Where Do You Get Your Movies? - Page 2 - AVS Forum
View Poll Results: Where Do You Get Your Movies?
Purchased Blu-rays 897 29.78%
Purchased DVDs 196 6.51%
Rented Blu-rays from video store 104 3.45%
Rented DVDs from video store 26 0.86%
Rented Blu-rays from Redbox 311 10.33%
Rented DVDs from Redbox 69 2.29%
Rented Blu-rays from Netflix 262 8.70%
Rented DVDs from Netflix 91 3.02%
Online streaming (e.g., Netflix) 525 17.43%
Online rentals (e.g., Vudu) 155 5.15%
Online purchases (e.g., iTunes) 111 3.69%
Cable/satellite video on demand 167 5.54%
Cable/satellite premium broadcast (e.g., HBO) 230 7.64%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 3012. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 200 Old 05-22-2014, 10:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked: 259
Frankly I'm more of a content over container kind of guy. I've even (shudder) watched movies on YouTube and from Archive.org...eek.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 200 Old 05-22-2014, 11:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked: 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by wgscott View Post

I rent from iTunes via Apple TV, or occasionally purchase a movie that way, or stream it from netflix. I try to avoid buying physical media whenever possible. I have a $50 DVD player and no Blu Ray player. I find it almost impossible to tell the difference between standard and 1080p resolution from a typical viewing position.

You need to see an optometrist.
Phrehdd and ahands like this.
post #33 of 200 Old 05-22-2014, 11:14 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I mostly use Amazon prime and Netflix. For movies I highly enjoy (Royal Tenenbaums) or have some visual/audio quality which would be reduced through streaming (planet earth) I purchase a physical bluray copy for my collection
post #34 of 200 Old 05-22-2014, 11:32 PM
Bass Enabler

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked: 1033
Quote:
Originally Posted by wgscott View Post

I rent from iTunes via Apple TV, or occasionally purchase a movie that way, or stream it from netflix. I try to avoid buying physical media whenever possible. I have a $50 DVD player and no Blu Ray player. I find it almost impossible to tell the difference between standard and 1080p resolution from a typical viewing position.

Troll attempt is....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilgore View Post

You need to see an optometrist.

...successful.

tongue.gifbiggrin.gif

My Dual 18" LLT subs 120dB down to 10hz

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

https://soundcloud.com/plan9reloaded/sets/podcast - direct pod link

http://plan9reloaded.com/site/ - main website

post #35 of 200 Old 05-22-2014, 11:59 PM

Liked: 10

I watch the newest movie at  theatre or online watching ,don't always rent or buy from the store.

post #36 of 200 Old 05-23-2014, 12:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 133

I used to watch movies from the premium cable channels, but in July 2002 I tried an experiment: I cancelled the premium channels, purchased a DVD player, and started a Netflix subscription. I haven't looked back.

So, generally, I get my movies by:

1. Blu-ray rental from Netflix (my usual preference).
  2. DVD rental from Netflix if Blu-ray disc is unavailable
  3. Stream a title from Netflix if I am impatient or if the title is available only by streaming.
  4. Purchase Blu-ray (or DVD if Blu-ray unavailable) if I find that I tend to be watching a title multiple times.
  5. Non-premium cable channels for some titles unavailable via other means (e.g., certain made-for-TV movies, or classic movies that Netflix doesn't have enough inventory to offer the title). I'll also catch an occasional title that Netflix thinks I will not like and I suspect Netflix is over-pessamestic; it just seems easier to delete a DVR entry that I didn't like than to have wasted a queue slot and the mail turn-around time for a disc that I didn't like.

My very humble setup:
Man Cave:Vizio E500i-A1 "Smart TV" (50-in 1080p 120Hz LED/LCD, has Netflix app.), Blu-ray players (Sony BDP-S3100, old LG BD390), Roku (the original model: N1000), PC (Windows 7), Comcast Internet (25Mbps/5Mbps).
Bedroom:LG 32LV3400-UA TV (32-in 768p 60Hz LED/LCD), HD DVR (Motorola RNG200N), Xfinity Comcast cable (Digital Starter Package), DVD/VHS player.
post #37 of 200 Old 05-23-2014, 12:07 AM

Liked: 22
Similar surveys conducted here in Europe have shown that more than 50% of movies watched were illegally downloaded for example via torrent sites. There are plenty that focus on full uncompressed blu-ray rips, and often the selection is vast superior what can be purchased, rented or streamed (unless you buy globally, which not everyone is comfortable with). I am not saying that I think downloading is good, but for many it is one of several sources of movies. The survey would give a more correct picture if this torrent option was included.
C!t!zen likes this.

