Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 516 Post(s)
Liked: 558
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sibuna View Post
i 100% support this
also Dream Theater live at Budokan

Zappa Plays Zappa is also very good if you like Zappa
Oh yes love dt DT at Budakan. The extended guitar solo on Hollow Years alone is worth buying that disk.

Iron Maiden Flight 666. Every song is at a different venue/city and their lead singer is the pilot (Bruce Dickinson) that flies the band and all the road crew/gear from city to city. Cool documentary with it too.
Reddig likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 151 Old 08-06-2014, 08:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 516 Post(s)
Liked: 558
Quote:
Originally Posted by lbrown105 View Post
NIN-Beside You in Time Blu Ray sounds really good at +15. Video quality is really good too. IMO on par with Metallica Through the Never.
Yep that disks sound quality is amazing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWilson View Post
Madonna?! Pink!?! Carp, head over to Jonathan's and repo his man card immediately! This is heresy.
Haha, I didn't even blink when he said that I'm so used to it. I have to admit though that I'll watch pretty much anything on Palladia and pink was on one night and she has a hell of a voice!

Quote:
Anything Steve Vai for that matter. Have you seen him live? I have, and it's nothing short of incredible.

Love Steve Vai. I ever so slightly prefer Satriani but both are great. I've got a G3 concert with those 2 and Eric Johnson - outstanding.
post #93 of 151 Old 08-06-2014, 09:23 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 323
Quote:
Anything Steve Vai for that matter. Have you seen him live? I have, and it's nothing short of incredible.
If you like Steve Vai, check out Joe Bonamassa. He's a Philly guy... and an absolutely incredible guitarist! Different sound than Steve Vai, but similar level of guitar skills. I linked to one of his BD concerts above.

Craig

Lombardi said it:
Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence."

My System

post #94 of 151 Old 08-07-2014, 05:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Liked: 397
Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post
Haha, I didn't even blink when he said that I'm so used to it. I have to admit though that I'll watch pretty much anything on Palladia and pink was on one night and she has a hell of a voice!
I might have to come and get your card myself...

Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post
Love Steve Vai. I ever so slightly prefer Satriani but both are great. I've got a G3 concert with those 2 and Eric Johnson - outstanding.
Awesome disk - I listen to it all the time (I'm a live music junkie, so a CD of a concert from those guys is heaven for me). AAMOF, my next review features a song from that one; the Going Down jam which features all 3 of them.

If you take yourself too seriously expect me to do the exact opposite
post #95 of 151 Old 08-07-2014, 06:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by craig john View Post
If you like Steve Vai, check out Joe Bonamassa. He's a Philly guy... and an absolutely incredible guitarist! Different sound than Steve Vai, but similar level of guitar skills. I linked to one of his BD concerts above.

Oh yea, I'm quite familiar with JB. I've seen him in concert too. Very soulful guitarist who lives and breaths the blues. He probably excels at the acoustic even more than the electric though; other than Tommy Emmanuel I've never seen anyone play an acoustic like Joe. Check out this one...

JB
corradizo and Steve119 like this.

post #96 of 151 Old 08-07-2014, 06:11 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorilla83 View Post
Never too late, Craig.
Just make sure I'm on your contact list when you do any more +15 demos. I need a fix periodically.

See My System Here

"Wolves don't lose sleep over the opinions of sheep."
post #97 of 151 Old 08-07-2014, 06:54 AM
Say No to Auto EQ

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 697 Post(s)
Liked: 882
Quote:
I have to tell this story, even if it bores some. In college I was on the university's ski and snowboard team, and on the way to WV for one of the races I was playing some Satch with several other guys in the car. My co-pilot at that point got really interested in the technicality and we talked about Satch, Vai, Johnson, JP, and other incredible electric guitarists for basically the 5 hour trip. It wasn't a few weeks later that I was prepping to drive to Atlanta for the g3 '03 show with another friend that I got a call from my ski team buddy, and the convo went a little like this:

Him: Hey man, I know you are going to g3 on Wed, but I have to raffle of a pair of tix for the Tues. night show in Winston, would you be interested

Me: Sure! But I never win anything that comes from raffles...Period

Him: Well since we aren't going to do the raffle and just give them to you, at least pretend you are surprised when we call you back on air in about 5 minutes.

