How Often Do You Go Out to the Movies? - Page 10 - AVS Forum
View Poll Results: How Often Do You Go Out to the Movies?
At least once a week 22 2.66%
Once or twice a month 126 15.24%
A few times a year 440 53.20%
Never 239 28.90%
Voters: 827. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 300 Old 04-13-2014, 11:25 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11

At least once a month but ever since I bought my Smart TV, External Hard Drive loaded with lots of movies and Samsung Home theater, I haven't been going out to watch movies. I'll just sit at home with my kids then I'll just watch any movie that I want :cool:

LDizzle likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 300 Old 04-14-2014, 11:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 29
I rarely go. It's less than once a year. The movie I saw in the theaters was Monsters University. The one before that was, I think, The Simpsons Movie.

Although I watch a lot of movies, I'm just not a big movie fan; and TV for that matter. I spent all the money on my HT for sports. It's just a added bonus it makes watching movies/tv a significantly better experience. Plus, I can't afford to go to all the live games, so I'm trying to get the experience at home I can.

The my issues with the movies, which as many have said several times is the cost, the lack of common courtesy, and the simple inconvenience of it. I've gone to theaters where there were blown woofers, cellphone issues, noisy toddlers at late showings, and so forth. Never mind the lack perspective people have about movies with franchises with any kind of following.

Plus, most of the stuff put out is the same Hollywood crap with a different cover. I'm not knocking the formula, but it's been like that for longer than I've been around.

For me, the experience of going to the theater was significantly diminished when I was able to afford and get nice speakers, HT receiver, and a excellent TV, and good source material.
post #273 of 300 Old 04-15-2014, 03:03 PM

Liked: 10
I go at least once per month and two to three times per month during peak months. I travel 40+ miles just to get to a decent XD screen or IMAX screen for heavy effects laden movies because the LieMAX down the street is a joke. The ignorance of the audience continues to get worse as time goes by. I'm 32 years old and those teenagers on the weekend screenings make me feel twice my age.
post #274 of 300 Old 04-15-2014, 04:19 PM

It is April 2014...the last movie we've seen in a movie theater was Meet the Parents and....by force, my son made us go.

It makes me crazy to hear crackles, crunches, and the like. My wife talks to me during a pivotal point in a hour program and of course, it them one scene that may define the past 45 minutes.

I guess as I get older I'm turning into one of those crotchety old men. wink.gif. Bought one of those Sony 400 DVD changers years back and between it and all the newest streaming and media player.... No need
post #275 of 300 Old 04-15-2014, 05:56 PM

Since moving to a location with a big IMAX 3D within walking distance I've been seeing a lot of movies over the past year.  The experience of 3D IMAX is so substantially better than other theaters I've been to (especially ones with bad 3D screens) that I've re-discovered the whole movie-going experience.  Being able to buy my assigned seat ticket in advance allows me to see every big movie with smack dead center seats every time. I buy the ticket online and print it out, and arrive 5 minutes before the film stars rolling.  It's taken all the pain out of waiting in lines and arriving super early to get good seats.  I have no desire to watch a non-IMAX non-3D movie in the theaters anymore because my home system is usually a better experience and doesn't cost me anything extra.

post #276 of 300 Old 04-16-2014, 01:24 PM

Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by DudeBigalo View Post

Since moving to a location with a big IMAX 3D within walking distance I've been seeing a lot of movies over the past year.  The experience of 3D IMAX is so substantially better than other theaters I've been to (especially ones with bad 3D screens) that I've re-discovered the whole movie-going experience.  Being able to buy my assigned seat ticket in advance allows me to see every big movie with smack dead center seats every time. I buy the ticket online and print it out, and arrive 5 minutes before the film stars rolling.  It's taken all the pain out of waiting in lines and arriving super early to get good seats.  I have no desire to watch a non-IMAX non-3D movie in the theaters anymore because my home system is usually a better experience and doesn't cost me anything extra.

Awesome, this is exactly how I feel. I think a lot of the people who have had bad experiences just need to have an experience like this. Theater technology has not stood still and continues to get better and better all the time.
post #277 of 300 Old 04-16-2014, 01:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirMaster View Post

Awesome, this is exactly how I feel. I think a lot of the people who have had bad experiences just need to have an experience like this. Theater technology has not stood still and continues to get better and better all the time.

