post #151 of 628 Old 06-12-2014, 01:06 PM
Administrator

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 281 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peterc613 View Post
Wow, I am amazed that a group of people as tech savvy as AVS would kneecap their product as badly as this.

First, I used the search tab to look for various threads that I have been following. I tried:

JTR Captivator
Danley DTS-10
Seaton Submersive
Mini Marty
UXL-18
LMS-5400
WinISD
REW
MiniDSP
Los Angeles HTG

AVS told me that NONE of these words exist - seriously broken!
@Peterc613 can you confirm that you are using the VB search (the dropdown chooses between Google and VB) - the Google search needs time for Google to index it.

Mark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 628 Old 06-12-2014, 01:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked: 1201
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark haflich View Post
Scott. Will the new ownership continue the tradition of the two previous owners in hosting a Cedia party for forum members and any others interested in attending?
I don't know; I'll ask.

Scott Wilkinson
AVS Editor
post #153 of 628 Old 06-12-2014, 01:23 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 109
Rather interesting this change over. I have two other sites I visit that are non-electronics/audio-visual related that also changed over. They too get some negative feedback as change is not easy for many.

My take - it seems that the conversion used many default templates and settings. Perhaps over time some adjustments will be made as we already see some 'fixes' being done. I admit I don't fancy the new look but it doesn't upset me either and I'm sure in a short while, I'll forget that it was changed over and be back to simply enjoying.

I hope that the folks at AVSforum realize that some of us appreciate the challenges and in turn, will make the necessary adjustments/modifications to keep this site as one of the better ones around.
post #154 of 628 Old 06-12-2014, 01:25 PM
Read the FAQ!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 584 Post(s)
Liked: 986
The "quote" emails setting (in Tag Settings) is for when a post of yours is quoted by someone else when they create a new post.

That's different from getting an email each time someone posts in a thread to which you have subscribed. To turn THAT off you need to go to User CP > Edit Options and change Default Thread Subscription Mode to "No Email Notification". That keeps NEW Subscriptions from being created with email notification.

Then, for any thread that is still sending you emails (because the system Subscribed you before the above was set), you need to go to that thread and Unsubscribe then re-Subscribe which will clear out the email notification setting for that one thread.

Presumably that will only be necessary for threads you posted in since the new VB site went live, and before you made that settings change in User CP.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #155 of 628 Old 06-12-2014, 01:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wilkinson View Post

AVS Forum relaunches on vBulletin! Learn what's new—or, more precisely, what's new again—now that AVS has gone back to its roots.

As you've no doubt noticed, AVS Forum has undergone a major transformation. For the last two years or so, AVS has operated using a proprietary software platform developed by the site's owner, Huddler. A few months ago, VerticalScope, a company that specializes in online forums, acquired AVS from Huddler. Since the Huddler platform is proprietary, we've had to move the site to another platform—in this case, a common forum platform called vBulletin (which AVS used before it was acquired by Huddler in 2011).

For those who have been members of AVS for more than three years—or who are members of other vBulletin-based forums (which is most of them)—the new user interface will be old hat. But for those who recently joined AVS and do not hang out on other vBulletin forums, here are some of the major differences you'll see:

- The editor used to enter and edit posts is now like the one used on other vBulletin-based forums.

- Graphics such as photos and screen shots can no longer be simply embedded in a post. They must now be uploaded and their URLs must be pasted into the post.

- Settings and preferences are now in User CP (control panel) rather than My Profile. This includes thread subscriptions.

- The search capabilities are more refined. For example, there is now a built-in Google search option, and you can easily find the threads you've started and comments you've posted by clicking on the magnifying-glass icon at the far right of the main nav bar.

- The main nav bar now includes Active Topics and New Posts tabs.

- Reviews and Articles are now normal threads that behave in the same way as other forum threads.

- Printable thread view is back, letting you print or download threads for reading offline.

Other changes are planned in the coming weeks, such as the return of the Retro skin and fully functional sticky threads, so watch for those.

Of course, it will take some time for everyone to get used to the changes, and there will be bumps in the road as we work out the kinks, so I hope you'll be patient and point out any problems you might encounter in the "welcome back" thread in the Forum Operations Center. But the forums will remain as lively and informative as ever, and we will continue to post professionally written editorial content from an industry-insider perspective.

So come on in, have a look around, and join over a million of your closest friends in the world's largest online community of audio/video enthusiasts. Welcome home!