It was great! So my buddy and I went to see g3 (Vai, Satch, Malmsteen) two nights in a row, trekking across NC, SC, and GA to do it, but it was totally worth it! After the Atl show, my buddy had his ibanez that he had customized the paint job and such on that we got out of the car after the show and when Vai came out of the venue I held it up as high as I could so he could hopefully sign it. He came straight up to me, grabbed the guitar, shook my hand and said, "This is a pretty neat finish design! But you do know designed the rest of the guitar right?" Well, of course I did, but I think he could tell I knew the answer from the Sh$% eating grin I had on my face.

So yes, have I have shaken the hand of god, had him sign my shirt and guitar, and have since seen him right here in my little hometown both times he has been through here over the last 10 years. Incredible guy, even more incredible musician.

I highly recommend the g3 03 live in denver disk as the actual "Three Guitars" part where they all play, they do "voodoo child," "Little Wing" (My fave), and "Rockin in a free world" It is a heck of a set but malmsteen is a friggin joke. He was so jacked up at the shows I saw he could barely stand up. Never missed a note tho! Ok, boring story over time. Back on track here

(European models do not accept banana plugs.)

"If you done it, it ain't bragging." ~ Walt Whitman

AE TD12x SEOS12 Build

Beast's DIY Master Measurement Thread

DIY Emminence Coaxial Surround Thread

post #98 of 151 Old 08-07-2014, 07:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked: 252
I have been on AVS a long time and this visit to this particular thread has cost me more money on new Bluray Concerts than any other time. I went to look up some that were mentioned and it sort of got away on me. I'm not a Metallica fan so passed on that one.

Even when I'm not having a particularly good day, I am at least having a day!

New Theater 

Build Thread
post #99 of 151 Old 08-07-2014, 10:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 658 Post(s)
Liked: 480
Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy View Post
I have been on AVS a long time and this visit to this particular thread has cost me more money on new Bluray Concerts than any other time. I went to look up some that were mentioned and it sort of got away on me. I'm not a Metallica fan so passed on that one.

Even if you not a Metallica fan it is still worth the demo. I believe Craig John is not a Metallica fan and he loved the demo at our mini GTG. I would try and borrow it or rent if you can.
post #100 of 151 Old 08-07-2014, 11:59 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefdvr27 View Post
Even if you not a Metallica fan it is still worth the demo. I believe Craig John is not a Metallica fan and he loved the demo at our mini GTG. I would try and borrow it or rent if you can.
Agreed. You need to spend some more money!
post #101 of 151 Old 08-07-2014, 01:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post
It was great! So my buddy and I went to see g3 (Vai, Satch, Malmsteen) two nights in a row, trekking across NC, SC, and GA to do it, but it was totally worth it! After the Atl show, my buddy had his ibanez that he had customized the paint job and such on that we got out of the car after the show and when Vai came out of the venue I held it up as high as I could so he could hopefully sign it. He came straight up to me, grabbed the guitar, shook my hand and said, "This is a pretty neat finish design! But you do know designed the rest of the guitar right?" Well, of course I did, but I think he could tell I knew the answer from the Sh$% eating grin I had on my face.

So yes, have I have shaken the hand of god, had him sign my shirt and guitar, and have since seen him right here in my little hometown both times he has been through here over the last 10 years. Incredible guy, even more incredible musician.
That was a cool story! Thanks for sharing it.

