How Well Can You Control Ambient Daylight In Your Home Theater? - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
View Poll Results: How Well Can You Control Ambient Daylight In Your Home Theater?
I have total control; I can make it pitch black by day 157 42.78%
I have partial control, but I can't make it completely dark 186 50.68%
I have no control of daylight in the room 24 6.54%
Voters: 367. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 
 19Likes

post #61 of 82 Old 08-28-2014, 10:18 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked: 77
I finally black out the storage door next to the front wall and the windows at the rest area behind the theater.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	5.  Final Look.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	73.8 KB
ID:	233601   Click image for larger version

Name:	7d  Blinds are fully down.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	116.7 KB
ID:	233609   Click image for larger version

Name:	5i, Green blind fully down (2nd Black out layer).jpg
Views:	145
Size:	112.0 KB
ID:	233617   Click image for larger version

Name:	7c. Bay windows (2nd layer - white blinds at side, Green at center..jpg
Views:	135
Size:	122.1 KB
ID:	233641   Click image for larger version

Name:	5h. Black cardboard paper on window (1st black out layer).jpg
Views:	139
Size:	99.7 KB
ID:	233649  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 82 Old 09-20-2014, 08:25 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Nearly total control in my HT space. I have one 36x63 window with a roller shade and curtain. I sewed some rare earth magnets into the edges of a blackout curtain. They are strong enough to connect through the fabric, paint, and drywall mud to the metal drywall corner beading below the surface. It works pretty well if I take the time to smooth the edges out to lay flat.

Been considering a different setup with a tracked shade or roller.

It sure is hard to find side rails in the market place.
post #63 of 82 Old 09-26-2014, 12:39 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMike View Post
Thanks, pictures would be great. Do you think they block enough light for somebody who might want to sleep in the room when it's light out?
Took me awhile but I finally got around to taking some pictures. Yes they absolutely would allow for someone to sleep during the day with no problem. Just to note I took these photos on a very bright and hot summer day in New Orleans around 12:30 noon. I doesn't get much brighter than that! I took some of the photos with the lights off so you could see how much daylight is permeating the roll down shutters and it isn't much. I think we could get by without the curtains, but the shutters are not the prettiest of views.

Untitled by jjperrone, on Flickr

Last edited by jjperrone; 09-26-2014 at 12:59 PM.

post #64 of 82 Old 09-26-2014, 02:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjperrone View Post
Took me awhile but I finally got around to taking some pictures.
Thanks! It seems like those work very well considering that light blocking wasn't their intended purpose. I'm going to push ahead with getting some quotes on similar shutters for a couple of my other rooms where I need to darken the room without perfect pitch black.

Thanks!

Mike Kobb
(Formerly "ReplayMike". These opinions are mine alone, and in no way reflect the opinions of employers past or present!)
"Mike's Money Pit" Build Thread
post #65 of 82 Old 04-30-2015, 12:20 AM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Quote:
Many years ago, a friend of a friend showed me his home theater. He had installed Lutron blackout shades, which had metal channels on the sides that the shade ran in. But, even with those channels he pointed out how there was a little bit of light leakage at the bottom, and a little bit at the top of the rails, and that that little bit of leakage just wiped out his contrast on the projection screen. As a result, he had installed drapes in front of the windows, and the two combined gave him the perfect blackout that he wanted.

When I built my theater, I was determined to achieve total blackout. Fortunately, because we were re-casing the window and the patio door as part of the framework for the false fabric walls that hide all of the acoustical treatment, I was able to have the carpenters build the Lutron tracks into the window casings, and they built the motor into the space above the window. This allows the rails to run up into the area above the window, which means that any light leakage up there just leaks into that cavity, and doesn't make it into the room. At the bottom, we milled a 1" deep groove in the sills, so that the weighted hem bar drops into the groove. A little light leaks under the hem bar, but it's "swallowed" in the groove and does not affect the room.

I can go down there at the brightest part of the day, and if the room lights are off it is extraordinarily dark. So dark that my eyes eventually dark adapt to be able to see the very faint light cast onto the screen by the (very dim!) Lutron keypad at the back of the room. Even that will be almost totally eliminated when I get my final keypad faceplate.

Here are a couple of quick photos. Sorry for how dirty the window is!

In the second to last image, you can see how a small amount of leakage happens up by the roller, but is entirely confined within the casing of the window. In the last image you can see how the hem bar sits down in the groove. Because it's touching, there's a slight wrinkle in the material, but if I step it up one blip on the motor, it leaves a small gap, so I don't mind the wrinkle in exchange for a better seal.

