Do You Consider Yourself an Audiophile? - Page 4 - AVS Forum
View Poll Results: Do You Consider Yourself an Audiophile?
Yes, it's the right word for the job 91 53.85%
No, it's an antiquated term 78 46.15%
Voters: 169. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 
 5Likes

post #91 of 273 Old 01-02-2014, 01:49 PM

Location: 41.7080574, -83.5911255 N41° 42.4834', W083° 35.4675'
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 45
I'm proud to be an audiophile. BUT I'm not part of the group who thinks that $500 cables, and cable lifters make a difference wink.gif

"Then one day you find ten years have got behind you no one told when to run you missed the starting gun."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 273 Old 01-02-2014, 01:56 PM

Location: 41.7080574, -83.5911255 N41° 42.4834', W083° 35.4675'
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by d_m1010 View Post

I consider myself an audiophile, but I have given up on the relentless pursuit of audio perfection through new and pricier gear. I am now moving from how it should sound, to how I want it to sound. I'm turning up the subs (which are eq'd) and I don't care if that bass region is over enhanced cause that's the way I like it!

I have the same way of thinking. The only thing I have turned up is my powered sub-woofer, other than that all my tone controls are set to flat.
imagic likes this.

"Then one day you find ten years have got behind you no one told when to run you missed the starting gun."
post #93 of 273 Old 01-02-2014, 02:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 407
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbeam418 View Post

I'm proud to be an audiophile. BUT I'm not part of the group who thinks that $500 cables, and cable lifters make a difference wink.gif

If you get these you could afford $1,000 cables biggrin.gif
On a serious note if people say they can hear a difference with expensive cables or other items, who am I to say they don't wink.gif

Aarghon likes this.
post #94 of 273 Old 01-02-2014, 02:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic G View Post

Audiophile to me brings to mind a specific person. A person who isn't pleased by the upgrade to say a pair of Sennheiser HD 650s (could be any high end audio) and decides to drop an extra $200 on a full silver custom cable in pursuit of a specific sound quality they aren't getting (or assumed they would get). When all they need is a decent sound card and some EQ settings. 

I am an audio enthusiast. I love music, I love electronics and modern technology but I am unwilling to spend ridiculous amounts of money just to impress people I have never met. 

If it sounds good, looks decent and is semi affordable I will jump all over it.
I am an Audio Cheap*** in pursuit of something that I alone will enjoy. To heck with what people think.
Nothing is wrong with that.
post #95 of 273 Old 01-02-2014, 02:56 PM

Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by comfynumb View Post

If you get these you could afford $1,000 cables biggrin.gif
On a serious note if people say they can hear a difference with expensive cables or other items, who am I to say they don't wink.gif

http://www.avsforum.com/t/104116/michael-greens-ten-tuning-tips-or-why-you-should-visit-nashville
post #96 of 273 Old 01-02-2014, 03:11 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm not quite sure what to make of that. I only read about 30 posts but I think I have a concussion now biggrin.gif
post #97 of 273 Old 01-02-2014, 03:24 PM

Quote:

I'm not quite sure what to make of that. I only read about 30 posts but I think I have a concussion now biggrin.gif
I know. biggrin.gif
I remember many years ago a thread where the Michael Green tuning ideas were discussed and it became pretty silly I thought. Perhaps there is merit in it but it is too much into the esoteric areas that border on voo doo logic for me.
I can understand, perhaps grounding all of one's devices and not placing gear on top of each other (transformer proximity) as being something to be aware of. But it just gets too silly to me.
And I think the HUGE volumes of verbage points out to me the importance of dividing ideas into paragraphs so the reading doesn't seem so daunting.

Sometimes I find I can't get through someone's sincere efforts to make some point here in AVSland because it is one giant paragraph.

I just thought I would post some Michael Green stuff because of the topic of Audiophile.
post #98 of 273 Old 01-02-2014, 03:55 PM

I had a friend once who spent extra money on better cables and "line scrubbers" (I think that was the name of the device) and any addon device that might improve A/V quality. He would always get the best there was of any electronic piece of gear.
He did enjoy it, however. And I think he pursued the best because from the age of 48 he was battling cancer. I think he wanted to enjoy everything as much as possible because the cancer was never completely gone. It just seemed to move around.

He was always enthusiastic about Sound quality, and he and I attended several Hi-Fi Conventions (if that's what they were called) usually at the Beverly Hilton in LA. It was pretty cool wandering from room to room and listening to all kinds of speakers, and various pieces of Audiophile gear.
The ears got a good workout. It was Disneyland for A/V geeks and I remember really enjoying it.

He died at 61 and I think he enjoyed his hobby of music listening and all the planning and investigative activities that accompanied it a great deal. He got a lot of pleasure from it.

