HT of the Month: Ultimate Bass - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 252 Old 04-09-2014, 06:44 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Nice set-up.

A couple of comments, not meant to be critical. Discussion is the goal here.

1. He has horn speakers, which by definition distort any sound they produce. So do ALL box speakers.
2. We built the woofers and oak stands for the Mark Levinson HQD systems in the 1970s and 1980s. The woofers were Hartley 32" drivers place in 1"+ pressboard cabs that had very specific dimensions. As I remember, they were about 5' high and were braced at the seams with 4x4 wood braces. They weighed a ton, but sounded pretty good even though ML amps were among the worst on the market for sound in those days. Oh, they broke down a lot as well, but that issue was common in ALL high end manufacturers in those days. I sold the stuff, so I know, believe me. The worst was Nakamichi; every one of their products broke down within a month of service and had to be repaired numerous times. I have no idea how they are doing today.

For those who want to show me graphs of perfectly reproduced sine waves as proof of their "good sound," I simply point out what you and this person already know: the most important component in ANY sound system is the room in which it is played, period.

Finally, and not to be critical, but Mr. Levinson's company was VERY SLOW in paying their bills to us, anyway.

It wasn't a BAD system, but our Audio Research-Magnepan systems sold and sounded better in a variety of rooms in those days. Like the HQD system, these were VERY DIFFICULT to set up properly in a given room, but seemed to adapt to a wider variety of locations than the HQD system did.

Cheers, and happy listening!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 252 Old 04-09-2014, 07:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by richopp View Post

Nice set-up.

1. He has horn speakers, which by definition distort any sound they produce. So do ALL box speakers.

I have to agree on the box speaker comment especially. Constant directive horns can have that uniform dispersion advantage but personally I prefer large CBT arrays to control dispersion. If I were to move into a place having a system like that, the first thing I would do is ditch the pro-audio mains and center and replace them with CBT, ideally open baffle CBT. Actually probably infinite line for the mains (for simplicity) and DSP delayed CBT center. When I finally get out of NY and move back to TX one of the first upgrades I plan is to replace my circular arc CBT center with DSP delayed. This will enable it to be a dipole and function as a CBT both front and rear. Doing something like that is I think one way a system like this could be dramatically improved. Still, this looks to be a pretty spectacular system as it is. I imagine it will destroy many of Rob's friends ability to enjoy movies in any commercial cinema. After a movie at his house even the best of iMax will likely sound like crap to them. I know my HT has certainly done this to many a friend.

mk
post #183 of 252 Old 04-09-2014, 08:10 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Writer @ AVS

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1039 Post(s)
Liked: 2185
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montekay View Post

I have to agree on the box speaker comment especially. Constant directive horns can have that uniform dispersion advantage but personally I prefer large CBT arrays to control dispersion. If I were to move into a place having a system like that, the first thing I would do is ditch the pro-audio mains and center and replace them with CBT, ideally open baffle CBT. Actually probably infinite line for the mains (for simplicity) and DSP delayed CBT center. When I finally get out of NY and move back to TX one of the first upgrades I plan is to replace my circular arc CBT center with DSP delayed. This will enable it to be a dipole and function as a CBT both front and rear. Doing something like that is I think one way a system like this could be dramatically improved. Still, this looks to be a pretty spectacular system as it is. I imagine it will destroy many of Rob's friends ability to enjoy movies in any commercial cinema. After a movie at his house even the best of iMax will likely sound like crap to them. I know my HT has certainly done this to many a friend.

mk

I've been to a couple of home theater GTGs help by some serious DIYers up here in the northeast. The recent "HT heavyweights" results thread is worth a read. CBT arrays didn't fare any better than 2-way horn-based systems. It was a very thorough exercise and the thread is worth a read. There are no huge gains to be made versus what Rob has right now. I've heard a quarter-million-dollar Wisdom Audio system based on line arrays and Rob's system is still in the same league.

However, arrays do perform very well and I'd consider it a matter of personal preference, not of one approach being superior to the other.

notnyt likes this.