PS: Is there some way to inline uploaded images instead of using the thumbnail/browser thing?
Amazing! That's about as good as it's gonna get! Where did you source this from? I've been looking to do this at my house.
post #66 of 82 Old 04-30-2015, 12:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Thanks! I'm not sure what you mean when you ask where it was sourced from?

Mike Kobb
(Formerly "ReplayMike". These opinions are mine alone, and in no way reflect the opinions of employers past or present!)
post #67 of 82 Old 04-30-2015, 12:31 AM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Quote:
Thanks! I'm not sure what you mean when you ask where it was sourced from?
Where did you buy it from? I googled Lutron roller and very few sites pop up. I live in Hawaii with Psychdoc and it's hard getting stuff over here cheaply.
post #68 of 82 Old 04-30-2015, 12:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Oh, got it, sorry. I went through a local Lutron dealer. I'm not sure if DIY is really possible with Lutron.

I have a total of 9 Lutron motors:
  1. Patio door
  2. Window
  3. Main screen motor (as supplied by Screen Research)
  4. Screen top mask motor (ditto)
  5. Left bookcase
  6. Right bookcase
  7. Left side mask (my custom stuff that's not done yet)
  8. Right side mask (ditto)
  9. Side mask motion (ditto)

I'm using a RadioRA Main Repeater to control all of that stuff (via a Control4 driver, actually), and as far as I know, it has to be programmed with Lutron's software. I'm under the impression that that software is only available to dealers (although I could be wrong).

In addition, the dealer was very helpful in figuring out the parts we needed for the light-blocking channels, the mounting brackets, selection of the different shade materials, measuring for the shades, and so on. He had a lot of expertise in the different motors and roller sizes as well. I think it was well worth going through a dealer for this stuff, although I did DIY a lot of other things!
Dr. Jekyll likes this.

Mike Kobb
post #69 of 82 Old 04-30-2015, 11:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I did not want a "Black BlacK" Theater room as the room is also the adult family room and is the house's central gathering place. My late wife would not stand for black walls so everything is a compromise. The walls/ceiling are white, the floor is carpeted in a beige carpet. There is a 4x4 foot window in the back of the room and a 12X2 clerestory window in one side about 8 feet off the floor. I have thought about doing the walls/ceiling in the neutral gray or a light blue using a non reflective paint if there is such a thing. The room is 16x34 with 10 foot ceilings, and the back 8 feet consisting of a wet bar, exit to the pool, and a bathroom. The 4x4 widow is a full pass through window opening to the pool area. The front 2 feet of the room is the equipment cabinetry with the screen recessed from the 2 foot cabinet front by 1 foot. Speakers are in wall with 2 side speakers on each side, a pair of back speakers and three front speakers Plus the sub in the front cabinetry below the screen.

I built my own shades and the shade control system from scratch. The shades are full opaque. I ordered the roller tubes with the fabric attached from the shade store. the 4x4 was no issue. the 12x2 was expensive to ship (special truck). If I were to do it again I would do three 4x2 shades for the clerestory window with each shade running in its own set of channels. The roller tubes came with a grove running lengthwise into which the motors from Rollertrol precisely fitted with a dog on the motor shaft sitting in the grove for positive contact. The motors are 12 volt units and reasonably quiet. Once again the length of the long shade has a higher noise factor. The control system is a set of IP controlled relays wired to provide dynamic breaking. The PC that controls the theater will start the theater and while the system is warming up it lowers the shades and dims any lights that might be on in the theater. To the right of each shade is a wall mounted toggle switch of the on-off-on type. the computer controls the shade of the switch is in the off position. In the up or down positions, the shades move manually as long as the switch is in that position. The shade motors have built in limit stops. Rollertrol was a tremendous help in designing the system and provide advice and suggestions.
Pitbull0669 likes this.
post #70 of 82 Old 04-30-2015, 05:21 PM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by barrygordon View Post
I did not want a "Black BlacK" Theater room as the room is also the adult family room and is the house's central gathering place.

I got the opportunity to visit Barry's place. The room works well.

I would add to the description that the window side tracks are made out of finished wood that blends well with the rest of the cabinetry in the room. It was very slick. I should have taken more pictures!
post #71 of 82 Old 05-01-2015, 07:05 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1676 Post(s)
Liked: 1012
Forgot a choice:

4. Not even a window in the room and the door has a rubber seal so as to keep out the tiniest bit of light!

Goodbye to a great audio and video genius and writer... JOHN GANNON. I enjoyed your friendship, wit and a nice long run we took around Indianapolis at CEDIA years back... and for buying my Runco 980 Ultra years back... you saved my ass! Rest in peace.
post #72 of 82 Old 09-25-2016, 10:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 108
Had to get crafty and make a custom valance to finish off my ambient light control - completely dark now!

