Forum Jump: 
 135Likes

post #211 of 617 Old 06-12-2014, 06:27 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 357
Can you remove the excessive amount of user info in the post panel? I don't care about seeing how many times someone has been mentioned, tagged or quoted etc. and in a lot of cases that information now creates a post box that is far larger than the actual content of the post. It's just wasting screen space.

Leave it in a user profile. If somebody is curious enough they can find it in a click.
rlindo, Keenan, 96fps and 1 others like this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #212 of 617 Old 06-12-2014, 06:44 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by VerticalScope View Post
This is actually to try and save phone bandwidth. We hide signatures on mobile so you don't get hundreds of kb of people's signatures on each page.

Mark

Are you paying my cell bill now? Initially I thought, "Hey that's really nice of you!" Then I got to thinking ..wait ...what???
sig's over cell should be polled for availability not just turned off.
Give us an option for this, it's not like we're sig'n huge avatars, or pictures, mostly hyperlinks. For the sake of comparison a lil smiley is 4.40KB

RedLefty likes this.

Last edited by Woobieizer; 06-12-2014 at 07:09 PM.
post #213 of 617 Old 06-12-2014, 07:00 PM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Sorry, I like the other platform better. So far, this is what I don't like:
  • vB doesn't let me know if there are unread (new) posts in a thread
  • vB limits your avatar size (I had a 500x500 avatar and now I'm limited to 240x240)
  • vB limits PM storage space
  • The new smilies scare me
  • Are you telling me I can't get rid of the floating active topics sidebar unless I become a AVS gold club member???
  • Are my albums gone?
Sorry. This is a step in the wrong direction. Nothing was wrong with the old platform.

HD Radio: An Audiophile's Worst Nightmare.
post #214 of 617 Old 06-12-2014, 07:08 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked: 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowdog 88 View Post
Sorry, I like the other platform better. So far, this is what I don't like:
[LIST][*]vB doesn't let me know if there are unread (new) posts in a thread
Sure it does.

Quote:
[*]Are you telling me I can't get rid of the floating active topics sidebar unless I become a AVS gold club member???
No, anyone can do it.

Quote:
Sorry. This is a step in the wrong direction. Nothing was wrong with the old platform.
Deja vu. Everyone said that when they went from VB to Huddler.

-Bill
post #215 of 617 Old 06-12-2014, 07:08 PM

Liked: 27
Aaacckkk! I really liked the old format, this is going to take some getting used to.

post #216 of 617 Old 06-12-2014, 07:10 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 357
Quote:
Nothing was wrong with the old platform.
Except that it was proprietary and belonged to Huddler. When AVS was owned by Huddler they could use it.

AVS is now owned by someone else so no matter how much you like the old platform it isn't coming back.

post #217 of 617 Old 06-12-2014, 07:22 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 272 Post(s)
Liked: 852
Quote:
. . . .The new smilies scare me. . . .
Nonsense. The Smilies are your Friend!

--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #218 of 617 Old 06-12-2014, 07:33 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
The problem is that the info about which threads should send you an email is stored with your Subscription to each thread.

So you go to User CP > Edit Options and set Default Thread Subscription Mode to "No Email Notification". OK, cool, that means any NEW Threads you Subscribe to won't send you an email.

However you now ALSO need to go to each Thread that is currently sending you emails and Unsubscribe / re-Subscribe to set that "No Email Notification" for that Thread.

Presumably this will only be necessary for Threads you have posted to since the site update and before setting "No Email Notification" above.
--Bob
It would have been nicer if the original settings were ported over to the new one. So the subscriptions I previously had where I was not receiving e-mail would have continued to not receive e-mail.

I'll adjust.

Denon AVR-3311, Sherbourn 7-350, Fusion Tempest (LCR), Fusion Alchemy (4xSurrounds),15" Dayton Ultimax X 4, SMX 2.35:1 Screen
Theater Build
DIY Speaker / Sub Build
post #219 of 617 Old 06-12-2014, 07:51 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 777
DIY sub versus JTR Captivator

Look at how terrible the new results are^

That's a joke!

