How Often Do You Go Out to the Movies? - Page 9 - AVS Forum
View Poll Results: How Often Do You Go Out to the Movies?
At least once a week 22 2.66%
Once or twice a month 126 15.24%
A few times a year 440 53.20%
Never 239 28.90%
Voters: 827. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

post #241 of 300 Old 04-09-2014, 12:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 87
I said a few times a year, but if I was being precise I'd say twice a year these days on average. Enough to see the latest tech (eg, high frame rate 3d) or the "must see" titles (eg, Hobbit). Or the occasional interesting film festival title.

Build Thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #242 of 300 Old 04-09-2014, 01:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 146
I live in a small town and the theatre is atrocious. On top of that I'm rather proud of my HT and it rivals (audio wise) some of the better commercial theatres in the closet city to me which is Ottawa.
post #243 of 300 Old 04-09-2014, 02:24 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by d_m1010 View Post

I live in a small town and the theatre is atrocious. On top of that I'm rather proud of my HT and it rivals (audio wise) some of the better commercial theatres in the closet city to me which is Ottawa.
With you in a small town/rural; home theater is even more important I think. I could see an even heavier investment in a projector if I weren't in a large city. With your audio that good, do you use a dedicated Amp with an AV receiver or what other kind of set up?
oneeyeblind likes this.
post #244 of 300 Old 04-09-2014, 03:23 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13

Rarely because it's a 2 hour round trip drive to a descent theater and I like my home theater experience much better. No tall guys sitting down in front of me 5 minutes after the movie starts and in an almost empty theater, and it has happened to me several times. No sticky floors. No worrying about sitting in gum, coke, drugs or needles. No cell phones or loud crying kids or rude anybody. PAUSE BUTTON and VOLUME CONTROL!!!!

oneeyeblind likes this.
post #245 of 300 Old 04-09-2014, 04:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by BAMABLUHD View Post

With you in a small town/rural; home theater is even more important I think. I could see an even heavier investment in a projector if I weren't in a large city. With your audio that good, do you use a dedicated Amp with an AV receiver or what other kind of set up?

4 svs pb 13 ultras
2 svs pb 12 pluses
2 buttkicker amps with 3 shaker pistons
5 richard gray power units
Epson 8700 projector
2 emotiva xpa 1s
1 xpa 2
1 xpa 3
Rotel rsp 1572 pre pro
Oppo 83se blu-ray player
Jm lab/focal 920s, 925s, and sr30 surrounds
Golden ear triton 2s
Benchmark dac1
Bryston 4bsst2
Wadia ipad dock
Yba cd3
M2 tech hi face
Aseq1 svs sub eq
Xbox 360
PS4
ps4

post #246 of 300 Old 04-09-2014, 07:05 PM

Liked: 16

I'm lucky to live in L.A. and often go to industry film screenings - sometimes twice a week, and often before the film is in general release (so critics haven't yet chimed in with their opinions or plot spoilers). No commercials or previews, no talking or texting, with comfortable seating and perfect sound and projection. That said, sometimes we like a more social or "date night" experience and will go to a theater showing foreign or independent films we might otherwise miss, or we will splurge and get a reserved seat at the Arclight about 4 times a year. We also receive a lot of DVDs during award voting season, but they are not in BluRay so we prefer seeing them on the big screen at a theater or screening room. Also, big epic films just don't have the same impact on a 55" screen as they do on a 40' screen. 3-4 times per month we'll order something from Netflix - we like the BluRay disks rather than video streaming, because it's less buggy, and there are still lots of titles that are only available on disk.

oneeyeblind and Morpheo like this.
post #247 of 300 Old 04-09-2014, 08:51 PM

Liked: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by d_m1010 View Post

4 svs pb 13 ultras
2 svs pb 12 pluses
2 buttkicker amps with 3 shaker pistons
5 richard gray power units
Epson 8700 projector
2 emotiva xpa 1s
1 xpa 2
1 xpa 3
Rotel rsp 1572 pre pro
Oppo 83se blu-ray player
Jm lab/focal 920s, 925s, and sr30 surrounds
Golden ear triton 2s
Benchmark dac1
Bryston 4bsst2
Wadia ipad dock
Yba cd3
M2 tech hi face
Aseq1 svs sub eq
Xbox 360
PS4
ps4

Ohh my! That's not a Buick! biggrin.gif
post #248 of 300 Old 04-09-2014, 09:47 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by reconlabtech View Post

I will only go out to a movie if it is playing at the Airbus Imax Theatre at the Smithsonian Air and Space Museum in Chantilly, VA.

