Do You Prefer 2-Channel or Multichannel Music Recordings? - Page 12 - AVS Forum
View Poll Results: Do You Prefer 2-Channel or Multichannel Music Recordings?
2-channel 180 35.86%
Multichannel, audience perspective 184 36.65%
Multichannel, stage perspective 96 19.12%
I've never heard a multichannel music recording 42 8.37%
Voters: 502. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 
 125Likes

post #331 of 363 Old 08-14-2014, 09:58 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Agree with all of you!

With the right techniques you can capture sound in many ways. You can trick the mind to believe something is happening behind you with even a stereo track.
But, you can create real magic if you absolutely know what you are doing, when you record and mix with surround. It is not about the quantity of the sound, but the placement
of different sounds and timings. Personally, I like to listen to all music in 2x Stereo. you can change the spectrum of the music with placement and get some cool listening in.
Most music is not recorded for surround. I cannot wait until the methods to record surround are more pronounced. I have recorded live bands using 5 condensers in multiple
locations that I thought sounded mono and have had great results just listening back in a DAW you can hear the separation and could possibly make a great surround track with it.
Surround = Suited for live situations and or film making.
Stereo= You only have two ears! Just enjoy the music! It's what most music is created with!
The scope of how music gets recorded changes everyday and we will hear multiple versions of the same songs soon. DTS vs STereo lol.
Don't forget about the effect it will have on new hardware for recording in different ways too.
This is a great topic!

Thanks for listening, Sparq
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #332 of 363 Old 08-15-2014, 12:53 AM

Let me start by saying that I'm a musician, producer, editor, sound engineer, etc. So I get to hear audio in all ways shapes and forms.

Overall I prefer to hear music on a 3 channel system (left, right, and a dedicated low end channel). This is how I configure live sound systems.

However, at home there is much more flexibility. When I am composing music I have 10 channels of audio in my room that I can space everything out in. I've found for most pop/rock/jazz or what we would consider "standard" music, it sounds much better with only a stereo set up.

Live music recordings are a completely different. If the recording is purely set on the band like in a studio, then stereo still comes out on top. But if the recording engineers take into account the room, audience, and all the spaces between the music, the end result can be a very full sound in a multi channel setup.

Music is meant to tell a story. If the song is simple, simple mixing is sufficient. However, if there are many complex layers and textures in the music (any genre), I believe using multichannel audio is just another effect in the tool kit of the person mixing it.

Multichannel audio recordings are still being developed and tested. Just because we only have 2 ears doesn't mean we only hear in stereo. Our senses can detect much more than just left and right.

In all I think a stereo system will reproduce a more pleasing sound in general. A multichannel system used correctly can add a whole new dimension on music.
post #333 of 363 Old 08-15-2014, 05:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealAfrica View Post
I should have mentioned about flac in the car that I would very much prefer a solution that is played via the car's installed CD/Radio. I do not think it is a responsible thing to be driving a car with headphones on. Probably it is (or at least should be) illegal! It's the same as having a mobile/cell phone strapped to one's ear after all
I agree, which is why despite having an older sound system (but a good one - Lexus Mark Levinson), I use one of these adapters to send it to my car stereo.

Sure, some times it's not pristine, but if I pick the station to broadcast to sagaciously, it sounds just fine.

Quote:
I found some bluetooth jobbies that are supposed to send to the car radio, on some unused FM frequency, but in practice this seems to be hit and miss with connection, according to buyer's feedback. I really don't think wireless is up to streaming Hi Res properly yet, certainly no good for surround, but it might be OK if correctly implemented for Redbook and empty3.
I buy an increasing amount of lossless flac ( mostly two channel, 'cause that's what's available ), and play it during some long rides that I have.

I don't use spotify, but it seems to be compensating artists through the usual avenues (record companies, etc) so what makes it stand out as unfair? Curious, not trying to make some point.
post #334 of 363 Old 08-15-2014, 07:33 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by hernanu View Post
I agree, which is why despite having an older sound system (but a good one - Lexus Mark Levinson), I use one of these adapters to send it to my car stereo.

