post #211 of 274 Old 04-10-2014, 06:47 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked: 533
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComputerTech0903 View Post

The point is you shouldn't really be listening to your system above 100 decibels anyways heck 90 decibels is loud enough. A power mower is 96 decibels it's just why do you need this I just don't want to receive emails about this I might take myself off the miling list. You dont need 16000 watts of power for 90 decibels either way people will regret their home theater after they lose their hearing good luck.

You are way off on this. Better stay out of any good commercial theater. It takes a lot more power to produce clean transient peaks than you think and those peaks are momentary peaks, not sustained like a lawnmower. Not saying you need 56,000 watts. That is his choice, but a system that can truly play clean reference level peaks in a good room, will sound good at reference level. Also once you start chasing the really low end, you will find it takes a lot of swept area and a lot of power. My system is modest compared to notnyt's system. I run about 10,000 watts (subs and speakers), but I did a demo of my system for customers that wanted to see and here it and I played Oblivion at 3db below reference. Not a single person thought it was too loud. A lot of that wattage and multiple subs, is so that I get get strong bass at single digits. This is bass that you feel, more than you hear. With a system like notnyt has, you do not need bass shakers. Your 18" subs are the bass shakers. smile.gif
BornSlippyZ likes this.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon, DNP & more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Marantz & Yamaha .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #212 of 274 Old 04-10-2014, 10:43 PM
wse
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 578 Post(s)
Liked: 376
Quote:

I just never understood why you'd want to listen to movies at that level. I'm all for fidelity, but I'm also all for OSHA's ear protection recommendations since they're there for a reason. Ringing in your ears is one of the most painful things mine only ring a little though. And I never understood bass heavy systems as I'd want pink noise playing through my system to be flat not having the subwoofers playing loud. No one could hear my subwoofer in my car if you were outside of it with the windows up back in the day. I guess this system could be flat but with 8 18" woofers receiving well over 10,000 watts and 5 speakers being powered by a Denon receiver I'd have to say no.

I'd like to get an email from avs showcasing a great home theater utilizing one or two subwoofers with really nice speakers and a bigger screen an awesome projector and nice recliners that'd make me happy. Something unique beside's ridiculous amounts of bass.

Pick me! Pick me! Pick me! biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif
post #213 of 274 Old 04-11-2014, 02:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnyt View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by jheyau View Post

Just incredible! I must have missed it, Rob, what are the dimensions of your room which allowed you to fit in so many huge subwoofers? Do you have a frequency response graph of your system posted somewhere? Do you listen to music much? I was just imagining what great organ music would sound like in your system!

The "screen wall" is 24 feet or so. It's 25 feet from front wall to back wall.

Rob - notnyt;
What may help people grasp your total HT is a plan view of your space, the speaker/seat layout, including cu ft of space you are filling with bass.
You are at 24 x 25 x 9' (I'm guessing at height) = 5,400 cu ft a huge space to fill! More than twice mine and most others I'm guessing.

I've made this visual sketch to show mine easily, I tried to find one in your thread(s) but not easily to see, if you have can you post it?

Also the freq response graph, can you post an overlay for all your seats on same chart?
This will show people the purpose behind multiple subs at multiple locations, flat freq response at many seat locations.
Plus your waterfall chart to show the effects of your corner bass traps at damping modal freq's within so many ms.
post #214 of 274 Old 04-11-2014, 09:09 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedimastergrant View Post

If you are an EQ master then it may be unnecessary. Most people do not have advanced EQ experience. Glad to hear it is not an issue for you.

Regarding the sealed to ported change. If single digits were not perceptible then it makes perfect sense to me. And if eight 18'' LMS sealed drivers don't get you to meaningful ULF output then it is hard to imagine what would. I have been thinking lately about just how many dB's it really takes in an average sized room to be able to feel something like say 9 Hz.

The Crowson transducers are intriguing. I tried a Butt Shaker and I was kind of on the fence about it. But, a nearby to me avs member (Carp) recently added Crowson transducers to his already capable eight 18"s. I have been to his room many times but he says the Crowson is the way to go if you want to get the ULF effect so I can't wait to try it out.

I am fairly jealous of your huge room. It makes so many things possible.

I know the construction process is a ton of work so congrats again.

Second floor HT and multiple subs, means, no transducers needed. smile.gif

RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Marantz & Yamaha .
post #215 of 274 Old 04-11-2014, 12:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Hello

I hate to come in here Skeptical but the cones and vents on some of the cabinets are distorted to an oval shape; could this be an April Fool's Photoshop hoax?

