Value Electronics 10th Annual Display Shoot-Out - Updated 5/29/2014 - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #91 of 608 Old 02-27-2014, 10:05 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Bill Ball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Alamo, CA
Posts: 1,268
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Reading Robert's very thorough reply to Mark's question, the one last thing I noticed is that Robert will delay the shootout but only for what sounds like a few weeks and only to include a few flagship products. In the case of Vizio, Robert only mentions the R series. Based on what we have been lead the expect, the R series is much further away from production than that. I was figuring we might see a P series in production by then, but even that is in serious doubt as the M series is most likely to launch in May and Robert does not appear, from my reading, to be interested in the Vizio M or P series, and at this point he's not going to wait all that long beyond May, if that long.

Mark, thanks again, for asking Robert for these details and posting them.
Bill Ball is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #92 of 608 Old 02-27-2014, 10:29 PM
AVS Special Member
 
fafrd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 3,551
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 574
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Ball View Post

Reading Robert's very thorough reply to Mark's question, the one last thing I noticed is that Robert will delay the shootout but only for what sounds like a few weeks and only to include a few flagship products. In the case of Vizio, Robert only mentions the R series. Based on what we have been lead the expect, the R series is much further away from production than that. I was figuring we might see a P series in production by then, but even that is in serious doubt as the M series is most likely to launch in May and Robert does not appear, from my reading, to be interested in the Vizio M or P series, and at this point he's not going to wait all that long beyond May, if that long.

Mark, thanks again, for asking Robert for these details and posting them.

You raise a good point, Bill.

And Mark, I absolutely agree - thanks for passing on our questions to Robert and posting his responses...

Whenever you could clarify with Robert which of the 2014 Vizio panels he expects may make it into the 2014 shootout (M and/or P and or R), that would be greatly appreciated...

-fafrd
fafrd is online now  
post #93 of 608 Old 02-28-2014, 12:55 AM
 
vinnie97's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Nunya
Posts: 11,657
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1010
I hope we don't have to be reminded how great the F8500 is two years in a row (no offense to those who love it wink.gif). I suspect the Kuro won't be brought back again this year (though I hope it will, so that's my request!), though a fully tweaked (resets/voltage tweaks applied) 500M alongside an OLED and the FALDs would make for some interesting results.
vinnie97 is offline  
post #94 of 608 Old 02-28-2014, 03:54 AM
AVS Special Member
 
ss9001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: metro Atlanta
Posts: 8,633
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked: 324
I talked to Robert several days ago. On my wish list are the following, which I'm hoping will be ready in time so he can include:

77" Sharp OLED 4K
Vizio Reference

From all the announced models, those 2 are the most interesting to me personally.

Steve
ss9001 is offline  
post #95 of 608 Old 02-28-2014, 06:57 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Ken Ross's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: N.Y.
Posts: 23,978
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1002 Post(s)
Liked: 1084
Reading these posts, I just have to feel for Robert. No matter what he does, he won't/can't please everyone. Just looking at some of the contradictory requests from the group:

* Put the best & biggest displays in the shootout regardless of price.
* Don't put any display in the shootout that's 'unaffordable'. I suspect that term has different definitions among our group depending upon disposable income and degree of 'panel lust'. wink.gif
* Throw in displays that were previously in the shootout...even if they've been there year after year.
* Don't insert any display that's previously been in the shootout.
* Throw all the displays in regardless of resolution.
* Segregate displays by tech and resolution.
* Hold out for the Vizio P series
* Proceed with the shootout regardless of what's out or not.

Robert buddy, I feel for you, I really do.

Rest assured the shootout will be a great one, as they always are. Also rest assured there will be the nitpickers and naysayers no matter how good the shootout is.

Just remember, nobody else does this and we really owe Robert a debt of gratitude. The man still has a business to run and the amount of work and preparation this takes is tremendous. smile.gif
JimP likes this.
Ken Ross is offline  
post #96 of 608 Old 02-28-2014, 08:58 AM
AVS Special Member
 
mo949's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 2,977
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 401
Mark did you ask him about being transparent again with measurement data like in 2012, didn't see a response to that part?
mo949 is offline  
post #97 of 608 Old 02-28-2014, 09:05 AM
AVS Special Member
 
mo949's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 2,977
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 401
Quote:
Originally Posted by fafrd View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post

We do discuss and demonstrate screen uniformity and off axis performance of each TV, but it's not a category we vote on.  We stick to the five main pq attributes to determine the winner, however, the voters do take into account screen uniformity and off axes performance in the overall rating.

