Where Do You Get Your Movies? - Page 7 - AVS Forum
View Poll Results: Where Do You Get Your Movies?
Purchased Blu-rays 897 29.78%
Purchased DVDs 196 6.51%
Rented Blu-rays from video store 104 3.45%
Rented DVDs from video store 26 0.86%
Rented Blu-rays from Redbox 311 10.33%
Rented DVDs from Redbox 69 2.29%
Rented Blu-rays from Netflix 262 8.70%
Rented DVDs from Netflix 91 3.02%
Online streaming (e.g., Netflix) 525 17.43%
Online rentals (e.g., Vudu) 155 5.15%
Online purchases (e.g., iTunes) 111 3.69%
Cable/satellite video on demand 167 5.54%
Cable/satellite premium broadcast (e.g., HBO) 230 7.64%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 3012. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 200 Old 06-09-2014, 08:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked: 204
One comment missing from this Forum - wife and I, especially since buying and watching blu-rays, or streaming movies, or a Series, have come to JUST HATE Commercials now! Very rarely watch regular TV anymore because of them! If we like a Series, will wait out for the Blu-ray release, then watch. Don't need the Commercials for washroom and snack time outs - Pause - when we need to!
Wife calls them Brain Washers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 200 Old 06-10-2014, 05:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked: 311
We don't like commercials either. The ONLY TV we watch live is football. Watching a recorded game almost seems like cheating !!
post #183 of 200 Old 06-10-2014, 07:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy View Post

We don't like commercials either. The ONLY TV we watch live is football. Watching a recorded game almost seems like cheating !!

Not if you didn't know the result ahead of time. (Advertisers are pulling their hair out re Fast Forwarders!)
Now some Commercials are amusing, but mostly annoying, especially when they seem to run the annoying ones back to back. What's with that? Piss you off twice within 5 minutes!
Well, back to my NetFlix 100 Doctor Who Episodes. (sans Commercials)
post #184 of 200 Old 06-10-2014, 04:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by p5browne View Post

One comment missing from this Forum - wife and I, especially since buying and watching blu-rays, or streaming movies, or a Series, have come to JUST HATE Commercials now! Very rarely watch regular TV anymore because of them! If we like a Series, will wait out for the Blu-ray release, then watch. Don't need the Commercials for washroom and snack time outs - Pause - when we need to!
Wife calls them Brain Washers.

Why not DVR them?
post #185 of 200 Old 06-10-2014, 05:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggAW View Post

Why not DVR them?

Despite being Technically inclined, me and DVRs have issues (My recordings all seem to come out Blank!) - the wife no issues, and loves it!
post #186 of 200 Old 06-17-2014, 07:18 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 38
I only have internet as I'm on the computer, asleep or outside 99% of the time when I'm not at work. If I'm inside and not asleep or on the computer, I can put on a movie.
post #187 of 200 Old 06-17-2014, 11:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggAW View Post

Why not DVR them?
Almost everything I watch is DVR'd from satellite. There is much more available there than I have the time and interest to watch, already, so I have no reason to use a streaming service. I occasionally buy a blu-ray when I have a special reason to get the best quality video or sound.

Greg Lee
post #188 of 200 Old 06-18-2014, 03:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by p5browne View Post
Quote:Originally Posted by BiggAW 

Why not DVR them?

Despite being Technically inclined, me and DVRs have issues (My recordings all seem to come out Blank!) - the wife no issues, and loves it!
Sounds like you need to figure your DVR problems out! That would solve the whole commercials thing with TV...
post #189 of 200 Old 06-18-2014, 04:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by p5browne View Post

It may be time to learn what your wife is doing vs. what you are doing as far as recording shows. There are just some shows I enjoy that never make it to Netflix, and the ability to time-shift and FF past commercials make those shows more enjoyable.