Quote:
I highly recommend the g3 03 live in denver disk as the actual "Three Guitars" part where they all play, they do "voodoo child," "Little Wing" (My fave), and "Rockin in a free world" It is a heck of a set but malmsteen is a friggin joke. He was so jacked up at the shows I saw he could barely stand up. Never missed a note tho! Ok, boring story over time. Back on track here
I have never liked Malmsteen. Sure, he's talented, but very undisciplined as a guitarist. And narcissistic to boot; the only thing bigger than his gut would be his ego. It's always solo, solo, solo (hey, look at me!).

post #102 of 151 Old 08-07-2014, 01:23 PM
Say No to Auto EQ

Yep, haha, arpeggios are for people who want to look better than they really are...Haha. What am I talking about, I could never play them that fast....

AE TD12x SEOS12 Build

post #103 of 151 Old 08-07-2014, 01:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Why does that response not even marginally surprise me?

Craig: Which cut on the Andris Nelsons/Beethoven Piano Concerto Bluray would you recommend I listen to first??

New Theater 

Build Thread
post #104 of 151 Old 08-07-2014, 08:01 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Craig: Which cut on the Andris Nelsons/Beethoven Piano Concerto Bluray would you recommend I listen to first??
They're both really good, but I think the Rimsky-Korsakov, Scheherezade piece is more interesting and complex. Nonetheless, the whole disc is the classical music equivalent of "The Art of Flight." Watch/listen to the whole thing. The image quality is first rate. The sound quality is as good as it gets. The music is excellent. Andris Nelson is a unique and fascinating conductor; very interesting to watch. The musicians and soloists are incredible. Even if you're not a huge classical music fan, it's impossible not to appreciate the artistry on display throughout that disc. I expect you'll enjoy the whole thing. I know I do.

One disc I didn't see on your list was The Eagles, Farewell One. If you don't already own it, that is one concert video that you simply must have. It's absolutely the BEST concert video of all time... IMO. It originally came out in Hi-Def on HD DVD, and I bought an HD DVD player just so I could watch that concert in Hi-Def with DTS MA sound, (it was also the first concert video released with DTS MA sound.) It wasn't available at that time on BluRay; only on HD DVD; (remember that "format war"?) Later on, after HD DVD "lost" to BluRay, and I bought a BluRay player, I also kept my HD DVD player in my system for several years... just so I could continue to watch that one single Eagles concert video. About a year ago, it came out on BluRay. Once I got the BluRay I, (finally), removed the HD DVD player from my system. Nonetheless, that concert video is my all-time favorite, and is HIGHLY recommended, (by me)! In this case, I have no qualms whatsoever about saying that "You need to spend the money!"

Craig

Lombardi said it:
Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence."

My System

post #105 of 151 Old 08-07-2014, 09:32 PM
AVS Special Member

I have The Eagles concert in DVD format but have not watched in a long time. I just ordered it in Bluray so will be anxious to see/hear it again.

I finally got around to watching The Dave Matthews Concert which has been on my shelf for a very long time. Awesome !!! (but I would not want to watch it at Reference +15 !!)

New Theater 

Build Thread
post #106 of 151 Old 08-08-2014, 11:39 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Writer @ AVS

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1488 Post(s)
Liked: 2790
A lil' birdie just told me this thread will lead the AVS email newsletter that's going out shortly. Looking forward to a mini burst in traffic here. Congrats again!
blah450 and Gorilla83 like this.

Find out more about Mark Henninger at www.imagicdigital.com
post #107 of 151 Old 08-08-2014, 12:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 231 Post(s)
Liked: 398
Quote:
I have to tell this story, even if it bores some. In college I was on the university's ski and snowboard team, and on the way to WV for one of the races I was playing some Satch with several other guys in the car. My co-pilot at that point got really interested in the technicality and we talked about Satch, Vai, Johnson, JP, and other incredible electric guitarists for basically the 5 hour trip. It wasn't a few weeks later that I was prepping to drive to Atlanta for the g3 '03 show with another friend that I got a call from my ski team buddy, and the convo went a little like this:
Very cool, B! Thanks for sharing.

Quote:
Man, this thread also got the better of my blu ray concert budget. DMB live is coming today, and I think I'll grab that Orchestra disc for next weekend. Following that will be one of the Crossroads performances. New budget is one new disc per weekend for the next month - got to stretch the enjoyment a bit, right?