IMAX theaters tend to have marginally better bahaved patrons. And that as well as screen size(and sound) are the ONLY reason I would ever attend a movie (my grandchildren demands not withstanding biggrin.gif)

R 8:28

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #278 of 300 Old 04-17-2014, 05:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy View Post

IMAX theaters tend to have marginally better bahaved patrons. And that as well as screen size(and sound) are the ONLY reason I would ever attend a movie (my grandchildren demands not withstanding biggrin.gif)

This is why certain areas become ghetto and other areas become gentrified... Its the natural order of things.

Blazar!
post #279 of 300 Old 04-17-2014, 06:20 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 76
It is a rare film I see in the cinema. I don't mind waiting to see it at home on the 7.2 3D 100" home cinema setup.

Even though it is not dedicated cinema, just my family room, it is still ten times better than the local Cinemaxx here where I live.

post #280 of 300 Old 04-17-2014, 07:00 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 31

Almost never:  As a kid in the late seventies, I went all the time and thanks to Cinema City 7 sometimes three at a time for the price of one.  I followed this practice of going every week (or so) up until about 4 years ago when my kids became teenagers.  Of course as I got older I started to go to the earliest show of the day to avoid the crowds, and I found an upscale theater in which I never had an issue.  Of course, I had a friend who had an issue in the theater about five years ago while he was with me.  We went to see a movie that ended around 8 o'clock (in a almost empty theater) and as we were leaving and about to walk out of the "rope" area, he said he forgot something.  As he was walking back, a kid of about 18 came out with a group and my friend "accidentally" slammed into him with his shoulder and the kid bounced off the wall.  As we were leaving, I questioned him about the incident and he said that the kid had put his foot on his head and had his feet up on my buddy's seat, so my buddy told him to remove his feet from the seat and to stop.  Well junior waited until the end of the movie and kicked my buddy in the back of the head, so a little discipline was administered with the accidental bump.

When I first moved (permanently) to my current area, my wife and I had "down time" while house hunting and we went to Inglorious Bastards (I know it has an e in it) at a local theater (which I would come to hate).  The theater was empty and we got there early so the the theater only had "us" in it.  Another couple came in (they sat three rows up) and right after the movie started two guys (who had the look of guys who still live with their parents) in their twenties or early thirties came in and the "porky" one sat directly  behind me with his friend about 5 seats over.  So the theater had six people and 50 empty seats, and Porky sat behind me.  Of course he put his feet up on my seat, so I eventually told him to move them (and after some attitude,  I added "or I would move him".  He complied but waited until the movie ended to kick my seat as hard as he could and almost sprint out of the theater.  I am not a small guy and my wife always reminds me "it is not worth it" and "to let it go", so I did.  In order to avoid trouble and to be of the safe side, I passed the first restroom and went down the hall to the next.  But, the restroom was connected and I walked right in behind Porky at the urinal.  He turned and saw me and almost bolted from the restroom while trying to zip up.  (Why do guys who were probably "picked on as teenagers" feel so brave.  Both me and my buddy are larger guys, so why start something with us, that could go badly for them and really all of us.)  (Not that there is any thing wrong with "being picked on as a kid"  (I was always smaller in school because I was a year or "three" younger than my classmates) or "living with the parents into middle age" or being "porky".  After a rough winter, I need to drop 20 pounds myself plus I lived in my family's basement just a little two long with grabbing a 2 degree and starting on a 3rd.)

The final straw came at the same local theater when we came out of the Deathly Hallows #1 and our car had been just keyed.  I noticed as I walked out there was a guy in dirty work clothes (who looked out of place for a theater parking lot) beside our car but I had to wait on my handicapped daughter, so I by the time we got to the car the guy had quickly disappeared.  The keying was fresh because a gust of wind blew off several flakes of paint as I stood there.  (We had forgotten the handicapped sign so we had parked near the side door, and my wife had driven, so I know I didn't upset anyone.)  The car is a silver CRV so there were several in the parking lot and I assume it was a case of mistaken identity...but really, a grown man keying a car...what a great addition to our country....  I did not pay the 500 to fix the car and gave it to my daughter to drive in High School since kids are rough on cars.  (Sure enough she hit a car her second week of driving.)

So now, we rarely go to the movies and I refuse to go to the nearby theater (site of the keying) when we do go.  In fact a brand new theater opened 2 miles from the house and I haven't been to it.  The kids (and once in a while, the wife) go in the keyed car occasionally, but even that is now once or twice a year.

