Do You Prefer Active or Passive 3D Flat Panels? - Page 2 - AVS Forum
View Poll Results: Do You Prefer Active or Passive 3D Flat Panels?
Active 116 38.16%
Passive 114 37.50%
I hate 3D, so I don't care 48 15.79%
I've never seen a 3D TV 26 8.55%
Voters: 304. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 
 17Likes

Old 07-26-2014, 02:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: Canada - West Island: Vancouver, South Direction: Go East
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2816 Post(s)
Liked: 930
I saw passive (many), I saw active (few), and I went active. ...It has that extra dimension to it, from my own view. ...More like you are there there, inside and outside, all very clear.

Take all the advantages and disadvantages of both passive and active, for each person, and @ the end where it counts the most, on the screen, during normal movie time for most people (evening), considering the glasses or not (light, less light, tra-la-la...), no matter how far or how close you sit, it always boils down to people's own personal vision, their own preference, zone of comfort.

I would like full active 4K (Ultra HD 3D). That's me, my own eyes, my true zone of comfort, my artistic and critical perspective, my own dimensional preferred 3D world.

Last edited by NorthSky; 07-26-2014 at 02:33 AM. Reason: Tra-la-la...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-26-2014, 06:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I have two excellent 3D setups, each with their own strengths (DPI Titan Ref 660 (active) 3D, and Sony's 84" 4K passive 3D). The 3D image displayed on my 12' wide Cinecurve is incredible (no doubt helped by the dual lamp Titan setup (2300 Lum. in 3D), and not tiring at all, BUT you do know you are wearing glasses. The Sony easily provides the more comfortable 3D experience with its passive system, and is plenty bright (unmeasured) to also provide excellent 3D. Between the two, we "slightly" prefer the passive experience, but that bigger screen gets just as much viewing.

Jim
Old 07-26-2014, 04:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post
I'm voting active until such a point in time that I see a UHD/4K passive TV capable of full-resolution 1080p 3D. That's what I get with active glasses and my plasma, and it is the best 3D I have seen so far. I think passive is more comfortable, but active takes greatest advantage of a given TVs resolution.
Same here ...
Old 07-26-2014, 04:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: Canada - West Island: Vancouver, South Direction: Go East
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2816 Post(s)
Liked: 930
Quote:
Originally Posted by JlgLaw View Post
I have two excellent 3D setups, each with their own strengths (DPI Titan Ref 660 (active) 3D, and Sony's 84" 4K passive 3D). The 3D image displayed on my 12' wide Cinecurve is incredible (no doubt helped by the dual lamp Titan setup (2300 Lum. in 3D), and not tiring at all, BUT you do know you are wearing glasses. The Sony easily provides the more comfortable 3D experience with its passive system, and is plenty bright (unmeasured) to also provide excellent 3D. Between the two, we "slightly" prefer the passive experience, but that bigger screen gets just as much viewing.

Jim
Useful info, thx Jim.
Old 07-27-2014, 03:51 AM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Passive when its 1080p per eye.
Old 07-27-2014, 07:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Until I see UHD passive, my vote is active.
Old 07-27-2014, 08:19 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 49
I have active 3D and won't give up half the resolution for passive glasses at home. Now if 4K ever becomes viable price wise passive could be a nice option.
Old 07-27-2014, 01:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Never seen it on TV, we have two 3D Capable HDTVs, I remember I was waiting for Avatar to be released on 3D Blu-ray to buy all the gizmos you need to make it work......and I don't think they ever released it apart from the $100 bundles on ebay....pfffft screw that.

After that 3D didn't really take off so I just forgot about it...I did see Hugo 3D in the theater and thought it was a bit dim, would like to try an IMAX 3D some day. Finding a movie I'm actually interested in watching and is released in IMAX 3D though has been rare..

Old 07-27-2014, 02:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 367 Post(s)
Liked: 579
I see cross talk pretty much constantly on my Panasonic VT60. I'm not a big fan of 3d and have never watched a full movie start-to-finish with passive but I'd probably have to vote passive simply for the reason that cross talk drives me insane.
Old 07-27-2014, 05:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I have 2 Actives and 2 Passives and for the sets I have the Panny 3D Plasma with Active is clearly the best 3D PQ.

Of course if I had a really high quality Passive (I've got a couple of passive 50" LGs) the PQ issue might not be there.

Still on total convenience I voted passive. No battery and on off hassles and even more important to me I can look away at another screen like a PC, tablet or phone.

Passive 3D with 4K, waiting for the right set....