Reasons:
1. Largest Imax screen in Virginia if not the East Coast.
2. No 20 minutes of Coming Attractions and ads.
3. No screaming kids and babies
4. No room glowing with 50 plus people texting the entire time the movie is playing.
5. I have my own home theatre with 1100 watts of 5.1 sound and 300 watts of subwoofer and an 8 foot screen 10 feet away from me.

My son came home from college and went with friends to see a movie with his friends. When he came home he looked at me with a disgusted look on his face and told me he should have waited to see it at home.

Theater is all about immersion and sound. If you need lots of people and other things not related to the presentation, you like to go out and get in a crowd, the theatre is just another place for you to do that.

I used to live 10 minutes away from that IMAX, and it is the one thing I really miss since moving away. Image quality from the 70mm prints was consistently great (saw no ill-effects of 35mm DMR up-scaling), and jaw dropping for scenes shot with the IMAX cameras/film. That combined with the sheer size of the screen made you feel like you were in the movie. The sound was very clear with bass that could make my shirt move. And, as mentioned, no ads, the audience there was well behaved, and the movie would start after a brief IMAX intro.

That was an experience that made going to the theater truly memorable in a good way. ETX, RPX, digital/cinema IMAX, etc simply don't compare to that, and won't draw me away from even my modest home theater.

It is only the occasional movie I can't wait to see, or if something worth seeing is playing in the Dolby Atmos auditorium at Downtown Disney (happens to be ETX), that will get me to the Cinema.

On a slight tangent: For both The Hobbit: DoS and the latest Captain America movie, pixelation and stair-step artifacts were very visible in many scenes in that auditorium. Never have that issue with digital projection at similar viewing angles, so why there? And why four projectors?
post #249 of 300 Old 04-11-2014, 04:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 303
I love going to the theater. I have my favorite one downtown and my favorite seat smile.gif I try to go once a week, unless there's really nothing to see.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SIlverlakeLA View Post

Also, big epic films just don't have the same impact on a 55" screen as they do on a 40' screen.

+1.
post #250 of 300 Old 04-11-2014, 06:56 AM

i think maybe 2-3 times a year, usually hard to find a movie worth going out to that my wife and I both want to see hah

post #251 of 300 Old 04-11-2014, 10:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Let's see, the last two movies I saw in the theater were John Carter (2012) and Les Miserables (2012).

I am hoping to see Captain America the Winter Soldier soon, and that will take care of my movie budget for 2014. cool.gif

Edited: I saw it tonight with my wife. Scratch that off my bucket list. cool.gif

Symmetry pleases the eye, but it usually offends the ears where low frequencies are concerned. -Yoda Fitzmaurice
post #252 of 300 Old 04-11-2014, 02:40 PM

Liked: 24
I see about 10 a year or so. All the big usually action movies of the year.

When I go I stick to state-of-the-art theaters.

Sure I have a nice Panasoinic PT-AE8000U projector ($2600) and a ~$3,000 sound system, but I still think it pales in comparison to the state-of-the-art.

The one I go to has a modern 4K NEC projector (I know most movies are only 2K so far, but still it's an excellent projector). Everything about the picture seems to be superb to me. It's perfectly aligned and it looks to be well-calibrated. The screen is also rather large at 72ft wide.

The sound system of course is Dolby Atmos which certainly has good standards that have to be met.

The seating is all reserved and the seats are leather recliners with leg rests that go up and down electronically. It also reclines way way back, they can even go too far where you are basically looking up at the ceiling haha. I'm 6ft tall and even the leg rests are long enough to hold my entire leg! Plus even the leg rests are really padded. Looks like this:

I actually find it weird that people complain so much about the audience. I have almost never seen any sort of problem with people using cell phones or talking during the movie (that I can near or notice). I guess I'm lucky or its just in the area I live or something.

It costs $8 where I go as well and they don't charge extra for 3D which is nice too.

For all the people who have bad theater experiences or have crappy theaters by them I wish I could take you to the one I go to. I know there is a great experience to be had!
Vchat20 likes this.
post #253 of 300 Old 04-11-2014, 02:59 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 68
My wife and I go maybe 2-3 times a year. I will take my son to see an animated movie if it is a big hit. Going to the movie has gotten so expensive. If anything my wife and I will go to the drive-in so we get a 2 for 1 special.
Robert

Sub build
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Center - JBL LC2
Mains - JBL L820
Surrounds - JBL L820
Sub -Updating to Duals with UXL-18"s A bit different
post #254 of 300 Old 04-11-2014, 03:13 PM

Liked: 13

Only a couple of times a year anymore...why should I pay $10 for the privilege of watching the same commercials before the trailers start that I can watch at home for free?

post #255 of 300 Old 04-11-2014, 06:17 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirMaster View Post

Sure I have a nice Panasoinic PT-AE8000U projector ($2600) and a ~$3,000 sound system, but I still think it pales in comparison to the state-of-the-art.

