Is the Merger of Comcast and Time Warner a Good or Bad Thing? - Page 4 - AVS Forum
View Poll Results: Is the Merger of Comcast and Time Warner a Good or Bad Thing?
It's a good thing for consumers 8 2.50%
It's a bad thing for consumers 281 87.81%
It won't make any difference for consumers 31 9.69%
Voters: 320. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 113 Old 02-19-2014, 09:07 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11

Im guessing its bad for consumers, but wouldn't know. I haven't had cable for about 7yrs. I don't even watch local TV (in fact no one in my house does) We use Netflix, Hulu, Youtube, and watch blurays. basically anything online streaming.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 113 Old 02-19-2014, 10:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 33
As an IT guy, I can say that we have comcast coax connections in most our offices as well as enterprise grade fiber and point to point connections. Comcast has been great. Comcast a few months ago just dropped its business class 20/100 coax price from $350 a month to $200 and its the real deal with great speeds. the fiber is amazing, 100% up time over the past 2 years. But now I'm proud to say that our city is on Googles list of 9 for possible gigabit fiber... Things are looking good!
imagic likes this.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic" -Arthur C. Clarke
post #93 of 113 Old 02-19-2014, 10:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: North of Mexico, South of Oregon, Not as far east as Vegas
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by BAMABLUHD View Post

Often, I think people rely too much on a perceived knowledge of politics (really don't know anything) and cast what they think they know onto the business world. The two couldn't be more different in terms of for what reason they operate and towards what goals. Don't let your political views confuse or cloud your understanding or lack thereof of business. Business has no political party; they buy everyone and lobby whoever is in power at the moment. In other words they are objective. Unfortunately, voters do so emotionally and usually make bad decisions based on frivolous issues and arguments that they can't control or even hope to influence anyway.

Often, the public thinks that since a company makes a widget, and then sales that widget to them, that the company sees the public as the customer. In reality, once a corporation becomes "public" (sells stock and shares on an exchange "Wall Street") the company's customers are the investors who own the shares. The widgets, and those in the general populace who purchase them are just an end to a mean = profits for the shareholders.

Barrelbelly is telling you correctly. He's trying to educate this forum on the unseen hand, with a great crash course in market and consumer economics.

Big business is not your friend tenthplanet, and it never will be. Big business works so well, it has obviously manipulated you into thinking it's good for you. Don't feel bad, thats what they work hard and spend lots of $$ to do. For instance, do you really think ADM and Monsanto make the best farmed food for for you? Or does farmer John, who lives the next county over, has farmed for 4 generations, and still uses the old tried and true methods? I think they now call it "Organic".

Exportation of jobs is only possible and profitable with economies of scale. No small business can achieve such a phenomenon. Think car production and large scale manufacturing.

As for cell phone service, Data is the future and mostly all that matters today. Actual call volume has sharply decreased in each of the past 5 years. Business calls still happen, so I will agree with you on call quality. However, the future investment will continue to be on the data side (LTE).
It would see liberal economic theory is running rampant here, the real world doesn't always follow those rules. Big business equals a pay check for many. And profit for share holders. Be a share holder....

"Bring out yer dead!".."Wait I'm not dead yet!"..(Sound Austrian here) "WRONG !!" (You know what happens next..)
post #94 of 113 Old 02-20-2014, 07:34 AM

Liked: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnygee88 View Post

Im guessing its bad for consumers, but wouldn't know. I haven't had cable for about 7yrs. I don't even watch local TV (in fact no one in my house does) We use Netflix, Hulu, Youtube, and watch blurays. basically anything online streaming.
This merger isn't a "cable TV" issue. What's more important is the impact on Broadband.

If Comcast is in the cable TV business and it's high margins, and they are the broadband partner in town, how long do you think they are going to let you keep enjoying unlimited streams of Netflix, Hulu, and Youtube without a premium price structure? Short answer is not for long.

Pay attention man, cable cutters are the most at risk with this deal.
headlesschickens likes this.
post #95 of 113 Old 02-20-2014, 07:38 AM

Liked: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenthplanet View Post

It would see liberal economic theory is running rampant here, the real world doesn't always follow those rules. Big business equals a pay check for many. And profit for share holders. Be a share holder....
From what has obviously been a display of my strong understanding of micro and macro economics, corporate enterprise, and business strategy, would it not be obvious that I use this knowledge as an investor?

