Does Your ISP Throttle Your Bandwidth? - Page 3 - AVS Forum
View Poll Results: Does Your ISP Throttle Your Bandwidth?
Yes, when I exceed the limit from any content provider 16 5.39%
Yes, when I exceed the limit from a content provider other than my ISP 6 2.02%
No, but I'm charged more when I exceed the limit 33 11.11%
No, I can send and receive an unlimited amount of data 166 55.89%
Don't know 76 25.59%
Voters: 297. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 
 10Likes

post #61 of 88 Old 07-20-2014, 06:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by aufVidyZen View Post
Comcast do not have to roll a single truck, hire a single field technician, to double, triple, quadruple their broadband capacity overnight. Just switch over a couple of shopping channels to broadband capacity. Comcast lobbyists are throwing up a huge amount of FUD to the FCC in the Comcast/T-W acquisition about how they are "struggling" to provide future bandwidth, but it's total BS. It won't cost them a dime, in the end.
I don't understand the logic of this. They give up the revenue they get from some shopping channels, but somehow that "won't cost them a dime"?

Greg Lee
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 88 Old 07-20-2014, 08:22 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wilkinson View Post

What happens when you exceed your bandwidth cap? Increased cost? Slower speed? Or do you have no cap?

As many of you are painfully aware, some ISPs (Internet service providers) throttle the bandwidth of any subscriber who sends and receives more than a specified amount of data. Typically, the limit is 150 or 250GB per month, which seems like a lot—until you stream a few high-def movies and perform cloud-based backup of your entire hard drive, after which you find yourself slogging along at dial-up speeds or paying much more for your Internet access. With some ISPs that are also content providers, such as telecom and cable companies, accessing their content does not count toward the limit, but venturing outside their ecosystem does.

Does your ISP engage in any of these pernicious practices? If so, what is your limit and what happens when you exceed it?

Like AVS Forum on Facebook
Follow AVS Forum on Twitter
+1 AVS Forum on Google+
I Have Verizon FiOS Here In Fl. I Ran The Special NetFlix Test Video Yesterday, & I Got A Full 3Mb Bandwidth For 720P On My Roku 3 . Which Is Then Converted To 1080P My My Onkyo TR-NX515 , & The Picture & 5.1 Surround Work Perfectly !! The Amazon Prime Instant Video App. Works Even Better Than NetFlix On My Roku 3 !!!!
post #63 of 88 Old 07-20-2014, 09:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I'm on Cox San Diego. I have never exceeded their 250GB cap but here are quotes from their website:

What happens if I exceed my monthly data plan?

If you exceed your data plan, Cox will attempt to notify you by one or more methods; email, phone, or messages on your computer. You can choose to reduce your data usage or select a different Cox High Speed Internet package that better fits your needs. In some cases, you may not be aware you are exceeding your data plan because your computers are infected with a virus that is sending spam or otherwise consuming data usage or you are sharing your Internet connection through an open Wi-Fi access point. Cox strives to work with you proactively before taking action to suspend service. However, in rare cases of extremely high usage, Cox will suspend your service until you call Cox. In even rarer cases, Cox will terminate your service if you do not decrease your usage after consultation with Cox. See Cox Online Privacy Policy and related terms and agreements for additional information.

Will I be billed if I exceed these plans?

Cox does not currently charge additional fees if your data plan is exceeded.

Does data usage from Cox's other services like TV, phone, or Home Security count towards my data plan??

Using these Cox-provided services will not count towards your monthly data plan.
  • Video accessed through Cox TV Connect
  • Video on Demand and TV accessed through the Contour app and not accessed via a 3rd party app like HBO GO or ESPN3
  • Cox Digital Telephone

- Checking my "Data Usage Meter", our household has only used ~16GB of the 250GB allowance by day 24 of our 30-day billing cycle so I'm not really concerned about exceeding our cap but that would obviously change if we decide to drop their TV package and rely on streaming video services.

Be seeing you!
post #64 of 88 Old 07-20-2014, 10:47 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregLee View Post
I don't understand the logic of this. They give up the revenue they get from some shopping channels, but somehow that "won't cost them a dime"?
I assume broadband users would pay more for more bandwidth, and this revenue would offset the loss of revenue from dropping the shopping channel. That's their only "cost" to add bandwidth to the Comcast network. They don't have to lay more fiber, or send out technicians. A couple of engineers in the NOC (network operations center) push out some config files to the cable head-end units to move some HFC frequency slots from video use to broadband use, and it's done.

That's about what it costs to wash Brian L. Robertson's private jet. Once.

I have "regular DSL". Which Comcast has to offer because the SEC would not approve the NBC acquisition unless they offered it. Comcast does not advertise this option, but it is there (for a period of 3 years only, after the NBC acquisition).

