How Often Do You Go Out to the Movies? - Page 4 - AVS Forum
View Poll Results: How Often Do You Go Out to the Movies?
At least once a week 22 2.66%
Once or twice a month 126 15.25%
A few times a year 440 53.27%
Never 238 28.81%
Voters: 826. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 300 Old 04-06-2014, 06:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 48
It is apparent that most of those AVS members who decided to vote in the poll are not movie goers. Lucky thing, because the movie industry would collapse, if they were representative of movie goers. All kinds of rationales for not seeing a movie, but the bottom line is that those who do not go out to see a movie on a big screen, with premium theaters or even normal theaters, are missing a lot more than they think. Sometimes, it will make no difference, but those who take this point of view are missing a lot and don't know it and don't seem to care.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 300 Old 04-06-2014, 06:53 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Well all the teenagers will be going to the theaters still, it's not like they want to be caught kissing by their parents, haha.

post #93 of 300 Old 04-06-2014, 07:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by fookoo_2010 View Post

All kinds of rationales for not seeing a movie, but the bottom line is that those who do not go out to see a movie on a big screen, with premium theaters or even normal theaters, are missing a lot more than they think. Sometimes, it will make no difference, but those who take this point of view are missing a lot and don't know it and don't seem to care.
Please point out exactly what (good things) that I am missing out on by not going to a commercial cinema. You seem to think it's perfectly obvious, but it's not at all to me.
post #94 of 300 Old 04-06-2014, 07:54 PM

Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by A9X-308 View Post

Please point out exactly what (good things) that I am missing out on by not going to a commercial cinema. You seem to think it's perfectly obvious, but it's not at all to me.

People don't buy movie tickets, studios don't make money, movies don't get made.

I think that's his point.

post #95 of 300 Old 04-06-2014, 08:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amatuerholic View Post

People don't buy movie tickets, studios don't make money, movies don't get made.

I think that's his point.
Other people will go, and they'll still make money from ticket sales as well as DVD/BR releases (sales and rentals); the majority of the public are not AV enthusiasts like us with their own actual HT's. Based upon my own circle of associates, almost no one I know has anything more than a big LCD. The studios can't be too unhappy with the amount of sales that make from discs from me even if they get no ticket sales.

Anyhoo, I read it as I was missing something from the experience by not going to the cinema and wondered what that might be.
post #96 of 300 Old 04-06-2014, 08:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 309
I only go for the biggest releases that I can neither wait for from excitement or fact that by the time it releases on bluray most of the film will the be spoiled by extended trailers and social gossip.

Pioneer Elite SC-71 - Polk RT20P (w/ 4 8" subs) - Polk CS245i center - Polk Monitor 75T
Custom MartySub, 18" Dayton 460 7cuft' cabinet w/ Inuke3000dsp at 1400 watts over 200lb! For sale : (
Toshiba 55" LED - HTPC - Wii U - Sony BDP-S1100 - Monster HTS3500
post #97 of 300 Old 04-06-2014, 09:51 PM
Bass Enabler

Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 637
Wow! Most here don't even go to the movies but "a few times a year"?

lee-trevino-happy-gilmore-o.gif

I see something almost every week.

My Dual 18" LLT subs 120dB down to 10hz

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

https://soundcloud.com/plan9reloaded/sets/podcast - direct pod link

http://plan9reloaded.com/site/ - main website

post #98 of 300 Old 04-06-2014, 10:16 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 488 Post(s)
Liked: 607
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Simonian View Post

Yup, lucky if I average one movie a month. So I try to make it count (big screen, Atmos, etc).

Sanjay
post #99 of 300 Old 04-06-2014, 10:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

......Anyhoo, I read it as I was missing something from the experience by not going to the cinema and wondered what that might be.

If you don't see something, how would you know? It is your choice.
post #100 of 300 Old 04-06-2014, 10:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

A simple direct answer would have been preferred. What then, in your opinion experience does one miss by not going to a commercial cinema?
post #101 of 300 Old 04-06-2014, 10:30 PM

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:

Yes, so far about 79% of the votes are either few times a year or never.

