Forum Jump: 
 135Likes

post #271 of 617 Old 06-13-2014, 09:26 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked: 813
The problems are (98% of peoples problems anyway)

#1 . It's different. So it will take some time and learning to get accustomed to it.
#2 . The method for posting a picture sucks. I wish I knew a stronger word than "sucks" I could use because I would.
#3 . The option to jump to the last post in a thread, or the last unread post in a thread is not good. I'd say "sucks" actually.
#4 . The AVS mobile and tablet formats are not even competitive with the old one. They also "suck"

#1 can be fixed over time with simple bug fixes and waiting for people to get over the changes and relax.

#2 . Is a very serious detriment and threat to AVS. It has the potential to send AVS back to the stone age, and let other home theater sites rise up and diminish AVS importance over time. This could be a death sentence for AVS. There is simply no doubt about it- PICTURES make threads better. Posting a picture should be simple and nearly automatic so that a person with significantly less than average intelligence can do it easily. 80 year old grandmothers can send picture texts these days. Posting a picture should be as simple as clicking a "picture" icon - selecting the picture you want to post and clicking it. Done. Ton's of things have this simple functionality. It's a total joke we have to load an attachment, find that attachment URL and then paste it between [img] and [/img]. That should all be done automatically, and the format and size should happen automatically too. I expect better. Anything less with slowly cause great posters and posts to find their way to other forums that support such a thing. You can't have great posts without easy posting of pictures, and difficult posting process for pictures will lessen the amount of pictures people post, which degrades AVS and it's quality. You can't take for granted the quality on AVS, it comes from the members and it's not a god given right or an entitled automatic certainty. Loosing this to other places would be a death sentence for AVS. Crappy picture posting process supports that.

#3 . I've been a member over a decade, I remember the old code well- and I have been on other forums that use the same code as this. So if I can't figure out easily how to jump to the last post in a thread then it clearly "sucks". This is the feature most people use. This feature and button should be more easily visible, noticeable... and understood. In fact it should be set up so that you basically have to go out of your way to click anything else. I've seen so many complaints about this so far. Listen to what people are saying. Fix it please!

#4 . Mobile and tablet formats need improvement. There is too many functionality missing that was present on the old AVS mobile, and the format makes it harder to click what you want, or see what you want. This might take some time and additional user feedback but a great mobile site and app enhances AVS greatly and the importance should not be understated. Especially since most posters use both PC and MOBILE in conjunction with each other- I might snap a pic with my phone and load it up to AVS then later reply more with the PC. The mobile site isn't just about making it faster with less bandwidth requirements by making it plain and simple. Most people have wifi or fast cell phone service and modern smart phones- this crowd on this site especially. Speed isn't the problem. The problem is the lack of functionality, and the fact it's so simple it sucks. It's hard to click anything or move around, and you lack many features I find myself switching back the full PC version which text is unreadable and too small. You should not have to switch to the full site to do something like post a picture or attachment, or access a feature IMO. Bring all that stuff onto the mobile platform- but make the icons bigger and easier to click without clicking something else you don't want. And again it's very hard to jump quickly into a thread and jump to the last post in the thread from the mobile site- which is also a feature that many posters will use to follow up a thread they have engaged in. Not allowing this limits responses- many posters won't even bother to post something of quality because the effort is too high and it interferes with their lives too much. That's a shame. A big step backwards for AVS since the previous mobile site was very good and did not have these problems.

I hate to be too negative. I'll be patient and remain hopeful for improvements in these areas.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 617 Old 06-13-2014, 09:35 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked: 423
Sorry as was probably already asked, but where do I turn off all of these email notifications I am getting?

post #273 of 617 Old 06-13-2014, 10:26 AM
Administrator

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 354 Post(s)
Liked: 320
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidHir View Post
Sorry as was probably already asked, but where do I turn off all of these email notifications I am getting?
Try usercp - User Tagging settings
DavidHir likes this.

Mike Lang
Administrator
Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself.
Join the
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and help support the site. Help Support
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #274 of 617 Old 06-13-2014, 10:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post
This entire thing is just broken. It needs to be set up so that you have to go out of your way to click anything else- and it needs to work perfectly when you click it.
Change is uncomfortable for alot of us, because we lose familiarity.

