post #31 of 143 Old 03-04-2014, 06:42 AM
HPQ
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 60
I agree with everybody, very well done! Good job! smile.gif

Samsung UN75F8000 LED TV, NAD T-777 (7.2 Receiver), Oppo 103, Sony PS4, Panamax MR-5100, 7 Paradigm Reference series 8" in ceiling speakers (AMS-150R) - 30 degree tilting speakers, 2 Paradigm SE Sub, universal remote MX-450, universal advanced RF base station MRF-3501.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 143 Old 03-04-2014, 06:55 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked: 615
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbdudex View Post

Clyde & Jeff - Great looking room, subjectively how do those Alpha-8 Minion's hold up to the JTR Noesis 228HT's when you are at/near reference volume levels?

this is the designers video, outdoor listening test. bottom line is they like to play loud.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DK0tRl51wAY

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PROJECTS:

post #33 of 143 Old 03-04-2014, 08:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked: 203
Giants Fan,

Where in MD are you?

I live in Derwood.
post #34 of 143 Old 03-04-2014, 09:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked: 169
Love the crisp look. Great job.

R 8:28

post #35 of 143 Old 03-04-2014, 09:37 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Nice work guys!

Here is my build thread:

---->
<----
post #36 of 143 Old 03-04-2014, 11:27 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Fantastic room buddy. Elegant and simple. Love it.
post #37 of 143 Old 03-04-2014, 11:48 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Great theater! I copied a lot of the design elements for my own theater still in progress.
post #38 of 143 Old 03-04-2014, 12:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked: 223
Quote:
Originally Posted by blah450 View Post

This looks phenomenal!
Question...why didn't the structural engineer recommend carrying the extra steel a little further left and right to be carried by the structural supports to the left and right?
Not needed or would not have made a difference?
Height of the boxed in beam would not have changed...
Just curious...and a little jealous...biggrin.gif

Not needed and would not have affected the depth of the added steel.

Originally, it looks like the max. span of the beam between supports was ~12 feet, with an existing post by the exterior wall on the right side (when facing the screen) of the theater, an existing load bearing block wall to the left of the AV closet, and an existing post roughly halfway between the them.  Simply removing the middle post would have increased the span between the supports to ~24 feet, which would not work with the existing beam size (too much deflection), and increased the load being carried by the remaining supports.  Based on the constraints, the cheapest solution was to add two posts.  One as close to the existing post (near the exterior wall) as they could get without disturbing the existing footing beneath it.  The other closer to the existing load bearing block wall.  Using pilasters to surround the support posts allowed them to maximize the overall room width, while keeping it classy looking.  Based on the proposed location of the AV closet and the door to get into it (between the theater and the existing block wall), it makes sense to locate the support post on the left side of the theater where they did.

Once they had determined the ideal location of the new posts, they knew what the new max. clear span for the beam would be.  They then had to determine how much reinforcement the beam would need in order to reduce the theoretical deflection (based on required design loads) to an appropriate value.  In this case, welding a shallow WT to the bottom of the existing beam and adding web stiffener plates did the trick.

Assuming a uniform load, the point where the deflection would be the greatest is mid-span.  The best (easiest to erect; least amount of shoring and other field labor) connection type to use between the new support posts and the existing beam is to have the beam bear on top of the posts and either weld the top of the post to the bottom of the beam or provide a cap plate on top of the post and bolt the cap plate to the bottom flange of the beam.  Since the strength of the connection is sufficient just connecting the support posts to the existing beam, there is no need to extend the WT all the way to the posts and connect it directly to them.  However, there is a max. distance you can have from the connection point to the end of the WT, which is based on the existing beam size, WT size, and the span.  In this case, I'm guessing that they simply ordered the WT @ a 10 foot length or whatever length the steel supplier had in stock that would meet their needs, as this would again cut down on labor cost as opposed to ordering a 20 footer and having to cut it to the proper length.

Another thing to consider... depending on the ceiling height and the height of the existing beam from finish floor, holding the end of the WT back from the support columns by a foot or so, might eliminate the need to notch the drywall of the inside face of the pilaster around the WT.

post #39 of 143 Old 03-04-2014, 03:14 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 89
This remains one of my favorite home theaters. Congratulations! !!!

Varibus Mari Victoria
post #40 of 143 Old 03-04-2014, 03:22 PM

Liked: 13

Very tasteful and classy. Congrats.

JMT

post #41 of 143 Old 03-04-2014, 03:55 PM

Beautiful work. I'm curious about two things: 1) Why six surround speakers (9.1) in a 7.1 system? Are the two sets of sides split from the same signal, one for each row of seating?  There are two more speakers than there are listed amp channels. :)  2) Where is the equipment rack?

post #42 of 143 Old 03-04-2014, 06:08 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

rack is back corner as shown in diagram
two side surrounds. for three rows of seating. yes split
Between the receiver and the add on 5 channel amp there are plenty of channels to fill the room, many go unused.

PROJECTS:

post #43 of 143 Old 03-04-2014, 06:35 PM

Liked: 36
Quote:

Scott - when you fix post #1 also add the room dimensions there, I was going to ask and saw another member did, include the height as well.

Clyde & Jeff - Great looking room, subjectively how do those Alpha-8 Minion's hold up to the JTR Noesis 228HT's when you are at/near reference volume levels?