To get higher speed DSL I have to buy a video package for $45 that I don't want. I don't watch TV. If I buy the video package, Comcast will turn up my port speed (and charge me for it), but won't add any actual bandwidth to it's network.

Now they are "selling" me 100Mbps instead of 30Mbps, but they can still only expect to deliver 20Mbps. On top of that they still get to keep the $$M's in subsidies from the shopping networks. Most people would call this business model fraud.

As it stands now Comcast quarterly profit on broadband is 95-97%. You might well wonder how they can stand in front of FCC Chairman Wheeler, and say with a straight face, that they need to charge more money to improve their network. Oh right... Wheeler used to work for them.
cctvtech and carageuw like this.
post #65 of 88 Old 07-20-2014, 07:06 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I have no cap with my provider (GCI in Anchorage AK) but I am only grandfathered in to that plan. GCI now has data caps. If I change my service, I lose the unlimited.

Kevin
post #66 of 88 Old 07-20-2014, 08:21 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wilkinson View Post

What happens when you exceed your bandwidth cap? Increased cost? Slower speed? Or do you have no cap?

As many of you are painfully aware, some ISPs (Internet service providers) throttle the bandwidth of any subscriber who sends and receives more than a specified amount of data. Typically, the limit is 150 or 250GB per month, which seems like a lot—until you stream a few high-def movies and perform cloud-based backup of your entire hard drive, after which you find yourself slogging along at dial-up speeds or paying much more for your Internet access. With some ISPs that are also content providers, such as telecom and cable companies, accessing their content does not count toward the limit, but venturing outside their ecosystem does.

Does your ISP engage in any of these pernicious practices? If so, what is your limit and what happens when you exceed it?

Like AVS Forum on Facebook
Follow AVS Forum on Twitter
+1 AVS Forum on Google+
I utilize Time Warner as my ISP (cable modem) and for Roadrunner webmail (personal). The limitation that I experience is with my mail box will occasionally max out.
post #67 of 88 Old 07-20-2014, 08:25 PM

running uverse here and they have a 250gb cap in the terms of the plan, but are not enforcing it. I have used Terabytes a month every month for a couple of years now without any issues.
post #68 of 88 Old 07-21-2014, 10:17 AM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 36
On a side note, I just read that FiOS has bumped everyone's upload speed to match your download speed irregardless of what FiOS internet tier you pay for.

http://www.verizon.com/home/fios-fastest-internet/

post #69 of 88 Old 07-21-2014, 12:50 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoKevin View Post
I have no cap with my provider (GCI in Anchorage AK) but I am only grandfathered in to that plan. GCI now has data caps. If I change my service, I lose the unlimited.

Kevin
I had the same issue with GCI when I was living in ANC.
I called in for an unrelated issue one day and got a tech/sales person in a good mood and got me into a new plan with grandfathered "no cap" .
After that every time I had an issue the tech person would comment on my plan and wonder how I got it.

Good luck !
post #70 of 88 Old 07-21-2014, 12:53 PM

I noticed 70 people said "Don't Know" on the poll.

That just really baffles me.
How can they not know unless they are kids and don't pay any of the bills?
post #71 of 88 Old 07-21-2014, 01:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by sealmaniac View Post

I said "Don't know." Let's see if I can explain it to you. I've never been charged or penalized for exceeding a cap, but that doesn't mean there is no cap. There's no reason for me to investigate, to find out if I have a cap. I don't care.

There are so many things in our world that seem baffling at first. You have my sympathy.

Greg Lee
post #72 of 88 Old 07-21-2014, 01:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 221
Quote:

If you think the limit is 150 GB, but never come close to using that amount of data per month then you really can't be sure if there is a limit, whether or not that limit would be enforced if exceeded, or if that enforcement would entail additional charges or cancellation of service. It's like asking your grandma, who only drives 25 mph, if the cops would arrest her for driving 90 mph in a 65 mph zone and what the punishment would be for doing so (fine, loss of license, jail time, etc.). She would probably tell you that she assumes that they would at least pull her over but, as far as the punishment goes, she doesn't really know.
sealmaniac likes this.
post #73 of 88 Old 07-21-2014, 02:26 PM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
I said "Don't know." Let's see if I can explain it to you. I've never been charged or penalized for exceeding a cap, but that doesn't mean there is no cap. There's no reason for me to investigate, to find out if I have a cap. I don't care.

There are so many things in our world that seem baffling at first. You have my sympathy.
I think some voted for "Don't Know" because the question of "Does Your ISP Throttle Your Bandwidth" can be viewed two ways.

1) Those who read a little farther and realized the throttling in the question came after passing a download quota.
2) Those who didn't read Scott's post before voting and thought the throttling was the 'behind-the-scenes' type that is in the news between Netflix & FiOS and the Net Neutrality vote.

