HT of the Month: Extraordinary Evolution - Page 8 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!


Forum Jump: 
 27Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #211 of 233 Old 06-07-2014, 10:12 AM
Señor Member
 
RMK!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: 95608
Posts: 6,752
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 931 Post(s)
Liked: 766
Quote:
Originally Posted by pokeme View Post

Awesome theater. I liked that it isn't a dark dungeon like mine in the basement. Scares the kids a bit so I usually get first dibs...

I'd really really like to hear the full range jtr's!

Thanks, the dungeon effect was something that I wanted to avoid and although that does at times compromise the video quality, it is a good tradeoff IMHO. This is especially true when listening to music which I am doing much more frequently with the new full range speakers. Natural light is important to me. smile.gif
pokeme likes this.

HToM Extraordinary Evolution

Opinions are not facts.
RMK! is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #212 of 233 Old 06-08-2014, 10:53 AM
Newbie
 
rjschmoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
" 20-foot-high family room that he divided vertically by installing a ceiling"
Vertically ? or horizontally ??

All of those changes within 2 months- wow! Seems like it must have been .. install it. listen for a day - nope I don't like it, swap it...
Envious of the final product but not of the process: I would have gone nuts!
rjschmoe is offline  
post #213 of 233 Old 06-09-2014, 06:12 PM
Señor Member
 
RMK!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: 95608
Posts: 6,752
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 931 Post(s)
Liked: 766
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjschmoe View Post

" 20-foot-high family room that he divided vertically by installing a ceiling"
Vertically ? or horizontally ??

All of those changes within 2 months- wow! Seems like it must have been .. install it. listen for a day - nope I don't like it, swap it...
Envious of the final product but not of the process: I would have gone nuts!

confused.gifsmile.gif

I halved the 19.5' X 22' X 20' (WDH) family room height wise creating a new space out of the top half of the room. The new ceiling/floor is as you might expect, a horizontal structure.

The changes of hardware happened over several years. Two months for all of the speaker changes would have been a very aggressive timeline even for me ... tongue.gif

HToM Extraordinary Evolution

Opinions are not facts.
RMK! is offline  
post #214 of 233 Old 06-09-2014, 10:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
Scott Wilkinson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Burbank, CA
Posts: 1,695
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 678 Post(s)
Liked: 2076
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjschmoe View Post

" 20-foot-high family room that he divided vertically by installing a ceiling"
Vertically ? or horizontally ??

All of those changes within 2 months- wow! Seems like it must have been .. install it. listen for a day - nope I don't like it, swap it...
Envious of the final product but not of the process: I would have gone nuts!


He divided the 20-foot-high family room in the vertical dimension into a room below and a room above.

RMK! likes this.

Scott Wilkinson
AVS Editor
Scott Wilkinson is online now  
post #215 of 233 Old 06-23-2014, 08:36 PM
AVS Special Member
 
ransac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Tryon, NC
Posts: 4,637
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Congrats on the HToM, Rob.

I attended Rob's first GTG. It was just me and him, but we had some fun. This was an unstructured comparison of his existing DD18 and the F-113 he was considering. We did this in the two-story family room before it was divided for the upstairs HT. I attended two more GTGs, the first was a shootout between KWEEZER's dual PB13Us and Rob's dual F-113s. This was done in his new upstairs HT which meant the Ultras had to be manhandled up the steps. No easy task. I don't remember his equipment at the third GTG, but I think it was the THSPUDS with the BIG beanbag on top.

If you have an opportunity to attend one of Rob's GTGs, don't miss it. Rob is a gracious host even if his refreshments consist only of cheap beer and stale crackers. (wink wink)


Well, all the best to you Rob. It was a pleasure knowing you. Now that I live on the east coast and own my own business, I probably will never get back to Sac. So here's hoping you find your AV nirvana.

Randy

Last edited by ransac; 06-23-2014 at 08:44 PM.
ransac is online now  
post #216 of 233 Old 06-26-2014, 05:13 PM
Señor Member
 
RMK!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: 95608
Posts: 6,752
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 931 Post(s)
Liked: 766
Hey Randy, great to hear from you ...

Yes, that was my first invite of an AVS'er into my home to play with subwoofers. You almost succeeded in making me never want to do it again ...

Good that you are are still in the AV game and if you do ever make it back out this way, I've always got cheap beer in the fridge and stale crackers in the pantry.


Quote:
Originally Posted by ransac View Post
I attended Rob's first GTG. It was just me and him, but we had some fun. This was an unstructured comparison of his existing DD18 and the F-113 he was considering. We did this in the two-story family room before it was divided for the upstairs HT. I attended two more GTGs, the first was a shootout between KWEEZER's dual PB13Us and Rob's dual F-113s. This was done in his new upstairs HT which meant the Ultras had to be manhandled up the steps. No easy task. I don't remember his equipment at the third GTG, but I think it was the THSPUDS with the BIG beanbag on top.

If you have an opportunity to attend one of Rob's GTGs, don't miss it. Rob is a gracious host even if his refreshments consist only of cheap beer and stale crackers. (wink wink)


Well, all the best to you Rob. It was a pleasure knowing you. Now that I live on the east coast and own my own business, I probably will never get back to Sac. So here's hoping you find your AV nirvana.

