Forum Jump: 
 136Likes

post #31 of 628 Old 06-11-2014, 11:58 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked: 152
First, I don't think I truly noticed just how often I visit AVS on a typical day. It felt like it was down forever

Anyway, I'm most a fan of moving (back) to vBulletin since skills from other forums translate well. I am missing the ability to view 100 posts at a time, though. Perhaps a feature enhancement to bring that back?

And kudos for maintaining all links and embedded images. Those are all too typically casualties of moves like this so having them all work is a testament to the skill of the admins!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 628 Old 06-11-2014, 11:59 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 49
I can't find my equipment list. Where did it go? Along with the pictures I uploaded?
post #33 of 628 Old 06-12-2014, 12:02 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Unfortunately, this new forum has broken the Classifieds section. There are no longer any pictures, and you can't see the prices that where there before in the title's.

Last edited by Jindrak; 06-12-2014 at 12:04 AM.
post #34 of 628 Old 06-12-2014, 12:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by granroth View Post
First, I don't think I truly noticed just how often I visit AVS on a typical day. It felt like it was down forever

Anyway, I'm most a fan of moving (back) to vBulletin since skills from other forums translate well. I am missing the ability to view 100 posts at a time, though. Perhaps a feature enhancement to bring that back?

And kudos for maintaining all links and embedded images. Those are all too typically casualties of moves like this so having them all work is a testament to the skill of the admins!
I can't believe how long it seemed like the site was offline. I got so much more done today! But I still hit that refresh button every chance I had.

FS- Netgear 550 .ISO player - PM me
My Gear-Pioneer, JBL Pro Cinema, Fi Car Audio 4- SP4 18", Peavey IPR2 7500 x 4 -Mini-Dsp 4x10, GIK Acoustics, Seymour Screens 110" AT, Dune Smarts, uNraid Server
Theater Build and Two Sono Sub Builds Here-
post #35 of 628 Old 06-12-2014, 12:15 AM
Administrator

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Ball View Post
The LAST POST column seems now very handicapped. It used to show a preview, date and time, and direct link to the last post in each thread. It no longer does at the forum level.

On the general forums listing page, it still works as before, but once you enter a specific forum it's completely handicapped at the thread level. It shows a link to an author's profile and a caret that seems to take you to some midpoint in the thread posting history - not even the last page - perhaps where you last read. There is no preview, or direct link to the last post.

This was a quick way to see if a thread had been updated since my last visit by scanning the LAST POST previews and then clicking on it if I wanted to view the last post. No longer.
Added to the list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyrob425 View Post
x2

I use to be able to click my username and easily see the threads i posted in and if people have replied to them since i checked that thread last. Browsing the site was so much easier and more user friendly. Now I can see my past posts by clicking more pages (means more ad views so more ad revenue for AVS crew i guess) and its not clear if people have replied since i visited that thread last

Yeah its no where near the same as explained above.

Addittionally the removal of the "thread starter" next throughout the OP's further posts was very helpful to making sure the OP specifically gets the advice he needs.
-------------------------------------------------------------------
I fear this update will get me taking a break from this forum much like the removal of the dedicated forum iPhone app did for me back in 2010-2011ish
Thanks for the reports, we are working on fulfilling as many requests as we can. I hope that when you do come back its closer to what you are accustomed to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown15 View Post
How do I get the URL for pictures that I already have on my computer?

I hate this already, I use to be able to do things fairly easily on the old site. Now I feel like a total noob!....lol

I feel like a 5yr old kicking and screaming saying that "I hate this"....lol
I am happy to help you. Shoot me a pm to remind me you need help with image attachments.

