Forum Jump: 
 136Likes

post #391 of 628 Old 06-16-2014, 11:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 246 Post(s)
Liked: 344
The more I read, the more I realize that this platform does have the potential to be greater than the last. Everyone used the old platform differently, which is why it's so critical that we continue to contribute our suggestions. I would like to suggest something to the group as well. You see, bringing back features that we used to have is fine, but lets take it a step further and ask for features we've never experienced before, but would like to have. This is a rare opportunity to enhance our own AVS experience during this transition. It'll be years before another opportunity presents itself. I'll start (or continue, if this has already been initiated):

Is there a way to host video chat on AVS? An embedded skype-client, perhaps? We talk alot about our systems here, and It would be neat to click something like "Contact With Skype" under an avatar, so we can video chat through AVS and show people what we're posting about.
erhurd likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #392 of 628 Old 06-16-2014, 11:28 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked: 999
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrolicBeast View Post
The more I read, the more I realize that this platform does have the potential to be greater than the last. Everyone used the old platform differently, which is why it's so critical that we continue to contribute our suggestions. I would like to suggest something to the group as well. You see, bringing back features that we used to have is fine, but lets take it a step further and ask for features we've never experienced before, but would like to have. This is a rare opportunity to enhance our own AVS experience during this transition. It'll be years before another opportunity presents itself. I'll start (or continue, if this has already been initiated):

Is there a way to host video chat on AVS? An embedded skype-client, perhaps? We talk alot about our systems here, and It would be neat to click something like "Contact With Skype" under an avatar, so we can video chat through AVS and show people what we're posting about.
This is a cool idea.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #393 of 628 Old 06-16-2014, 11:31 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by
Win7/Chrome, the spoiler tag does appear to be already open, AND when I click on it it takes me to the top of the page...
In Win7/Chrome here the spoiler is working perfectly....go figure...
post #394 of 628 Old 06-16-2014, 11:43 AM
Administrator

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 274 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidHir View Post
For private messages, is there a way any longer to attach images other than using a URL?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lang View Post
Quote:
For private messages, is there a way any longer to attach images other than using a URL?
By default, vBulletin does not allow for attachments in private messages. I looked at several other vB forums I belong to and it's not available on any of them.
There may be a plugin for this, I will see if such a beast exists.
post #395 of 628 Old 06-16-2014, 11:47 AM
Administrator

Quoted: 409 Post(s)
Liked: 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by VerticalScope View Post
There may be a plugin for this, I will see if such a beast exists.
I'll send you one that may work via PM.

Mike Lang
Administrator
Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself.
Join the AVS Club and help support the site. Help Support AVS Forum Sponsors.
post #396 of 628 Old 06-16-2014, 12:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
By default, vBulletin does not allow for attachments in private messages. I looked at several other vB forums I belong to and it's not available on any of them.
Can't you do IMG links from Photobucket or like? I've never been one to attach images to specific forums anyway.
post #397 of 628 Old 06-16-2014, 12:27 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickTheGreat View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Can't you do IMG links from Photobucket or like? I've never been one to attach images to specific forums anyway.
Should be able to IMG the images. I will test this to confirm.
post #398 of 628 Old 06-16-2014, 12:27 PM
Thread Ender

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Sorel View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by
Win7/Chrome, the spoiler tag does appear to be already open, AND when I click on it it takes me to the top of the page...
In Win7/Chrome here the spoiler is working perfectly....go figure...
When I go to the "24" post I linked earlier this is what I see (without clicking on anything):

Although earlier if I would then click on the Spoiler it would take me to the top of the page, now it simply closes the Spoiler tag (and then it toggles open/closed properly).

"24: Live Another Day"

Click image for larger version

Name:	AVS11.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	91.3 KB
ID:	120866

Don't ever make the MISTAKE of buying a Samsung TV..
They consider THIS
normal on a two month old set..

Last edited by WS65711; 06-16-2014 at 12:55 PM.
post #399 of 628 Old 06-16-2014, 12:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 133
Thumbs up Love "User CP" New Subscribed Threads

I love how the "New Subscribed Threads" on the "User CP" page lists all the subscribed threads with unread messages, starting with the thread with the most recent message!

In the previous software, all subscribed threads were listed, whether or not there were new messages, which I found less convenient.
VerticalScope likes this.

My very humble setup:
Man Cave:Vizio E500i-A1 "Smart TV" (50-in 1080p 120Hz LED/LCD, has Netflix app.), Blu-ray players (Sony BDP-S3100, old LG BD390), Roku (the original model: N1000), PC (Windows 7), Comcast Internet (25Mbps/5Mbps).
Bedroom:LG 32LV3400-UA TV (32-in 768p 60Hz LED/LCD), HD DVR (Motorola RNG200N), Xfinity Comcast cable (Digital Starter Package), DVD/VHS player.
post #400 of 628 Old 06-16-2014, 12:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked: 79
I hope we can pull a rabbit out of the hat with this
Photo Sharing Gallery by PhotoPost
Copyright © 2012 All Enthusiast, Inc.