Understand and makes sense. With the death of plasma and the emergence of LCD as the dominant flat panel technology, I believe that off-axis viewing limitations are becoming more important. For that reason, I believe that specific scores associated with off-axis viewing performance could be a valuable addition to the scoring matrix this year - please pass that on to Robert for his consideration... Uniformity is a different issue and I agree that it is best encompassed within the 'overall rating'



-fafrd

Agreed now that LCD will start being in the top tiers it should be more important to grade those - how useful is a day mode "PQ attribute" for an LCD really? Also from a uniformity stand point it would have saved the consumer a lot of grief if the 2012 Samsung 65ES8000 had had a uniformity category - some of the worst vertical banding ever witnessed; many people were returning/exchanging 3+ sets to find a 'good' one, which never materialized.
mo949 is offline  
post #98 of 608 Old 02-28-2014, 10:22 AM
AVS Special Member
 
fafrd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 3,551
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 574
Quote:
Originally Posted by mo949 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by fafrd View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post

We do discuss and demonstrate screen uniformity and off axis performance of each TV, but it's not a category we vote on.  We stick to the five main pq attributes to determine the winner, however, the voters do take into account screen uniformity and off axes performance in the overall rating.

Understand and makes sense. With the death of plasma and the emergence of LCD as the dominant flat panel technology, I believe that off-axis viewing limitations are becoming more important. For that reason, I believe that specific scores associated with off-axis viewing performance could be a valuable addition to the scoring matrix this year - please pass that on to Robert for his consideration... Uniformity is a different issue and I agree that it is best encompassed within the 'overall rating'



-fafrd

Agreed now that LCD will start being in the top tiers it should be more important to grade those - how useful is a day mode "PQ attribute" for an LCD really? Also from a uniformity stand point it would have saved the consumer a lot of grief if the 2012 Samsung 65ES8000 had had a uniformity category - some of the worst vertical banding ever witnessed; many people were returning/exchanging 3+ sets to find a 'good' one, which never materialized.

I agree that with the 'last plasma standing' being the super-bright (for a plasma biggrin.gif) Samsung F8500, the value of a specific 'day mode' is basically meaningless now. Of course there is still the whole subject of reflectivity of screen and matte versus semi-matte versus glossy, but personally, I believe it is a waste to use the shootout for opinions on that since it is a well-known characteristic that any consumer can learn about and make decisions about without needing to rely on the opinions (and efforts) of experts.

While off-angle viewing and apparent degradation of image quality from things like increased blooming when viewed off angle I see as much more important going forward.

So I guess my vote would be to replace the 'day mode' with 'off-angle viewing' starting this year...

-fafrd
fafrd is online now  
post #99 of 608 Old 02-28-2014, 10:35 AM
AVS Special Member
 
fafrd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 3,551
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 574
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post

Reading these posts, I just have to feel for Robert. No matter what he does, he won't/can't please everyone. Just looking at some of the contradictory requests from the group:

* Put the best & biggest displays in the shootout regardless of price.
* Don't put any display in the shootout that's 'unaffordable'. I suspect that term has different definitions among our group depending upon disposable income and degree of 'panel lust'. wink.gif
* Throw in displays that were previously in the shootout...even if they've been there year after year.
* Don't insert any display that's previously been in the shootout.
* Throw all the displays in regardless of resolution.
* Segregate displays by tech and resolution.
* Hold out for the Vizio P series
* Proceed with the shootout regardless of what's out or not.

Robert buddy, I feel for you, I really do.

Rest assured the shootout will be a great one, as they always are. Also rest assured there will be the nitpickers and naysayers no matter how good the shootout is.

Just remember, nobody else does this and we really owe Robert a debt of gratitude. The man still has a business to run and the amount of work and preparation this takes is tremendous. smile.gif

Absolutely agree, Ken. And this being the 'Community News & Polls' Forum, I encourage you to create a specific poll for the most substantive of these conflicting requests biggrin.gif

Of the list you have summarized above, I believe the question of resolution has already been addressed (and very effectively, I might add).