For me a surge protector is as esoteric as I get. My cables are the ones I can afford that get the job done.
post #99 of 273 Old 01-02-2014, 03:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbeam418 View Post

I have the same way of thinking. The only thing I have turned up is my powered sub-woofer, other than that all my tone controls are set to flat.
I'm the same way.
post #100 of 273 Old 01-02-2014, 04:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 741
Quote:

What I got out of that is that "audiophiles" actually give this guy money.

post #101 of 273 Old 01-02-2014, 04:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrano View Post

I know. biggrin.gif
I remember many years ago a thread where the Michael Green tuning ideas were discussed and it became pretty silly I thought. Perhaps there is merit in it but it is too much into the esoteric areas that border on voo doo logic for me.
I can understand, perhaps grounding all of one's devices and not placing gear on top of each other (transformer proximity) as being something to be aware of. But it just gets too silly to me.
And I think the HUGE volumes of verbage points out to me the importance of dividing ideas into paragraphs so the reading doesn't seem so daunting.

Sometimes I find I can't get through someone's sincere efforts to make some point here in AVSland because it is one giant paragraph.

I just thought I would post some Michael Green stuff because of the topic of Audiophile.

I think most people just need to trust what they see and hear. There are plenty of free upgrades available for the taking smile.gif
post #102 of 273 Old 01-02-2014, 04:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd View Post

I hear you and I don't like to discredit what other people hear but if I get to the point that I'm afraid to let my cables and wires touch the floor I hope Monoprice sells an audiophile hari kari knife.
post #103 of 273 Old 01-02-2014, 04:40 PM

Quote:

I think most people just need to trust what they see and hear. There are plenty of free upgrades available for the taking smile.gif

Agreed. And the things I've learned here at AVS have been a huge help. From my first projector (Infocus X1) to recent postings about the HD131XE projector.

And all the DIY ideas I read in Home Theater Builds.
post #104 of 273 Old 01-02-2014, 04:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 741
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd View Post

I hear you and I don't like to discredit what other people hear but if I get to the point that I'm afraid to let my cables and wires touch the floor I hope Monoprice sells an audiophile hari kari knife.

LOL! I liked the part where he said if your circuit breaker box isn't mounted on wood he can't help you with some sort of whacko idea about how electricity supply to your house can be tuned.....what a nut job!

post #105 of 273 Old 01-02-2014, 04:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 412
^^^^ Ahh! Gentlemen what lies between picking the the right gear and living with it for a span of time before moving on is the extraction of all that there ! and even still today I'm shocked by the addition to the right cable for the job and while sometimes to one expensive and to another pennies considering the return in pleasure. it's important and no less a part of the equation , I'm still stomped by some who can't hear what for me is so apparent the change in the sound for better or to one's ideal sound that may exist in his or her's own head! it's the nuance that fills the sounds between. And yes I have a 1K cable and I also have a $10.00 and they both excell at there jobs which is musical pleasure to my ears tongue.gif

I shall now digress before we reach the P.O.N.R . biggrin.gif
post #106 of 273 Old 01-02-2014, 05:43 PM
AVS Special Member

^^^
Like I said earlier if people hear a difference with expensive cables who am I to say that they don't. It's the weird stuff I find hard to swallow biggrin.gif
I met a dealer that wants to basically give me an expensive HDMI cable for his cost. Not in the hundreds but it's in the 150 range, he swears I'll hear a difference.
post #107 of 273 Old 01-02-2014, 05:51 PM

money back guarantee?
post #108 of 273 Old 01-02-2014, 08:14 PM

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevon27 View Post

Is there such a thing as a POOR and Broke Audiophile? If so, then I'm one of those.

Yes.

I don't believe it's about money as a whole. If a person has $1000.00 to spend on a system but has enough knowledge to spend the money in way that will produce the best sound for him or her...has research how to get  the best bang for their buck then I believe that person is as much as an audiophile as the person who has the same intent but has a budget of $10,000.00.

If a person has the same budget(s) but has no knowledge of equipment..does no research...just wants something to listen to then I would not call them an audiophile.

My 2 cents.

Garman, AaronMK, audiofan1 and 1 others like this.
post #109 of 273 Old 01-02-2014, 08:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 298
+ 3.14159265359 to you.

Energy Rc-70 fronts, Energy Rc-70 surrounds, Energy veritas 5.2c, Energy rc-mini heights
Dual Reaction-Audio BPS212
Pioneer Elite sc-61 AVR
Pioneer Elite n50 network player
Marantz CD6004 cd player
Marantz UD5007 Blu ray player
Panasonic Tcl55dt60 led tv , Playstation 3 and a lot of old consoles
post #110 of 273 Old 01-02-2014, 09:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Mr. McIntosh: Hats off to you for a very good comment!

