What Device(s) Do You Use to Stream Video? - Page 2 - AVS Forum
View Poll Results: What Device(s) Do You Use to Stream Video?
Blu-ray player 152 36.45%
Computer 162 38.85%
Dedicated box (e.g., Roku, Apple TV) 204 48.92%
Game console (e.g., PlayStation, Xbox) 141 33.81%
Streaming stick (e.g., Chromecast, Roku Stick) 50 11.99%
TV 85 20.38%
Other 34 8.15%
I don't stream video 35 8.39%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 417. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 
 11Likes

post #31 of 57 Old 06-13-2014, 02:34 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icon13 View Post
My trusty 56k modem!
WINNING!

While some may poo-pooh streaming, it's allowed me to catch up on TV series I never got into when they were on TV - recently 'The Unit' and '24' have been served up courtesy of Amazon and have been at good audio and visual quality.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 57 Old 06-13-2014, 04:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 118
My main devices are Roku boxes.

I also use laptops and smartphones.

Occassionally a Blu Ray Player.

I just got a Streaming Stick!

Vizio VP322 Plasma / Vizio GV42LF LCD / Denon 2200 Silicon Image DVD / Panasonic S97 Faroudja Genesis DVD / Oppo 970HD Mediatek DVD / Oppo 983H Anchor Bay DVD / Panasonic LX-600 Laserdisc / Aiwa MX100 Multi-region VCR / JVC S7600 S-VHS / PS2 / Sega Genesis / Nintendo SNES / Roku 2 XS & HD-XR / Realistic STA-90 Reciever / Realistic Minimus 7 / Antennacraft G1483 Hoverman / Belden 7915A RG6 / Channel Master 7777 Titan 2 UHF/VHF / Panasonic AX-200u / Optoma Graywolf 92" / Draper Luma 92"
post #33 of 57 Old 06-13-2014, 05:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 243
Blu-ray player, Roku 2 XS, a Chromecast and PC. I checked "other" since I use my Android phone to stream from my Plex server when I'm not at home.
post #34 of 57 Old 06-13-2014, 07:16 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Roku 2 XS - Netflix, Vudu, Plex server, etc.
Computer - Netflix Win8 app, HBO GO, Comcast subscription movies (not VOD).
post #35 of 57 Old 06-13-2014, 07:34 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
We watch everything through the Apple TV. Internet video from Twit, Revision3, netflix etc. Also we watch local blurry rips, home video, and local recordings via antenna and recorded by software on a linux box. This local video is played via an iOS app using airplay.

The dvr recordings and the iOS app are my own software I've written over the last few years. It's a sweet setup.

Last edited by djb61230; 06-13-2014 at 07:38 PM.
post #36 of 57 Old 06-13-2014, 10:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 128
My primary streaming device is my Vizio "Smart TV", which handles Netflix pretty well and its streams were dramatically improved by the Netflix/Comcast agreement.

I use the PC for streaming an occasional really old movie that I find on YouTube that isn't available on Netflix (or if Netflix has it, it is on disc with a very long wait).

I used to stream to my first-generation Roku, but when there were streaming throughput issues for Netflix, that Roku got demoted to where it is just used for rare streaming of one of the free channels. Eventually I plan to replace the Roku with the current model, but the need/cost tradeoff for replacing it just hadn't been there since I purchased the Vizio "Smart TV".

My very humble setup:
Man Cave:Vizio E500i-A1 "Smart TV" (50-in 1080p 120Hz LED/LCD, has Netflix app.), Blu-ray players (Sony BDP-S3100, old LG BD390), Roku (the original model: N1000), PC (Windows 7), Comcast Internet (25Mbps/5Mbps).
Bedroom:LG 32LV3400-UA TV (32-in 768p 60Hz LED/LCD), HD DVR (Motorola RNG200N), Xfinity Comcast cable (Digital Starter Package), DVD/VHS player.
post #37 of 57 Old 06-13-2014, 11:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: Sacramento delta N. Cal. US Don't trust any air I can't see ☺
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 600 Post(s)
Liked: 377
2 ROKU 2's, PS3 , 2 win 7 x64 PC 's with HD video