In all seriousness - thanks for the suggestions, and keep them coming.

Quote:
I have The Eagles concert in DVD format but have not watched in a long time. I just ordered it in Bluray so will be anxious to see/hear it again.

I finally got around to watching The Dave Matthews Concert which has been on my shelf for a very long time. Awesome !!! (but I would not want to watch it at Reference +15 !!)
Can't wait to crank that disc up tonight. +15 is possibly in the cards depending on who is listening with me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post
A lil' birdie just told me this thread will lead the AVS email newsletter that's going out shortly. Looking forward to a mini burst in traffic here. Congrats again!
Awesome!
post #108 of 151 Old 08-10-2014, 07:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 171
Congratulations Andrew! Awesome space and so glad I took the time to experience it. The Yorkvilles definitely exceeded my expectations.

Well deserved HToM.
post #109 of 151 Old 08-10-2014, 02:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlbeck View Post
Congratulations Andrew! Awesome space and so glad I took the time to experience it. The Yorkvilles definitely exceeded my expectations.

Well deserved HToM.
Thanks David! I'm glad you were able to come by and hang out for a bit. Let me know if you're planning to come out this way again anytime soon.
post #110 of 151 Old 08-12-2014, 04:32 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Hi Andrew!

Glad to see you got some well deserved recognition for your HT! Looks like it might have even improved since I was last there (with my son) when we picked up the SHO-10's. I am glad the Yorkvilles are gaining in popularity, since I seemed to be the only one that liked them the best at your GTG circa 18 months ago. All I need to do now is go buy some!

Sorry I missed your most recent GTG last week. I'm in Sea Isle City, NJ for the summer. Hopefully we will meet at dave's (reefdvr27) house in Cape May to see his new HT soon??

Dave
post #111 of 151 Old 08-13-2014, 05:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by easycruise View Post
Hi Andrew!

Glad to see you got some well deserved recognition for your HT! Looks like it might have even improved since I was last there (with my son) when we picked up the SHO-10's. I am glad the Yorkvilles are gaining in popularity, since I seemed to be the only one that liked them the best at your GTG circa 18 months ago. All I need to do now is go buy some!

Sorry I missed your most recent GTG last week. I'm in Sea Isle City, NJ for the summer. Hopefully we will meet at dave's (reefdvr27) house in Cape May to see his new HT soon??

Dave
Hey Dave,

Good to hear from you! Lots of changes to the room (and equipment) since you've been here last so you're overdue for a visit. I'm definitely up for seeing Dave's new theater (and speaker setup) once he gets it all done. Glad to hear you're enjoying your summer - have fun in SIC!

Andrew
post #112 of 151 Old 08-13-2014, 07:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 137
Absolutely gorgeous, all around. I am not sure which to envy, the CNC shop, the bar or the theater.

Nicely done. Thanks for the inspiration. Someday... and if it's 1/10th as nice as yours is I will be happy.

I am surprised though no one has asked the most important question: what's on tap?

post #113 of 151 Old 08-14-2014, 04:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StardogChampion View Post
Absolutely gorgeous, all around. I am not sure which to envy, the CNC shop, the bar or the theater.

Nicely done. Thanks for the inspiration. Someday... and if it's 1/10th as nice as yours is I will be happy.

I am surprised though no one has asked the most important question: what's on tap?
Thank you very much. As far as the tap - haven't had anything the keg fridge for quite a while. I believe last was Yuengling lager. Fridge is fully stocked with bottles for now though.
post #114 of 151 Old 08-14-2014, 10:50 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Awesome job, this has inspired me to explore several ways to improve our basement theater/playground. Two questions for Gorilla:

1) Since the false wall is against the baseboards, does any light leak out the side gaps from the area behind the screen?