Ironically I have two systems running in the same room right now, one a pretty expensive system that I was lucky to put together for about half the cost and another budget system that cost under a grand that sounds amazing. I look for music I like and that are recorded very well, as my music taste are all over the map, I highly recommend:

1.) Alison Krauss + Union Station Live
2.) Music Soundtrack from the movie "August Rush"
3.) Leonard Cohen "Ten New Songs"
4.) Sting "If on a Winters Night"

Stay warm and safe everyone!
post #111 of 273 Old 01-02-2014, 09:27 PM

Liked: 17
I don't. Here's why. The meanings of words come from how people use them. I think this is especially true for titles. Regardless of the dictionary definition of a title, if you label yourself with that title you're telling the world that you are whatever they perceive that title to mean. Generally this will be based on those they've heard use that title before. For me this puts "audiophile" in the same category as "car guy", and I don't call myself either.

The vast majority of self proclaimed audiophiles I've met can't read a polar plot, don't understand a logarithmic scale, and have never taken an audio measurement of any kind. Just like the self proclaimed car guys I know don't understand basic thermodynamics, slip angles, or dynamic load transfer. There's nothing wrong with these guys or their hobbies! But it's clear to me that their hobbies are different from mine in very significant ways. They already use the titles and thereby have given those titles meanings. So those titles describe hobbies that I don't have. Why would I use them?

I'm not into "thumbs upping" or "liking". Don't take it personally. Just assume that I found your post helpful. Unless it wasn't.
post #112 of 273 Old 01-02-2014, 10:03 PM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 83
It's 12:58 am Friday EST. I'm listen to Diana Krall Album - Live in Paris, streaming from SPOTIFY and my gosh does it sound good.
I say, you can take the audiophile title and shove it up a dead pig's rectum.
Just enjoy the music.
post #113 of 273 Old 01-03-2014, 05:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrano View Post

money back guarantee?

I doubt that smile.gif
post #114 of 273 Old 01-03-2014, 07:04 AM
AVS Special Member

kevon27: lol, that was pretty funny! I enjoy music everyday! What type of device are you using for streaming? A new pig rectum streamer? jk! biggrin.gif
post #115 of 273 Old 01-03-2014, 07:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phrehdd View Post

Audiophiles are simply people who seek out being aurally pleasured.

HA - did a google search on this, omg, definitely NSFW
aurally pleasured
post #116 of 273 Old 01-03-2014, 07:57 AM

Liked: 12

Audiophile is a dirty word in many quarters, standing for people who buy into essentially audio homeopathy, insisting that 1509kbit DTS audio is distinguishable from lossless, that they can tell the difference between a very expensive and a super-expensive HDMI cable, and numerous other claims that are made repeatedly with not a shred of evidence for their validity.

post #117 of 273 Old 01-03-2014, 08:06 AM
AVS Special Member

mikeemouse: Well there are many sane Audiophiles out there, its the ones that are in your face and making false claims that can make it a dirty word.
sealmaniac likes this.
post #118 of 273 Old 01-03-2014, 08:32 AM

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurani View Post

That's like the old saying about enthusiasts seeking good music and audiophiles seeking good recordings.

Or ....both can have the same record bought at the same place but one is listening the other is looking for something in his gear that could make that recording better wink.gif .
post #119 of 273 Old 01-03-2014, 08:33 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by boguspomp View Post

Still an audiophile, even though it seems that most people that consider themselves audiophiles are the fools spending a buck load of cash on antiquated equipment to squeeze out the last 2 % of the medium that is never able to deliver it in the first place.
I believe you can be an audiophile but also adopt the newest technology to enjoy this wonderful hobby/interest. I sold my last LP's in 1988 and never looked back.
Enjoying my 5.1 HD sound and picture with a smile on my face.

Amen brother, amen!. AV-o-Phile just doesn't slip off the tongue as well does it? Glad to see I am not alone, 5.1 FTW!
imagic likes this.
post #120 of 273 Old 01-03-2014, 09:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Much of the thread seems off the original intent of the OP, but I will throw this in anyway.

As for getting cables off the floor, there is potential benefit. I used to get horrendous buzz from my speakers at times. This occurred during the winter months, when the air is much drier and static electricity is a problem. When this buzz occurred the only way I got rid of it was to turn off my amps; the buzz was in the signal path. Once I lifted my speaker cable off the floor (and off the carpet) the buzz didn't come back. So there may be merit in that sense. I didn't buy anything, I simply repositioned the cables so they didn't touch the carpet.

I don't consider myself an audiophile, as I said in my first post, based on the notion of being actively engaged in a hobby and in pursuit of sound/equipment-related goals, constantly looking for upgrades and the like. It's not something I pursue in that way. But technically, I guess I am an audiophile since I do prefer good sound as opposed to mediocre or bad sound. But i can adapt to whatever is available. If a piece of music really moves you, it can do that whether on a high-dollar rig or a table radio, I find.
Reply Community News & Polls

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page