Combo living-room/home theater in old wooden house in Sweden. Pics: http://www.minhembio.com/jobeve Proj.: JVC DLA-X35 - Screen Elite PowerMax Tension 106" - TV: 65" Samsung UE65ES8005 - 7.1 Speakers: B&W 685 S2, HTM61 S2, Cambridge Audio Minx Min11, Sub: SVS SB-2000 - AVR: Denon AVR-X4000 - Player: Mede8er MED600X3D - NAS: Synology DS209 - Gaming: PS4
post #38 of 200 Old 05-23-2014, 01:01 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by b_dogg623 View Post

Is this really legit? very interested if so, and how long is the typical wait time (3D blu-rays in particular if you have any experience renting them)

edit: thanx khalid for additional info

I know the website's iffy look might scare some off but the service is legitimate. Turnaround time is about 3 days. Have never received scratched discs and they have a lot of old flicks. I rented Friday the 13th part 4 (which can only be purchased via boxset - already have 2 F13th dvd boxsets) and it took 3 days to get it.
post #39 of 200 Old 05-23-2014, 01:17 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 49

Wow!

So after seeing how the poll results are sorting out I need to say...

I voted purchase BD and Netflix BD rental but more importantly...

Rental to purchase ratio is about 60 to 1

I only purchase what I give 4 1/2 stars for, and I don't give out those stars that easy.  My 4 star movies I'll get from Netflix again once a year.

I might purchase more if my job wasn't seasonal.  It's hard to watch shows when I'm working 60hrs a week, I binge watch during slow times.

post #40 of 200 Old 05-23-2014, 05:42 AM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 142
I have to admit I like collecting movies. I like having the case AND the sleeve, in fact I'm so anal about the sleeve if I know a movie is sold with a sleeve around the case and I'm in a store and they have it with out a sleeve I'll wait until I can buy it with the sleeve (especially Pixar movies, the cover art on the sleeves is always better than the case). There's something about coming back from the store with a movie and unwrapping the plastic and watching it for the first time that doesn't get old. I love displaying them in my case (especially box sets and HBO series). However I've started doing more redbox rentals rather than purchases for first views, unless it's a Pixar or one of the Marvel movies.

Panasonic P60U54
Pioneer VSX-1122 K
Polk Audio RTi8's, CSi5, RTi6's, OWM3's
SVSound PC12 Plus, PC Ultra (12")
PS3, PS2
post #41 of 200 Old 05-23-2014, 05:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked: 311
If I want the best sound and best picture, I buy Blurays. If i don't care, then Apple TV or DirecTV. Both Audio and video are comprimised with downloads and audio is comprimised with anything that is not purchased.

I didn't spend this kind of money on building a room and purchasing equipment to watch/hear sub reference movies.
post #42 of 200 Old 05-23-2014, 06:15 AM
CIH USER

Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked: 297
Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy View Post

If I want the best sound and best picture, I buy Blurays. If i don't care, then Apple TV or DirecTV. Both Audio and video are comprimised with downloads and audio is comprimised with anything that is not purchased.

I didn't spend this kind of money on building a room and purchasing equipment to watch/hear sub reference movies.

+1

Frank
post #43 of 200 Old 05-23-2014, 06:48 AM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 110
If it's an audio/video feast for the senses, I'll buy or rent the blu-ray.

If it's just something I want to see, I'm okay with streaming. I use Netflix, iTunes and Vudu. We have Amazon Prime, but don't really go there for streaming. I think primarily because we need a device with a better Amazon App.

I wholeheartedly agree that the quality of Blu-ray is still better than streaming, especially the audio. However I'm not one who can't enjoy a movie that is streamed. I've taught myself to not fixate on things like that anymore. Life is too short.

There are also a ton of movies that I owned on DVD that I probably would've never re-purchased on Blu-ray. I've been going through those and upgrading whatever I can to HD streaming files via Vudu and their Disc-To-Digital program.

So it seems I'm one of the very few on here that can see and hear a difference between Blu-ray and streaming, but is also able to ignore it for 80% of movies that I watch.

