Do You Prefer 2-Channel or Multichannel Music Recordings? - Page 3 - AVS Forum
View Poll Results: Do You Prefer 2-Channel or Multichannel Music Recordings?
2-channel 171 35.48%
Multichannel, audience perspective 175 36.31%
Multichannel, stage perspective 95 19.71%
I've never heard a multichannel music recording 41 8.51%
Voters: 482. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 
 123Likes

post #61 of 345 Old 07-04-2014, 01:05 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by quad4.0 View Post
That is an excuse. I have "seen and heard" all the reasons not to listen to 5.1 music. Unfortunately, not all MC is good. Just like any recording, crap in-crap out! Elliot Scheiner does the best work, The Steely Dan and Fagen stuff is terrific. As is every other production he has been involved with. Stereo is wonderful, with proper imaging it always had me interested but when I hard dvd audio I went bonkers, WHY? Because MC allows for a more cleaner sound, dividing up the instruments into 5.1 speakers and allowing more "room" to allow a cleaner sound. Stuff a band into 2 speakers and it will be somewhat "muddy" especially some older productions, ( Tubular Bells) comes to mind as well as some other productions with a full compliment of instruments.
If it's so wonderful why has there been so little of it released over the years? And a big reason it often fails is the room you play it in. I've heard the same sources with very similar electronics and speaker systems and setups sound wholly different based on the room. If you think it's hard to correct for room related frequency response, waves, reflections, etc. in stereo setups, it's far more difficult with MC. And there are few engineers and producers capable of effectively recording for MC. That's especially true with films, where the main focus is on the visual. Guess it finally comes down to either a matter of taste or trying to recreate the live experience in the home.

Steve Schaffer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 345 Old 07-04-2014, 01:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 89
2-channel is just multichannel done badly.
JonFo, HowardV, JFinch and 3 others like this.
post #63 of 345 Old 07-04-2014, 01:19 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phrehdd View Post
I'll get on the boat with the others who expressed that it really matters how the recording was engineered. For me, I would happily enjoy a multi-channel source that were all front speakers or in an arc in front of me. In the meanwhile, I'll continue to listen to stereo and multi-channel (5.x system) in my home as my system handles it quite nicely.

Since much is a matter of engineering, I pretty much have given up on the notion of "fidelity" as sound is being manipulated in the studios to produce those stereo and multi-channel offerings.
Over the decades of improving my audio system I'm continually amazed at how good original mono recordings can be. Just listen to some Buddy Holly stuff or some, not all, of the studio work that came from Phil Spector (e.g. the Righteous Brothers, Crystals, Ronettes, etc.). Yes, you don't get a true stereo spread, but my oh my, what sound. Nearly forgot to include the Beatles in mono. Far better result than stereo. And some things from the 50's were meant for playing from the front seat of a Chevy two tone Bel Air.

Guess I recall too many of the experiments in the 80's with bucket-brigade technology, the odd speakers that Amar Bose came up with for reflected sound field recreation (never forget hearing a violin appearing at 120 degrees off).

Don't get me wrong. In the right home theater setup, MC can work quite well. All depends on proper setup and great end to end recording / production. But that's led me to separate environments -- audio room for purely stereo and upstairs video room using a simple, but reasonably effective, 5.1 system. Nice illusion for film based playback that doesn't go overboard. Like good audio, an MC system should never call attention to itself but server the film. And for really well produced live music performance, that's the sweet spot for me.

Steve Schaffer

Last edited by sjschaff; 07-04-2014 at 01:33 PM.
post #64 of 345 Old 07-04-2014, 04:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 134
I'm with you on how amazing mono can sound. I have a ton of mono recordings. All are very simple recordings with no processing or effects. There is something very intimate about listening to mono.
post #65 of 345 Old 07-04-2014, 04:28 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyoAJB View Post
I'm not sure how you would categorize multichannel albums from Pink Floyd and the like that use all kinds of non-traditional instruments and sound effects that appear and disappear from various directions or even pan around you. Would you consider that as being on the stage or part of the audience?
This is my absolute favorite type of surround! My favorite song is Deep Purple's "Lazy" (Machine Head album) - where the instruments are thrown around. Another favorite is Grover Washington's Winelight. Very cool effects. I'm also very familiar with AIX records, and in general, I much prefer the stage perspective.

One thing I'd like to add is the importance of the *quality* of the center/rear speakers. Historically, rear speakers didn't get full frequency audio and were used for fill. But since a "stage' perspective uses the rear speakers with full frequency response, it's extremely important to have the same speakers all the way around. No more nice front/right speakers and some little bookshelves in the back. What has served the movie needs well in the past is gonna need improvement for multi-channel audio purposes.

