HT of the Month: Humble Hangout - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 119Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #31 of 151 Old 08-05-2014, 01:12 PM
Member
 
Gorilla Killa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Signal Mtn
Posts: 120
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Wow! I printed out a pic and hung it in my dedicated room(not yet started) so it knows what to look like when it grows up. From the reviews it sounds better than it looks, which must be amazing.
Gorilla Killa is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #32 of 151 Old 08-05-2014, 01:36 PM
AVS Special Member
 
javanpohl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 1,119
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 116
Damn, I disappointed to see that the LCRs weren't DIY. I am starting to contemplate building a DIY set of higherer-end speakers. I basically want Triad Golds but... cheaper. The speakers he's got there cost just about as much as the Golds do. Bummer
javanpohl is offline  
post #33 of 151 Old 08-05-2014, 01:38 PM
AVS Special Member
 
javanpohl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 1,119
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 116
Do the subs move those ceiling panels? That's always been my concern with drop ceilings. And how well do they keep the sound from going upstairs?
javanpohl is offline  
post #34 of 151 Old 08-05-2014, 02:03 PM
Say No to Auto EQ
 
beastaudio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Western NC
Posts: 8,113
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 907 Post(s)
Liked: 992
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorilla Killa View Post
Wow! I printed out a pic and hung it in my dedicated room(not yet started) so it knows what to look like when it grows up. From the reviews it sounds better than it looks, which must be amazing.
Glad you found some inspiration, but with your stated AVS forum name, and the guy's theater this thread is about, I might hesitate to invite you over if I were Andrew (Gorilla) Haha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by javanpohl View Post
Damn, I disappointed to see that the LCRs weren't DIY. I am starting to contemplate building a DIY set of higherer-end speakers. I basically want Triad Golds but... cheaper. The speakers he's got there cost just about as much as the Golds do. Bummer
You can find the Yorks for a steal used lots of times. They are a really impressive speaker, without a doubt
javanpohl likes this.

(European models do not accept banana plugs.)

 

"If you done it, it ain't bragging." ~ Walt Whitman

 

AE TD12x SEOS12 Build

Beast's DIY Master Measurement Thread

DIY Emminence Coaxial Surround Thread

beastaudio is online now  
post #35 of 151 Old 08-05-2014, 02:49 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Gorilla83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Delaware County, PA
Posts: 3,590
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked: 406
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff in Canada View Post
Congratulations and well deserved. Also, always someone who answers PM's and offers advice. Much appreciated.
Thanks much, Jeff!

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjuan View Post
I may have missed this information, but what are the dimensions of the basement?
Listening area is roughly 13x22, bar area width varies from 15-19 wide, and another 24' deep. Bar+ viewing area 13-19' wide, 46' deep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorilla Killa View Post
Wow! I printed out a pic and hung it in my dedicated room(not yet started) so it knows what to look like when it grows up. From the reviews it sounds better than it looks, which must be amazing.
Thanks for the complements!

I agree with Beast though, what's up with the screen name??

Quote:
Originally Posted by javanpohl View Post
Damn, I disappointed to see that the LCRs weren't DIY. I am starting to contemplate building a DIY set of higherer-end speakers. I basically want Triad Golds but... cheaper. The speakers he's got there cost just about as much as the Golds do. Bummer
Beast @beastaudio is correct (above). I bought mine used as you can often find very good bargains for these. I couldn't have built them for what I paid for them so it didn't make sense to DIY for these guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by javanpohl View Post
Do the subs move those ceiling panels? That's always been my concern with drop ceilings. And how well do they keep the sound from going upstairs?
No movement with the ceiling panels. They provide sound absorption though, not sound isolation. To stop the immense amount of pressure in my room would probably require concrete walls 4' thick.
javanpohl likes this.
Gorilla83 is online now  
post #36 of 151 Old 08-05-2014, 02:51 PM
AVS Special Member
 
carp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 5,613
Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 650 Post(s)
Liked: 607
Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post
Glad you found some inspiration, but with your stated AVS forum name, and the guy's theater this thread is about, I might hesitate to invite you over if I were Andrew (Gorilla) Haha.