I first thought the question was in reference to #2 before reading Scott's post and realizing otherwise.

post #74 of 88 Old 07-21-2014, 04:08 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 42
No, but:
1. I pay for business grade service just to get reasonable service at all.
2. My ISP gives me a slower speed so as not to over tax the weakness in their main connection to the DSLAM giving everyone an equally slow speed. (more fair and honest than the over selling of speed practices of other ISPs that creates extreme slowness during peeks)
3. What I have is the best of the mediocre to bad options available.

Best wishes,
dnoonie

Do you like my Avatar?  See it bigger at ->
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
My other photos,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #75 of 88 Old 07-21-2014, 05:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by aufVidyZen View Post
The thing ISP's are guilty of is "overbooking". This means selling 6Mbps to thousands of subscribers when your network can only support hundreds. That's how broadband networks generate 95% profit margins for AT&T, Comcast, and Verizon. They got away with it until people tried to start using 6Mbps for Netflix, etc. This is a "Come to Jesus moment", and the FCC is trying to hide under a rock.

For cable networks that use HFC (hybrid fiber coax); which is almost every MSO cable company in the US, there are are fixed number of "frequency slots" on the cable network. You can use them for broadband service or you can allocate them to a 24/7 channel that two people are watching but the content providers pony up a chunk of change for. It's "double dipping".

Comcast do not have to roll a single truck, hire a single field technician, to double, triple, quadruple their broadband capacity overnight. Just switch over a couple of shopping channels to broadband capacity. Comcast lobbyists are throwing up a huge amount of FUD to the FCC in the Comcast/T-W acquisition about how they are "struggling" to provide future bandwidth, but it's total BS. It won't cost them a dime, in the end.
All consumer ISPs are oversubscribing. Most of the time it works just fine. U-Verse and FIOS have very low oversubscription ratios such that that will never see congestion as they are currently configured. Cable is heavily oversubscribed, but it has a ton of bandwidth in the first place, so it usually works, although occasionally you hear of a congested node.

There's other things than just shopping channels. Comcast could actually get off their duffs and move to MPEG-4 and upgrade non-860mhz to 860mhz. And if even that's not enough, there's SDV, although that's a kludge at best.
post #76 of 88 Old 07-21-2014, 06:21 PM

Quote:

So you just don't remember what it was or never asked when you signed up for it.
That answer would have been sufficient without the juvenile sarcasm.

Here is my response to the sympathy comment. Ignorance is bliss.
post #77 of 88 Old 07-21-2014, 07:24 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I actually voted for the option: No, I can send and receive an unlimited amount of data

Even though I know U-Verse does have a data cap but I have never seen extra charges. I have heard friends in the neighboring county being regularly charged $30~$50 for being over the cap. Therefore I am not sure about the message said on this board about the data cap being suspended, perhaps suspended in only some areas or perhaps there is some elaborate scheme where only the top x% in the region are targeted.
post #78 of 88 Old 07-22-2014, 08:53 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
I had the same issue with GCI when I was living in ANC.
I called in for an unrelated issue one day and got a tech/sales person in a good mood and got me into a new plan with grandfathered "no cap" .
After that every time I had an issue the tech person would comment on my plan and wonder how I got it.

Good luck !
Now if I could just find that person.

K
post #79 of 88 Old 07-22-2014, 01:57 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 182
FiOS so no cap.... upload and download TB's per month.
In our region Verizon apparently has no way of throttling speed when you're using a VPN.... ? No idea if this is true or not but when using VPN I get 300Mbps up and down. I only pay for 50Mbps. When not connected to VPN I do indeed get my 50Mbps/50Mbps. I should add that I'm by no means the only one.... several family members, friends and many many co-workers have all validated the same results.

Seems to be running slow today.... I'm uploading a ton of stuff to my work which is why upload is so "slow"...

Once my upload finished I'll disconnect from VPN and run it again.....

Here is my FiOS connection while not connected to VPN...

I was wrong about the 50/50 though... other member of my family have 50/50 they only offer 50/25 in my area. Weirdest thing though. I can't see how VPN would have any impact on their throttling.
jhughy2010 likes this.

Last edited by techmattr; 07-23-2014 at 05:23 PM.
post #80 of 88 Old 07-22-2014, 02:31 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Uverse here. 250GB cap, not enforced.
post #81 of 88 Old 07-23-2014, 02:41 PM

Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by skriefal View Post
You can't know that your ISP was throttling anything. Things aren't that simple. It's much more likely that the server was doing the throttling, or that there was no deliberate throttling but instead a routing issue outside your ISP's local network. Everyone wants to blame their ISP when speeds are slow -- and sometimes that blame is warranted. But sometimes it isn't.
When I used my VPN I went from 56k modem speed to full 20Mbps. Someone was throttling and my money is on my ISP.

post #82 of 88 Old 07-23-2014, 03:10 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I have Frontier DSL out here in the middle of nowhere.
They don't have any caps but the speed is only good for 1 person downloading at a time.

