Review Your Game Console, Win an Amazon Shopping Spree! - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 111 Old 02-11-2014, 02:50 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Any time I tell my true opinions of my consoles I own, I get banned from threads as if it's trolling so I guess I can't review anything. I've had a ton of equipment purchases lately which turned out to be disasters, such as the gaming console and the oppo 103D and people get mad if I mention my experiences with them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 111 Old 02-11-2014, 02:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
I did my review, I hope people like it.

http://www.avsforum.com/products/sega-genesis-1-original-model-console-system/reviews/4699

I come from a technical background with the system, and have even coded some simple ROMs for it, so I know quite a bit of it's capabilities and weaknesses. I am biased, so I tried to be fair and mention it's weak points too.

I can certify that all imagery and audio clips in the review are my own.
post #33 of 111 Old 02-11-2014, 03:09 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11

System specs on the new consoles really not anything to write home about.  Since most games are cross platform now, and PC versions have near universal support for x-input controllers, my PC is effectively my game console (Win8 hex core 16GB DDR3 , GTX770-4GB VRAM, Samsung 840 SSD,.HL67A750, Harman Kardon HTR + B&W 7.1 setup)...Can I review that?  (Aside from not being crazy about Win8's GUI, I love-love-love it!).  Boots in 8 seconds, Assassin's Creed 4 borders on photo-realism + one quick ALT-TAB and I'm seamlessly using a REAL WEB BROWSER with KB+M.  RTS/SIM games that lend themselves to KB+M...I have that option!   Oh, and many PC game versions support modding (3rd party bugfixes, graphics upgrades, gameplay add-ons).  Console licensing has traditionally locked out modding, and likely forever will.

I hadn't even powered up the 360 in nearly a year, and recently loaned it to friends-quite likely a "permanent loan" LOL.  I don't feel the need to spend $400+ on hardware that's technically inferior to what I'm using, and to date I have had no interest in motion control. 

The Wii-U's touchscreen controller looks to have revolutionary potential, but without universal cross platform adoption (of a touch enabled display on the controller) game developers aren't likely to utilize it to any real potential.

Chris5028 likes this.
post #34 of 111 Old 02-11-2014, 03:10 PM

Liked: 12
post #35 of 111 Old 02-11-2014, 04:44 PM

post #36 of 111 Old 02-11-2014, 06:07 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
post #37 of 111 Old 02-11-2014, 09:22 PM

post #38 of 111 Old 02-12-2014, 01:06 AM

Liked: 16
Suppose I will throw a review of the Xbox One in as well. I'll keep adding to it over time, I keep discovering new things with my Xbox!
post #39 of 111 Old 02-12-2014, 05:01 PM

Liked: 26

First review I have ever actually written.  Tried to be objective and fair.  Would appreciate some feedback as well.  

http://www.avsforum.com/products/playstation-4-console/reviews/4714

LieutenantDan67 likes this.
post #40 of 111 Old 02-12-2014, 07:35 PM
HPQ
Advanced Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 60
My PS4 review is here. smile.gif

http://www.avsforum.com/products/playstation-4-console/reviews/4715

enjoy! smile.gif

Samsung UN75F8000 LED TV, NAD T-777 (7.2 Receiver), Oppo 103, Sony PS4, Panamax MR-5100, 7 Paradigm Reference series 8" in ceiling speakers (AMS-150R) - 30 degree tilting speakers, 2 Paradigm SE Sub, universal remote MX-450, universal advanced RF base station MRF-3501.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #41 of 111 Old 02-12-2014, 09:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked: 310

Here's my review of the Xbox One: http://www.avsforum.com/products/xbox-one-console-standard-edition/reviews/4716 

I hope it's helpful to someone!