Haha, that's what I was thinking.

Great to see your room as HT of the month Andrew! I remember when I first ran into you on AVS you were cranking 2 new ported Captivators upstairs and the downstairs wasn't an HT yet or at least not much of one. Wow man, what a transformation that room has gone through!

People can't tell from the pictures how great that room is for hanging out/GTG's. The whole back half of the room is huge and has a large bar area for hanging out BS-ing while others are up front enjoying the show. Still, I think most DIY guys would take your work shed over your basement!!
carp is online now  
post #37 of 151 Old 08-05-2014, 04:32 PM
AVS Special Member
 
NWCgrad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Frederick, MD
Posts: 1,106
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked: 157
The workshed was definitely impressive. If I wasn't in a townhouse I would be talking about designing and building a bunch of ported subs tuned deeeeeep. In a townhouse they would just get me in the doghouse with the neighbors.

Current Gear: PJ – BenQ PE7700; Receiver - Onkyo TX-SR805; Blu Ray - OppoBDP 103; Turntable - Dual CS-515 w/ Ortofon Super OM10; Amplifiers - OdysseyKhartago, Adcom GFA555, QSC RMX 1850HD; PEQ - Behringer FBD2496 [Near FieldSub], miniDSP 2×4 [Flanking Subs], REW; Speakers - 4 Pi (w/B&C DE250/JBL2226H) × 3 [LCR], Yamaha Crap × 2 [surrounds], Exodus Audio Maelstrom-X18" sealed sub [near field sub], LAB-12 based ported sub tuned to 22 Hz x2 [flanking subs, XO set at 40 Hz]
NWCgrad is online now  
post #38 of 151 Old 08-05-2014, 06:19 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Gorilla83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Delaware County, PA
Posts: 3,590
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked: 406
Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post
Haha, that's what I was thinking.

Great to see your room as HT of the month Andrew! I remember when I first ran into you on AVS you were cranking 2 new ported Captivators upstairs and the downstairs wasn't an HT yet or at least not much of one. Wow man, what a transformation that room has gone through!

People can't tell from the pictures how great that room is for hanging out/GTG's. The whole back half of the room is huge and has a large bar area for hanging out BS-ing while others are up front enjoying the show. Still, I think most DIY guys would take your work shed over your basement!!
Thanks Carp! I forgot about listing the bar in the description, but here are a few shots - these pictures are crap compared to Mark's


Rear area behind the theater:


Front shot looking back:


Quote:
Originally Posted by NWCgrad View Post
The workshed was definitely impressive. If I wasn't in a townhouse I would be talking about designing and building a bunch of ported subs tuned deeeeeep. In a townhouse they would just get me in the doghouse with the neighbors.
Do it up!!
NWCgrad likes this.
Gorilla83 is online now  
post #39 of 151 Old 08-05-2014, 08:57 PM
Senior Member
 
WebEffect's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 397
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I'm confused about a home theater based around an Epson projector being featured. Wasn't this supposed to be Home Theater of the Month and not "Office Powerpoint Presentation of the Month"?
WebEffect is offline  
post #40 of 151 Old 08-05-2014, 09:10 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Writer @ AVS
 
imagic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 6,406
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1737 Post(s)
Liked: 3072
Quote:
Originally Posted by WebEffect View Post
I'm confused about a home theater based around an Epson projector being featured. Wasn't this supposed to be Home Theater of the Month and not "Office Powerpoint Presentation of the Month"?
Open your mind.
popalock likes this.

Find out more about Mark Henninger at www.imagicdigital.com
imagic is online now  
post #41 of 151 Old 08-05-2014, 09:34 PM
AVS Special Member
 
lbrown105's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 1,031
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by WebEffect View Post
I'm confused about a home theater based around an Epson projector being featured. Wasn't this supposed to be Home Theater of the Month and not "Office Powerpoint Presentation of the Month"?
I am sure you wouldn't be confused for long if you were there to see/hear it.