Family DVD Collection
Insider thread last question? R.I.P.
Nothing will ever be attempted if all possible objections must first be overcome.
Samuel Johnson 1709-1784, British Author
Old 07-27-2014, 05:54 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by mightyhuhn View Post
i only care about anime so 3d is totally useless to me and wouldn't watch any movie in 3d.
Cool. I'm extremely glad you let us know.
Old 07-28-2014, 10:14 AM

I'm not a 3D fan. I have a Panasonic 60ST60 but have never used its 3D function.

John
Old 07-28-2014, 10:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by falsedawn View Post
I'm not a 3D fan. I have a Panasonic 60ST60 but have never used its 3D function.
I have the same display, and tried the 3D feature as soon as I had 300 hours on the TV. I used it on a documentary film about a cave in France that had all these pre-historic drawings. It was great! Definitely bumped-up the viewing experience and realism. The picture was somewhat dimmer in 3D, but with the lights turned way down, I quickly grew accustomed. Worthwhile feature for me, and an added bonus to an already outstanding display.
Old 07-28-2014, 01:56 PM

Liked: 11
I purchased my Panasonic plasma mostly for the refresh rate for retro gaming. Framerate still drops occasionally, but no where near as bad as my 60Hz Emerson 32".
The 3D was a bonus! I think it's awesome. The first time viewing a 3D movie, I did notice a slight headache, but I think I was trying to focus too hard. I relaxed the next one and no problems since. Same for my wife.

I wait for blu-rays to go on sale for $25 and under, usually $15-20. To me, that price is worth it.

I like my active. Haven't tried passive.

Panasonic 50" Plasma 3D Smart TV

Panasonic Blu-Ray 3D Smart Player

Built HTPC/Gaming PC (i7 860, SSD, GTX 660 Ti+), Xbox 360, Wii, N64, NES

Nokia Lumia 928 WP8.1

Old 07-28-2014, 02:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by moej View Post
I purchased my Panasonic plasma mostly for the refresh rate for retro gaming. Framerate still drops occasionally, but no where near as bad as my 60Hz Emerson 32".
The 3D was a bonus! I think it's awesome. The first time viewing a 3D movie, I did notice a slight headache, but I think I was trying to focus too hard. I relaxed the next one and no problems since. Same for my wife.

I wait for blu-rays to go on sale for $25 and under, usually $15-20. To me, that price is worth it.

I like my active. Haven't tried passive.
The PQ performance of active shutter 3D beat passive 3D by a country mile, and well worth the small steps needed to use the feature. I've worn eyeglasses since an early age, and wearing these 3D specs over my own glasses is an insignificant problem. In other words, no big deal. Using the right movies and/or video can give you a WOW Factor of 10+ when compared to the 2D version.
moej likes this.
Old 07-28-2014, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cajieboy View Post
The PQ performance of active shutter 3D beat passive 3D by a country mile, and well worth the small steps needed to use the feature. I've worn eyeglasses since an early age, and wearing these 3D specs over my own glasses is an insignificant problem. In other words, no big deal. Using the right movies and/or video can give you a WOW Factor of 10+ when compared to the 2D version.
I'm with you on the glasses thing. Wearing them over my prescription glasses isnt a problem. I just hope they keep producing movies. I also hope that they don't make watered down 3d.
I want to try 3d gaming soon. Gaming PC will be htpc soon and will have to give it a go.

Panasonic 50" Plasma 3D Smart TV

Panasonic Blu-Ray 3D Smart Player

Built HTPC/Gaming PC (i7 860, SSD, GTX 660 Ti+), Xbox 360, Wii, N64, NES

Nokia Lumia 928 WP8.1

Old 07-28-2014, 04:56 PM

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by hauz20 View Post
Quote:
i only care about anime so 3d is totally useless to me and wouldn't watch any movie in 3d.

Cool. I'm extremely glad you let us know.

Well if mightyhuhn only cares about anime it might be of interest to him/her to know that practically all anime in recent years has been released in a stereoscopic 3D version.

(It is relatively easy with computerised animations to render an additional view from a slightly different virtual camera position a bit to the left or a bit to the right, providing a good stereoscopic effect.)