Hopefully as things are listed they'll be addressed. I'll give it a couple of weeks to see if things run more smoothly, if not, I guess I'll just frequent here less.

Pioneer Kuro Elite Pro-111FD
Pioneer Kuro BDP-320

Displays are like 100% cotton t-shirts. Always buy a size larger than you think you'll need, as they tend to shrink over time.
post #275 of 617 Old 06-13-2014, 10:53 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked: 541
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfattbill View Post
You have to switch to desktop mode in order to be able to collapse sections, no way to do it in mobile mode.
By that you mean? Spoiler tags work in mobile mode.
post #276 of 617 Old 06-13-2014, 10:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 161
I'm so dissapointed with the new format. I feel like my home has been redecorated while I was at work with worse furniture and hard to open doors. I've been around since 2009 and I was still learning features before now it's all changed. I'm being over dramatic but why the change? It feels like a step back to forums of the last decade. Sigh . More time in the theater I guess. Just curious why it's changed to a seemingly more confusing format? Maybe i just need to be patient and get to know it more before judging so hard.

Last edited by Reddig; 06-13-2014 at 10:58 AM.
post #277 of 617 Old 06-13-2014, 10:57 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddig View Post
I'm so dissapointed with the new format. I feel like my home has been redecorated while I was at work with worse furniture and hard to open doors. I've been around since 2009 and I was still learning features before now it's all changed. I'm being over dramatic but why the change? It feels like a step back to forums of the last decade. Sigh . More time in the theater I guess.
If you've been around since 2009 this should be familiar. Read the top post for reasons.
post #278 of 617 Old 06-13-2014, 11:21 AM
Administrator

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 354 Post(s)
Liked: 320
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post
If you've been around since 2009 this should be familiar.
I've been here longer than just about everyone and this feels like I found my favorite pair of jeans again.

Of course it also now operates just like most other forums on the web so there's not much of a learning curve unless this is the only forum you've ever used.

Mike Lang
Administrator
Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself.
Join the
and help support the site. Help Support
post #279 of 617 Old 06-13-2014, 11:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Count me in thinking this design change is terrible. and yes, I'm a long time member and remember the old format. This format wastes way too much space, too much empty space in between columns/boxes. Coupled with the lack of drop down menu for hovering over the "FORUMS" tab, makes for a lot of extra clicking and scrolling to get to where it sued to take me a second. This forum now feels extremely dated and annoying to navigate.

It will certainly make me less likely to come here for quick visits or searching for updates in the forums.
post #280 of 617 Old 06-13-2014, 11:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Red face

Quote:
If you've been around since 2009 this should be familiar. Read the top post for reasons.
It's not rocket science no but an annoyance. I just homestly don't remeber the site using vbulliten when I first joined in 2009 that's all. That's how familiar I am to vbulliten can't even remeber it. I began meeting friends on here and getting familiar with it prolly 2--3 years ago and began making this place my home and posting more. Around 2011 I got a smartphone and mainly use it to post and I don't like the new mobile version. Also I guess another company (acquiring?) AVS doesn't sit well with me cause I don't know how devoted they are to the Audio Video Sciences. Does same guy still technically own AVS? What's the future? AVS becoming even more of a business with this? These questions are not talked of in the first post. Lotta people not liking it either not just me. New world problems I know. Ok rant over.

JBL Pro Cinema
post #281 of 617 Old 06-13-2014, 11:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lang View Post
I've been here longer than just about everyone and this feels like I found my favorite pair of jeans again.

Of course it also now operates just like most other forums on the web so there's not much of a learning curve unless this is the only forum you've ever used.
I'm sure it does seem nice going back. I don't frequent many forums other than Film-Tech. I find it hard enough to
keep up with just one or two forums.

JBL Pro Cinema
post #282 of 617 Old 06-13-2014, 12:02 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lang View Post

And... as pointed out by numerous others at this point...

that doesn't make it good... If every other board is terribly designed, that doesn't justify the same type of implementation... I know it is a lot of work, and I also know that a lot of the simple things folks asked about aren't a lot of effort at all.

