HT of the Month: Humble Hangout - Page 3 - AVS Forum

AVS Forum > News Forum > Community News & Polls > HT of the Month: Humble Hangout

Community News & Polls

Scott Simonian's Avatar Scott Simonian
01:03 PM Liked: 1153
post #61 of 151
08-06-2014 | Posts: 14,661
Joined: Oct 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
I think we only went to a calculated 17 over reference in dlbecks old theater --- right desertdome? If so -- we've gotta get to 19 -- reclaim that midwest record!!!

It can be like the stadium dB wars
Yup! I need to catch up. Make California an island and push it to 20dB over reference.
Gorilla83's Avatar Gorilla83
01:14 PM Liked: 452
post #62 of 151
08-06-2014 | Posts: 3,635
Joined: Aug 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
I think we only went to a calculated 17 over reference in dlbecks old theater --- right desertdome? If so -- we've gotta get to 19 -- reclaim that midwest record!!!

It can be like the stadium dB wars
Challenge accepted. My receiver volume was maxed out at that point so I'll have to run the mains a bit hot.
Gorilla83's Avatar Gorilla83
01:16 PM Liked: 452
post #63 of 151
08-06-2014 | Posts: 3,635
Joined: Aug 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Simonian View Post
Congrats, Andrew! Your theater has come a long, long way since I first saw it a year or so back.

Definitely deserve to be HTotM, for sure.

Plus your CNC system is epically (is that a word? It is now) cool.

Gotta love the comment of Epson UB projector being a "powerpoint" device. Umm, yeah.
Thanks Scott, looking forward to your visit one day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by erhurd View Post
I would also join in to applaud your effort, Gorilla83; great job! I enjoyed viewing the great photos in the well-written article as well.
Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blah450 View Post
Absolutely well said, sir. Congrats on the HTOTM.

I had to bail on this most recent GTG, but will make it to your place sometime soon I hope!
Thanks Richard. No worries about last weekend, but you did miss a good time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy View Post
18 OVER reference!! Ouch!! I may (or may not) have that kind of headroom but i sure would not want to be in the room when it was playing. Seriously? 18 OVER ?? Wowzer !!

Nice HT Mr. Gorilla!! Very nice!!
The track we were playing was addicting with higher volumes - it was impossible not to crank it.
Archaea's Avatar Archaea
01:47 PM Liked: 972
post #64 of 151
08-06-2014 | Posts: 6,871
Joined: Apr 2004
Which track was it?
Gorilla83's Avatar Gorilla83
01:52 PM Liked: 452
post #65 of 151
08-06-2014 | Posts: 3,635
Joined: Aug 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Which track was it?
"One" from Metallica's Through the never blu ray. I'm sure @carp is more than familiar already.
craig john's Avatar craig john
02:02 PM Liked: 392
post #66 of 151
08-06-2014 | Posts: 10,427
Joined: Oct 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorilla83 View Post
"One" from Metallica's Through the never blu ray. I'm sure @carp is more than familiar already.
I had mistakenly taken that disc home to my place when I was at Andrew's a few weeks earlier. I mailed it back to him so he would have it for the GTG. Glad I did as others got to experience what I experienced with that disc, (although when I was there we "only" listened at +15! )

Since then, I have purchased a copy of Through The Never in 3D. I'm not a big Metallica fan, but that's a pretty fun concert! The 3D adds another level of incredibleness.

Craig
JimWilson's Avatar JimWilson
02:07 PM Liked: 461
post #67 of 151
08-06-2014 | Posts: 4,855
Joined: Oct 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
I think we only went to a calculated 17 over reference in dlbecks old theater --- right desertdome? If so -- we've gotta get to 19 -- reclaim that midwest record!!!

It can be like the stadium dB wars
Pffft, east coast rules! The ape man will retain his crown...
Sibuna's Avatar Sibuna
02:20 PM Liked: 350
post #68 of 151
08-06-2014 | Posts: 2,269
Joined: Apr 2010
We were listening to "Orion" from the same disk and rilla told me we could not play it at anything less than +10
lukeamdman's Avatar lukeamdman
02:37 PM Liked: 229
post #69 of 151
08-06-2014 | Posts: 1,739
Joined: May 2011
Congrats!

