135Likes

post #301 of 614 Old 06-13-2014, 01:49 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 81
The quote function is all messed up.

When using the quote button, the quote has the name of the poster. But, if a user splits the quote by manually entering a closing quote, replying to part of the quote and then adding an opening quote, without the original poster's name, you do not get the indented box around the quote area.

It is so bad that it is sometimes hard to tell where the quoted text ends and the reply is added.

All quotes, no matter what, should be displayed the same.

"What do you say Beckett. Wanna have a baby?" - Castle to Det. Beckett
"How Long have I been gone?" Alexis after arriving home and seeing Castle and Beckett w/ the baby - Castle - 11/25/13
Mr. Video
My Geek Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #302 of 614 Old 06-13-2014, 03:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked: 298
One thing I found is that I get notifications that I have been quoted in a post and when I click on the link it takes me to my profile? I cannot find the threads. I can kind of guess, but still cannot get a link to them.

Also were the missing AVS club badges mentioned? I see the gold members kept theirs.
post #303 of 614 Old 06-13-2014, 03:21 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefdvr27 View Post
One thing I found is that I get notifications that I have been quoted in a post and when I click on the link it takes me to my profile? I cannot find the threads. I can kind of guess, but still cannot get a link to them.
There are two links in that e-mail. The first one should send you to the posting. I can't easily test it because my e-mail arrives on my Solaris server, while my AVS web browsing is done on my Linux box.

"How Long have I been gone?" Alexis after arriving home and seeing Castle and Beckett w/ the baby - Castle - 11/25/13
Mr. Video
My Geek Images

post #304 of 614 Old 06-13-2014, 03:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 150
Why is it that the pages are so much easier to navigate on my desktop compared to my tablet?
post #305 of 614 Old 06-13-2014, 03:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 320
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidHir View Post
My favorite message board software - by far - is the one used over at the Blu-ray forum. I am not sure what it's called.
"odd" perhaps?

Quote:
If AVS could just get it to look very similar to the Blu-ray.com look, I think most people would be very happy.
I'm not so sure of that. While AVS seems to have taken a step or two back with this 'upgrade' the format blu-ray has chosen is not ideal by any stretch of the imagination.

If you take yourself too seriously expect me to do the exact opposite
post #306 of 614 Old 06-13-2014, 03:41 PM
Administrator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 246 Post(s)
Liked: 294
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefdvr27 View Post
Some accounts, mine included, are missing needed tabs in the profile page. I've already reported it.

Attached Images
File Type: png Capture.PNG (5.0 KB, 185 views)
File Type: png Capture2.PNG (2.0 KB, 185 views)

Mike Lang
Administrator
Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself.
Join the AVS Club and help support the site. Help Support AVS Forum Sponsors.
post #307 of 614 Old 06-13-2014, 04:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 244 Post(s)
Liked: 570
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wilkinson View Post

AVS Forum relaunches on vBulletin! Learn what's new—or, more precisely, what's new again—now that AVS has gone back to its roots.

As you've no doubt noticed, AVS Forum has undergone a major transformation. For the last two years or so, AVS has operated using a proprietary software platform developed by the site's owner, Huddler. A few months ago, VerticalScope, a company that specializes in online forums, acquired AVS from Huddler. Since the Huddler platform is proprietary, we've had to move the site to another platform—in this case, a common forum platform called vBulletin (which AVS used before it was acquired by Huddler in 2011).

For those who have been members of AVS for more than three years—or who are members of other vBulletin-based forums (which is most of them)—the new user interface will be old hat. But for those who recently joined AVS and do not hang out on other vBulletin forums, here are some of the major differences you'll see:

- The editor used to enter and edit posts is now like the one used on other vBulletin-based forums.

- Graphics such as photos and screen shots can no longer be simply embedded in a post. They must now be uploaded and their URLs must be pasted into the post.

- Settings and preferences are now in User CP (control panel) rather than My Profile. This includes thread subscriptions.

- The search capabilities are more refined. For example, there is now a built-in Google search option, and you can easily find the threads you've started and comments you've posted by clicking on the magnifying-glass icon at the far right of the main nav bar.

- The main nav bar now includes Active Topics and New Posts tabs.

- Reviews and Articles are now normal threads that behave in the same way as other forum threads.

- Printable thread view is back, letting you print or download threads for reading offline.

Other changes are planned in the coming weeks, such as the return of the Retro skin and fully functional sticky threads, so watch for those.

Of course, it will take some time for everyone to get used to the changes, and there will be bumps in the road as we work out the kinks, so I hope you'll be patient and point out any problems you might encounter in the "welcome back" thread in the Forum Operations Center. But the forums will remain as lively and informative as ever, and we will continue to post professionally written editorial content from an industry-insider perspective.

So come on in, have a look around, and join over a million of your closest friends in the world's largest online community of audio/video enthusiasts. Welcome home!

Like AVS Forum on Facebook
Follow AVS Forum on Twitter
+1 AVS Forum on Google+
here's my problem. every time I click to a new page, it apparently loads it like 8 times consecutively, so my back function is useless... what is going on with that?