Like AVS Forum on Facebook
Follow AVS Forum on Twitter
+1 AVS Forum on Google+
i hate the email look...it's awful. At least the look of AVS Forum is very clean.
post #156 of 628 Old 06-12-2014, 01:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked: 1201
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppagene View Post
Is there any positve point to this move other than lowering operating expenses?
The point of the move is that AVS was acquired by VerticalScope from Huddler and, as a result, the site can no longer use the proprietary Huddler platform. Thus, AVS had to move to a different platform. VerticalScope uses the vBulletin platform, so that's where AVS moved. It has nothing to do with lowering operating expenses, it's a matter of which platform is used by the new owner of the site. Unfortunately, any such move involves some pain, which will subside as we find and fix bugs and refine the system.

Scott Wilkinson
AVS Editor
post #157 of 628 Old 06-12-2014, 01:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 608
'Terms of Use' link at bottom of page takes you to an invalid page.
post #158 of 628 Old 06-12-2014, 01:36 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked: 547
It will be interesting to see how all this pans or works out, as time
goes on - since VerticalScope also owns Home Theater Shack.
Will there be a true seperation between the two?

Speakers > MB Quart VS05, Boston VS260, Snell K7
Subwoofer > Mordaunt Short Aviano 7
Receiver > Tascam PAR-200, Pioneer VSX-30
post #159 of 628 Old 06-12-2014, 01:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 608
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lang View Post
Brand new addition to desktop mode...Tools - Threads I've posted in

Thank you!!! This makes me able to use the site again. Very well done!
post #160 of 628 Old 06-12-2014, 01:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post
I have the following set up in Stylish (in Chrome) and it has no apparent affect. Why?

Code:
#main-container {
  min-width: 400px !important;
  max-width: none !important;
}

Nah, I never said that .
At least for Firefox:

@-moz-document domain("avsforum.com") {

#main-content {margin-right:0px !important; padding:8px 0px 20px 0px;}
}

That plus ABP and the site is great

Bill
post #161 of 628 Old 06-12-2014, 01:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 278
No more custom titles under your name? And the picture attachments on threads is broken as it doesn't have any pics from the thread.

home theater addict
post #162 of 628 Old 06-12-2014, 01:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Just went through this two years ago with the loss of the retro-skin until a thread was started on how to get most of it back. I hope that the retro-skin is coming back sooner than later for us long timers who have only ever used the retro-skin.......

The Mod Squad: New vs. Classic TV Series Opening https://vimeo.com/63119329
post #163 of 628 Old 06-12-2014, 01:49 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Another gripe, and not critical by any means... but...

I liked the auto refresh on the old site (some javascript that refreshed the view) when you navigated between forums, the home page, etc...

I find myself constantly hitting ctrl+r, or f5 to refresh when i go into a thread, then back to the previous page (like for my subscriptions).

Just another "extra step" to get the "same" experience as before... hitting refresh everytime i navigate back out of a thread to see if anything updated because the view is stale (cached) is annoying and pretty easy to fix... (though you may have that behavior set up for performance reasons to reduce page hits on the server...)

-j
post #164 of 628 Old 06-12-2014, 01:56 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Can anyone tell me if huddler started a new forum somewhere? I don't care if it has nothing to do with AVS, I'll join because it was that good. I don't care if it's a knitting forum.....
post #165 of 628 Old 06-12-2014, 01:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by saprano View Post
No more custom titles under your name? And the picture attachments on threads is broken as it doesn't have any pics from the thread.

One has to buy that once free dealio

Makes one wonder if the "Classified" are affected by a Free User Account as well?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-06-12_155444.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	147.5 KB
ID:	111905  
post #166 of 628 Old 06-12-2014, 02:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Please see the trouble with existing links described in this post. It's a serious problem:

Philadelphia, PA - OTA
post #167 of 628 Old 06-12-2014, 02:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 430 Post(s)
Liked: 275
what happened to AVS
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bale.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	7.5 KB
ID:	111913  
post #168 of 628 Old 06-12-2014, 02:03 PM
Administrator

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 423 Post(s)
Liked: 360
Quote:
Like before Huddler, custom user titles are a perk for AVS Club members.

Mike Lang
Administrator
Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself.
Join the AVS Club and help support the site. Help Support AVS Forum Sponsors.
post #169 of 628 Old 06-12-2014, 02:04 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blasst View Post
Just went through this two years ago with the loss of the retro-skin until a thread was started on how to get most of it back. I hope that the retro-skin is coming back sooner than later for us long timers who have only ever used the retro-skin.......
Retro skin should be back next week.

Mike Lang
Administrator
Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself.
post #170 of 628 Old 06-12-2014, 02:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wilkinson View Post

AVS Forum relaunches on vBulletin! Learn what's new—or, more precisely, what's new again—now that AVS has gone back to its roots.

As you've no doubt noticed, AVS Forum has undergone a major transformation. For the last two years or so, AVS has operated using a proprietary software platform developed by the site's owner, Huddler. A few months ago, VerticalScope, a company that specializes in online forums, acquired AVS from Huddler. Since the Huddler platform is proprietary, we've had to move the site to another platform—in this case, a common forum platform called vBulletin (which AVS used before it was acquired by Huddler in 2011).