Of course I am a share holder of many companies, not many retail firms though. I'm more heavy on the Index Fund side, but thank you. I'm also very far from a liberal. Just a typical Southern guy. However, I am objective with my politics just as I am with my investments. Been pretty happy with both.
barrelbelly likes this.
post #96 of 113 Old 02-20-2014, 12:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenthplanet View Post

Here we go with the very labels and distractions mentioned earlier. I for one don't define myself by labels like this. Like "Bama" I open my brain up to all reasonable and objective possibilities. Especially as it pertains to money and control. I try hard not to allow myself to become brainwashed by media and peer propaganda, into any perspective outside of the only nationally agreed upon one that matters to me...The US Constitution. Liberal...Conservative...moderate...etc...are nothing but propaganda driven memes IMO that strong men use to control weak minded people with. I suppose they have some useful purpose to many. But I've generally found that most people use them just to hide their prejudices behind. Everyone I know and enjoy being around is a balance of all of them. I am just a good old American boy. Born on a farm in Alabama...raised & educated in the Midwest...and living happily in the Northeast. I've been around the world a few times. I've worked for and serviced a lot of Fortune 500 corporations. And for a lot of people you read about...on very important things. And I have started, bought and sold companies of my own. I know a little bit about this stuff I'm talking about.

Here is something I'll share that may surprise you. In a former corporate life (not government) I worked for a CEO named Donald Rumsfeld & COO John Robson. Two rock ribbed Republicans. Don was briefly called on assignment by VP, GHW Bush to lead a NSC crises team, to free 2 American pilots, who had been shot down in the Middle East. And were being held prisoner in Lebanon. Long after he successfully negotiated their release and returned to his corporate duty...I was in a tech meeting with him and others. I asked him why and how he selected Jesse Jackson (an open and avowed Democrat "liberal") to be such a key member of that crisis team. His response was a revelation to me. He simply said at that level of the stage there is no such thing as Democrats and Republicans. "Those things are for the masses to consume and organize around".

In my life's journey, I've found that all people are pretty much the same. From the most advanced societies to the most primitive...They all want pretty much the same things. And right up there at the top of the chart...is the desire to be treated fairly and with respect. And not be cheated and misled by those they give or allow to have power and authority over them. And in a greater sense...that is what we are talking about here. Not goofy political labels. Your journey may have taught you something else. And I don't judge or slander it in any way.

This merger and discussion is about money...power...corruption...and greed IMO. I don't care where the blame lies. Because I know it lives under every political tent. tenthplanet...whatever your ideology of choice is...I guarantee that at a micro or macro level, it is just as corrupt as the one you despise. You just choose to see it the only way you want to comprehend it. One of the things I have concluded, by observing, leading and impacting people's lives in Businesses of all types over 40 years is this. Greed is a learned behavior. And it is addictive. And it is a shape shifter. It can reside in the rich and poor alike. But it is an addiction with an unreachable end game. So in the end it just destroys what it consumes. Just to feed the addiction itself. Governmental control of it and other forces though the votes of everyday people is one of the most brilliant constructs in the foundation of our nation IMO. It is sheer genius that the founders established a Union that was so evolutionary in nature, that it didn't seek to destroy traits like rampant greed...rampant goodness...or even freedom versus slavery. It established a union that gave people an instrument (flexible Government structure) that is always empowered to control all of those forces based on its consensus about its future. We're at such a historic stage again. And that is sorta what this discussion has been about. This merger is but a small piece of an enormous debate America is having about its future.

