Hunting for TV Bargains on Presidents Day - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 37 Old 02-09-2014, 08:27 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Writer @ AVS

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1044 Post(s)
Liked: 2200

The television-manufacturing industry operates on an annual cycle that begins with the Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas. This year, Sony, LG, Samsung, Sharp, Toshiba, Panasonic, and a number of Chinese manufacturers all had a major presence on the show floor. More importantly, many of those companies announced plans to ship their new televisions during the first quarter of 2014. Presidents Day weekend presents an opportunity for HDTV retailers to clear out old inventory to make space for the new.

Presidents Day coincides with the product cycle of the TV industry

If you resisted the temptation to buy a new TV over the holiday season, but you are in the market for one, the time has come to look at the options. Presidents Day sales are only a week away, and the month that follows is prime time for open-box and demo-unit shoppers. Whether you plan to take advantage of a sale on a new item, or you are shopping for a deeply discounted open-box item, there are many factors to consider before taking the plunge.

When shopping for a TV, one major consideration is the choice between HD and UHD resolution. Currently, UHDTVs command a significant premium over their HD counterparts. At the same time, the majority of UHDTVs released in 2013 lack features such as HDMI 2.0 that are needed for forward compatibility with higher frame rates at UHD resolution.

Samsung's HU9000 UHDTVs

UHDTVs were ubiquitous at CES 2014

I can't predict what will happen to last year's crop of UHDTVs when they go on clearance, but I would expect to see prices that are a mere fraction of the original MSRP. Even if 2013's UHDTVs go on clearance, it might not represent a good deal when compared to the 2014 models that are coming out. Vizio and a number of Chinese manufacturers are going to put tremendous pricing pressure on the Japanese and Korean TV makers. For now, I would recommend that bargain hunters stay away from 2013-model UHDTVs altogether.

As most AVS members know, 2013 was a rough year for plasma-television fans. Panasonic abandoned the category altogether, despite the accolades its plasma panels garnered in the press. One thing you are not likely to see this Presidents Day is a plethora of Panasonic plasmas on clearance. The majority of those are already gone. However, LG and Samsung still sell plasmas, and LG in particular announced new models at CES—including the 60-inch P6900, a 3D-capable model. Although LG doesn't make a reference-level plasma, the models it does offer possess the qualities that draw videophiles to the original flat-panel technology such as deep, uniform blacks and wide viewing angles. Since new models are on the way, keep on the lookout for deals on 2013 models—plasma is a mature technology. From a technical standpoint, there is not going to be much difference between 2013 and 2014 plasmas.

Samsung's F8500 plasma is reference quality and still in production

Although Samsung did not present any new plasma panels at CES 2014, the company is on the record stating that there will be new models introduced later this year. More precisely, Samsung says it will introduce a lower-cost variant of the award-winning F8500 plasma, an HDTV that deserves the "reference" moniker. Unfortunately, the CES-based product-release cycle doesn't apply to Samsung's plasmas. On the other hand, if you find a really good President's Day deal on a 2013 model such as the aforementioned F8500, it might be worth the investment. Dollar for dollar, plasma panels still beat anything else out there in terms of ultimate image quality in a dark-room environment. There's no telling how much longer either LG or Samsung will continue to make them, it's not likely that prices are going to drop much lower, and there will most likely be no major advances in the technology itself. Unless you're dead set on buying a UHDTV, you need something really bright for a sunroom or kitchen, or you need a screen size above 65 inches, you should seriously consider this Presidents Day as a prime opportunity to pick up a new plasma.

There will be plenty of sales on LED-lit LCD HDTVs. Pricing pressure from Chinese manufacturers means that even high-end models are already relatively affordable. Still, there are several things to consider when hunting for a bargain on LCD-based HDTVs.