In my case, when I got my first big-screen HDTV (46-in), my theater-going dropped instantly. I wouldn't be at all surprised if many others had the same experience, even without a home theater room.

Also, this site tends to cater to those who have or want larger or better quality equipment, which reduces the difference in enjoyment between the home big screen and the theater big screen, so that many of us just don't get out as often as we used to. The result is that the voting sample of this site is somewhat self-selective and not representative of the public at large.

AaronMK likes this.

My very humble setup:
Man Cave:Vizio E500i-A1 "Smart TV" (50-in 1080p 120Hz LED/LCD, has Netflix app.), Blu-ray players (Sony BDP-S3100, old LG BD390), Roku (the original model: N1000), PC (Windows 7), Comcast Internet (25Mbps/5Mbps).
Bedroom:LG 32LV3400-UA TV (32-in 768p 60Hz LED/LCD), HD DVR (Motorola RNG200N), Xfinity Comcast cable (Digital Starter Package), DVD/VHS player.
post #102 of 300 Old 04-06-2014, 10:31 PM

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:

Quote:

A simple direct answer would have been preferred. What then, in your opinion experience does one miss by not going to a commercial cinema?

For me, it is a high-pitch ringing in my ears! :D

My very humble setup:
Man Cave:Vizio E500i-A1 "Smart TV" (50-in 1080p 120Hz LED/LCD, has Netflix app.), Blu-ray players (Sony BDP-S3100, old LG BD390), Roku (the original model: N1000), PC (Windows 7), Comcast Internet (25Mbps/5Mbps).
Bedroom:LG 32LV3400-UA TV (32-in 768p 60Hz LED/LCD), HD DVR (Motorola RNG200N), Xfinity Comcast cable (Digital Starter Package), DVD/VHS player.
post #103 of 300 Old 04-06-2014, 10:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 179
Quote:

It is apparent that most of those AVS members who decided to vote in the poll are not movie goers. Lucky thing, because the movie industry would collapse, if they were representative of movie goers. All kinds of rationales for not seeing a movie, but the bottom line is that those who do not go out to see a movie on a big screen, with premium theaters or even normal theaters, are missing a lot more than they think. Sometimes, it will make no difference, but those who take this point of view are missing a lot and don't know it and don't seem to care.

This is BS.

HT enthusiasts who rarely go to theaters still know exactly what constitutes the theatrical experience. We know better than most moviegoers what movies should look and sound like. We also know what enhances our experience, and what detracts from it. We are missing nothing that we don't wish, and choose, to miss.

There is no big mystery here, no secret dimension of theatrical filmgoing that we deny ourselves by staying away from commercial cinemas.

Wide Awake

on the Edge

of the World

post #104 of 300 Old 04-06-2014, 10:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

A large screen and something like Dolby Atmos.
AaronMK likes this.
post #105 of 300 Old 04-06-2014, 11:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I've already got a 100" screen which gives me a better viewing angle than most commercial cinema screens in my room. I've not experienced Atmos, so I'll take that under advisement and seek to try it out when possible (just checked: one site 800kms away). I already have better speakers than most cinemas and certainly a lot more subwooferage (especially considering the cubic volume of my room) and am about to order some Crowsons.

A better screen and projector are planned for after the kitchen renovation, but what I have now doesn't really have me screaming for better.
Thanks for the reply.
post #106 of 300 Old 04-06-2014, 11:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Went and saw captain america winter soldier today. Movie was good but sound and video were well below my home theater. Crowded and even with theater seating my view was impacted. I only go for social reasons 3-4 times a year
oneeyeblind likes this.
post #107 of 300 Old 04-06-2014, 11:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 179
Quote:

We all understand the geometry of screen size vs resolution, and therefore understand what we're getting and what we're not getting.

And while I enjoyed my experience in an Atmos-equipped theater when I was in LA last fall, there isn't one in the entire metropolitan Philadelphia area, or within an hour of the overwhelming majority of Americans.

And that's the thing. When we choose to avoid theaters, we only have the choice of avoiding the theaters we can actually get to. Most of which are crap.
oneeyeblind and dnoonie like this.

Wide Awake

on the Edge

of the World

post #108 of 300 Old 04-06-2014, 11:31 PM
Bass Enabler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark12547 View Post

Yes, so far about 79% of the votes are either few times a year or never.