The one I go to has a modern 4K NEC projector (I know most movies are only 2K so far, but still it's an excellent projector). Everything about the picture seems to be superb to me. It's perfectly aligned and it looks to be well-calibrated. The screen is also rather large at 72ft wide.

The sound system of course is Dolby Atmos which certainly has good standards that have to be met.

The seating is all reserved and the seats are leather recliners with leg rests that go up and down electronically. It also reclines way way back, they can even go too far where you are basically looking up at the ceiling haha. I'm 6ft tall and even the leg rests are long enough to hold my entire leg! Plus even the leg rests are really padded. Looks like this:

I actually find it weird that people complain so much about the audience. I have almost never seen any sort of problem with people using cell phones or talking during the movie (that I can near or notice). I guess I'm lucky or its just in the area I live or something.

It costs $8 where I go as well and they don't charge extra for 3D which is nice too.

For all the people who have bad theater experiences or have crappy theaters by them I wish I could take you to the one I go to. I know there is a great experience to be had!

Way it go SirMaster!  If I had something that nice for that price I'd certainly go more often.  My cheep seats in non-calibrated vid/aud cost that much for me.  3D?extra charge, Atmos?extra charge, put them together and you get two up-charges.

Do you like my Avatar?  See it bigger at ->
My other photos,
post #256 of 300 Old 04-11-2014, 06:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Quote:

I saw the regular version of Captain America 2 tonight at a Regal Cinema here in West Virginia. Tickets were $10 2D, $13.50 for 3D.

The sound/sound system was OK, but not great. There was not much great music, but there were lots of things blowing up, pistol and machine gun fire.

Review: Great movie, two thumbs up!

Symmetry pleases the eye, but it usually offends the ears where low frequencies are concerned. -Yoda Fitzmaurice
post #257 of 300 Old 04-11-2014, 06:23 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnoonie View Post

Way it go SirMaster!  If I had something that nice for that price I'd certainly go more often.  My cheep seats in non-calibrated vid/aud cost that much for me.  3D?extra charge, Atmos?extra charge, put them together and you get two up-charges.

Yep. Same theater as I posted about previously here. Except ours charges extra for 3D but not by much. $3 surcharge. $5 Tuesday movies on the LARGE Ultrascreen, 4K, Atmos for the latest movies with a free popcorn to boot. Throw in the extra $3 for 3D if you choose. Amazing seating, great PQ/AQ. Can't be beat imho. It's not even much of a decision anymore to go if there is something we are interested in seeing. Compared to other theaters that charge regular ~$14+ for the same old atmosphere.

post #258 of 300 Old 04-11-2014, 07:14 PM
wse
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 346 Post(s)
Liked: 333
Quote:

Whoa you must live in a nice town, here movies average about $15, and people are obnoxious! Now if we want a theater with seats like that it cost over $20 and they serve bad food so you get disturb the whole time by waiter bringing food and cheap wine! Of course they charge a lot for that food!

My humble Cinema
post #259 of 300 Old 04-11-2014, 08:12 PM

I prefer my home theater over the movie theater. It's more comfortable (no sticky floors), no crowds, and no fixed schedule.

Reynolds:"Not much faith in plan A?"
O'Neill:"Since when has plan A ever worked?"

Stargate SG-1, episode 143, "Evolution"

post #260 of 300 Old 04-11-2014, 08:53 PM

Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Haven't gone since Open Range. Built a dedicated home theater music room with the most comfortable chair in the world.

I think a more relevant question, will movie theaters still exist in 20 years?
post #261 of 300 Old 04-12-2014, 12:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orbitron View Post

I think a more relevant question, will movie theaters still exist in 20 years?

Of course they will! Where else would you expect people to use their cell phones? Besides, cell phone users are less likely to walk into you when they are sitting down! :p

My very humble setup:
Man Cave:Vizio E500i-A1 "Smart TV" (50-in 1080p 120Hz LED/LCD, has Netflix app.), Blu-ray players (Sony BDP-S3100, old LG BD390), Roku (the original model: N1000), PC (Windows 7), Comcast Internet (25Mbps/5Mbps).
Bedroom:LG 32LV3400-UA TV (32-in 768p 60Hz LED/LCD), HD DVR (Motorola RNG200N), Xfinity Comcast cable (Digital Starter Package), DVD/VHS player.
post #262 of 300 Old 04-12-2014, 05:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Quote:

Those are same seats I have in my area, went to the movies yesterday, They were no kids in the movie it was very peaceful.
post #263 of 300 Old 04-12-2014, 04:10 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 10
Haven't been to the theater since the first Harry Potter movie, so 2001. After asking for it to be focused twice and still not getting fixed, I swore to never return and haven't. I have a constant stream of new releases to watch. They just happen to be several months later than other people see them, though the wait is not nearly as long these days as back in 2001.