-Matt

The Build:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| The System:
| The Video Series:

Social:
|
|
|
|
post #42 of 111 Old 02-12-2014, 11:02 PM

Liked: 20
I have a PS3 that is mainly used as a blue ray player and music server. The streaming aspect is good for Netflix and other sites. It just depends on the speed of the connection. Picture quality and sound are top notch as I use the audio out with an optical cable with a setting of lpcm. As a stereo only system it provides a good quality that rivals stand alone CD players. With the advent of blue ray audio, I am extremely interested in purchasing some titles for an extended listening. I really like the storage capability for music, so you can create genres and pick one for the mood one is in. I'm actually replacing my vinyl. Sure vinyl still sounds great but as I am having less time to fiddle with it, the PS3 makes for an easy way to have quality sound. Of course some vinyl will never be on media, like my Flash Gordon meets the Mole People, but that is a small caveat for an easy way to get good sound at a budget price.

Klipsch so much it Hz
post #43 of 111 Old 02-13-2014, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PENDRAG0ON View Post

Happens every review contest. tongue.gif

Really? Wow.

I wonder how bummed they are going to be when they realize they aren't entered because they didn't read the "To enter, all you have to do is", part.

I guess there is plenty of time to get it right though. Hope they do. 

post #44 of 111 Old 02-13-2014, 07:30 AM

post #45 of 111 Old 02-13-2014, 02:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 24
I have had every console : Nes, SNES, Genesis, Turbografx, Xbox, Xbox 360, PS2 Ps3 Ps4 and now Xbox one. They all don't compared to a PC hooked up to the TV with steam!

Steam!
post #46 of 111 Old 02-13-2014, 06:48 PM

Liked: 10
I purchased the Xbox One Day One. It was very easy to set up and had no problems. I purchased the X1 because of the Microsoft only titles. Namely, Titanfall, Halo and Gears of War. Now there MANY growing pains with this console that I and many are unhappy with. The Xbox One has struggled to show games at the next gen benchmark of 1080P / 60fps whereas the PS4 has. Titanfall is said to be running at the benchmark but they rely on MS's Azure cloud for Ai, so other developers who don't may not have a easy time getting there. This purchase is strictly for gaming and I have no care to pass my Panasonic Z1 through this thing, nor do I care to be sold the Kinect that is still in the box. Another bothersome disappointment is the proprietary chat port on the X1 controller ( no 2.5mm), and the absence of DD 5.1 at launch. My Astro A40 headphones are of no use to me at this point in time. I have found/herd that the new port is for better Skype chat , but no DD5.1? I am confident that MS didn't bungle the X1, hell, they spent 100 million on just the redesign of just the controller! MS has been slow to get out the needed patches, but in the future we will all be happy with our next gen system!CREATOR: gd-jpeg v1.0 (using IJG JPEG v80), quality = 75
post #47 of 111 Old 02-13-2014, 07:25 PM

post #48 of 111 Old 02-14-2014, 12:14 AM

post #49 of 111 Old 02-14-2014, 03:36 PM

Xbox 360 - good if you like paying more for services you already pay for

Pros - use to be a good media center extender

Cons- After about 5 years of working as a media center extender, the feature likes to disconnect from the network and restart for no reason; having to pay for Xbox live to use virtually everything else.

I originally bought the Xbox 360 for its media center extender capabilities to get live (and to a lesser extent, recorded) TV to my bed room that didn't have a TV outlet. When the media center extender feature worked, it worked fine. And when my ISP allowed me to access to ESPN, it was worth paying for Xbox Live even though that was pretty much that only reason I paid for the service. Then once I lost access to ESPN, I decided to stop renewing Xbox live; that was a nightmare. Even though I went into the Xbox live to turn off automatic renewal, Microsoft renewed the service...twice! The first time was after I added a single month, to see if anything was added to make the service worth paying for, so it only renewed for another month. Luckily the second time Microsoft tried to charge me for its useless service (despite having turned off automatic renewal) I had removed my current credit card, leaving only an expired card on file that I left on file because I had notice Microsoft doesn't let you remove all cards from your account. I notice that because when the card expired, I tried to remove it before putting in the new one, but it wouldn't let me remove it. So I thought maybe I should leave the expired one on just in case Microsoft tried to charge me for another month of service...which it tried to do, but didn't have a vaild charge. I can not recommend this product, I give it a zero. I don't care out of how many, out of 10 or infinity, it's still getting a zero.

