How Often Do You Go Out to the Movies? - Page 8 - AVS Forum
View Poll Results: How Often Do You Go Out to the Movies?
At least once a week 22 2.65%
Once or twice a month 126 15.20%
A few times a year 441 53.20%
Never 240 28.95%
Voters: 829. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-08-2014, 07:58 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 24
I haven't gone to a movie in almost 10yrs, I think it was the LOTR two towers. I went to the theater during prime time and sitting next to a bunch of people eating and talking, it was the worst experience. I went to the bank the next day and less then six months later I had my Home Theater and have'nt been back to see a movie with the general public since. The whole family loves it, they get excited on tuesdays when new movies come out. smile.gif
mike_bresnahan likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-08-2014, 09:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 282
I will get work phone calls on most weeks that I must take and therefore have to either never go to movies at all or stand up and walk out. Sitting on the edge of the theater to escape and use the phone is a crappy option. The expectation for healthcare folks to answer their phone within minutes is a huge departure from 20-30 years ago. It is highly disruptive and an unfortunate reality of life.

I think that there are a lot of folks with disposable income that are excluded from theaters due to this nuisance and probably affects the bottom line of theaters at some level. Maybe this is why the "dinner" theaters are popping up among other reasons.

I also feel like an idiot spending a ton of money on my home theater and then going to the main theater and not making the most of my investment. On top of that, the movies I want to see at the theater such as Marvel Comics movies, are the same ones I buy on Blu-Ray which makes me feel double stupid.
oneeyeblind likes this.

Blazar!
Old 04-08-2014, 09:35 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Mind you I don't have a high end home theater or anything near it like many here. Just a 6 year old Panasonic Viera Plasma tied to an Onkyo "HTIB" and an HTPC pushing media to the setup. Apartment life and finances don't allow for much breathing room from here. But it is a top bucket list item to do a proper HT setup.

Normally we don't go out to see many movies and wait til they come out on DVD/BD. At the absolute least if a top movie we really want to see comes out we make a go of it with relatives. But we were turned on to a nearby theater recently in the Marcus chain. They have a special going for the forseeable future where Tuesday movies are $5 even the brand new releases and on their big Imax size screen. Tack on a free 44oz popcorn each person. Recently remodelled adding roomy leather electric reclining seats in each auditorium. AQ and PQ is amazing. In fact we just got back from seeing the new Capt America movie this evening. Big Imax size screen in 3D. $8 per person (3D has a $3 add). Dolby Atmos in the auditorium, 4K. Clean, comfy.

With that, we have started making it a thing to go out every other week or so depending on what's playing. Inexpensive enough to manage at $5 a piece and an extra large soda to share. The chain is nationwide but not that big. Just two here in Ohio in the broad Columbus area. But if the location we go to is anything to go by, they are well run and theater equipment and quality is kept well up to date. And being in the middle of the week seems to help with the noise and mess. Though, TBQH, even when I used to go on weekends it was never a problem then either.
oneeyeblind likes this.

Old 04-08-2014, 10:36 PM

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Movies are no longer reliable entertainment for me so I don't go anymore plus my local theatre doesn't provide 2D viewing sessions in their main theatres.
dnoonie likes this.
Old 04-09-2014, 12:07 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I would go more often (voted for a few times a year) if there were more movies of interest to me. As it stands my home theater is around the quality of a mid-grade commercial cinema, so I still enjoy the experience of a premium movie theater.

Sincerely, the frugal audiophile
Old 04-09-2014, 12:19 AM

Accidental post.

Old 04-09-2014, 12:32 AM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Once every month.
I don't want to wait.
Old 04-09-2014, 12:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked: 302
Quote:
Originally Posted by notbananas View Post

I wouldn't have minded if the resolution was the same as film or if the brightness and color saturation was the same as film. But the crappy DLP projector looks like 20 year old technology. It was so dim that I could barely watch it. The contrast was so washed out, it looked like the TV's of the sixties with a bad picture tube.

http://www.boston.com/ae/movies/articles/2011/05/22/misuse_of_3_d_digital_lens_leaves_2_d_movies_in_the_dark/

This isn't an issue with DLP projectors and digital delivery. AMC is lazy.