Quote:
Gold members do but not AVS club members even though I paid for that membership too?
I will look into this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cchunter View Post
What was old should have stayed old at the AVS Forum. Change can be good but this isn't better IMO. Tell you what at this point I'll pay you $25 to convert back to the OLD format.
You can save your money, the Huddler platform is not supported any longer. We are working as fast as we can to get this platform to be even more feature rich and user friendly as huddler was only it will continue to be supported.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jindrak View Post
Unfortunately, this new forum has broken the Classifieds section. There are no longer any pictures, and you can't see the prices that where there before in the title's.
This has been reported, its on our to do list.
post #36 of 628 Old 06-12-2014, 12:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 133
Will just take some getting used to again. Funny how people moaned and complained when switching from vb to huddler and now more of the same.
quizzicus likes this.

ht Panasonic 60" ZT60, Monitor Audio: Silver RX6, RX Centre, RX1; Martinlogan Dynamo 700, Marantz SR5006, PS3, Oppo BDP-103D, Panamax M-5100PM
2ch Sony 32" W650A, Sonus faber Toy Monitor, REL T3, Marantz PM8004, Sony BDP-S1000ES, JVC T-X3 tuner, Apple TV, Peachtree Audio DAC•iT, Panamax MR4300
pc Monitor Audio Radius 90HD, Audioengine D1, FiiO A1
+ Sony 65" XBRX850B, Sony BDP-S5100
post #37 of 628 Old 06-12-2014, 12:29 AM
Administrator

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatuglyguy View Post
Will just take some getting used to again. Funny how people moaned and complained when switching from vb to huddler and now more of the same.
We are doing our best to keep up with the requests.
post #38 of 628 Old 06-12-2014, 12:29 AM
Administrator

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 416 Post(s)
Liked: 357
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatuglyguy View Post
Amen brother.
lovinthehd likes this.

Mike Lang
Administrator
Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself.
Join the AVS Club and help support the site. Help Support AVS Forum Sponsors.
post #39 of 628 Old 06-12-2014, 12:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1227 Post(s)
Liked: 1195
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lang View Post
Amen brother.

Can't say that I agree with that statement, like I said before all of the other forums that I go too are based on the vb and that was the thing that I loved most about AVS that it wasn't.

Oh well, I'll go back to complaining to myself.....lol
dsrussell likes this.
post #40 of 628 Old 06-12-2014, 12:35 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 448 Post(s)
Liked: 442
I moaned a lot when moving from the original vB to Huddler, because Huddler, was in fact, worse. This move though is a lot like going back home again.
post #41 of 628 Old 06-12-2014, 12:42 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 20
thank you. the search feature is back to being useful again.
post #42 of 628 Old 06-12-2014, 12:58 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by henhowc View Post
thank you. the search feature is back to being useful again.
And it doesn't stop with the forum. Be sure to check out the search options in the gallery... http://www.avsforum.com/photopost/search.php?cat=all

Mike Lang
Administrator
Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself.
post #43 of 628 Old 06-12-2014, 01:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 78
My thanks to admins for responding quickly and thoroughly.
post #44 of 628 Old 06-12-2014, 02:20 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 500
After I remembered where my subscriptions used to be the site is back to being familiar.

Search will be better but to be honest I already miss the rollover post preview. You could check the last post in a thread without requiring you to open a new page and load all the messages you hadn't read.
Keenan and wiley165 like this.

post #45 of 628 Old 06-12-2014, 04:47 AM

Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lang View Post
So this image is on my PC. I attach it to this post and it now has its own URL. I then paste that URL between img tags and I get...
Hmmm. I am definitely not Tech Savy! So, first step is to use the Paper Clip Icon to "upload" to the post?

It then looks like [Attach] 110489 [/attach]... and I just change the attach words to img?? (I am testing this as I do it, so, I guess I'll see in a moment)

[img]110489[/img]

Well, that shows up as the 'thumbnail', how do you get it to show up large? (well, it did show the thumbnail picture before I edited it, now it isn't)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Rendering Looking towards Front.jpg
Views:	489
Size:	55.4 KB
ID:	110489  

Last edited by kmhvball; 06-12-2014 at 04:50 AM. Reason: New Data
post #46 of 628 Old 06-12-2014, 04:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 830 Post(s)
Liked: 555
Quote:
Gold members do but not AVS club members even though I paid for that membership too?
I agree, club member could disable the adds also!

I also noticed that the Avs club tag is missing. I had just made a payment a couple of months ago.

Last edited by Reefdvr27; 06-12-2014 at 04:59 AM.
post #47 of 628 Old 06-12-2014, 05:47 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked: 632
No offense, but this is the worst vBulletin implementation I've had the displeasure of using. I'm on lots of vBulletin forums, but none of them are quite like this.