Find out more about Mark Henninger at www.imagicdigital.com
post #184 of 252 Old 04-09-2014, 08:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post

I've been to a couple of home theater GTGs help by some serious DIYers up here in the northeast. The recent "HT heavyweights" results thread is worth a read. CBT arrays didn't fare any better than 2-way horn-based systems. It was a very thorough exercise and the thread is worth a read. There are no huge gains to be made versus what Rob has right now. I've heard a quarter-million-dollar Wisdom Audio system based on line arrays and Rob's system is still in the same league.

However, arrays do perform very well and I'd consider it a matter of personal preference, not of one approach being superior to the other.

Sounds like they were probably using the CBT45 which is a nice speaker but just too small. It also does the shading attenuation passively which waste a bit of power. I'm a big fan of active in general but especially for array shading. No doubt a top notch horn system can also sound good but yes my personal preference is definitely with big line arrays. Also, just not a fan of box speakers at all, even my bass is dipole and the planned sub-sonic sub is IB.

mk
post #185 of 252 Old 04-09-2014, 10:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 161
Been meaning to tell ya Congrats on HT of the month! You deserve it. Hopefully now more folks will take JBL's Pro Cinema line more seriously. Keep it cranked!!!!
notnyt likes this.

JBL Pro Cinema
post #186 of 252 Old 04-09-2014, 11:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 377
Quote:
Originally Posted by jheyau View Post

Just incredible! I must have missed it, Rob, what are the dimensions of your room which allowed you to fit in so many huge subwoofers? Do you have a frequency response graph of your system posted somewhere? Do you listen to music much? I was just imagining what great organ music would sound like in your system!

The "screen wall" is 24 feet or so. It's 25 feet from front wall to back wall.

9S0i6yE.png
Scott Simonian and willymo like this.
post #187 of 252 Old 04-09-2014, 11:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Congrats Rob!

I second the idea of going ported if it means getting more output in the frequencies that matter most while protecting those top tier LMS drivers.

You may have answered this already but do you find yourself secretly missing the single digit Hz effect or are you too busy being pummeled to even care?

Do you notice any difference in the sound with the center channel? Is it a timbre match? Any issues with panning scenes?

Were you able to audition the JBL's in another space or did you buy blind? It is a rare speaker to be able to hear in someones home so just wondering.
post #188 of 252 Old 04-09-2014, 01:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedimastergrant View Post

Congrats Rob!

I second the idea of going ported if it means getting more output in the frequencies that matter most while protecting those top tier LMS drivers.

You may have answered this already but do you find yourself secretly missing the single digit Hz effect or are you too busy being pummeled to even care?

Do you notice any difference in the sound with the center channel? Is it a timbre match? Any issues with panning scenes?

Were you able to audition the JBL's in another space or did you buy blind? It is a rare speaker to be able to hear in someones home so just wondering.

Single digits were non perceivable. With transducers, I'm actually getting something out of it now.

I auditioned the JBLs first. timbre matching, imo, is silly. The center uses completely different components. I have EQ, it works. No issues panning. It's seamless.
post #189 of 252 Old 04-09-2014, 03:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnyt View Post

Single digits were non perceivable. With transducers, I'm actually getting something out of it now.

I auditioned the JBLs first. timbre matching, imo, is silly. The center uses completely different components. I have EQ, it works. No issues panning. It's seamless.

If you are an EQ master then it may be unnecessary. Most people do not have advanced EQ experience. Glad to hear it is not an issue for you.

Regarding the sealed to ported change. If single digits were not perceptible then it makes perfect sense to me. And if eight 18'' LMS sealed drivers don't get you to meaningful ULF output then it is hard to imagine what would. I have been thinking lately about just how many dB's it really takes in an average sized room to be able to feel something like say 9 Hz.

The Crowson transducers are intriguing. I tried a Butt Shaker and I was kind of on the fence about it. But, a nearby to me avs member (Carp) recently added Crowson transducers to his already capable eight 18"s. I have been to his room many times but he says the Crowson is the way to go if you want to get the ULF effect so I can't wait to try it out.

I am fairly jealous of your huge room. It makes so many things possible.

I know the construction process is a ton of work so congrats again.
post #190 of 252 Old 04-09-2014, 03:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedimastergrant View Post

If you are an EQ master then it may be unnecessary. Most people do not have advanced EQ experience. Glad to hear it is not an issue for you.