Sure, some times it's not pristine, but if I pick the station to broadcast to sagaciously, it sounds just fine.

I buy an increasing amount of lossless flac ( mostly two channel, 'cause that's what's available ), and play it during some long rides that I have.

I don't use spotify, but it seems to be compensating artists through the usual avenues (record companies, etc) so what makes it stand out as unfair? Curious, not trying to make some point.
The blue tooth jobbie you use is probably fine for your car. Mine has no AUX in, but I am thinking of hard wiring something at the back of the stereo.
Also being based in UK our FM radio coverage is vastly different than for you in USA. In fact I think all FM stations will close soon and all we will have is DAB.

In catering for the masses there is always this inevitable slide to the bottom regarding quality. Hence the predominance of empty3/DAB.

Spotify, at first was not paying artist much at all, they came in for a lot of criticism, which you seem to be unaware of, then they eventually compensated artists a little better than before, but still it is way below the accept norm. This is one huge reason I don't use them. I hate it when business people, of no talent, rip off talented people like this.
post #335 of 363 Old 08-15-2014, 01:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 35
About the only artists I've ever had a problem finding are sold oldie rock bands but hardly any. I use Spotify religiously and have over 100, 000k subscribers
post #336 of 363 Old 08-15-2014, 09:09 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Details Matter. Try Used.

Yes I only have two ears but my limitation is that I have only one budget. I am willing to bet that budget is the driving factor for most stereophiles/purists.

There are good reasons to stick with stereo (or the original surround format), and bad reasons.

The only reason I can think of to stick with stereo is to keep the cost of media down.

The best reason to use multichannel recordings is that the mix is usually better than equivalent stereo mixes, especially CDs with crushed dynamic range.

One bad reason to stick with stereo is the perception that nirvana comes from the most expensive pair of speakers and amps and cables one can manage.

Another bad reason to stick with stereo is the assumption that surround mix/synthesis is distortion. Recording studios use sophisticated effects processing on stereo too. There is no such thing as natural audio purity. Even pure raw stereo is unnatural. So is mono.

I also suspect that one more objection is the space requirement and it is absolutely valid. For those with space constraints, get a larger dwelling if you can!

When I tried 7.1 synthesis with surround dipoles from 5.1 or 2.0 source, I was underwhelmed. I was curious if adding more front channels would help.

I expanded to 11.1 with dual subs and replaced the dipoles with towers. Now even stereo usually sounds better in 11.1 and the more discrete channels in the source, the better. The overall sound of monopoles is also better for 11.1. The surround algorithms do all the diffusing of the sound that is required.

After all this experimentation I found the following to be true:

Stereo sounds great when done properly.

Multichannel in native format sounds better when done properly. The more channels the better.

Multichannel synthesis can sound better or worse than source. It depends on the source and the synthesis algorithm and the user (skills and preferences).

The only time I hear anything distracting from the synthesized channels is when the source bitrate is too slow (highly compressed) usually in the synthesized side and rear surrounds from streaming 2.0 on my abysmally slow connection. The (up to 7) discrete channels are all clean but the ambiance extraction of Dolby PLIIx/z can steer bursts of hash into the synthesized channels.

Now here is how I afforded an 11.1 system with 6 towers 4 bookshelves 2 subwoofers and a center. I only mention my used equipment prices for illustration of the potential savings to you prospective new adopters.

Please note that the average pricing is approximate because I may have bought some equipment in excellent shape and some needing repairs and some was free.

I paid ~$2000 total for my 9.1 receiver with 11.1 line out, 2.0 external amp, and 39 Sapphire plus 2 SVS speaker drivers. I suspect many can afford that.

I added a 46" Samsung fluourescent LCD for $300 and an Omni Designs glass/metal stand (that easily can hold a 75" DLP Laservue) for $100 new in sealed box, hand delivered by the owner.

I found three used blu ray players for a total of $100, one with wireless.