The message entry box is tiny, the edit message box is tiny. I get e-mails when I've been quoted with no obvious way to turn those off, There aren't very many threads listed on a single page, the forum order is different...

Last edited by Stereodude; 06-12-2014 at 05:51 AM.
post #48 of 628 Old 06-12-2014, 05:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 39
How come half of that post is black? i am using the dark color scheme, and the post is black on black, aside from a few words in white. All ot the other posts have white fonts...is there anything I can do (aside from changing my background color just to read the post...)?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wilkinson View Post

AVS Forum relaunches on vBulletin! Learn what's new—or, more precisely, what's new again—now that AVS has gone back to its roots.

As you've no doubt noticed, AVS Forum has undergone a major transformation. For the last two years or so, AVS has operated using a proprietary software platform developed by the site's owner, Huddler. A few months ago, VerticalScope, a company that specializes in online forums, acquired AVS from Huddler. Since the Huddler platform is proprietary, we've had to move the site to another platform—in this case, a common forum platform called vBulletin (which AVS used before it was acquired by Huddler in 2011).

For those who have been members of AVS for more than three years—or who are members of other vBulletin-based forums (which is most of them)—the new user interface will be old hat. But for those who recently joined AVS and do not hang out on other vBulletin forums, here are some of the major differences you'll see:

- The editor used to enter and edit posts is now like the one used on other vBulletin-based forums.

- Graphics such as photos and screen shots can no longer be simply embedded in a post. They must now be uploaded or attached and their URLs must be pasted into the post to see them at full size.

- Settings and preferences are now in User CP (control panel) rather than My Profile. This includes thread subscriptions.

- The search capabilities are more refined. For example, there is now a built-in Google search option, and you can easily find the threads you've started and comments you've posted by clicking on the magnifying-glass icon at the far right of the main nav bar.

- The main nav bar now includes Active Topics and New Posts tabs.

- Reviews and Articles are now normal threads that behave in the same way as other forum threads.

- Printable thread view is back, letting you print or download threads for reading offline.

Other changes are planned in the coming weeks, such as the return of the Retro skin and fully functional sticky threads, so watch for those.

Of course, it will take some time for everyone to get used to the changes, and there will be bumps in the road as we work out the kinks, so I hope you'll be patient and point out any problems you encounter in the "welcome back" thread in the Forum Operations Center. But the forums will remain as lively and informative as ever, and we will continue to post professionally written editorial content from an industry-insider perspective.

So come on in, have a look around, and join over a million of your closest friends in the world's largest online community of audio/video enthusiasts. Welcome home!

Like AVS Forum on Facebook
Follow AVS Forum on Twitter
+1 AVS Forum on Google+

Stef
post #49 of 628 Old 06-12-2014, 06:18 AM
Thread Ender

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 75
It may be new, but when you force font colors in your post it still tends to screw up the system . . .

Click image for larger version

Name:	AVS.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	69.3 KB
ID:	110577

Don't ever make the MISTAKE of buying a Samsung TV..
They consider THIS
normal on a two month old set..

Last edited by WS65711; 06-12-2014 at 06:19 AM. Reason: I see this has already been mentioned in the post above . . .
post #50 of 628 Old 06-12-2014, 06:27 AM
Thread Ender

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmhvball View Post
Hmmm. I am definitely not Tech Savy! So, first step is to use the Paper Clip Icon to "upload" to the post?

It then looks like [Attach] 110489 [/attach]... and I just change the attach words to img?? (I am testing this as I do it, so, I guess I'll see in a moment)

[img]110489[/img]

Well, that shows up as the 'thumbnail', how do you get it to show up large? (well, it did show the thumbnail picture before I edited it, now it isn't)

You need to "Attach" your picture..
It will display as a thumbnail..
Click on the thumbnail to open it to full size..
THEN copy the URL of the full size image..
THEN insert that into your post as a picture using the "Insert Image" icon button..

Easy as Pie?
kmhvball likes this.

Don't ever make the MISTAKE of buying a Samsung TV..
They consider THIS
normal on a two month old set..
post #51 of 628 Old 06-12-2014, 06:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 213
any way to bring back the black and grey "theme/skin?"