I lived in a time when people would slip and smoke in theaters which I hated but still went.  I survived cell phones (actually happened: "Yeah, I can talk...I'm just in a movie.") and rude people, only to be done in a by an idiot.  I would love to go to a theater and have people treat me the way I treat them.  If I could find a such a place, I would go every week, but until I do, I make do with my home theater and wait for the movie to come out to the home market.

post #281 of 300 Old 04-17-2014, 07:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Someone needs to find some executive in a theater company and have them read this thread. It should be abundantly clear to anyone with an IQ above 7 why theater attendance is far from what it could be.

Yet one more example of the few controlling the many

post #282 of 300 Old 04-19-2014, 07:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy View Post

Someone needs to find some executive in a theater company and have them read this thread. It should be abundantly clear to anyone with an IQ above 7 why theater attendance is far from what it could be.

Yet one more example of the few controlling the many

Since this thread was started I've been to the movies five times:

Captain America The Winter Soldier (twice)
Noah
The Raid 2
The Ten Commandments (special re-release)

I have had zero problems with cell phones or people talking during films. One auditorium seemed a bit dimmer than the others, but nothing that ruined my experience.

I'm not sure what a theater executive is supposed to take away from this thread. Lots of people seem to be trying to justify the investment in their equipment. They havent been to a movie in ten years but they hate those crowds and the sound equipment . You shouldnt feel the need to convince us your home theater is awesome and the local movie house is awful. Its your hobby and your place to relax. Part of what makes it great isnt the equipment - its something you worked hard to create and appreciate. You can enjoy seeing a great film on opening night with the rest of us movie lovers every once in a while.

Integration for whole home ATSC, CableCARD, FM radio, Blu-Ray, HD-DVD, DVD, VHS control & capture, video games, and archived & streaming media playback

Restore the initial MLL on a 2009 Panasonic plasma
post #283 of 300 Old 04-19-2014, 07:33 PM

Last movie I went to in a theater was Prometheus in IMAX 3D. I went because I always loved 3D and I'm a big fan of the Alien franchise. Oddly I found the 3D did not really enhance the film. If anything it was just a distraction even tho I enjoyed the movie.

I used to go to movies at least once a week. In the last 5-10 years audience behavior has gotten so completely out of control that I can't tolerate it. I've taken the chance and shushed people a few times and I know it's a very risky thing to do. So the last few times I went I sat there and stewed in frustration while the idiots nearby talked and the movie was completely ruined for me. There's no use fighting it, I gave up.

I have a DVD player and Netflix and a 32" wide screen LCD and a decent sound system. Beats the hell out paying money to be annoyed for 2 hours.
post #284 of 300 Old 04-20-2014, 05:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsoccer33 View Post

Since this thread was started I've been to the movies five times:

Captain America The Winter Soldier (twice)
Noah
The Raid 2
The Ten Commandments (special re-release)

I have had zero problems with cell phones or people talking during films. One auditorium seemed a bit dimmer than the others, but nothing that ruined my experience.

I'm not sure what a theater executive is supposed to take away from this thread. Lots of people seem to be trying to justify the investment in their equipment. They havent been to a movie in ten years but they hate those crowds and the sound equipment . You shouldnt feel the need to convince us your home theater is awesome and the local movie house is awful. Its your hobby and your place to relax. Part of what makes it great isnt the equipment - its something you worked hard to create and appreciate. You can enjoy seeing a great film on opening night with the rest of us movie lovers every once in a while.

Glad you've had pleasurable experiences. I don't and opening night would never be a consideration. As stated, theater management allows obnoxious behavior and I want no part of it - but will go with my grandchildren. Or on VERY very rare occasion to an IMAX presentation.

And I'm not trying to justify my theater. The theater experience can easily far surpass the home theater experience from a social perspective (not audio or video) but not when spoiled and undisciplined patron spoil the experience.

post #285 of 300 Old 04-20-2014, 05:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsoccer33 View Post

I'm not sure what a theater executive is supposed to take away from this thread. Lots of people seem to be trying to justify the investment in their equipment. They havent been to a movie in ten years but they hate those crowds and the sound equipment .

How arrogant and immature. What are you, 13?
You have a nice place to go, lucky you.
You don't know what we have to go through to try to enjoy a movie.

If I don't post a picture of the 3 dozen texters glowing in the theater during my last visit, you think it doesn't happen?
Have you had cherry bombs thrown in your theater and punk goths threaten your family?
Have you had managers tell you too bad, what you see is what you get?

