Review Your Game Console, Win an Amazon Shopping Spree! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 111 Old 02-11-2014, 09:31 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked: 848

If you own a game console, here's your chance to tell the world how much you enjoy it—or not—and possibly win one of three Amazon gift cards.

First prize is $300

Second and third prizes are $100 each

To enter, all you have to do is post a review of your game console in the Reviews section of AVS, and then post a link to your review in this thread. (For this contest, we're looking for reviews of game consoles, not gaming PCs.) Three of the reviews will be selected at random as the winners after verifying their eligibility.

What makes a review eligible?

1) The review must be submitted between February 11 and 25, 2014, on a product within the AVS game-console category;

2) The review must contain a title, overall rating stars, review-detail ratings, pros, cons, and a minimum 100-word body;

3) The review must be new, original work and not republished, in whole or in part, from another location on AVS Forum or elsewhere on the Internet;

4) AVS Forum reserves the right to disqualify reviews of very low quality at our discretion. Be thorough and helpful to your readers, and use good punctuation, spelling, and grammar.  Also, divide your comments into several paragraphs; it's very difficult to read one long paragraph.

Never written a review on AVS Forum before? It's easy! Click here for a tutorial. To summarize, first go to the game-console product page and click on "Add Item" in the upper right. Next, enter the make and model number of your console into the search box, then click on the product in the resulting list. Finally, click on "Write a Review" in the upper right of that product's page, and input your review. It doesn't matter if someone else has already reviewed the same console; we love multiple perspectives!

The most important things to cover in the main body are:

1) Features—What's the maximum resolution and frame rate the console can handle? Can it play Blu-rays and other discs? Can it stream online content? Does it have motion-sensing technology? Which features are useful and which are not?

2) Setup—Is the console easy or difficult to set up? Tell us about the system you're using to see and hear the games. Projector or flat panel? Speakers or headphones? Surround or 2-channel?

3) User Interface—Is the controller well designed? What about the unit's menu system? Are they easy or difficult to use?

4) Performance—How quickly do games start up? How sharp are the graphics? How immersive is the sound? Is there any performance lag? How is the experience when playing others online? How good is Blu-ray and streaming playback? Cite examples from games you've played and content you've watched or listened to.

So fire up your game console and take a critical look, then submit your review and post a link to it in this thread for a chance to win a shopping spree on Amazon!

For complete contest terms and conditions, click here.

Like AVS Forum on Facebook

Follow AVS Forum on Twitter

+1 AVS Forum on Google+

Scott Wilkinson
AVS Editor
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 111 Old 02-11-2014, 10:38 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Sounds great, here is my review of the Xbox One I did last month.

http://www.avsforum.com/products/xbox-one-console-day-one-edition/reviews/4664

post #3 of 111 Old 02-11-2014, 11:06 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Here is my review.

PS4 > Wii U > Xbox one
freemeat and JulianPope like this.
post #4 of 111 Old 02-11-2014, 11:07 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exist_To_Resist View Post

Sounds great, here is my review of the Xbox One I did last month.

http://www.avsforum.com/products/xbox-one-console-day-one-edition/reviews/4664

It's not illegible if you did it last month.

post #5 of 111 Old 02-11-2014, 11:20 AM

Liked: 10
"The all in one Xbox"

I currently have an Xbox one hooked up to my entertainment center. As of right now I LOVE it! I personally love that the console is an all in one hub that works with my cable, Internet, computer and tablets and it also plays y favorite game series. The console itself is simple yet elegant in its looks, it really belongs with my entertainment center. It is compatible with Bluray, DVD various streaming services and live tv. It really took over as my machine of choice, formerly it was my Xbox 360.

Of the new improvements to the console and its accessories, my favorite is the controller. the kinect is a fun little add on peripheral but its the controller im in love with. The controller is my favorite because of all of the little improvements Microsolf has added such as no screw holes sounds like its trivial but it truly makes the handling feel more smooth. The thumb sticks are somehow even more accurate than my Xbox 360 controllers which at the time I thought were the best. And those impact rumble motors in the triggers add that little extra pop in presentation in games.

The games line up as of right now are unmatched in my opinion with Ryse, Forza 5 and Dead Rising 3 leading the way on exclusives, And all the multiplatform games are here. I currently own Dead Rising 3, Forza 5, Ryse, COD ghost, BF4 And NBA 214. All of them have incredible graphic fidelity and are fun to play with Ryse and NBA 2k14 being the eye candy followed by Forza 5.

Overall I'd say I'm very satisfied with my purchase and would recommend this console to everyone. My only complaints right now are alittle nit-picky, but the install times are much longer compared to my PS4, and the Ram may be an issue later on in the consoles life cycle, but I'm sure with some optimization and learning of the architecture, the experience will evolve. I am planning to purchase the PS4 and the Wii U in the near future to complete my collection as I am a hard core gamer and collector.

