post #151 of 216 Old 05-13-2014, 12:16 PM
Señor Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 287
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggAW View Post

Most cable content is 1080i, but that's where you run into the worst over-compression. I still don't get having such an incredible HT and such a horrible DVR system.
Yeah, cable would look really rough on that! For sure, the $6 HDX rentals are great.

I beginning to get the feeling you don't like Comcast DVR's ... tongue.gif

It does what I need it to do, is $10 a month and, I get a new one of it breaks. That works for me but again, I don't use it much in the HT room as broadcast quality just isn't there for my screen size. smile.gif

HToM

"Well, la di fricken da."!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 216 Old 05-13-2014, 04:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMK! View Post

I beginning to get the feeling you don't like Comcast DVR's ... tongue.gif

It does what I need it to do, is $10 a month and, I get a new one of it breaks. That works for me but again, I don't use it much in the HT room as broadcast quality just isn't there for my screen size. smile.gif

I don't think anyone likes the Comcast DVR... most people just put up with it because for whatever reason they don't get TiVo. X1 arguably has as good of an interface as TiVo, but it has a measly 500GB of storage, only 4 tuners, and even more so than the regular Comcast Motorola/ Sci Atlanta DVRs, it costs more than TiVo.

A few real enthusiasts use Windows MCE, but it's not nearly as user friendly as TiVo.
post #153 of 216 Old 05-14-2014, 07:29 AM
Señor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggAW View Post

I don't think anyone likes the Comcast DVR... most people just put up with it because for whatever reason they don't get TiVo. X1 arguably has as good of an interface as TiVo, but it has a measly 500GB of storage, only 4 tuners, and even more so than the regular Comcast Motorola/ Sci Atlanta DVRs, it costs more than TiVo.

A few real enthusiasts use Windows MCE, but it's not nearly as user friendly as TiVo.

Ok I give, I don't like my Comcast DVR ...

Happy now? tongue.gifwink.gif

HToM

post #154 of 216 Old 05-14-2014, 08:09 AM
Señor Member

A tip for live concert music fans. The Joe Bonamassa "An Acoustic Evening at The Vienna Opera House" bluray is just a brilliant performance by an amazing group of musicians. A friend brought the disk along with the new Metallica "Through the Never" bluray to the GTG in March. We didn't get a chance to play them and when he was leaving he couldn't find the disks. Several of us did a thorough search of the house but they were gone. He was very cool about it as he had loaded them onto his HTPC but still it bothered me. Later, I did another search of the HT room but found nothing. I have thought about that periodically and kept expecting that someone who attended had picked them up accidentally and would call or email me but nothing ...

Then yesterday a AVS Forum member PM'd me asking me for the model number of my HT chairs. I went to the HT and tipped my normal seat upside down looking for a tag with the Model # and there was no tag but there jammed in the chairs recline mechanism were the 2 disks. The Metallica plastic box was badly bent but the disks were fine. The Joe Bonamassa disk and cover were undamaged. Mystery solved, disks in tact ... cool.gif

I played the Metallica disk and if your a fan, there is no better recording of their music. I can take it in small doses but I am one generation too old to really have an appreciation of their Heavy Metal assault and posturing. That said, it did sound fantastic for as long as I could take it ... smile.gif

On the other hand, the Joe Bonamassa disk was right up my alley. Five great musicians from different countries with only 3 days of rehearsal, playing all acoustic music on a variety of instruments in the Vienna Opera House. It was a mesmerizing and virtuoso performance by perhaps the best guitar player in the world backed by a collection of gifted musicians playing a assortment instruments (some of which belong in a museum). I listened to the DTS 2.0 and HDMA 5.1 audio tracks and settled on the 5.1. My full range speakers did this amazing music justice and the performance left me wanting more. This bluray is must own for any audiophile. IMHO

HToM

post #155 of 216 Old 05-14-2014, 02:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Ok I give, I don't like my Comcast DVR ...