One of the most interesting news items to come out of CES 2014 was Vizio's abandonment of support for 3D throughout all of its television lines. The company will continue to sell the 2013 M-series (50 inches and up) alongside its new 2014 M-series, but there is no telling how long that will last. The 2013 M-series featured some of the best passive 3D that I've seen on a 1080p HDTV. If you see a 2013 Vizio M-series on sale this Presidents Day and you are a fan of 3D on a budget, this might be a good time to snag one.

Vizio's 2014 M-series eschews 3D but gains a backlit local dimming LED array

Most major manufacturers refreshed their 1080p flat-panel lineups for 2014 by adding improved smart features. However, the majority of those features duplicate what is offered by set-top boxes such as Apple TV, Roku, and Chromecast as well as connected Blu-ray players and game consoles. There are literally too many different models of LED-LCD HDTVs out there to discuss them all, but the general approach I suggest is to look at the specs and compare the 2013 and 2014 models. If a model is only receiving a cosmetic refresh, then buying the 2013 version of that model is likely to be a good deal.

The month following Presidents Day weekend is probably the best time of the year for hard-core TV bargain hunters. It's the time when the previous year's models come off the walls of brick and mortar stores. Because TVs are big-ticket items, it can be worth driving a few miles for a good deal. Best Buy even lets you search stores within a certain radius to find all the available open-box and clearance items.

Here is one rule of thumb when shopping for the best bargains: The more that's missing from the original box contents, the lower the price. A TV that comes without a stand is perfect for a wall-mounted installation yet can cost hundreds less than the same TV on clearance that includes a stand.

If you go bargain hunting at brick-and-mortar shops and are planning on buying an open-box or store-demo unit, you also need to plan on testing it in the store. For plasmas, it's more-or-less mandatory that you test the screen on-site. Remember that plasmas are relatively fragile and susceptible to burn in and image retention. No matter what kind of TV you're buying, if it's an open box or store demo, you'll also need to bring something like a big blanket or other padding with you to protect it for the ride home.

It's worth noting that AVR manufacturers generally follow the same refresh cycle as the TV industry, so keep your eyes open for deals on 2013 units while you're out TV shopping. That's how I found the Pioneer Elite SC-55 receiver I currently use—I was shopping for post-Presidents Day TVs. It is one of many A/V items I've bought on clearance over the years, usually for less than half of retail.

One more bargain-hunting tip—extended warranties typically charge according to the retail price of the item. If you buy an extended warranty for a TV that is on clearance at half price, the extended warranty will also cost less. Still, I never buy extended warranties, and I've never had a piece of open-box or store-demo gear fail on me, but it's worth remembering.

Do you have plans to shop for a deeply discounted TV this Presidents Day? Are you planning to pounce when the 2013 models come off the store display walls? Or are you willing to wait for the 2014 models to arrive?

Like AVS Forum on Facebook

Follow AVS Forum on Twitter

+1 AVS Forum on Google+

Find out more about Mark Henninger at www.imagicdigital.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 Old 02-10-2014, 04:58 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Hopefully the Vizio M series will be available by then lol...
post #3 of 37 Old 02-11-2014, 02:23 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 20

Not to be a downer but it seems like every holiday is getting a shopping sale. I understand it's when they roll out the new products but it seems to kind of cheapen the memories of the greatest leaders of our Country. It is the same with Black Friday and Christmas and all of the other sales. If I was in the market for a new TV I might be a little less snarky, but come on. 

Next it will be the "Read Across America Day Kindle Sale" (March 3rd) , to be followed by the "Arbor Day Paper Sale". :rolleyes:

Aarghon likes this.
post #4 of 37 Old 02-11-2014, 01:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 48
I just picked up a open box Panasonic 60" ST60 at BB for under $1000 only thing missing was the glasses and their going to deliver it for free. So the deals are out there.