This has nothing much to do with active vs passive 3D panels but it does correct any misunderstanding about anime. As I say, 3D is the norm for anime these days.
Old 07-28-2014, 06:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I'm with you on the glasses thing. Wearing them over my prescription glasses isnt a problem. I just hope they keep producing movies. I also hope that they don't make watered down 3d.
I want to try 3d gaming soon. Gaming PC will be htpc soon and will have to give it a go.
There are already some messed-up looking 3D flicks out there in the marketplace. Just like anything else, you need to choose wisely when you purchase or rent a 3D flick. Right now, the best 3D movie I've seen lately has been "Gravity". An excellent flick already, Gravity is enhanced even more in the 3D version. Highly recommended.
moej likes this.
Old 07-28-2014, 06:37 PM

I used to prefer active until I experienced passive 3d on a 4k UHD panel...You get all the benefits of passive 3D, you retain full HD 1080p 3D and go beyond it as well..I did extensive testing on 3d using various PC games.. On my LG UB8500 UHD set running the game title "THEIF 2014" in 2160p 3D looked far better than 1080p 3D..the level of detail, sharpness and 3D depth/popout was superior. My observation so far is 3d at 4k looks 4k despite the fact that the vertical resolution is cut in half ..The horizontal lines that are polarized for the 3d effect are so small you cannot distinguish them and your brain processes them together..Technically there is a resolution loss but it is not noticeable..the 3d at 4k really does look 4k... I was not expecting that when I made this purchase, nice bonus....
EscapeVelocity likes this.

Last edited by Heeman; 07-28-2014 at 06:42 PM.
Old 07-28-2014, 11:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked: 175
Im voting passive. But Im not a fan of 3D.

Samsung 51F8500 Plasma / Vizio M422i LCD / Vizio GV42LF LCD / Vizio VP322 Plasma
Sony S790 BD / Panasonic BDT220 BD / Roku 2 XS & HD-XR
Oppo 983H Anchor Bay / Denon 2200 Silicon Image / Panasonic S97 Faroudja Genesis / Oppo 970HD Mediatek
Panasonic LX-600 Laserdisc / Aiwa MX100 Multi-region VCR / JVC S7600 S-VHS
Panasonic AX-200u / Optoma Graywolf 92" / Draper Luma 92"
Old 07-29-2014, 06:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeVelocity View Post
Im voting passive. But Im not a fan of 3D.
Did you know there are two other categories to vote for those people that are not fans of 3D?
Old 07-29-2014, 07:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heeman View Post
I used to prefer active until I experienced passive 3d on a 4k UHD panel...You get all the benefits of passive 3D, you retain full HD 1080p 3D and go beyond it as well..I did extensive testing on 3d using various PC games.. On my LG UB8500 UHD set running the game title "THEIF 2014" in 2160p 3D looked far better than 1080p 3D..the level of detail, sharpness and 3D depth/popout was superior. My observation so far is 3d at 4k looks 4k despite the fact that the vertical resolution is cut in half ..The horizontal lines that are polarized for the 3d effect are so small you cannot distinguish them and your brain processes them together..Technically there is a resolution loss but it is not noticeable..the 3d at 4k really does look 4k... I was not expecting that when I made this purchase, nice bonus....
The huge jump in rez is one of the big reasons I've supported 4K from the beginning. I just didn't know if passive 3D would the best PQ. I still don't know because I've yet to compare the two. All of my experiences are derived from 1080p, and since this is the "norm" for most everyone at this time it is 1080p I refer.

We're at the very beginning of seeing 4K displays, but has anyone considered what 8K will do visually? Japan has already been experiencing and developing 8K, and this will produce the next big step in the viewing experience, which will be "virtual reality".
Old 07-29-2014, 10:01 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
3D gaming on a PS3 is a blast. Unfortunately, a 3D PS3 game hasn't been released in quite awhile. The 3D PS3 market looks dead . I have no idea how the 3D PC gaming market is.

Nothing in this posting/signature really means anything in the long run.
Old 07-30-2014, 01:19 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Active 3D For Me

I feel like I've been spoiled since adopting 3D into my A/V system. I've owned two Samsung active 3D tv sets and the glasses were always comfortable, a tad heavier than sun glasses but they didn't come anywhere near hurting.

Now I'm currently using an Optoma DLP projector and I had a few concerns about the DLP link glasses at first, but having now actually used them I can say that I continue to be spoiled.

I've never experienced flicker with the Samsung RF glasses except when looking at an LCD screen like the one on my cable box. The DLP's are even better...I can see no flicker whatsoever no matter what I look at, no red/white flash no "mirage", no sync issues even when turn my head...no problems at all. The lenses do get fairly dark but that can be compensated for during PQ calibration.

The glasses are also very comfortable with a soft rubber nose pad, I sometimes forget that I'm wearing them during a movie.

The only problem I've ever had (excluding the prices for the glasses) was excessive ghosting and that was with my first Samsung. The second tv exhibited considerably less ghosting and now with DLP tech, visible ghosting is a thing of the past.

