Forum Jump: 

post #121 of 143 Old 03-19-2014, 08:29 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by indio22 View Post

Even though my home theater currently is just a budget LED projector and 5.1 sound system in the corner of an unfinished basement, one of my favorite things to do on AVS Forum is read about the various home theater builds. Really like this build - great look - nice job. It is cool to see all the creativity that goes into these builds. The design for my home theater has been bouncing around inside my head for a few years, hopefully this summer (if it every arrives to Chicagoland given the horrible weather this year) will be the time to make it a reality.

Thanks Indio22, I love Chicagoland. Just take your time and review different builds and that should help you come up with something nice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 143 Old 03-20-2014, 08:09 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I like the simplicity yet the elegance and sophistication at the same time. Nice build. I have a couple questions. How did you protect your subs, thru the line conditioner? I just finished my theater and I have 2 BIC America PL200's. They recommend powering them with a seperate source. I thought they wold draw too much to run thru my Panamax M5100-PM. The second question is what kind of price are the kits you used for your surrounds? I have Speakercraft Cinema five left and right a Cinema five LCR center and four Aim Wide three's for my surrounds (2) and rear (2). I wondered how much more another set of front wides would add to the sound. I have an Onkyo TX-NR929 receiver so I can run a 9 channel set up. I hung an Epson 5030UB projector from the ceiling and also have two rows of 4 seats with an riser under the rear row with custom built columns. I did not have room for a higher ceiling to do a tray or light effects. I am jealous of you height. Thanks for all of he pics and info.
post #123 of 143 Old 03-20-2014, 10:58 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
VERY NICE! PERFECT STYLE! I wish I had the space you have mine is similar in some respects on a much much smaller scale!! I would rank this as one of my top 5 theaters! LOOKS AWESOME...
post #124 of 143 Old 03-21-2014, 04:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Liked: 342
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockjul View Post

I like the simplicity yet the elegance and sophistication at the same time. Nice build. I have a couple questions. How did you protect your subs, thru the line conditioner? I just finished my theater and I have 2 BIC America PL200's. They recommend powering them with a seperate source. I thought they wold draw too much to run thru my Panamax M5100-PM. The second question is what kind of price are the kits you used for your surrounds? I have Speakercraft Cinema five left and right a Cinema five LCR center and four Aim Wide three's for my surrounds (2) and rear (2). I wondered how much more another set of front wides would add to the sound. I have an Onkyo TX-NR929 receiver so I can run a 9 channel set up. I hung an Epson 5030UB projector from the ceiling and also have two rows of 4 seats with an riser under the rear row with custom built columns. I did not have room for a higher ceiling to do a tray or light effects. I am jealous of you height. Thanks for all of he pics and info.

Subwoofers dont generally require protection (power conditioners can be a bottleneck sometimes) the way more delicate items do. Most (speaker and sub) amps have built in protection already. I had two Panamax M-5300PM power conditioners, and had a long conversation about this with my sub manufacturer. Power conditioners can limit power available for high-demand peaks too.

If you're interested in width channels, I can say that I've heard them a few times in a couple setups, and u definitely want them in your theater if you can swing them.
post #125 of 143 Old 03-21-2014, 06:04 PM

I just was wondering how panamax would look at that if there was a problem with a surge. If the subs were not protected I would anticipate panamax saying, your problem was the subs were not protected and the surge back fed thru the sub cable to the receiver. Is there a module that can go on a sub cable to keep anything from back feeding directly to the receiver? And as far as the width channel I was thinking of trying a pair of the Alpha-8 Minions. I wonder how the would match up to the rest of the system?
post #126 of 143 Old 03-25-2014, 12:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockjul View Post

I just was wondering how panamax would look at that if there was a problem with a surge. If the subs were not protected I would anticipate panamax saying, your problem was the subs were not protected and the surge back fed thru the sub cable to the receiver. Is there a module that can go on a sub cable to keep anything from back feeding directly to the receiver? And as far as the width channel I was thinking of trying a pair of the Alpha-8 Minions. I wonder how the would match up to the rest of the system?

I don't think they would blame the interconnects; I don't think they're capable of carrying a signal strong enough to damage a receiver (if I'm wrong, someone please let me know).  Just to be on the safe side, you might be able to place an active cable extender between the sub and the receiver.  In theory, the active extender would take the damage as the intermediate device.

post #127 of 143 Old 03-26-2014, 08:56 AM

I will look for an extender just to cover all the possibilities. Thanks for the advice.
post #128 of 143 Old 03-27-2014, 11:16 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYGIANTSFAN23 View Post

The distance from the screen to the first row is approximately 11 1/2. From the back of the first row seats to the back of the second row seats is approximately 6 1/2. The first row of seats sitting straight up is a little too close for be, but once I recline it is fine. I prefer to sit in the second row middle seats.

