Do You Consider Yourself an Audiophile? - Page 9 - AVS Forum
View Poll Results: Do You Consider Yourself an Audiophile?
Yes, it's the right word for the job 85 53.80%
No, it's an antiquated term 73 46.20%
Voters: 158. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #241 of 267 Old 01-20-2014, 11:54 AM
Member
 
mrslig100's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 19
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Most music I listen to is from a copy of a studio master reel.
I put each track onto a 8 track (some have to be merged) and run them through several valve amps.
I have an oscilloscope set up so I can calibrate my machines regularly.
But I do not consider myself an audiophile.
My equipment I got broken and repaired myself (saves a fortune)!
Cables make more difference than anything, don't let anyone tell you different!
mrslig100 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #242 of 267 Old 01-20-2014, 12:03 PM
AVS Special Member
 
comfynumb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Northeast PA.
Posts: 4,804
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 406
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrslig100 View Post

Most music I listen to is from a copy of a studio master reel.
I put each track onto a 8 track (some have to be merged) and run them through several valve amps.
I have an oscilloscope set up so I can calibrate my machines regularly.
But I do not consider myself an audiophile.
My equipment I got broken and repaired myself (saves a fortune)!
Cables make more difference than anything, don't let anyone tell you different!



I'd love to know how your getting a copy of the original master on tape biggrin.gif
Are you using a reel to reel setup?
comfynumb is offline  
post #243 of 267 Old 01-20-2014, 06:33 PM
Advanced Member
 
Aarghon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Canada
Posts: 756
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 297
tongue in cheek it surely was, uh? Sorry, the master tape made me think so... Apologies if it's not the case!

Energy Rc-70 fronts, Energy Rc-70 surrounds, Energy veritas 5.2c, Energy rc-mini heights
Dual Reaction-Audio BPS212
Pioneer Elite sc-61 AVR
Pioneer Elite n50 network player
Marantz CD6004 cd player
Marantz UD5007 Blu ray player
Panasonic Tcl55dt60 led tv , Playstation 3 and a lot of old consoles
Aarghon is offline  
post #244 of 267 Old 01-20-2014, 06:36 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Jack D Ripper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Burpelson Air Force Base
Posts: 1,136
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 257

Pretty much everything people listen to is a copy from a master recording.  It is not as if records and CDs spontaneously appear from nothing.


God willing, we will prevail in peace and freedom from fear and in true health through the purity and essence of our natural fluids. God bless you all.
Jack D Ripper is offline  
post #245 of 267 Old 01-20-2014, 06:55 PM
Advanced Member
 
Aarghon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Canada
Posts: 756
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 297
I think you didn't get it. Ok for the master, but a .... master studio tape reel?

Energy Rc-70 fronts, Energy Rc-70 surrounds, Energy veritas 5.2c, Energy rc-mini heights
Dual Reaction-Audio BPS212
Pioneer Elite sc-61 AVR
Pioneer Elite n50 network player
Marantz CD6004 cd player
Marantz UD5007 Blu ray player
Panasonic Tcl55dt60 led tv , Playstation 3 and a lot of old consoles
Aarghon is offline  
post #246 of 267 Old 01-20-2014, 06:59 PM
AVS Special Member
 
comfynumb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Northeast PA.
Posts: 4,804
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 406
Yep and I doubt most of us are getting a copy right from a master copy, more like a copy of a copy of a...
Aarghon likes this.
comfynumb is offline  
post #247 of 267 Old 01-20-2014, 07:02 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Jack D Ripper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Burpelson Air Force Base
Posts: 1,136
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aarghon View Post

I think you didn't get it. Ok for the master, but a .... master studio tape reel?

 

If the original recording was on a tape reel, then whatever copies exist of that recording are copies from a tape reel.  It does not matter whether your copy is an LP or CD or tape or anything else; it would be a copy of a tape reel.  And your copy may not be a first generation copy of it, but it is still a copy of it, however many generations there are between it and your copy.

 

He or she may have meant that he or she directly copied the tapes himself or herself, but he or she did not state that.