4 out of 5 stars
post #6 of 111 Old 02-11-2014, 11:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 557
Any limits on how old the consoles can be? I would think the NES would be out but what of the PS3 or Wii? Handhelds like the Vita or 3DS? Is the limited to "next gen" only?

I'll get started on my Wii U and PS4 reviews either way.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
Include your AVS username in the friend request.
post #7 of 111 Old 02-11-2014, 11:33 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I can whip up a GLOWING Sega Dreamcast review if it's eligible, haha.
post #8 of 111 Old 02-11-2014, 11:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
I have a PS3, PS4, Xbox 360, Xbox One, WiiU and Wii (and a Vita and 3ds).

Overall I'd say I'm happiest with the PS4 - I also love the Vita integration.

So far the Xbox One has mostly been a bust and an exercise in frustration for me - the home theater function is a pain in that there's no hdmi passthru when it's turned off - so that alone makes it a no-go in my setup as my wife won't be bothered to use it. She's used to my Harmony One and adding in the Xbox One as a requirement to watch TV just won't work. The Kinect with the One is a huge pain so far - for example in Lego Marvel Superheroes - if my boys are playing and they hand me a controller to help one of them - the Kinect switches the user to me - then it can't switch back when I hand the controller back - then it gets stuck in an infinite "who do you want to sign in as" loop and won't work until you turn everything off and start over (losing any unsaved progress in the process).

The PS4 just worked out of the box - setup was quick and easy while the Xbox One was lengthy and annoying. Neither console is anything but a gaming hub for me - so I can't comment on the streaming/Blu-ray capabilities as I have a dedicated Blu-ray player for movies and use my Samsung F8000 for streaming.

I still play the WiiU, PS3 and Xbox 360 as that's where most of the games are but between the PS4 and One I'll take the PS4 every day - at least until there are some tweaks to each of them.

I'm sure they'll both evolve over time like the Xbox 360 and PS3 did - so my current opinion may change over time.
freemeat likes this.

~Bill
post #9 of 111 Old 02-11-2014, 11:49 AM

I've tried all consoles, and not good at any, but my son rocks them all, however, he feels, none are adequate anymore, they are all outdated 2 him, he says he goes online, etc. he really needs a PS4 now, we have all but that, the xbox, and wii, ps3, handhelds, etc, are all good just not up to his liking, he needs more power, whatever that means?

post #10 of 111 Old 02-11-2014, 11:53 AM

Liked: 12
http://www.avsforum.com/products/playstation-3-160gb-system/reviews/4679
post #11 of 111 Old 02-11-2014, 11:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 542
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katina62515 View Post

I've tried all consoles, and not good at any, but my son rocks them all, however, he feels, none are adequate anymore, they are all outdated 2 him, he says he goes online, etc. he really needs a PS4 now, we have all but that, the xbox, and wii, ps3, handhelds, etc, are all good just not up to his liking, he needs more power, whatever that means?

Well if he wants the most powerful console it is an easy choice, have him work towards earning a PS4. Or if he wants to go beyond consoles he can get a PC. He might be used to certain studios software which each console and PC have exclusives.

http://www.ign.com/wikis/xbox-one/PS4_vs._Xbox_One_Native_Resolutions_and_Framerates
post #12 of 111 Old 02-11-2014, 11:57 AM

Liked: 14
Xbox 360 20GB edition reviewed as a media device right here!
http://www.avsforum.com/products/xbox-360-pro-20-gb/reviews/4682

Spoiler alert -- it's not a very good media device.
yeetboy likes this.
post #13 of 111 Old 02-11-2014, 11:58 AM

post #14 of 111 Old 02-11-2014, 12:07 PM

We have had our PS3 since it came out 80GB drive upgraded to a 320GB drive (which was super easy to replace) we have replaced the blu ray drive one time. Other than that it has been rock solid as a gaming console and entertainment device. We have have played countless hours of Rock Band 1 2 and 3 Beatles Rockband Blitz and Green Day Rockband we have driven thousands of miles racing with GT5 in some of the worlds baddest cars we have driven sideways with the best in Ridge Racer 7 and we have killed tons of bad guys in a cinematic experience playing Heavenly Sword...

We havent moved to the PS4 because our PS3 still works with all the games we own and love and the new PS4 is a tad too spendy right now and the games out are not yet making use of the full capabilities of the PS4 so we will quietly bide our time...

We have an xBox 360 Elite but the interface sucks so bad add in the fact you have to have a gold membership to watch Netflix or get online So it just sits there gathering dust and I see no reason to upgrade to a xbox boned. Yeah we will stick with this lovely PS3 til the price comes down or we win this contest AVS FOrums ROCK!!!!!

Why Leash your imagination in the first place?
post #15 of 111 Old 02-11-2014, 12:34 PM

post #16 of 111 Old 02-11-2014, 12:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 557
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viche View Post

Guys...the man did say:
"post a review of your game console in the Reviews section of AVS, and then post a link to your review in this thread"

So no use posting your review text here

Happens every review contest. tongue.gif
Channel 2012 likes this.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
Include your AVS username in the friend request.
post #17 of 111 Old 02-11-2014, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justinicus View Post

Xbox 360 20GB edition reviewed as a media device right here!
http://www.avsforum.com/products/xbox-360-pro-20-gb/reviews/4682

Spoiler alert -- it's not a very good media device.