I also assembled/completed three more 7.1 PLIIz systems, two 6.1 PLIIx systems, and a 2.1 system, for a total expenditure of ~$4500 over two years of used audio shopping to build these 7 systems. Make it a round ~$5000 if counting the TV and stand.

I gave away the Onkyo HTIB speakers/sub that came with a $200 receiver. I paired them with an old Yamaha 7.1 receiver that was $30. Oops, sorry, make that 8 systems, although I probably should not count the HTIB since it was left over.

The PLIIx receivers were ~$150 each and the PLIIz were ~$200 each from Craigslist including one online refurbished 9.1 receiver w/11.1 line out for $850 internet-direct.

Some needed HDMI capacitors replaced and a couple of them are still waiting for me to get to them, but sort of working. Two have additional functional problems and one of them might need to be replaced if the capacitor repair does not fix the subwoofer output crossover that is currently full band. For now the subwoofer is running in band-limited mode with its crossover set near 100Hz. The refurbished receiver appears to have a problem with THX dynamic loudness but I am not concerned about that since I prefer the Audyssey version anyway. It seems more accurate to the Fletcher-Munson updated response curve versus the original and boosts the bass more, plus the reference level is adjustable.

Eight Sapphire dipoles averaged ~$50 each shipped, ten Sapphire towers were ~$125 each shipped. Twelve Sapphire satellites were ~$25 each, in like new condition, nine with original mounting hardware and boxes.

The towers took the worst beating with four needing replacement outriggers and one needing its MTM drivers swapped. Six of the towers are like new as are the 12 satellites that were ~$25 each. Several cabinets/grilles required some repair. The cosmetics are not perfect but they look OK.

Fedex and UPS paid for the equipment that they damaged and refunded me shipping too so I used the money for repairs and put the equipment into service with some cosmetic damage but basically for free plus labor.

One set of nearly like-new Design Acoustics 'point-source' speakers was from Freecycle. I installed them with a Kenwood 2.1 200 watt receiver and 100 watt subwoofer for $75 from the local thrift store. I put two $25 metal bird baths upside down for stands that are heavy and stable and almost look like they belong there.

The 6 Polk/TSC bookshelves/centers were also approximately $15 each, shipped, and required a terminal post plus some stick-on velcro for the broken grille mounts. I matched them with a flat thin AR subwoofer for $75.

One pair of Infinity Reference bookshelves was dumpster (for about an hour). One set of Infinity Reference towers was $25 and another $100. I used a $30 Polk center channel and one of the PLIIz receivers to complete this mongrel Infinity system for a friend who already had a set of Primus 363 and a KLH subwoofer that needed some contact cleaner on the potentiometers. We are still looking for a matching center but the Polk sounds good and is small so we might skip it.

The TSC subwoofer was ~$50 and needed a plate amplifier for ~$100 (it failed on first use). It is working fine in my bedroom with nine of the Sapphire satellites now.

The other three satellites and four dipoles are in another bedroom with an existing Velodyne miniature subwoofer and awaiting an HDMI receiver repair.

Other deals included two free vintage receivers and a free linear tracking moving coil Technics turntable from estate sale remnants. The turntable needed a $5 tonearm drive belt and the stylus is like new. I also repaired a used 3 head Yamaha cassette deck for $30 total investment and the transport is like new.

I had a few losses too. One $50 blu ray died, one free vintage receiver died and is awaiting me to repair, and the $400 Laservue died after a year (at $5000 retail maybe this is not really a loss), but I have hope of resurrecting Laservue since the lasers work fine but the light output is scrambled -- probably capacitors again. Later. Much.

Overall my 'luck' with used equipment has been very good and I am pleased with the results.

I apologize for all this background to prove that one motivated person can repeatedly assemble quality used multichannel systems on a very low budget. I am willing to work on damaged equipment but you do not have to do so in order to save money. You can be more choosy.

If you discarded multichannel or scaled back for economic reasons, please consider used. Based on my experience outfitting family and friends, your savings could be as high as 80%! All you need is some motivation and education.
post #337 of 363 Old 08-15-2014, 09:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Liked: 1404
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philnick View Post
I don't understand the hate for doing this I hear voiced on this forum or from "audiophiles" in general. Don't they want to hear the music as clearly as possible?