Looky here!
Old 04-09-2014, 02:56 AM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 52

Just saw the first movie I've paid for this year, Captain America winter soldier.  I used a pass/ticket purchased last year when I had some money. The show was pretty good, the suspense was good, the action was good.  Picture quality I thought was a bit under what I get at home as was sound quality but everything seemed to be working well so that's a plus.  The picture was a tad washed out looking, a little over-bright (they likely crank the brightness a bit to compensate for the extremely annoying EXIT signs that give every dark scene a green tone), most scenes were tack sharp so any softness must have been intentional or not the fault of projection.  There was a funny mid-range harshness that I'm not used to hearing in most theaters and orchestral "presence" wasn't as good as my own system or even other theaters for that matter, there was some sound bleed from the next theater but it wasn't too bad, our show likely was the louder one.  I got "my seat" behind the rail, the audience was great, I sat beside some early to mid-twenty's "boys" that were fine citizens, very talky pre-show just having fun but settled down fine once the movie started, the theater was about 2/5 full for a 9:30p show.

While waiting to get seated I talked to the usher about their Atmos equipped room, it costs a couple dollars more but there are premium leather chairs and the room is also 3D.  Capt was showing there but it would have been cash out of pocket to upgrade to the 3D (which I don't care for).  I just checked and Capt is an Atmos audio show, the usher told me that they show non-Atmos shows there too since not all 3D shows are Atmos.  Just because a show is in an Atmos equipped room doesn't mean it's Atmos.  They also use the room for Atmos audio movies that aren't 3D.

One movie down, maybe 1 to 3 more for the year.

Cheers

Old 04-09-2014, 03:17 AM

Liked: 10

I only go to the movies just to see how the sound stacks up with my own home theatre…lol  :eek:

Old 04-09-2014, 03:47 AM

Liked: 48
Much less since my own cinema is finished. When I now think about it I wasn't in a cinema once since then.

Old 04-09-2014, 07:16 AM

Liked: 11
Scott congratulations on your 200th show. As far as going to the movies if it is a movie that really intrigues me I will go to cinema to watch it. Here is why its because I have kids. Three young kids all my friends have kids. For me to sit down in my upstairs home theater and watch a movie at an immersive sound level is almost impossible. Either my kids have activities my wife is needing my help or any other number of events. So my viewing is all most entirely at night at a much lower than preferred sound level. My friends have similar issues but at different times. Taking the time to go to the cinema is an escape for me I can concentrate solely on the movie and watch movies with family and friends that would otherwise be impossible with everyone's busy kid centric schedules. So while home theater is something I truly love the movie theater is the only place I can truly escape to on a regular basis. About twice a month during school year more during the summer
AaronMK likes this.
Old 04-09-2014, 07:17 AM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 112
I'm going to check back in here. Last night we drove 40 miles to see the Grand Budapest Hotel, since it won't come to our town until blu-ray.

When we walked into the auditorium, there were two other people in there. That's all. We wanted to sit closer to the screen, so we went about 5 rows in front of them and made sure we did not sit in seats where there would be any possibility of blocking their view.

About 2 minutes after the film started, two women - grown women, not kids - came in and sat DIRECTLY behind us, and proceeded to talk and make noise through the entire film. About 40 minutes in I finally turned and glared at them, which quieted them for about 5 minutes before they started making noise again. Seriously, I think at one point they made fajitas back there.

IN WHAT SOCIETY IS THIS ACCEPTABLE? I took note on the way out. The room had a capacity of 352 patrons. For this showing there were SIX. With 348 seats to choose from, they chose to sit directly behind us.

I was going to say something to them when the film was over. I would have said something during the film, but I didn't want to bother the other couple in the room. As soon as the credits started I turned around to confront them, but they were already halfway out of the row.

Unbelievable.

Can't blame the theater. Society has simply changed. People think this is okay. People have become so self-centered and self-absorbed that they pay no attention to the people around them.
BAMABLUHD and TUNNELVISION like this.