Don't pretend you understand ANYTHING from what is posted here. All you have is your experience. Good for you.

What are theater execs supposed to take away from this thread? That many theaters are unacceptable and have created the home theater market with their lack of attention or their inability to provide an environment fit for movie lovers to attend.
post #286 of 300 Old 04-20-2014, 06:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by reconlabtech View Post

How arrogant and immature. What are you, 13?

Yes exactly. I'm an arrogant and immature 13 year old who has fun going to the movies rolleyes.gif
amatuerholic likes this.

Integration for whole home ATSC, CableCARD, FM radio, Blu-Ray, HD-DVD, DVD, VHS control & capture, video games, and archived & streaming media playback

Restore the initial MLL on a 2009 Panasonic plasma
post #287 of 300 Old 04-23-2014, 02:47 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirMaster View Post

I live in a massive metropolitan area with dozens and dozens of theaters in every direction and nothing even comes CLOSE to the pictures you posted on the earlier page. If there were more theaters like that, then this thread wouldn't even exist. Unfortunately, you seem to be one of the lucky rare few. For the rest of us 99%ers, we get utter crap. At one of the most popular theaters in my area, you can hear outside road traffic while you're watching the movie!!!!!! And this place has LINES AROUND THE BLOCK on opening night. Also, this theater is surrounded by multi-million dollar homes you could only dream of owning. Makes no sense that we can't get a state of the art theater experience.

Boom
post #288 of 300 Old 04-23-2014, 02:50 PM

Liked: 24
Wow. I just assumed that most bigger cities would have a good theater with modern tech and stuff in a decent distance. I guess it is more rare, that really stinks.
post #289 of 300 Old 04-23-2014, 02:55 PM

Liked: 49
I take it back - there is a really nice theater going experience that I can get to...it's just 74 miles away. lol

Boom
post #290 of 300 Old 04-27-2014, 08:48 PM

A few time a year.  If I lived down the street from Grauman's Chinese Theater, maybe more often. :D

post #291 of 300 Old 05-06-2014, 02:56 PM

Liked: 28
I am fortunate enough that my days off work fall during the weekdays. Usually if I go to the movies, I will try to go on cheap Tuesday during the early afternoon. So far this year I have gone out to see two movies.
post #292 of 300 Old 05-07-2014, 11:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 113

I was wondering if we were experiencing "sample bias" since AVSFORUM tends to attract people who are passionate about video or sound quality. So I created a similar poll on fool.com in their "Great Movies" forum (here) and, now that traffic on both polls have slowed down, these are the numbers:

Poll results as of May 7, 2014

Question On AVS On Fool
At Least Once a Week 2% (19 votes) 0% (0 votes)
Once or Twice a Month 15% (119) 12% (6)
A Few Times a Year 53% (427) 65% (31)
Never 28% (227) 21% (10)

Now I'll admit that there may be some "sample bias" based on where I posted the poll on Fool.com (the movie-watching section on an investment web site), but the two sets of results look very similar and I'll have to defer to someone fluent in statistical analysis to let us know if the differences are significant, or just chance variation based on the small sample size on fool.com. A common factor between AVS and Fool may be that we may be self-selecting by being a bit more affluent than average (after all, without some money, you would neither buy a nice TV or home theater, nor invest in the stock market).

I'll note that the results are consistent with my circle of friends: I have one who goes to the movies just about weekly; some who seem to go about monthly, typically for their "date night" with their spouse; and many who go maybe once or twice a year, and that only when there is a movie that they want to see on the big screen or want to go with a group of like-minded individuals. Far more often the friends who go to the movies less often than weekly will watch more movies at home (OTA, cable, Netflix discs or streaming, Red Box).

My very humble setup:
Man Cave:Vizio E500i-A1 "Smart TV" (50-in 1080p 120Hz LED/LCD, has Netflix app.), Blu-ray players (Sony BDP-S3100, old LG BD390), Roku (the original model: N1000), PC (Windows 7), Comcast Internet (25Mbps/5Mbps).
Bedroom:LG 32LV3400-UA TV (32-in 768p 60Hz LED/LCD), HD DVR (Motorola RNG200N), Xfinity Comcast cable (Digital Starter Package), DVD/VHS player.
post #293 of 300 Old 05-10-2014, 01:58 PM

I avoid disturbing the rest of the household late at night by using headphones. In my case I use Sony MDR-V6 phones, available at nominal cost. Their sound is exceptional.