In my case, when I got my first big-screen HDTV (46-in), my theater-going dropped instantly. I wouldn't be at all surprised if many others had the same experience, even without a home theater room.

Also, this site tends to cater to those who have or want larger or better quality equipment, which reduces the difference in enjoyment between the home big screen and the theater big screen, so that many of us just don't get out as often as we used to. The result is that the voting sample of this site is somewhat self-selective and not representative of the public at large.

Umm, yeah. I get it. I've been here for a decade.

That said it still surprises me that so little people (who voted) don't go more often like I do. At least once a month, even.

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

post #109 of 300 Old 04-06-2014, 11:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 723
Quote:

Umm, yeah. I get it. I've been here for a decade.

That said it still surprises me that so little people (who voted) don't go more often like I do. At least once a month, even.

If I lived closer last bunch of years it might have gotten me into the theater more often. Since late 2006 the closest I lived to a reasonably good theater was a 30-40 minute drive in the best of traffic (SF bay area) and in the other two houses about 45 miles each way like now (gets expensive quick just in gas!). Most of the times I've been to the movies the last 15 years or so were accounted for by LOTR/Hobbit....
Scott Simonian likes this.

post #110 of 300 Old 04-06-2014, 11:58 PM
Bass Enabler

Good point, sir.

I have several very good cinemas within short driving distance from home.

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

post #111 of 300 Old 04-07-2014, 01:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
got to go see some kids movies in summer, and then a few blockbusters as well. Wife still enjoy a night out, and I guess the atmosphere is definitely different and can't be replicated at home (unless you want to invite a few dozens of folks around, which I don't have that space)....
post #112 of 300 Old 04-07-2014, 01:38 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Travel and expense vs quality is the major decision point for me.
In short the ONLY theater i can get to is not atmos or IMAX it's a 25-30 minute drive and in norway our gas prices are aprox trippel that of the US, once you get there parking is both nightmarish and the first point of gauging, easily 15$ just in parking the other option is to walk 5km to to train station and back again.
Which would work fine, but if I'm going to sit still for two hours in a crowd I'd rather not be drenched in sweat.
The tickets themselves are another 20$ per person maybe more for 3d which I would consider paying not to have :-P

Only thing I think I'm missing from going to the theater is a bill for 150$ and a headache.

yup, never seems like the appropriate amount of movie going.
post #113 of 300 Old 04-07-2014, 04:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 101
I have not been inside a movie theater since 2007 and even then is was headed down hill rapidly, one can only imagine with today's millennials unable to stay unconnected for more than a few seconds how annoying it must be to spend that kind of money to only have to deal with the rude people talking and checking their phones every 5 seconds. It does not bother me to wait for the current titles to hit Netflix as my queues is long enough that I still can;t get caught up a the titles hit Netflix. I turn a BD around at least 6 times a month, rip it native and then can stream at my leisure via my Oppo in all its native BD glory. Not only have I not been to the movies but I don't even have to get up to put a disc in the Oppo to see my BD library. And in the last 3 years I think I have purchased only a handful of BDs as well.
post #114 of 300 Old 04-07-2014, 06:47 AM
Senior Writer @ AVS

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 668 Post(s)
Liked: 1691

I am done with commercial movie theaters. The audience is annoying, the volume is too loud, and overall sound quality suffers. Oftentimes, image quality is also not up to snuff. Only a few seats in any given theater are optimal and there's no guarantee of getting those seats.

I prefer home theater. I wish that movies came out on video at the same time as the theatrical release.

Find out more about Mark Henninger at www.imagicdigital.com
post #115 of 300 Old 04-07-2014, 07:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 192
My "home theater" isn't a theater, just an htpc, 5.1 surround, and 50" Panasonic S1 plasma on the top floor of a condo building. So maybe that tempers my home viewing expectations, but I love going to the theater.