Congrats on this amazing HT and being HT of the Month!
I am beginning construction on my own soon and this is very inspiring. My room dimensions will be much smaller, but my total length will be close to yours from screen to back row, so I'm very interested in your arrangement. I was concerned about that front row being too close in my setup. Is the 11 1/2 ft you mentioned from the screen to the front of the first row or screen to back of first row? It's great to be able to get other's opinions on similar layouts!
Thanks!
post #129 of 143 Old 03-30-2014, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mthiggins View Post

Congrats on this amazing HT and being HT of the Month!
I am beginning construction on my own soon and this is very inspiring. My room dimensions will be much smaller, but my total length will be close to yours from screen to back row, so I'm very interested in your arrangement. I was concerned about that front row being too close in my setup. Is the 11 1/2 ft you mentioned from the screen to the front of the first row or screen to back of first row? It's great to be able to get other's opinions on similar layouts!
Thanks![/quote

Sorry for the delay, that is to the back of the first row. sitting straight up is a little close, but once I recline it is manageable.
post #130 of 143 Old 03-30-2014, 06:15 PM

Awesome
post #131 of 143 Old 03-30-2014, 11:07 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Does the guy who built this believe that his magical power-conditioning provides him with "superior, clean, clear sound" better than three-way speakers would have? Or at least some higher-end two-ways?
post #132 of 143 Old 04-02-2014, 09:57 AM
Senior Writer @ AVS

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1676 Post(s)
Liked: 3026
Quote:
Originally Posted by WebEffect View Post

Does the guy who built this believe that his magical power-conditioning provides him with "superior, clean, clear sound" better than three-way speakers would have? Or at least some higher-end two-ways?

JTR Noesis 228s are ridiculously great-sounding speakers. Unless you have a huge room they are all the speaker you need—reference quality sound with any music genre and movies sound exceptionally good.

I don't see anything wrong with his choice of power conditioner; it's a Belkin, not some overpriced audiophile unit. Just sayin'.

Find out more about Mark Henninger at www.imagicdigital.com
post #133 of 143 Old 04-02-2014, 10:36 AM

Liked: 16
Quote:

Or at least some higher-end two-ways?

Yeah, because he totally cheaped-out with the three front speakers that cost $1200 each. confused.gif

My home theater gallery Epson 5010 Projector, 133" Cinemascope Screen, Klipsch RF-7
post #134 of 143 Old 04-02-2014, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post

JTR Noesis 228s are ridiculously great-sounding speakers. Unless you have a huge room they are all the speaker you need—reference quality sound with any music genre and movies sound exceptionally good.

I don't see anything wrong with his choice of power conditioner; it's a Belkin, not some overpriced audiophile unit. Just sayin'.

Hey Imagic, Webbs questions/comments did not even deserve a response. I am completely happy with my set up and I purchased what was affordable for me at the time. I've been looking for some pics of his space and I couldn't find any. I wonder why!?!
post #135 of 143 Old 04-02-2014, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgar_in_Indy View Post

Yeah, because he totally cheaped-out with the three front speakers that cost $1200 each. confused.gif

Hey Edgar,

I guess Webbeffect is not a fan of my set up. I love my JTR's and I couldn't be happier with my set up. I'm just as confused as you are with Webbs comments. eek.gif
post #136 of 143 Old 04-02-2014, 01:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Are you denying the benefits of power conditioning? It is essentially critical for electronic devices--moreso for micro-processor based devices that are extremely sensitive to power spikes. Surges don't need to be large enough to trip a breaker.  There can be small surges as well, and conditioners help to reduce degradation of components in some components over time. It's less about magically improving sound and more about maintaining performance over time.  Regarding the comments on the speakers, never criticize someone's speakers unless both of the following are true: 1) You actually own a better set, AND 2) are willing send the owner the monetary price difference between the speakers being criticized, and the suggested upgrade.   If i tell my wife I don't like her shoes, I better have a nicer pair in the car ready to give her.

imagic and HockeyoAJB like this.
post #137 of 143 Old 04-08-2014, 03:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrolicBeast View Post

Are you denying the benefits of power conditioning? It is essentially critical for electronic devices--moreso for micro-processor based devices that are extremely sensitive to power spikes. Surges don't need to be large enough to trip a breaker.  There can be small surges as well, and conditioners help to reduce degradation of components in some components over time. It's less about magically improving sound and more about maintaining performance over time. 

Really? Care to back this up with current data or is it just anecdotal based upon older tech? I do have a little experience with electronics and power conversion and curious to know what you know that I don't. Power conditioners do have their use...but your assertions are not that use.

I must be guilty because people say I am guilty because they chose to call me guilty because they refuse to see the truth. Much easier to be part of the mob..
post #138 of 143 Old 07-21-2014, 10:32 AM

Yes indeed, it is truly my utopia.
post #139 of 143 Old 09-05-2014, 12:00 PM

Liked: 0
NYGIANTSFAN23, Absolutely fantastic !! I am starting to build my HT very soon and I am very much impressed with your screen setup. Can you please post some detail piks and dimensions of the screen?
post #140 of 143 Old 09-05-2014, 08:53 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
That is awesome
post #141 of 143 Old 09-07-2014, 07:46 AM

Thanks seesawguy, I purchased my screen from Falcon Screens.. the official site is located on this forum. Quality screen, great prices. You can view more pics in my build.
seesawguy likes this.
post #142 of 143 Old 09-07-2014, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowbob230 View Post
That is awesome
thanks snowrob.
post #143 of 143 Old 09-08-2014, 09:28 PM

Liked: 0
Do you take appointments?

Beautifully set up!

That natural finish of those speakers is immaculately beautiful.
Reply Community News & Polls

Tags
Oppo Bdp 103d Universal 3d Blu Ray Player Darbee Edition , Jvc Dla Rs4810 3d Home Theater Projector , Denon Avr 4520ci Receiver , Emotiva Xpa 5 5 Channel Power Amplifier , Jtr , Hsu Vtf 15h Subwoofer , Falcon Vision Hd , Home Theater Of The Month
Gear in this thread