Happy now? tongue.gifwink.gif

Sure haha. You should check out TiVo!
post #156 of 216 Old 05-15-2014, 02:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:

A tip for live concert music fans. The Joe Bonamassa "An Acoustic Evening at The Vienna Opera House" bluray is just a brilliant performance by an amazing group of musicians. A friend brought the disk along with the new Metallica "Through the Never" bluray to the GTG in March. We didn't get a chance to play them and when he was leaving he couldn't find the disks. Several of us did a thorough search of the house but they were gone. He was very cool about it as he had loaded them onto his HTPC but still it bothered me. Later, I did another search of the HT room but found nothing. I have thought about that periodically and kept expecting that someone who attended had picked them up accidentally and would call or email me but nothing ...

Then yesterday a AVS Forum member PM'd me asking me for the model number of my HT chairs. I went to the HT and tipped my normal seat upside down looking for a tag with the Model # and there was no tag but there jammed in the chairs recline mechanism were the 2 disks. The Metallica plastic box was badly bent but the disks were fine. The Joe Bonamassa disk and cover were undamaged. Mystery solved, disks in tact ... cool.gif

I played the Metallica disk and if your a fan, there is no better recording of their music. I can take it in small doses but I am one generation too old to really have an appreciation of their Heavy Metal assault and posturing. That said, it did sound fantastic for as long as I could take it ... smile.gif

On the other hand, the Joe Bonamassa disk was right up my alley. Five great musicians from different countries with only 3 days of rehearsal, playing all acoustic music on a variety of instruments in the Vienna Opera House. It was a mesmerizing and virtuoso performance by perhaps the best guitar player in the world backed by a collection of gifted musicians playing a assortment instruments (some of which belong in a museum). I listened to the DTS 2.0 and HDMA 5.1 audio tracks and settled on the 5.1. My full range speakers did this amazing music justice and the performance left me wanting more. This bluray is must own for any audiophile. IMHO

RMK, I hope you don't mind a suggestion.. if you like acoustics.. this one is great!

http://www.amazon.com/Yanni-Live-Morro-Puerto-Blu-ray/dp/B009F9FQL0/ref=sr_1_2?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1400147206&sr=1-2&keywords=Yanni-Live+From+El+Morro%2C+Puerto+Rico

Yanni - Live From El Morro...

I use the Nightingale track to show off my 212s without fail... This is the single most spectacular Live Video that showcase the 'live nature' and 'acoustics' nature of the JTRs...
post #157 of 216 Old 05-15-2014, 07:22 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked: 383
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdome View Post

See the shoulder in the yellow shirt on the far left of the last picture - that's me. I made it into a Theater of the Month thread. cool.gif

I had a chance to attend Rob's GTG in March and his theater is wonderful. As you can tell from the picture, the theater is a very open, well lit, inviting place to be. However, it can be completely darkened for movie watching. His system has excellent dynamics, great bass, and is very detailed with a picture that matches the audio quality.
The center speaker is always acting as a subwoofer - even for stereo sources. He actually gets a single wave of bass from the front of the room that measured very smooth from seat to seat.

You mean almost half of you made it into a theater of the month thread. biggrin.gif

That is more than me. smile.gif

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI & many more.
Klipsch, RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.
post #158 of 216 Old 05-15-2014, 08:03 AM
Señor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolgeek View Post

RMK, I hope you don't mind a suggestion.. if you like acoustics.. this one is great!

http://www.amazon.com/Yanni-Live-Morro-Puerto-Blu-ray/dp/B009F9FQL0/ref=sr_1_2?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1400147206&sr=1-2&keywords=Yanni-Live+From+El+Morro%2C+Puerto+Rico

Yanni - Live From El Morro...

I use the Nightingale track to show off my 212s without fail... This is the single most spectacular Live Video that showcase the 'live nature' and 'acoustics' nature of the JTRs...

I love suggestions re quality recordings ... cool.gif

Unfortunately, I have a no Yanni/John Tesh rule that I have held strong on for years. I have always found the over produced, grandiose rock orchestra thing a little hard to swallow. While the multi-layered nature of the music is compelling and can push a loudspeaker to it's limits, in the end I find it very unsatisfying.

That said, and trying to keep an open mind, I will check it out on youtube. smile.gif

HToM

post #159 of 216 Old 05-15-2014, 09:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I love suggestions re quality recordings ... cool.gif

Unfortunately, I have a no Yanni/John Tesh rule that I have held strong on for years. I have always found the over produced, grandiose rock orchestra thing a little hard to swallow. While the multi-layered nature of the music is compelling and can push a loudspeaker to it's limits, in the end I find it very unsatisfying.

