AVS Forum

AVS Forum (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/)
-   Community News & Polls (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/92-community-news-polls/)
-   -   What Was Old is New Again at AVS Forum (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/92-community-news-polls/1562889-what-old-new-again-avs-forum.html)

Scott Wilkinson 06-11-2014 09:00 PM

What Was Old is New Again at AVS Forum

http://i62.tinypic.com/2vl0a49.jpg
AVS Forum relaunches on vBulletin! Learn what's new—or, more precisely, what's new again—now that AVS has gone back to its roots.

As you've no doubt noticed, AVS Forum has undergone a major transformation. For the last two years or so, AVS has operated using a proprietary software platform developed by the site's owner, Huddler. A few months ago, VerticalScope, a company that specializes in online forums, acquired AVS from Huddler. Since the Huddler platform is proprietary, we've had to move the site to another platform—in this case, a common forum platform called vBulletin (which AVS used before it was acquired by Huddler in 2011).

For those who have been members of AVS for more than three years—or who are members of other vBulletin-based forums (which is most of them)—the new user interface will be old hat. But for those who recently joined AVS and do not hang out on other vBulletin forums, here are some of the major differences you'll see:

- The editor used to enter and edit posts is now like the one used on other vBulletin-based forums.

- Graphics such as photos and screen shots can no longer be simply embedded in a post. They must now be uploaded and their URLs must be pasted into the post.

- Settings and preferences are now in User CP (control panel) rather than My Profile. This includes thread subscriptions.

- The search capabilities are more refined. For example, there is now a built-in Google search option, and you can easily find the threads you've started and comments you've posted by clicking on the magnifying-glass icon at the far right of the main nav bar.

- The main nav bar now includes Active Topics and New Posts tabs.

- Reviews and Articles are now normal threads that behave in the same way as other forum threads.

- Printable thread view is back, letting you print or download threads for reading offline.

Other changes are planned in the coming weeks, such as the return of the Retro skin and fully functional sticky threads, so watch for those.

Of course, it will take some time for everyone to get used to the changes, and there will be bumps in the road as we work out the kinks, so I hope you'll be patient and point out any problems you might encounter in the "welcome back" thread in the Forum Operations Center. But the forums will remain as lively and informative as ever, and we will continue to post professionally written editorial content from an industry-insider perspective.

So come on in, have a look around, and join over a million of your closest friends in the world's largest online community of audio/video enthusiasts. Welcome home!

Like AVS Forum on Facebook
Follow AVS Forum on Twitter
+1 AVS Forum on Google+

DeadEd 06-11-2014 09:10 PM

Thanks for the heads-up

Schwa 06-11-2014 09:10 PM

Scott-

Access to the "Welcome Back" thread that you linked to has evidently been removed, at least for me. I don't think I did anything ban-worthy, though, although I had posted some suggestions. Since that thread is apparently now gone, where should be go to report bugs and post requests?

Thanks!

rdclark 06-11-2014 09:13 PM

I'm desperately seeking the "see threads to which you've posted" functionality (which formerly could be easily accessed via a simple mouse-over of the "Forums" header).

Joe Bloggs 06-11-2014 09:17 PM

When I click on the link in the post to the "welcome back" thread, it says "you do not have permission to access this page".

Schwa 06-11-2014 09:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe Bloggs (Post 24889881)
When I click on the link in the post to the "welcome back" thread, it says "you do not have permission to access this page".

I think we already swamped them with so many bitches/gripes/complaints that they had to take it down to catch up. ;)

Woo hoo, "Likes" (the old "Thumbs Up") are already back though...they're listening!

sebberry 06-11-2014 09:22 PM

Interesting turn of events. I was initially critical of the Huddler platform and it was missing many features frequently used by members.

Nice to have the site back on vB.

Who owns the site now? I know the ownership was retained while on Huddler. Does VS own it now?

Schwa 06-11-2014 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rdclark (Post 24889785)
I'm desperately seeking the "see threads to which you've posted" functionality (which formerly could be easily accessed via a simple mouse-over of the "Forums" header).

Tools - My Posts might get you part of the way there.

Schwa 06-11-2014 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sebberry (Post 24889969)
Does VS own it now?

Yup.

Bombelman 06-11-2014 09:27 PM

1 Attachment(s)
"- Graphics such as photos and screen shots can no longer be simply embedded in a post. They must now be uploaded and their URLs must be pasted into the post."

or attached

VerticalScope 06-11-2014 09:29 PM

Quote:

Click your username and in the drop down there should be a more posts by user button. This should do the trick.

VerticalScope 06-11-2014 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Schwa (Post 24889929)
I think we already swamped them with so many bitches/gripes/complaints that they had to take it down to catch up. ;)

Woo hoo, "Likes" (the old "Thumbs Up") are already back though...they're listening!

We are listening! keep the reports coming and we will do our best to get to them as we can.

Scott Wilkinson 06-11-2014 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Schwa (Post 24889705)
Scott-

Access to the "Welcome Back" thread that you linked to has evidently been removed, at least for me. I don't think I did anything ban-worthy, though, although I had posted some suggestions. Since that thread is apparently now gone, where should be go to report bugs and post requests?