If they ever put caps in, there's a WISP in town that offers double the speeds for about the same costs with no caps and no contract.
post #83 of 88 Old 07-23-2014, 03:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Great thread.

On my Comcast account page it states that the Enforcement of the 250GB data consumption threshold is currently suspended.

I used 160GB in April, 144 GB in May and 195GB in June. I have watched about 1 to 2 hours of Netlix superhd about 5 nights per week. I thought I would consequently use a lot more but apparently I'm pretty conservative compared to some others here. If I had an online (UltraViolet) collection I could imagine getting up into the TBs.

Theater set-up:  

AVR:  Pioneer VSX-820

Speakers:  5.1 consists of four NHT Classic Two bookshelf and an NHT TwoC center

Sub:  PSA-XV15

HTPC - ridiculously over-the-top, home-built gaming PC that I tinker with daily!

OTA antenna:  Winegard HD7698P

HDTV:  Sharp LC-60SQ15U

post #84 of 88 Old 07-23-2014, 03:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by robnix View Post
I switched to Comcast Business a few years back. No caps, better support, and faster speeds for a small premium.
Quote:
Originally Posted by techmattr View Post
FiOS so no cap.... upload and download TB's per month.
In our region Verizon apparently has no way of throttling speed when you're using a VPN.... ? No idea if this is true or not but when using VPN I get 300Mbps up and down. I only pay for 50Mbps. When not connected to VPN I do indeed get my 50Mbps/50Mbps. I should add that I'm by no means the only one.... several family members, friends and many many co-workers have all validated the same results.

Seems to be running slow today.... I'm uploading a ton of stuff to my work which is why upload is so "slow"...

Once my upload finished I'll disconnect from VPN and run it again.....
I definitely could use some upload speeds like that. I've found that I have been wanting to watch alot of my movie collection remotely (at work on a slow day) and due to my 25Mbps download and 5Mbps upload from Comcast, I'm only able to set MB3 to 4Mbps stream speed before the movie becomes choppy.

Theater set-up:  

AVR:  Pioneer VSX-820

Speakers:  5.1 consists of four NHT Classic Two bookshelf and an NHT TwoC center

Sub:  PSA-XV15

HTPC - ridiculously over-the-top, home-built gaming PC that I tinker with daily!

OTA antenna:  Winegard HD7698P

HDTV:  Sharp LC-60SQ15U

post #85 of 88 Old 07-23-2014, 05:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by myriadcorp View Post
When I used my VPN I went from 56k modem speed to full 20Mbps. Someone was throttling and my money is on my ISP.
Correction: there was a bottleneck somewhere. Could have been your ISP throttling or the server throttling. Could even have been a problem elsewhere on the path between you and the server (i.e. not deliberate at all). Using the VPN will change how the traffic is routed, which in turn can avoid intermediate problem spots.

I do consider Comcast and others to be "evil" to some degree. But that says nothing about them being responsible for this. Again, these things aren't as simple as most think.
post #86 of 88 Old 07-23-2014, 07:31 PM

Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by skriefal View Post
Correction: there was a bottleneck somewhere. Could have been your ISP throttling or the server throttling. Could even have been a problem elsewhere on the path between you and the server (i.e. not deliberate at all). Using the VPN will change how the traffic is routed, which in turn can avoid intermediate problem spots.

I do consider Comcast and others to be "evil" to some degree. But that says nothing about them being responsible for this. Again, these things aren't as simple as most think.
The reason I claim they cut the speed was the only place that I had a problem was downloading the update from the game provider. I had full speed everywhere else but the update. And at the time I saw many post online about people having trouble getting the update if they were ATT customers. Once I installed the VPN I was full speed.

post #87 of 88 Old 07-23-2014, 08:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Guess I should provide my own input to the poll question. I use Centurylink DSL at 40Mbps down, 5Mbps up. The limit is supposed to be 250GB/month, which I've never hit (I do only light video streaming). So I don't know whether they're enforcing the limit here. And I have not personally encountered anything that would cause me to believe that they're deliberately throttling any traffic. Some occasional Youtube problems, sure, but everyone has those from time to time!
post #88 of 88 Old Yesterday, 04:52 AM

Liked: 0
I use business internet connection from Terago Networks at my office in Toronto. The plan is unlimited bandwidth with 20 Mbps speed. Highly reliable connection with great customer support. No speed reduction after any specific amount of bandwidth usage or extra charges. I think they have limited bandwidth plans also for which they charge extra after allotted bandwidth rather than reducing speed.
Reply Community News & Polls

Tags
frontpage , Polls

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page