God willing, we will prevail in peace and freedom from fear and in true health through the purity and essence of our natural fluids. God bless you all.
Jack D Ripper is offline  
post #248 of 267 Old 01-20-2014, 07:08 PM
AVS Special Member
 
comfynumb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Northeast PA.
Posts: 4,804
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 406
My statement was more tongue in cheek, I think most of us know where our albums and CD's come from wink.gif
Aarghon likes this.
comfynumb is offline  
post #249 of 267 Old 01-20-2014, 08:29 PM
Senior Member
 
kbeam418's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: 41.7080574, -83.5911255 N41° 42.4834', W083° 35.4675'
Posts: 361
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack D Ripper View Post

If the original recording was on a tape reel, then whatever copies exist of that recording are copies from a tape reel.  It does not matter whether your copy is an LP or CD or tape or anything else; it would be a copy of a tape reel.  And your copy may not be a first generation copy of it, but it is still a copy of it, however many generations there are between it and your copy.

He or she may have meant that he or she directly copied the tapes himself or herself, but he or she did not state that.

Yes but the master is before anything is altered by the label, the copies for CD will be different than the copies for vinyl, or iTunes. Just the label (or mastering engineer) making changes for the formats limitations. I'll give you an example; I run the P.A. system for my church, we record all the music on cassette, when I get home I digitize the tape, in Audacity I make two masters; one redbook mastered master (peaks at-0.5, eq compensation for car speakers and some other small changes), one for mp3 (peaks at -3), and one 24/96 master that was eq'ed for a hi-fi system. The third one will be the best version because it was designed to sound like what it does in the church, where the redbook is more compressed.

When it comes to mainstream music the best master is the tape, before nothing gets altered for the format.

"Then one day you find ten years have got behind you no one told when to run you missed the starting gun."
kbeam418 is offline  
post #250 of 267 Old 01-22-2014, 05:06 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
arnyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Grosse Pointe Woods, MI
Posts: 13,645
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked: 997
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbeam418 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack D Ripper View Post

If the original recording was on a tape reel, then whatever copies exist of that recording are copies from a tape reel.  It does not matter whether your copy is an LP or CD or tape or anything else; it would be a copy of a tape reel.  And your copy may not be a first generation copy of it, but it is still a copy of it, however many generations there are between it and your copy.

He or she may have meant that he or she directly copied the tapes himself or herself, but he or she did not state that.

Yes but the master is before anything is altered by the label, the copies for CD will be different than the copies for vinyl, or iTunes. Just the label (or mastering engineer) making changes for the formats limitations. I'll give you an example; I run the P.A. system for my church, we record all the music on cassette

Cassette no matter how good, puts a very low ceiling on sound quality.

This is an economical and effective cure:

http://www.gearclubdirect.com/product.asp?itemid=2019&gclid=CJjP7qTskbwCFVLxOgodRBgAyg

arnyk is offline  
post #251 of 267 Old 01-22-2014, 05:15 AM
AVS Special Member
 
comfynumb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Northeast PA.
Posts: 4,804
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 406
Quote:
Originally Posted by arnyk View Post

Cassette no matter how good, puts a very low ceiling on sound quality.

This is an economical and effective cure:

http://www.gearclubdirect.com/product.asp?itemid=2019&gclid=CJjP7qTskbwCFVLxOgodRBgAyg




Hey Arny, have you ever used one of those recorders? I'm looking for a way of recording my vinyl that will keep it as close to original as possible.
comfynumb is offline  
post #252 of 267 Old 01-22-2014, 05:39 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Avliner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 1,061
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Hey Comfynumb,

as a side note, I can tell that I'm using the following device ( for cassettes & vinyls ), with pretty good results, though:

http://www.samash.com/behringer-u-phono-ufo202-audio-interface-bufo202xx

Regards, Chuck
Hold on tight to your dreams - ELO
Avliner is offline  
post #253 of 267 Old 01-22-2014, 05:48 AM
AVS Special Member
 
comfynumb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Northeast PA.
Posts: 4,804
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 406
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avliner View Post

Hey Comfynumb,

as a side note, I can tell that I'm using the following device ( for cassettes & vinyls ), with pretty good results, though:

http://www.samash.com/behringer-u-phono-ufo202-audio-interface-bufo202xx



Hi, thanks for your input. I'm actually just getting back into vinyl after a 20+ year absence, I'm still waiting for my TT to be delivered. Is that a phono preamp or a headphone amp? I'm not getting how I would hook it up to put vinyl on a file.
comfynumb is offline  
post #254 of 267 Old 01-22-2014, 06:11 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
arnyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Grosse Pointe Woods, MI
Posts: 13,645
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked: 997
Quote:
Originally Posted by comfynumb View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnyk View Post

Cassette no matter how good, puts a very low ceiling on sound quality.

This is an economical and effective cure:

http://www.gearclubdirect.com/product.asp?itemid=2019&gclid=CJjP7qTskbwCFVLxOgodRBgAyg


Hey Arny, have you ever used one of those recorders? I'm looking for a way of recording my vinyl that will keep it as close to original as possible.