I love my iPhone, but it will never replace my turntable.

The Cinema 1858 Remodel Thread
post #44 of 200 Old 05-23-2014, 06:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 23
After Block Buster closed here in Canada I tried supporting a local rental store, but the experience was terrible. I started renting from my cable provider, but the cost sucked. I then started renting from the play station store, but after getting burnt on failed video files, back by poor customer service, and then another HD download with pretty crap video and sound quality I was ready to pull my hair out. Thankfully Redbox landed in Canada just in time, and now I happily rent from them at a ridiculously low price. I only ever buy Blu-Rays if it is something I am pretty sure I will watch multiple times. I learned my lesson over the years buying DVD's that I only ever watched once.
coxy2416 likes this.
post #45 of 200 Old 05-23-2014, 07:07 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Majority of my movies are purchased Blu-Ray (from either Amazon or half.com). If a movie isn't good enough content wise or quality wise (i.e. not in the top echeleon of audio or video), I'll rent from Vudu or stream from Netflix

post #46 of 200 Old 05-23-2014, 07:32 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 27
If/when online sources can match bluray in terms of audio quality, I will look at them as a real option. Until then, the only thing I will watch online are comedies as the audio doesn't enhance them too much.

post #47 of 200 Old 05-23-2014, 07:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked: 242

In the past 2 1/2 years (going back to when I bought my first HDTV & Blu-Ray player), my movie watching has consisted of...

1) 60% Approx. 60 purchased Blu-Ray titles.  Of those, 15 are 3D titles.  I purchased roughly 2/3rds of them as new releases from either Best Buy or Target.  About a handful were purchased from the $3/5/10 shelves/bins at Best Buy, Target, or Walmart.  The rest were ordered from Amazon.com when the prices were low.

2) 15% DVD's I already owned.  I own somewhere in the neighborhood of 350-400 titles.

3) 8% non-premium channels from DirecTV.  Believe it or not, you can still watch movies on non-premium satellite/cable channels such as AMC, FX, TBS, etc.  I occasionally get roped into watching movies on Hallmark and LMN, particularly around the holidays.

4) 7% free streaming from Crackle.  Yeah, many of the titles they have available are junk and you have to watch a few adds (though far fewer than what you would see on TV), but I have caught some decent flicks this way.  Plus, it's a great way to check out B-grade movies without spending any money.

5) 4% iTunes downloads (owned).  All but one of these were redeemed from the digital copies included with my Blu-Ray purchases.  I actually bought the digital copy of Star Trek from the iTunes store, because it wasn't included in the Blu-Ray purchase and I wanted to be able to watch it on the road.  These are watched exclusively on my iPad and laptop.

6) 4% Flixster/Vudu streamed digital copies (owned).  As with my iTunes movies, most of these were redeemed from the digital copies included with my Blu-Ray purchases.  I also received 1 free movie for signing up for Flixster when I was originally creating my UV account and library and another 5 free movies when I created a Vudu account.  I have never purchased or rented a movie from either retailer.  Most of these are watched on my iPad using the Flixster app, though I occasionally use the Vudu app on a my TV.

7) 2% Going to the cinema.  In the past 2 1/2 years, I think I have seen 4 movies at the local cinema...Hobbit: Unexpected Journey 3D, Hobbit: Desolation of Smaug 3D, Hunger Games: Catching Fire, and Despicable Me 2.

post #48 of 200 Old 05-23-2014, 07:47 AM

Liked: 11

2-head VHS VCR (Emerson) connected to TV (set to ch. 3) thru RF Modulator.

Ahhh glorious Low-Def!

Dagg21 likes this.
post #49 of 200 Old 05-23-2014, 07:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 285
I buy my Blu rays, rent them from Red Box and stream movies on Netflix. smile.gif

Sony Bravia KDL-55W900A LED/3D TV.
Sony BDP S6200 3D Blu ray Player.
Sony 5.2-Channel 4K A/V HD Receiver - STRDH540.
Center Channel Speaker: Tivoli Signature Series.
Tower Speakers: Sony SS-MF315's.
Surrounds: Pioneer Satellite Speakers.
post #50 of 200 Old 05-23-2014, 07:59 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 45
I watch the bulk of my content from Netflix, but I also check out a lot of Blu-Rays from the library.