Those things being said, the only problem I have with passive is the drop in res. Other than that it's pretty solid tech.
Old 07-31-2014, 10:08 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I've only ever had passive...

...so I don't know what active would really be like. I do know there is a huge difference between in store and in home appearance, so would've I liked - or bought - an active if I could have gotten the same size at the same price? I think so. 3D was a major factor in finally buying one and the little 3D I have actually watched has made me realize this was the feature I waited for - whether it's the best version of it or not, I don't know.
Old 07-31-2014, 10:28 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 323 Post(s)
Liked: 164
Active is Far Superior

No disrespect to anyone here but the pole showing even between Active and Passive 3D was laughable (IMO) because while it's understandable why some people might like Passive over Active they most likely don't understand the technology. You lose so much with Passive in terms of HD resolution and viewing angles. LG's video on their "Cinema 3D" vs. Active Shutter makes good points about Passive but it's very misleading making the consumer think they are taking a huge loss with Active Shutter when it's just the opposite. Neither technology is perfect but Active is far superior than Passive with almost no loss in PQ or resolution.

cajieboy likes this.
Old 08-02-2014, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLdan View Post
No disrespect to anyone here but the pole showing even between Active and Passive 3D was laughable (IMO) because while it's understandable why some people might like Passive over Active they most likely don't understand the technology. You lose so much with Passive in terms of HD resolution and viewing angles.
Many of the people in this thread have referred to 4K displays, HLdan. It would appear to be the premium way to view 3D in the home. The only notable disadvantage is viewing angle. Vertical viewing angle is indeed critical. But as long as the display is at the appropriate height for your seating position, ghosting should be minimal.

A 4K display, with a 2160 line film-type patterned retarder, leads to no visible black horizontal lines at normal viewing distances, no loss in vertical detail when displaying today's Full HD 3D Blu-rays, very low ghosting, high brightness and contrast, and none of the Left Right timing phase discrepancy of active technology, which is typically provided with shutter glasses operating at only 120Hz [even though the screen may blank at a higher rate].

In my opinion, it is currently the premium method for viewing 3D in the home using a flat panel. The only drawback other than viewing angle that I can identify, is that these types of screens are currently still quite pricey.

(An arguably better 3D technology at this time in the home is a high performance Digital Light Projector because of the even lower ghosting possible; and provided the alternation rate is at least 144Hz. But this thread is about flat panels.)

Last edited by MLXXX; 08-02-2014 at 06:43 AM.
Old 08-02-2014, 07:04 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLXXX View Post
(An arguably better 3D technology at this time in the home is a high performance Digital Light Projector because of the even lower ghosting possible; and provided the alternation rate is at least 144Hz. But this thread is about flat panels.)
this thread is about 3d not panel types so i don't see a no problem with talking about projector 3d
Old 08-02-2014, 07:39 AM

Quote:
this thread is about 3d not panel types so i don't see a no problem with talking about projector 3d
It's probably up to the opening poster but I note the thread topic is actually: Do You Prefer Active or Passive 3D Flat Panels?

Projectors are a different ball game as between passive and active technology because passive projectors can be akin to active flat panel (RealD cinema which alternates the polarisation) or can be very similar to passive flat panel (using two projectors simultaneously with fixed polarisation) but there are no missing horizontal lines. Then there is what type of polarisation (circular as used for RealD or linear as can be used for IMAX.)

A huge limitation of today's home 3D projectors, in my opinion, is the typical 120Hz alternation rate. On a big screen I find that a real issue.

Personally, I think 3D issues as regards projectors are a separate discussion to 3D issues as regards flat panels.
Old 08-03-2014, 09:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLdan View Post
No disrespect to anyone here but the pole showing even between Active and Passive 3D was laughable (IMO) because while it's understandable why some people might like Passive over Active they most likely don't understand the technology. You lose so much with Passive in terms of HD resolution and viewing angles. LG's video on their "Cinema 3D" vs. Active Shutter makes good points about Passive but it's very misleading making the consumer think they are taking a huge loss with Active Shutter when it's just the opposite. Neither technology is perfect but Active is far superior than Passive with almost no loss in PQ or resolution.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HaMqR_cY9g8
I think the Poll reflects more of ownership than actual preference to 3D quality. Many more people own LCD/LED, and have only experienced the Passive 3D in their homes. Thus, people only vote with what they know. One poster stated that he doesn't even like or watch 3D, but voted Passive anyway. Go figure. It's not a contest.

Tags
frontpage , Polls