It's analoguous to the hate directed at high definition digital recordings by audiophiles whose love of the "warm" sound of vinyl played through tube amplifiers can lead them to reject as "harsh" any recordings that actually contain both low and high frequencies that reproduce the overtones and harmonics in the music.

."
Oh please, this is AVS stereotyping at it's best. You should get
1000 likes for repeating the mantra.

This is everything that is wrong with this forum. I should have never looked back into this thread.

What you got back home, little sister, to play your fuzzy warbles on? I bet you got little save pitiful, portable picnic players. Come with uncle and hear all proper! Hear angel trumpets and devil trombones. You are invited.
post #338 of 363 Old 08-17-2014, 01:43 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 3
So many posts. It's as dizzying as... surround sound!

I am able to get a nice wrap-around effect on many stereo recordings, but only with careful speaker placement and the sweet spot for sitting & listening is damn tiny! Still, it does sound mighty nice.

With 5-channel (real, not simulated), I'd say the advantages are less masking since instruments have to share their respective channels with fewer other sounds. This can provide quite startling realism at times. A neat trick I've heard on some multi-channel recordings is to use several channels to multiply the sound of an instrument so it sounds bigger than it could in stereo. Steven Wilson does this in the 5.1 mix of XTC's "The Ballad of Peter Pumpkinhead," starting the song off with a wallop from Dave Mattack's drum kit.

I can understand that some might find the experience of being surrounded by performers in their livingroom a bit weird, and you might suspect a sax player has slipped into the kitchen-- hide the marmalade! But it's another tool in the creative sonic arsenal. You can do it mild, like David Chesky often does by putting the critical sounds in the front 3 channels, getting a particularly realistic vocal sound. You can be bold, like Nick Davis with Genesis' ancient Trespass album, which envelopes the listener in acoustic guitars while voice and keyboards remain front 'n' center.

I don't look at any of this as a "gimmick" any more than a guitar effect pedal or doubling a vocal track is a gimmick, rather it's a way for an artist to expand their options.
Ovation, bthrb4u and madaudio like this.
post #339 of 363 Old 08-18-2014, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wilkinson View Post

The vast majority of music recordings are 2-channel, but multichannel recordings offer a different experience. Which do you prefer?

-------------------

A multichannel surround system is essential for the full enjoyment of most movies, but it can also provide an enhanced musical experience. Multichannel recordings also offer more options than 2-channel—in particular, a choice of perspectives. Mixing engineers can put you in the audience with ambience (room reverb, audience noises during live shows, etc.) in the surround channels, or they can put you in the middle of the ensemble, what AIX Records—a leading provider of multichannel-music recordings—calls the "stage perspective." On the other hand, the sweet spot for multichannel is smaller than for 2-channel—a point in the middle of the speaker array instead of a line perpendicular to the plane of two speakers.

Which leads me to ask: When you sit down to listen to music, do you prefer 2-channel or multichannel recordings? If multichannel, do you prefer the audience or stage perspective?

Like AVS Forum on Facebook
Follow AVS Forum on Twitter
+1 AVS Forum on Google+
Ill Never forget , back in 73 when I got my first Sennheiser Headphones and listened to the Moody Blues, "Thinking Is The Best Way To Travel",,,,,I could hear the sound circling my head and it blue my mind,,, Thats all I remember from the 70s,,,
post #340 of 363 Old 08-18-2014, 02:40 PM

Location: A distant outpost in the shadow of the empire. - NY
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Panning all over the place

Just wanted to cast my vote of overwhelming support for Multichannel music. I am a sucker for those aggressive 5.1 mixes that places the listener right in the center of the all.

Don’t get me wrong, a good stereo recording on great equipment can have tremendous depth and image. While I listen more frequently in stereo, mainly due to the lack of MC music, I find a well done discrete 5.1 mix just so much more engaging than a stereo recording. This format lends itself especially well to electronic music. Giving the audio engineer/mixer/producer whatever you want to call the individual responsible for mixing the album the additional space to play with is a good thing.
As numerous people have commented DSP-ing the hell out of a stereo signal is a joke and not comparable to a discrete 5.1 studio mix.