What a complete and absolute detriment to AVS forum this new process for posting a picture is.

Poor dude spent an extra 15 minutes trying to figure out how to post pictures of his room and his stuff for some help- and that is the half -assed poor results he got.

The thread looks terrible. What a shame.

No one should have to click anything to see a picture, or go to school to learn how to post a pic. It should be simple.

Click a "picture" button- select picture from device- done.

This needs serious attention.
96fps likes this.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #220 of 617 Old 06-12-2014, 07:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: Sacramento delta N. Cal. US Don't trust any air I can't see ☺
Quoted: 473 Post(s)
Liked: 353
Works kinda like Audiokarma.com (AVS is V bulleten ) now . also , Not quite as bad as AK version though ! I did like AVS better B4 the change . Maybe it's more mobile friendly for the phone tards and pad tards though ☺
or more secure or both
I'm sure it will get better when we and it settle in

V bulletin isn't bad once you get used to it, decent functionality compared to some others just not what we are used to at least yet ? I've seen much worse out there ,

I'm sure it will be fine soon let's try not to beat the staff up too much lot's to do keeping a site of this size up and running under normal circumstances , they are probably very busy now ,we can figure it out and answer one anothers questions right here or start a new thread or maybe check for updated stickies . we are still the best regardless !

Hires Music formats ..............."Why does it sound like a CD ?" ............. "can we make it louder "?
"The wireless music box has no commercial value. Who would pay for a message sent to nobody in particular?"
- David Sarnoff's associates at RCA the 1920's -
post #221 of 617 Old 06-12-2014, 08:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Glad

I'm so glad you all changed back! I left AVS Forum because it had become so slow and unresponsive in every sense of the terms. I hope the new owners are more like those who established AVS, and not like those who put heavy ads (and their own cumbersome interface) above the user experience.

By some coincidence, I checked back on AVS today, after staying away more than a year. I used to read through the forums at least once a day - like Facebook. Maybe now I will again.
post #222 of 617 Old 06-12-2014, 08:11 PM

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post
DIY sub versus JTR Captivator

Look at how terrible the new results are^

That's a joke!

What a complete and absolute detriment to AVS forum this new process for posting a picture is.

Poor dude spent an extra 15 minutes trying to figure out how to post pictures of his room and his stuff for some help- and that is the half -assed poor results he got.

The thread looks terrible. What a shame.

No one should have to click anything to see a picture, or go to school to learn how to post a pic. It should be simple.

Click a "picture" button- select picture from device- done.

This needs serious attention.
Indeed. It's possible to get non-terrible image attachments, but it's quite a bit harder to do so than it should be. Here was my stream of consciousness thoughts as I was figuring out how to embed them: Test attachments There is no way it should be that hard.

That said, this is the first day out. I'm willing to give them a little breathing room to figure out how to do this right.
96fps likes this.
post #223 of 617 Old 06-12-2014, 08:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsrussell View Post
Misery loves company. I'm glad I'm not the only one that thinks this is a backward move. I rarely go to HomeTheaterShack because I don't like the cumbersome format. Really enjoyed AVS because one could see a lot of info at a glance, go to different forum types with an easy pull down menu and navigate very fast. I didn't need instructions for anything because it was intuitive and simple.

I will say one thing that I find is positive. I'll be spending a lot less time here than I use to. Maybe I can get more things done around the house now.
Wow. My experience was the opposite. The drop down menu in the pervious interface was squirrelly for me, and I could never get anywhere fast. I left AVS because of it and only came back today. Each to his own, I guess.
post #224 of 617 Old 06-12-2014, 08:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 677
i understand the changeover has gone through some testing before launch .. i really wonder who tested it and how much they where not looking at it, coz a lot of obvious things should have been there allready instead of people complaining about it now. imho it should have been completed first with old skin from before the change to huddler and the picture embedding and notification stuff and the editor from the last century could have been fixed before launching the new site to the public.