Personally, I would like to see the 'ultimate shootout' expanded from just 'the best 1080p' versus 'the best 4K' to include a few more 'best' panels selected by being the best in their specific technology class, with tech classes including plasma, OLED, FALD-LED/LCD, and edge-lit LED/LCD.

The question of 'price is no object' versus 'affordable only' is pretty central so I think I will take the initiative to start a poll on that.

And also, while I agree with you that Robert can never make everyone happy with these shootouts, I trust he has a great time doing this every year and we should all remember to not take all of this too seriously biggrin.gif

-fafrd
fafrd is online now  
post #100 of 608 Old 02-28-2014, 10:41 AM
AVS Special Member
 
fafrd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 3,551
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 574
Quote:
Originally Posted by fafrd View Post

The question of 'price is no object' versus 'affordable only' is pretty central so I think I will take the initiative to start a poll on that.

-fafrd

Well, it appears that us peons are unable to start new threads/polls in this forum (or maybe they are blocking only me biggrin.gif), so perhaps Mark could start a poll for me...

I would ask what should be the maximum MSRP of any flat panel allowed to participate in the 2014 VE Shootout:

$5000
$6500
$8000
$10,000
no limit

my own vote would be for an upper limit of $8000...

-fafrd
fafrd is online now  
post #101 of 608 Old 02-28-2014, 10:59 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Ken Ross's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: N.Y.
Posts: 23,978
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1002 Post(s)
Liked: 1084
Quote:
Originally Posted by fafrd View Post


And also, while I agree with you that Robert can never make everyone happy with these shootouts, I trust he has a great time doing this every year and we should all remember to not take all of this too seriously biggrin.gif

-fafrd

You make funny my friend, you make funny! This is AVS and everything here is taken seriously. biggrin.gif
Ken Ross is offline  
post #102 of 608 Old 02-28-2014, 11:40 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Bill Ball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Alamo, CA
Posts: 1,268
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Ken, your points are right on, of course. I had the same sense reading Robert's reply. And it was apparent he has thought all of this out and has a pretty solid set of standards that he will hold to despite all the disparate input and requests. I'm impressed he was so gracious to answer all these questions when it appeared to me he has his mind made up. So, when I read that he would only delay to the end of May and only for specific sets, only mentioning the Vizio R of the various new Vizios, I concluded, that's it, no Vizio in the shootout this year, and I hope no one bugs him further. It's hard enough to pull this all together.
Bill Ball is offline  
post #103 of 608 Old 02-28-2014, 11:45 AM
AVS Special Member
 
fafrd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 3,551
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 574
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Ball View Post

Ken, your points are right on, of course. I had the same sense reading Robert's reply. And it was apparent he has thought all of this out and has a pretty solid set of standards that he will hold to despite all the disparate input and requests. I'm impressed he was so gracious to answer all these questions when it's clear he has his mind pretty well made up. So, when I saw him say he would only delay to the end of May and only for specific sets, only mentioning the Vizio R of the various new Vizios, I figured, that's it, no Vizio in the shootout this year, and I hope no one bugs him further. It's hard enough to pull this all together.

I didn't read it that way. Since Robert indicated that he was open to accepting panel entries directly from certain vendors as long as that fact was disclosed, I read that comment to mean that the Vizio Reference Series may make it into the shootout after all, despite not reaching the market till late this year...

-fafrd
fafrd is online now  
post #104 of 608 Old 02-28-2014, 12:04 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Ken Ross's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: N.Y.
Posts: 23,978
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1002 Post(s)
Liked: 1084
Quote:
Originally Posted by fafrd View Post

I didn't read it that way. Since Robert indicated that he was open to accepting panel entries directly from certain vendors as long as that fact was disclosed, I read that comment to mean that the Vizio Reference Series may make it into the shootout after all, despite not reaching the market till late this year...

fafrd

I think I'd almost demand from Vizio the assurance that the R series will be available if included in the shootout. I'd also ask for an estimated release date.

