What Is Your Downstream Bandwidth? - Page 7 - AVS Forum
View Poll Results: What Is Your Downstream Bandwidth?
Less than 1 Mbps 7 0.80%
1-3 Mbps 24 2.73%
3-6 Mbps 35 3.98%
6-10 Mbps 48 5.45%
10-15 Mbps 108 12.27%
15-20 Mbps 121 13.75%
More than 20 Mbps 534 60.68%
I don't have broadband Internet access 3 0.34%
Voters: 880. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 262 Old 04-21-2014, 12:36 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
No, none of the sort. I pay for gigabit, and regularly get it on wired connections. We have a dedicated connection, and never see degradation during peak times. I've talked to some of their support people, and they've stressed that they don't mess with doing any sort of traffic shaping.

Netflix/Amazon Instant Video/Hulu/etc. loads almost instantaneously. There are no data caps. In their terms of service, they specify that this is for noncommercial use only.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 262 Old 04-21-2014, 02:35 AM

90 But getting 125 MB. From Bright house in Florida
post #183 of 262 Old 04-21-2014, 06:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Sharing this...South East Asia:

http://technology.inquirer.net/35596/ph-has-slowest-internet-in-southeast-asia

As for me, I stream youtube at 144p or 240p.
post #184 of 262 Old 04-21-2014, 07:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtf612 View Post

3446168263.png

From my university plugged in directly through Ethernet. It is almost spring break, so the network is pretty nice right now.

Sadly my real home theater isn't here on campus, but rather at home. Nevertheless, I get 50Mbps down and 10 Mbps up there with Time Warner.

WOW what sort of Service is that Business Class or similar?? I would love to have a near symmetrical Speed on my Home service..

3452563149.png

post #185 of 262 Old 04-21-2014, 07:49 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 49
I get 1Tb/s down, 500Gb/s up.

Boom
post #186 of 262 Old 04-21-2014, 08:54 AM

Liked: 11
6-10 mbps download. 3mbps up

Satellite internet through Wildblue/Exede is the only available provider where we live unfortunately. We pay $120/month for these speeds and a 60GB cap. No bueno
post #187 of 262 Old 04-21-2014, 09:42 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 28
I have 150-200 MB download and 50-80 MB upload..... that doesn't necessarily matter though. Where's the data center I'm going to be streaming from (latency) and what is the bandwidth throttling on that end? In theory I could download a full BluRay in 5 min providing the data center supported the throughput and I didn't have to make 20 hops across the internet to get to the server. That's more of a concern than my download speed.... wink.gif
post #188 of 262 Old 04-21-2014, 09:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 55
post #189 of 262 Old 04-21-2014, 09:48 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Unfortunately there is a difference between what your broadband connection is rated for, what a speed test rates your connection speed and what you can achieve in a real life download test. I have a 15/5 FIOS connection, and several different internet speed tests rate my connection at that speed. However I cannot get over 3 mbps from Netflix, and when I try to download a large file from my companies server on a Sunday morning, I get less than 2 mbps. For me this is fraud, I am paying for a service which I am not getting.

Sony KDL-42V4100 LCD TV, Yamaha RX-V665 AV receiver, Sony PS3 slim, Klipsch F-30 speaker system
post #190 of 262 Old 04-21-2014, 10:10 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by degobah77 View Post

I get 1Tb/s down, 500Gb/s up.

From who? And how could you even test it? No one is serving 1Tbps of data. I can't imagine how many downloads you would have to start to actually see those speeds. Would be fun to find out tho. smile.gif

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #191 of 262 Old 04-21-2014, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dschlic1 View Post

Unfortunately there is a difference between what your broadband connection is rated for, what a speed test rates your connection speed and what you can achieve in a real life download test. I have a 15/5 FIOS connection, and several different internet speed tests rate my connection at that speed. However I cannot get over 3 mbps from Netflix, and when I try to download a large file from my companies server on a Sunday morning, I get less than 2 mbps. For me this is fraud, I am paying for a service which I am not getting.