Last edited by xnappo; 09-25-2016 at 10:16 AM.
post #73 of 82 Old 10-27-2016, 11:10 PM

Liked: 4
I can make it as dark as my soul.

And that's pretty dark.
xnappo likes this.
post #74 of 82 Old 05-17-2017, 02:58 AM

Liked: 10
Total control. Only one window, on the north side of the house, with blackout shades. Even with the shades up, the room still needs lighting for non-projector use.
post #75 of 82 Old 05-21-2017, 11:06 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 3
The room is dedicated for this, full control. It only has a single fixed pane window. I used a blackout window cover that I found at Amazon. Did the job better than I expected, and looks really nice from the outside. If you find it, make *sure* to cut it right.. I almost screwed up.
post #76 of 82 Old 05-29-2017, 12:50 AM

Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by NThreads View Post
The room is dedicated for this, full control. It only has a single fixed pane window. I used a blackout window cover that I found at Amazon. Did the job better than I expected, and looks really nice from the outside. If you find it, make *sure* to cut it right.. I almost screwed up.
Can you show on the photo how it looks?
post #77 of 82 Old 05-29-2017, 06:40 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by saprano View Post
I use these black out curtains-

http://www.amazon.com/Absolute-Zero-.../dp/B008FPMWHG

84" chocolate. They work very well during the day if I feel like watching a movie. The afternoon sun shines directly at my windows and those curtains make the room very dark.

And they work well for absorption for better SQ since they're thick and heavy.
+1 blackout curtains are the best.
post #78 of 82 Old 06-01-2017, 12:21 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Carman View Post
+1 blackout curtains are the best.
Quote:
Originally Posted by saprano View Post
I use these black out curtains-

http://www.amazon.com/Absolute-Zero-.../dp/B008FPMWHG

84" chocolate. They work very well during the day if I feel like watching a movie. The afternoon sun shines directly at my windows and those curtains make the room very dark.

And they work well for absorption for better SQ since they're thick and heavy.
These look perfect for what I need, thanks!
post #79 of 82 Old 06-01-2017, 05:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Sorry, but disagree. Blackout curtains will always have leakage between the rod and curtain. Even if you mount a track it will leak at the folds. Complete solution is at www.blackoutez.com . Don't work for them, just been there done that.
post #80 of 82 Old 06-06-2017, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torry Cox View Post
Can you show on the photo how it looks?
Of course! ALL the pictures were taken at the same time, roughly 6:45pm central time. After noon, this room is (was) blasted by sunlight. That window faces west. Compare to regular blinds from the bottom garage's window. I believe the photos speak for themselves. If you want pictures from 2 or 4 o'clock just ask (the outcome will be the same though). Btw, the picture with no flash is with the blinds up as in the picture with flash.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xnappo View Post
Sorry, but disagree. Blackout curtains will always have leakage between the rod and curtain. Even if you mount a track it will leak at the folds. Complete solution is at www.blackoutez.com . Don't work for them, just been there done that.
Well, we can agree to disagree...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Blackout with flash.png
Views:	12
Size:	538.4 KB
ID:	2174618   Click image for larger version

Name:	Blackout no flash.png
Views:	14
Size:	548.5 KB
ID:	2174626   Click image for larger version

Name:	Window faces sunset.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	89.4 KB
ID:	2174634  
post #81 of 82 Old 06-06-2017, 01:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NThreads View Post
Well, we can agree to disagree...
No - I agree with you! That is what I use. I was referring to @Phil Carman 's post .

I am using window covers like yours. This post was from my first attempt using blackout curtains which did not cut it with the Texas sun.
How Well Can You Control Ambient Daylight In Your Home Theater?

Last edited by xnappo; 06-06-2017 at 01:37 PM.
post #82 of 82 Old 06-06-2017, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xnappo View Post
No - I agree with you! That is what I use. I was referring to @Phil Carman 's post .

I am using window covers like yours. This post was from my first attempt using blackout curtains which did not cut it with the Texas sun.
How Well Can You Control Ambient Daylight In Your Home Theater?
Sorry! Makes sense now, rods and curtains
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Community News & Polls

Tags
frontpage , Polls

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page