HToM Extraordinary Evolution

Opinions are not facts.
RMK! is offline  
post #217 of 233 Old 10-25-2014, 12:52 PM
Member
 
Jsin_N's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 24
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMK! View Post
Quote:Originally Posted by imagic 

From parts express...

What's the difference between a woofer and a subwoofer?

"These terms have become almost interchangeable, and there is definitely a gray area between the two. The difference can be in the woofer itself, or how the woofer is being used. A raw speaker or "driver" that we call a subwoofer generally has a limited frequency response range, often not extending above about 400 Hz. A standard "woofer" can have frequency response easily reaching 2500 Hz or higher. This upper limit is a function of electrical and mechanical characteristics; often the large voice coil inductances on high-excursion subwoofers limit their high-frequency capabilities. It is a matter of compromise in the design of the woofer: trying to achieve good high frequency performance generally will cause poor low frequency and power handling abilities, while producing a powerful subwoofer with ultra-low frequency abilities and high power handling will not be able to play well at higher frequencies. However, if a wider-range woofer is used only below 80 Hz or so it could be called a subwoofer due to how it is being implemented."
Consider that the Noesis 215 has a crossover to those 15-inch drivers set at 350 Hz. Those sub/woofer drivers are right smack in the middle of the gray area, housed in an enclosure that behaves like a large low-tuned vented sub.


Ladies and gents, we have a winner ...

That is exactly why the woofers were custom built for this particular application. Jeff went through 3 iterations of driver prototype's to get the performance he wanted eg 95db sensitivity and a FR of 18hz-24khz (-3db). With room gain, these "subwoofers" play flat to approx 15hz. That is exactly the performance I was looking for in a full range speaker but could never find.
I don't think I'd use Parts Express as an end all for this discussion. They're a warehouse that sources a few drivers. Several others definitely do not agree with this statement. At 350Hz, and integrated, they're woofers.
Jsin_N is offline  
post #218 of 233 Old 10-25-2014, 12:57 PM
Member
 
Jsin_N's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 24
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Nice setup, by the way.
Jsin_N is offline  
post #219 of 233 Old 11-08-2014, 10:45 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
It's a Great looking setup. How long did it from 1.1 to Phase 5.0?
Jstohl is offline  
post #220 of 233 Old 11-23-2014, 08:40 AM
Señor Member
 
RMK!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: 95608
Posts: 6,752
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 931 Post(s)
Liked: 766
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstohl View Post
It's a Great looking setup. How long did it from 1.1 to Phase 5.0?
Thanks, I built the room in 2005. The last major speaker change was this year so 9 years. Time flies ...

HToM Extraordinary Evolution

Opinions are not facts.
RMK! is offline  
post #221 of 233 Old 03-10-2015, 06:44 AM
Member
 
nash23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Dubai, UAE
Posts: 54
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Excellent system.

Nice that you got to experience each phase.
RMK! likes this.

Panasonic PT-AE7000 | Denon 4311 | Emotiva XPA-2/5 | JTR Single 8ht-LP for LR | Deftech Procinema 1000 surrounds | Seaton Submersive HPi+/Slave Subwoofers
nash23 is online now  
post #222 of 233 Old 03-14-2015, 11:07 AM
Señor Member
 
RMK!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: 95608
Posts: 6,752
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 931 Post(s)
Liked: 766
Just when you think you are finished upgrading, along comes a new technology that just has to be tried. Say hello to my little friend ... Atmos.

Gone are the surround backs and added are these JBL ceiling mounted Height speakersfor a Atmos 5.1.4 setup.

HToM Extraordinary Evolution

Opinions are not facts.
RMK! is offline  
post #223 of 233 Old 03-14-2015, 12:19 PM
AVS Special Member
 
coolgeek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 2,173
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 485 Post(s)
Liked: 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMK! View Post
Just when you think you are finished upgrading, along comes a new technology that just has to be tried. Say hello to my little friend ... Atmos.

Gone are the surround backs and added are these JBL ceiling mounted Height speakersfor a Atmos 5.1.4 setup.
Why remove the surround backs? As good as a 5.1.4 is, a 7.1.4 is better..
coolgeek is offline  
post #224 of 233 Old 03-16-2015, 07:46 AM
Señor Member
 
RMK!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: 95608
Posts: 6,752
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 931 Post(s)
Liked: 766
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolgeek View Post
Why remove the surround backs? As good as a 5.1.4 is, a 7.1.4 is better..
I might revisit this at some point but as the system stands right now, I can't see the need. More isn't always better ...

