How Often Do You Go Out to the Movies? - Page 7 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

View Poll Results: How Often Do You Go Out to the Movies?
At least once a week 22 2.65%
Once or twice a month 126 15.20%
A few times a year 441 53.20%
Never 240 28.95%
Voters: 829. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 300 Old 04-08-2014, 11:15 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 53
There are a few cinema and drafthouse-type places near me but they don't get new releases. Yes, you sit in nicer chairs, have a table and wait service. However, the tickets are cheap because the beer and food is expensive and no better than what you'd get at a regular theater.

There's also an independent theater near me, smaller theater and they serve slightly better concession food and draft beers, but you're not going to see mainstream releases...

The whole point of investing in HT stuff is to NOT have to suffer the masses and enjoy your home more.

My gf's argument is that you miss the movie going experience, which apparently comes with some kind of sense of community, and being around all these people sharing and reacting to something new.

No thanks. Plus, with shootings now happening in theaters...sorry, not worth my time or my life putting up with society just to see something 3 months early.
oneeyeblind likes this.

Boom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 300 Old 04-08-2014, 11:19 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I started to check once in a while and then realized that in truth, I'm in as a never. Once the theater was built, I stopped buying tickets to shows and started really buying the Blu-rays for my library, and making my own popcorn using real oil and real popcorn, none of that microwave stuff.
post #183 of 300 Old 04-08-2014, 11:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 536 Post(s)
Liked: 450
I used to go more frequently, but ever since I had to sacrifice one shoe that became permanently adhered to the floor, I've cut back appreciably. That and I'm still finishing the large soda I bought in a year and a half ago...

Thrang's Theater: Sony VPLVW-1100 - Bowers & Willkins 800/802/803/HTM2D D2 Diamond - JL Audio Fathom 113 - Lumagen 2143 - Marantz 8802 - Parasound Halo JC1/A51/A23 - Oppo 103 - Dune Smart B1/Synology 20TB NAS - DirecTV Genie - TiVo Roamio - Apple TV - PS4 • Audio: Sennheiser HD800 - Oppo HA1 - Kef LS50 - iTunes/Pure Music - iMac 5k • Last Watched: The Godfather - Last Listened: King Crimson "Discipline"
post #184 of 300 Old 04-08-2014, 11:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I will only go out to a movie if it is playing at the Airbus Imax Theatre at the Smithsonian Air and Space Museum in Chantilly, VA.

Reasons:
1. Largest Imax screen in Virginia if not the East Coast.
2. No 20 minutes of Coming Attractions and ads.
3. No screaming kids and babies
4. No room glowing with 50 plus people texting the entire time the movie is playing.
5. I have my own home theatre with 1100 watts of 5.1 sound and 300 watts of subwoofer and an 8 foot screen 10 feet away from me.

My son came home from college and went with friends to see a movie with his friends. When he came home he looked at me with a disgusted look on his face and told me he should have waited to see it at home.

Theater is all about immersion and sound. If you need lots of people and other things not related to the presentation, you like to go out and get in a crowd, the theatre is just another place for you to do that.

Front Projection Enthusiast
Optoma HD70 - November 2006 to March 2015
BenQ W1070 - March 2015 ...
post #185 of 300 Old 04-08-2014, 11:53 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 203
Hi guys,

I voted never although I do go maybe once or twice a year to a commercial theater with my girlfriend when there's something one of us wants to see really bad, you know, a guilty pleasure hear and there. It can be fun for the "experience".

I work at Warner Bros. and see many movies here on the lot but they are private screenings and occasionally I can bring a guest. The theaters here are outstanding, especially the SJR theater but I only go because 1: they are free for employees, 2: very few outsiders so there is respect in the theater, 3: no food or drinks allowed so no noisy wrappers or sticky floors and 4: did I mention they are free for employees?

I'm a very "budget" kind of guy so I do enjoy the screenings on the lot but I prefer to watch movies at home in my "budget" theater watching "budget" blu-ray's I bought used at local record stores. I would definitely go so far as to say my theater is "budget" but with high end gear as I've worked in post houses during my entire career and have accumulated some pretty awesome gear on a...uh..."budget". tongue.gif

I already have my older version of my "budget" theater here on AVS but since I recently changed a few things, I'm going to update it and maybe the moderators would be interested in spotlighting a real high end "budget" home theater, nudge, nudge, wink, wink! biggrin.gif

Now, where's that remote?

post #186 of 300 Old 04-08-2014, 01:10 PM

Great question, had to remember the last film seen in a theater. Pretty sure is was "Children of Men" and that would be eight years ago. Waiting for the Blu-ray release seems absolutely normal and is no longer a concern. I have about $20,000.00 invested in my Home Theater and unconditionally prefer the Home Theater experience to the Theater experience. Every aspect of Home Theater is better: Ambiance, comfort, food, audio, video, cleanliness, able to pause and rewind, and very important (no one talking, texting, sneezing, walking in front, finding seat after film has started, or any other silly things people do in theaters). At home if anything silly erupts just pause and rewind if necessary.