Some of the outstanding 5.1 studio mixes that do this are almost any of the Talking Heads 5.1 releases, NIN-Downward Spiral, Pink Floyd DSOTM, The Crystal Method - Legion of Boom, the Steely Dan stuff and the related and excellent Donald Fagan – Morph the Cat as someone else mentioned.
post #341 of 363 Old 08-18-2014, 03:11 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by In the Round View Post
Some of the outstanding 5.1 studio mixes that do this are almost any of the Talking Heads 5.1 releases, NIN-Downward Spiral, Pink Floyd DSOTM, The Crystal Method - Legion of Boom, the Steely Dan stuff and the related and excellent Donald Fagan – Morph the Cat as someone else mentioned.
Awesome, someone else has heard how good NIN The Downward Spiral is in 5.1. Mr Self Destruct is an eye opener for what can be done with multichannel industrial rock music with all channels blasting after the opening build up.

Legion of Boom is another great MC album. Also on my shelf is NIN With Teeth, Social Network Soundtrack, Amon Tobin's Splinter Cell Chaos Theory Soundtrack, Porcupine Tree Stupid Dream, BT This Binary Universe, Opeth Ghost Reveries, Opeth Still Life, Bjork __Surrounded and Paul Van Dyk Global.

Only wish there was more content mastered for multichannel.
post #342 of 363 Old 08-19-2014, 04:58 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Multi-Channel Hi-Fi

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorTorden View Post
To me it mostly comes down to mixing and masters as always.
I therefore prefer mostly 2 channel music, since many 'conversions' barely sound any better than Dolby DSP on the stereo track or often just using the extra speakers to blast up the volum, costing what little perspective and depth I have.

It also sets some extra criteria to your systems calibration, I have in many cases heard setups that are just awesome for movies since the surrounds plays mostly different sounds than the rest of the system, with many surround mixes they just blast everything through anything and if you move an inch out of sweet spot the timing between channels fall off.

Now of course there are many many exceptions to this, the 5.1 surround mix of Dark side of the moon for example or pretty much any concert blueray benefit greatly from having surround.

In summary, providing it is done right I love it, if not give me stereo.
I agree, if the mixing has been done well, the experience is enhanced. If done badly then the experience will also be bad. For me, either stage or audience perspective can work. But, classical only works from a normal audience PoV (unless you like the disorienting feeling of violins screaming in your left ear while viola and bass thump and groan in your right. This is assuming you are sitting just in front of the conductor. It gets worse if you are sitting amongst the woodwind players.

With rock and pop forms it can work from either of the seats. But again, mixing is the key and would have to be a very central-ear bias, building volume and emphasis from the centre out, which is not the usual mix you hear in stereo. A multichannel mix cannot be stereo compatible, it would too hard and too weird. The multi's I like are from an audience seat, central in the hall, like I do in a cinema, say a dozen rows from the stage, but with movie-style surrounds, specifically designed with and for the music. Surround ambient mixes sound and feel great when done right.

The alternative is for to have a mix like was done for Alan Parson's Air album (4 channel), a little gimmicky with the effects, but I loved it then, with sounds whizzing around the room and an ambiance that moves from close and intimate to a big hall feel. I still like to put it on occasionally.

I have a stack of multi-channel CD's in Dolby and DTS. I also have about a dozen or so CD4's (vinyl) including Dark Side of the Moon and Creedence. Great fun, but mostly ambient surround stuff, not true multichannel. Too bad they were never transferred to CD/DVD (well maybe not all of them should be).
post #343 of 363 Old 08-19-2014, 05:08 AM