I absolutely LOVE multi-channel audio.

McIntosh MX-119 Pre/Pro
Oppo BDP-105 Blu-Ray
Spectron Premiere MKII 7 Channel Class D Amp (500w x 7)
5 Anthony Gallo Reference 3.5 Speakers
Sunfire Super JR Subwoofer
Sony Z2 Series laptop as dedicated HTPC
post #66 of 345 Old 07-04-2014, 04:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked: 916
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wilkinson View Post
The vast majority of music recordings are 2-channel, but multichannel recordings offer a different experience.
like a gimmick or candy as it were

the novelty of multi-channel is entertaining but until a live performance is standardly presented the same I'll stick to two channel.

i just don't see music as a thrill ride. leave that for the movies.

What you got back home, little sister, to play your fuzzy warbles on? I bet you got little save pitiful, portable picnic players. Come with uncle and hear all proper! Hear angel trumpets and devil trombones. You are invited.
post #67 of 345 Old 07-04-2014, 07:20 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
So what do AVS posters readers and lurkers think of Neo:X ? I usually like the 2 channel conversion to multi for music via Neo:X
post #68 of 345 Old 07-04-2014, 07:31 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 23
I prefer well recorded music in native multi-channel. Steely Dan's Everything Must Go or The Last Mall albums are excellent examples in MCH download or DVD audio 5.1 or SACD. Crosby Stills & Nash remastered in native 2 channel is excellent. It's too bad most recorded music is over compressed and over mixed. What makes most native multi-channel music sound better is simply less processing.

Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon was first released in 2 channel. But we all know how great Wishing You Were Here sounds in multi-channel.

Long live both formats!

South Florida is my Theater
Listen to live music and recreate it at home.
post #69 of 345 Old 07-04-2014, 08:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Wish You Were Here in MC is a religious experience!
Next up Amused to Death then maybe Animals and hopefully in my lifetime The Wall.
post #70 of 345 Old 07-05-2014, 06:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Recordings vs. channels

I listen to all my stereo recordings using ambiance-recreation (Lexicon).

Most people (including Scott) do not take AR seriously. I can only assume that they disregard the concept a priori and have never heard a proper setup for AR.

Multichannel/Quad recordings on the other hand can be distracting and gimmicky (well, some are!), but the more you listen to them, the less distracting they become and the more you enjoy the benefits of less masking of the individual instruments/voices and of a different music-listening perspective.

Pablo Roufogalis L.

post #71 of 345 Old 07-05-2014, 07:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by proufo View Post
I listen to all my stereo recordings using ambiance-recreation (Lexicon).

Most people (including Scott) do not take AR seriously. I can only assume that they disregard the concept a priori and have never heard a proper setup for AR.

Multichannel/Quad recordings on the other hand can be distracting and gimmicky (well, some are!), but the more you listen to them, the less distracting they become and the more you enjoy the benefits of less masking of the individual instruments/voices and of a different music-listening perspective.
Hearing instruments/voices that are "buried in the mix" when listening in MCH--discrete or matrixed (the latter open to tweaking for taste) is one of the biggest benefits of MCH audio.
18labonte likes this.
post #72 of 345 Old 07-05-2014, 10:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by eljr View Post
like a gimmick or candy as it were

the novelty of multi-channel is entertaining but until a live performance is standardly presented the same I'll stick to two channel.

i just don't see music as a thrill ride. leave that for the movies.

I respectfully differ with you about this. I see it the exact opposite way. Music is a thrill ride for me. And it's a buzz kill when it's bad and not thrilling. That's why movie makers and game makers use it so adroitly in movies and games. To add the thrill in the production. And a properly set up multi channel system does it for me. I used to be a rigid Stereophile in the 1970's. But once I started down the high end multichannel audiophile path...it just blew pure stereo out of the water for me. I still enjoy excellent stereo recordings on excellent stereo systems. But multi-channel provides the thrill for me. IMO there is no comparison between a stereo recording of Popular Orchestral works or Jazz (even the most intimate recordings versus SACD versions of the same piece.
18labonte likes this.
post #73 of 345 Old 07-05-2014, 10:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrelbelly View Post
I respectfully differ with you about this. I see it the exact opposite way. Music is a thrill ride for me. And it's a buzz kill when it's bad and not thrilling. That's why movie makers and game makers use it so adroitly in movies and games. To add the thrill in the production. And a properly set up multi channel system does it for me. I used to be a rigid Stereophile in the 1970's. But once I started down the high end multichannel audiophile path...it just blew pure stereo out of the water for me. I still enjoy excellent stereo recordings on excellent stereo systems. But multi-channel provides the thrill for me. IMO there is no comparison between a stereo recording of Popular Orchestral works or Jazz (even the most intimate recordings versus SACD versions of the same piece.
you just agreed that surround is a "thrill ride"

BTW, your avatar, what is it?