There are lots of movies this summer I'm really excited to see - why would I want to wait until next fall or winter to discuss them with friends, coworkers, or online? I saw Winter Soldier Thursday night - it was a great evening. My date showed up in an Avengers tshirt and we had dinner and drinks before the show. We had reserved seats, so no need to show up two hours early. We got there and saw lots of people dressed up and really exited to see the film. All of that added to it being a great night out. Not just a great movie, or a great audio mix, or great seats - just a great night out. And I can participate in the film now in a way I couldn't if I waited for it to be released in September or October.

Most of the theaters near me have discounted tickets at least one day during the week. Tonight I could see a movie for $6 and get a free small popcorn. Thats not a very expensive evening out for a family.

There also aren't many films that come out on video at this time of year. So if you want to see a great newer film the theater is the best place to find one.

In Pittsburgh we have a lot of new-ish theaters (built since 2000) so the overall quality of the projectors and audio systems seems to be pretty good. I don't notice sound bleeding in from other auditoriums, and I can only think of one time in the last 10 years where an anoying patron interrupted the film for me.

We also have a few historic old movie houses that do different events like Sunday brunch and a classic film. Its a fun way to see great movies and meet other people with an appreciation for cinema history.

My HTPC front end set up
Integration for whole home ATSC, CableCARD, FM radio, Blu-Ray, HD-DVD, DVD, VHS control & capture, video games, and archived & streaming media playback
Mironto's Panasonic plasma black level restoration guide
Restore the initial MLL on a 2009 Panasonic plasma
post #116 of 300 Old 04-07-2014, 08:49 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Five28 View Post

"I just can't stand people talking and checking their phones during a movie (worst if they starting talking on the phone)."

This ^^^^. Plus, there always seem to be fools in the seats directly behind that enjoy kicking the back of your seat. Manners and common courtesy are things of the past, and it is obvious that the unwashed masses have taken over the cinema. No thanks. Even though I have a popcorn maker I still miss the smell of freshly popped theater popcorn.

Both of these! The kicking of the back seat was my biggest complaint. Because of the seat kicking I had to start sitting in the back row. The movie theater just isn't enjoyable in today's society especially at the ticket price they charge. For the price I would pay for my wife and kid to go, I can buy it on blu-ray and save money. The theater sound isn't that good when you factor in people texting, talking, kicking your seat and opening plastic wrapped candy.
post #117 of 300 Old 04-07-2014, 08:59 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Will never forget this: Went to see a movie, the next to the last one, and these kids were discussing it as they has seen it. And they were talking spoilers. I turned around and said can you please stop, I have not yet seen this. They both stood up and stated, 'were gonna get my dad"
15 minutes later here comes the dad looking to beat me up for talking to his kid. I walked out, with a really bad taste in my craw for theaters. There was nothing to say, other than call the cops or shut the F up! I then had to act as if I was going to call them, and he stepped off. A letter to the theater got me 2 free passes that I tossed out.
When I was a kid I was at the movies every weekend, I loved going there-now forget it!
What is needed are ushers again, but dad would probably beat him up too!

piss off then
post #118 of 300 Old 04-07-2014, 09:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 50
I've gone three or four times in the last year for purely social reasons. Every time was a disappointment.
post #119 of 300 Old 04-07-2014, 09:34 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
maybe once a year - and more for the kids sake - but with the high costs and lower quality, imo, i would rather spend $20 on a bd a few months after the first theater release and enjoy my own comfy theater, with my affordable food and the great sound and image quality that the theater is usually lacking. and the premiums charged for things like imax are not worth the cost -
post #120 of 300 Old 04-07-2014, 10:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Going to the commercial cinemas is not enjoyable anymore. I waited for Gravity after failing to attend the initial release. It has been mentioned by others the total disregard for others inside the theater. My home system surpasses the audio of all of the theaters I have attended. Some of us have built dedicated rooms that are acoustically treated and measured to the Nth degree for speaker placement accuracy. I'm using the same monitors that a certain engineer used to mix several award winning soundtracks! I have heard the well mixed soundtracks sound so holographic in my room it is scary. That won't happen in a large theater. The reason we now have Dolby Atmos as mentioned before. I have not experienced it yet and doubt I would be able to enjoy it totally due to phone screens activating around me distracting me.

"Music is my religion"
Jimi Hendrix

Reply Community News & Polls

Tags
Polls

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page