Have to give Theater screen size, but sitting 10 feet from a 70 inch 1080P Plasma is pretty, pretty similar. All things considered there is no reason to visit the Cineplex and spend $40.00 to $50.00 for a far lesser experience.
post #187 of 300 Old 04-08-2014, 01:14 PM

I am now nearly 77 and my hearing is getting worse (tinnitus). Auditoriums and especially any large room that is full of echos and reverbs, is almost painful these days. Therefore I reserve my cinema experiences to special features, 3D, Hobbit, etc. Once a month or so, a couple of older friends will invite me to something and we meet an hour or so before the film to have breakfast or lunch. We are going to 'The Grand Budapest Hotel' this next Thursday.

Therefore I am spending more time viewing features at home on my new Samsung 60" smart TV. I have an all-regions, all-zones Blu-ray Sony player and a Sony receiver/amplifier and am building a library of Blu-ray titles that will be replacing my DVD collection. I can set the sound level wherever, since my partner is all but deaf and the dog just leaves the room.

post #188 of 300 Old 04-08-2014, 01:43 PM

About once a year, if that lately. I usually just go for the major blockbuster releases for me or if someone else is dragging me there to see something they want to watch.

At home I have, no audience interruptions (walking in front of you or on/checking their phone) , better balanced surround sound and I can rewind and pause when I missed something.

I generally watch Netflix (streaming and discs) and occasionally buy Blu-rays of very highly rated movies to watch.
post #189 of 300 Old 04-08-2014, 01:45 PM

My wife and I haven't been to a movie theater in several years! We have been a few times aboard cruise ships, but even there it is not really enjoyable. We are in our seventies and the sound is so loud in today's movies we have to use ear plugs to make it bearable. It seems that the younger generations have ruined their hearing with loud music and the theaters make the audio volume loud for them?
post #190 of 300 Old 04-08-2014, 01:56 PM

I live in Austin, TX and there's a chain of theaters here called Alamo Drafthouse. Fortunately for many others out there they are expanding to lots of other cities in the US. The point is that they don't allow talking or texting or bothering your neighbors in any way. If you do you are kicked out without a refund. Before every movie starts there is a 'public service announcement' stating this policy. As a result the movie going experience is fantastic! There's also some other amazing things about going to the Alamo. First, they have a decent food menu that you order from your seats and they bring the food out to you. They also have a full bar that includes about 60-80 different beers. And all seats are reserved so you order online and get to the movie and go right to your seat, so you always know exactly where you're going to sit at the time of purchase. If this all seems awesome its because it is. The Alamo is on a mission to save the movie-going experience and they do a great job. We have other theater chains here in Austin too but I refuse to go to any of those because of the exact reasons that you mentioned.

If you want a laugh, check out this public service announcement about talking that the Alamo created, which features a young woman who got kicked out and called back and left an angry message. It's priceless!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1L3eeC2lJZs

And here is a link to the Alamo to see if they are in your city, or coming to your city soon. BTW, I don't work for them or get paid by them in any way. I'm just a fan of their awesomeness!

http://drafthouse.com/
post #191 of 300 Old 04-08-2014, 02:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 906 Post(s)
Liked: 588
Now that is the kind of theater I might attend for a dinner/movie date night. The woman who was kicked out certainly had a limited vocabulary. For her sake, I hope she was drunk, as that is curable. Stupid -- not so much!!

Our Theater

FS: PurePower 1050 Regenerator/Conditioner - Price Reduced

Obsessed is just a word the ill-informed use to describe the dedicated
post #192 of 300 Old 04-08-2014, 02:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 412 Post(s)
Liked: 422
Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy View Post

Now that is the kind of theater I might attend for a dinner/movie date night. The woman who was kicked out certainly had a limited vocabulary. For her sake, I hope she was drunk, as that is curable. Stupid -- not so much!!

+1! I wish Alamo would come here!
AaronMK likes this.

October HorrorFest Participant
post #193 of 300 Old 04-08-2014, 02:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 101
I haven't been to a movie house in over 10 years.
post #194 of 300 Old 04-08-2014, 02:51 PM

Few times a year for me, I don't care much for large crowds so I tend to go mid-week at least a week or so after a movie I want to see has come out.  I only go see the big action flicks to be honest, comedy's, dramas anything else I wait for blu-ray/dvd or netflix.

post #195 of 300 Old 04-08-2014, 03:09 PM

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 44
I tried it a couple of weeks ago at my wife's suggestion. (Monuments Men) I think she wanted to relive running into George Matt & Hugh when she was out shopping. The food and wine were nice before the film but I was very conscious of poor black levels, poor image quality and the sound being lopsided. Not up to my Kuro's standard. Came away wishing I'd waited until the BD release. Still, nice to see our local beach in the film and the WW2 lorries trundling past the house, and I enjoyed the remarkable story.
post #196 of 300 Old 04-08-2014, 03:13 PM

Liked: 14
Even though I have a $45k home theater with 80" Sharp LED LCD and 19 speaker system (yes, 19! with 8 separate 15" Velodyne subwoofers two in each of the four corners, etc.) I still used to go to theaters to enjoy the large IMAX screen movies and was willing to pay the outrageous ticket prices.