Regarding the sealed to ported change. If single digits were not perceptible then it makes perfect sense to me. And if eight 18'' LMS sealed drivers don't get you to meaningful ULF output then it is hard to imagine what would. I have been thinking lately about just how many dB's it really takes in an average sized room to be able to feel something like say 9 Hz.

The Crowson transducers are intriguing. I tried a Butt Shaker and I was kind of on the fence about it. But, a nearby to me avs member (Carp) recently added Crowson transducers to his already capable eight 18"s. I have been to his room many times but he says the Crowson is the way to go if you want to get the ULF effect so I can't wait to try it out.

I am fairly jealous of your huge room. It makes so many things possible.

I know the construction process is a ton of work so congrats again.

Eh, I'm running my speakers through XT32, that's all the EQ on them. Don't need to be a master.
post #191 of 252 Old 04-09-2014, 04:06 PM

I love Bass, that is killer.

Only have two old Kenwood Trip 7 Z's on a separate amp myself as dual sub woofers, your setup I love.

Nice job.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EqvYNlUIx8Q
post #192 of 252 Old 04-09-2014, 06:40 PM
pjp

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnyt View Post

The "screen wall" is 24 feet or so. It's 25 feet from front wall to back wall.

9S0i6yE.png

Probably stating the obvious here, but clearly you need to add a transducer or something to turn your screen into a 115" rectangular driver so you can fill out the weakness in the 5 to 12 hz range! biggrin.gif

Amazing work, I can only imagine how sounds (or I guess I should should say feels).
post #193 of 252 Old 04-09-2014, 10:10 PM

Liked: 17
I just never understood why you'd want to listen to movies at that level. I'm all for fidelity, but I'm also all for OSHA's ear protection recommendations since they're there for a reason. Ringing in your ears is one of the most painful things mine only ring a little though. And I never understood bass heavy systems as I'd want pink noise playing through my system to be flat not having the subwoofers playing loud. No one could hear my subwoofer in my car if you were outside of it with the windows up back in the day. I guess this system could be flat but with 8 18" woofers receiving well over 10,000 watts and 5 speakers being powered by a Denon receiver I'd have to say no.

I'd like to get an email from avs showcasing a great home theater utilizing one or two subwoofers with really nice speakers and a bigger screen an awesome projector and nice recliners that'd make me happy. Something unique beside's ridiculous amounts of bass.
post #194 of 252 Old 04-09-2014, 11:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComputerTech0903 View Post

5 speakers being powered by a Denon receiver I'd have to say no.
What's wrong with that? The 4722N and 3677 are rated at 104dB and 99dB sensitivity.
Quote:

I'd like to get an email from avs showcasing a great home theater utilizing one or two subwoofers with really nice speakers
Perhaps two of Danley's monster subs or JTR Orbit Shifters.
Do you think JBL 4722N is bad speaker for home theater?
its phillip likes this.
post #195 of 252 Old 04-10-2014, 05:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked: 469
Quote:

I just never understood why you'd want to listen to movies at that level. I'm all for fidelity, but I'm also all for OSHA's ear protection recommendations since they're there for a reason. Ringing in your ears is one of the most painful things mine only ring a little though. And I never understood bass heavy systems as I'd want pink noise playing through my system to be flat not having the subwoofers playing loud. No one could hear my subwoofer in my car if you were outside of it with the windows up back in the day. I guess this system could be flat but with 8 18" woofers receiving well over 10,000 watts and 5 speakers being powered by a Denon receiver I'd have to say no.

I'd like to get an email from avs showcasing a great home theater utilizing one or two subwoofers with really nice speakers and a bigger screen an awesome projector and nice recliners that'd make me happy. Something unique beside's ridiculous amounts of bass.

Since it's the "HT of the Month" I'm sure you'll get your wish. There are a lot of months and chances for variety.
post #196 of 252 Old 04-10-2014, 05:26 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Writer @ AVS

Quote:

It's really tough—perhaps impossible—to get flat bass response in every seat in a home theater with only one or two conventional (non-rotary) subwoofers. The more subs you have, the easier it is to EQ flat throughout the space. The way speaker efficiency works, Rob's system is balanced. Most systems have way too much headroom in the treble, not enough in the bass. Also, did you see his FR graph just a few posts ago?

its phillip likes this.

post #197 of 252 Old 04-10-2014, 07:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Like I mentioned in an earlier post a couple pages or so back, there is a difference between bass and bass capacity. Having 10,000 watts on tap for the woofers doesn't mean anything about how the bass will drown out the rest. The key word again is "capacity". Every system has some maximum output and that maximum will always be limited by some weakest link. Most systems that weakest link is the lower octaves. This system's weakest link may or may not be in the upper octaves due to a lack of power in that region but I doubt it. The efficiency of the drivers in the main speakers could easily be 10 dB higher than the efficiency of the subs, I don't know that, but it's very possible. This means they only need 10% as much power to keep up.