I go on a lot of forums, and most are vbulletin like this, and none of them cause this issue.

that being said, I do miss options like 'go to your last post'. that was one thing I wish was found on all the forums I visit.

EDIT: also, why is 'quick reply' the same thing as 'quote'? I didn't want to quote the first post, I just wanted to reply, um, quickly...
post #308 of 614 Old 06-13-2014, 06:04 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Suggestion: Clicking on the quoted portion of a post will take you to the original post.

Testing edit functionality: The new format is much faster!
post #309 of 614 Old 06-13-2014, 06:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 396
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWilson View Post
"odd" perhaps?

I'm not so sure of that. While AVS seems to have taken a step or two back with this 'upgrade' the format blu-ray has chosen is not ideal by any stretch of the imagination.
If you can link me to a VB better than Blu-ray's implementation, I would love to see it.

post #310 of 614 Old 06-13-2014, 06:11 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked: 328
Quote:
Originally Posted by oreb View Post
Suggestion: Clicking on the quoted portion of a post will take you to the original post.
There is a little widget for that to the right of the poster's name.

-Bill
oreb likes this.
post #311 of 614 Old 06-13-2014, 06:12 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_gt View Post
EDIT: also, why is 'quick reply' the same thing as 'quote'? I didn't want to quote the first post, I just wanted to reply, um, quickly...
Don't use the "Quick Reply" button. Just go to the text entry box at the bottom and then press the "Submit Quick Reply" button farther down the page. Can't be any quicker than that.

Mr. Video
My Geek Images

post #312 of 614 Old 06-13-2014, 06:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 320
Quote:
If you can link me to a VB better than Blu-ray's implementation, I would love to see it.
There are too many to choose from. For me it would be which one isn't better than blu-ray's.

If you take yourself too seriously expect me to do the exact opposite
post #313 of 614 Old 06-13-2014, 06:21 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
here's my problem. every time I click to a new page, it apparently loads it like 8 times consecutively, so my back function is useless... what is going on with that?
I don't know what you exactly mean by "click to a new page," so I'm going to assume that you mean going to a new thread. For example, The HDTV Programming page is up, listing the first page of topics. At that point you would click on the v (down arrow to the left of the thread title) to go to the first unread posting in the thread. Not sure how useful a back function is when you read more than one page of the thread.

I just don't click on the (down arrow) to display the thread. I shift-click on the (down arrow) to load the thread in a new tab of the browser (Opera 12). I read all of the new posts and when I'm done, I just close the tab and the browser then displays the last tab I was one. In the case, the list of HDTV Programming topic.

Am I on track or do you mean something completely different?

Mr. Video
My Geek Images

post #314 of 614 Old 06-13-2014, 06:32 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I like vBulletin so I'm happy about the change. Never liked the previous incarnation with one exception; people's gear and being able to set up a signature link/icon to it. I will miss that. Does this version of vB offer anything like that? Did we basically lose all the gear set up we had?

post #315 of 614 Old 06-13-2014, 06:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 177
New bug

Seems you must enter at least three characters in a post.

So we can't do a +1 anymore. I guess it will have to be a +1.0

Glimmie's HT Page
Being redone - comming soon!

post #316 of 614 Old 06-13-2014, 06:35 PM
Thread Ender

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvideo View Post
I don't know what you exactly mean by "click to a new page," so I'm going to assume that you mean going to a new thread. For example, The HDTV Programming page is up, listing the first page of topics. At that point you would click on the v (down arrow to the left of the thread title) to go to the first unread posting in the thread. Not sure how useful a back function is when you read more than one page of the thread.

I just don't click on the (down arrow) to display the thread. I shift-click on the (down arrow) to load the thread in a new tab of the browser (Opera 12). I read all of the new posts and when I'm done, I just close the tab and the browser then displays the last tab I was one. In the case, the list of HDTV Programming topic.

Am I on track or do you mean something completely different?
I saw an earlier post that indicated that the Active Topics box to the right was somehow causing pages to be loaded multiple times in Internet Explorer. Then when you page back it exits them one-by-one...

Don't ever make the MISTAKE of buying a Samsung TV..
They consider THIS
normal on a two month old set..
post #317 of 614 Old 06-13-2014, 06:37 PM
Administrator

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glimmie View Post
Seems you must enter at least three characters in a post.

So we can't do a +1 anymore. I guess it will have to be a +1.0
Changed to 2 characters, so you can +1 or -1 a post.

Mark
post #318 of 614 Old 06-13-2014, 07:54 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 346
Quote:
Originally Posted by VerticalScope View Post

Mark
Or just ban the practice completely. It's completely redundant with a "like" button and an empty gesture. If you like the post enough to reply then have the courtesy to give the vote to the person who earned it. It seems to me the only reasons not to are to prevent other people from getting more upvotes and increasing your own post count.

post #319 of 614 Old 06-13-2014, 08:00 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 818
Quote:
. . . .
Go to User CP > Edit Your Details and Disable the Sidebar.

