post #211 of 220 Old 06-07-2014, 11:12 AM
Señor Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked: 402
Quote:
Originally Posted by pokeme View Post

Awesome theater. I liked that it isn't a dark dungeon like mine in the basement. Scares the kids a bit so I usually get first dibs...

I'd really really like to hear the full range jtr's!

Thanks, the dungeon effect was something that I wanted to avoid and although that does at times compromise the video quality, it is a good tradeoff IMHO. This is especially true when listening to music which I am doing much more frequently with the new full range speakers. Natural light is important to me. smile.gif
pokeme likes this.

HToM

"Well, la di fricken da."!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #212 of 220 Old 06-08-2014, 11:53 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
" 20-foot-high family room that he divided vertically by installing a ceiling"
Vertically ? or horizontally ??

All of those changes within 2 months- wow! Seems like it must have been .. install it. listen for a day - nope I don't like it, swap it...
Envious of the final product but not of the process: I would have gone nuts!
post #213 of 220 Old 06-09-2014, 07:12 PM
Señor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjschmoe View Post

All of those changes within 2 months- wow! Seems like it must have been .. install it. listen for a day - nope I don't like it, swap it...

confused.gifsmile.gif

I halved the 19.5' X 22' X 20' (WDH) family room height wise creating a new space out of the top half of the room. The new ceiling/floor is as you might expect, a horizontal structure.

The changes of hardware happened over several years. Two months for all of the speaker changes would have been a very aggressive timeline even for me ... tongue.gif

HToM

post #214 of 220 Old 06-09-2014, 11:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 346 Post(s)
Liked: 1173
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjschmoe View Post

He divided the 20-foot-high family room in the vertical dimension into a room below and a room above.

Scott Wilkinson
AVS Editor
post #215 of 220 Old 06-23-2014, 09:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Congrats on the HToM, Rob.

I attended Rob's first GTG. It was just me and him, but we had some fun. This was an unstructured comparison of his existing DD18 and the F-113 he was considering. We did this in the two-story family room before it was divided for the upstairs HT. I attended two more GTGs, the first was a shootout between KWEEZER's dual PB13Us and Rob's dual F-113s. This was done in his new upstairs HT which meant the Ultras had to be manhandled up the steps. No easy task. I don't remember his equipment at the third GTG, but I think it was the THSPUDS with the BIG beanbag on top.

If you have an opportunity to attend one of Rob's GTGs, don't miss it. Rob is a gracious host even if his refreshments consist only of cheap beer and stale crackers. (wink wink)

Well, all the best to you Rob. It was a pleasure knowing you. Now that I live on the east coast and own my own business, I probably will never get back to Sac. So here's hoping you find your AV nirvana.

Randy

Last edited by ransac; 06-23-2014 at 09:44 PM.
post #216 of 220 Old 06-26-2014, 06:13 PM
Señor Member

Hey Randy, great to hear from you ...

Yes, that was my first invite of an AVS'er into my home to play with subwoofers. You almost succeeded in making me never want to do it again ...

Good that you are are still in the AV game and if you do ever make it back out this way, I've always got cheap beer in the fridge and stale crackers in the pantry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ransac View Post
I attended Rob's first GTG. It was just me and him, but we had some fun. This was an unstructured comparison of his existing DD18 and the F-113 he was considering. We did this in the two-story family room before it was divided for the upstairs HT. I attended two more GTGs, the first was a shootout between KWEEZER's dual PB13Us and Rob's dual F-113s. This was done in his new upstairs HT which meant the Ultras had to be manhandled up the steps. No easy task. I don't remember his equipment at the third GTG, but I think it was the THSPUDS with the BIG beanbag on top.

If you have an opportunity to attend one of Rob's GTGs, don't miss it. Rob is a gracious host even if his refreshments consist only of cheap beer and stale crackers. (wink wink)

Well, all the best to you Rob. It was a pleasure knowing you. Now that I live on the east coast and own my own business, I probably will never get back to Sac. So here's hoping you find your AV nirvana.

HToM

post #217 of 220 Old 10-25-2014, 01:52 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMK! View Post
Quote:Originally Posted by imagic 

From parts express...

What's the difference between a woofer and a subwoofer?

"These terms have become almost interchangeable, and there is definitely a gray area between the two. The difference can be in the woofer itself, or how the woofer is being used. A raw speaker or "driver" that we call a subwoofer generally has a limited frequency response range, often not extending above about 400 Hz. A standard "woofer" can have frequency response easily reaching 2500 Hz or higher. This upper limit is a function of electrical and mechanical characteristics; often the large voice coil inductances on high-excursion subwoofers limit their high-frequency capabilities. It is a matter of compromise in the design of the woofer: trying to achieve good high frequency performance generally will cause poor low frequency and power handling abilities, while producing a powerful subwoofer with ultra-low frequency abilities and high power handling will not be able to play well at higher frequencies. However, if a wider-range woofer is used only below 80 Hz or so it could be called a subwoofer due to how it is being implemented."
Consider that the Noesis 215 has a crossover to those 15-inch drivers set at 350 Hz. Those sub/woofer drivers are right smack in the middle of the gray area, housed in an enclosure that behaves like a large low-tuned vented sub.

Ladies and gents, we have a winner ...

That is exactly why the woofers were custom built for this particular application. Jeff went through 3 iterations of driver prototype's to get the performance he wanted eg 95db sensitivity and a FR of 18hz-24khz (-3db). With room gain, these "subwoofers" play flat to approx 15hz. That is exactly the performance I was looking for in a full range speaker but could never find.
I don't think I'd use Parts Express as an end all for this discussion. They're a warehouse that sources a few drivers. Several others definitely do not agree with this statement. At 350Hz, and integrated, they're woofers.
post #218 of 220 Old 10-25-2014, 01:57 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Nice setup, by the way.
post #219 of 220 Old 11-08-2014, 11:45 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
It's a Great looking setup. How long did it from 1.1 to Phase 5.0?
post #220 of 220 Old Today, 09:40 AM
Señor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstohl View Post
It's a Great looking setup. How long did it from 1.1 to Phase 5.0?
Thanks, I built the room in 2005. The last major speaker change was this year so 9 years. Time flies ...

HToM

Reply Community News & Polls

Tags
Home Theater Of The Month

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page