For those who have been members of AVS for more than three years—or who are members of other vBulletin-based forums (which is most of them)—the new user interface will be old hat. But for those who recently joined AVS and do not hang out on other vBulletin forums, here are some of the major differences you'll see:

- The editor used to enter and edit posts is now like the one used on other vBulletin-based forums.

- Graphics such as photos and screen shots can no longer be simply embedded in a post. They must now be uploaded and their URLs must be pasted into the post.

- Settings and preferences are now in User CP (control panel) rather than My Profile. This includes thread subscriptions.

- The search capabilities are more refined. For example, there is now a built-in Google search option, and you can easily find the threads you've started and comments you've posted by clicking on the magnifying-glass icon at the far right of the main nav bar.

- The main nav bar now includes Active Topics and New Posts tabs.

- Reviews and Articles are now normal threads that behave in the same way as other forum threads.

- Printable thread view is back, letting you print or download threads for reading offline.

Other changes are planned in the coming weeks, such as the return of the Retro skin and fully functional sticky threads, so watch for those.

Of course, it will take some time for everyone to get used to the changes, and there will be bumps in the road as we work out the kinks, so I hope you'll be patient and point out any problems you might encounter in the "welcome back" thread in the Forum Operations Center. But the forums will remain as lively and informative as ever, and we will continue to post professionally written editorial content from an industry-insider perspective.

So come on in, have a look around, and join over a million of your closest friends in the world's largest online community of audio/video enthusiasts. Welcome home!

Like AVS Forum on Facebook
Follow AVS Forum on Twitter
+1 AVS Forum on Google+
Retro look.
When something is good and it works ? don't fix it.
post #171 of 628 Old 06-12-2014, 02:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 177
Ugh I hate change!! Lol it's cool tho I'll get use to it.
post #172 of 628 Old 06-12-2014, 02:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woobieizer View Post
One has to buy that once free dealio

Makes one wonder if the "Classified" are affected by a Free User Account as well?
What the hell?

home theater addict
post #173 of 628 Old 06-12-2014, 02:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked: 205
Question

How do you not get email alerts when your post is quoted by someone?

The old forum had this as an option and I can't seem to find that option here.

post #174 of 628 Old 06-12-2014, 02:18 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyrob425 View Post
How do you not get email alerts when your post is quoted by someone?

The old forum had this as an option and I can't seem to find that option here.

usercp - user tagging settings

Mike Lang
Administrator
post #175 of 628 Old 06-12-2014, 02:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I don't remember there was a price with the first VB. I'm missing huddler more and more. Can you fix the subscriptions? I want it like before where it told you how many post were made since your last post.

home theater addict
post #176 of 628 Old 06-12-2014, 02:24 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm not able to space my post to a separate line? When i do that and post it still puts everything together. Also is notifications suppose to be for your messages or subscriptions? Right now it say 2 and when i click it it takes me to my subscriptions?

home theater addict
post #177 of 628 Old 06-12-2014, 02:25 PM
Administrator

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 281 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by frank70 View Post
Please see the trouble with existing links described in this post. It's a serious problem:

Philadelphia, PA - OTA
@frank70 I've asked Huddler to have a look at that thread, thanks for reporting it.

Mark
post #178 of 628 Old 06-12-2014, 02:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:
That's not true Mike,

I coined "Good Ole Copper Fan" in the days I posting to pre Huddler "How to build a UHF antenna..." after doing this project.

I was CLUB Free Status then as I am now, yet today with an inverted month/day birthday, and no custom title.

How to build a UHF antenna...
post #179 of 628 Old 06-12-2014, 02:28 PM

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 34
I use to get one daily e-mail that showed the new and updated threads on the 10 forums on AVS I subscribed to. Now I get 10 separate e-mails from each forum which is annoying. I couldn't find a setting to get back the old way so I ended up unsubscribing to all the forums. Is there a way to get back the old one e-mail update? If not I may end up just not keeping up with AVS which is sad.

Samsung 85" 4K, Dolby Atmos 7.1.4 with MartinLogan Theos, Stage, Motion 15, EM-R, Seaton Submersive F2, Denon AVR-X5200W
post #180 of 628 Old 06-12-2014, 02:30 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Quoted: 644 Post(s)
Liked: 383
Quote:
I'm not able to space my post to a separate line? When i do that and post it still puts everything together. Also is notifications suppose to be for your messages or subscriptions? Right now it say 2 and when i click it it takes me to my subscriptions?
This is line 1.

This is line 2.

-Bill
Reply Community News & Polls

Tags
<<. , frontpage , resolutions

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page