The reviews in your GTG threads are what led me to buying the same Yorkville speakers without hearing them first. No regrets!
beastaudio's Avatar beastaudio
03:25 PM Liked: 1033
post #70 of 151
08-06-2014 | Posts: 8,370
Joined: Dec 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sibuna View Post
We were listening to "Orion" from the same disk and rilla told me we could not play it at anything less than +10

Agreed! I have taken that one to +15 before and it is almost as awesome as "One" but not quite there.... Both are visceral at +15-ish though
carp's Avatar carp
03:27 PM Liked: 664
post #71 of 151
08-06-2014 | Posts: 5,918
Joined: Aug 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorilla83 View Post
"One" from Metallica's Through the never blu ray. I'm sure @carp is more than familiar already.
Quote:
Originally Posted by craig john View Post
Since then, I have purchased a copy of Through The Never in 3D. I'm not a big Metallica fan, but that's a pretty fun concert! The 3D adds another level of incredibleness.

Craig

Yep, love that disk! I've been trying to get Archaea to watch it but no luck so far. The fact that there are real instruments in it doesn't help.
carp's Avatar carp
03:30 PM Liked: 664
post #72 of 151
08-06-2014 | Posts: 5,918
Joined: Aug 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sibuna View Post
We were listening to "Orion" from the same disk and rilla told me we could not play it at anything less than +10
Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post
Agreed! I have taken that one to +15 before and it is almost as awesome as "One" but not quite there.... Both are visceral at +15-ish though
Orion is my all time favorite song. I don't play it often, especially that version, since I think I lose a bit of hearing every time I do. My ears have been a bit shot lately so other than testing with ear plugs I think my over reference days might be over.
Archaea's Avatar Archaea
03:46 PM Liked: 972
post #73 of 151
08-06-2014 | Posts: 6,871
Joined: Apr 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post
Yep, love that disk! I've been trying to get Archaea to watch it but no luck so far. The fact that there are real instruments in it doesn't help.
I watched some of it on netflix this past weekend to get an idea of what all the commotion was about. I was surprised to see Through the Never on Netflix, but there it was.

I'll have to queue up that particular track and see how it goes.
Netflix has only a few concerts to watch when you type in 'concert', but they are pretty cool. I also sampled the Madonna concert and the Pink concert in addition to the Metallica concert - since they also pulled up in my search.

I need to purchase some concert disks...That one that Craig John demoed with the Orchestra was better than Through the Never.

*ducks and dodges


Which concert disk blurays are absolute must buys?
carp's Avatar carp
03:53 PM Liked: 664
post #74 of 151
08-06-2014 | Posts: 5,918
Joined: Aug 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
I watched some of it on netflix this past weekend to get an idea of what all the commotion was about. I was surprised to see Through the Never on Netflix, but there it was.

I'll have to queue up that particular track and see how it goes.
Netflix has only a few concerts to watch when you type in 'concert', but they are pretty cool. I also sampled the Madonna concert and the Pink concert in addition to the Metallica concert - since they also pulled up in my search.

I need to purchase some concert disks...That one that Craig John demoed with the Orchestra was better than Through the Never.

*ducks and dodges


Which concert disk blurays are absolute must buys?


You can't stream it!!! That's going to sound like poop. I think the 3D disk in your room would be awesome.
carp's Avatar carp
04:14 PM Liked: 664
post #75 of 151
08-06-2014 | Posts: 5,918
Joined: Aug 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Which concert disk blurays are absolute must buys?
Well, other than Through the Never...

One of my all time favorites is Black Symphony by Within Temptation.

Here is a mellow duet from it. Gives me goose bumps. Fast forward to 1:40


carp's Avatar carp
04:17 PM Liked: 664
post #76 of 151
08-06-2014 | Posts: 5,918
Joined: Aug 2003
Sorry to completely derail Gorilla's thread but this is ticking me off. Anytime I try to post a youtube video with a time stamp the link just goes to the beginning of the video.