You Need A Better Car

Quote:
I'm sure that is fine for many people, but I have no interest in spotify, especially as they don't pay proper royalties to artists.
I don't see it as any improvement over me playing my CDs as I currently do, or even listening to regular radio.
I prefer to listen to my own lossless music, not empty3, but then the car is such a noisy environment maybe high bit rate empty3 would do? Except I would have to spend so much time converting all my lossless files to empty3 and find more storage for them. That last issue is the one that stops me even considering empty3 use, anywhere.
As the header says, you need to be more critical and discerning about the vehicles you buy. My Nissan Maxima Ti, (2012) is so quiet I can hear my heart racing each time I plant the foot. The 11 speaker, 5.1 surround system (native to the car) is awesome. The DVD drive not only plays movies, but auto-rips music tracks (CD or DVD) to the inbuilt HDD in loss-less format. The sound can be set for stereo or surround mode. Not only but also, it has a nicely tuned subwoofer to take care of the low stuff. I play everything from Tina Arena to Dianna Krall, ACDC and Vangelis. So, turn it up, just a bit higher than normal and forget the road noise.
post #344 of 363 Old 08-19-2014, 09:31 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murbella7 View Post
As the header says, you need to be more critical and discerning about the vehicles you buy. My Nissan Maxima Ti, (2012) is so quiet I can hear my heart racing each time I plant the foot. The 11 speaker, 5.1 surround system (native to the car) is awesome. The DVD drive not only plays movies, but auto-rips music tracks (CD or DVD) to the inbuilt HDD in loss-less format. The sound can be set for stereo or surround mode. Not only but also, it has a nicely tuned subwoofer to take care of the low stuff. I play everything from Tina Arena to Dianna Krall, ACDC and Vangelis. So, turn it up, just a bit higher than normal and forget the road noise.
I'm very happy for you in your nice new car.
eljr likes this.
post #345 of 363 Old 08-19-2014, 04:58 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I voted 2 channel because when I am listening to music, I do so while moving around. Either jamming or cleaning house or hanging with friends. Either way, I don't have the room layout that allows for a decent multi channel stereo, for more than 1 seat, leaving my guests unable to properly enjoy the music or movies.
post #346 of 363 Old 08-25-2014, 12:45 PM

Edited: misread the vote... misspoke

This is the only part that I meant to keep: As AVS members I'm surprised that so many voted 2-ch. Do we not come here for set up ideas in AVS?

Last edited by robertkjr3d; 08-25-2014 at 05:40 PM.
post #347 of 363 Old 08-25-2014, 06:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Liked: 1404
Quote:
As the header says, you need to be more critical and discerning about the vehicles you buy. My Nissan Maxima Ti, (2012) is so quiet I can hear my heart racing each time I plant the foot. .
Dude, I roared in laughter at the irony.

What you got back home, little sister, to play your fuzzy warbles on? I bet you got little save pitiful, portable picnic players. Come with uncle and hear all proper! Hear angel trumpets and devil trombones. You are invited.
post #348 of 363 Old 08-28-2014, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cgallaway View Post
I voted 2 channel because when I am listening to music, I do so while moving around. Either jamming or cleaning house or hanging with friends. Either way, I don't have the room layout that allows for a decent multi channel stereo, for more than 1 seat, leaving my guests unable to properly enjoy the music or movies.
My multi-channel system sounds good from many different seats and angles. This is a misconception. When you go to a theater, not everyone can sit in the middle, can they? When you sit in a car, no when sits in the middle, unless you bend your head, and generally you don't set the speaker system to left or right of center.
post #349 of 363 Old 09-07-2014, 02:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked: 259
I just read this article that makes a pretty good case for Mono (single channel): http://pitchfork.com/features/oped/9492-back-to-mono/
post #350 of 363 Old 09-07-2014, 04:02 PM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Mono is the BEST!! (I listen in Mono as much as possible)
post #351 of 363 Old 09-07-2014, 07:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked: 259
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
Mono is the BEST!! (I listen in Mono as much as possible)
That's how I first heard Sargent Peppers! A Massive loaded horn speaker powered by an 80 Watt vacuum tube Heathkit amp...Garrard turntable with a Pickering cartridge.
post #352 of 363 Old 09-07-2014, 08:21 PM

Very very nice indeed
post #353 of 363 Old 11-23-2014, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
Very very nice indeed
So, how do you figure me....