Hires Music formats ..............."Why does it sound like a CD ?" ............. can we make it louder "?
"The wireless music box has no commercial value. Who would pay for a message sent to nobody in particular?"
- David Sarnoff's associates at RCA the 1920's -
post #38 of 57 Old 06-14-2014, 09:49 AM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 58
I stream with an Oppo 103, PS3 (fat), Roku in the bedroom and Galaxy S3 at work (for Netflix). But with that said, I don't stream often.

post #39 of 57 Old 06-15-2014, 08:37 AM

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 54
I tried with a very good attitude: Netfilx, and the Roku stick with my Oppo 103. It was the content that turned me off to it! Roku claims it's mostly free, when if you add up everything worth paying for-it's more than sat, or cable TV!
I like old TV shows. I tried to watch old Dragnet shows free, but had to endure the same ad repeat itself over and over, until I sent the thing back for a refund.
The worse show was the -orange-new black show. I sat though about 8 episodes trying to 'get" it. but it just seemed a reject of HBO or Showtime.
I just don't get it. And, I suppose I never will, understand why. The main providers offer ****-why do people think streaming is better? It's worse content! (My opinion-attack me if you want)
post #40 of 57 Old 06-15-2014, 02:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Thing about Roku is it's mostly good for Netflix and Amazon prime subscribers (I'm both) or VUDU users ,most other digital rentals and cord cutters

I'm with ya on the Orange and Black thing YUK ,one episode was all it took to convince me not to watch it .

OTOH House of Cards (USA ) version on Netflix is pretty good they have lots's of other cool stuff also takes time (long time ) to find it and populate your watchlist. ofc it's better to do that task on a PC .then watch on the ROKU ........or whatever device .
You can "Watch virtually any video on the Internet on your Roku with PlayCast My PC's are on the LAN here and the TV's are all connected to the Lan as well 2 TV's are directly connected to PC's the other sets wif fi .

There is some OK free stuff like PBS,WSJ,Bloomberg and the Smithsonian channel,You Tube and a few others lots of good comedy channels all free but the majority of the free stuff is crap no different from regular SAT/CATV
out of ~250 Dish channels here maybe 15 are watchable
the rest is crap content so you need all the different venus
so after you sort through the crap you have more than 10 or 15 channels to choose from .

For the old shows you need to subscribe to Hulu Plus on Roku or just stream free Hulu from a PC you know you can do that with a Roku ? for 49-99 bucks it's not really a bad deal at all .

The Oppo's very nice and all ,quality unit but there are a few things it can't do not many though.

I have 2 Roku in the house and a PS3 on the Plasma for streaming or playing BD at or near reference quality .
I'm sure the Oppo can do that also but I can play driving sims and rob and pillage in GT V , and play COD B.O. on the PS3 ☺.

Hires Music formats ..............."Why does it sound like a CD ?" ............. can we make it louder "?
"The wireless music box has no commercial value. Who would pay for a message sent to nobody in particular?"

Last edited by tubetwister; 06-15-2014 at 03:20 PM.
post #41 of 57 Old 06-16-2014, 09:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 28
AppleTV for Netflix and iTunes video.
post #42 of 57 Old 06-16-2014, 10:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wilkinson View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peterc613 View Post
Does Video on Demand from FIOS, TWC, Comcast, Dish or Direct TV count as "streaming video"?
That's not what I'm asking about in this poll.
Well, since the VOD I get from DirecTV is actually streaming video, I'm going to count it.
  • DirecTV VOD
  • DirecTV youtube app and Samsung TV youtube app
  • Amazon Fire TV
  • PS3 VOD
  • blu-ray player VOD
  • Samsung TV Amazon Prime and HBO-GO
tubetwister likes this.