This was never a problem before the forum change, has anyone figured out how to post youtube videos with time stamps since the change?
Reefdvr27's Avatar Reefdvr27
04:20 PM Liked: 605
post #77 of 151
08-06-2014 | Posts: 3,366
Joined: Dec 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorilla83 View Post
"One" from Metallica's Through the never blu ray. I'm sure @carp is more than familiar already.
IMO In Through the Never "One' should be played at every GTG. It is certainly a fantastic demo.
Reefdvr27's Avatar Reefdvr27
04:26 PM Liked: 605
post #78 of 151
08-06-2014 | Posts: 3,366
Joined: Dec 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post

Which concert disk blurays are absolute must buys?
I picked up The Eagles Farewell Tour from Melbourne. Heard that at Gorilla's and it was excellent and I bought it. Billy Joel at Shea, David Gilmour Remember that night and AC/DC live at Donington to name a few. I picked up the new Woodstock release last week and also Led Zepplin the Song remains the same. Have not watched either but have seen clips in the past. Curious how they are remastered on Blu Ray.
craig john's Avatar craig john
04:56 PM Liked: 392
post #79 of 151
08-06-2014 | Posts: 10,427
Joined: Oct 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
I need to purchase some concert disks...That one that Craig John demoed with the Orchestra was better than Through the Never.

*ducks and dodges


Which concert disk blurays are absolute must buys?
This is one I played for you guys:


Here's some more of my favorites:



















and any or all of Eric Clapton's Crossroads Guitar Festival concerts.

That should get you started.

Craig
craig john's Avatar craig john
05:24 PM Liked: 392
post #80 of 151
08-06-2014 | Posts: 10,427
Joined: Oct 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post
Well, other than Through the Never...

One of my all time favorites is Black Symphony by Within Temptation.

Here is a mellow duet from it. Gives me goose bumps. Fast forward to 1:40
For a duet, check out Andrea Bocelli and Katherine McPhee singing "The Prayer" on David Foster and Friends.


I wish I had taken that along to Andrew's. I would like to have heard it on his system. (gratuitous "back on topic" comment)
beastaudio's Avatar beastaudio
06:18 PM Liked: 1033
post #81 of 151
08-06-2014 | Posts: 8,370
Joined: Dec 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
I watched some of it on netflix this past weekend to get an idea of what all the commotion was about. I was surprised to see Through the Never on Netflix, but there it was.

I'll have to queue up that particular track and see how it goes.
Netflix has only a few concerts to watch when you type in 'concert', but they are pretty cool. I also sampled the Madonna concert and the Pink concert in addition to the Metallica concert - since they also pulled up in my search.

I need to purchase some concert disks...That one that Craig John demoed with the Orchestra was better than Through the Never.

*ducks and dodges


Which concert disk blurays are absolute must buys?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefdvr27 View Post
I picked up The Eagles Farewell Tour from Melbourne. Heard that at Gorilla's and it was excellent and I bought it. Billy Joel at Shea, David Gilmour Remember that night and AC/DC live at Donington to name a few. I picked up the new Woodstock release last week and also Led Zepplin the Song remains the same. Have not watched either but have seen clips in the past. Curious how they are remastered on Blu Ray.
I second the eagles farewell "ONE" tour

Michael Jackson's "This is It" is incredible and I don't really dig most of the music but thriller and beat it are both incredible

Steve Vai's most recent BD is great and has some killer tracks

Dave and Tim at radio city is definite go-to

Rush's Time Machine, man, just another incredible one

Mumford and Son's live at red rocks is also pretty awesome and mostly acoustically done so I great tester for overall system performance

I can list several more but those are some of my faves at this point.
Gorilla83's Avatar Gorilla83
07:38 PM Liked: 452
post #82 of 151
08-06-2014 | Posts: 3,635
Joined: Aug 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeamdman View Post
Congrats!

The reviews in your GTG threads are what led me to buying the same Yorkville speakers without hearing them first. No regrets!
Thanks Luke! Glad you are enjoying your Yorks as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post
You can't stream it!!! That's going to sound like poop. I think the 3D disk in your room would be awesome.
Agreed! J- Invest in the disc, well worth it even if you only are into that soft stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by craig john View Post
This is one I played for you guys:


Here's some more of my favorites:



















and any or all of Eric Clapton's Crossroads Guitar Festival concerts.