I love my iPhone, but it will never replace my turntable.

The Cinema 1858 Remodel Thread
Old 04-09-2014, 07:19 AM
Senior Writer @ AVS

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1849 Post(s)
Liked: 3152
Quote:
Originally Posted by blubolt View Post

Scott congratulations on your 200th show. As far as going to the movies if it is a movie that really intrigues me I will go to cinema to watch it. Here is why its because I have kids. Three young kids all my friends have kids. For me to sit down in my upstairs home theater and watch a movie at an immersive sound level is almost impossible. Either my kids have activities my wife is needing my help or any other number of events. So my viewing is all most entirely at night at a much lower than preferred sound level. My friends have similar issues but at different times. Taking the time to go to the cinema is an escape for me I can concentrate solely on the movie and watch movies with family and friends that would otherwise be impossible with everyone's busy kid centric schedules. So while home theater is something I truly love the movie theater is the only place I can truly escape to on a regular basis. About twice a month during school year more during the summer

That makes a ton of sense. Sorry to hear that you can't enjoy your home theater as much as you'd like. 

Mark Henninger
Old 04-09-2014, 07:30 AM

I head to the movies four times year Monday thru. Thursday, doing the day time just to avoid the long lines and the crowd  if the movie is worth spending $ 15 dollars. 

I have a home theater that I enjoy watching movies.  I hope for one day that I can rent a movie that is out at the theaters from my home.

Old 04-09-2014, 07:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 436 Post(s)
Liked: 329
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillcat View Post

Can't blame the theater. Society has simply changed. People think this is okay. People have become so self-centered and self-absorbed that they pay no attention to the people around them.

It's both "society" and the theaters. The poster who noted that the Alamo theater makes it very clear what the rules are AND there are consequences (what a unique concept) for breaking the rules demonstrates that the bothersome ones in the audience can be dealt with. But most theaters don't want to offend anyone (heaven forbid) so they let the few ruin the experience for the many.

And since spanking is considered "abuse" that doesn't happen any more! So we put kids in "timeout" where they are limited to only playing with 200 of their 4000 toys.

Sorry for the rant but as you have suggested,and while there are exceptions we have become a society of self absorbed, selfish, inconsiderate, spoiled little brats !

New Theater

Don't count the years. Make the years count. Lou Holtz
Old 04-09-2014, 08:00 AM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy View Post

It's both "society" and the theaters. The poster who noted that the Alamo theater makes it very clear what the rules are AND there are consequences (what a unique concept) for breaking the rules demonstrates that the bothersome ones in the audience can be dealt with. But most theaters don't want to offend anyone (heaven forbid) so they let the few ruin the experience for the many.

And since spanking is considered "abuse" that doesn't happen any more! So we put kids in "timeout" where they are limited to only playing with 200 of their 4000 toys.

Sorry for the rant but as you have suggested,and while there are exceptions we have become a society of self absorbed, selfish, inconsiderate, spoiled little brats !

No need to apologize. You nailed it. You took my unfinished rant and tied a bow on it, you're 100% correct.

I love my iPhone, but it will never replace my turntable.

The Cinema 1858 Remodel Thread
Old 04-09-2014, 08:48 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by robnix View Post

http://www.boston.com/ae/movies/articles/2011/05/22/misuse_of_3_d_digital_lens_leaves_2_d_movies_in_the_dark/

This isn't an issue with DLP projectors and digital delivery. AMC is lazy.

Thanks for the info. Very interesting, but still it would never be the same as 35mm or 70mm real film experience. When my HT system looks 1,000 times better than theaters, why would I spend my money to watch crap? There's no movie ever made that I must watch on opening day. I can wait a few weeks to see it on BR. Don't theaters realize they are now competing with all the HT owners and the thousands of digital movies available streaming on-line and downloadable free from movie sharing websites?