That said, and trying to keep an open mind, I will check it out on youtube. smile.gif

HAHA.. I used to go to sleep with my college girlfriend listening to yanni (CDs)...

Anyways, download the Nightingale clip from youtube and listen on your speakers... if it doesn't put goosebumps on you, you'll have to donate your 215s to me...tongue.gif

Ok, here's the best recording i have ever listened to (DTS recording that is, I have heard better high def Audio recordings, like those made by Chesky)

http://www.amazon.com/Roy-Orbison-Black-White-Blu-ray/dp/B0017XFP4U

Roy Orbison - Black and White
post #160 of 216 Old 05-15-2014, 09:44 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked: 383
RMK congrats on theater of the month. Having owned JTR speakers and other high sensitivity designs, I know it has to be an awesome experience in your HT. smile.gif

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI & many more.
Klipsch, RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.
post #161 of 216 Old 05-15-2014, 11:02 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 29
First of all, congrats on the journey. It is fun! I love great dynamics and those JTR's look amazing.

I have to comment to this guy though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdg View Post

Ps. I would say that the room correction aspect of DSP is a very small part of the equation. Personally I believe the digital crossovers and smart time/phase alignment of the sub is at least as important and HUGELY relevant. While, in theory, a piecemeal approach using an outboard DSP processor might yield some improvements you won't be bypassing the passive crossovers of your speakers. Even you did pull out the crossovers and use DSP technology to built digital ones yourself, you're unlikely to have the same engineering know how to pick the perfect crossover characteristics as the engineers who designed the speakers. This is one of the areas where the ground up approach (employed by Genelec) yields massive dividends. Every thing is optimized to work efficiently and effectively together . Saying that "it's not exactly hard to achieve the same thing with mini DSP" is like saying that simply adding a computer chip a cobbled together car is going to turn it into a formula one racing machine. You would need to know the exact characteristics of all the components of your car in order to engineer the software to optimize it's performance. This is why the "old school" approach of audiophiles which randomly throws together disparate components is completely outdated. It's like old school street racers who used to build hot rods from a mishmash of selected parts. This strategy can't possibly approach what is possible from highly skilled formula one engineers building a car from the ground up and with each and every component optimized to function within the entire system.

Sorry to burst your bubble there, but diy community has been doing this for a long time. DSP to each speaker without a cross-over. We do it for initial measurements and then add passive.
And no it isn't hard to achieve the same thing with a mini DSP. The "old school" approach that you mention is not done by randomly throwing components together. You would know this if you designed speakers. The voicing is still done by ear that no current measurement system can capture, which is where experience comes in, not some frequency graph. There is no engineering know how to pick the perfect crossover, which also shows you don't know what you are talking about. I'm glad the Genelec marketing team has gotten to you though. You should stop by the PETT forums and you might learn something, including time alignment.
jbrown15 likes this.
post #162 of 216 Old 05-15-2014, 04:48 PM
Señor Member

Quote:

HAHA.. I used to go to sleep with my college girlfriend listening to yanni (CDs)...

Anyways, download the Nightingale clip from youtube and listen on your speakers... if it doesn't put goosebumps on you, you'll have to donate your 215s to me...tongue.gif

Ok, here's the best recording i have ever listened to (DTS recording that is, I have heard better high def Audio recordings, like those made by Chesky)

http://www.amazon.com/Roy-Orbison-Black-White-Blu-ray/dp/B0017XFP4U

Roy Orbison - Black and White

Yeah, Yanni makes me yawn too. wink.gif

Ok,ok I'll listen to Nightengale and keep an eye out for goosebumps.

BTW, I have that Roy Orbison BR and agree it sounds fantastic. smile.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post

RMK congrats on theater of the month. Having owned JTR speakers and other high sensitivity designs, I know it has to be an awesome experience in your HT. smile.gif

Thanks Mike, I hope you get an opportunity to hear the 215's at some point. I owe you for the great video in my HT. That little Sony punches above it's weight class. smile.gif

HToM

post #163 of 216 Old 05-17-2014, 06:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 662
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demidemon View Post

Fair enough. It's just a shame Scott didn't say that instead of "You say tomato, I say tomahto". After all it's a fundamental principle of audio reproduction and loudspeaker basics.
Yeah, I've had a look around teh webz since reading this thread as I'd not heard of them before. They look awesome for producing pretty good fidelity in a large room at high SPLs. Just the things for a large HT in fact.