You can abuse me now :-)

Only the center channel speaker looks real. The horn driver just left of the screen looks all wrong, the center of it is shoved to the right.

--------------------
Tim at E-Tech ooo ehometech@earthlink.net ......your Marquee Pro Shop!
post #216 of 274 Old 04-11-2014, 12:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim in Phoenix View Post

Hello

I hate to come in here Skeptical but the cones and vents on some of the cabinets are distorted to an oval shape; could this be an April Fool's Photoshop hoax?

Only the center channel speaker looks real

There are a lot of other pics you can see. You can also read through the build thread: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1516234/8x-18-lms-5400-ultras-sealed-to-27-cube-15hz-ported-build/0_50

post #217 of 274 Old 04-11-2014, 12:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Okay

So the camera selectively distorts?

--------------------
Tim at E-Tech ooo ehometech@earthlink.net ......your Marquee Pro Shop!
post #218 of 274 Old 04-11-2014, 12:34 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Writer @ AVS

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1753 Post(s)
Liked: 3082
Quote:

Hello

Only the center channel speaker looks real. The horn driver just left of the screen looks all wrong, the center of it is shoved to the right.

That's one of the more amusing posts I've read in a while! Enjoy reading "Perspective distortion (photography) - wikipedia"

Find out more about Mark Henninger at www.imagicdigital.com
post #219 of 274 Old 04-11-2014, 12:44 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Okay

The theater is real.

post #220 of 274 Old 04-11-2014, 12:52 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Writer @ AVS

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1753 Post(s)
Liked: 3082
Quote:

Okay

I photograph architecture for a living, I don't create fake photos. You see pictures with that sort of distortion all the time, especially in movies. That's how wide angle (rectilinear) lenses work when dealing with perspective. The effect can be put to good use—just watch this video (not my video, mind you):

Find out more about Mark Henninger at www.imagicdigital.com
post #221 of 274 Old 04-11-2014, 01:03 PM
wse
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 578 Post(s)
Liked: 376
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post

I photograph architecture for a living, I don't create fake photos. You see pictures with that sort of distortion all the time, especially in movies. That's how wide angle (rectilinear) lenses work when dealing with perspective. The effect can be put to good use—just watch this video:

Cool how do you do that?

post #222 of 274 Old 04-11-2014, 01:16 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I live on Long Island and would love to see that room.
post #223 of 274 Old 04-11-2014, 01:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 308
Quote:
The real answer is: "There's a glitch in the matrix"!

Well as a "Photog" yes lens do distort, unless you pay $$$$ for top-top DLSR lens, and at the edges with wide lens it's more apparent....My Canon "L" lens for example have minimum distortion, while my earlier kit lens had more.

Go to dpreview.com to learn more...
post #224 of 274 Old 04-11-2014, 06:53 PM

Looks amazing!  I get an image of the old Maxell commercials in my head.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B2WcBi9mu6A

post #225 of 274 Old 04-11-2014, 08:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 366 Post(s)
Liked: 529
Quote:
Originally Posted by Activefun View Post

I live on Long Island and would love to see that room.

Drop me a PM.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbdudex View Post

The real answer is: "There's a glitch in the matrix"!

Well as a "Photog" yes lens do distort, unless you pay $$$$ for top-top DLSR lens, and at the edges with wide lens it's more apparent....My Canon "L" lens for example have minimum distortion, while my earlier kit lens had more.

Go to dpreview.com to learn more...

Even top dollar wide angle rectilinear lenses will have distortion around the edge of the shot. The nature of the beast.
post #226 of 274 Old 04-12-2014, 07:26 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 30
I know it may sound great and the picture is great as well, but having to look at all that everyday would stress me out. Just too much for my taste.
post #227 of 274 Old 04-12-2014, 03:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 516 Post(s)
Liked: 1031
Quote:
Originally Posted by keefy6 View Post

I know it may sound great and the picture is great as well, but having to look at all that everyday would stress me out. Just too much for my taste.

Then likely you wouldn't construct one like this although I'm curious how anyone could be stressed out by looking at gear (makes me smile/drool)....but keep in mind with the room darkened you really wouldn't see a lot beyond what's on screen so isn't necessarily all that intimidating smile.gif

"I realize that somebody playing free music isn't as commercial as a hamburger stand. But is it because you can eat a hamburger and hold it in your hand and you can't do that with music? Is it too free to control?" - Don Van Vliet (aka Captain Beefheart) discussing commercial success in the music biz

post #228 of 274 Old 04-13-2014, 10:31 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 49
I am in two minds about it. On the one hand I think it looks downright hideous BUT when its dark and the movie is playing I bet it sounds absolutely fantastic!
post #229 of 274 Old 04-13-2014, 11:46 AM

A few months ago, Rob stunned the DIY-subwoofer community when he decided to switch from sealed to vented subwoofer cabinets...