Pre-Pro: Emotiva XMC-1, DSP: Mini DSP 2x4 balanced
Amplifier: Sunfire TGA7400, Lab Gruppen FP10000Q
Speakers: JTR Noesis 212HT (LCR), JTR Slant 8's (surrounds), 3 Orbit Shifter LFU's
Sources: PS3, HTPC, Dish Network
Projector: Epson 8350
Screen: Seymour XD AT 138" diagonal 16:9
lbrown105 is offline  
post #42 of 151 Old 08-05-2014, 10:00 PM
Senior Member
 
BRAD S's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Mason City, Iowa
Posts: 202
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Congratulations Andrew!
Gorilla83 likes this.
BRAD S is offline  
post #43 of 151 Old 08-05-2014, 10:06 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
craig john's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Lancaster, PA
Posts: 10,389
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 363
I have been in Andrew's theater and I can unequivocally state that it was the most intense Home Theater experience I have ever personally had! I still get goose bumps thinking about that Metallica concert at +15! Those Yorkville speakers are absolutely unbelievable. I have never experienced a speaker that can play that loud... and still maintain its' composure. And those DIY subs are totally, unbelievably phenomenal. The bass just absolutely POUNDED without ever exhibiting any signs of distress or distortion. I've never heard bass that loud with that low level of distortion. And the acoustic treatments Andrew has done simply *work* to tame the whole room and allow the performance of the system to shine through. The accolades he's receiving here are absolutely well-deserved and well-earned. Congratulations Andrew.. well done indeed!

While I was there, I also got a tour of Andrew's shop. If you are the owner of a "Man Card," you can't help but be impressed with what Andrew has put together in his workshop. Tim The Toolman, (remember him?), would be green with envy! The sawdust removal system alone is a work of art. The vacuum hold-down system for the CNC machine is another mind-boggling machine. The whole thing just makes me want to build something.... To top it off, the workshop has been acoustically treated!!!


Andrew, the HT of the Month Award could not have been given to anyone more deserving than you. Your HT is certainly not the most expensive or elaborate on the forum. Yet, I doubt that there are more than a handful of AVS HT's that can rival the "goose-bump-inducing" capability of your HT. If there were an award for "Goosebumps/$$$" you would win, hands down!



Craig
carp, Archaea, MIkeDuke and 2 others like this.

Lombardi said it:
Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence."

My System

craig john is offline  
post #44 of 151 Old 08-05-2014, 11:34 PM
AVS Special Member
 
carp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 5,613
Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 650 Post(s)
Liked: 607
Quote:
Originally Posted by WebEffect View Post
I'm confused about a home theater based around an Epson projector being featured. Wasn't this supposed to be Home Theater of the Month and not "Office Powerpoint Presentation of the Month"?

Haha, I think I get spoiled by the guys I interact often with on AVS. Every now and then I get a reminder ^ that many on AVS do not have social skills.
audioguy, Archaea, RMK! and 1 others like this.
carp is online now  
post #45 of 151 Old 08-06-2014, 06:11 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Sibuna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Western NY
Posts: 2,233
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked: 329
Quote:
Originally Posted by WebEffect View Post
I'm confused about a home theater based around an Epson projector being featured. Wasn't this supposed to be Home Theater of the Month and not "Office Powerpoint Presentation of the Month"?


Epson makes some fantastic HT PJs
http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/j...seBVCookie=yes
javanpohl likes this.
Sibuna is online now  
post #46 of 151 Old 08-06-2014, 06:20 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Gorilla83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Delaware County, PA
Posts: 3,590
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked: 406
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRAD S View Post
Congratulations Andrew!
Thanks Brad!

