. That's where you come in—we want to know what AVS members are most interested in.

With your help, we can hone in on the sort of products that pique your interest. We're definitely covering new TVs and projectors from the major manufacturers, as well as screens and home-theater audio. I'm also going to spend some time covering high-end audio.

What do you want to see from the show? Any suggestions should be AV-related and fit into one of the categories found in the forums.

See less See more
#152 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by sytech  /t/1506944/what-do-you-want-to-see-from-ces-2014#post_24110137

If I was there I would want to check out the Glyph VR Retinal displays. Any 4K OLEDs, 4K blu-ray players, and large format true FALD, IGZO, Motheye 4K LCD.

I would ignore gimmick sets like curved displays, 105" 21:9 Samsung and LG, and any large format OLED that has no chance of becoming an actual product.
LG is unveiling 4K OLED's at CES.

#154 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by sytech  /t/1506944/what-do-you-want-to-see-from-ces-2014#post_24110137

If I was there I would want to check out the Glyph VR Retinal displays. Any 4K OLEDs, 4K blu-ray players, and large format true FALD, IGZO, Motheye 4K LCD.

I would ignore gimmick sets like curved displays, 105" 21:9 Samsung and LG, and any large format OLED that has no chance of becoming an actual product.
LG is unveiling 4K OLED's at CES.

#156 ·
I'll be touching down in Vegas tomorrow for the event. I have to work at my companies booth for one day but the rest of the week I'll be hitting the floor and checking everything out.

I'm excited to see what Panasonic will be bringing to replace their Plasma units. Hopefully a full line of 4k monitors.

I'm mostly interested in the start up space - http://www.cesweb.org/Show-Floor/TechZones/Eureka-Park

Also of note is Valve's Steam Box. I'd like to see if they have a playable unit on display.

#158 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8mile13  /t/1506944/what-do-you-want-to-see-from-ces-2014/120#post_24144502

In the C|NET review of the R520/R550, input lag is 31.9ms in Game Mode.
http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-tvs/sony-kdl-70r550a/4505-6482_7-35661322-2.html

The number one in this area is W802A with its 16.9 input lag in game mode (according C|NET)
http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-33199_7-57589240-221/best-low-lag-hdtvs-for-serious-gamers/
How does lag count when the PQ is simply horrendous on this Sony and I'll bet you it's not even a Sony panel - most likely a rebadged LG POS! I bought the 70" and returned to Amazon within 24 hours as the PQ was night and day inferior to my Samsung 65F8000 - Hands down the Sony was the worst Sony I've ever seen and Sony should be ashamed to carry their badge on garbage like the R550!

The cheap price and size meant nothing when the PQ made you want to barf as it would compare to the original LCD's from about 12 years ago - Crapola! The last thing I want to see is Sony going further backwards with vrap like the R550! Youb get what you pay for and that lag favorable is a DOG when it comes to PQ!

#162 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathu rajan  /t/1506944/what-do-you-want-to-see-from-ces-2014/150#post_24162746

Hi Value what if is 110 inch 4ktv with glasses free 3d is that okay?

Is it going to be as expensive as Samsung's 110" 4k model? It is a nice start, but until these things get under 10k the mass market won't even pay them a passing glance. Under 3k would be my jumping point.

#166 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by westa6969  /t/1506944/what-do-you-want-to-see-from-ces-2014/100_100#post_24161367

How does lag count when the PQ is simply horrendous on this Sony and I'll bet you it's not even a Sony panel - most likely a rebadged LG POS! I bought the 70" and returned to Amazon within 24 hours as the PQ was night and day inferior to my Samsung 65F8000 - Hands down the Sony was the worst Sony I've ever seen and Sony should be ashamed to carry their badge on garbage like the R550!

The cheap price and size meant nothing when the PQ made you want to barf as it would compare to the original LCD's from about 12 years ago - Crapola! The last thing I want to see is Sony going further backwards with vrap like the R550! Youb get what you pay for and that lag favorable is a DOG when it comes to PQ!