Klipsch RF-82-II 150W 33Hz-24KHz

Klipsch RC-64-II 200W 59Hz-24KHz

Klipsch RS-62-II 150W 50Hz-24KHz

Yamaha YST-SW800/1500 Subwoofers 1000W RMS 6 Ohm 18-170 hz

Yamaha RX-463 Amp 5x100W RMS

Monitor flatline 1.5mm pro wire

Samsung UE-ES8000S TV

PS3

post #225 of 617 Old 06-12-2014, 08:19 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I know how to do it right. I remember the old AVS. It's just pain. Way too hard.

You should not have to load an attachment and then use that to generate the URL and then use that. It's very hard to do and takes too many steps, especially on a cumbersome tablet or phone.

On my PC I can handle it because I am proficient, but even then it's hard. On the phone or tablet I just would skip the picture all together entirely. That's bad. Pictures make AVS good. The best threads have pictures.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #226 of 617 Old 06-12-2014, 08:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Picture uploading and posting in the body of a post rather than a thumbnail attachment
is more difficult now you have to know the trick to be sure but once you get used to it it's not too terrible although the old one was tits for sure !

If you already know how to do this on a vbulletin forum it is the same as the others

To Post a picture or image in the body of the message

goto manage attachments >chose file>upload file >
close window

RT click on attachment URL below body of message >open in new tab

Copy URL from new tab in address window > close new tab > open image icon in message tool bar >
paste into dialog box hit OK you are done

You can optionally goto manage attachments and remove attachment URL anytime after you post the image that way your post will only show an image in the body of the message rather than both the image and the attachment thumbnail .

I know it's many more steps to post an image but it is what is is

Hires Music formats ..............."Why does it sound like a CD ?" ............. "can we make it louder "?
"The wireless music box has no commercial value. Who would pay for a message sent to nobody in particular?"

Last edited by tubetwister; 06-12-2014 at 08:39 PM.
post #227 of 617 Old 06-12-2014, 08:37 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff in Canada View Post
It would have been nicer if the original settings were ported over to the new one. So the subscriptions I previously had where I was not receiving e-mail would have continued to not receive e-mail.

I'll adjust.
Agreed. The problem was that there was a period after the new site came live when the default setting when you posted to a thread was to Subscribe with Email Notification. They fixed that pretty fast, but not before some damage was done.
--Bob
post #228 of 617 Old 06-12-2014, 08:38 PM
AVS Addicted Member

The point is that it doesn't have to suck.

The way it is now will detract and deter posters from posting pictures. That makes AVS worse and threads worse.

In today's modern tech posting a picture should be easy and simple and work without much fuss. If the majority can't grasp it automatically it sucks and should be improved.
post #229 of 617 Old 06-12-2014, 08:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Has there been any luck in fixing our personal gallery that we had before the change? If we have to re-do, just need to know (lot of work, so rather not re-do if I don't have to).

Thanks!
Ray

Ray

"Listen with an open heart and mind."

post #230 of 617 Old 06-12-2014, 08:58 PM
Read the FAQ!

^ I haven't looked. What's wrong with your Gallery?

All existing Images were supposed to be ported over to the new site.
--Bob
post #231 of 617 Old 06-12-2014, 10:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
^ I haven't looked. What's wrong with your Gallery?

All existing Images were supposed to be ported over to the new site.
--Bob
Hi Bob,

I had a LOT of images with captions on my profile before (under the 'lists'). They were very organized per room. I also had many extra images of equipment, room, etc. None of them transferred. There is only one image in 'My Gallery'. Not upset, just wondering where they are and if they are recoverable or just gone. If gone, I can just re-create them on another site and add links in my signature (I'm just hoping I don't have to re-do all of them again, but will if it's the case).