Thanks!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe Bloggs (Post 24889881)

Hmm, the same thing happens to me now! Must be a bug that I'm sure will be fixed.

VerticalScope 06-11-2014 09:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott Wilkinson (Post 24890633)
Hmm, the same thing happens to me now! Must be a bug that I'm sure will be fixed.

Yep, just a permission issue (we thought that area was closed off on the old platform). We'll have a look.

Mark

jbrown15 06-11-2014 10:12 PM

One of the things that I loved about AVS compared to other forums was how easy it was to upload pictures. Now sadly AVS is just like all of the other forums, I hate posting pictures having to use a host site! :(

Mike Lang 06-11-2014 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbrown15 (Post 24891329)
One of the things that I loved about AVS compared to other forums was how easy it was to upload pictures. Now sadly AVS is just like all of the other forums, I hate posting pictures having to use a host site! :(

You don't actually have to do that. You can attach it and then wrap the attachment's URL in [IMG] [/IMG] tags to embed it without the need to use an outside hosting site.

Bill Ball 06-11-2014 10:23 PM

The LAST POST column seems now very handicapped. It used to show a preview, date and time, and direct link to the last post in each thread. It no longer does at the forum level.

On the general forums listing page, it still works as before, but once you enter a specific forum it's completely handicapped at the thread level. It shows a link to an author's profile and a caret that seems to take you to some midpoint in the thread posting history - not even the last page - perhaps where you last read. There is no preview, or direct link to the last post.

This was a quick way to see if a thread had been updated since my last visit by scanning the LAST POST previews and then clicking on it if I wanted to view the last post. No longer.

jbrown15 06-11-2014 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Lang (Post 24891393)
You don't actually have to do that. You can attach it and then wrap the attachment's URL in [IMG] [/IMG] tags to embed it without the need to use an outside hosting site.

Sorry Mike, I'm not the most tech savy guy. So how exactly do I do that? When very I click on the "insert image" the script prompt pops.

I also really liked being able to see when someone would post a new reply.

Mike Lang 06-11-2014 10:27 PM

1 Attachment(s)
So this image is on my PC. I attach it to this post and it now has its own URL. I then paste that URL between img tags and I get...

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/attach...1&d=1402550849

Keenan 06-11-2014 10:31 PM

What's with the big block of empty space on the right side?

crazyrob425 06-11-2014 10:31 PM

Quote:

x2

I use to be able to click my username and easily see the threads i posted in and if people have replied to them since i checked that thread last. Browsing the site was so much easier and more user friendly. Now I can see my past posts by clicking more pages (means more ad views so more ad revenue for AVS crew i guess) and its not clear if people have replied since i visited that thread last
Quote:

Originally Posted by VerticalScope (Post 24890185)
Click your username and in the drop down there should be a more posts by user button. This should do the trick.

Yeah its no where near the same as explained above.

Addittionally the removal of the "thread starter" next throughout the OP's further posts was very helpful to making sure the OP specifically gets the advice he needs.
-------------------------------------------------------------------
I fear this update will get me taking a break from this forum much like the removal of the dedicated forum iPhone app did for me back in 2010-2011ish

pdxrealtor 06-11-2014 10:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbrown15 (Post 24891489)
Sorry Mike, I'm not the most tech savy guy. So how exactly do I do that? When very I click on the "insert image" the script prompt pops.

I also really liked being able to see when someone would post a new reply.

Both those features are available, and have been for years, in the VB software. It is just a matter of time until photo uploading, management, and live thread updates are implemented. ;)

Mike Lang 06-11-2014 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keenan (Post 24891641)
What's with the big block of empty space on the right side?

Just as before, Gold Club members have the option to disable the side bar. Usercp- edit your details-scroll down. :cool:

jbrown15 06-11-2014 10:37 PM

How do I get the URL for pictures that I already have on my computer?

I hate this already, I use to be able to do things fairly easily on the old site. Now I feel like a total noob!....lol

I feel like a 5yr old kicking and screaming saying that "I hate this"....lol

jbrown15 06-11-2014 10:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Lang (Post 24891737)
Just as before, Gold Club members have the option to disable the side bar. Usercp- edit your details-scroll down. :cool:

Gold members do but not AVS club members even though I paid for that membership too?

Keenan 06-11-2014 10:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Lang (Post 24891737)

Got it, thanks!

Joe Bloggs 06-11-2014 10:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Lang (Post 24891393)

Will we have lost any embedded images from posts that were embedded (where the image wasn't hosted somewhere else) when we were on the huddler platform?

cchunter 06-11-2014 10:43 PM

What was old should have stayed old at the AVS Forum. Change can be good but this isn't better IMO. Tell you what at this point I'll pay you $25 to convert back to the OLD format. :D

Mike Lang 06-11-2014 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe Bloggs (Post 24891857)
Will we have lost any embedded images from posts that were embedded when we were on the huddler platform?

No, they're all still there.

Bill Ball 06-11-2014 10:45 PM

Mike: Please see my post #17 . I had some trouble editing it and it may have been blank earlier as you read through this thread.