What Is Your Downstream Bandwidth? - Page 9 - AVS Forum
View Poll Results: What Is Your Downstream Bandwidth?
Less than 1 Mbps 7 0.80%
1-3 Mbps 24 2.73%
3-6 Mbps 35 3.98%
6-10 Mbps 48 5.45%
10-15 Mbps 108 12.27%
15-20 Mbps 121 13.75%
More than 20 Mbps 534 60.68%
I don't have broadband Internet access 3 0.34%
Voters: 880. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

post #241 of 262 Old 05-08-2014, 02:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinnEars View Post

I'm a few miles north of Floresville, TX and about 30 miles south of San Antonio. It doesn't help that I'm tucked away 4+ miles off the nearest busy road. This is a fairly poor neighborhood. I bought my two acres here because I could pay cash for it... no mortgage. The plus side is it's quiet except for when neighbors are partying all night. The down side is 10 Mbps is the fastest ISP here. There are basically four options: 1. microwave service which is what I have, 2. DSL which is horrible here, 3. satellite which is always horrible and/or pricey, or 4. connect via cell phone.

I don't know why my speed test results shows Time Warner. My ISP is Ziplink.

That kinda sucks, although it's not horrible. It looks like they are using fixed point wireless, not microwave. I don't think Microwave is used in residential service anywhere in the US. From their graphics it looks like Ubiquiti gear? Are there any data caps?

They are probably buying business class or MetroE from TWC, which is why it is showing up as TWC. It's interesting that they talk about open internet principles on their web site, which is good, but if TWC (soon Comcast) decides to play games, especially on the peering side where business class would be affected as well, then they are just as screwed as anyone else using that ISP. Maybe they have several ISPs that they can connect to upstream if one of the is misbehaving...

To the original point of the thread though, you could barely get 1080p through that, and you wouldn't be able to do 4K...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #242 of 262 Old 05-08-2014, 02:43 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggAW View Post

Quote:

I'm a few miles north of Floresville, TX and about 30 miles south of San Antonio. It doesn't help that I'm tucked away 4+ miles off the nearest busy road. This is a fairly poor neighborhood. I bought my two acres here because I could pay cash for it... no mortgage. The plus side is it's quiet except for when neighbors are partying all night. The down side is 10 Mbps is the fastest ISP here. There are basically four options: 1. microwave service which is what I have, 2. DSL which is horrible here, 3. satellite which is always horrible and/or pricey, or 4. connect via cell phone.

I don't know why my speed test results shows Time Warner. My ISP is Ziplink.

That kinda sucks, although it's not horrible. It looks like they are using fixed point wireless, not microwave. I don't think Microwave is used in residential service anywhere in the US. From their graphics it looks like Ubiquiti gear? Are there any data caps?

They are probably buying business class or MetroE from TWC, which is why it is showing up as TWC. It's interesting that they talk about open internet principles on their web site, which is good, but if TWC (soon Comcast) decides to play games, especially on the peering side where business class would be affected as well, then they are just as screwed as anyone else using that ISP. Maybe they have several ISPs that they can connect to upstream if one of the is misbehaving...

To the original point of the thread though, you could barely get 1080p through that, and you wouldn't be able to do 4K...

I'm not savvy enough to respond to this intelligently. However, the speed test speaks for itself. I pay nearly $55 per month for Zipilnk's BEST/FASTEST service. When I contact them to tell them they suck... they reply with, "No, you suck". LOL!!

RE data caps: I think so but IIRC they generally don't enforce them unless greatly abused. I've never seen an issue with it but I don't download a lot of files. However, if I start downloading hi-res movies.........
post #243 of 262 Old 05-08-2014, 03:41 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Atlanta, over my WiFi network.

3489363506.png
post #244 of 262 Old 05-08-2014, 04:08 PM

This is becoming a "brag about my ISP speed thread" rather than "my ISP speed supports XYZ video" thread. Brag, brag, brag... at least it's quiet here. Good luck in your big city crime areas. It's all about trade-offs. I'll do without the best of the best, thank you very much. If I want to travel to the big city for the best deals on used discs then I can. But the criminals living in rural America aren't likely to bother me here.