Let us please stay focused on that bigger conversation instead of drifting into media driven memes about each other.
post #97 of 113 Old 02-20-2014, 12:49 PM

Liked: 17
All of the political mumbo jumbo aside, for me this boils down to an exchange of money for something I need (work) and want (work/pleasure). Up until a few months ago, I would say my Comcast service was fairly consistent, outages were rare, and response to calls was satisfactory. What I didn't like was my rate, which also increased consistently even though there was zero inflation. I wasn't getting more features, better service, higher speeds, just a bigger bill. I assumed I was paying for the promotions offered to new customers and their their ability to show bottom-line growth (making up for the cord cutters). Those things don't sit well with me, but if I'm getting a satisfactory product, I can live with it, and if my paying money helps them to provide good service, then IMO it's money well spent. However, over the last few months, service has gotten poor, outages frequent, and service calls answered by unknowledgeable service people. I think I fair better than other areas from what I read and hear, where service is consistently bad. Companies who provide poor service don't get better when they get larger. That's just the way it is. So we can speculate with confidence that Comcast is not going to improve their service if they grow. I think we can assume also that their rates are going to keep increasing, and as they lose customers, increase them more for the loyal and lazy.

I for one intend to switch phone and TV to something else in the future, maybe waiting first to see how this shakes out, although at this point I'm not sure to what yet. For internet, I need it for my business (cable is still my best option), so I'll continue to call and give them grief when I'm not satisfied. They don't like when I call, because through my job I know enough about technology to know when they're spewing BS, and I tell them so. If people are dissatisfied, do something about it. Cut the cord. Switch to something else. If not, scream and complain, you're paying money, you have a right to to be satisfied. Big companies only try to change when you hit them on the bottom line, because that's all that matters to them.
mhobart likes this.
post #98 of 113 Old 02-20-2014, 05:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
I have complained to my state legislator and our Senator in Washington for some time about Comcast ( with little of no effort ), with their questionable pricing increases and them being the only option in my local town, were us consumers are suppose to be given a choice for television ( like Time Warner, or Verizon Fios ) where my state is not doing their part to allow a monopoly, I even called Verizon for Fios, and they said they are not allowed to have service in certain states ( why is that? )

( I live in an area with lots of trees, so no satellite views are available for me, so I'm just stuck unless I move to have alternate options )

What I think we all need to be thinking about is:
Comcast has been on a mission to take over the tv broadcast / distribution in the united states, no one ever thought they could buy NBC universal, but that went with-out an issue, now after this buy-out of Time Warner happens, Comcast will make their move to eliminate free over-the-air television, and even any low cost options for over the internet tv, as they will control the costs of just having internet. IMO, this merger is Seriously bad for the consumer, and even more worse for the tv broadcast business......
Edited for being a little more positive....biggrin.gif But I do like the phrase, It's Scamtastic !!!biggrin.gif
barrelbelly likes this.
post #99 of 113 Old 02-21-2014, 06:28 PM

Liked: 10
i for one hope this purchase doesn't happen ..... less options for the consumer. will the pig flex its muscle?
post #100 of 113 Old 02-23-2014, 10:17 AM
AVS Special Member

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/02/23/opinion/sunday/the-fcc-tries-again.html?nl=todaysheadlines&emc=edit_th_20140223&_r=0

This article from Sunday's edition of the NY Times sort of answers all of what we have been talking about. And it addresses the OPs question directly. This merger could be very damaging to the public. especially when executed in context with all of the other corporate strategies to control and dominate our last bastion of freedom...the internet. Notice how all of the monopolistic interests are competing only in the forum that is rigged for them to win. Meaning the US Appeal Courts and US Supreme court. Unlike some suggests here. The FCC is actually fighting for our rights and interests. But just look at how the tidal wave of corporate money is pushing this fight out of the marketplace. And into the rigged court system. I for one am ecstatic to see that at least one government agency still has a lot of fight left in it.
BAMABLUHD and TeflonSoul like this.
post #101 of 113 Old 02-24-2014, 04:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Has anyone ever just stopped and thought about why there are only one or two hard cable (coax or fiber) going to homes today?
You can only fit so much on your standard size pole.
Power, traditional telco and cable pretty much covers the entire real estate available on a pole.
You can't really add much more without violating OSHA regulations.

Similar rules apply to buried cable and their proximity to each other.
post #102 of 113 Old 02-24-2014, 05:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 53
There may well be rules involved, but I'm not sure OSHA is the limiting factor. Yeah, you'd want things to be safe, but I'd venture it has more do with electrical code than worker safety.

Anything 'can' be done, but there's a limit to people's willingness to make it happen.