Quote:
Originally Posted by craig john View Post

Andrew, the HT of the Month Award could not have been given to anyone more deserving than you. Your HT is certainly not the most expensive or elaborate on the forum. Yet, I doubt that there are more than a handful of AVS HT's that can rival the "goose-bump-inducing" capability of your HT. If there were an award for "Goosebumps/$$$" you would win, hands down!



Craig
Craig - Thank you very much! I think you're long overdue for one of the next featured theaters. And I've GOT to get up to see your place soon.
Gorilla83 is online now  
post #47 of 151 Old 08-06-2014, 07:26 AM
Advanced Member
 
mhrischuk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Garnet Valley, Pa.
Posts: 736
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 74
The joke is those Yorkvilles running at +15 on 850 watts.
I was there, I was blown away. I grew up loving loud accurate sound. I'm 55 and this is beyond a doubt the best in a home setup that I have ever heard.

No doubt all the work Andrew did acoustically to the room makes the sound. I know cause I have gone through a few different high end speakers in my untreated room and found that everytime we played them in Andrews room they sounded incredible, but not so in mine.

What he's done with the CNC shop also is a great work of the man. Clean, organized and just puts out.

I'm just happy I live just a few miles from him!

When leaving his place he commented to me...."We need to get you into pro audio".

Just might be in my future.

Thank you Mark for the recognition Andrew's home theater deserves. I am sure some will be skeptical... especially people who have laid out many times more into their theaters and also the high end vendors. Everything has it's place.

Listen to the reaction after hearing this drum solo.....

Andrew's CNC
Gorilla83 likes this.

See My System Here
 
"Wolves don't lose sleep over the opinions of sheep."
mhrischuk is online now  
post #48 of 151 Old 08-06-2014, 07:39 AM
Advanced Member
 
mhrischuk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Garnet Valley, Pa.
Posts: 736
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by WebEffect View Post
I'm confused about a home theater based around an Epson projector being featured. Wasn't this supposed to be Home Theater of the Month and not "Office Powerpoint Presentation of the Month"?
Video..... quality not even a thought while watching. Great picture... sharp, bright and great color.

I think this system is built around the sound more than around the projector.
Gorilla83 likes this.

See My System Here
 
"Wolves don't lose sleep over the opinions of sheep."
mhrischuk is online now  
post #49 of 151 Old 08-06-2014, 07:49 AM
AVS Special Member
 
JimWilson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Somewhere in New Joisey
Posts: 4,778
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked: 427
Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post
Haha, I think I get spoiled by the guys I interact often with on AVS. Every now and then I get a reminder ^ that many on AVS do not have social skills.

Or any idea of what they're talking about for that matter.
audioguy, carp and Gorilla83 like this.

If you take yourself too seriously expect me to do the exact opposite
JimWilson is online now  
post #50 of 151 Old 08-06-2014, 08:10 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Reefdvr27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Cape May, NJ
Posts: 3,228
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 835 Post(s)
Liked: 555
Nice, nobody deserves this badge more than Andrew. Congrats
Gorilla83 likes this.
Reefdvr27 is offline  
post #51 of 151 Old 08-06-2014, 08:20 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Archaea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Kansas City, MO
Posts: 6,588
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 727 Post(s)
Liked: 873
Gorilla83's recognition for this HTotM is well deserved, not only for such a great, constantly evolving, space (as those who have visited will attest), but because he's one of the most helpful, cool, and friendly guys on this forum. Even though I live in the midwest, and have only met him through AVS, we've become buds. I think a lot of the AVS enthusiasts from all over the 'continent' could say the same. Hats off to you Andrew! Congrats and Best Wishes!
Gorilla83 likes this.