EDIT: Hmm... This came off rather rude. Not my intention. I shouldn't post when I'm tired and have had one too many.wink.gif
post #245 of 262 Old 05-08-2014, 06:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 215
Quote:

This is becoming a "brag about my ISP speed thread" rather than "my ISP speed supports XYZ video" thread. Brag, brag, brag... at least it's quiet here. Good luck in your big city crime areas. It's all about trade-offs. I'll do without the best of the best, thank you very much. If I want to travel to the big city for the best deals on used discs then I can. But the criminals living in rural America aren't likely to bother me here.
What's the matter...Nothing to brag about? Of course a thread titled "What Is Your Downstream Bandwidth?" is gonna be about bragging. Pretty pointless though, as most of the responders have used SpeedTest and the nearest server. And most of these ISPs use some form of 'Turbo Boost' on the first hundred MegaBytes or so. A more realistic test (IMO) would be to download an hour or so of video from YouTube or somewhere. wink.gif

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(Just as big an idea thief as)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #246 of 262 Old 05-08-2014, 08:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'm not savvy enough to respond to this intelligently. However, the speed test speaks for itself. I pay nearly $55 per month for Zipilnk's BEST/FASTEST service. When I contact them to tell them they suck... they reply with, "No, you suck". LOL!!

RE data caps: I think so but IIRC they generally don't enforce them unless greatly abused. I've never seen an issue with it but I don't download a lot of files. However, if I start downloading hi-res movies.........

I wouldn't say they suck. For a small ISP that has to use unlicensed wireless for their last mile, and buy connectivity from someone else (i.e. TWC), it's pretty good. It's just not very good in the overall scheme of things. I'm used to a bit of a different situation, here in CT, where the entire state is cable franchised, so everyone has access to at least 20 or 30mbps, a large majority 50mbps, and a good chunk of the state 150mbps.

There are lots of places that aren't big cities and don't have bad crime that have good or excellent broadband options. In fact, the big cities often get the very best (i.e. FIOS) last, or not at all, since they are harder to build in and not as lucrative than the suburbs surrounding the cities. That being said, my minimum speed for internet available somewhere that I would live used to be 20mbps, then 50mbps, I think 80mbps would be my minimum today. Given the part of the country I am in, FIOS will likely be a requirement for my next place to live. They have it a few miles down the road, as well as up in MA.
Quote:
Originally Posted by olyteddy View Post

What's the matter...Nothing to brag about? Of course a thread titled "What Is Your Downstream Bandwidth?" is gonna be about bragging. Pretty pointless though, as most of the responders have used SpeedTest and the nearest server. And most of these ISPs use some form of 'Turbo Boost' on the first hundred MegaBytes or so. A more realistic test (IMO) would be to download an hour or so of video from YouTube or somewhere. wink.gif

SpeedBoost is long gone, at least here on Comcast. I can pull 115mbps continuously for as long as I can find a server to support it. It's actually getting pretty boring, as a TON of people have the same that I have with Comcast Blast!. Even FIOS is slower (for a reasonable price point), although I'd take 80/40 over fiber over 115/11 over DOCSIS any day. My roommates and I have, on occasion, had 3 HD streams going at once, and we probably still weren't using more than 15-20% of our connection.
post #247 of 262 Old 05-08-2014, 08:06 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggAW View Post

I wouldn't say they suck. For a small ISP that has to use unlicensed wireless for their last mile, and buy connectivity from someone else (i.e. TWC), it's pretty good. It's just not very good in the overall scheme of things. I'm used to a bit of a different situation, here in CT, where the entire state is cable franchised, so everyone has access to at least 20 or 30mbps, a large majority 50mbps, and a good chunk of the state 150mbps.

There are lots of places that aren't big cities and don't have bad crime that have good or excellent broadband options. In fact, the big cities often get the very best (i.e. FIOS) last, or not at all, since they are harder to build in and not as lucrative than the suburbs surrounding the cities. That being said, my minimum speed for internet available somewhere that I would live used to be 20mbps, then 50mbps, I think 80mbps would be my minimum today. Given the part of the country I am in, FIOS will likely be a requirement for my next place to live. They have it a few miles down the road, as well as up in MA.
SpeedBoost is long gone, at least here on Comcast. I can pull 115mbps continuously for as long as I can find a server to support it. It's actually getting pretty boring, as a TON of people have the same that I have with Comcast Blast!. Even FIOS is slower (for a reasonable price point), although I'd take 80/40 over fiber over 115/11 over DOCSIS any day. My roommates and I have, on occasion, had 3 HD streams going at once, and we probably still weren't using more than 15-20% of our connection.

Agreed- Comcast sucks as a company, their customer service blows, their techs are the worst.... but when it DOES work; you can't beat the bandwidth. They have invested a ton in capital for backhaul for throughput. The speeds are constant when it works and all that compression crap is gone. Its a YMMV thing.... depends where you are... but regardless as a company they suck in every way. I swear they are the devil. tongue.gif
post #248 of 262 Old 05-09-2014, 04:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan30306 View Post

Agreed- Comcast sucks as a company, their customer service blows, their techs are the worst.... but when it DOES work; you can't beat the bandwidth. They have invested a ton in capital for backhaul for throughput. The speeds are constant when it works and all that compression crap is gone. Its a YMMV thing.... depends where you are... but regardless as a company they suck in every way. I swear they are the devil. tongue.gif