This literally made me laugh out loud (I refuse to LOL).

post #18 of 111 Old 02-11-2014, 01:05 PM

Please find my review of the PlayStation 4 here http://www.avsforum.com/products/playstation-4-console/reviews/4688

thanks for reading
post #19 of 111 Old 02-11-2014, 01:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by PENDRAG0ON View Post

Happens every review contest. tongue.gif

Yeah, I posted that and then deleted it, and gave this for a reason:

"pointless"

smile.gif
post #20 of 111 Old 02-11-2014, 01:08 PM

Liked: 13

My write-up on the PS4 can be found here.

http://www.avsforum.com/products/playstation-4-console/reviews/4686

post #21 of 111 Old 02-11-2014, 01:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 188
http://www.avsforum.com/products/sony-playstation-3-40gb-w-bonus-spiderman-3-blu-ray/reviews/4687

So run right out and buy your very own 2007 PS3 40GB with free Spiderman 3 Blu-ray! You know you want to!

Wide Awake

on the Edge

of the World

post #22 of 111 Old 02-11-2014, 01:15 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
post #23 of 111 Old 02-11-2014, 01:52 PM

post #24 of 111 Old 02-11-2014, 01:54 PM

post #25 of 111 Old 02-11-2014, 02:17 PM

post #26 of 111 Old 02-11-2014, 02:17 PM

Hi,

Here's my first post ever and a link to the review I just did for the Wii U. I was genuinely surprised as to how much I liked that system after picking one up.

http://www.avsforum.com/users/8339939/reviews
post #27 of 111 Old 02-11-2014, 02:18 PM

Here is my link

http://www.avsforum.com/products/xbox-one-console-standard-edition/reviews/4693

Xbox One is great, but will be a ton better next year. 

post #28 of 111 Old 02-11-2014, 02:20 PM

I have had both of the next gen consoles. I was a Sony guy up until recently. I started off with the original Playstation so of course I got the PS2 when it came out. I never got an Xbox. So I stayed with Sony when the PS3 came out. Over the years I grew to absolutely despise Sony as a company but since I already had the PS3 I was pretty sure I was going to get a PS4. I was leaning towards getting an Xbox 1 because everyone that games at my work has an Xbox. But when Microsoft announced the whole DRM fiasco and not being able to share games I immediately swore off the Xbox. One of the main reasons I bought the PS4 was because I was looking forward to playing Battlefield 4 on it.

Playstation 4 - 3 stars
Pros
$100 cheaper than Xbox 1
Controller - I much prefer the PS4 controller to the Xbox controller but that just may be because I'm not used to the Xbox controller.

Cons
Won't play 3D BD's
Doesn't play CD's
Doesn't play MP3's
Can't put MP3's on the hard drive
Can't work with a universal remote

Xbox 1 - 3.5 stars
Pros
TV through Xbox - This actually works pretty well for me as I often want to go back and forth between video games and TV and turning
the PS4 on and off is a pain.
Can be controlled with a universal remote.
Kinect

Cons
Won't play 3D BD's
Can't put MP3's on the hard drive
Can't turn rumble off on the controller at the system level
Kinect
Xbox live doesn't really get you anything for your money other than being able to play online. At least the PSN gets you some free games.

I listed the Kinect as both a pro and a con of the Xbox because when it works it's pretty cool but it only seems to work for me about 70% of the time. The only game I have played that is on both systems is Battlefield 4 and the experiences were pretty much the same. I didn't notice any real graphics or performance difference between the 2. The Xbox version does seem to crash a little more often for me than the PS4 version did though.

After using the PS4 for a couple of weeks I ended up returning it and getting the Xbox 1. So far I like the Xbox a little better, not much but a little. I think both systems aren't ready for prime-time yet. But as they are right now I think the Xbox is slightly better. I still don't like the controller and there are a few things I miss about the PS4. I will probably get another PS4 in the future but the lack of 3D BD and CD support was ridiculous to me. Right now the PS3 is superior to either of them as a media player. I thought both of the BD player interfaces on the Xbox and PS4 were clunky.

Ford Mustangs and the San Diego Chargers. What else is there?
post #29 of 111 Old 02-11-2014, 02:33 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Since I could not use my Xbox One review here is a Wii U Deluxe review.

http://www.avsforum.com/products/nintendo-wii-u-game-console-32-gb-flash/reviews/4696

post #30 of 111 Old 02-11-2014, 02:35 PM

Liked: 16
Here is my review:
http://www.avsforum.com/products/xbox-one-console-standard-edition/reviews/4698

Panasonic 60ZT60
Onkyo TX-NR818
OPPO BDP-103
KEF Fivetwo Series Model 11
SVS PC12 Plus