Greg Lee
post #43 of 57 Old 06-16-2014, 01:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregLee View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wilkinson View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peterc613 View Post
Does Video on Demand from FIOS, TWC, Comcast, Dish or Direct TV count as "streaming video"?
That's not what I'm asking about in this poll.
Well, since the VOD I get from DirecTV is actually streaming video, I'm going to count it.
  • DirecTV VOD
  • DirecTV youtube app and Samsung TV youtube app
  • Amazon Fire TV
  • PS3 VOD
  • blu-ray player VOD
  • Samsung TV Amazon Prime and HBO-GO
EDIT update : Greg Lee is correct DTV VOD can either be IP live stream or download depending on your choice I imagine his DVR would count on the "other"line if one uses that feature .

OTOH I don't live stream at all with my Dish DVR so I did not count it.

Last edited by tubetwister; 06-17-2014 at 11:37 PM.
post #44 of 57 Old 06-16-2014, 01:25 PM

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 22
My most used streaming device is a Wii U game console. It does Amazon and Netflix in HD and doesn't take up much space.

I also have an HTPC (small silent box based on an NVidia Jetson board), and a BluRay player that I only use for disks and Vudu. The TV in the basement has a Chromecast.

Generally I prefer BluRay for movies, but for TV series I stream. Buying series on disk takes up too much space, and the production quality isn't always good enough to need BluRay. I don't have traditional TV reception BTW. I haven't even bothered to hook up an antenna so the clock on my TV will set itself...
post #45 of 57 Old 06-16-2014, 01:34 PM

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubetwister View Post
VOD is SAT/CATV VOD Direct TV ) is digital retransmission /transmission ) rather than IP (internet protocol) in which case it would not be considered web streaming although they usually use IP to authorise subscriber access.

OTOH everything else listed above would be using IP and thus are web streams.
I think we were talking about devices used
in your case a TV, BD player ,PS3, AFTV,
Also, VOD on satellite isn't always streamed at all. Half the hard drive on DVR boxes is set aside, and popular VOD titles are stored there ahead of time. So if you rent a new release, it will often just play straight from the hard drive. Other titles will "stream" over satellite bandwidth, but aren't point-to-point (they are received by multiple subscribers), so I wouldn't consider that streaming in the internet sense.
post #46 of 57 Old 06-16-2014, 03:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Direct TV VOD is digital (retransmission /transmission ) rather than IP (internet protocol) ..
No, it isn't. It's delivered by IP. It's called "On Demand" by DirecTV. There is another service called "DirecTV Cinema" that you seem to be referring to. Here is a descriptive blurb for "On Demand" from DirecTV: http://www.directv.com/technology/on_demand?ACM=false

Greg Lee
post #47 of 57 Old 06-16-2014, 09:41 PM
AVS Special Member

barleyguy wrote ,

Quote:
Also, VOD on satellite isn't always streamed at all. Half the hard drive on DVR boxes is set aside, and popular VOD titles are stored there ahead of time. So if you rent a new release, it will often just play straight from the hard drive. Other titles will "stream" over satellite bandwidth, but aren't point-to-point (they are received by multiple subscribers), so I wouldn't consider that streaming in the internet sense.
RE/tubetwister
That's interesting I didn't know that . that all makes makes perfect sense though .
I have dish but never use VOD,PPV just my channels. I can always find PPV sports on the web free and stream them to the TV and use ROKU/PS3 for Amazon Netflix etc ☺

What about STB without Hdd ? W/ no local local storage
out of luck or no ? or could it transmit Via SAT.
I see they have overnight download service to DVR via sat for VOD without internet

What you said above makes sense though .

I was always under the assumption that VOD/PPV Channels/movies were satellite transmissions ?
but that DTV on demand studio content (movies ) were IP transmission rolling (buffered ) downloads .

EDIT : this was true at one time but no longer holds true
DTV VOD is live stream or download depending on what you choose

Originally Posted by tubetwister

quote:
Edit quote removed it was incorrect.

GregLee wrote ,
Quote:

No, it isn't. It's delivered by IP. It's called "On Demand" by DirecTV. There is another service called "DirecTV Cinema" that you seem to be referring to. Here is a descriptive blurb for "On Demand" from DirecTV: http://www.directv.com/technology/on_demand?ACM=false

RE/tubetwister
Edit : update my reply was incorrect and removed Gregg Lee is correct.