I say that because if it does particularly well, some may decide to wait for its release. What if it's never released? What if it's not released until the summer of 2015? That would be unfair to other manufacturer's who submitted their displays in good faith and have actual product & release dates.
Ken Ross is offline  
post #105 of 608 Old 02-28-2014, 12:26 PM
AVS Special Member
 
fafrd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 3,551
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 574
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by fafrd View Post

I didn't read it that way. Since Robert indicated that he was open to accepting panel entries directly from certain vendors as long as that fact was disclosed, I read that comment to mean that the Vizio Reference Series may make it into the shootout after all, despite not reaching the market till late this year...

-fafrd

I think I'd almost demand from Vizio the assurance that the R series will be available if included in the shootout. I'd also ask for an estimated release date.

I say that because if it does particularly well, some may decide to wait for its release. What if it's never released? What if it's not released until the summer of 2015? That would be unfair to other manufacturer's who submitted their displays in good faith and have actual product & release dates.

Absolutely. If pricing and release date were not published by the time of the shootout, I agree they should refuse to include it (guess I just assumed that would be part of the groundruless :-)

I'm more worried about changes between the sample provided and the final product released, so I would assume that there should also be some assurance that the sample being provided reflects the production product in all respects as far as engineering and design. If they are ramping up production, fair to let the Reference Series in (with appropriate assurances) - if it is still a prototype that is being tweaked in any way, it should be eliminated from consideration...

-fafrd
fafrd is online now  
post #106 of 608 Old 02-28-2014, 12:33 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Bill Ball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Alamo, CA
Posts: 1,268
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by fafrd View Post

I didn't read it that way. Since Robert indicated that he was open to accepting panel entries directly from certain vendors as long as that fact was disclosed, I read that comment to mean that the Vizio Reference Series may make it into the shootout after all, despite not reaching the market till late this year...

-fafrd
He said they pick from their own floor stock and only accepted a "sample" from the manufacturer one time after months of negotiation with the manufacturer. I guess you can hold out some hope that that could happen in this case, but it sounds extremely unlikely. No one expects the R to launch before the 4th quarter. So, I thought if Robert delayed the shootout until until August that might be close enough for such a sample or that he might take a P series. He eliminated that hope. Vizio should be very interested in getting an R sample in the shootout because a large share of potential buyers for the R series probably follow the shootout results, unlike the lower quality P series.
Bill Ball is offline  
post #107 of 608 Old 02-28-2014, 12:50 PM
AVS Special Member
 
fafrd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 3,551
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 574
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Ball View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by fafrd View Post

I didn't read it that way. Since Robert indicated that he was open to accepting panel entries directly from certain vendors as long as that fact was disclosed, I read that comment to mean that the Vizio Reference Series may make it into the shootout after all, despite not reaching the market till late this year...

-fafrd
He said they pick from their own floor stock and only accepted a "sample" from the manufacturer one time after months of negotiation with the manufacturer. I guess you can hold out some hope that that could happen in this case, but it sounds extremely unlikely. No one expects the R to launch before the 4th quarter. So, I thought if Robert delayed the shootout until until August that might be close enough for such a sample or that he might take a P series. He eliminated that hope. Vizio should be very interested in getting an R sample in the shootout because a large share of potential buyers for the R series probably follow the shootout results, unlike the lower quality P series.


Here is what I read that made me think Robert would accept a 'sample' of the R Series directly from Vizio:

"I don't expect the Shootout to be delayed much, but we might not make the third week of May date. I am considering accepting samples of any of the following displays I am strongly committed to include in the Shootout and they are Vizio's new "R" series, Sony's XBR-65X950B, LG's 65" or 77" OLED and I'd love to have Samsung's 64" H7000. I am willing to accept samples from the manufacturer's first production. "

Of course, a lot rides on what 'samples from the manufacturers first production' means, but a generous reading of that to mean 'all engineering being completed and first production samples off of the production prior to full ramp-up and qualification of the production for mass-market introduction' could mean the 65" Reference Series might just make it...

Late May / early June first production pilot runs in order to have qualified volume production by the end of August and product launched in the channels by the beginning of November all makes sense based on my understanding of how these OEM manufacturing schedules go (primarily from my experience in the laptop industry).