I think it would be very difficult to design a system such that the maximum capacity is the same across all frequencies. There would really be no reason to try to build such a system, just making sure it has enough capacity at all frequencies is good enough...sort of. If it has excess capacity in a particular frequency band that's fine and may have advantages especially in the lower octaves. Having excess capacity in the lower octaves means operating well below maximum capacity and this can translate to lower distortion. My HT uses twenty four 15" drivers primarily in an effort to minimize distortion and to minimize cone velocity and thus wind noise. As for bass overriding the rest... No, in fact I have a tendency to EQ it a bit thin by most peoples opinion. I don't like overbearing bass.

As for the 10,000 watts, this doesn't mean a lot other than it's not likely to ever clip. My system uses about 65 watts/woofer and it's plenty. You can't just keep adding power and keep getting louder, at some point you get compression and at some higher power level you get smoke. You never need more power than is required to reach maximum excursion, beyond that, it doesn't make it louder. Having such a huge amount of power is not about constantly using that power, it's about never clipping on peaks.

Just because you build a system with some huge SPL capability doesn't mean you listen at deafening levels. There is a big difference between such a system and a more modest system even at levels that can be easily spoken over. The difference is in dynamics, the system with enormous capacity will have dynamic impact even at modest listening levels that more common systems can never achieve.

So you're just looking at it the wrong way, just keep in mind that word, "capacity" and don't get confused. Even a Yugo can drive alongside a race car perfectly matching speeds anywhere from zero to the max capability of the Yugo. Similarly, this or any other system can be equalized flat and all frequency bands can play right alongside the others anywhere from 0 dB to the maximum of the weakest frequency band. The further they all play from their maximum the lower the distortion and the better the dynamics. There is really no such thing as too much capacity.

mk
popalock and its phillip like this.
post #198 of 252 Old 04-10-2014, 07:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked: 568
Send a message via Skype™ to popalock
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montekay View Post

I think it would be very difficult to design a system such that the maximum capacity is the same across all frequencies. There would really be no reason to try to build such a system, just making sure it has enough capacity at all frequencies is good enough...sort of. If it has excess capacity in a particular frequency band that's fine and may have advantages especially in the lower octaves. Having excess capacity in the lower octaves means operating well below maximum capacity and this can translate to lower distortion. My HT uses twenty four 15" drivers primarily in an effort to minimize distortion and to minimize cone velocity and thus wind noise. As for bass overriding the rest... No, in fact I have a tendency to EQ it a bit thin by most peoples opinion. I don't like overbearing bass.

I've seen a youtube video of your space. Very nice indeed.

I'd venture to bet that most people (even with the most capable systems, such as not here) are like you and keep it at very reasonable levels for daily driving...

I probably keep it between -20db to -25db when I'm watching with the family. However, having the "option" to crank it to 11 for a demo, or anytime I feel the itch, is awesome.

I'd going to make it a point to check out Rob's system one day...one day....

post #199 of 252 Old 04-10-2014, 08:13 AM

Nice flux capacitor............. LMAO at the 3 tiny panels in the back trying to muffle some bass.

Congrats on the win, yet I still think it's ridiculous. You'll have colliflower ears by the time the movie is over.

SMH

post #200 of 252 Old 04-10-2014, 08:17 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Writer @ AVS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrygutier View Post

Nice flux capacitor............. LMAO at the 3 tiny panels in the back trying to muffle some bass.

Congrats on the win, yet I still think it's ridiculous. You'll have colliflower ears by the time the movie is over.

SMH

The corner traps are for bass, the rear panels are standard acoustical panels. 

post #201 of 252 Old 04-10-2014, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post

The corner traps are for bass, the rear panels are standard acoustical panels.