Thanks,
Ray

Ray

"Listen with an open heart and mind."

post #232 of 617 Old 06-12-2014, 10:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 33
If the back button is not fixed.......I will not be using this site nearly as much...........simply unusable.
post #233 of 617 Old 06-12-2014, 10:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post
The point is that it doesn't have to suck.

The way it is now will detract and deter posters from posting pictures. That makes AVS worse and threads worse.

In today's modern tech posting a picture should be easy and simple and work without much fuss. If the majority can't grasp it automatically it sucks and should be improved.
Yes posting a picture was way cool on the last design that's no lie !
True one might think twice about posting an image with the vbulletin procedure .......... you think vbulliten did that on purpose to conserve server storage ,memory ,........ or just because of ineptitude?

It's second nature for me after all these years also but ....
.......TBH I would have thought vbulletin would have made it a little easier after all these years also.

Last edited by tubetwister; 06-12-2014 at 11:38 PM.
post #234 of 617 Old 06-12-2014, 11:39 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 333 Post(s)
Liked: 522
My tendency has always been to upload to Photobucket and link to that.

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
post #235 of 617 Old 06-12-2014, 11:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked: 354
In hopes this is seen by the powers that be, I'm posting it in this thread too...

Man, what a nightmare. I've been on the desktop version of the site only a dozen times or so since joining avs. I exclusively use the mobile version since I'm so rarely at a computer, I can't be the only one. When I first joined, there was a great app...then we changed to huddler. I had to use the inferior tapatalk app until the mobile version was finally completed. THAT mobile version was excellent. THIS mobile version is worse than trying to read the desktop version on my phone.
Where's the post count?
Where's the ability to multiquote?
Where's the icon to tap for adding pics in the quick reply?
The convoluted way of postings pics is absurd. There's no reason I should have to add anything to a URL to make it work.
Where's the thumbs up?
Where's the ability to search within the classifieds?

All these things should be at your fingertips for simple selection. I haven't been at a computer to try the desktop version, but I've heard the complaints. As bad as they sound, the mobile version is 10x worse because these options have been completely removed. Go find a huddler site (if they still exist) and copy their mobile version. THAT'S how a user friendly mobile version is supposed to work.
Guess I'm off to tapatalk, 👎
post #236 of 617 Old 06-13-2014, 12:46 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 77
This whole thing reminds me of the bad old days when Ronnie was in the White House, Nancy was just saying no to drugs, and we had Radio Shack TRS-80 computers with 8 inch floppy drives running DOS. We upgraded to 286sx computers with ONE MEGABITE Hard Drives running Wordperfect and you had to meticulously enter all the hidden format codes in front and behind any text you wanted to highlight.

What happened to the "Science" in Audio Video Science?
post #237 of 617 Old 06-13-2014, 12:50 AM
Advanced Member

post #238 of 617 Old 06-13-2014, 01:03 AM
Advanced Member

Logged IN one goes to last post.

I would like to see the URL in OFFLINE mode direct to the same last post. Yet here we go to first post.. (I dont mean go to my last viewed logged in spot.. I mean go to last Post of the thread.)

summary whether a user is logged in or not, clicking on the Chevron takes a user to the last post in thread. Hence the ending of the URL of a thread ends with the magic of
-new-post.html
post #239 of 617 Old 06-13-2014, 04:05 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked: 341
Spoiler text display is center aligned now, which is not necessary and sometimes very weird, as when the spoiler contains a bullet list.

Example: The Ongoing "Name That Movie" Contest

Plain left-aligned would be fine.

-Bill
post #240 of 617 Old 06-13-2014, 05:07 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 58
You have to switch to desktop mode in order to be able to collapse sections, no way to do it in mobile mode.

Bill
Reply Community News & Polls

Tags
<<. , frontpage , resolutions

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page