I used to use two VCRs to record for time-shifting (and commercial-FF'ing) purposes and a third VCR (since replaced with the DVD/VCR combo unit) for play-back and FF past commercials. However, Comcast killed the analog channels where I live so on that very day I went to the Xfinity (Comcast) store, got a 2-tuner HD DVR and upgraded my service to the "Digital Starter Plan" with HD, stopped by Bi-Mart on the way home and purchased a 32-in HD TV for the HD DVR to feed, and once home had it all up and running within an hour, and even managed to record shows in HD that night that I originally had the VCRs programmed to record in SD. Within a day I was wondering why I had waited so long before doing that! The HD DVR was a whole lot easier to program than the VCRs, no planning on how to record all the shows I wanted to watch on 2-hr cassettes in EP mode (6 hours of recording) and figuring out when to do the cassette changes, and the ease of watching shows the order I want to watch them instead of the order they were recorded, and ease of erasing them, and the beauty of HD on the shows that broadcast in HD ... why oh why didn't I do that years earlier? Even the subchannels that are SD (MeTV, AntennaTV, THiS TV, two religious channels I watch) are much clearer having skipped the VCRs and the old VHS cassets than I would have imagined!

For recordings to be completely blank, one possibility that comes to mind is an attempt to record a channel you aren't authorized for, in which case tuning to that channel should be obvious on the screen (I see "NOT AUTHORIZED" and usually a number I can call to go to the next tier or to subscribe to that content), or trying to record a non-existent channel (again, usually obvious on the screen with a "currently not available" message). Of course, different equipment may display different messages or react differently.

But, anyway, recordings shouldn't be that difficult to program and it is worth your time to find out how to get the DVR to record what you want. If the DVR doesn't come with a "guide" (program list showing what is on on each channel), you will have to learn what channels your provider sends you the various channels on. For example, my local Fox49 station is on Comcast 13 for SD and Comcast 713 for HD, but most of the XX broadcast channels are on Comcast XX for SD and Comcast 7XX for HD. But you need to know what your provider's mappings are.

It may be a learning curve, and when I first got my HD DVR I did a few experiments before trusting it, but I think it will be well worth the effort.

My very humble setup:
Man Cave:Vizio E500i-A1 "Smart TV" (50-in 1080p 120Hz LED/LCD, has Netflix app.), Blu-ray players (Sony BDP-S3100, old LG BD390), Roku (the original model: N1000), PC (Windows 7), Comcast Internet (25Mbps/5Mbps).
Bedroom:LG 32LV3400-UA TV (32-in 768p 60Hz LED/LCD), HD DVR (Motorola RNG200N), Xfinity Comcast cable (Digital Starter Package), DVD/VHS player.
post #190 of 200 Old 06-19-2014, 08:51 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 39
We too hate commercials and therefore love our DVRs. As for issues with using it I have a great plan that has worked for me for over 20 years. I can take or leave TV. The wife, however, cannot. So, when I told her years ago that she ought to learn how to use the VCR and subsequently the DVR, she did. Because if she doesn't, we will only be watching discs and that would not be very often.

So that she would not be stuck watching only discs or commercials or free discs from the library (mainly educational stuff) the wife learned to use the recording devices. Awesome! Of ALL the electronics I set up and installed, the DVR is the one I understand the least....because I don't need to. lol
post #191 of 200 Old 06-19-2014, 11:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 78
I left cable for satellite 7 years ago in search of an easier to use DVR. I can cope with technicalities, but why should I have to? With my current DRV, I use the remote to point at a program I want to record and press the record button. That's it. An extra press if I want to record all programs of a series. The only time it records a blank is when a rain storm blocks the satellite signal or the originating station has a technical failure. The DVR handles details of recording overlaps, priorities when I've inadvertently asked it to record more than two shows at once, and organizes my recordings. If a conflict arises because of an automatic series recording, the DVR will try to resolve the problem by finding another showing of one of the programs.

Anyone still struggling to get things recorded needs to get a better DVR.

Greg Lee
post #192 of 200 Old 06-19-2014, 06:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mp06011999 View Post
We too hate commercials and therefore love our DVRs. As for issues with using it I have a great plan that has worked for me for over 20 years. I can take or leave TV. The wife, however, cannot. So, when I told her years ago that she ought to learn how to use the VCR and subsequently the DVR, she did. Because if she doesn't, we will only be watching discs and that would not be very often.