-fafrd
fafrd is online now  
post #108 of 608 Old 02-28-2014, 01:31 PM
AVS Special Member
 
prepress's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 3,334
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post

Reading these posts, I just have to feel for Robert. No matter what he does, he won't/can't please everyone. Just looking at some of the contradictory requests from the group:

* Put the best & biggest displays in the shootout regardless of price.
* Don't put any display in the shootout that's 'unaffordable'. I suspect that term has different definitions among our group depending upon disposable income and degree of 'panel lust'. wink.gif
* Throw in displays that were previously in the shootout...even if they've been there year after year.
* Don't insert any display that's previously been in the shootout.
* Throw all the displays in regardless of resolution.
* Segregate displays by tech and resolution.
* Hold out for the Vizio P series
* Proceed with the shootout regardless of what's out or not.

Robert buddy, I feel for you, I really do.

Rest assured the shootout will be a great one, as they always are. Also rest assured there will be the nitpickers and naysayers no matter how good the shootout is.

Just remember, nobody else does this and we really owe Robert a debt of gratitude. The man still has a business to run and the amount of work and preparation this takes is tremendous. smile.gif

Good points. The one thing I think about, with the larger screen sizes apparently on tap this year, is the number of participants could be limited. There's only so much space on the wall. Hence, I guess, the 1080p only day and the 4K only day idea.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
prepress is offline  
post #109 of 608 Old 02-28-2014, 04:03 PM
 
AlaskanAVGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 165
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by fafrd View Post


Well, it appears that us peons are unable to start new threads/polls in this forum (or maybe they are blocking only me biggrin.gif), so perhaps Mark could start a poll for me...

I would ask what should be the maximum MSRP of any flat panel allowed to participate in the 2014 VE Shootout:

$5000
$6500
$8000
$10,000
no limit

my own vote would be for an upper limit of $8000...

-fafrd

 

$5000 should be the upper limit, because less than 1% spend that much on a HDTV and this is suppose to be a Shootout about the Consumer correct?

 

From there for a novelty their could be no limit, mostly just so I can laugh at the people who seriously spend $40k on a set that's a fraction better than a Flagship Plasma!

AlaskanAVGuy is offline  
post #110 of 608 Old 02-28-2014, 04:13 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Writer @ AVS
 
imagic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 5,665
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1118 Post(s)
Liked: 2271
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskanAVGuy View Post
 

 

$5000 should be the upper limit, because less than 1% spend that much on a HDTV and this is suppose to be a Shootout about the Consumer correct?

 

From there for a novelty their could be no limit, mostly just so I can laugh at the people who seriously spend $40k on a set that's a fraction better than a Flagship Plasma! 

Price limits are arbitrary and mostly limit screen sizes, plus how do you define that $5000 limit? Is it based on MSRP, street price, or the lowest price you can find? How about the fact that prices inevitably drop? I don't agree that a price limit would help.

 

A 77-inch UHD OLED is a fair bit beyond "a fraction better" than a 65-inch HD plasma. 


Find out more about Mark Henninger at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
imagic is online now  
post #111 of 608 Old 02-28-2014, 05:34 PM
 
AlaskanAVGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 165
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post
 

Price limits are arbitrary and mostly limit screen sizes, plus how do you define that $5000 limit? Is it based on MSRP, street price, or the lowest price you can find? How about the fact that prices inevitably drop? I don't agree that a price limit would help.

 

A 77-inch UHD OLED is a fair bit beyond "a fraction better" than a 65-inch HD plasma. 

 

MSRP of course and a UHD OLED its retardedly expensive will you be buying one? Only if you are single and crazy I suspect. With a price tag of $30k you can keep your UHD to yourself. If price doesn't matter then why not have a Buggatti Veyron in a comparison with a Civic? Probably because nobody can afford a Veyron... You have to be practical to stay RELEVANT.

 

It's a moot point because with a viewing distance of 10 Feet you just start to notice benefits around an 85" screen size (give or take depending on what source) before you can see a difference between 4K and 1080p.

It only looks better in the stores because you walk right up to them and look at the pixels and it's much clearer but at real viewing distances the human Eye cannot see a difference, if you say you can then you should take some tic-tacs because you obviously are susceptible to Placebo's.

 

In the REAL WORLD $5k is the ABSOLUTE upper limit even for an A/V junkie like myself who has around $15k in my Home Theater and i'm the exception. So who are we reviewing for if we go past $5K??? Doctors and Lawyers I suppose...