Yes I own one and have used it for a variety of professional and personal gigs.

It's pretty straight forward - it records on USB flash drives and SDHC chips.

It records both 44/16 .wav files and MP3s at a variety of bitrates.

If you want to move upscale, there are similar products from Tascam and Marantz.
arnyk is offline  
post #255 of 267 Old 01-22-2014, 06:20 AM
AVS Special Member
 
comfynumb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Northeast PA.
Posts: 4,804
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 406
Quote:
Originally Posted by arnyk View Post

Yes I own one and have used it for a variety of professional and personal gigs.

It's pretty straight forward - it records on USB flash drives and SDHC chips.

It records both 44/16 .wav files and MP3s at a variety of bitrates.

If you want to move upscale, there are similar products from Tascam and Marantz.



It looks like a great device. Do you have any experience with the Marantz one?
comfynumb is offline  
post #256 of 267 Old 01-22-2014, 07:11 AM
Member
 
John Schlarb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: GA
Posts: 152
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by arnyk View Post

Cassette no matter how good, puts a very low ceiling on sound quality.

This is an economical and effective cure:

http://www.gearclubdirect.com/product.asp?itemid=2019&gclid=CJjP7qTskbwCFVLxOgodRBgAyg

For the same price, I really like my Sony PCM-M10. It's portable, supports 96/24 recording, and has built-in L/R microphones for field recording.

John Schlarb is offline  
post #257 of 267 Old 01-22-2014, 11:21 AM
Senior Member
 
kbeam418's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: 41.7080574, -83.5911255 N41° 42.4834', W083° 35.4675'
Posts: 361
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by arnyk View Post

Cassette no matter how good, puts a very low ceiling on sound quality.

This is an economical and effective cure:

http://www.gearclubdirect.com/product.asp?itemid=2019&gclid=CJjP7qTskbwCFVLxOgodRBgAyg


I church's budget is to low to afford anything like that. We normally record on CD and I'm able to get a pretty dynamic mix, once I do some eq'in things can sound very good.

"Then one day you find ten years have got behind you no one told when to run you missed the starting gun."
kbeam418 is offline  
post #258 of 267 Old 01-22-2014, 10:22 PM
Member
 
Krell789's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 15
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I consider myself a audiophile I tend to listen to music more than watch movies. I don't listen to my Equipment , people that do that only keep there Equipment for a couple of months before buying something else, there never satisfied. I'm not saying audiophiles don't upgrade there Equipment they do it just that they study the Equipment before purchase , when they do they tend to keep it for years or never get rid of it. A audiophile will go into there room sit down and will not multitask while they listen to there music. When I listen to my music I become absorbed into it. Its very therapeutic for me.
Krell789 is offline  
post #259 of 267 Old 01-23-2014, 07:05 AM
Member
 
mrslig100's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 19
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Im not on about cassette tapes
Most the files I transfer onto the tapes where flac or 320mp3 so its never gonna be as good as a real reel (crap pun intended)
There is a special place on the net I get these from only with albums I have brought already though.
I dont know what these have been ripped onto but most of them are stunning beyond belief.
The cap on the quality will always be the worst device in the chain. If it means anything my tape machine is a fostex R8 that I got in a terrible state. Ive almost restored it but with fitting 8 tracks on a 1/4" tape you are going to get quality loss. All my amps/speakers are different pairs. most I got broken. So the odds are anything bottle necking the journey from the master tape to my ears is the setup.
I would not trade any of my setup for the world but the total value for the lot is under 2K.
There are people here who would easily (somehow) fork out 20k just for a good amp!
Those are the "real" audiophiles.
mrslig100 is offline  
post #260 of 267 Old 01-23-2014, 10:11 AM
Senior Member
 
kbeam418's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: 41.7080574, -83.5911255 N41° 42.4834', W083° 35.4675'
Posts: 361
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrslig100 View Post

Im not on about cassette tapes
Most the files I transfer onto the tapes where flac or 320mp3 so its never gonna be as good as a real reel (crap pun intended)
There is a special place on the net I get these from only with albums I have brought already though.
I dont know what these have been ripped onto but most of them are stunning beyond belief.
The cap on the quality will always be the worst device in the chain. If it means anything my tape machine is a fostex R8 that I got in a terrible state. Ive almost restored it but with fitting 8 tracks on a 1/4" tape you are going to get quality loss. All my amps/speakers are different pairs. most I got broken. So the odds are anything bottle necking the journey from the master tape to my ears is the setup.
I would not trade any of my setup for the world but the total value for the lot is under 2K.
There are people here who would easily (somehow) fork out 20k just for a good amp!
Those are the "real" audiophiles.