Comcast is an unwieldy behemoth. Their customer service is terrible, some of their techs are really good. So far I've had good experiences with all the ones that I've dealt with, both Comcast and contractors. I'm perfectly happy with their internet, it's the video side that I don't like because of the over-compression. If they went to MPEG-4 and were more careful with their compression, I'd probably be completely happy with the actual service itself. The quality of their tri-muxing has gotten better, but the quality still varies a lot from channel to channel, and it's especially noticeable on 1080i channels, which otherwise give the better quality over 720p. The other big problem they have is that every system is different, because they are still a bunch of little feudal domains, and although they have unified the national channel lineup, my system, a 650mhz system, is missing a whole bunch of channels that nearby 860mhz systems have. They claimed they would rebuild them all, got halfway through and then gave up. They do have some strategy in terms of upgrading more in markets that have competition, like the Boston area, where FIOS gives them a run for their money, but I do appreciate that they give us the speed upgrades as well, even though we have no credible competition in most of the state (U-Verse in some places, that doesn't count). What's even weirder about them is that the market I'm in is the only market in the state to have an overbuilder, and yet it's one of the two worst Comcast systems statewide. It's really bizarre that they wouldn't upgrade us first to compete with the overbuilder, although right now the overbuilder still has analog, so their lineup is even worse than Comcast's. When the overbuilder finally gets with the program and goes all-digital, Comcast has a problem in this market.

The main reason I want FIOS is the non-recompressed (some are transcoded now, as they come in as MPEG-4, but they still give them way more bandwidth) HD channels and better channel lineup. Fiber internet is just icing on the cake.
post #249 of 262 Old 05-12-2014, 10:16 AM
Bass Enabler

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 411 Post(s)
Liked: 796
This is what I have to put up with when I am at work.

: |

3496298628.png

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

- direct pod link

- main website

post #250 of 262 Old 05-12-2014, 10:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Simonian View Post

This is what I have to put up with when I am at work.

: |

3496298628.png
Daumn, that's half the speed the Mars Rover Opportunity gets when communicating with Earth. Except your latency is MUCH MUCH better, lmao...

EDIT: ERR, sorry, you speed is better than the Mars rover. I missread your results. The Mars Rover gets 128 KBPS both ways.
Scott Simonian likes this.
post #251 of 262 Old 05-12-2014, 10:24 AM
Bass Enabler

LMFAO!!!!

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

- direct pod link

- main website

post #252 of 262 Old 05-12-2014, 10:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

LMFAO!!!!

Apparently its different now. On Curiosity, they can change the bitrate at will depending on the perceived conditions of the space between us and the martian surface. A few years ago I read that the high quality link can be sustained at 128 kbps for several hours at most, but that it can go as high as 32,000 bits per second at 8ghz on the x-band. And from the Orbiter to Curiosity it can be as high as 250 MB/s. Sadly the total amount of data per 24 hour period for Curiosity (to Earth) is a measly 32 Megabytes due to needing Earth in a direct line of sight with as minimal atmosphere as possible (maybe 2 hours tops per day this happens). So figure out what that is for a non stop stream and you have the true average speed.

Latency is 13 minutes 46 seconds or abouts depending of course on the distance from earth at the time of the measurement. It's safe to say, I'd take your 305 ms and half meg anyday of the week over that. lol

EDIT: I wonder if we could talk NASA into asking Curiosity to do a OOKLA speed test and post here in this thread? lol
post #253 of 262 Old 05-12-2014, 10:59 AM
Bass Enabler

If I were on Mars, absolutely.

But I'm just in central California. I'm even in a metropolitan area with LTE speed on my cellphone. This DSL is like worse than 3rd world country internet. Lol.

Some dude on a deserted island using a tin can with a string has faster net than this. tongue.gif

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

- direct pod link

- main website

post #254 of 262 Old 05-12-2014, 11:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

If I were on Mars, absolutely.

But I'm just in central California. I'm even in a metropolitan area with LTE speed on my cellphone. This DSL is like worse than 3rd world country internet. Lol.

Some dude on a deserted island using a tin can with a string has faster net than this. tongue.gif

Yeah my brothers LTE blows my freggin mind. His LTE easily exceeds my 50/5 VDSL+ speeds. This to me anyway, seems to suggest that our ISP's really are sitting on their butts doing nothing for the industry and just taking our money for the heck of it, and for their own nest egg's. At the current rate of technology it is clear we should have been averaging 1GB speeds to every home in America by now, even on the cheaper tiers.
post #255 of 262 Old 05-12-2014, 12:00 PM

Wait!! How is latency different from wait-n-see or late-ta-see??
SkOrPn likes this.
post #256 of 262 Old 05-12-2014, 12:09 PM
Advanced Member

Someone here the other day posted a 0 latency score which to me seems impossible considering that would actually be faster than light speed for transmission in both directions. Even if its just fractions of a ms, it should round up to at least 1 ms. Otherwise I call BS...
post #257 of 262 Old 05-12-2014, 12:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkOrPn View Post

Someone here the other day posted a 0 latency score which to me seems impossible considering that would actually be faster than light speed for transmission in both directions. Even if its just fractions of a ms, it should round up to at least 1 ms. Otherwise I call BS...