I have not watched an entire movie at reference volume levels, but I have watched clips of different movies for several minutes at a time and the minion 8's held up just fine in my opinion. Being that this is my first theater, I decided not to go that intense with some of my equipment. I'm still at the baby/beginners stage, but I am truly happy with my space and equipment.
post #44 of 143 Old 03-04-2014, 08:18 PM

Liked: 10
Great theater. I am looking to start building one myself. I am so inspired now.
post #45 of 143 Old 03-04-2014, 11:11 PM

Liked: 12
Fantastic room, build and design quality. Very impressive, hope you enjoy it.
post #46 of 143 Old 03-05-2014, 03:05 AM

Nicely done, congratulations.
post #47 of 143 Old 03-05-2014, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post

rack is back corner as shown in diagram
two side surrounds. for three rows of seating. yes split
Between the receiver and the add on 5 channel amp there are plenty of channels to fill the room, many go unused.

Awesome theater, I am more inspired than ever to get started on mine. Thanks for documenting the process. Any chance we could see some pics of the equipment rack from the front and the back. I'd love to see some shots of the walk in closet behind the theater. Do you load your DVDs from inside the theater or from behind in the closet?
oneeyeblind likes this.
post #48 of 143 Old 03-05-2014, 06:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 118
great job

post #49 of 143 Old 03-05-2014, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post

Wow that's a really impressive result for the amount invested. Congratulations!

Not to detract from the fine achievement, but it strikes me that the rug probably cost more than
the speakers (not even to mention cost of the seating). Personally, I went with $20,000 speakers,
$10,000 electronics and a $500 (very comfortable) sofa. But then, I care more about sound than
about video and next to zero about cosmetics...

-- Ron
oneeyeblind likes this.
post #50 of 143 Old 03-05-2014, 07:36 AM
Senior Writer @ AVS

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1125 Post(s)
Liked: 2275
Quote:
Originally Posted by ron12n View Post

Not to detract from the fine achievement, but it strikes me that the rug probably cost more than
the speakers (not even to mention cost of the seating). Personally, I went with $20,000 speakers,
$10,000 electronics and a $500 (very comfortable) sofa. But then, I care more about sound than
about video and next to zero about cosmetics...

-- Ron

Does the cost of speakers make them sound better? I've found very little correlation between the two—especially when aesthetics are not a major concern, such as when the speakers are hidden.

JTR Noesis 228HTs sound impeccable—they are some of the finest speakers I've heard at any price.

oneeyeblind likes this.

Find out more about Mark Henninger at
post #51 of 143 Old 03-05-2014, 08:16 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 48
That is a very nice HT I must say.
post #52 of 143 Old 03-05-2014, 08:46 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJerm1 View Post

Awesome theater, I am more inspired than ever to get started on mine. Thanks for documenting the process. Any chance we could see some pics of the equipment rack from the front and the back. I'd love to see some shots of the walk in closet behind the theater. Do you load your DVDs from inside the theater or from behind in the closet?

couldn't find any inside the closet, maybe Clyde can snap a couple

PROJECTS:

post #53 of 143 Old 03-05-2014, 09:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJerm1 View Post

Do you load your DVDs from inside the theater or from behind in the closet?
DVD's are so mid 2000's, not 2014 technology smile.gif
I suppose you mean blu-ray?
Kidding aside, I've seen HT where all gear is outside the HT, I prefer easy access in the HT, but outside of sight when viewing the movie.

Via my iPhone 5s & Tapatalk, LLAP

Mike R,P.E. clickable DIY hot links:

post #54 of 143 Old 03-05-2014, 09:24 AM

Quote:

couldn't find any inside the closet, maybe Clyde can snap a couple

Thanks, that's a nice setup, exactly what I was hoping to see. I like the idea of loading in the theater, but storing the "blu-rays" in another room or closet for a cleaner look.

Thanks for the reply.

Quote:

I still buy regular DVD/non blu-ray movies sometimes (I hope my membership is not in jeopardy). I watched Gravity on 3D blu-ray last week on my Sony KDL-55W900A, it was well worth the extra 15 bucks!
post #55 of 143 Old 03-05-2014, 11:04 AM

Quote:

I don't think I ever posted this picture of the support pole nesting in the column, One reason I suggested the DIY sound group speaker is it wasn't very wide so it could sit side by side in a reasonably sized column. Still had to offset the column a bit but you would never notice in the theater until I point it out.

Close up of the final speakers. that is an 8 inch driver

I built a pair of these to test. Did you stuff them with any material? I used two types, a "foam" material and batting. Without it, they sounded very tinny.
post #56 of 143 Old 03-05-2014, 11:16 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

yes they got stuffed cotton and glass

PROJECTS:

post #57 of 143 Old 03-05-2014, 12:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Nice Room! Kudos to you.

xbox live GT: xXmaximus prime
PSN: maximus_rr
I have to go, I have a meeting with the bobs, uhhh I wasnt aware of any meeting......yeah they called me at home
post #58 of 143 Old 03-05-2014, 12:43 PM

Liked: 15
Very nice setup. Done without a huge budget and realistic components. rolleyes.gif

LG 55 LM7600, LG BP 620, Yamaha RX-V 677, Direct TV HR24-200, NHT Classic Ten sub, TwoC Center, NHT Classic Three's Mains, NHT IC2 surrounds.
post #59 of 143 Old 03-05-2014, 01:02 PM

Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by KidHorn View Post

Giants Fan,

Where in MD are you?

I live in Derwood.

Hey, I live in parkton, just above sparks Maryland.
post #60 of 143 Old 03-05-2014, 02:29 PM

Clyde-

Don't know if you come to San Antonio much but if you're back in town sometime, come see me at Bjorn's Audio/Video. Would love to chat about your room and show you around the store. smile.gif

Reply Community News & Polls

Tags
Oppo Bdp 103d Universal 3d Blu Ray Player Darbee Edition , Jvc Dla Rs4810 3d Home Theater Projector , Denon Avr 4520ci Receiver , Emotiva Xpa 5 5 Channel Power Amplifier , Jtr , Hsu Vtf 15h Subwoofer , Falcon Vision Hd , Home Theater Of The Month
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page