Looking at their home page makes me cringe. Looking at there showcase customers makes me cringe. Looking at our gallery makes me cringe. Thinking of how one could Google by site:avsforum.com and hit the nail, and trying it now, guess what ... makes me cringe.

Whether we've been crawled or not, out days of visual domination are at risk.

Name:	2014-06-16_144200.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	93.4 KB
ID:	120994
post #401 of 628 Old 06-16-2014, 01:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked: 273
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by saprano View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown15 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post
Quote:
I don't know if its been mentioned yet but I'm really happy to see the drop down menu back up and when you hold your curser over the forums tab. But its there a way to also get the secondary drop down menu's going again too?
It's been requested.

-Bill
Creative is working on this on Monday. We hope to have this back up by next week.

Mark

Mark, it was also nice that when you were in a thread on the right hand side you could see pictures that had been posted in that thread. And then when you clicked on "see pictures" it would pull up all of the pictures that had been posted in that thread. Will this feature be back at some point too?

You guys must be sick of all the picky forum members....lol
Not at all, we want to make sure you have all the things you need to be happy on AVS. It's what we're here for!

I'll see if I can find a plugin to display that. Note that it'll latch onto the sidebar if I do, so for those who disabled the sidebar they won't see it.

Mark
The picture attachments that's there now for threads don't have the pictures that were there before with the first VB format. Have they been deleted with the change? I was disappointed with the change to huddler since it never used attachments. So i'm happy they're back but it seems pictures have gotten lost.
@saprano Those original links should work. Can you give me a attachment that isn't so I can look at it with Huddler?

Mark
Attachments work, but only recent ones are there and PDF's. For example the Pioneer 9G owners thread had alot of picture attachments from years ago. But now they're not there anymore. So i'm guessing the change back to an updated VB didn't carry over all the pictures pass a certain time frame?

home theater addict
post #402 of 628 Old 06-16-2014, 01:07 PM
AVS Special Member

What do all the symbols mean next to threads? I know the paper clip is attachments but what are the rest?

home theater addict
post #403 of 628 Old 06-16-2014, 01:11 PM
Administrator

Quote:

Attachments work, but only recent ones are there and PDF's. For example the Pioneer 9G owners thread had alot of picture attachments from years ago. But now they're not there anymore. So i'm guessing the change back to an updated VB didn't carry over all the pictures pass a certain time frame?
Can you give me the link to that thread and which post was supposed to have attachments, please?

Mark
post #404 of 628 Old 06-16-2014, 01:31 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Quoted: 593 Post(s)
Liked: 375
Quote:
What do all the symbols mean next to threads? I know the paper clip is attachments but what are the rest?
Guessing:

thumbtack: sticky thread
tag: tags in use? (I've never used the feature)

For me: that info could be deleted, along with the Notification and checkbox columns.

-Bill
post #405 of 628 Old 06-16-2014, 01:40 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
We are making the menu follow you as you scroll, expecting that to go live later this week.

Mark
Thanks Mark!
post #406 of 628 Old 06-16-2014, 01:44 PM
Administrator

The menu follow option on mobile is now live, so you can click the menu wherever you are on a thread. They are working on the "close" button for it (as it's not obvious that clicking content closes it).

Mark
Woobieizer likes this.
post #407 of 628 Old 06-16-2014, 01:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 199 Post(s)
Liked: 118
In Orange is the New Black (13 Episode Season Netflix Original) thread the spoilers are already open w/o clicking, it's happening exactly like WS65711, they use to take me to the top of the page but now that part is fixed, now to fix the "default spoiler open" thing.

RIP Mom, we always love you 8/18/13
post #408 of 628 Old 06-16-2014, 02:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 28
arrow to get to last post missing today, on Chrome
post #409 of 628 Old 06-16-2014, 03:40 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 438 Post(s)
Liked: 442
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrLar View Post
In Orange is the New Black (13 Episode Season Netflix Original) thread the spoilers are already open w/o clicking, it's happening exactly like WS65711, they use to take me to the top of the page but now that part is fixed, now to fix the "default spoiler open" thing.
I'll remove the two I posted in that thread.

The spoiler function works just fine here with Win7/Chrome by the way, the center positioning of it looks silly as hell, but it does work.
post #410 of 628 Old 06-16-2014, 03:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Quote:

Can you give me the link to that thread and which post was supposed to have attachments, please?

Mark
No, no. The attachments in the actual thread are fine. I'm talking about the attachment feature that's next to threads that opens a page full of all the pictures and PDF's in the thread.