 

AlaskanAVGuy is offline  
post #112 of 608 Old 02-28-2014, 05:37 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Writer @ AVS
 
imagic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 5,665
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1118 Post(s)
Liked: 2271
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskanAVGuy View Post
 

 

MSRP of course and a UHD OLED its retardedly expensive will you be buying one? Only if you are single and crazy I suspect. With a price tag of $30k you can keep your UHD to yourself.

 

It's a moot point because with a viewing distance of 10 Feet you just start to notice benefits around an 85" screen size (give or take depending on what source) before you can see a difference between 4K and 1080p.

It only looks better in the stores because you walk right up to them and look at the pixels and it's much clearer but at real viewing distances the human Eye cannot see a difference, if you say you can then you should take some tic-tacs because you obviously are susceptible to Placebo's.

 

In the REAL WORLD $5k is the ABSOLUTE upper limit even for an A/V junkie like myself who has around $15k in my Home Theater and i'm the exception. So who are we reviewing for if we go past $5K??? Doctors and Lawyers I suppose...

 

 

Thank you for sharing your opinions on this topic.


Find out more about Mark Henninger at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
imagic is online now  
post #113 of 608 Old 02-28-2014, 05:46 PM
 
AlaskanAVGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 165
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 67

Yes sir,

 

Sorry if I came off harsh, I just think we need to be realistic....Otherwise we loose our Relevance.

Im a huge A/V fan and do think that it is cool too see what is out there for the future with the Super-Expensive UHD's.

But they should be in an entirely different category that's not associated with the reality of what most high-end HDTV consumers

will ever own. The rich and famous can waste their money on those sets helping to bring down the costs for everyone else.

 

Sincerely....

 

ps: I like reading your posts Mark, you get the conversations rolling and I respect your opinion.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here's another chart that shows THX & SMPTE recommended Viewing Distances for comparison.

"ISF states the the most important aspects of picture quality are (in order): 1) contrast ratio, 2) color saturation, 3) color accuracy, 4) resolution. Resolution is 4th on the list and plasma is generally superior to LCD in all of the other areas (but much more prone to reflections/glare.) So pick your display size, then measure your seating distance, and then use the charts above to figure out if you would benefit from the larger screen size."

 

AlaskanAVGuy is offline  
post #114 of 608 Old 03-01-2014, 08:18 AM
Member
 
Pioneer Insider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: New Rochelle, NY
Posts: 93
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 31

Looking forward to this year's TV Shootout. 

 

ahhhh warmer weather and my a/v hobby sounds like a good year ahead.  :)

Pioneer Insider is offline  
post #115 of 608 Old 03-01-2014, 10:08 PM
 
vinnie97's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Nunya
Posts: 11,657
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1010
The first graphic has been posted in the forums ad nauseum and only applies to static images (ignoring the nuance of motion) and thus the distance at which folks notice a difference is not set in stone but is a variability depending on the individual in question. I have yet to see 4K in person, but I have found the loudest naysayers tend to be in my camp. Because of the varying impressions I've read, I'm keeping an open mind until I observe a proper demonstration, even as a black level fiend who is already aware of the ISF-established hierarchy of PQ. Plasma is in its sunset phase, so I welcome the OLED comparison since it was missed last year.
vinnie97 is offline  
post #116 of 608 Old 03-02-2014, 01:34 AM
 
AlaskanAVGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 165
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Believe all the advertisements and hype if you want. Or use your brain...your comment reminds me of people who say a 15 mega pixel camera has a better picture on a 8x10 than a 10 mega pixel. Until you understand that its pointless arguing with you. Go waste your money if you like being a sheeple. Fact remains at 10 feet viewing distance you cannot see a difference from 1080p to 4k with a 65" screen. You need a minimum of 85" to notice a difference. Unless your superman that is. Sorry but these are the facts. This topic always makes me laugh because you can see who reads the hype and takes it at face value.
AlaskanAVGuy is offline  
post #117 of 608 Old 03-02-2014, 01:56 AM
 