True. Actually just bought some CD-RW so I only need one CD for the next 15 years or so.

"Then one day you find ten years have got behind you no one told when to run you missed the starting gun."
kbeam418 is offline  
post #261 of 267 Old 02-09-2014, 07:45 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Avliner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 1,061
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by comfynumb View Post

Hi, thanks for your input. I'm actually just getting back into vinyl after a 20+ year absence, I'm still waiting for my TT to be delivered. Is that a phono preamp or a headphone amp? I'm not getting how I would hook it up to put vinyl on a file.

Hey Comfynumb,

first off, let me apologize for not replying before, as I was outta town on a business trip though...

Yeah, it's also a phono preamp, with a built-in phone jack with volume control. The procedcure is the very same for recording both, cassette & vinyl though.
Just plug in the USB cable on your computer (after downloading the free Audacity recording software) and start playing the TT or TD and press the REC button over at Audacity software and you're good to go smile.gif

Regards, Chuck
Hold on tight to your dreams - ELO
Avliner is offline  
post #262 of 267 Old 02-18-2014, 10:42 AM
AVS Special Member
 
comfynumb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Northeast PA.
Posts: 4,804
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 406
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avliner View Post

Hey Comfynumb,

first off, let me apologize for not replying before, as I was outta town on a business trip though...

Yeah, it's also a phono preamp, with a built-in phone jack with volume control. The procedcure is the very same for recording both, cassette & vinyl though.
Just plug in the USB cable on your computer (after downloading the free Audacity recording software) and start playing the TT or TD and press the REC button over at Audacity software and you're good to go smile.gif



Hi Av,

No problem and I didn't see your response before now.

I understand how it works now, and thanks for the info.
comfynumb is offline  
post #263 of 267 Old 02-18-2014, 06:29 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Avliner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 1,061
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
You're pretty much welcome, Sir cool.gif

Regards, Chuck
Hold on tight to your dreams - ELO
Avliner is offline  
post #264 of 267 Old 04-18-2014, 10:35 PM
Newbie
 
barelyderr251's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by comfynumb View Post

I don't want to speak for other people but... if you find yourself doing any of the following you may be an audiophile;

1) Daydreaming about coming home from work and sitting down and listening to the gear in your room.
2) Know and can also hear the difference between Dolby Digital and DD+
3) Find yourself reading 3 or more reviews before buying any piece of gear.
4) You won't purchase a Blu-ray Disc unless the AVS reviewers give it at least "90" in the audio department.
5) Own the same album in 3 or more different formats so you can squeeze that last little bit of sonic bliss out of a 40 year old recording.
6) Preorder more than your share of discs during the year.
7) Can recognize the difference in sound between the UPS truck and the Fedex truck from 2 blocks away.
8) Currently own 3 or more complete setups and won't part with any of them.

Feel free to add to the list biggrin.gif

 

Ok , so am I not an audiophile since I just do #s 2 3 and 5 ? :D:D:D

barelyderr251 is offline  
post #265 of 267 Old 04-19-2014, 06:02 AM
FMW
AVS Special Member
 
FMW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 4,453
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 616
I'm a reformed audiophile. I certainly don't miss it and I enjoy my music listening more now that I'm no longer consumed with equipment.
FMW is offline  
post #266 of 267 Old 04-20-2014, 09:57 PM
Senior Member
 
trem0lo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 382
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I guess I would be. I make music for a living, most often with orchestra and without amplification, and strive to recreate historical performances in my home. Unfortunately I can't afford the $50,000 system I was privy to years ago, but my modest system will get you halfway there. Nothing beats live, though smile.gif
trem0lo is offline  
post #267 of 267 Old 04-21-2014, 06:06 AM
Advanced Member
 
Aarghon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Canada
Posts: 756
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 297
wrong thread , sorry !

Energy Rc-70 fronts, Energy Rc-70 surrounds, Energy veritas 5.2c, Energy rc-mini heights
Dual Reaction-Audio BPS212
Pioneer Elite sc-61 AVR
Pioneer Elite n50 network player
Marantz CD6004 cd player
Marantz UD5007 Blu ray player
Panasonic Tcl55dt60 led tv , Playstation 3 and a lot of old consoles
Aarghon is offline  
Reply Community News & Polls

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off