Not to mention the garbage movies being made these days. Maybe one out of hundred worth watching. But that's another subject to talk about.
Old 04-09-2014, 09:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Growing up we'd see 1-2 movies a week. That continued even when I was married, the family would all meet at the theater and pic a movie, and sometimes my wife and I would stay for another movie. I moved out of state and into a MUCH smaller town. The number of screens between all theaters in town is less than the one theater we'd usually meet at. There are two theaters in town, one nice one, and another one that is just avoided. Unfortunately many movies my wife skips just because it's playing at the crappy theater. Now that we have two kids (10 and 4) we don't see as many movies due to the cost. When we were paying $4-6 per ticket it's one thing, but now it's $8-15, plus all the crap the kids want to eat (even though we ALWAYS eat beforehand). A trip to the movies will easily set us back $100, so as a family we only go once or twice a month, but I sneak out once or twice a month by myself or with the wife and see a movie as well. smile.gif

Sean Hull

Denon 3808ci | PS3 80Gb | Harmony One | Toshiba XA2 | Samsung 61" PN60E6500EF | HTPC with HDMI

Old 04-09-2014, 09:40 AM

Liked: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillcat View Post

I'm going to check back in here. Last night we drove 40 miles to see the Grand Budapest Hotel, since it won't come to our town until blu-ray.

When we walked into the auditorium, there were two other people in there. That's all. We wanted to sit closer to the screen, so we went about 5 rows in front of them and made sure we did not sit in seats where there would be any possibility of blocking their view.

About 2 minutes after the film started, two women - grown women, not kids - came in and sat DIRECTLY behind us, and proceeded to talk and make noise through the entire film. About 40 minutes in I finally turned and glared at them, which quieted them for about 5 minutes before they started making noise again. Seriously, I think at one point they made fajitas back there.

IN WHAT SOCIETY IS THIS ACCEPTABLE? I took note on the way out. The room had a capacity of 352 patrons. For this showing there were SIX. With 348 seats to choose from, they chose to sit directly behind us.

I was going to say something to them when the film was over. I would have said something during the film, but I didn't want to bother the other couple in the room. As soon as the credits started I turned around to confront them, but they were already halfway out of the row.

Unbelievable.

You're a good one. Whenever someone either talks or is on the phone when the film starts, I immediately confront them. Doesn't matter what they look like, I'm ready for it to go down at all times. I think it's extremely rude of people to be so selfish.

My point is always that if I paid almost $20 each to get in and spent another $15 on popcorn and Coke, then YOU WILL not ruin my experience. At that point I will consider it theft, and thieves are dealt with accordingly. I know that no one on AVSforum engages in adverse behavior in a theater, because we all actually care. We care about the experience, both visual and audio, and we care about the experience of each other. I wish everyone were like the good folks in this forum, but alas, they often are not.

My home theater isn't a $20K pro system like some, but I do have about $5K or a little more invested; it looks and sounds good for the home. However, I do still like to get out and enjoy the theater experience with the wife. It's harmless fun for us even though it costs a ton. I also have Netflix (blu-ray and stream), buy blu-ray when I love a movie, etc; so I spend a lot on visual entertainment. Can't explain it, I just do although it is wasteful to an extent.
thrillcat likes this.
Old 04-09-2014, 09:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 66
About twice a month, depending on what movies are out - I go on Tuesdays when it's $7/ticket.
Old 04-09-2014, 09:54 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Every Saturday night. If you buy the tickets through places like AAA or TravelZoo, they can be as inexpensive as $8 each for an evening show, new release. It's the concession stand junk which really boosts the cost ($8 for popcorn, anyone?), You may have a large screen plasma and expensive home-theater audio at home, but really, the big-screen experience is tough to beat.
Old 04-09-2014, 10:03 AM
Senior Writer @ AVS

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1849 Post(s)
Liked: 3152
Quote:
Originally Posted by BriCo View Post

Every Saturday night. If you buy the tickets through places like AAA or TravelZoo, they can be as inexpensive as $8 each for an evening show, new release. It's the concession stand junk which really boosts the cost ($8 for popcorn, anyone?), You may have a large screen plasma and expensive home-theater audio at home, but really, the big-screen experience is tough to beat.