vinnie97's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Nunya
Posts: 11,657
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1010
Wow, just joined here and a big hotshot already. Firstly, a 4K panel isn't even on my to-buy list, but thanks for your faux concern about my financial well-being. Second, I'm not believing anything, including the flawed graphic that everyone and his mother have used to try to define the exact distance at which the enhanced resolution is no longer visible. Moving images introduce a whole new dynamic in comparison to those that are static, and the manner in which the brain processes visual stimuli is also a complexity that is outside the confines of what that graphic illustrates. Until you admit that, it's pointless arguing with you. Third, I am simply refraining from making any judgements until I see it myself. I'll repeat it a second time since you ignored it the first: I'm refraining from making any judgements until I see it myself. You should try the same. Not everyone has come away with the same opinion as to which minimum distance ratio the enhanced detail is visible, even if only slightly. Fourth, the reported benefits from these same folks could be related to an enhanced bit depth and color space recognition courtesy of the tailor-made content being displayed in the demos or, for the conspiracy-minded among us, an intentional crippling of the 1080p source. The bottom line is I'm not taking a dogmatic, untenable position on this matter, and no one should be lambasted as a more-money-than-sense "sheeple" for taking the "wait and see" approach. I believe in objective testing as much as or more than anyone, which is why I'm glad that VE is attempting to fill the void with this event (it's not 100% objective without concealment of the bezels, but life is full of sacrifice). This will be my last post on this dead horse topic.
vinnie97 is offline  
post #118 of 608 Old 03-02-2014, 03:27 AM
 
AlaskanAVGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 165
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Lmao okay sheeple.....we Barely have a need for 720p at the average americans viewing distance and screen size and yet you think 4k is needed when 1080p is already overkill. Ha I havent laughed this hard in a while thanks. I have seen them and so i know for a fact its all b.s.
Second screen resolution is ranked 4th among factors which determine how good of a picture you have. Educate yourself as youve stated you havent seen one i have.
AlaskanAVGuy is offline  
post #119 of 608 Old 03-02-2014, 06:24 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Writer @ AVS
 
imagic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 5,665
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1118 Post(s)
Liked: 2271
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskanAVGuy View Post

Believe all the advertisements and hype if you want. Or use your brain...your comment reminds me of people who say a 15 mega pixel camera has a better picture on a 8x10 than a 10 mega pixel. Until you understand that its pointless arguing with you. Go waste your money if you like being a sheeple. Fact remains at 10 feet viewing distance you cannot see a difference from 1080p to 4k with a 65" screen. You need a minimum of 85" to notice a difference. Unless your superman that is. Sorry but these are the facts. This topic always makes me laugh because you can see who reads the hype and takes it at face value.

Consider the possibility that you cannot see the difference between HD and UHD at 1.2X the screen diagonal, but some other people can. You don't have to be superman to have better than 20/20 vision, plus the issue of how much detail humans can perceive is more complex than a simple chart implies.

 

It's also worth mentioning that going from HD to UHD is like going from 8 megapixels to 32 megapixels, and you can see a difference in an 8"x10" with more pixels. I've shot over a million photos over the past 15 years and studied all of this quite in depth, I can tell you that's a fact.


Find out more about Mark Henninger at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
imagic is online now  
post #120 of 608 Old 03-02-2014, 06:29 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Writer @ AVS
 
imagic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 5,665
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1118 Post(s)
Liked: 2271
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskanAVGuy View Post

Lmao okay sheeple.....we Barely have a need for 720p at the average americans viewing distance and screen size and yet you think 4k is needed when 1080p is already overkill. Ha I havent laughed this hard in a while thanks. I have seen them and so i know for a fact its all b.s.
Second screen resolution is ranked 4th among factors which determine how good of a picture you have. Educate yourself as youve stated you havent seen one i have.

720p instead of 1080p is always immediately obvious to me at normal viewing distances, triggering a "what's wrong with the picture" response.

 

BTW, I've seen dozens of UHDTVs over the course of the past year, and not just a demo unit at a store. It is true, after a point resolution is not as important as other factors. However, resolution doesn't reach that saturation point until you get to 2160p UHD, 1080p HD is not enough.


Find out more about Mark Henninger at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
imagic is online now  
Reply Community News & Polls

Tags
Panasonic Tc P65vt60 65 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic , Samsung , Samsung Pn64f8500 64 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Ces 2014
Gear in this thread - Pn64f8500 by PriceGrabber.com

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off