My HTPC front end set up
Integration for whole home ATSC, CableCARD, FM radio, Blu-Ray, HD-DVD, DVD, VHS control & capture, video games, and archived & streaming media playback
Mironto's Panasonic plasma black level restoration guide
Restore the initial MLL on a 2009 Panasonic plasma
post #52 of 628 Old 06-12-2014, 06:57 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsoccer33 View Post
any way to bring back the black and grey "theme/skin?"
Choose the dark skin from the bottom left dropdown menu.
scirica likes this.

Mike Lang
Administrator
post #53 of 628 Old 06-12-2014, 06:59 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by WS65711 View Post
You need to "Attach" your picture..
It will display as a thumbnail..
Click on the thumbnail to open it to full size..
THEN copy the URL of the full size image..
THEN insert that into your post as a picture using the "Insert Image" icon button..

Easy as Pie?
Exactly!

Mike Lang
Administrator
post #54 of 628 Old 06-12-2014, 07:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 270
My major complaints are:
1) Subscriptions should have a direct link from the home page, if not be on the home page itself
2) When I click on a forum I am subscribed to, it needs to take me back to the first unread post like the old system. The new one makes me either start at the beginning of the thread or the end and wade through posts I haven't read yet to find out where I left off. Huge pain.
andrewread likes this.

Xbox Gamertag/PSN ID: RemoWilliams84

"I started out with nothing, and I still got most of it." -Seasick Steve

post #55 of 628 Old 06-12-2014, 07:19 AM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 480
^^^^
for number 1:
click on user CP: use that as your home page: you can then find all your subscriptions

for number 2:
go into quick links at top of page
find mark forums read
now it will take you to last post

please take the high road in every post
if you see a problematic post, please do not quote it or respond to it: report it to the mods to handle
post #56 of 628 Old 06-12-2014, 07:20 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by RemoWilliams84 View Post
My major complaints are:
1) Subscriptions should have a direct link from the home page, if not be on the home page itself
2) When I click on a forum I am subscribed to, it needs to take me back to the first unread post like the old system. The new one makes me either start at the beginning of the thread or the end and wade through posts I haven't read yet to find out where I left off. Huge pain.
+1

My biggest complaints as well, and probably the best usability features of the old site... direct access to subscribed threads from the home page, organized by recent activity and showing me the number of unread posts. That was really helpful to know if i was in for a quick hit to update on a topic, or if i should grab a cup of joe first and plan to camp a while reading... : )

Even better would be some level of customization to the home page to add/remove elements or at least the layout of elements to fit our preferences...

-j
andrewread likes this.
post #57 of 628 Old 06-12-2014, 07:26 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 1
What happened to the rss feeds?
post #58 of 628 Old 06-12-2014, 07:27 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked: 253
As a member since 2002 (Gold since 2010) I have seen most all the iterations of Forum formatting. The vBulletin was the best IMO, so it's return is welcome.

The Editor is more straightforward, with the "Text Color" not defaulting to Blue

I was distressed over the "too cute" Emoticons I saw last night, so their absence this AM is in the least appreciated.

Posting / Embedding images was never a issue before, but in some respects the ease of doing so using the Huddler platform will be about the only thing I might miss.

Like a few others, I probably spent more time going back and forth to and from my PC checking to see if the Forum was back up than is wise to admit to.

..........and when it did come up I was either the 1st or 2nd to attempt a post, and it was so slooooooow I actually fell asleep once waiting for my post to be accepted. Not so this AM.

So for me, this is like seeing a Old Friend after a too long absence. And I don't even owe him any money!

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"

http://www.invisiblestereo.com
post #59 of 628 Old 06-12-2014, 07:30 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 1016
I have some adjusting to do. How is the new mobile app?

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #60 of 628 Old 06-12-2014, 07:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 275
It's good to see you guys have gone back to the original format. As you remember i was one of the members that was VERY disappointed with the change. Funny thing is i've gotten used to the new format and now i'm going to have to get used to the old style again. Haha, such is life. Questions; Is the black theme still available? Do threads have the picture attachments like they use to?

home theater addict
Reply Community News & Polls

Tags
<<. , frontpage , resolutions

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page