Its NetFlix throttling you... not necessarily an issue with your FIOS connection. NetFlix has to load balance the bandwidth across all users from their data centers. Even if you have 1TB throughput you'll never get it from NetFlix. Same goes for your company server. What is there upload bandwidth (on their side)? That's typically where a bottleneck occurs- the upload bandwidth of the ISP hosting the server. Its vary unlikely that an ISP allows for one user to get significant amounts of bandwidth on a server- you have to pay for it and most won't. Regardless of what speed you have for download, the server's upload bandwidth is where you're seeing the issue.
post #192 of 262 Old 04-21-2014, 10:32 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Looks like I need to switch ISPs! With Frontier I'm only getting 15/5 and paying 40 bucks a month for it which isn't bad but when streaming 1080p with DTS HD audio from my computer to my PS3 there are issues.

post #193 of 262 Old 04-21-2014, 10:39 AM

Guys, you can have a dedicated fiber gigabit connection at home- doesn't matter, that's only part of the equation. The next two pieces are the upload speed of the server providing you the content and also the distance between you and that server. NetFlix, Hulu, Vudu, PS3, etc. all have bandwidth throttling. They only serve up enough bandwidth per user to MAINTAIN the stream. You may very well have the download bandwidth to download a full BluRay in 15 seconds- you'll never actually be able to do so because the server on the other side which has the BluRay is only going to give you so much throughput on the upload. Even if NetFlix is on an OC trunk and can do 1 GB/s upload- that's distributed amongst millions of users at once. You can't give a significant user dedicated throughput and make any money so....

This is why (as an engineer) I avoid streaming technology. Its only as good as the provider allows and the compression sucks. 1080P really isn't 1080P when they start doing things like skipping frames in a movie when they can to save on bandwidth. There is more to this than meets the eye..... and there's a reason you've yet to see a "native BluRay" stream anywhere. They may advertise "BluRay Quality" but its really not. There are tricks to save on bandwidth, and bandwidth costs money so....

That's why the Sony 4K $900 server jobbie will ultimately fail.... mark my words- 2 years from now having one of those will be like owning an HD-DVD player......
post #194 of 262 Old 04-21-2014, 01:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan30306 View Post

Guys, you can have a dedicated fiber gigabit connection at home- doesn't matter, that's only part of the equation. The next two pieces are the upload speed of the server providing you the content and also the distance between you and that server. NetFlix, Hulu, Vudu, PS3, etc. all have bandwidth throttling. They only serve up enough bandwidth per user to MAINTAIN the stream. You may very well have the download bandwidth to download a full BluRay in 15 seconds- you'll never actually be able to do so because the server on the other side which has the BluRay is only going to give you so much throughput on the upload. Even if NetFlix is on an OC trunk and can do 1 GB/s upload- that's distributed amongst millions of users at once. You can't give a significant user dedicated throughput and make any money so....

This is why (as an engineer) I avoid streaming technology. Its only as good as the provider allows and the compression sucks. 1080P really isn't 1080P when they start doing things like skipping frames in a movie when they can to save on bandwidth. There is more to this than meets the eye..... and there's a reason you've yet to see a "native BluRay" stream anywhere. They may advertise "BluRay Quality" but its really not. There are tricks to save on bandwidth, and bandwidth costs money so....

That's why the Sony 4K $900 server jobbie will ultimately fail.... mark my words- 2 years from now having one of those will be like owning an HD-DVD player......

Of course there are trade-offs. VUDU HDX is darn close to Blu-ray at 10mbps. Netflix SuperHD and others easily beat even the best cable/satellite services, although fall a little short of VUDU HDX/Blu-ray.
post #195 of 262 Old 04-21-2014, 05:37 PM

I gather the poll should have read MBps not Mbps..?

Anyway, just to give you all some perspective, I have what would be considered 'excellent' internet here in Australia (Melbourne metro)...
45mbps down, 1.15 mbps up. This is why you don't see any Australian streaming live content.

Telstra Cable $110p/m

Fibre Optic is currently being rolled out along the East coast of Australia.
Even though I live only 1.5miles from the city centre I will not see fibre optic in my area for another 1-2 years at least.

If you currently have fibre optic rolled out in your area, the best service available is 100Mbps down, 40Mbps up, 1 TB cap @$120p/m (throttled to 250kbps when cap exceeded).
post #196 of 262 Old 04-21-2014, 05:59 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnoonie View Post

Centurylink DSL through remote DSLAM.  The DLSAM is less than a mile away but there are obviously some pretty rotten lines between me and there so...