Smart enough to know better, to old to care
post #5 of 37 Old 02-12-2014, 03:30 PM

Liked: 19
Which is a deal that YOU would buy?
Panasonic 55" ST60 for $1350
Panasonic 65" VT60 for $2250 (display)
Samsung 60" F8500 for $2300

7.0 HT Setup:
***Polk RTIA9 / CSIA6 / FXIA6 / RTIA3**Dual PB-2000**Pioneer SC-1222K**Panasonic 65"VT60**Sony BDP-BX510***

post #6 of 37 Old 02-12-2014, 03:43 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Writer @ AVS

Quote:
Originally Posted by HKPolkMe View Post

Which is a deal that YOU would buy?
Panasonic 55" ST60 for $1350
Panasonic 65" VT60 for $2250 (display)
Samsung 60" F8500 for $2300

65-inch VT60 for $2250, for sure
HKPolkMe likes this.

post #7 of 37 Old 02-12-2014, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post

65-inch VT60 for $2250, for sure
I'm new to this home theater stuff and I'm a guy that still owns an 8yo 50" DLP but your recommendation is based on best picture quality of the 3 or is that the best value for price to quality? Thank sir

7.0 HT Setup:
***Polk RTIA9 / CSIA6 / FXIA6 / RTIA3**Dual PB-2000**Pioneer SC-1222K**Panasonic 65"VT60**Sony BDP-BX510***

post #8 of 37 Old 02-12-2014, 05:09 PM

Liked: 60
^I would also pick the 65VT60. The value is outrageous! But I would demand a remote and 20min to inspect for burn in as it is a display and the clowns at BestBuy are less than kind to the displays. I found a 60ST60 for a great price on display, it had terrible burn in. I returned it and after some pleasant (I tore him a new one for wrecking one of the best TVs ever made) words wit the manager left with the 60F8500 for under 2k.
HKPolkMe likes this.

post #9 of 37 Old 02-12-2014, 07:04 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Writer @ AVS

Quote:

I'm new to this home theater stuff and I'm a guy that still owns an 8yo 50" DLP but your recommendation is based on best picture quality of the 3 or is that the best value for price to quality? Thank sir

For calibrated dark room viewing, the VT60 is the best, period.
HKPolkMe likes this.

post #10 of 37 Old 02-13-2014, 03:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 200
Here is some info for bargain hunters heading to Sears:

All of Sears pricing is based off of the original list price. So for a 60" Samsung F8000 that is $3199 - a price it probably never actually sold for. They are always "on sale" to some degree or another.

This week in my area that model is "on sale" for $2599. If they have one new in the box that's what you pay to take it home.

Heres where things get really fun:

We know that model is from 2013 and will be phased out within the coming weeks. But until Sears declares it to be officially discontinued they cant sell the floor model, even if there are none in the local supply chain and it cant be ordered to the store for you. TV is in the ad for $2599 but doesn't actually exist...

Say they finally do have the ok to sell the floor model right now. The new in box ones are "on sale" for $2599. But floor model clearance pricing is based on the original list price - $3199. So you see a yellow "closeout" floor model tag on it and look at the price - $2879.

Wait a minute, the ad says $2599! Youre telling me this floor model costs MORE? Yep, that's exactly what im telling you. The "closeout" pricing is based off the list, not street price. The longer it sits the more the price drops. A lot of them will still be there by Memorial Day. There's also a good chance it's stupid floor model price will be more than the selling price of the 2014 model that replaces it once they pop up in stores.

So give me a new one you say. Can't do it. They don't exist in the local supply chain. Even if it was in the ad and on the website...

Here is the key to the decimal numbers on prices youre looking at:

.99 = normal selling price
.97 = discontinued status, but there should still be new in box merchandise
.93 = floor model/open box/customer return
.88 = really old and they want it gone. has been discontinued for a while. should be new in box.
greenhavenn likes this.