You're joking when comparing a Sony 550 vs Samsung 8000 right?

#167 ·
I want to know about the Denon X5200, X7200 and X9200 receiver's .......... since the model numbers were known several months ago, I assume they will show them at CES and it is not too early to talk about them anymore.

Paradigm.........new REAL SPEAKERS...........Studio V.6.........can you guys cover Paradigm....lots of fans waiting.

#168 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKR1963  /t/1506944/what-do-you-want-to-see-from-ces-2014/150#post_24164689

I want to know about the Denon X5200, X7200 and X9200 receiver's .......... since the model numbers were known several months ago, I assume they will show them at CES and it is not too early to talk about them anymore.

Paradigm.........new REAL SPEAKERS...........Studio V.6.........can you guys cover Paradigm....lots of fans waiting.

I can and will check out Paradigm's offerings.

#171 ·
Actually LED is a lighting illuminating tech where as DLP or LCD is a display tech.

However when you get into OLEDs that there is a display tech.

The difference between a UHP bulb projector and a LED based projector is the lighting tech, LED projector minus the color wheel.

In both of those types of projectors you still have the DMD DLP chip.

#172 ·
Crossing my fingers for Panasonic OLED! I know.. pipe dream... Some one tell the Panasonic reps I will be writing a nasty letter if they don't get an OLED out or restart plasma ASAP!

#173 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnyk  /t/1506944/what-do-you-want-to-see-from-ces-2014#post_24105000

I'd like to see under $500 AVRs with Audyssey XT 32 and multiple independent subwoofer outputs up to 4.

I asked same to Chris K @ on his facebook page 2 years ago, https://www.facebook.com/groups/audysseytechtalk/
Quote:
Michael A Rosinski

I posted this in your main facebook wall, but guys at avsforum suggested this is more appropriate place.

Is there any chance for the hi end/reference/flagship AVR's (Denon 5xxxCI line, Onkyo NR5xxx line, etc) 4 individual sub calibration will be included? Realizing this has limited marketability, yet still people with hi end Home Theatres are more and more using multiple subs to smooth out the low bass response. So, here's one customers feedback asking for it. Currently, I have the 2007 Denon AVR 4308CI with MultEQ XT.

Like · · Share · Stop Notifications · February 20, 2012 at 4:45pm

Seen by 153

February 20, 2012 at 4:53pm · Like

Chris Kyriakakis Hi Michael, we are not aware of any plans from AVR makers to go with 4 independent subs. When they do we are ready--the current Sub EQ HT algorithm is fully scalable to more subs.

Arny I'd really like to up the ability of Audyssey (either XT 32 or Pro) to help people with both subwoofer and front mains RH/LH placement, posted that idea 2 years ago - 2/21/12 at 6:19pm.
http://www.avsforum.com/t/795421/official-audyssey-thread-faq-in-post-51779/50760#post_21679016
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbdudex  /t/795421/official-audyssey-thread-faq-in-post-51779/50760#post_21679016

I post this in the Audyssey Tech Talk facebook page earlier today:

Proposal:

Audyssey technology already captures at the seating positions speakerroom response results.

With modification of those software capture routines, Audyssey could enhance it's MultEQ package offering to assist customers in determining Subwoofer(s) and Main RH/LH speaker optimized location.

Proposal itself is shown visually in the 2 pictures attached.

Knowing that for best audio/sound in a listening room, these parameters are tackled in prioritized order:

1. Speaker location, 2. Listener position, 3. Acoustic treatments, 4. Electronic correction.

Audyssey technology can be utilized for optimizing 1 and possibly 2, in addition to 4 as currently done.

On the surface, the subwoofer seems the leading candidate for this proposal, as most people's sub(s) can be changed location relatively easily.

A shift of say 6 - 12 can affect the peak/null at the Master Listening Position (MLP), so this can do the reverse of the subwoofer crawl, capturing objective data and using that to assist in optimal placement from a MLP.