Last edited by tubetwister; 06-17-2014 at 09:56 PM.
post #48 of 57 Old 06-17-2014, 12:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Originally Posted by Peterc613
Quote:
DirecTV VOD
EDIT update yes DTV VOD can live stream or download depending on which you choose . Greg Lee straightened me out on that ☺.

Last edited by tubetwister; 06-17-2014 at 09:48 PM.
post #49 of 57 Old 06-17-2014, 05:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Direct TV On Demand and DTV Cinema it seems are download (to DVD hdd) not a stream (2 different things ) and will only play when the download is partially complete. and can be stored on your DVR .
Wrong again. With D* On Demand, you're offered a choice whether to download or watch right away. If you choose to watch right away, it streams. Streams.

How can you be so sure you're right, when you obviously know nothing about it? I've subscribed to D* since 2007, and I've used their streaming service many times.

Greg Lee
post #50 of 57 Old 06-17-2014, 08:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Wrong again. With D* On Demand, you're offered a choice whether to download or watch right away. If you choose to watch right away, it streams. Streams.

How can you be so sure you're right, when you obviously know nothing about it? I've subscribed to D* since 2007, and I've used their streaming service many times.
Good for you on being a long time DTV customer .You seem to be mostly right ,Yes it seems VOD now gives you a choice of live streaming OR file download to hdd for later playback .

Unfortunately DTV still hasn't updated parts of the Website to clarify that and did not mention the changes on the page I was on but still referred to VOD as being a download only but with a storage or playback option (after partial download ) so yes I was wrong to believe that DTV webpage it seems . Not surprising none of the service providers are very informative on what's under the hood .

EDIT : In any event I was finally able to find out how the DTV live stream works (in spite of their website ☺) you were right all along

Last edited by tubetwister; 06-17-2014 at 10:09 PM.
post #51 of 57 Old 06-17-2014, 09:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
In any event I was able to find that out just now without much difficulty or a DTV subscription.
I suppose the fact that I had just pointed out to you that D* On Demand gives the options of streaming or download made it easier for you to discover this. At any rate, I guess we're finally clear now that D* does stream videos, as I said previously. Right?

Greg Lee
post #52 of 57 Old 06-17-2014, 09:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I suppose the fact that I had just pointed out to you that D* On Demand gives the options of streaming or download made it easier for you to discover this. At any rate, I guess we're finally clear now that D* does stream videos, as I said previously. Right?
TBH bottom line is you were right and I was wrong. Yes I think I finally got now you can live stream VOD I should have checked my info B4 posting at least I learned something My post might have been correct at one time (according to DTV on the page I was unlucky enough to land on ☺) but no longer holds true at least I learned something . .
How is the 1080p live stream as opposed to say netflix ? Dish has a similar option I believe . ofc I'll have to check it out here .

Hate to admit ,I'm glad you pointed out another of my mistakes on this subject I will correct my previous posts .
best regards .

Last edited by tubetwister; 06-17-2014 at 10:12 PM.
post #53 of 57 Old 06-17-2014, 10:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
How is the 1080p live stream as opposed to say netflix ? Dish has a similar option I believe . ofc I'll have to check it out here .
I don't know whether D* has 1080p streaming. I only ever got one 1080p/24 video from them, as a download, and that was just a demonstration. Maybe some pay-per-view 1080p is available. Essentially all of D* package HD is 1080i or 720p.
I don't subscribe to Netflix. D* 1080i videos are better quality than the few Amazon Fire videos I've seen.

Greg Lee
post #54 of 57 Old 06-17-2014, 10:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Some of the Netflix Super HD and 1080P videos are fine (for streaming ) others not so good occasionally it varies I'm in the bay area not far from Netflix ~60 mi . maybe that helps . PS3 and ROKU seem to stream it well some other devices and some TV's maybe not so good . from what I've read here at AVS anyway. PS3 streams everything well and has good video processing to the TV it's the best streamer here anyway .ofc it has a lot more hardware than a Roku's broadcom SoC . Roku does OK though .