What you got back home, little sister, to play your fuzzy warbles on? I bet you got little save pitiful, portable picnic players. Come with uncle and hear all proper! Hear angel trumpets and devil trombones. You are invited.
post #74 of 345 Old 07-05-2014, 02:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 282
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lionanimal View Post
So what do AVS posters readers and lurkers think of Neo:X ? I usually like the 2 channel conversion to multi for music via Neo:X
I don't have NeoX but use Dolby PLIIz using Heights and Rears along with 2 subs on Multichannel music and it sounds GREAT! On my old Denon AVR-4806 I could get the same effect converting 5.1 into 7.1 using only the Denon's Surround Matrix function for the back speakers and it made it seem like there was a separate channel in the rear with it sounding like it was discrete...

It's been a decade since I bought any 2 channel material and I don't play those sources except in a blue moon.
post #75 of 345 Old 07-05-2014, 04:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 231
Question

Quote:
you just agreed that surround is a "thrill ride"

BTW, your avatar, what is it?

I said "music" is a thrill ride for me. Meaning, it is thrilling experience when delivered in a thrilling way. And multi channel does that for me. The Avatar is Bucky the Badger. From my alma mater...the University of Wisconsin.
post #76 of 345 Old 07-05-2014, 04:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked: 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Derks
2-channel is just multichannel done badly.

For me it is the other way around, the multichannel disturbes the stereo image. Seriously, multichannel is ugly IMO.
eljr likes this.
post #77 of 345 Old 07-05-2014, 04:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrelbelly View Post
I said "music" is a thrill ride for me. Meaning, it is thrilling experience when delivered in a thrilling way. And multi channel does that for me. The Avatar is Bucky the Badger. From my alma mater...the University of Wisconsin.

Yes you did.

indeed, cheap thrills can be had with multi adding to the experience, I do not disagree

nice mascot, cute

post #78 of 345 Old 07-05-2014, 05:07 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 14
2 channel for me.

In my small listening room, I get better imaging with just my mains. I have several concert blu-rays that are 5.1 but most of them I switch to the stereo track; the only exception being The Doors Live at the Bowl. Awesome mix

Def Tech: BP-8060ST, CS-8060, PM1000; Denon X4000; Panasonic 50ST60
Mac Mini; Xbox One; Xbox 360; Samsung BD-D6500; Panamax M5300-PM
post #79 of 345 Old 07-05-2014, 05:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 741
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8mile13 View Post
For me it is the other way around, the multichannel disturbes the stereo image. Seriously, multichannel is ugly IMO.
Are you referring to recordings not recorded/mixed for multi-channel played back in a multi-ch mode in your preamp? Stereo doesn't necessarily mean two-channel, either...

Ugly? The additional speakers are too many for you and are aesthetically not pleasing?

Curious,, do you listen to a particular type of music generally?

post #80 of 345 Old 07-05-2014, 05:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 113
I think multichannel has it's place, but stereo is much more versatile.

For example Chamber Music especially nice in multichannel.

But live rock concerts for example are more of a stereo affair anyways, usually with 2 speaker stacks left and right as the norm these days.

That being said, I like the old Telarc classical orchestra binaural recordings from audience perspective. Great stuff.

Ive experiemented with binaural recordings using stealth mics, bootlegging local concerts in smaller venues. Works great.

Vizio VP322 Plasma / Vizio GV42LF LCD / Denon 2200 Silicon Image DVD / Panasonic S97 Faroudja Genesis DVD / Oppo 970HD Mediatek DVD / Oppo 983H Anchor Bay DVD / Panasonic LX-600 Laserdisc / Aiwa MX100 Multi-region VCR / JVC S7600 S-VHS / PS2 / Sega Genesis / Nintendo SNES / Roku 2 XS & HD-XR / Realistic STA-90 Reciever / Realistic Minimus 7 / Antennacraft G1483 Hoverman / Belden 7915A RG6 / Channel Master 7777 Titan 2 UHF/VHF / Panasonic AX-200u / Optoma Graywolf 92" / Draper Luma 92"
post #81 of 345 Old 07-06-2014, 04:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd View Post
Are you referring to recordings not recorded/mixed for multi-channel played back in a multi-ch mode in your preamp? Stereo doesn't necessarily mean two-channel, either...