3446505379.png

Some neighbors tried Comcast, it doesn't work well in this area, folks get fine speed during the day but it slows to slower than dial-up in the evening.

Vudo HDX looks good, as good or better than cable or sat.  It streams at the two bar setting.  The audio is usually much better than broadcast.

I've been happy with Centurylink customer service, but they really need to replace those rotten lines.  I haven't had an outage in two years.

I called my ISP to see if they could up my speed.  They can't for a reasonable price but I did find out they plan on doing some maintenance in the area that would allow a 12Mb down connection at no added cost.  I'll try to up my speed again in a year or so.  For now the speed I have is fine although it would be nice to get the best possible VUDU streams...my ping is so slow because I'm behind 2 hardware firewalls.

Do you like my Avatar?  See it bigger at ->
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
My other photos,
post #197 of 262 Old 04-21-2014, 07:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitropro View Post

I gather the poll should have read MBps not Mbps..?

Anyway, just to give you all some perspective, I have what would be considered 'excellent' internet here in Australia (Melbourne metro)...
45mbps down, 1.15 mbps up. This is why you don't see any Australian streaming live content.

Telstra Cable $110p/m

Fibre Optic is currently being rolled out along the East coast of Australia.
Even though I live only 1.5miles from the city centre I will not see fibre optic in my area for another 1-2 years at least.

If you currently have fibre optic rolled out in your area, the best service available is 100Mbps down, 40Mbps up, 1 TB cap @$120p/m (throttled to 250kbps when cap exceeded).

Wow, that's a horrible upload. That fibre is a little bit expensive, but the speeds and transfer limits are very reasonable. Is there any option to bundle it with TV for cheaper?
post #198 of 262 Old 04-21-2014, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggAW View Post

Wow, that's a horrible upload. That fibre is a little bit expensive, but the speeds and transfer limits are very reasonable. Is there any option to bundle it with TV for cheaper?

You can bundle NBN with Cable TV (starting at $150p/m with not many channels, $240p/m for all channels). +$ if you want to bundle home/mb phone on top.
Want a second set top box, +$p/m.

It adds up quickly to figures not really affordable to the average single income household.
post #199 of 262 Old 04-21-2014, 08:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitropro View Post

You can bundle NBN with Cable TV (starting at $150p/m with not many channels, $240p/m for all channels). +$ if you want to bundle home/mb phone on top.
Want a second set top box, +$p/m.

It adds up quickly to figures not really affordable to the average single income household.

Wow, that's pretty pricey. We complain a lot here, but that's just nuts.
post #200 of 262 Old 04-21-2014, 09:29 PM

Liked: 11
3453810662.png

ill take it
post #201 of 262 Old 04-22-2014, 07:09 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked: 223
Quote:
Originally Posted by finsup View Post

This is over a Wi-fi connection and not nearly as fast as most of you, but then again, my company is paying for the connection so I won't complain.

The speedtest from my ISP was 11.99 Mpbs down and 9.33 up .

To me, this is the most telling speed test result of the lot.  Notice that the download speed is 10 Mbps and yet is is "faster than 61% of US".  What this says is that greater than half of the nation cannot stream UHD content due to current bandwidth limitations.  In fact, in my speed test it showed that I am getting roughly 3 Mbps download speed, yet I am still faster than 22% of US.  This says that somewhere around 1/4 of the US cannot reliably stream HD due to current bandwidth limitations.  Granted, in some cases, there are faster options available that could provide the required speeds and we are just too cheap to pay for them.  But, I still think that streaming is a long way away from being a viable solution for getting HD, and especially UHD, to the masses.  Note that those who take AV seriously (i.e. want high quality and are willing to pay for it) and those who have insufficient internet bandwidth to stream UHD are not mutually exclusive.