I am deaf in one ear, can hardly hear with the other (at least that's what my mother used to say and the wife still says), yet I absolutely love (and discern) the directions of multi-channel sound (as in movies or surround sound music mixes.

In truth, I understand the biomechanics of this with the good ear referencing the delays and translating those into directions and distance.
I won't go further except to say that for us wierdos, trying to understand regular speech in a noisy room is murder.
post #354 of 363 Old 11-24-2014, 07:24 AM

I can totally understand buddy!

It still sounds good right?? -- I feel bad you can only hear out of 1 ear
post #355 of 363 Old 11-24-2014, 06:58 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
.........But, classical only works from a normal audience PoV (unless you like the disorienting feeling of violins screaming in your left ear while viola and bass thump and groan in your right. This is assuming you are sitting just in front of the conductor. It gets worse if you are sitting amongst the woodwind players.....
Can't agree with statement I have high-lighted in red - I go out of my way to find a surround recording when I am after a new classical addition to my collection. DVD-As, Blu-ray, DVD 5.1,or SACD if I can't find the composition in any of the first three preferred formats. (Not a slight on SACD - it is just that I can't rip SACD's onto my hard drives!)
Love some of the Tacet titles eg their Mozart Flute Quartets, with violins, cello, etc popping up all around the room, and the lead flute almost sounding like it's just above your head. Total Immersion!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	folder.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	25.7 KB
ID:	383889  
post #356 of 363 Old 11-24-2014, 07:58 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 1
I think it all depends on what your listening to. I prefer my two channel rig when I'm cooling out and listening to Jazz or Classic music when relaxing. But when I just feel like jamming I go for multi-channel rig.
post #357 of 363 Old 11-24-2014, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spawn300Z View Post
I think it all depends on what your listening to. I prefer my two channel rig when I'm cooling out and listening to Jazz or Classic music when relaxing. But when I just feel like jamming I go for multi-channel rig.
I know this sounds a little counter-intuitive, but when I want to chill out, I find it most relaxing to put on Vangelis and crank it up.
Having the sound totally envelope me sends me to another place. It's only when the wife opens the door and screams down my neck am I brought back to earth, which is why I appreciate my 5.1 Bose system in my car, heaven on wheels.
post #358 of 363 Old 11-24-2014, 10:14 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
I know this sounds a little counter-intuitive, but when I want to chill out, I find it most relaxing to put on Vangelis and crank it up.
Having the sound totally envelope me sends me to another place. It's only when the wife opens the door and screams down my neck am I brought back to earth, which is why I appreciate my 5.1 Bose system in my car, heaven on wheels.
Well its just me and my son. So I have nobody to bring me back down to earth. So I guess it could be a good or bad thing.
post #359 of 363 Old 11-24-2014, 11:47 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Jazz, classical, "world", soft pop or whatever, when I want to relax, even drift off to the music, I still want it surround, and loud enough to be "in the room with me" but not so loud it's dangerous. But then, I have never used any sort of meter (and am single!) to check my default volume setting, so who knows, maybe it has been "dangerous" all along!!!
post #360 of 363 Old 11-25-2014, 08:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 510 Post(s)
Liked: 1027
Quote:
Originally Posted by madaudio View Post
Jazz, classical, "world", soft pop or whatever, when I want to relax, even drift off to the music, I still want it surround, and loud enough to be "in the room with me" but not so loud it's dangerous. But then, I have never used any sort of meter (and am single!) to check my default volume setting, so who knows, maybe it has been "dangerous" all along!!!
You mean you don't have a smartphonedevice thingy that can download an spl meter app? May not be a great tool but give you an idea of your spl levels....

"I realize that somebody playing free music isn't as commercial as a hamburger stand. But is it because you can eat a hamburger and hold it in your hand and you can't do that with music? Is it too free to control?" - Don Van Vliet (aka Captain Beefheart) discussing commercial success in the music biz

Reply Community News & Polls

Tags
frontpage , Polls

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page