"Without subs it's just background music - with subs it's the main event!"
Archaea's Theatre Room
2011 KC Sub Shootout
2012 KC Blind Sub Shootout
My Subwoofer Recommendations by Pricepoint
Archaea is online now  
post #52 of 151 Old 08-06-2014, 08:47 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Gorilla83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Delaware County, PA
Posts: 3,590
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked: 406
Quote:
Originally Posted by WebEffect View Post
I'm confused about a home theater based around an Epson projector being featured. Wasn't this supposed to be Home Theater of the Month and not "Office Powerpoint Presentation of the Month"?
But what if I want to use the room for office work as well? Does this mean it can become a tax writeoff? Dual purpose, win!!

Seriously though, when I think of a 'theater' I think of it as of a collection of gear, not individual pieces. If you look at my equipment list, much of the gear is certainly not what an audiophile would select - yet I and others who have taken the time to come over for a demo believe that it works quite well. I'm not sure if you've ever seen or used the 8700UB, but I really like the projector, especially now with the black ceiling. When the time comes to upgrade, I will, but for now I'm happy with it.
carp and cardoski like this.
Gorilla83 is online now  
post #53 of 151 Old 08-06-2014, 08:51 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Gorilla83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Delaware County, PA
Posts: 3,590
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked: 406
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhrischuk View Post
The joke is those Yorkvilles running at +15 on 850 watts.
I was there, I was blown away. I grew up loving loud accurate sound. I'm 55 and this is beyond a doubt the best in a home setup that I have ever heard.

No doubt all the work Andrew did acoustically to the room makes the sound. I know cause I have gone through a few different high end speakers in my untreated room and found that everytime we played them in Andrews room they sounded incredible, but not so in mine.

What he's done with the CNC shop also is a great work of the man. Clean, organized and just puts out.

I'm just happy I live just a few miles from him!

When leaving his place he commented to me...."We need to get you into pro audio".

Just might be in my future.

Thank you Mark for the recognition Andrew's home theater deserves. I am sure some will be skeptical... especially people who have laid out many times more into their theaters and also the high end vendors. Everything has it's place.

Listen to the reaction after hearing this drum solo.....
http://youtu.be/yoeLS2EBrWg

Andrew's CNC
http://youtu.be/IWOzkrk1PF0
Many thanks, Mike. I'm glad to have met so many local cool guys like you who make the hobby so fun. Thanks for coming by last weekend and thanks for the videos and pictures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefdvr27 View Post
Nice, nobody deserves this badge more than Andrew. Congrats
Big thanks, Dave. Can't wait to see your room very soon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Gorilla83's recognition for this HTotM is well deserved, not only for such a great, constantly evolving, space (as those who have visited will attest), but because he's one of the most helpful, cool, and friendly guys on this forum. Even though I live in the midwest, and have only met him through AVS, we've become buds. I think a lot of the AVS enthusiasts from all over the 'continent' could say the same. Hats off to you Andrew! Congrats and Best Wishes!
I've got to say - much of what I have set up now can be attributed to many conversations with this guy. Jonathan got me started with my first set of 'real' (JTR) subwoofers and it kind of spiraled out of control from there. Thanks man, your spotlight is long overdue as well.
Gorilla83 is online now  
post #54 of 151 Old 08-06-2014, 10:00 AM
Member
 
Gorilla Killa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Signal Mtn
Posts: 120
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 49
[QUOTE=Gorilla83;26318041]Thanks much, Jeff!








Thanks for the complements!

I agree with Beast though, what's up with the screen name??


LOL, Ive had that nickname for about 12 yrs now in the stone industry. In a nutshell I destroyed 2 seam pullers(for stone counters) that are called Gorilla Grips, thus the name Gorilla Killa. Nothing better than being at a trade show and your peers knowing you by that name instead of your given, which is Jeff.:-)