My HTPC front end set up
Integration for whole home ATSC, CableCARD, FM radio, Blu-Ray, HD-DVD, DVD, VHS control & capture, video games, and archived & streaming media playback
Mironto's Panasonic plasma black level restoration guide
Restore the initial MLL on a 2009 Panasonic plasma
post #11 of 37 Old 02-13-2014, 07:04 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 299
Hello people, I did get a good deal on a panasonic TCL 55dt60 for 1000$... But I was primarily looking to buy one of the last panasonic plasmas, since my previous one was also a panasonic plasma... But they are all sold out here grrrr... I said to myself ok, the difference won't be that bad, the different set of trade offs will maybe please me...

Well, I already knew it, but I must admit I'm shocked at the quality difference about movement. Is it me, or ALL ( or almost Led tvs) suffer some kind of motion blur or judder?!? I went for a middle tier line precisely because I wanted to be sure that the motion engine would be up to task... But damn, regardless of the settings, I always see blurring/ and or artifcats, even at slow motion speed. And i was seeing it in a lot of other decent models from other brands, too

Is it the placebo effect, or in addition of DESTROYING led tv's for picture quality, they can't even closely compete with plasma in that department? Maybe I just can't "set up motion" correctly yet... ?

I might take it back, and get a samsung plasma,but *sigh* I will miss my panny plasma mad.gif

Energy Rc-70 fronts, Energy Rc-70 surrounds, Energy veritas 5.2c, Energy rc-mini heights
Dual Reaction-Audio BPS212
Pioneer Elite sc-61 AVR
Pioneer Elite n50 network player
Marantz CD6004 cd player
Marantz UD5007 Blu ray player
Panasonic Tcl55dt60 led tv , Playstation 3 and a lot of old consoles
post #12 of 37 Old 02-13-2014, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aarghon View Post

Hello people, I did get a good deal on a panasonic TCL 55dt60 for 1000$... But I was primarily looking to buy one of the last panasonic plasmas, since my previous one was also a panasonic plasma... But they are all sold out here grrrr... I said to myself ok, the difference won't be that bad, the different set of trade offs will maybe please me...

Well, I already knew it, but I must admit I'm shocked at the quality difference about movement. Is it me, or ALL ( or almost Led tvs) suffer some kind of motion blur or judder?!? I went for a middle tier line precisely because I wanted to be sure that the motion engine would be up to task... But damn, regardless of the settings, I always see blurring/ and or artifcats, even at slow motion speed. And i was seeing it in a lot of other decent models from other brands, too

Is it the placebo effect, or in addition of DESTROYING led tv's for picture quality, they can't even closely compete with plasma in that department? Maybe I just can't "set up motion" correctly yet... ?

I might take it back, and get a samsung plasma,but *sigh* I will miss my panny plasma mad.gif

Take it back, if you can afford the F8500 it is worth getting. I have a 2012 Panasonic Plasma and the F8500 and the Samsung is a LOT better in the dark. My wife was pretty upset I got a Samsung, she is a Panasonic fan-girl. She has come around pretty quickly.

post #13 of 37 Old 02-13-2014, 07:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 299
Oh, being a panasonic fan boy too it is a suggestion worth considering biggrin.gif Will check if I can get a good price on it!

Thanks!

Energy Rc-70 fronts, Energy Rc-70 surrounds, Energy veritas 5.2c, Energy rc-mini heights
Dual Reaction-Audio BPS212
Pioneer Elite sc-61 AVR
Pioneer Elite n50 network player
Marantz CD6004 cd player
Marantz UD5007 Blu ray player
Panasonic Tcl55dt60 led tv , Playstation 3 and a lot of old consoles
post #14 of 37 Old 02-13-2014, 08:11 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Writer @ AVS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris5028 View Post

Take it back, if you can afford the F8500 it is worth getting. I have a 2012 Panasonic Plasma and the F8500 and the Samsung is a LOT better in the dark. My wife was pretty upset I got a Samsung, she is a Panasonic fan-girl. She has come around pretty quickly.