post #202 of 262 Old 04-22-2014, 08:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 401
Even with plenty of downstream my netflix stream constantly switches back to standard definition. These tests are just not representative of the performance you can expect to achieve from Netflix streaming, which is why its a joke that Netflix is even bragging about UHD streams at the moment; all that means to me is yet another layer that my video feed can transition to as I'm trying to watch something - I really wish I could force it to never switch back and forth.
post #203 of 262 Old 04-22-2014, 09:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by leevit View Post

time warner suks!
Not near as bad as Comcast. They should be embarrassed that they call themselves a cable/internet provider. And now they are about to gobble up TW! Yicks. I had TW cable in Upstate, NY for years and never had the number of outages I now experience with Comcast in CT. In fact, we hardly ever had an outage either with cable or internet. And, the HD cable channels never broke up like they do with CC. It's too bad too. I don't have a choice where I live now, so I'm kinda stuck with wonderful CC. frown.gif

redjr...
Pioneer Elite - A-20, DV-79AVi, BDP-HD1, SC-05

post #204 of 262 Old 04-22-2014, 10:01 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyoAJB View Post

To me, this is the most telling speed test result of the lot.  Notice that the download speed is 10 Mbps and yet is is "faster than 61% of US".  What this says is that greater than half of the nation cannot stream UHD content due to current bandwidth limitations.  In fact, in my speed test it showed that I am getting roughly 3 Mbps download speed, yet I am still faster than 22% of US.  This says that somewhere around 1/4 of the US cannot reliably stream HD due to current bandwidth limitations.  Granted, in some cases, there are faster options available that could provide the required speeds and we are just too cheap to pay for them.  But, I still think that streaming is a long way away from being a viable solution for getting HD, and especially UHD, to the masses.  Note that those who take AV seriously (i.e. want high quality and are willing to pay for it) and those who have insufficient internet bandwidth to stream UHD are not mutually exclusive.

On top of that, we all have to remember the SpeedTest numbers are, for the most part, the results of perfect conditions for a test. The tool picks the server with the lowest ping to ensure you have a close, low latency connection. Usually these servers are optimized for this testing. In the real world there will be many more hops (routers you pass through) between you and the server. Each of these negatively impacts latency and speed and a single router on the path that is overloaded will dramatically impact performance.

Netflix is even more complicated than speed testing regular sites because there are so many additional variables. When you connect to Netflix, the location of the servers you stream from may vary. In some cases, Netflix will have co-located their entire video catalog to a server at your ISP's central office. In that case the performance is awesome. If your ISP does not participate in this program and you connect to their central servers (they have multiple sites in the US and try to connect you to the closest), your performance will vary, depending on the quality of your route to the servers and the load that the servers are under.

In my opinion, the only way they will be successful with 4K streaming will be to drive more large ISPs to co-locate servers. I have a hard time understanding why every ISP does not do this. Netflix does not charge them for it, they provide all hardware and support, and configures the setup to update the server and download new videos during the non-peak times. For the most part, the bandwidth that is used is all internal and the ISP does not have to pay for it. For whatever reason, some ISPs refuse to participate and then push on Netflix to reimburse them for lost traffic (Ala Comcast). I expect this to happen much more often when 4k starts becoming the norm. That will drive up subscription rates for us so we end up paying more just so we can use the bandwidth we are already paying for. Ridiculous if you ask me.

post #205 of 262 Old 04-22-2014, 10:07 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Its NetFlix throttling you... not necessarily an issue with your FIOS connection. NetFlix has to load balance the bandwidth across all users from their data centers. Even if you have 1TB throughput you'll never get it from NetFlix. Same goes for your company server. What is there upload bandwidth (on their side)? That's typically where a bottleneck occurs- the upload bandwidth of the ISP hosting the server. Its vary unlikely that an ISP allows for one user to get significant amounts of bandwidth on a server- you have to pay for it and most won't. Regardless of what speed you have for download, the server's upload bandwidth is where you're seeing the issue.

That may be true however as I mentioned I tried to download a large file from the company I work for and still had speed issues. The company has a 150 Mbps service and no throttling. So FIOS and/or the company's ISP do not have enough infrastructure to support the load they are currently providing.