Im jealous and inspired!
Gorilla83 likes this.
Gorilla Killa is online now  
post #55 of 151 Old 08-06-2014, 10:03 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Reefdvr27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Cape May, NJ
Posts: 3,228
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 835 Post(s)
Liked: 555
[quote=WebEffect;26327001] I'm confused about a home theater based around an Epson projector being featured. Wasn't this supposed to be Home Theater of the Month and not "Office Powerpoint Presentation of the Month"?[/quote @WebEffect
I actually read back on some of your post and this seems to be your thing. Rather than leave a compliment for the selected recipient of HTOM, you offend or insult the people that worked hard to build their theater. This is the second time you have insulted someone I know and I don't care for it. Each month the editors of AVS walk us inside someones theater and show the many different sides of home theater. We have seen big, small, big budget, low budget, DIY and everything in between. I myself enjoy each month reading and seeing the many different home theaters from the AVS community. It is a real shame that you find fault in all the hard work these guys did to build what they like and consider to be a nice home theater. There is more than a projector that makes a home theater.
audioguy, craig john and Archaea like this.
Reefdvr27 is offline  
post #56 of 151 Old 08-06-2014, 10:21 AM
Bass Enabler
 
Scott Simonian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Clovis, CA
Posts: 14,317
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 862 Post(s)
Liked: 1033
Congrats, Andrew! Your theater has come a long, long way since I first saw it a year or so back.

Definitely deserve to be HTotM, for sure.

Plus your CNC system is epically (is that a word? It is now) cool.


Gotta love the comment of Epson UB projector being a "powerpoint" device. Umm, yeah.

My Dual 18" LLT subs 120dB down to 10hz

 

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

https://soundcloud.com/plan9reloaded/sets/podcast - direct pod link

http://plan9reloaded.com/site/ - main website

Scott Simonian is online now  
post #57 of 151 Old 08-06-2014, 10:38 AM
Senior Member
 
erhurd's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: San Diego County, southern California, USA, Planet Earth
Posts: 481
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 41
I would also join in to applaud your effort, Gorilla83; great job! I enjoyed viewing the great photos in the well-written article as well.

Edwin R. Hurd
AVS Forums Lurker-In-Training!

My Tight-space A/V Setup
erhurd is online now  
post #58 of 151 Old 08-06-2014, 10:43 AM
Advanced Member
 
blah450's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 910
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorilla83 View Post
But what if I want to use the room for office work as well? Does this mean it can become a tax writeoff? Dual purpose, win!!

Seriously though, when I think of a 'theater' I think of it as of a collection of gear, not individual pieces. If you look at my equipment list, much of the gear is certainly not what an audiophile would select - yet I and others who have taken the time to come over for a demo believe that it works quite well. I'm not sure if you've ever seen or used the 8700UB, but I really like the projector, especially now with the black ceiling. When the time comes to upgrade, I will, but for now I'm happy with it.
Absolutely well said, sir. Congrats on the HTOTM.

I had to bail on this most recent GTG, but will make it to your place sometime soon I hope!
blah450 is offline  
post #59 of 151 Old 08-06-2014, 11:28 AM
AVS Special Member
 
audioguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Not far from Atlanta - but far enough!
Posts: 3,509
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked: 311
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sibuna View Post
This is so very true, Pretty positive that Metallica at +18 over ref is the loudest thing ive ever heard inside a house that did not sound awful. simply an amazing amount of headroom there
18 OVER reference!! Ouch!! I may (or may not) have that kind of headroom but i sure would not want to be in the room when it was playing. Seriously? 18 OVER ?? Wowzer !!

Nice HT Mr. Gorilla!! Very nice!!
audioguy is online now  
post #60 of 151 Old 08-06-2014, 12:56 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Archaea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Kansas City, MO
Posts: 6,588
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 727 Post(s)
Liked: 873
I think we only went to a calculated 17 over reference in dlbecks old theater --- right desertdome? If so -- we've gotta get to 19 -- reclaim that midwest record!!!

It can be like the stadium dB wars
popalock likes this.

"Without subs it's just background music - with subs it's the main event!"
Archaea's Theatre Room
2011 KC Sub Shootout
2012 KC Blind Sub Shootout
My Subwoofer Recommendations by Pricepoint
Archaea is online now  
Reply Community News & Polls

Tags
frontpage

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off