Which 2012 Panasonic are you comparing to the F8500? Are either of your TV's caliberated? For dark room viewing a calibrated 2013 Panasonic VT60 or ZT60 performs slightly better overall vs. the F8500 thanks to superior black levels. The Samsung is better than the Pannys for ambient light viewing environments where a maximum brightness over 40 foot-Lamberts is desirable.

post #15 of 37 Old 02-14-2014, 02:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: Sacramento delta N. Cal. US Don't trust any air I can't see ☺
Quoted: 469 Post(s)
Liked: 352
I bought a 2012 Sammie Plasma last year at this time on sale along with a real decent 32" Toshiba LCD both were very well priced at this time last year.

I just ordered a new Sony 40 KDLR450A for my bedroom last night I saw one at BB a while back very decent picture even in the store. they were sold out of them when I went there yesterday . I bet the next few weeks could be interesting in general though .

A Sony factory rep was there and he said the KDL 40 R450A'a were sold out almost everywhere they are not avail from Sony now either only pre orders for it's 2014 replacement.
The Sony rep did say the main emphasis at Sony was going to be 4K and 55" or above sizes .

I found a new Sony R450a not too unreasonably priced on line (well under sugg. list) when I got home and ordered it .I was stalking it for a few days and got the 4th from the last one at that particular site . The other 3 are gone now as well today.

The usually very good Sammie UN 40EH5500 /5300 I've seen with the better panels in them were not avail and it showed none in the back with the right #'s either ( I had codes from AVS with me ) I was thinking about maybe getting one or a decent 40" Toshiba either would have probably been fine none of those to be had there either. So I am getting The Sony

I'm glad I was able to find the Sony on line.new ones are scarce . I wasn't to keen about taking my chances with the panel lottery on line with an otherwise good Sammie. Maybe I could have waited for a Sammie with a good panel but the Sony was on my short as well .

I have an 42LN5300 LG in another room that's a non starter no way .
At least the one I have got a low end 300cd/m2 (not a horrible spec) but way to low 2000: 1 contrast LG panel and it shows .

The new Sony should have a decently bright maybe ~ 450cd/m2 ~ 5000:1 CR panel from what I can find out if it's like the one I saw that would be believable. I've owned 2 Sony's in the past they were good for me and both lasted a long time .

Hires Music formats ..............."Why does it sound like a CD ?" ............. "can we make it louder "?
"The wireless music box has no commercial value. Who would pay for a message sent to nobody in particular?"
- David Sarnoff's associates at RCA the 1920's -
post #16 of 37 Old 02-14-2014, 03:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: Sacramento delta N. Cal. US Don't trust any air I can't see ☺
Quoted: 469 Post(s)
Liked: 352
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsoccer33 View Post

All of Sears pricing is based off of the original list price. So for a 60" Samsung F8000 that is $3199 - a price it probably never actually sold for. They are always "on sale" to some degree or another.

Wait a minute, the ad says $2599! Youre telling me this floor model costs MORE? Yep, that's exactly what im telling you. The "closeout" pricing is based off the list, not street price. The longer it sits the more the price drops. A lot of them will still be there by Memorial Day. There's also a good chance it's stupid floor model price will be more than the selling price of the 2014 model that replaces it once they pop up in stores.

Same thing at BB not uncommon to occasionally see an exact same open box or clearance priced sku higher than new mdse on sale price
although I would believe it is more frequent and pervasive at Sears Eddie Lambert has unfortunately ruined Sears and Kmart .

Hires Music formats ..............."Why does it sound like a CD ?" ............. "can we make it louder "?
"The wireless music box has no commercial value. Who would pay for a message sent to nobody in particular?"
- David Sarnoff's associates at RCA the 1920's -
post #17 of 37 Old 02-14-2014, 02:16 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 29
The Panasonic VT/ZT/ST plasmas are already sold out (everywhere I looked). You might be able to pick up a floor model. Although with the IR sensitivity these Panny plasmas have, you'll have to really look it over.