Sony KDL-42V4100 LCD TV, Yamaha RX-V665 AV receiver, Sony PS3 slim, Klipsch F-30 speaker system
post #206 of 262 Old 04-22-2014, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan View Post

On top of that, we all have to remember the SpeedTest numbers are, for the most part, the results of perfect conditions for a test. The tool picks the server with the lowest ping to ensure you have a close, low latency connection. Usually these servers are optimized for this testing. In the real world there will be many more hops (routers you pass through) between you and the server. Each of these negatively impacts latency and speed and a single router on the path that is overloaded will dramatically impact performance.

Netflix is even more complicated than speed testing regular sites because there are so many additional variables. When you connect to Netflix, the location of the servers you stream from may vary. In some cases, Netflix will have co-located their entire video catalog to a server at your ISP's central office. In that case the performance is awesome. If your ISP does not participate in this program and you connect to their central servers (they have multiple sites in the US and try to connect you to the closest), your performance will vary, depending on the quality of your route to the servers and the load that the servers are under.

In my opinion, the only way they will be successful with 4K streaming will be to drive more large ISPs to co-locate servers. I have a hard time understanding why every ISP does not do this. Netflix does not charge them for it, they provide all hardware and support, and configures the setup to update the server and download new videos during the non-peak times. For the most part, the bandwidth that is used is all internal and the ISP does not have to pay for it. For whatever reason, some ISPs refuse to participate and then push on Netflix to reimburse them for lost traffic (Ala Comcast). I expect this to happen much more often when 4k starts becoming the norm. That will drive up subscription rates for us so we end up paying more just so we can use the bandwidth we are already paying for. Ridiculous if you ask me.

NetFlix is hosted with Amazon Web Services. They use "edge caching" for the user interface content to speed up loading, but the actual video content is distributed in 4 different data centers which is a lot different when it comes to load time.
post #207 of 262 Old 04-22-2014, 11:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan30306 View Post

NetFlix is hosted with Amazon Web Services.

No its not.

They use Amazon for DRM/traffic management - but the content is hosted elsewhere (3rd party CDNs or Netflix Open Connect depending on ISP)

You can wade through the 183 page Netflix Streaming thread for much information (and misinformation....)

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1089285/netflix-streaming-quality
post #208 of 262 Old 04-22-2014, 01:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wilkinson View Post

It has become pretty clear that the first delivery vehicle for UHD/4K content will be online streaming and downloading. Of course, that will require greater downstream bandwidth than HD, even with the improved efficiency of HEVC compression. At the recent NAB (National Association of Broadcasters) convention, companies were demonstrating UHD bitrates from about 6 to 20 Mbps. Naturally, the higher the bitrate, the better the potential image quality, but that also means a more-expensive data plan.

What's the downstream bandwidth in your home? If you don't know, there are several websites that let you measure it, both downstream and upstream; I use speedtest.net, which yielded the results shown above at my home, where Charter Cable provides my Internet access. Also, I'm curious about whether your broadband Internet access is provided by DSL, cable, or another service, so please leave a comment about that as well.

Like AVS Forum on Facebook
Follow AVS Forum on Twitter
+1 AVS Forum on Google+

Talking ethernet connection or wireless?
post #209 of 262 Old 04-22-2014, 02:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyoAJB View Post

The thing is, that's not representative of ability to receive good speeds, it's what crappy plans people are subscribed to. Around half of US households are passed by Comcast, i.e. they can get 50 or 105mbps internet at a reasonable price. Add in all the other cable providers and some VDSL and fiber, and most of the country can get the bandwidth to stream 4K. Obviously a lot of people are subscribing to slow services. There are still people on DSL who are too cheap to get a decent internet connection. These people really aren't of much concern for streaming 4K content, as if they're too cheap to get a good internet connection, they're definitely not going to go out and buy a 4K TV anytime in the near future. There are definitely people who can't get a fast connection without severe capping (i.e. satellite is 12mbps, LTE is 25-50mbps, but both are heavily capped), and it's definitely a huge problem for them, but that's a small minority.

Some people may also need a better router, be too far away from it, be testing with a device that doesn't have modern wifi (my iPhone 4S tests at 30mbps on my Comcast connection, because it only has N150, whereas my laptop with 3x3 N900 tests at 111mbps) etc, etc.
post #210 of 262 Old 04-22-2014, 02:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Wouldn't have issues with 4K here on Comcast.

Reply Community News & Polls

Tags
Polls

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page