BTW love the HT! wink.gif

Before making a huge stink about whether the large driver meets your personal(flawed) understanding of what constitutes a "woofer" or a "subwoofer", you would see the the driver used in those speakers would more accurately be defined as a subwoofer, as it digs down to the lower frequencies that subwoofers are designed to reproduce, lower than what typical 40Hz plus woofers produce which therefore require the addition of a separate subwoofer.  Crack open a dictionary and look up the definition of woofer and subwoofer, and stop derailing this thread with you terminology sensitivity that is based on false understandings of the definition of woofer and subwoofer.

AVR:       Yamaha RXV-375

Display:  Panasonic  TH-50PC77U

LCR:       Hsu HB1.2  HC1.2

Sub:       (2) PSA XV15se

Blu Ray:  Sony BDP-S5100

Apple TV

Harmony 650

miniDSP

post #164 of 216 Old 05-17-2014, 08:42 AM
Señor Member

I challenge anyone to listen to this acoustic Joe Bonnamassa bluray or this Lawrence Juber AIX DVD-A acoustic recording and then refer to these speakers as having "pretty good fidelity".

That, is a whopper of an understatement ... smile.gif

I had a pretty good crowd in the HT last night and played parts of both of these excellent recordings. Everyone was stunned by the sound quality and we never got louder than -15db reference. Sure they can rock out better than anything I have heard, but the musical fidelity is there in spades ... cool.gif

HToM

post #165 of 216 Old 05-17-2014, 09:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I challenge anyone to listen to this acoustic Joe Bonnamassa bluray or this Lawrence Juber AIX DVD-A acoustic recording and then refer to these speakers as having "pretty good fidelity".

That, is a whopper of an understatement ... smile.gif

I had a pretty good crowd in the HT last night and played parts of both of these excellent recordings. Everyone was stunned by the sound quality and we never got louder than -15db reference. Sure they can rock out better than anything I have heard, but the musical fidelity is there in spades ... cool.gif

In my opinion the fidelity is at the top of the rung. Check out chesky high fidelity recordings.
post #166 of 216 Old 05-19-2014, 08:01 AM
Señor Member

Quote:

In my opinion the fidelity is at the top of the rung. Check out chesky high fidelity recordings.

The Chesky HIFI recordings are wonderful. Audioholics gave the JRT 215RT's a brief but complimentary mention in their AXPONA review. I think everyone who sees them is a bit taken back by the size and intimidating looks. It like the brain says these cannot be hi fidelity speakers. After many hours of listening I can assure you, they are. smile.gif

HToM

post #167 of 216 Old 05-19-2014, 01:31 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Great post Rob and Scott. Thanks for sharing and ENJOY!
post #168 of 216 Old 05-19-2014, 08:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 501 Post(s)
Liked: 805
Quote:

The Chesky HIFI recordings are wonderful. Audioholics gave the JRT 215RT's a brief but complimentary mention in their AXPONA review. I think everyone who sees them is a bit taken back by the size and intimidating looks. It like the brain says these cannot be hi fidelity speakers. After many hours of listening I can assure you, they are. smile.gif

Man I can't believe how many $50,000+ speakers there was at AXPONA confused.gif Is there really that big of a market for such expensive speakers? I would love to hear about the 215RT's putting a few of those supposed "full range" speakers in their place! smile.gif

My Gear:

JTR Noesis 228HT (LCR)
Axiom Audio QS8 surrounds
Sherbourn PA 7-350
Pioneer VSX-21TXH
JVC RS45
Falcon Screens FVHD105
Dual PSA XS30's (gone but not forgotten)
post #169 of 216 Old 05-20-2014, 07:30 AM
Señor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown15 View Post

Man I can't believe how many $50,000+ speakers there was at AXPONA confused.gif Is there really that big of a market for such expensive speakers? I would love to hear about the 215RT's putting a few of those supposed "full range" speakers in their place! smile.gif

I believe the 215RT will be making another appearance at the Rocky Mountain Audio Fest his fall. That would be an excellent opportunity to compare the 215's to some of the "high end" products.