post #294 of 300 Old 05-20-2014, 07:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Still going about 3 to 4 times a month. But now its Sunday mornings vs Friday's. Save money and less people in theater I find.

post #295 of 300 Old 05-20-2014, 01:30 PM

Liked: 20
I'd say at least once a week for me often times twice if there are enoug movies in wide release. I love theaters and can't remember the last time I've had any issues at one. Whether it be noise from the crowd, texters, poor picture or bad sound quality...no issues for me in the last 10 years at least. My local theater (2 miles away) boasts the largest screen in my state complete with dolby atmos. I couldn't be happier. Anyt movie that I enjoyed in the theater I will generally buy on bluray or digital. I do have a decent home theater but nothing replaces the feel of being out at the movies with my friends or kids.
post #296 of 300 Old 05-20-2014, 04:02 PM

I go about once a week. My record is 104 movies in one year, but on average, about 60 a year. I haven't been going to HIFF like before since many movies are scheduled only at night and it has started to lean very Asian. I love Asian films but it's the Hawaii INTERNATIONAL Film Festival, and I'd like to see more European fare.

Although I don't have a fancy set-up at home, I imagine I would still go to the theater if I did. I love to see films right away and not have to wait for the blu-ray.
post #297 of 300 Old 05-20-2014, 05:09 PM
Señor Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked: 304
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post

One of the worst things about commercial theaters has nothing to do with sight or sound or people's manners. It has to do with air conditioning.

Ever wonder why some movie theaters get clammy or smell funky? It's because the HVAC systems are not designed with sufficient fresh air exchange. It costs a lot to cool those big amphitheaters, and it costs a lot less to just recirculate the air that's in there. After a while, the collective sweat of the audiences builds up. No thanks.

Yikes, I hadn't even considered that.eek.gif

I am a once every two years or so go out to the movies person and that is only to IMAX. Before I built the HT it was at least once a month but now, I have better sound, equal or better picture and it's much more comfortable. Mix in gabby and inconsiderate patrons and I have no interest. smile.gif

"Well, la di fricken da."!
post #298 of 300 Old 05-20-2014, 06:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 18

1999, was the last time I went out to the movies, that was the year I put up a projector and had it with the loud soundtracks and still not understanding what people were saying, people constantly talking around us, rattling bags and people hitting the back of the seats.  I'm fortunate enough to have a room dedicated to the pj, great sounding receiver and speakers and tweaked acoustic panels so that the 11.2 speakers each has its role to play that can be heard when appropriate and speech is always crystal clear no matter how loud I play it.

My wife and I enjoy having our dinner with the movie, sitting in our sloppy comfortable clothing in seats that are far more comfortable than any theater seating I've sat in, have an intermission for BR break and to get dessert for the second half of the movie.

post #299 of 300 Old 05-20-2014, 06:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 498
Not quite never, but less than once a year.

post #300 of 300 Old 05-27-2014, 11:02 PM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark12547 View Post

I was wondering if we were experiencing "sample bias" since AVSFORUM tends to attract people who are passionate about video or sound quality. So I created a similar poll on fool.com in their "Great Movies" forum (here) and, now that traffic on both polls have slowed down, these are the numbers:

Poll results as of May 7, 2014

Question On AVS On Fool
At Least Once a Week 2% (19 votes) 0% (0 votes)
Once or Twice a Month 15% (119) 12% (6)
A Few Times a Year 53% (427) 65% (31)
Never 28% (227) 21% (10)

Now I'll admit that there may be some "sample bias" based on where I posted the poll on Fool.com (the movie-watching section on an investment web site), but the two sets of results look very similar and I'll have to defer to someone fluent in statistical analysis to let us know if the differences are significant, or just chance variation based on the small sample size on fool.com. A common factor between AVS and Fool may be that we may be self-selecting by being a bit more affluent than average (after all, without some money, you would neither buy a nice TV or home theater, nor invest in the stock market).

I'll note that the results are consistent with my circle of friends: I have one who goes to the movies just about weekly; some who seem to go about monthly, typically for their "date night" with their spouse; and many who go maybe once or twice a year, and that only when there is a movie that they want to see on the big screen or want to go with a group of like-minded individuals. Far more often the friends who go to the movies less often than weekly will watch more movies at home (OTA, cable, Netflix discs or streaming, Red Box).

Interesting

That's really a low turnout.
Reply Community News & Polls

Tags
Polls

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page