2) Have you considered converting some of the black acoustic panels into acoustic posters? Link goes to what we've done at our place (sorry the pic quality is not good). I can see why you'd want to leave the ones closest to the screen as black panels, but some of the others could be posters without being a distraction during a movie.

post #115 of 151 Old 08-14-2014, 11:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedLefty View Post
Awesome job, this has inspired me to explore several ways to improve our basement theater/playground. Two questions for Gorilla:

1) Since the false wall is against the baseboards, does any light leak out the side gaps from the area behind the screen?

2) Have you considered converting some of the black acoustic panels into acoustic posters? Link goes to what we've done at our place (sorry the pic quality is not good). I can see why you'd want to leave the ones closest to the screen as black panels, but some of the others could be posters without being a distraction during a movie.
Hi Red,

1) No noticeable light leakage anywhere.

2) I had come across that thread before and found it very cool! I wouldn't mind doing a few of those, but of course would just need to decide what I would have printed! That is the hard part. Thanks for sharing.
post #116 of 151 Old 08-14-2014, 12:13 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Dimensions: Listening area is roughly 13x22, bar area width varies from 15-19 wide, and another 24' deep. Bar+ viewing area 13-19' wide, 46' deep.

And what is the height of your ceiling? I, like many, have a space in which the ceiling is lower than the normal 8' or more height.

Thanks and...great HT. It's inspired me to more forward on my own.
post #117 of 151 Old 08-14-2014, 01:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Oz View Post
Dimensions: Listening area is roughly 13x22, bar area width varies from 15-19 wide, and another 24' deep. Bar+ viewing area 13-19' wide, 46' deep.

And what is the height of your ceiling? I, like many, have a space in which the ceiling is lower than the normal 8' or more height.

Thanks and...great HT. It's inspired me to more forward on my own.
Hi Ed,

The drop ceiling height is right at 8' throughout my room. Thanks for the complement.

Andrew
post #118 of 151 Old 08-14-2014, 02:12 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post

Andrew Schutsky's humble basement hangout is proof that a top-notch home theater does not have to cost a fortune to build.

My first visit to the home theater of Andrew Schutsky (Gorilla83), located in Thornton, Pennsylvania, took place almost two years ago; it was my first AVS get-together. That visit included a subwoofer showdown, which is where I learned exactly how obsessed some AVS members are with accurate, full-range bass reproduction. When I recently paid a visit to Andrew, it was to see the fruits of all his recent labor. With his focus on maximum performance for the dollar, Andrew achieved a level of quality in his system that remains elusive to many audio/videophiles, even in some home theaters that cost significantly more to build. Furthermore, Andrew produced all of it without having to demolish the finished basement he inherited when he bought his house.

When discussing his design goals, Andrew said, "My primary objective was to provide a comfortable viewing area for my family and friends to watch movies, TV shows, and sporting events. My room and system were designed to provide very high performance levels on as low a budget as possible. From the feedback of the many AVS members that have visited so far, that goal was met successfully. "

As Andrew tells it, the theater itself had no planning phase per se. Instead, it evolved in an organic fashion, all of it documented on AVS forum in Andrew's build thread. "My system may be an exception; I wasn't starting from an empty space or room; I inherited a finished basement when we moved into this house almost four years ago. I've been making changes—drastic and tiny—almost monthly after we got settled in. My build thread outlines the journey from a few years back."

The space before Andrew built a theater. The system included a 65-inch Mitsubishi DLP HDTV and a Polk Monitor 70 speaker system.

After about a year, the old system came out, and construction of the theater began.

Although Andrew did not opt to demolish the existing finished basement and build from scratch, he did take care to optimize the visual and acoustical environment. Most of that work happened over the past couple of years. According to Andrew, "The first major overhaul occurred about a year or so after we moved in. In a two-year period, I've taken my theater space from a highly reflective and undesirable environment in terms of acoustics and light control to one that rivals top-notch theaters while maintaining a normal living area."

Andrew took a DIY approach to many elements of his home theater, including speakers, subwoofers, sound treatments, and the screen itself. In terms of both form and function, his theater provides a fully immersive experience. When it comes to sound reproduction, I enjoyed what I heard in Andrew's theater so much, it serves as a reference for me—even when compared to some of the megabucks stereo and surround-sound systems I've listened to at CEDIA, CES, and various high-end shows.