I buy my favorites on Blu-Ray, and only rarely on DVD(when the image quality won't be significantly worse, like in 28 Days later(horrible looking, even on Blu-Ray) or a Wes Anderson film(Fantastic Mr. Fox excluded; it looks beautiful on Blu-Ray).
post #51 of 200 Old 05-23-2014, 08:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 29
Wow. Lots of folks are wasting money purchasing bluray discs. I would have to watch a movie several times to justify the cost of purchasing a movie and I can only think of a handful of movies that I would want to watch that many times.

Alcohol. The cause of and solution to all of life's problems.
post #52 of 200 Old 05-23-2014, 08:58 AM

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Right now I'm using Blu-Ray, both purchased and rented from Redbox. I would personally love to see a streaming service come along and give me the same quality as blu-ray along with a considerably better selection then Netflix currently has. I'm thinking something along the lines of Spotify, but for movies. I would be willing to drop $30-$40 a month for that type of service if it existed.

AVR: Denon 2112
Speakers: EMP Tek e55ti, Center- EMP Tek e56ci, Side Surrounds- EMP Tek e55wi, Rear Surrounds- SVS Prime Satellites, Sub- SVS PC12 Plus
Display: BenQ w1070 on a 92in fixed screen
Blu-Ray Player:Samsung BD-EM59C;
Playstation 4, Apple TV, Harmony Remote
post #53 of 200 Old 05-23-2014, 09:00 AM
Señor Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked: 404
Interesting poll Scott cool.gif

I've got a small (approx 250) bluray collection and I add to that if I really like the film. Most of my new material viewing is via VUDU HD and it is bluray quality with a slight loss of audio (Dolby Digital Plus).

That allows me to have instant gratification with new releases but not have the ordering waiting hassle of a Netflix type service. I have lots of bandwidth, so I'm very happy with VUDU and my NEO TV. smile.gif

I use front projection and the component details are in the HToM link in my sig. smile.gif

HToM

"Who are you, who are so wise in the ways of science?"
post #54 of 200 Old 05-23-2014, 09:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 889 Post(s)
Liked: 968
Quote:
Originally Posted by JStockholm View Post

Similar surveys conducted here in Europe have shown that more than 50% of movies watched were illegally downloaded for example via torrent sites. There are plenty that focus on full uncompressed blu-ray rips, and often the selection is vast superior what can be purchased, rented or streamed (unless you buy globally, which not everyone is comfortable with). I am not saying that I think downloading is good, but for many it is one of several sources of movies. The survey would give a more correct picture if this torrent option was included.

it's funny how something that's 'free' can provide better service than something you pay for...

Displays: Samsung PN64F8500/JVC X35
AVR: Pioneer VSX-1018AH, 5.1 audio
Sources: HTPC(Mediabrowser), PS3, XBOX360, Wii, Sony DVP-CX995V
Control: Harmony One
post #55 of 200 Old 05-23-2014, 09:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnoonie View Post

Wow!

So after seeing how the poll results are sorting out I need to say...

I voted purchase BD and Netflix BD rental but more importantly...

Rental to purchase ratio is about 60 to 1

I only purchase what I give 4 1/2 stars for, and I don't give out those stars that easy.  My 4 star movies I'll get from Netflix again once a year.

I might purchase more if my job wasn't seasonal.  It's hard to watch shows when I'm working 60hrs a week, I binge watch during slow times.

if you add up all the rental methods(just for disc) it's not even 2:1 for purchase:rental...

I can only speak for myself, but renting is definitely preferred for 90% of the movies, it's just no longer an option. there are no brick and mortar rental stores, and I'm not interested in dealing with mailing stuff back.

it just puts a delay on what movies I can get. I can still buy a BD for about 5bux, I just have to wait til it hits the clearance bin. I use to pay 5bux to rent a movie, so the only difference is I wait a year, and then don't have to return it.

sometimes I find other ways to watch a movie early that doesn't involve buying or renting(at a friend's house, or whatever) and treat those initial viewings as a test to see whether or not I'd actually want to own the movie. i'll never do that with a great blockbuster, I don't want to 'ruin' the initial viewing with poor quality. but there's only a handful of movies a year that I know i'll buy before I see them

post #56 of 200 Old 05-23-2014, 09:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked: 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepyourgameup View Post

Wow. Lots of folks are wasting money purchasing bluray discs. I would have to watch a movie several times to justify the cost of purchasing a movie and I can only think of a handful of movies that I would want to watch that many times.