How about some communication of what's being worked on, and what is patently not going to change regardless of how much we complain... And maybe admit that you either didn't test anything with a beta group before the change, or didn't care... I can't see the image posting debacle getting past anyone that is a frequent user of this site. If you knew all this and chose not to fix it for cost reasons, let us know... and maybe folks will stick around, or maybe not... We'd at least know your level of commitment to working in some changes...

Sorry for the ranting, but as a professional in the software development field, this type of implementation tweaks me just a bit.... Comparisons of different options come down to a lot more than cost and comparing check boxes on a feature list....

-j
post #283 of 617 Old 06-13-2014, 12:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcr159 View Post
And... as pointed out by numerous others at this point...

that doesn't make it good... If every other board is terribly designed, that doesn't justify the same type of implementation... I know it is a lot of work, and I also know that a lot of the simple things folks asked about aren't a lot of effort at all.

How about some communication of what's being worked on, and what is patently not going to change regardless of how much we complain... And maybe admit that you either didn't test anything with a beta group before the change, or didn't care... I can't see the image posting debacle getting past anyone that is a frequent user of this site. If you knew all this and chose not to fix it for cost reasons, let us know... and maybe folks will stick around, or maybe not... We'd at least know your level of commitment to working in some changes...

Sorry for the ranting, but as a professional in the software development field, this type of implementation tweaks me just a bit.... Comparisons of different options come down to a lot more than cost and comparing check boxes on a feature list....

-j
I agree about the paragraph talking of the communication. Not much of an explanation besides being aquired and that basically all users are the beta testers until it's all fixed. I hate that about software design in general. Save time and money on testing and let the users or customers find the bugs. I understand that it takes a lot of work to get all this to work and we love this place.

On a lighter note I enjoy the like tab showing the user who has liked the post.

JBL Pro Cinema

Last edited by Reddig; 06-13-2014 at 12:12 PM.
post #284 of 617 Old 06-13-2014, 12:35 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsskid View Post
Change is uncomfortable for alot of us, because we lose familiarity.

Hopefully as things are listed they'll be addressed. I'll give it a couple of weeks to see if things run more smoothly, if not, I guess I'll just frequent here less.

I am being patient too. My biggest gripe is that the chevron arrow thingy that you click to go to the last unread post is on the left side, and it's pretty small so it's hard to see and it's also hard to click. It's also unnatural that you read from left to right, but then must move your mouse back left to click it. It makes sense if it was like the pages links at the end of the thread title so after you read the title your eyes land on the link naturally and you just click it. Going back left makes no sense, and because it's not located with the other links like jumping to the first page or last page- you don't even realize it's there. If you do see it, it's hard to see, and even harder to click because it's small and in a funky spot.

I think if they just move the icon to jump to the last unread post and put it as the first and most natural option to click it makes the most sense. This seems to be a universal complaint of many- and I think the old version of AVS did a much better job with this.

All that said, I think they are working hard and I think they will do a great job fixing it. They have already acknowledged the issue, and a fix takes some work so patience seems reasonable. I think they will get this fixed.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #285 of 617 Old 06-13-2014, 12:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Ok AVS, whats going on with the mobile site?
Since the update I cannot give "thumbs up" the quotes don't work properly and i keep having to log back in constantly! This is on my Android device, which I use almost exclusively for this website.

Please address these issues asap. Thanks
post #286 of 617 Old 06-13-2014, 12:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wattheF View Post
Ok AVS, whats going on with the mobile site?
Since the update I cannot give "thumbs up" the quotes don't work properly and i keep having to log back in constantly! This is on my Android device, which I use almost exclusively for this website.

Please address these issues asap. Thanks
Try the desktop tab on the bottom of page they switched the thumbs up to a like tab.

I too have to constantly re-log in.

JBL Pro Cinema
post #287 of 617 Old 06-13-2014, 12:47 PM
Administrator

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post
I am being patient too. My biggest gripe is that the chevron arrow thingy that you click to go to the last unread post is on the left side, and it's pretty small so it's hard to see and it's also hard to click. It's also unnatural that you read from left to right, but then must move your mouse back left to click it. It makes sense if it was like the pages links at the end of the thread title so after you read the title your eyes land on the link naturally and you just click it. Going back left makes no sense, and because it's not located with the other links like jumping to the first page or last page- you don't even realize it's there. If you do see it, it's hard to see, and even harder to click because it's small and in a funky spot.
The arrow has been added next to the title on thread listings, let me know if that helps.