Building the theater involved stuffing a lot of sound-insulation material behind the drywall and above the drop ceiling—Andrew used up to 2 feet of insulation in some areas. The ceiling itself is made of Certainteed Theater Black F ceiling tiles. I like how his false front wall incorporates an acoustically transparent screen. The wall stays in place using magnets, making it easy to access the formidable stack of speaker components hidden behind it. The materials and techniques Andrew used to tame the room's acoustics are effective and relatively inexpensive to deploy—namely, rigid and semi-rigid fiberboard sound insulation for DIY acoustical treatments such as bass traps and sound-absorbing panels.

There is up to 2 feet of insulation above the drop ceiling, and even more insulation behind the screen.

The DIY approach paid off handsomely when it came to the final material cost, which Andrew estimates at $3500 in supplies. In addition, judicious selection of equipment kept his AV-electronics costs down to approximately $13,000. I have encountered systems that cost 10 times as much and more, yet do not have the precision, clarity, and dynamic impact of Andrew's system. "99% of my room—including some of the speakers, subs, treatments—was DIY," he says. "The only item that I contracted out was the carpet installation on my riser. "

As with any home-theater project, there were challenges to go along with the rewards. I asked how he met those challenges. "My wife can attest that I am my own worst critic!" he laughed. "I have a passion for learning, and this has been very good and very bad—the more I learn, the more I want to improve the room, setup, and equipment. I've gone from a basic room that sounded 'pretty good' using commercial equipment, to going nutso in the DIY arena. This includes constructing an entire building outside to house a CNC [computer numerical control] milling machine and full workshop."

Andrew enjoys the fruits of his labor, noting, "After every change, the first listen is always SO satisfying. Some of my favorite additions included adding the riser, the four dual-opposed 18" subs, and the AT screen."

Four dual-opposed subwoofers add up to eight 18" drivers. That's a rarefied amount of deep-bass capacity—just the sort of subwoofer arsenal you would typically find in a large movie theater. Thanks to the use of a sealed configuration in the dual-opposed cabinets, these subs can play down to single-digit hertz at above-reference levels. I've honestly never heard commercial subs do what Andrew's subs can do; he is part of an elite group of AVS DIYers whose systems have no practical limitations reproducing the entire audible audio spectrum as well as the infrasonic frequencies that lie below it.

A peek at the tower of audio power that currently resides behind the acoustically transparent screen.

In addition to the subs behind the screen, Andrew recently added a nearfield sub containing two more 18" drivers, located just behind the riser.

Andrew's attention to detail doesn't come as a surprise when you consider his profession—he works in IT, supporting the entire manufacturing process at a pharmaceutical company. He is also a family man, happily married for over four years. He has an 11-month-old son, and the family enjoys the company of their pet, a three-year-old retriever/shepherd mix.

It's amazing to see how Andrew transformed his basement into a top-notch home theater. The best part is that he's not done evolving his theater. As impressive as his theater is today, I'm also excited to see what comes next. For example, at a recent mini get-together, Andrew mentioned that he is thinking of rebuilding his behind-screen subwoofer enclosures.

I spent a lot of time discussing the sound system, because Andrew's theater achieves rarefied levels of audio fidelity. However, home theater is also about the viewing environment, and this room does not disappoint when it comes to providing an immersive visual experience. Since my last visit, the most-marked improvement was going all black on the ceiling. Now, thanks to the improved light absorption, his 135-inch 16:9 Seymour AV Center Stage XD acoustically transparent screen displays an enviable degree of contrast and color pop when lit up by his Epson 8700UB projector. The performance of this room is a reminder of the value of acoustical treatments and controlled lighting when it comes to creating a high-quality viewing and listening experience.