I know I just figure with all that bass the acoustics would be slapped back into the panels like a bug slapping a windshield.

Then again what do I know, I still rely on a 8 track open book boombox as my primary source of entertainment. ;o (

post #202 of 252 Old 04-10-2014, 12:05 PM

Liked: 17
The point is you shouldn't really be listening to your system above 100 decibels anyways heck 90 decibels is loud enough. A power mower is 96 decibels it's just why do you need this I just don't want to receive emails about this I might take myself off the miling list. You dont need 16000 watts of power for 90 decibels either way people will regret their home theater after they lose their hearing good luck.
post #203 of 252 Old 04-10-2014, 12:09 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:

The point is you shouldn't really be listening to your system above 100 decibels anyways heck 90 decibels is loud enough. A power mower is 96 decibels it's just why do you need this I just don't want to receive emails about this I might take myself off the miling list. You dont need 16000 watts of power for 90 decibels either way people will regret their home theater after they lose their hearing good luck.

I agree with this. I start loud and lower it until I start to lose things. That way my hearing stays at a better place.

post #204 of 252 Old 04-10-2014, 12:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 54
what's with all the haters coming out of nowhere?

Anyway, I'd love to experience a movie in this theater.
Tedd, notnyt and jjazdk like this.

post #205 of 252 Old 04-10-2014, 12:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked: 469
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrissy4605 View Post

I agree with this. I start loud and lower it until I start to lose things. That way my hearing stays at a better place.

Low bass (the kind most systems aren't capable of) is wayyyyy more feel than hear. 100 db's at 15 hz is NOT loud, not even close.
its phillip likes this.
post #206 of 252 Old 04-10-2014, 12:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 744
Quote:

There's a lot of things you "shouldn't" do, but thanks anyways, mom.
notnyt likes this.

post #207 of 252 Old 04-10-2014, 01:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:

FYI, 105dB / 115dB are reference level peak on mains/subs. You don't get peaks continuously in a movie unless you're playing a sine wave nonstop.
Movies are meant to be listened at reference level. That's the standard for cinema too. I bet you need to wear ear muffs or ear plugs when you go to the cinema.
post #208 of 252 Old 04-10-2014, 01:33 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Writer @ AVS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylinestar View Post

FYI, 105dB / 115dB are reference level peak on mains/subs. You don't get peaks continuously in a movie unless you're playing a sine wave nonstop.
Movies are meant to be listened at reference level. That's the standard for cinema too. I bet you need to wear ear muffs or ear plugs when you go to the cinema.

Time to get specific! OSHA standards here. Two hours of continuous 100 dB exposure is OK. For a 90-minute action flick, 1 hour of 105 dB continuous sound is still OK. 15 minutes of "peak" at 115db is also cool. 'Nuf said.

TABLE G-16 - PERMISSIBLE NOISE EXPOSURES (1)
                            |
8...........................|                    90
6...........................|                    92
4...........................|                    95
3...........................|                    97
2...........................|                   100
1 1/2 ......................|                   102
1...........................|                   105
1/2 ........................|                   110
1/4  or less................|                   115
____________________________|________________________________

post #209 of 252 Old 04-10-2014, 03:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by its phillip View Post

what's with all the haters coming out of nowhere?

Anyway, I'd love to experience a movie in this theater.

I'd call them not "haters", rather "not informed" or "mis-educated".
Hopefully they have an open mindset and a learners attitude.
That shows maturity and the difference between a child and a mature adult.

There's been great variety of theaters so far in the HT of the month.
This one shows a true LFE enthusiast method to achieve sub 20hz , heck sub 10hz, performance.

Via Mikes brain/thumb interface, LLAP
post #210 of 252 Old 04-10-2014, 05:36 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked: 389
I knew who's setup this belonged to, the moment, I saw the picture pop up on the right side of the screen. Great setup. All those sexy LMS Ultra's. smile.gif
Scott Simonian and notnyt like this.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI & many more.
Klipsch, RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.
Reply Community News & Polls

Tags
Denon Avr 5308ci Receiver , Behringer Nu1000dsp Inuke Power Amplifier , Tc Sounds Lms Ultra 5400 , Sony Playstation 3 60 Gb , Home Theater Of The Month
Gear in this thread - 5308ci by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page