So that she would not be stuck watching only discs or commercials or free discs from the library (mainly educational stuff) the wife learned to use the recording devices. Awesome! Of ALL the electronics I set up and installed, the DVR is the one I understand the least....because I don't need to. lol
DVRs are super easy to use. I've picked up the remote on DVR systems that I've never used before and started setting up stuff to record within 5 minutes. TiVo is the best DVR on the market, and is 100% user-intuitive, some of the MSO DVRs have some weird quirks and really ugly software, but they aren't exactly hard to use. The functions are all pretty obvious. It sounds like user error.
post #193 of 200 Old 06-19-2014, 06:46 PM

lol. That's it. I'm retarded and don't know how to use my DVR. It couldn't be that I was making a tongue-in-cheek comment about "having the wife" do it.

Our DVRs do kinda suck and are kinda temperamental and do require more attention than most because they are the old DTV Pal OTA DVRs from Dish Network. But when I cancelled pay TV because I can take TV or leave it, the wife asked for an option to record. I gave her one...right along with the instruction manual. And yes, I know how to use it. I should hope so as I've built 3 large screen home theaters. But I don't need to mess with the DVR because the wife does.

You guys took me too literally. Just because I understand my DVRs the least of all my electronics DOES NOT mean that I don't understand it.
post #194 of 200 Old 06-19-2014, 06:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 133
Quote:
You guys took me too literally. Just because I understand my DVRs the least of all my electronics DOES NOT mean that I don't understand it.
Sorry, but I got straight F's in mind reading!

My very humble setup:
Man Cave:Vizio E500i-A1 "Smart TV" (50-in 1080p 120Hz LED/LCD, has Netflix app.), Blu-ray players (Sony BDP-S3100, old LG BD390), Roku (the original model: N1000), PC (Windows 7), Comcast Internet (25Mbps/5Mbps).
Bedroom:LG 32LV3400-UA TV (32-in 768p 60Hz LED/LCD), HD DVR (Motorola RNG200N), Xfinity Comcast cable (Digital Starter Package), DVD/VHS player.
post #195 of 200 Old 06-19-2014, 07:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
lol. That's it. I'm retarded and don't know how to use my DVR. It couldn't be that I was making a tongue-in-cheek comment about "having the wife" do it.

Our DVRs do kinda suck and are kinda temperamental and do require more attention than most because they are the old DTV Pal OTA DVRs from Dish Network. But when I cancelled pay TV because I can take TV or leave it, the wife asked for an option to record. I gave her one...right along with the instruction manual. And yes, I know how to use it. I should hope so as I've built 3 large screen home theaters. But I don't need to mess with the DVR because the wife does.

Yeah, that wasn't apparent at all in your above post.

If they are so temperamental, why not get a TiVo Roamio/Mini combo?
post #196 of 200 Old 06-19-2014, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggAW View Post
Yeah, that wasn't apparent at all in your above post.

If they are so temperamental, why not get a TiVo Roamio/Mini combo?
So much is often lost in text / emails / forums. I'm sure it was just that. There's no "inflection" in writing. All's good.

Tivo service cost money - plain and simple. When mine die, I will. But not until. Seriously, I can take it (TV) or leave it.
post #197 of 200 Old 06-19-2014, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark12547 View Post
Sorry, but I got straight F's in mind reading!
But I bet you got A's in sarcasm. Ouch! Just messin. We had a misunderstanding. No worries.

My living room is a 12 foot HD projector with 5 15inch woofers (5.1) and my bedroom is 70 inches of HD. PS3s, Xboxes, Wiis, DVRs in all. Not bragging, just saying I am not void of knowledge in my electronics. It was a joke about just having the wife do it. Sorry it didn't come across as intended.
post #198 of 200 Old 06-20-2014, 04:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
So much is often lost in text / emails / forums. I'm sure it was just that. There's no "inflection" in writing. All's good.

Tivo service cost money - plain and simple. When mine die, I will. But not until. Seriously, I can take it (TV) or leave it.
So does the service for most other DVRs. You just have to price in the service when you look at a box. I.e. a Roamio costs $700, not $200, when you include the service.
post #199 of 200 Old 06-20-2014, 05:07 PM

I'm aware. No thanks. I'm fine with my old HD OTA DVRs.
post #200 of 200 Old 07-17-2014, 11:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Liked: 77
I prefer DCP, but since that was not a option, i had to go with online purchase aka Amazon, VUDU.
Reply Community News & Polls

Tags
Polls

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page