Now, the Humble Hangout is a home theater worth bragging about. Photo by Mark Henninger

You could say that I'm more familiar with Andrew's home theater than any other aside from my own. That's because I've spent many hours there listening to some of the finest sounding music and demoing movies that looked and sounded fantastic. In fact, I've used his theater as a proving ground for my own DIY subwoofers and my current speakers—thanks to the AVS get-togethers he hosts on a regular basis. Andrew is always open to audio experimentation, and he shares everything he does with the community in threads such as this one about the recent mini get-together, which was really about saying goodbye to one of the gang, Austin Haylock (popalock), whose home theater was the first-ever AVS HToM.

Assembling a DIY subwoofer enclosure at a recent get-together. Photo by Mark Henninger

I'm a sucker for any system that achieves elite performance at a mere fraction of high-end prices. In fact, I love to find high-performance systems that cost less than the sales tax on high-end systems of similar capability. Thanks to his DIY creations, Andrew is in a rarefied club of AVS members whose home theater systems look and sound just as good as some of the best pro designs I've experienced. Needless to say, I look forward to his future upgrades and to any future potential get-togethers. Andrew's humble basement home-theater hangout is well worth the trip.

For much more detail about how Andrew's home theater came together, check out the build thread here. If you are not familiar with the world of DIY audio, you might be surprised at how much knowledge you'll find in that community.

If you'd like your home theater considered for HT of the Month, PM Scott Wilkinson or me with the details and a link to your build thread if available.

EQUIPMENT LIST

Sources

Oppo BDP-93 Blu-ray player
Roku 3 streamer
Sony PS3 game console
Verizon FIOS HD STB
Samsung model n120 netbook (video and display for tweaking EQ and measuring room)

AV Electronics

Denon AVR-4311CI receiver (currently used in pre-pro mode)
Sherbourn A7-350 7-channel power amplifier (mains and surrounds)
Peavey IPR2 7500 power amps for dual-opposed subwoofers (2)
Behringer Inuke 6000 for nearfield subs

Projector

Epson PowerLite Pro Cinema 8700UB

Screen

Seymour AV Center Stage XD (135", 16:9, 1.1 gain, acoustically transparent fabric, grommet tensioning system, Fidello Triple black velvet edges, DIY frame)

Processors

MiniDSP 10x10 digital EQ

Speakers

Yorkville U215B (LCR)
JBL 8340A (2, surrounds)
DIY SEOS 10 hybrid (2, surrounds)
DIY subwoofers (8 Stereo Integrity 18" drivers in 4 dual-opposed 7.5 cubic foot enclosures
DIY nearfield subwoofers (2 Stereo Integrity 18" drivers in one front-firing 8 cubic foot enclosure)

AV Cabling

Monoprice and Mediabridge cabling, speaker wire

Control

Logitech Harmony Touch
DIY relay boxes to trigger power amps on/off

Power Conditioning

Panamax max 4400 20A power-conditioning boxes (2)

Seating

Raymour and Flanigan recliners (3 front row, 3 in second row)
DIY riser (9' wide, 7' deep)

Like AVS Forum on Facebook
Follow AVS Forum on Twitter
+1 AVS Forum on Google+
i guess people have different definitions of fortune.
i'm debating whether to spend 2k on a new tv or not....that's a fortune to me. But over 13k isn't to some people....like Bill Gates.
post #119 of 151 Old 08-14-2014, 03:10 PM
Say No to Auto EQ

Lord,

First off, most incredible screen name EVER. I love it! Second, if you take into context that Andrew's theater performs on that which others would pay in the six digits for, it is an incredible transformation! DIY has its merits and cost savings is one of the biggest. Finding performance in some everyday type speakers and such is paramount, and while the process is never-ending, for those that like to tinker and push the limits, these types of theaters can be realized over a couple year's time!
carp, blah450 and Gorilla83 like this.

AE TD12x SEOS12 Build

post #120 of 151 Old 08-14-2014, 05:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
First off, most incredible screen name EVER. I love it! Second, if you take into context that Andrew's theater performs on that which others would pay in the six digits for, it is an incredible transformation!

Third, someone should inform him that quoting the entire article is a ridiculous...

Reply Community News & Polls

Tags
frontpage

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page