For all we know, the majority of the folks who purchase Blu-Rays may only purchase a handful a year.  If so, then their purchasing practices are probably pretty similar to your own (assuming you actually purchase the handful that you watch enough times to make it worthwhile).  I'm guessing you primarily rent and that is where the big difference is.  It seems that fewer people rent movies these days, at least using a per movie charge model.  A lot of that probably has to do with the lack of local video stores and the questionable quality/pricing of streaming experience you get from a service like Amazon/iTunes/Vudu.  Not that Vudu HDX picture quality is bad, because I think it can be pretty darn good if your internet connection can handle it.  It's the ISP issues like buffering or drop-outs that are the main culprit.  For those whose internet connections can handle it, the existence of free or highly affordable subscription based streaming (i.e. Netflix) is also a big factor.

Sales of physical media are down, mostly due to rapid declines in DVD sales with only moderate gains in Blu-Ray sales.  Rental of physical media has taken a HUGE hit in the last couple of years.  Meanwhile, streaming is on the rise.  However, the majority of streaming comes from Netflix.  If you took Netflix (and free streaming sources) out of the equation, digital delivery of movies and TV shows would barely be a blip on the radar.

post #57 of 200 Old 05-23-2014, 09:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillcat View Post

If it's an audio/video feast for the senses, I'll buy or rent the blu-ray.

If it's just something I want to see, I'm okay with streaming. I use Netflix, iTunes and Vudu. We have Amazon Prime, but don't really go there for streaming. I think primarily because we need a device with a better Amazon App.

I wholeheartedly agree that the quality of Blu-ray is still better than streaming, especially the audio. However I'm not one who can't enjoy a movie that is streamed. I've taught myself to not fixate on things like that anymore. Life is too short.

There are also a ton of movies that I owned on DVD that I probably would've never re-purchased on Blu-ray. I've been going through those and upgrading whatever I can to HD streaming files via Vudu and their Disc-To-Digital program.

So it seems I'm one of the very few on here that can see and hear a difference between Blu-ray and streaming, but is also able to ignore it for 80% of movies that I watch.

I agree it depends on the movie. some action flick, BD is a must. romantic comedy, streaming is fine.

some movies just don't really matter, it's about what is said, not how it's said. other movies, the dialogue/storyline is TERRIBLE, and if you don't have that impressive soundtrack and eye-catching visuals, there's not much left to entertain you, haha.
thrillcat likes this.

post #58 of 200 Old 05-23-2014, 09:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepyourgameup View Post

how much are you paying to rent?
it costs me about the same amount to buy, I just wait til they hit the clearance bin.

for me, it's less of a waste to buy the best quality available and enjoy it, than to borrow a lower quality and 10% of the time end up buying the BD anyway.

it's not like buying a BD means you spent 30bux on it. the only movies I've spent that much on were gifts for other ppl(it's a little tacky giving somebody a 2yr old movie that cost your 2.99, haha)

the past winter I purchased several boxsets off amazon. harry potter, aliens, die hard, planet of the apes for under 100bux total. 21 movies at less than 5bux a pop... the stuff I find locally in clearance bins can often be even cheaper.

I would definitely rent more, if it was actually cheaper than me buying the movie for 5bux
HockeyoAJB likes this.

post #59 of 200 Old 05-23-2014, 09:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked: 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Simonian View Post

Troll attempt is....
...successful.

tongue.gifbiggrin.gif

I HATE when that happens...!rolleyes.gif
post #60 of 200 Old 05-23-2014, 09:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my home theater ( when I'm not rock climbing, cycling or kayaking ) - Sacramento CA area
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked: 333
I watch Blu Rays I buy ( I wait until they go on sale ) at Amazon 100%. In the case where I decide I don't like the movie enough to keep it ( I keep and re - watch 95% of the movies I'm interested in enough to watch to begin with ), I re - sell them on Amazon. And I have some HD DVD's still too!

Craig Peer, AV Science Sales. Call me on my direct line - 585-671-2972, 8:30am - 4:30pm PST, Monday - Friday
Email me at craig@avscience.com http://shop.avscience.com/
Yes, we sell Home Theater gear right here at AVS !!
JVC, Sony, Epson, DPI, SIM2, SV Sound, Martin Logan, RBH, and many more!
Reply Community News & Polls

Tags
Polls

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page