The only game in town for a BNIB high-end Plasmas is the F8500.
post #18 of 37 Old 02-15-2014, 11:58 AM

Here is an update on what I have found in the past few days
Panasonic 55" ST60 for $1215 (display)...dk hours
Panasonic 65" VT60 for $2000 (display) ...has about 3340 hours
Samsung 60" F8500 for $2000 (display)...dk hours

Does your opinion change based on new information? Is the hours on the 65" VT60 something to stay away from or offer them to reduce it a few hundred dollars more?

7.0 HT Setup:

post #19 of 37 Old 02-15-2014, 02:36 PM

Quote:

Which 2012 Panasonic are you comparing to the F8500? Are either of your TV's caliberated? For dark room viewing a calibrated 2013 Panasonic VT60 or ZT60 performs slightly better overall vs. the F8500 thanks to superior black levels. The Samsung is better than the Pannys for ambient light viewing environments where a maximum brightness over 40 foot-Lamberts is desirable.

Its the ST50. neither of them are calibrated. I use the CNET settings with a few adjustments and both sets look almost identical with the exception of the better blacks in a dark room on the Samsung. I wish I could afford to get this bad boy calibrated by a real pro!

If the panel doesn't seem to have any issues I would jump on the VT still. When you run the scrolling bar for a few min any burn in is pretty evident as the white bar passes. I would return My Samsung if I could find a VT within a couple hundred miles.... I still have a lot of Love for Panasonic.

post #20 of 37 Old 02-16-2014, 06:29 PM

Went out Panasonic plasma hunting today!!! Need your advice please...Which of these floor models would you recommend buying based on value (performance to cost):

65" ZT60  $2,300  (2,875 hours)

60" ST60  $1,200  (2,030 hours)

60" VT60  $1,100  (3,440 hours)

60" ST60  $   800  (3,495 hours)

I have it in order of what I think is the best value and what I am leaning on purchasing.  I like the 65" ZT60 cause its has the size and picture quality!  I like the 60" ST60 cause of the lowest hours and has the value factor.

Please help make an educated decision.  Thank you

7.0 HT Setup:

post #21 of 37 Old 02-16-2014, 08:57 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Writer @ AVS

Quote:

Went out Panasonic plasma hunting today!!! Need your advice please...Which of these floor models would you recommend buying based on value (performance to cost):

65" ZT60  $2,300  (2,875 hours)
60" ST60  $1,200  (2,030 hours)
60" VT60  $1,100  (3,440 hours)
60" ST60  $   800  (3,495 hours)

I have it in order of what I think is the best value and what I am leaning on purchasing.  I like the 65" ZT60 cause its has the size and picture quality!  I like the 60" ST60 cause of the lowest hours and has the value factor.

Please help make an educated decision.  Thank you

No doubt about it, the ZT60 is the cream of the crop and the extra bit of screen real estate is a nice bonus. 1,500 hours difference is so insignificant that I'd swap the ST60 and VT60 in your list, because the VT60 is a fair bit better than the ST60 in terms of image quality.

On a pure value equation, I think the VT60 wins out. But a 65-inch ZT60 for $2300 is a good deal for top-of-the-line quality at a mid-level price.

post #22 of 37 Old 02-16-2014, 09:10 PM

Quote:

No doubt about it, the ZT60 is the cream of the crop and the extra bit of screen real estate is a nice bonus. 1,500 hours difference is so insignificant that I'd swap the ST60 and VT60 in your list, because the VT60 is a fair bit better than the ST60 in terms of image quality.

On a pure value equation, I think the VT60 wins out. But a 65-inch ZT60 for $2300 is a good deal for top-of-the-line quality at a mid-level price.

Thanks imagic...I do value your opinion a lot...what I didn't mention is that the VT60 has no remote and base...does that change your opinion?

7.0 HT Setup:

post #23 of 37 Old 02-16-2014, 09:24 PM

Where did you find the ZT? I am down for a road trip!

post #24 of 37 Old 02-16-2014, 09:36 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Writer @ AVS

Quote:

Thanks imagic...I do value your opinion a lot...what I didn't mention is that the VT60 has no remote and base...does that change your opinion?