Also would it possible to bring back all the pictures being easily accessible at the side of a thread like it was before?
Woobieizer likes this.

home theater addict

Last edited by saprano; 06-16-2014 at 03:46 PM.
post #411 of 628 Old 06-16-2014, 03:47 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I don't know if its been mentioned yet but I'm really happy to see the drop down menu back up and when you hold your curser over the forums tab. But its there a way to also get the secondary drop down menu's going again too?
It's been requested.

-Bill
Creative is working on this on Monday. We hope to have this back up by next week.

Mark

Mark, it was also nice that when you were in a thread on the right hand side you could see pictures that had been posted in that thread. And then when you clicked on "see pictures" it would pull up all of the pictures that had been posted in that thread. Will this feature be back at some point too?

Not at all, we want to make sure you have all the things you need to be happy on AVS. It's what we're here for!

I'll see if I can find a plugin to display that. Note that it'll latch onto the sidebar if I do, so for those who disabled the sidebar they won't see it.

Mark
The picture attachments that's there now for threads don't have the pictures that were there before with the first VB format. Have they been deleted with the change? I was disappointed with the change to huddler since it never used attachments. So i'm happy they're back but it seems pictures have gotten lost.
@saprano Those original links should work. Can you give me a attachment that isn't so I can look at it with Huddler?

Mark
I quoted this post merely to show how insanely crazy this style of quote nesting works.
post #412 of 628 Old 06-16-2014, 03:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keenan View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
It's been requested.

-Bill

Mark

Mark

Mark
I quoted this post merely to show how insanely crazy this style of quote nesting works.
I'm down for the
High-occupancy vehicle lane
post #413 of 628 Old 06-16-2014, 04:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 93
I am having a ton of issues with Tapatalk not displaying quoted posts correctly. As a matter of fact, on the whole, the forum upgrade is an abomination thus far...
post #414 of 628 Old 06-16-2014, 04:08 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woobieizer View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
It's been requested.

-Bill

Mark

Mark

Mark
I'm down for the
You mean like having individual quotes matched with the actual poster as opposed to having the poster's name separated from what they've posted like the above? Then yes, I'm down for that too.

I honestly don't understand how anyone could like the way it works above, how do you tell who said what?

Just think, if this post keeps getting quoted it will eventually extend the full length of a forum page, a single post, awesome.
post #415 of 628 Old 06-16-2014, 04:14 PM
Thread Ender

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
It's been requested.

-Bill

Mark

Mark

Mark
And it's 1000 times worse on a phone . . .

Don't ever make the MISTAKE of buying a Samsung TV..
They consider THIS
normal on a two month old set..
post #416 of 628 Old 06-16-2014, 04:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
It's been requested.

-Bill

Mark

Mark

Mark
I'm down for the
You mean like having individual quotes matched with the actual poster as opposed to having the poster's name separated from what they've posted like the above? Then yes, I'm down for that too.

I honestly don't understand how anyone could like the way it works above, how do you tell who said what?

Just think, if this post keeps getting quoted it will eventually extend the full length of a forum page, a single post, awesome.
If you mean by having the individual quotes delineated then yes
IDKAU but I read my email first..

Name:	read email first.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	823.1 KB
ID:	121514
post #417 of 628 Old 06-16-2014, 04:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 133
Quotes do look a whole lot better when there is a box around each quote. This is an example from one phpBB that I frequent (with names blanked out):

Notice both the boarder and the use of a different shade to make each quote in the nested quote stand out.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Quotes_on_phpBB.GIF
Views:	188
Size:	125.0 KB
ID:	121562  

My very humble setup:
Man Cave:Vizio E500i-A1 "Smart TV" (50-in 1080p 120Hz LED/LCD, has Netflix app.), Blu-ray players (Sony BDP-S3100, old LG BD390), Roku (the original model: N1000), PC (Windows 7), Comcast Internet (25Mbps/5Mbps).
Bedroom:LG 32LV3400-UA TV (32-in 768p 60Hz LED/LCD), HD DVR (Motorola RNG200N), Xfinity Comcast cable (Digital Starter Package), DVD/VHS player.
post #418 of 628 Old 06-16-2014, 04:40 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
It's been requested.

-Bill

Mark

Mark

Mark
I'm down for the

If you mean by having the individual quotes delineated then yes
IDKAU but I read my email first..

Attachment 121514
Yes, that's exactly what I mean.
post #419 of 628 Old 06-16-2014, 04:41 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by WS65711 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
It's been requested.

-Bill

Mark

Mark

Mark
And it's 1000 times worse on a phone . . .
It would seem to render mobile useless as far as reading the forum.
post #420 of 628 Old 06-16-2014, 04:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark12547 View Post
Quotes do look a whole lot better when there is a box around each quote. This is an example from one phpBB that I frequent (with names blanked out):

Notice both the boarder and the use of a different shade to make each quote in the nested quote stand out.

^^^^^
Exactly Mark!!
Reply Community News & Polls

Tags
<<. , frontpage , resolutions

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page