Gary

post #264 of 300 Old 04-12-2014, 04:49 PM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 34
I have a great Home Theater but for certain movies I must watch them first in a theater. Any big action sci-fi, fantasy, war movies, etc, I need to experience in a theater. And, to avoid the crowd and cell phone jerks, I always go to the theater during the week, usually on a Monday or Tuesday and go to the 3:00 to 4:00 showing! I have about 1300 movies in my Blu-ray collection which I watch at home with my friends. For movies like Wolf of Wall Street and American Hustle, I will wait for the Blu-ray and watch it at home.

Stewart Firehawk G3 92" screen
Epson Powerlite Home Cinema 5030 UB
Denon AVR-4311CI - 7.1 surround sound setup
Denon AVR-X5200W
Blu-Ray: Panasonic DMP-BDT360, Oppo 93 & 103
Klipsch Speakers: RF-82, RC-62, RS-52, RB-61
post #265 of 300 Old 04-12-2014, 05:37 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I probably go 3 to 6 times a year. Hardly seems believable for someone who's always loved and been obsessed with movies. During the mid 60's when I was old enough to walk to our neighborhood theatre I would go every weekend. As a teenager in the 70's I discovered a whole new world at the cinema which was experiencing it's second golden age since the talkies. With directors like Coppola, Altman, DePalma, Peckinpah, Cronenberg and hundreds of others there was never a problem finding a film worth seeing. I pretty much lived at the theatre during the 70's. Unfortunately the freedom of the 70's movies didn't last long. Soon commercial pictures became the norm again, and decade by decade the films seemed to become less and less interesting. There are still amazingly good films being made today, but unfortunately they don't end up in theatres anymore. Either they get the token 1-2 week release to major cities or go straight to video and streaming. For me it's not the lack of manners of todays audience, not the cost of concession items (I don't believe in eating during a movie) or even the torn seats and sticky floors (I kind of like them, brings back fond memories) that keeps me from attending more movies at the theatres. It's simply the current trend of super heros and remakes that doesn't interest me. Bring back great stories and great directors and I'll happily start buying tickets again.

Rich
post #266 of 300 Old 04-12-2014, 05:56 PM

Amen to RFK54. When I lived in San Francisco I had eight theaters within a two block radius of Geary/Larkin and could catch a movie almost daily (twice on weekends). But great scripts and interesting characters have given way to overblown CGI effects and countless sequels. So I now go only once a year, twice at most. It has to be a movie that MUST be seen on the big screen and I can't wait for it to appear on a streaming service. It's always a matinee and I don't buy any concessions. I find Christmas or New Years day the best. Last on was Gravity.

post #267 of 300 Old 04-13-2014, 12:13 AM

I generally go once a week, on the weekend. Saw Divergent yesterday. Great movie.

post #268 of 300 Old 04-13-2014, 12:51 AM

I generally only go to the cinema for movies that will benefit from the immersion factor

post #269 of 300 Old 04-13-2014, 06:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 188
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukemanstalker View Post

I generally only go to the cinema for movies that will benefit from the immersion factor

That's just it. For me, people talking, chewing, waving phones around... all that is nothing but distraction that prevents the immersion experience. It's difficult to stay in the movie when someone behind you who's not a character starts talking.

Yes, sometimes in a mostly empty theater in an upscale neighborhood at a time of day that doesn't attract teenagers and idiots who bring small children to adult movies, I can get my head into a movie and stay there. But why risk it? I can attain the same level of immersion in my HT every time, and the BD is usually cheaper than two tickets.
BAMABLUHD, BornSlippyZ and dnoonie like this.

Wide Awake

on the Edge

of the World

post #270 of 300 Old 04-13-2014, 08:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyNurse View Post

But aren't we all, who are in this hobby, trying to replicate the theater experience on a smaller scale at home?
No. Some of us, perhaps many; not me. I aim to replicate in my HT real scenes, real life, not a movie theater. Long ago, when I was a rowdy undergrad, I thought being in the theater audience with others groaning, hissing, applauding, was lots of fun. But I haven't been out to the movies in years and years, and I just noticed that the last cinema I did go to, with my wife over a decade ago, has now been torn down.

Greg Lee
Reply Community News & Polls

Tags
Polls

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page