Mark
post #288 of 617 Old 06-13-2014, 12:47 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked: 399
Thanks for adding back the bottom of the page navigation linkage, very handy!
post #289 of 617 Old 06-13-2014, 12:54 PM
AVS Addicted Member

My favorite message board software - by far - is the one used over at the Blu-ray forum. I am not sure what it's called.

AVS used to use that software before the Huddler I believe.

post #290 of 617 Old 06-13-2014, 12:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
By that you mean? Spoiler tags work in mobile mode.
Like "Classified", "Industry", "Other Areas of Interest"....you used to be able to collapse them on the old Huddler mobile version and you can't now (unless you switch to desktop make the change then switch back to mobile). It is a nice feature if you never visit anything in certain sections.

Bill
post #291 of 617 Old 06-13-2014, 01:04 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 375
The icon for the "likes" summary at the top of each thread needs changing too.

It's almost identical to Facebook and infers that clicking on it relates to Facebook, when it's actually just a summary of the user thumbs up totals in each thread.

And those are represented by hearts, so the usage of the Facebook thumb is even more misleading.

post #292 of 617 Old 06-13-2014, 01:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VerticalScope View Post
The arrow has been added next to the title on thread listings, let me know if that helps.

Mark
You are talking about what specifically ?

This?

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled.png
Views:	122
Size:	18.6 KB
ID:	114249  

-

post #293 of 617 Old 06-13-2014, 01:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddig View Post
Try the desktop tab on the bottom of page they switched the thumbs up to a like tab.

I too have to constantly re-log in.
Thanks but I don't want to have to use the desktop version on my 5 inch screen. Why did they go and mess this thing up?
post #294 of 617 Old 06-13-2014, 01:09 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
My favorite message board software - by far - is the one used over at the Blu-ray forum. I am not sure what it's called.

AVS used to use that software before the Huddler I believe.
AVS is using the same software as Blu-ray.com - vBulletin - and did so before Huddler too.

vBulletin comes in different skins and add-on feature sets. It may look slightly different around the internet but it's built with the same software and has the same basic tools.

post #295 of 617 Old 06-13-2014, 01:10 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post
AVS is using the same software as Blu-ray.com - vBulletin - and did so before Huddler too.

vBulletin comes in different skins and add-on feature sets. It may look slightly different around the internet but it's built with the same software and has the same basic tools.
If AVS could just get it to look very similar to the Blu-ray.com look, I think most people would be very happy.

I would also request the fonts be changed.

post #296 of 617 Old 06-13-2014, 01:19 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Yep--this is just a really, really terrible skin on vBulletin. (And I still haven't figured out how to set a reasonable minimum page width with Stylish; it's got to be set to 700 pixels or so by default).

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"
" -- hookbill
post #297 of 617 Old 06-13-2014, 01:20 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
If AVS could just get it to look very similar to the Blu-ray.com look, I think most people would be very happy.

I would also request the fonts be changed.
One of the advantages of third-party vBulletin over Huddler is that it is easier to slot in new feature tools or change visuals. Huddler was a closed system that relied on the Huddler team to fix it.

So I expect changes and fixes to happen sooner rather than later.

post #298 of 617 Old 06-13-2014, 01:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wattheF View Post
Thanks but I don't want to have to use the desktop version on my 5 inch screen. Why did they go and mess this thing up?
Right neither do I. For sure man.

JBL Pro Cinema
post #299 of 617 Old 06-13-2014, 01:23 PM
Senior Writer @ AVS

Quoted: 1086 Post(s)
Liked: 2249
Hey look at all the dates next to the threads... 12-31-1969, that was before I was born!

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	avs post dates.JPG
Views:	121
Size:	69.5 KB
ID:	114305  

Find out more about Mark Henninger at
post #300 of 617 Old 06-13-2014, 01:29 PM
Administrator

Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post
Hey look at all the dates next to the threads... 12-31-1969, that was before I was born!

Same issue as the "my posts" / find posts as user, we're looking into it.

Mark
imagic likes this.
Reply Community News & Polls

Tags
<<. , frontpage , resolutions

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page