We've run up against that with the power company around here failing to properly engineer their power distribution. They've more than happy to charge for increase usage as previous 100A homes get upgraded to 200, 400A and sometimes more. Meanwhile overloading the poles and having no effective re-routing plans. And then failing to do tree maintenance. Perfect storm indeed as this ran afoul of suburban tree-hugger nonsense. Hurricane Isabel and 8 days of power outages smacked some sense into the home owners. But it also shone light on the sorry state of Pepco's setup. Now they're running new HV distribution with less wire on the poles and more modern gear. I suppose the only upside to their dragging their feet is that wore down potential citizen objections to the work necessary (busting up lawns, trees and such).

Whether the same thing will be said for Internet service is a good question. There's some wicked tradeoffs involved.
imagic likes this.
post #103 of 113 Old 02-25-2014, 09:43 AM
AVS Special Member

http://money.msn.com/business-news/article.aspx?feed=AP&date=20140223&id=17373841&ocid=ansmony11

Netflix sees the handwriting (Fix) on the wall already. And brokered the best deal they could. Consumer costs are already going up. Before this merger even happens. Bad news. Cord cutters may have to cut it completely to escape this behemoth.
post #104 of 113 Old 03-01-2014, 07:55 AM

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnygee88 View Post

Despite not having cable for seven years, if you're using Hulu Plus, you're still sending them your money. Comcast owns Hulu.
post #105 of 113 Old 03-01-2014, 07:57 AM

Liked: 18
post #106 of 113 Old 03-01-2014, 01:58 PM

Liked: 15

A nation of sheep

Owned by pigs

Ruled by wolves...

barrelbelly likes this.

AVR Marantz  SR7008

Mains Paradigm  Monitor11 S7 

Center Paradigm Studio CC-590v5

Suround Polk RM2300

Sub Rythmik FV15HP

LED Samsung UN55F8000

post #107 of 113 Old 03-02-2014, 09:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 263
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProUnion View Post

A nation of sheep
Owned by pigs
Ruled by wolves...

How true.

Listen up, studios! Just say "NO" to DNR and EE!!
post #108 of 113 Old 03-02-2014, 09:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Crass, but true again.
ProUnion likes this.

post #109 of 113 Old 03-02-2014, 05:50 PM

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Hitchman View Post

Crass, but true again.

Yep

AVR Marantz  SR7008

Mains Paradigm  Monitor11 S7 

Center Paradigm Studio CC-590v5

Suround Polk RM2300

Sub Rythmik FV15HP

LED Samsung UN55F8000

post #110 of 113 Old 03-04-2014, 12:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGigaShadow View Post

Despite not having cable for seven years, if you're using Hulu Plus, you're still sending them your money. Comcast owns Hulu.

Along with Fox and Disney.
post #111 of 113 Old 03-07-2014, 05:49 PM
AVS Special Member

The future seems to have gotten here faster than some predicted on "ala carte" pricing. This is a great development. And is the first real big shot in cutting the cord for a lot of folks IMO. Competition is a wonderful thing. And the SAT providers and content kings strike back against monopolistic tyranny!

http://news.msn.com/science-technology/the-future-of-tv-is-coming-into-focus-and-looks-pretty-great
post #112 of 113 Old 03-09-2014, 08:39 AM
AVS Special Member

That would be great if broadband wasn't $60 a month (or more) if that is all you bought.
Now add these 20-30 dolloar packages and we are back to bundled promo pricing.

What am I missing here?
we should feel better that instead of one bundled package price our money is spread across multiple companies.
I guess, but my bottom line hasn't changed much. confused.gif

But I do agree competition is good.
post #113 of 113 Old 03-09-2014, 10:12 AM
AVS Special Member

The trouble is that with a lack of competition on the ISP level and the other fact that entertainment distributors are the primary source for internet connectivity within the U.S., the prices for internet only service will continue to climb.

You may be able to be more selective with which shows and networks you wish to watch, but the price to get them will be enormous.

As they mention in that brief MSN article, the American internet infrastructure isn't exactly in a position to become the communication backbone of the nation. It's not totally reliable and speeds and bandwidth are a big factor.

Reply Community News & Polls

Tags
Polls

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page