This ended two years ago when they replaced the real film projectors with DLP projectors. I complained to AMC Chain and they confirmed my suspicions regarding the switch. They said "nobody else complained", so they think it's OK. They explained that they don't have to ship physical reels of film to each theater because the movie is now downloaded to the DLP projector at "high resolution" and runs unattended. They don't have to ship the reels back, etc. so there is a huge cost saving factor when physical reels were eliminated.

I wouldn't have minded if the resolution was the same as film or if the brightness and color saturation was the same as film. But the crappy DLP projector looks like 20 year old technology. It was so dim that I could barely watch it. The contrast was so washed out, it looked like the TV's of the sixties with a bad picture tube.

Now I have two BR changers (Sony BDP-CX7000ES) holds 400 BR DVD's each, I have a DLNA network setup to my computer that has four 4tb drives (16tb total) over 1,500 movies to stream to my Sharp TV, so what else could I want.

My 2 rows of HT seats are only 9ft. & 12ft. from the 80" screen, so the immersion effect is the same as IMAX sitting in the middle rows of the theater. The theory is if your field of vision is filled with the screen, it's the same effect as an IMAX screen. I also noticed that once you are watching a movie, your eyes tend to eliminate the peripheral information and you no longer pay attention to extraneous information beyond the screen.
RoyMacDonald likes this.
post #197 of 300 Old 04-08-2014, 03:53 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Former Austinite - posted that 1 page ago also. Alamo is great

I live in Austin, TX and there's a chain of theaters here called Alamo Drafthouse. Fortunately for many others out there they are expanding to lots of other cities in the US. The point is that they don't allow talking or texting or bothering your neighbors in any way. If you do you are kicked out without a refund. Before every movie starts there is a 'public service announcement' stating this policy. As a result the movie going experience is fantastic! There's also some other amazing things about going to the Alamo. First, they have a decent food menu that you order from your seats and they bring the food out to you. They also have a full bar that includes about 60-80 different beers. And all seats are reserved so you order online and get to the movie and go right to your seat, so you always know exactly where you're going to sit at the time of purchase. If this all seems awesome its because it is. The Alamo is on a mission to save the movie-going experience and they do a great job. We have other theater chains here in Austin too but I refuse to go to any of those because of the exact reasons that you mentioned.

If you want a laugh, check out this public service announcement about talking that the Alamo created, which features a young woman who got kicked out and called back and left an angry message. It's priceless!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1L3eeC2lJZs

And here is a link to the Alamo to see if they are in your city, or coming to your city soon. BTW, I don't work for them or get paid by them in any way. I'm just a fan of their awesomeness!

http://drafthouse.com/
post #198 of 300 Old 04-08-2014, 03:59 PM

Liked: 80
Usually only went for the summer blockbuster action films and a few in late fall that are just good. However, now that we've just moved to Atlanta, I think I'll be spending more time and $$ at the theater. Near us, we have a couple of very nice, yet expensive AMC theaters. One has IMAX and Dolby Atmos, while another is smaller with full recliners. The IMAX theater has the recliners also.

Watched Captain America this past weekend in non-3D, but in a full reclining theater. Yes, I have a similar seating arraignment at home, but with the space, great popcorn, plus the tremendous upgrade from my old Carmike and RAVE theaters in Alabama, the "new toy" feeling likely won't wear off all year. They even have one of those Fork & Screen joints about a mile from me.
post #199 of 300 Old 04-08-2014, 04:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 906 Post(s)
Liked: 588
Quote:
Originally Posted by BAMABLUHD View Post

Usually only went for the summer blockbuster action films and a few in late fall that are just good. However, now that we've just moved to Atlanta, I think I'll be spending more time and $$ at the theater. Near us, we have a couple of very nice, yet expensive AMC theaters. One has IMAX and Dolby Atmos, while another is smaller with full recliners. The IMAX theater has the recliners also.

Watched Captain America this past weekend in non-3D, but in a full reclining theater. Yes, I have a similar seating arraignment at home, but with the space, great popcorn, plus the tremendous upgrade from my old Carmike and RAVE theaters in Alabama, the "new toy" feeling likely won't wear off all year. They even have one of those Fork & Screen joints about a mile from me.

Where is the Atmos theater?