Garst
post #50 of 111 Old 02-14-2014, 04:39 PM
AVS Special Member

No one reads rules these days. frown.gif
post #51 of 111 Old 02-14-2014, 04:53 PM

Here's my review. Just joined today. First review.  Hope its helpful to some people!

http://www.avsforum.com/products/playstation-4-console/reviews/4724

post #52 of 111 Old 02-15-2014, 10:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
My unnecessarily long review of the original, the daddy, the 60GB PS3.

http://www.avsforum.com/products/sony-playstation-3-60-gb/reviews/4726
post #53 of 111 Old 02-15-2014, 12:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 44
post #54 of 111 Old 02-16-2014, 10:22 AM

Here is my rather lengthy and dry review of the Xbox One! I'm new to this review stuff, so be gentle! But would live constructive criticism. I've been meaning do do a good review of the console for some time now, as well as possible support and help. I'll add pictures and more details once I can, but for now, it is what it is. Hope at least someone finds it useful:

http://www.avsforum.com/products/xbox-one-console-day-one-edition/reviews/4745
post #55 of 111 Old 02-18-2014, 07:47 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
post #56 of 111 Old 02-18-2014, 02:11 PM
AVS Special Member

I received a private message that I didn't rate the sub categories, like hookup, audio, video, etc. I did review them though, so I am confused. I responded in the morning but heard nothing back. Can you elaborate please? Thanks.
post #57 of 111 Old 02-18-2014, 02:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakemon View Post

I received a private message that I didn't rate the sub categories, like hookup, audio, video, etc. I did review them though, so I am confused. I responded in the morning but heard nothing back. Can you elaborate please? Thanks.

It is my understanding that there is a bug in the system and we are not required to review those categories as they're not available for rating.

post #58 of 111 Old 02-18-2014, 03:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpalmieri1203 View Post

It is my understanding that there is a big in the system and we are not required to review those categories as they're not available for rating.

Hmm, it's the OP Scott Wilkinson that PM'ed me though. I don't think he'd include the bug.

I don't want to be disqualified in error because I wasn't able to rate those parts. I think I wrote it out good.

This was my review: http://www.avsforum.com/products/sega-genesis-1-original-model-console-system/reviews/4699

I at least I covered all the bases required. I made sure to include all subcategories.
post #59 of 111 Old 02-18-2014, 04:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakemon View Post

Hmm, it's the OP Scott Wilkinson that PM'ed me though. I don't think he'd include the bug.

I don't want to be disqualified in error because I wasn't able to rate those parts. I think I wrote it out good.

This was my review: http://www.avsforum.com/products/sega-genesis-1-original-model-console-system/reviews/4699

I at least I covered all the bases required. I made sure to include all subcategories.

It was Scott that PMED me this was indeed the case.

post #60 of 111 Old 02-18-2014, 05:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 244 Post(s)
Liked: 966

My apologies for any confusion regarding the "review details" in these reviews and the PMs I sent out last night. Here's what happened: As I was going over the reviews for this contest, I noticed that most of them had no review details (ratings for things like features, value, video quality, etc. in green bar graphs), though a couple of the reviews did have these ratings. So I sent PMs to all entrants that didn't have these ratings, asking them to add the ratings so their review could be eligible for the contest; according to the rules set forth in the OP, reviews must have these ratings to be eligible to win the contest.

I got one reply right away that said he had added the ratings, but when I looked at his review, it still didn't have them. So I started a new review so I could take a screen shot and show him where to enter the ratings, but I found that there were no such ratings to be entered, only date of purchase and price paid. I then started a review of a TV, and the ratings fields were present in that product category. How strange, I thought...

I have since learned that game-console reviews do not, in fact, have these "review detail" ratings like other product categories. (Because the PS3 used to be classified as a Blu-ray player, a couple of reviews of that console "brought along" the ratings from that category, which is why a couple of reviews in this contest have them.) So for this contest, the reviews do not need to have these ratings to be eligible to win—there is no way to include them in this product category. All reviews of game consoles posted in the Game Console Review section within the specified time window (Feb. 11-25) with a main body of at least 100 words will be eligible to win the random drawing for an Amazon gift card.

Again, sorry for any confusion this might have caused!

rdjr74 likes this.

Scott Wilkinson
AVS Editor
Reply Community News & Polls

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page