HToM Extraordinary Evolution

Opinions are not facts.
RMK! is offline  
post #225 of 233 Old 03-16-2015, 07:57 AM
AVS Special Member
 
coolgeek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 2,173
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 485 Post(s)
Liked: 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMK! View Post
I might revisit this at some point but as the system stands right now, I can't see the need. More isn't always better ...
If your initial setup of 7.1 works for you, it should work for Atmos as well... because the base sountrack is 7.1 in atmos... In your setup, i believe (my opinion), it should give you a more immersive soundfield... I find going from 5.1 to 7.1 a huge improvement in my own setup... even when sitting at the back-row...

coolgeek is offline  
post #226 of 233 Old 03-16-2015, 11:22 AM
Señor Member
 
RMK!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: 95608
Posts: 6,752
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 931 Post(s)
Liked: 766
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolgeek View Post
If your initial setup of 7.1 works for you, it should work for Atmos as well... because the base sountrack is 7.1 in atmos... In your setup, i believe (my opinion), it should give you a more immersive soundfield... I find going from 5.1 to 7.1 a huge improvement in my own setup... even when sitting at the back-row...

My back row is on a 12" platform and approx 2' from the back wall. That setup is not good for SB placement at ear or slightly above level as the speakers would be right behind the heads for back row occupants. The SB's position and firing angle was fine for the front row but over the heads in the back row. That is less than ideal and honestly, I found the SB's didn't contribute much to an immersive sound field in the front row either. With many DTS and Dolby uncompressed and non-upmixed audio tracks being 5.1 they were in fact often silent.

The original high wall placement might be good for Surround Height Rear (and a 5.1.6) setup but that option is tabled until the dust settles on DTS-X etc.

Glad you like your SB's though ...

HToM Extraordinary Evolution

Opinions are not facts.
RMK! is offline  
post #227 of 233 Old 03-16-2015, 11:56 AM
AVS Special Member
 
coolgeek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 2,173
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 485 Post(s)
Liked: 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMK! View Post
My back row is on a 12" platform and approx 2' from the back wall. That setup is not good for SB placement at ear or slightly above level as the speakers would be right behind the heads for back row occupants. The SB's position and firing angle was fine for the front row but over the heads in the back row. That is less than ideal and honestly, I found the SB's didn't contribute much to an immersive sound field in the front row either. With many DTS and Dolby uncompressed and non-upmixed audio tracks being 5.1 they were in fact often silent.

The original high wall placement might be good for Surround Height Rear (and a 5.1.6) setup but that option is tabled until the dust settles on DTS-X etc.

Glad you like your SB's though ...
Actually my surround backs are also 1 feet from the back-seats... With the Slant 8s, they seem to do a great job..

As for tracks being 5.1, initially i had that problem.. i was wondering why my back speakers were silent.. then i turned on some upmixing on my receiver.. usually to Thx Cinema, or something else.. as long as the back speakers are upmixed, i am happy.. .now, with any content, i get the back speakers to sound as well.. what i do is set the levels of the back speakers properly and for some reason now, wherever you sit, it still sounds fantastic... (BTW: all my surrounds are just below the ceilings.. not down low).
coolgeek is offline  
post #228 of 233 Old 03-23-2015, 03:27 PM
AVS Special Member
 
doublewing11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Timber Country!
Posts: 4,773
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 526
I find it interesting..............

Serious audio talk in this HToM thread..................................


Why not popcorn makers?
doublewing11 is offline  
post #229 of 233 Old 03-23-2015, 07:46 PM
Señor Member
 
RMK!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: 95608
Posts: 6,752
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 931 Post(s)
Liked: 766
Quote:
Originally Posted by doublewing11 View Post
I find it interesting..............

Serious audio talk in this HToM thread..................................


Why not popcorn makers?
Touché Cory. I apologize for off tracking of your terrific HT Thread. You have built one of the best looking, well engineered and executed rooms I have seen and it keeps getting better.

HToM Extraordinary Evolution

Opinions are not facts.
RMK! is offline  
post #230 of 233 Old 03-24-2015, 09:42 AM
AVS Special Member
 
doublewing11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Timber Country!
Posts: 4,773
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 526
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMK! View Post
Touché Cory. I apologize for off tracking of your terrific HT Thread. You have built one of the best looking, well engineered and executed rooms I have seen and it keeps getting better.
Why apologize? No need................................

You should run for President.......................Lord knows you probably could do a better job! You're fully of complements! Keep them coming.............

Well, I know first hand your room updating concerning audio/video are top notch!
RMK! likes this.
doublewing11 is offline  
post #231 of 233 Old 04-26-2015, 03:00 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Palos Heights, IL
Posts: 16
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Beautiful theater RMK!
mg316 is offline  
post #232 of 233 Old 05-02-2015, 09:14 AM
Señor Member
 
RMK!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: 95608
Posts: 6,752
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 931 Post(s)
Liked: 766
Quote:
Originally Posted by mg316 View Post
Beautiful theater RMK!
Thank you, I was going for function over form and I believe I achieved that . I don't know if I mentioned this before, but everything I did in the room was structurally "temporary" so that I could easily re-purposing the room. My home is fairly large (3600sf) and although we have no plans to move, when we do decide to move on, the next owners might not like my use of the space.

HToM Extraordinary Evolution

Opinions are not facts.

Last edited by RMK!; 05-02-2015 at 11:54 PM.
RMK! is offline  
post #233 of 233 Old 05-02-2015, 01:00 PM
Member
 
sighting's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 15
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Looks great, congrats
sighting is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Community News & Polls

Tags
Home Theater Of The Month

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off