I wasn't 'stunned' at all.
People can do as they choose.

Nice little rig.
post #230 of 274 Old 04-13-2014, 01:14 PM

I love it as I happen to like the look of speakers! As for accuracy of reproduction doesn't it come down to what sounds good to our ears? Once a soundtrack has made it into our hands it has already been mixed and remixed to satisfy some sound tech's ears so perfection is not achievable with any system.

I too like efficient coupling of bass to the environment of the room. I am not big scale at all but like the efficiency and sound of Karlson enclosures from the 50s. Some love them and some hate them but with modern EQs one can adjust to a sound one likes. Most listeners are impressed with both sound and appearance of Karlsons.
post #231 of 274 Old 04-14-2014, 06:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 216
Quote:

The point is you shouldn't really be listening to your system above 100 decibels anyways heck 90 decibels is loud enough. A power mower is 96 decibels it's just why do you need this I just don't want to receive emails about this I might take myself off the miling list. You dont need 16000 watts of power for 90 decibels either way people will regret their home theater after they lose their hearing good luck.

The difference is your power mower drones on at the same speed.
Any theater, commercial or home has HUGE swings in output from 0 to around 120db. Short bursts/transients is where the power requirements come in.
In a home theater, where the content below 35Hz is actually desirable and is faithfully reproduced, it takes tremendous amounts of power and very capable subs (depending on the environment).
notnyt likes this.

post #232 of 274 Old 04-15-2014, 04:35 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 21
amazing love the subs:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
notnyt likes this.
post #233 of 274 Old 04-16-2014, 04:01 AM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post

Based on what I heard during my visit, I'm confident that Rob's house will explode before his vented subs ever reach their limit. I convinced him to play "Funkenspelunkin Dub" a track I produced specifically for elite subwoofer systems, and I swear I could see the entire house moving up and down as it played—even though it's my own track, I found myself shocked by how intense "Funkenspelunkin Dub" sounded and felt when played through Rob's system. If you are interested in trying the track for yourself, check out my The Truth Hz thread where you'll find a uncompressed 24/96 free download of the track, but please exercise caution when playing it through powerful subwoofers.
I would say that they very definition of a great soundsystem is to play a visitor a track produced by him/her and managing to impress them! smile.gif
notnyt likes this.

I, dabotsonline / Nicholas Polydor, am part of Panasonic UK's 'VIERA VIP Club': a group of six bloggers and forum posters receiving special access to information and events for the TV product range. Costs for activities are covered by Panasonic (no cash is involved). However, I can assure that this will never compromise my integrity or objectivity as an ethical conscience is something I have always and will forever hold very dear to my heart.
post #234 of 274 Old 04-17-2014, 03:10 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I would love to hear anything half this badass! Please tell me where!

The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout "Save us!"... and I'll whisper "no."
post #235 of 274 Old 04-17-2014, 07:30 AM

O * M * G  ! !

post #236 of 274 Old 04-17-2014, 08:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 285
DAMN! That's one hell of an impressive setup.

Sony Bravia KDL-55W900A LED/3D TV.
Sony BDP S6200 3D Blu ray Player.
Sony 5.2-Channel 4K A/V HD Receiver - STRDH540.
Center Channel Speaker: Tivoli Signature Series.
Tower Speakers: Sony SS-MF315's.
Surrounds: Pioneer Satellite Speakers.
post #237 of 274 Old 04-19-2014, 09:44 AM

Breaking Bad!!!
post #238 of 274 Old 04-19-2014, 08:46 PM
AVS Special Member

post #239 of 274 Old 04-19-2014, 11:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnyt View Post

Thinking about adding a bunch of these...

http://www.foambymail.com/CBA/corner-bass-absorbers.html
Perhaps something bigger?
http://realtraps.com/p_megatraps.htm
post #240 of 274 Old 04-19-2014, 11:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Reply Community News & Polls

Tags
Denon Avr 5308ci Receiver , Behringer Nu1000dsp Inuke Power Amplifier , Tc Sounds Lms Ultra 5400 , Sony Playstation 3 60 Gb , Home Theater Of The Month

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page