Why would it round up? What if it rounded to the nearest ms? Light travels 186.282397 miles per millisecond in a vacuum, and if a round trip has to be under 0.5 ms to round off to zero, that would put the theoretical maximum path length at 46.57 miles between the PC and the server (though actual distance would likely be less if including other delays that don't have to deal with light travel).

My very humble setup:
Man Cave:Vizio E500i-A1 "Smart TV" (50-in 1080p 120Hz LED/LCD, has Netflix app.), Blu-ray players (Sony BDP-S3100, old LG BD390), Roku (the original model: N1000), PC (Windows 7), Comcast Internet (25Mbps/5Mbps).
Bedroom:LG 32LV3400-UA TV (32-in 768p 60Hz LED/LCD), HD DVR (Motorola RNG200N), Xfinity Comcast cable (Digital Starter Package), DVD/VHS player.
post #258 of 262 Old 05-12-2014, 12:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark12547 View Post

Why would it round up? What if it rounded to the nearest ms? Light travels 186.282397 miles per millisecond in a vacuum, and if a round trip has to be under 0.5 ms to round off to zero, that would put the theoretical maximum path length at 46.57 miles between the PC and the server (though actual distance would likely be less if including other delays that don't have to deal with light travel).

Because rounding down is less honest than rounding up. There is no such thing as 0 latency, not now anyway. Maybe when the universe was created, just for a moment during the big bang it was possible, but since then it has not been possible. Either put in tenths, or round up. But 0 latency is impossible, even with the best possible superconductivity materials.
post #259 of 262 Old 05-12-2014, 01:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Quote:

Because rounding down is less honest than rounding up.

Rounding, at least how I have learned it in school, always meant going to the closest displayable value. For example, if my latency is 15.1ms, but the display is just whole ms, I would expect the display to show 15, not 16. Or if the latency was 14.9, again, I would expect this to display as 15ms. To broaden it out, when I see 15ms reported, I expect the range to be at least 14.5 but no higher than 15.5. Other than quibbling about the end points (Does exactly 15.5 round down to 15 or round up to 16?), this is how rounding is understood in the world. And with this understanding, when something like Speedtest measures a latency of 15, I would expect the real value to be within plus or minus 0.5 of 15. But if 0 is reported, our understanding of reality eliminates negative values of latency, so when I see 0 ms for latency, I expect that the real value is between 0 and 0.5ms.

Taking the floor (always "rounding down", so to say) or ceiling (always "rounding up", so to say) to display the result would distort the results more than rounding (dictionary definition) would.

My very humble setup:
Man Cave:Vizio E500i-A1 "Smart TV" (50-in 1080p 120Hz LED/LCD, has Netflix app.), Blu-ray players (Sony BDP-S3100, old LG BD390), Roku (the original model: N1000), PC (Windows 7), Comcast Internet (25Mbps/5Mbps).
Bedroom:LG 32LV3400-UA TV (32-in 768p 60Hz LED/LCD), HD DVR (Motorola RNG200N), Xfinity Comcast cable (Digital Starter Package), DVD/VHS player.
post #260 of 262 Old 05-12-2014, 02:16 PM
Bass Enabler

Quote:

Yeah my brothers LTE blows my freggin mind. His LTE easily exceeds my 50/5 VDSL+ speeds. This to me anyway, seems to suggest that our ISP's really are sitting on their butts doing nothing for the industry and just taking our money for the heck of it, and for their own nest egg's. At the current rate of technology it is clear we should have been averaging 1GB speeds to every home in America by now, even on the cheaper tiers.

Yeah, no kidding. I got this just a couple hours ago.

SkOrPn likes this.

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

- direct pod link

- main website

post #261 of 262 Old 05-12-2014, 03:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Yeah, no kidding. I got this just a couple hours ago.

That looks exactly like my results, except for the upload which is three times better than mine.. lol
post #262 of 262 Old 05-27-2014, 09:48 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I voted "3-6" since we usually sit at right about 5Mbps downstream.

Internet service is through our local cable company.

My wife & I live in Keller TX, as far as I know 10Mbps is the fastest speed available here (or at least with our cable company).

Sincerely, the frugal audiophile
Reply Community News & Polls

Tags
Polls

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page