Many home theaters use front projection and far larger screen than you'll find on any consumer plasma panel. It's not that tough to beat a movie theater with a dedicated FP-based home theater using (relatively) modest, properly calibrated gear.

dnoonie likes this.

Mark Henninger
Old 04-09-2014, 10:06 AM

While I am not that old yet, I am a crotchety old man, I hate people, ok that's not entirely true. I hate disrespectful people, I hate feeling like I'm being taken advantage of (price of snacks/drinks) I hate not having options (good beer!) I hate not being able to pause to retank/detank. While I normally do not like to wait. I don't mind waiting to rent/stream/buy if I can do it at home with a nice bathroom good food, great beer, and people who know how to watch a movie. Now i just need to get moving from my 5.1 and 65" set up to the room I'm starting to working on downstairs that will host a projector and appropriate screen.
thrillcat likes this.
Old 04-09-2014, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyo1612 View Post

I still like going to the cinema for the major releases that I really want to see.... Also I like to compare the theatrical experience to the home theater experience in terms of the picture and audio quality
Big +1:)

Old 04-09-2014, 11:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Last time I was at the movies was LOTR Fellowship of the Ring and Harry Potter and the Sorcerors Stone, both on the same day, haven't been since.... I just have no desire to put up with the crowds and cellphones and prices, etc. I have a nice enough setup at home now to not really have any desire. I really do want to check out HFR 3D though, probably will this Christmas with the next Hobbit movie.

Old 04-09-2014, 12:37 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Clearly commercial cinemas are far better as far screen size. I only pick movies that I feel will benefit from the commercial theater. Last movie I have seen was Avatar so I chose never in the poll.
Old 04-09-2014, 12:49 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked: 392
Love, love, love going to the movies. Always have and nothing has changed about that.

I've spent tons of effort, time and money on a home theater system that often blows my mind in terms of the sheer quality of image/sound. But I always have a more fun, intense experience seeing movies in theaters with an audience...and I'm a fan of movie food. Plus, I love socializing and going out. I rarely get the type of buzz out of seeing a movie in my home theater that I regularly get seeing a movie with an audience.
For me my home theater tends to be a "back up" for when I can't see a movie in the theater (which is depressingly often these days for various time reasons). So my home theater allows me to experience on a "fairly big screen" (projection) recent movies I've missed in the theater, and also very gratifyingly, old classic movies that I never could have seen in the theater. But even those old movies are better seen in a "real Cinema" for me.

This was really driven home when I attended the re-release of the Blade Runner Final Cut in the movie theaters, several years back. Being one of my favorite movies, I've seen Bladerunner far too many times to recall, on every format, including in my projection set up. But actually seeing it in a truly huge screen with an eager audience completely changed the experience. Where watching Bladerunner had long become rote and stale out of familiarity, there was a "liveness" in the cinema in terms of seeing, hearing, feeling the audience react to the movie. Laughing at certain lines, gasping, even subtle reactions, made the actors on screen come alive in terms of performances, made what was happening more "real" and vital. The audience reactions not only made the actors seem more alive on screen, as if performing for us, but the audience often made me see scenes in a different way, sort of wake me up to another viewpoint "oh yeah, that line WAS supposed to be funny...I'd long since stopped noticing it." No home-viewing experience of BladeRunner has ever felt like all the times I saw it in the original release, or with an audience that last time. And that's the magic of movie-going for me.
Old 04-09-2014, 01:34 PM

100% agree with the social aspect of viewing a film at a commercial cinema.

Old 04-09-2014, 01:47 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I can't remember the last movie I saw in a commercial theater. I wanted to go and see Star Trek: Into Darkness, but reading reviews here and other places all saying the same thing.. Volume too loud.. some reviews even had actual SPL readings. After reading more about commercial theaters pumping up the volume to crazy levels, I decided my hearing was more important than seeing something in a theater.

As far as the "social" aspect of going out to the movies. I don't seem to have that problem, since family and friends line up to get into my theater. Three showings of Frozen down.. 2 or 3 more to go.. all showings are a full house..

Tags
Polls