Amazon HD is pretty decent even their SD isn't bad usually I can't complain about it ,even works well on Roku .

I think all the premium PPV content on Dish is 1080p maybe some of it is 1080p/24
I don't know about DTV. (ofc I know that now ☺)

Dish has regular PPV ,Dish Cinema ,Dish on demand
and Blockbuster at home .

I'm not sure which are live streams and which are downloads or sat trans. I never use them .
It's probably like Direct TV though I don't think anyone has invented a new wheel yet here.

I use Dish TV , OTA, then Netflix And Amazon Prime to stream and Red Box for discs .and have some .ISO rips on hdd's
I use PS3,2 Roku,2PC's for streaming .

Dish PPV ,DOD.etc is more money than Amazon Digital rentals also a lot of free content is included with a Prime membership .Between Netflix and Amazon prime I have
500 or so movies on watch lists so I'm covered
also Amazon prime gives you more time to watch a digital rental than most and you can play it as many times as you want within that window . I don't know about Dish and it's painfully obvious I know even less about DTV these days ☺

I used to have Dish they were fine but the service was slow to get out to the home back then .

I think the newer equipment and dishes and whatever satellites thay are using these days may be more reliable now though, it is with dish. at least on the western arc.
regards

Last edited by tubetwister; 06-18-2014 at 03:26 AM.
post #55 of 57 Old 06-18-2014, 07:10 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I stream locally from an NAS which hosts my video library and runs DVR software for my outdoor antenna to two Raspberry Pis running XBMC.
post #56 of 57 Old 06-18-2014, 11:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjmcmahon67 View Post
WINNING!

While some may poo-pooh streaming, it's allowed me to catch up on TV series I never got into when they were on TV - recently 'The Unit' and '24' have been served up courtesy of Amazon and have been at good audio and visual quality.
Streaming is fine just not *as good *as Blue Rays . I use it frequently it's better than it used to be .I also use Dish TV,OTA Netflix HD ,Amazon Prime HD ,Red Box for solid BD/DVD rentals and I use .ISO rips . I upscale DVD's to 1080p
w PS3 or PC 's with discrete video card before they hit the TV some of them are real decent that way .

My biggest screen here is 60" the other 4 are 3 - 40" and one 42" I'm not so sure streaming would be so good on a larger TV over 65" or FP big screen set up .

ofc 1080p streaming is somewhat bit starved ,compressed and bit shaped so it's never going to match a
BD.although on other than dark scenes and dark or grey backgrounds it's not bad and usually quite watchable overall . OTOH I'm not a hard core videophile just and enthusiast .

TBH most times if AAT U Verse ,Netflix (or whomever ), the CDN's and and the internet bandwidth gods are all cooperating and the original content is good I don't feel compromised in a major way streaming as opposed to the occasional BD rental or purchase here but to me BD's are
clearly better. that being said don't let anyone knock what you watch (plenty of us here stream also ) just don't try to say streaming literally can match a BD you will go down in flames !

I think where some of us take exception is when someone says a stream is as good as a BD
(trust me you don't want to go there .) but streaming is often *good enough * for a lot of folks and it will probably get better with HEVEC soon.

Mark Henninger AKA Majic did an excellent comparison of Skyfall on iTunes and Vudu. and Blue Ray using a PS3

You can read more here as usual for Mark it is a very good read http://www.avsforum.com/t/1458077/a-...du-and-blu-ray

Last edited by tubetwister; 06-18-2014 at 11:58 AM.
post #57 of 57 Old 06-18-2014, 12:05 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I stream to 2 Samsung F6300 series TV's. Stream sources are either Amazon Instant Video (catching up on TV series I liked and/or missed) or Plex Media Server running on an old PC with a NAS for storage. All my DVD/Blu Rays are on the server now and the Blu Ray player is in a plastic bag in the closet.

I have an iPad but don't stream from Amazon or the Plex to it, but will sometimes use the Time Warner Cable app to stream some live TV to the pad (a bit of World Cup action or maybe news) if I'm away from the TV rooms but want to see something.
Reply Community News & Polls

Tags
frontpage , Polls

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page