Multiple posters have reported that cures this problem (pending a real fix).
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #320 of 614 Old 06-13-2014, 08:02 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 10
How do you subscribe to threads?
post #321 of 614 Old 06-13-2014, 08:09 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 818
^ Thread Tools button upper right of any page of posts in the Thread. Select Subscribe to This thread from that. It will take you to a confirmation page, so be sure to click the Add Subscription button to complete the process.

You can also set the default operation in your User CP > Edit Options to AUTOMATICALLY subscribe to any Thread you post in.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #322 of 614 Old 06-13-2014, 08:19 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy sullivan View Post
Why is it that the pages are so much easier to navigate on my desktop compared to my tablet?
Yes, I have the same issue. Never had this issue on my ipad. Makes it even harder since some of the buttons are smaller andnhavento be pressed twice and i have sausage fingers. Its not working out well for me.

Sub build http://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-di...et-r-done.html
Center - JBL LC2
Mains - JBL L820
Surrounds - JBL L820
Sub -Updating to Duals with UXL-18"s A bit different
post #323 of 614 Old 06-13-2014, 08:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 317
Quote:
There are too many to choose from. For me it would be which one isn't better than blu-ray's.

I'd love to see one example as well
post #324 of 614 Old 06-13-2014, 08:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwa View Post
I think we already swamped them with so many bitches/gripes/complaints that they had to take it down to catch up.

Woo hoo, "Likes" (the old "Thumbs Up") are already back though...they're listening!
I also miss them (thumbs Up)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown15 View Post
One of the things that I loved about AVS compared to other forums was how easy it was to upload pictures. Now sadly AVS is just like all of the other forums, I hate posting pictures having to use a host site!
PLEASE it not even so.
I am a computer idiot!
Took me years to figure how to post pictures and now, I have to go through another loop!

Honestly, I did prefer the old format.

Ray

P.S. I stop reading and post at post # 15 and will not post again as I see lots of other member agree with me so far, others may have a different opinion.

Birthdays are good for you
The more you have
The longer you live
post #325 of 614 Old 06-13-2014, 08:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VerticalScope View Post

Mark
Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post
Or just ban the practice completely. It's completely redundant with a "like" button and an empty gesture. If you like the post enough to reply then have the courtesy to give the vote to the person who earned it. It seems to me the only reasons not to are to prevent other people from getting more upvotes and increasing your own post count.
How about;
Like and Help ones.

Meaning you agree or it was helpful!

Ray

The more you have
The longer you live
post #326 of 614 Old 06-13-2014, 09:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 346
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthray View Post
How about;
Like and Help ones.

Meaning you agree or it was helpful!

Ray
That's an arbitrary distinction. Like/helpful/thumbs up are just different terms for an upvote. The context of a vote is irrelevant because either way you are acknowledging the positive value of whatever was posted, so give the credit to whoever posted it. Posts containing just a literal +1 are also a waste of space. Those belong in the past with old software platforms.

The new AVS platform needs to fix the quoting too. Put the user and "quote" in the actual quote. Look how clunky it is right now with a redundant "quote" above "Originally posted ..." and then above the actual quote. A further waste of space and just from seeing other vBulletin forums I know that can be resolved.

Last edited by VisionOn; 06-13-2014 at 09:49 PM.
post #327 of 614 Old 06-13-2014, 09:55 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 396
Quote:
That's okay, I would just like to see an example.

I visit about 5-6 different message boards in general; a couple of them non-home theater and Blu-ray's is still my favorite.

post #328 of 614 Old 06-13-2014, 09:57 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked: 481
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComponentActual View Post
How do you subscribe to threads?
The bar just above the first post on the page has a pull down menu on the far right labelled "Thread Tools" which contains that option.

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
post #329 of 614 Old 06-13-2014, 09:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 102
My entry page is "Subscribed Threads". I'm really missing the old button there to "Mark subscribed threads read", which I would use when I'd see an ignored poster has bumped a thread. The "New Posts" page also lacks a "Mark forums read" button. To find "Mark Forums Read", you have to go to the Forums page, and then it appears at the very bottom, or, when inside a Forum, it shows up in the Forum Tools menu. Given that the forum software doesn't automatically mark things read based on visiting the site, these buttons should be prominently available at the tops of all these pages.
post #330 of 614 Old 06-13-2014, 10:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post
That's an arbitrary distinction. Like/helpful/thumbs up are just different terms for an upvote. The context of a vote is irrelevant because either way you are acknowledging the positive value of whatever was posted, so give the credit to whoever posted it. Posts containing just a literal +1 are also a waste of space. Those belong in the past with old software platforms.

The new AVS platform needs to fix the quoting too. Put the user and "quote" in the actual quote. Look how clunky it is right now with a redundant "quote" above "Originally posted ..." and then above the actual quote. A further waste of space and just from seeing other vBulletin forums I know that can be resolved.
It was just a sugestion.

For the Quote
I think we should be able a quote from a certain post and paste-it to another thread if it can be of some help for something relevent for a previous question.

I think this could be an easy tool to use.

Ray

The more you have
The longer you live
Reply Community News & Polls

Tags
<<. , frontpage , resolutions

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page