Ugly? The additional speakers are too many for you and are aesthetically not pleasing?

This is just how a certain type of 'audiophile' talks.
They simply refuse to listen to good multi channel setups/recordings. And even if they heard such a setup the bias in their brains doesn't allow them to enjoy it.
They keep comparing 'ping pong' mc to proper stereo instead of comparing good multichannel versus good stereo.
post #82 of 345 Old 07-06-2014, 04:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Derks View Post
This is just how a certain type of 'audiophile' talks.
They simply refuse to listen to good multi channel setups/recordings. And even if they heard such a setup the bias in their brains doesn't allow them to enjoy it.
They keep comparing 'ping pong' mc to proper stereo instead of comparing good multichannel versus good stereo.

wow

but then again comments like this are what this forum is know for

it's a shame

post #83 of 345 Old 07-06-2014, 05:07 AM
AVS Special Member

last word:

listen to whatever you like however you like to listen to it

some people enjoy listening to sound effects like on movies,

some like swirly moving music manipulation like on surround,

some like music from the front in a two channel format

some think it all has it's place.

Seems to me if your goal is to duplicate a real world presentation you prefer 2 channel,

where as, if you prefer the thrills that the modern age can provide in sound you prefer multi

so be it

there is no right or wrong

peace brothers

post #84 of 345 Old 07-06-2014, 05:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked: 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd

I do not like sound coming from several directions. Stereo imago works fine for me. I even prefer movies in stereo over multichannel.

I listen to lots of populair music (from fifties to what's going on right now). I also listen to classical, piano and jazz-rock.
Quote:
This is how a certain type of 'audiophile' talks.
I am not a audiophile Frank. I am strongly visual orientated. I am a videophile I am a fan of audio content though. And like to do some reading on the Audio Forums.
Quote:
They simply refuse to listen to good Multi channel setups/recordings.
I do not like sound coming from several directions, has nothing to do with setups/recordings.
post #85 of 345 Old 07-06-2014, 07:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I even prefer movies in stereo over multichannel.

personally i love it when the helicopters fly in from behind me than land in front of me

when the bass player does the same thing, I think gimmick

post #86 of 345 Old 07-06-2014, 08:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
when the bass player does the same thing, I think gimmick
Another flawed example

The truth is that this doesn't happen in 99.9% of the mc mixes.

and a lie:

Quote:
Originally Posted by eljr

Last word....

post #87 of 345 Old 07-06-2014, 08:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I do not like sound coming from several directions. Stereo imago works fine for me. I even prefer movies in stereo over multichannel.

I listen to lots of populair music (from fifties to what's going on right now). I also listen to classical, piano and jazz-rock.

I am not a audiophile Frank. I am strongly visual orientated. I am a videophile I am a fan of audio content though. And like to do some reading on the Audio Forums.

I do not like sound coming from several directions, has nothing to do with setups/recordings.

That is just one of the things that happens in real live.

How do you cope?
post #88 of 345 Old 07-06-2014, 08:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Another flawed example

and a lie:
Quote:
That is just one of the things that happens in real live.

How do you cope?
you are one unhappy dude

not everyone is gonna agree with you, especially when you are flat out wrong...
'
just sayin'

peace out brother

post #89 of 345 Old 07-06-2014, 08:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 282
Quote:
Another flawed example

and a lie:
I own over a 100 multichannel titles and don't think I've ever heard the bass player move around the room...That said, it appears folks have their preferences engrained....I can see where a nice 2 channel setup can make it easy to imagine a band is playing on stage in front of you but some of us listen to this same material and imagine what the artist had going through their head...

That said, I have albums that were originally 2 channel but sound excellent/better in multichannel. Everything from Alice Cooper's Billion Dollar Babies" to Dire Straits "Brothers in Arms," to every Donald Fagan release I've heard/own...Then you have the Talking Heads collection which may be the most awesome sounding mixes that sound like it was actually made for Multichannel Music instead of 2 channel.
Perpendicular likes this.

Last edited by Zen Traveler; 07-06-2014 at 08:37 AM.
post #90 of 345 Old 07-06-2014, 08:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen Traveler View Post

I own over a 100 multichannel titles and don't think I've ever heard the bass player move around the room...:
so who moves around the room? The guitarist? piano?

I am not saying there is anything wrong with it but the whole point of multi is to have sounds come from different places in the listening room.

Reply Community News & Polls

Tags
frontpage , Polls

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page