>>This will also work for multiple subs, each optimized for its location relative to same MLP.

The Mains RH/LH, that location mostly is dictated within a tight envelope of front/side walls and display device, etc.

However, still opportunity for optimum placement could be identified using the same basic routines, changing the judgment criteria for Main speakers instead of subwoofer speaker(s).

(ie SBIR minimized, etc).

This proposal is the KISS concept, Keep It Short and Simple.

Baseline position plus up to (2) alternative positions would be measured from just the MLP, and then data analysis done, then visual ranking by simple #1, #2, #3.

An optional visual graph overlay of the Freq response plot/other chart would be made available.

This is a high level proposal, details of course underline it and need further discussion, but this post intent is to get the concept out.

The marketing of this seems to fit with the MultEQ XT32 customer in mind, being those customers are more tweaker orientated and will want this.

The above dealt mainly with determining 1. , speaker position.

Pict for subwoofer location proposal:

pict for main speaker location proposal

#174 ·
2nd request, also posted to Audyssey facebook page, this one December 15, 2012 at 11:41am
https://www.facebook.com/groups/audysseytechtalk/
Quote:
Q for Chris on Multi row dedicated HT:

It should be stated that for 2 row arrangements, at least my case, the are plenty of times where the 1st row is only used, say 95%+, but the 2nd row is used for large gatherings.

I'd like a easy/quick way to switch between 2 or even 3 EQ settings based upon;

1st row used, 2nd row empty (the 95% case)

1st + 2nd row used (the 4% case)

2nd row used, 1st row empty (very slim chance, 1%, but what the heck)

Now if that ability was included in AVR's it would be sweet!

Just run the EQ routine 3 times and have separate saves in the AVR memory bank, then program which EQ you want at listening time.

Yea, it could be done via store/restore to a PC, but that's not integrated solution.

So Chris, thoughts?

Have you discussed this with the various AVR makers out there?

Like · · Share · Stop Notifications · December 15, 2012 at 11:41am near Howell, MI

Seen by 145

Alexandre Cassini likes this.

Chris Kyriakakis We have been requesting this for the past 6 years. All it takes is more memory in the AVR, but it hasn't happened...

December 15, 2012 at 6:46pm · Like

Bob Weissman Huh. I had predicted that Chris would have said something like "MultEQ relies on information from the room. It doesn't matter how many seats or listeners there are." Oh wait, he did say that. Discuss.

December 15, 2012 at 10:31pm · Like

Chris Kyriakakis You can certainly "bias" MultEQ by taking more measurements in one area. It tells it that it's more important. There are cases where you need to store multiple calibrations. For example, projection screen up vs screen down. Curtains drawn vs not drawn, etc.

December 15, 2012 at 10:40pm · Like

Michael A Rosinski Glad to see Chris you see my point, I wonder why AVR makers at least for their upper and flagship products don't do this?

Maybe they needed a future upgrade path and could not give us this simple one now, rather save for later is my only thought.

December 16, 2012 at 9:01am · Like

#175 ·
What I'd like to see:

- 1080p 120hz 3D LED DLP projectors, capable of 4k at 60hz so probably something with HDMI 2.0 support.

+11 if it is NVIDIA 3DVision certified because I am tired of the EDID Overide on my K330 at each Nvidia drivers update.

- AVRs capable of transfering this 1080p 120hz 3D signal (and 4k @ 60hz) to these projectors.

Again +11 if they are compatible with NVIDIA 3DVision.

- a consumer version of the Oculus Rift with a release date, please.

#176 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wilkinson  /t/1506944/what-do-you-want-to-see-from-ces-2014/120#post_24146263

Nope! 

Okay Scott...you coaxed me out. So I apologize profusely for the faux pas. Needless to say I know your real name. And somehow your name got crossed in this old brain with a long time friend whose real name is Dan Wilkinson. So have a blast at the show Danny Boy! http://social.bioware.com/images/forum/emoticons/whistling.png

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.