HToM

post #170 of 216 Old 05-21-2014, 11:31 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
why do people still sit so far away from the screen.
I just do not get it. Period. You spend all that money getting a bigger screen and then sit further back still. Why bother with the bigger screen then?
post #171 of 216 Old 05-21-2014, 01:02 PM
Señor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by schloss View Post

why do people still sit so far away from the screen.
I just do not get it. Period. You spend all that money getting a bigger screen and then sit further back still. Why bother with the bigger screen then?

Not sure if you were referring to my HT but I sit about 12' from a 12' wide FP screen. That is pretty close and IMHO, the experience is more immerse than any theater outside of real IMAX. smile.gif

HToM

post #172 of 216 Old 05-21-2014, 02:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked: 467
Quote:

Not sure if you were referring to my HT but I sit about 12' from a 12' wide FP screen. That is pretty close and IMHO, the experience is more immerse than any theater outside of real IMAX. smile.gif

Is that 12 wide 2:35:1 or 16:9? I'm assuming 2:35:1, if so we are very similar. My head is 11' 6" away from 12' 2" wide screen and I wouldn't want to be any closer.
post #173 of 216 Old 05-21-2014, 05:32 PM
Señor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post

Is that 12 wide 2:35:1 or 16:9? I'm assuming 2:35:1, if so we are very similar. My head is 11' 6" away from 12' 2" wide screen and I wouldn't want to be any closer.

Hi Carp, it's a 16:9 screen 120" wide. Diag. is 138".

The IMAX format content looks awesome on a 16:9 smile.gif

HToM

post #174 of 216 Old 05-21-2014, 06:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hi Carp, it's a 16:9 screen 120" wide. Diag. is 138".

The IMAX format content looks awesome on a 16:9 smile.gif

I bet it does - helps to have that tall ceiling!
post #175 of 216 Old 05-22-2014, 09:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I bet it does - helps to have that tall ceiling!

16:9 is so much better than Scope. They should all follow Jame's Cameron's footsteps and release their Blu-Ray in 16:9 format as most people have 16:9 tvs anyways.. and 16:9 on a large projector screen is so incredible compared to Scope... so much more immerssive...
post #176 of 216 Old 05-22-2014, 04:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

16:9 is so much better than Scope. They should all follow Jame's Cameron's footsteps and release their Blu-Ray in 16:9 format as most people have 16:9 tvs anyways.. and 16:9 on a large projector screen is so incredible compared to Scope... so much more immerssive...

I disagree with that. I LOVE the wider image. To each his own though! smile.gif
post #177 of 216 Old 05-22-2014, 05:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 241
The 16:9 is a great dimension with a sufficiently large enough screen while watching from closer range.

To me, "perfect" would be 8k screen where the image reaches across to my peripheral vision in every direction. The cinemascope style format is decent as well but I would want the resolution and massive size to be preserved. I would stil want the top and bottom my vision to be all screen.

Blazar!
post #178 of 216 Old 05-22-2014, 07:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazar View Post

The 16:9 is a great dimension with a sufficiently large enough screen while watching from closer range.

To me, "perfect" would be 8k screen where the image reaches across to my peripheral vision in every direction. The cinemascope style format is decent as well but I would want the resolution and massive size to be preserved. I would stil want the top and bottom my vision to be all screen.

Exactly.

With 4k 16.9 is definitely superior as you can sit very close and have your to down left right peripheral vision filled.

When I was watching 3d on the sony 4k I was standing 6 feet away from a 10 feet wide screen and felt like I was there in the movie instead of looking at a screen. You can't do that with scope.

For 2k projectors where you have to sit further scope might be ok
post #179 of 216 Old 05-22-2014, 07:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I disagree with that. I LOVE the wider image. To each his own though! smile.gif

With a 4k projector you can have the image just as wide but taller and sit closer. Thats immersive
post #180 of 216 Old 05-22-2014, 08:19 PM
AVS Special Member

16:9 is so good because it was designed as a compromise. Since most material today is 16:9, it works well, 4:3 content isn't too out of place, nor is 2.35:1 content. Not sure why anyone would stray from 16:9, as it works very well.
Reply Community News & Polls

Tags
Home Theater Of The Month

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page