For me, personally, I'd want a base. If you are wall-mounting then the base is a waste. I use my Android tablet as a remote control, I don't consider that a big stumbling block. However, that does make the 65-inch ZT60 just a bit more attractive.
HKPolkMe likes this.

post #25 of 37 Old 02-16-2014, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris5028 View Post

Where did you find the ZT? I am down for a road trip!

at a local BB that has a Magnolia...

7.0 HT Setup:

post #26 of 37 Old 02-20-2014, 10:42 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 25

An open-box buy can be a real treat. Guaranteed that a Best Buy store about an hour away would have an open-box Samsung PN51F5300 when I got there for an agreed-upon price of $499, I drove to the store only to discover the sales clerk could not find it. There were five in stock, and all five were new. She simply pulled one of the new ones, sold it to me for $499, and I came home a happy fellow.

post #27 of 37 Old 02-21-2014, 09:54 AM

Liked: 12
This is a pretty timely thread!

Wife just gave me clearance to upgrade the TV to a larger size since we're now wall hanging it.

Back in the day I did a ton a research, and ended up with the Panny PZ850U. We're looking to get something with a thinner bezel and larger screen size. 60 or 65", haven't decided yet.

Can you guys point me in the right direction? I've typically been down on LED given washout, but that's probably long since been fixed with new technologies. When do we think the 2014 UHD will be out, and when do we really think content will be available for them? And then the question is how do they do with non-UHD material?

Thanks for any guidance you folks can give.
post #28 of 37 Old 02-21-2014, 05:16 PM

If you have to have it now the Samsung F8500 is fantastic. If you can wait they are supposed to be releasing a more budget friendly model with the same PQ and less features around May if I remember correctly. Another option if you are waiting is to see what the Vizio reference series ends up looking like. I guess it depends on your wallet size at this point.

post #29 of 37 Old 02-22-2014, 06:08 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsoccer33 View Post

This week in my area that model is "on sale" for $2599. If they have one new in the box that's what you pay to take it home.

Heres where things get really fun:

We know that model is from 2013 and will be phased out within the coming weeks. But until Sears declares it to be officially discontinued they cant sell the floor model, even if there are none in the local supply chain and it cant be ordered to the store for you. TV is in the ad for $2599 but doesn't actually exist...

Say they finally do have the ok to sell the floor model right now. The new in box ones are "on sale" for $2599. But floor model clearance pricing is based on the original list price - $3199. So you see a yellow "closeout" floor model tag on it and look at the price - $2879.

So give me a new one you say. Can't do it. They don't exist in the local supply chain. Even if it was in the ad and on the website...

Here is the key to the decimal numbers on prices youre looking at:

.99 = normal selling price
.97 = discontinued status, but there should still be new in box merchandise
.93 = floor model/open box/customer return
.88 = really old and they want it gone. has been discontinued for a while. should be new in box.

Wrong dude, Sears was selling floor models the week before Super Bowl; that's how I got my 55ST60 on sale as a floor model.
post #30 of 37 Old 03-07-2014, 01:30 PM

I am super close to purchasing a 65" Panasonic plasma tv but wanted to see what you all thought would be the best choice:

$1699 ST60 (floor model w/ 2700 hrs)

$2000 VT60 (floor model w/ 3400 hrs)

$2450 VT60 (NEW)

$2500 ZT60 (floor model w/ 2900 hrs)

Thanks in advance :)

7.0 HT Setup:

Reply Community News & Polls

Tags
Pioneer Elite Sc 55 Sc55 9 1 Channel 3d Ready A V Receiver , Sony , Lg , Samsung , Sharp , Toshiba , Panasonic , Vizio , Roku , Google Chromecast Hdmi Streaming Media Player , Apple Tv Md199ll A , Samsung Pn64f8500 64 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Lcd Hdtv
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page