Our Theater

FS: PurePower 1050 Regenerator/Conditioner - Price Reduced

Obsessed is just a word the ill-informed use to describe the dedicated
post #200 of 300 Old 04-08-2014, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy View Post

Where is the Atmos theater?
It's a new Dolby sound system for theaters. More surround, a lot louder, lots of depth. Saw Noah in it and it was very impressive. AMC markets it as AMC Prime.
post #201 of 300 Old 04-08-2014, 04:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 263
I think he wanted to know where, not what.

Five seconds of googling reveals...
Regal Atlantic Station Stadium 16

Wide Awake

on the Edge

of the World

post #202 of 300 Old 04-08-2014, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdclark View Post

I think he wanted to know where, not what.

Five seconds of googling reveals...
Regal Atlantic Station Stadium 16
You are correct, I read too fast. The Atmos is at North Point Mall AMC 12 in Alpharetta. Definitely worth the 11 mile drive up GA 400 from my home
post #203 of 300 Old 04-08-2014, 04:47 PM
wse
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 964 Post(s)
Liked: 511

No more movies at the local cineplex even for ATMOS! I am waiting for ATMOS in my HT, and watch blu ray at least I won't blast my ears to the point of pain :o

post #204 of 300 Old 04-08-2014, 05:03 PM

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimeran View Post

Question:

Would some people on here be more inclined to go to a movie theater if they served homemade candy and fresh gourmet popcorn rather than your normal candy and buttered popcorn?

No, I'd prefer fresh bread with spiced olive oil (what I do when I watch a movie on my HT).  But I still lean towards watching my HT.

post #205 of 300 Old 04-08-2014, 05:22 PM

I voted never on this poll as my hearing has gotten bad enough that I am only able to watch movies with closed captioning, so I wait for them to come out on disc, and rent or buy them.

Tom.

Now, we can do this the hard way, or... well, actually there's just the hard way.
-- Buffy Summers (Buffy the Vampire Slayer)
post #206 of 300 Old 04-08-2014, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsoccer33 View Post

A lot of people are complaining about picture quality. What is it you're seeing (or not seeing)?

These projectors cost what, $100,000+? And god knows what the screens cost. I know a few forum members have that kind of commercial or prosumer gear but I bet most others are definitely in the <$5000 consumer space.

What about the commercial projector systems looks inferior?

A vary good 2D, not top of the line, projector at $100,000 without a lens would be a good deal.

I've seen the left side in focus and not the right, I've seen the top in focus and not the bottom, I've seen the center 10 feet in focus and everything else blurry.

post #207 of 300 Old 04-08-2014, 05:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 872
If you think dead pixels are something to be annoyed about, then the jelly bears all over the screen will drive you crazy too.
post #208 of 300 Old 04-08-2014, 05:46 PM
Senior Writer @ AVS

Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Quoted: 2890 Post(s)
Liked: 4563

One of the worst things about commercial theaters has nothing to do with sight or sound or people's manners. It has to do with air conditioning.

Ever wonder why some movie theaters get clammy or smell funky? It's because the HVAC systems are not designed with sufficient fresh air exchange. It costs a lot to cool those big amphitheaters, and it costs a lot less to just recirculate the air that's in there. After a while, the collective sweat of the audiences builds up. No thanks.

Mark Henninger
post #209 of 300 Old 04-08-2014, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mo949 View Post

If you think dead pixels are something to be annoyed about, then the jelly bears all over the screen will drive you crazy too.

Yes, I saw this at the...down the road a bit theater, I've never been back to that theater, they really didn't seem to care.  The one right by my house is much better maintained (no comparison really from the moment you walk in it's visibly cleaner, smells better, not as beat up) and when I constructively complain they fix things and they seem to care (they take care of the obvious stuff, like gummy bears or jelly beans on the screen...really WT...).  But I only go 2 to 4 times a year.

post #210 of 300 Old 04-08-2014, 06:37 PM

I don't hate movie theaters.  I just don't like going very often.

Theaters owners don't give up, I'll start going more when I get more money...if you could do the following it'd be great.

Figure out how to deal with the rude people, hire a consultant, security firm or psychologist or something.  I don't know, maybe there are inexpensive and creative ways to deal with the rude.

Theater buildings, seats, carpet, walls, floors, projection equipment and speakers don't have to be new to be good.  They just need to be (buildings,well maintained, clean), (seats, comfortable and clean, repair or replace when worn), (carpet, clean and repaired, replace when too worn out), (walls, clean, patched/repaired, fresh paint when needed) (projectors, maintained, repaired, tested for quality regular), (speakers, maintained, repaired, regular tests for quality).

I'm sure it gets to a point where it takes too much effort and money to maintain old stuff any more and eventually it'll need replaced.  So remodel when needed, update equipment when needed.

Good luck.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Community News & Polls

Tags
Polls

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page