That should get you started.

Craig
Thanks for the suggestions Craig - I've heard good things about the Jeff Beck disc. Might have to pick that one up.

Also - for any Foo fighters fans out there I enjoy my "Live at Wembley stadium" disc:
http://www.amazon.com/Foo-Fighters-W...s+live+blu+ray

I'll have to add this R&R hall of fame set to my list as well - many many fantastic tracks:

http://www.amazon.com/25th-Anniversa..._2959141011_59
Sibuna's Avatar Sibuna
07:41 PM Liked: 350
post #83 of 151
08-06-2014 | Posts: 2,269
Joined: Apr 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post
Well, other than Through the Never...

One of my all time favorites is Black Symphony by Within Temptation.

Here is a mellow duet from it. Gives me goose bumps. Fast forward to 1:40

http://youtu.be/IR_mBh5mqok?t=1m40s
i 100% support this
also Dream Theater live at Budokan

Zappa Plays Zappa is also very good if you like Zappa
cardoski's Avatar cardoski
07:42 PM Liked: 120
post #84 of 151
08-06-2014 | Posts: 981
Joined: Feb 2011
I watched led Zepplin at Madison Square Gardens in 1973 on the weekend, pretty awesome. No big stage show just amazing musicians doing their thang. It has been remixed to 5.1 on the Blu-ray, which I love. Watching concerts on the big screen is really awesome, turn the lights of turn the volume up and spark what ever you spark. :-)
Gorilla83's Avatar Gorilla83
07:45 PM Liked: 452
post #85 of 151
08-06-2014 | Posts: 3,635
Joined: Aug 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by craig john View Post
For a duet, check out Andrea Bocelli and Katherine McPhee singing "The Prayer" on David Foster and Friends.

http://youtu.be/5ZGGqe293MM

I wish I had taken that along to Andrew's. I would like to have heard it on his system. (gratuitous "back on topic" comment)
Never too late, Craig.
carp's Avatar carp
09:02 PM Liked: 664
post #86 of 151
08-06-2014 | Posts: 5,918
Joined: Aug 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by craig john View Post
For a duet, check out Andrea Bocelli and Katherine McPhee singing "The Prayer" on David Foster and Friends.

http://youtu.be/5ZGGqe293MM

I wish I had taken that along to Andrew's. I would like to have heard it on his system. (gratuitous "back on topic" comment)
Outstanding, sounds amazing on my Grado's - I'll have to check it out tomorrow on the 215's.
lbrown105's Avatar lbrown105
09:14 PM Liked: 150
post #87 of 151
08-06-2014 | Posts: 1,119
Joined: Nov 2011
NIN-Beside You in Time Blu Ray sounds really good at +15. Video quality is really good too. IMO on par with Metallica Through the Never.
JimWilson's Avatar JimWilson
09:16 PM Liked: 461
post #88 of 151
08-06-2014 | Posts: 4,855
Joined: Oct 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Netflix has only a few concerts to watch when you type in 'concert', but they are pretty cool. I also sampled the Madonna concert and the Pink concert in addition to the Metallica concert - since they also pulled up in my search.
Madonna?! Pink!?! Carp, head over to Jonathan's and repo his man card immediately! This is heresy.
JimWilson's Avatar JimWilson
09:18 PM Liked: 461
post #89 of 151
08-06-2014 | Posts: 4,855
Joined: Oct 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post
Steve Vai's most recent BD is great and has some killer tracks
Anything Steve Vai for that matter. Have you seen him live? I have, and it's nothing short of incredible.
JimWilson's Avatar JimWilson
09:19 PM Liked: 461
post #90 of 151
08-06-2014 | Posts: 4,855
Joined: Oct 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorilla83 View Post
Also - for any Foo fighters fans out there I enjoy my "Live at Wembley stadium" disc:
http://www.amazon.com/Foo-Fighters-W...s+live+blu+ray

Yup, that's another good one.
Tags: frontpage

Reply Community News & Polls

Subscribe to this Thread

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3